BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-05-05 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3435045

User image

Alaska
Subject: RE: BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE!

Trina,

Here's some input on use of the watches. I have used mine for several years so I have my button use down! Your button use may vary from mine but this is what I do.

On the Garmin 305, I usually have it so 4 screens show but if I am doing a workout that I need to focus on one particular screen, I will put it to 3 screens with the most important screen in the bigger box. So if it is an HR workout that would be bigger. Or if I wanted to keep a certain pace, I would set the pace box bigger. The other thing is the big screen will show the seconds after an hour where the smaller ones, the seconds disappear after an hour. So I do fiddle with it every once in awhile.

On the Timex. Use the left bottom button to get to the mode, which is usually “chrono” mode for timing your workout and then “review” mode afterward.

When in chrono mode, you can use the right top button to (re)set your display. I usually have it on Lap and HR. Again if I am doing an hr workout, I use that as the bottom or big display and if I am doing a timed interval workout (or during the triathlon), I use Lap as the bottom/big display. This (big display) has become more of an issue as I get older. If you are not using the hrm function, the options are lap and split. The lap will give you the time for that lap or interval, the split will give you overall time.

To start timing just press the button on the lower part of the face of the watch to start and then press again for each interval or lap, when you are finished with your workout press the top right button to stop the timing.  If you are interrupted during your workout and don’t want to include that time in your overall workout you can press, stop, that top right button and then just hit the start button again to continue where you left off. But remember to restart and to press the stop button when finished with the workout. I sometimes forget to do this.

When in review mode, you use the button on the lower part of the face of the watch to scroll through your workout, if you have input your HR zones, it will give you the time in your desired zone. Then your avg HR for entire workout, then peak and min HR and total calories. Then it goes through your laps and splits, with the last split having your overall time. And each lap having its own avg HR, assuming you used that function during your workout.

This is what works for me. Hopefully this information will help get you using and liking the watch.

2011-05-05 3:40 PM
in reply to: #3483427

User image

Concord

A follow up question on the bricks.  When should one start (and stop) doing them in relation to a race?

My tri is June 26.  Should I already be doing bricks and when should I stop?  (I can comfortably swim, ride and run the necessary distances and in the case of the swim and ride, do more.)  How often a week should I do bricks? (I'm really hoping the answer is 1x)

Since Steve suggested a format for bricks that is "NOT ... an early foray into bricks,"  what would be a brick workout that is an "early foray into bricks"?  I've considered riding to my gym (@ 2 mi) swim and then ride back or simply combining a shorter ride followed by a run.  Any suggstions would be great. (I'll continue to dig around on this site and in the books I have at home.)

Thanks for the info on the watches.  I think I'll get a Timex 100 lap.

Canon

2011-05-05 5:45 PM
in reply to: #3484217

User image

Champion

CANON -

One time a week would be fine, and you should probably make the last one a week or more out from the race. As it's a sprint you're doing, you ca get by with a maximum of a 15-minute run segment, and even 10 would work. The idea of bricks is to get you accustomed to "running off the bike", with the idea that it is the first few minutes that present the problems. That's why most bricks for sprints would be no more than 15 minutes for the run part.

Going further, you have three common, reasonable brick flavors from which to choose(in minutes, and bike/run) -- 30/10, 45/10, 45/15. Now of course you can split differences -- say, 40/10....or 40/7.5.....or 35/5; really, whatever fits your plan. The best results will come from a bike that is pretty clsoe to the time or distance it will take to do that segment in the race, but as I said above, the run part is designed more to getting used to the feeling of getting the legs in running mode after cycling for xx minutes.

Remind me to tell you (and everyone) my fave-rave technique for helping to get your running legs with the program BEFORE you get off the bike. It's not 100% failproof, but it sure doies help!

2011-05-05 5:49 PM
in reply to: #3484414

User image

Champion

CANON again -

I have to go back and see what all has been said about watches, but for now I can tell you that since early '03 I have EXCLUSIVELY used a Timex 50-lap model, the original Sleek. It is very light, very airy, very low-profile. I say "original" there becasue they have a second 50-lap Sleek that is not as light/airy/low as mine. I will try to find a photo of mine on line so you can see the object of my affection. GREAT little unit!!

2011-05-05 6:01 PM
in reply to: #3482902

User image

Champion

WHOA! Lotta stuff since late last night, and I hope to get to it before late tonight!

---------------------------------------------- ICKS ----------------------------------------------

As for those "Icks" ---- as I said, not "entry-level" bricks at all! For almost all uses, a standard brick will do just fine, and even last Sunday when I did a run/bike/run of 5km/30km/3.5km, that was pretty exceptional; that is, I usually just do a straight bike/run.

(Sunday's R/B/R was for an upcoming duathlon (in two days) that I MAY do -- wiating to see what covert (or overt!) messages my body sends me!)

2011-05-05 9:38 PM
in reply to: #3484425

User image

Champion

"BRICK BY BRICK" "BRICK BY BRICK" "BRICK BY BRICK" "BRICK BY BRICK"

With near-perfect timing, the new issue of "Triathlete" (June) arrived at my news store today, and one of the articles is "Brick by Brick", written by well-respected Matt Dixon. It is fairly short, divided into an intro a section titled "Potential positives of brick runs", and a counterpart part titled "Potential negatives of brick runs". I will write out the positive part later. For now, here is the negative part -- just so people don't go bonkers this weekend trying to do bigger-than-recommended bricks!

POTENTIAL NEGATIVES OF BRICK RUNS

"One of the issues of running off the bike is that it can easily become one of the most corrosive and risky training sessions of the week. Dragging yourself onto a run following a particularly fatiguing bike session promises you will be running with impaired form, costing more metabolically and increasing muscular damage and injury risk. When viewing the brick run as a single run workout, it is rare to see a high quality session in terms of pace, form, and progression. It's not that every session should feel fantastic and you should avoid hard work, but it's a good reason to avoid making a brick run a key running session for the week.
"A common sesssion prescribed by coaches is a medium-length ride with a longer run following, such as a three-hour ride followed by an hour run. Outside of time-efficiency, I fail to see the true value of a session like this, with the hour run often completed with poor form and at a slow pace. A more effective approach would be to complete the ride and then follow it with a short and easy light build run of about 15 minutes...."

I agree with that completely, but will also add that the numbers in the dsecond paragraph are appropriate ONLY for people training for a longer race -- an half-iron or full iron. For anybody doing an olympic- or sprint-distance race, they don't need to come anywhere near a 3-hour bike and a 1-hour run!!! See my recommendations to Canon, a few above this, for reasonable lengths of bricks for a sprint triathlon!!

2011-05-05 9:58 PM
in reply to: #3483393

User image

Champion

LISA -

Just a thought here.....and one you probably won't like to hear.

Yesterday I was in my favorite running-supply store and the guy in front of me was returning a pair of Kinvaras. When the clerk asked what was wrong with him, he simply siad that they didn't give him enough support for training. I am really bad at guesstimating weight, but I figure he was about 5'8" and maybe 155-165.

The point here is that, for many people, the new breed of lightweight "minimalistic" shoes are not supportive enough, and injuries occur. This is the same problem that has happened for years with more conventional racing flats, which is why so often those are the shoes you see only on the whippets -- small frame, maybe under 145 for men and 110 for women.

For years I couldn't manage a racing flat for more than about a mile, literally, and it wasn't until I re-invented my running form that I could handle lighter shoes such as Newtons, or Zoots when I tried them, or Saucony Type A3 when I tried it. I'm 6'2", and at low-170s in race season, so that shows that lightweight shoes CAN work for larger bodies. But I also run midfoot/forefoot, AND supinate, so many of the problems that happen to peoplemin light or minimal shoes don't affect me.

Often, those shoes will work for people for short distances, and the use of "racing" as a modifier for "flats" tells much of the story -- good for race day, not so good for everyday training. Much of this comes from evrything being scaled-down so dramatically, which includes the thickness of the sole and the small degree of heel-drop (meaning that the heel isn't much thicker than the far front of the shoe).

When you are recovered and ready to venture forth in the Kinvaras again, start REAL small -- maybe just five minutes. See how you feel, and after a short break switch to your old shoes (unless they are severely broken-down) to continue/finish the run. Or, just stop after the five minutes and allow yourself a full day to test your reaction to them. You could do that after a regular run day, just a tag-on five-minute test drive the next day.

Don't give up on them yet! They have a fine reputation in their short existence, and it might be that all your body needs is a bit of time to adjust to them. (My initial adjustment to Newtons was literally months, and it was quite rocky, to be sure.

I hope this helps....some!

2011-05-05 10:07 PM
in reply to: #3482902

User image

Champion

MICHAEL -

Hmmm. My neuroma problems never came with bruising, but at times when I had a dropped metatarsal head, there was bruising. It is entirely likely that you have both, and that it's the met head that is pressuring the nerve and producing the neuroma.

As for shoe differences, that goes with the turf, I think. Some shoes are immediate kilelrs for me, and others are perfectly fine. I don't know the reason for this, as even when I feel around inside a shoe to look for the salient features that either help of harm, depending, I can't come up with anything conclusive.

Nice swim workout -- grueling, to be sure! My race pace is about the same as yours, and it's a good day when I do an oly or half-iron at around 1:55/100. There have been precious few of those over the years, however!

2011-05-05 10:13 PM
in reply to: #3482937

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: BigSkiesMentorGroup - OPEN (but door barely ajar....)

SANDRA -

Glad to see you're back in business! Lynn does Zumba sometimes and says it is wicked hard. So, if you survived that, you're ready for anything!

I will sit back for a day or so and see how others respond to your question about open-water swimming alone. The reason I will keep quiet is that I always do it alone, and have since I began this stuff in '00....and so I'm not the one who has really sound advice for you. I can mention a few safety checks when the summer season is in full flow, but I'll wait and see what else comes up here from people who are more prudent than I have been!

I will say, however, that many people do their first non-pool triathlon with ZERO open-water training, so you will be fine as long as you have done decent swim training in the pool beforehand. More on that later, too, but for now here's a teaser -- "chasing bubbles". (What do you think that means? )

2011-05-05 11:56 PM

User image

Alaska
I'll chime in quickly on the open water swim. Please do not go by yourself. Although not optimal, you can swim by yourself but please have someone go with you at least to watch for your safety.

Edited by AKtri 2011-05-05 11:57 PM
2011-05-06 12:16 AM
in reply to: #3484727

winnipeg, MB

stevebradley - 2011-05-05 10:13 PM SANDRA - Glad to see you're back in business! Lynn does Zumba sometimes and says it is wicked hard. So, if you survived that, you're ready for anything! I will sit back for a day or so and see how others respond to your question about open-water swimming alone. The reason I will keep quiet is that I always do it alone, and have since I began this stuff in '00....and so I'm not the one who has really sound advice for you. I can mention a few safety checks when the summer season is in full flow, but I'll wait and see what else comes up here from people who are more prudent than I have been! I will say, however, that many people do their first non-pool triathlon with ZERO open-water training, so you will be fine as long as you have done decent swim training in the pool beforehand. More on that later, too, but for now here's a teaser -- "chasing bubbles". (What do you think that means? )

Yeah, I would like to hear how other people train for open swim. I can wait. I'm certainly not going out tomorrow 

As for Zumba, unbelievable how much we sweat there! But it is fun.

After the class, both injuries, the achilles tendon and the left knee (injured both crossed ligaments in January) were soar. However, I went to run another mile and a half today, and almost no pain anywhere which is a huge relief. Maybe I'll be able to run 3k on May 29th.

"chasing bubbles" I don't know what that means. Maybe swimming using a bad technique splashing water around? Or because there might be too many people around too close? or maybe while I'm drowning I'll chase and follow my own bubbles to find the surface again

Sandra

2011-05-06 8:23 AM

New user

Zumba-  I have wanted to try this class ever since one of my gyms added it to their schedule!  I am going to start going in two weeks...that's if a spot in the class opens up as predicted.  I've heard it's a lot of fun!

Steve:  my race is next weekend, 5/14.  Even though I am nervous about the race, I am also bummed that I don't have another race to train for.  So...I have kicked my searches into high gear and have been looking high and low and I might sign up for the Lurray sprint tri in VA.  I'm also exploring the VA Beach, Richmond, Delaware, North PA, NY (Binghamton & Poughkeepsie / NYC) area for other races (aquabikes, duathlons, sprints, and even would entertain an olympic if that was my only option).  Hopefully I'll be able to add at least two more to my schedule!  As far as swimming goes I guess I would like to improve on my kick and my speed.  I am going to check out the sites that someone posted to see waht I can find there.  I also spent a good two hours at Barnes and Noble reading through some triathlon magazines and blogs looking for ideas. 

As far as training goes for me I have really picked up my bike training.  I'm doing hill repeats, for about 5-6 miles, in the afternoons at work since the bike portion is the part that I am just flat out NOT good at.  Hopefully the effort will pay off. 

I had to work late on Wednesday so I missed the Newton running clinic at the running store.  Work always gets in the way of fun stuff!!!

2011-05-06 9:00 AM
in reply to: #3484727

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Steve,

Seeing how it is you that asked the question below I would say that....

Bubbles is the 1st name of the leading point earner in the USAT M60-64 AG 

Sorry couldn't resist!!

stevebradley - 2011-05-05 11:13 PM  but for now here's a teaser -- "chasing bubbles". (What do you think that means? )

2011-05-06 12:09 PM

User image

Alaska
I believe the "chasing bubbles" is something I would like to learn to do on the swim. I can never find the right bubbles. I get there and then I always think oh, this is easy I need to swim harder! And I go find the next set of bubbles. Oh! So maybe I am doing it right, though I would like to find bubbles that comfortably take me all the way into the finish! 
2011-05-06 2:27 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
Veronica - Thanks for the tutorial on the Timex. I'm going to play around with it tonight and see what happens. 
2011-05-06 8:38 PM

User image

Regular
Crystal Coast

Sandra,

A couple of thoughts from a novice that lives by the beach....I would recommend swimming with a group, of course. The master swim club here usually has a few people that go out and swim on the week-ends.  So I would recommend asking around and you will most likely find someone else that will want to try.  Once you go out, don't forget a bright color cap (better visibility) and I recommend your wet suit  in case you run into problems since the bouyancy can help.  I confess that I have done a few swims on my own.  I swim parrell and fairly close to the beach and only when it is flat out (no waves).  Out here I have the luxury of a relatively shallow water depth plus the beaches usually have enough people laying out/walking around that I am confident someone would be able tell the rescue squad which way my body was floating.  Overall the experience was helpful getting used to swimming without a black line on the bottom.  As far as sighting, not sure it helps given there is not much to sight on other than things in the far distance.  When my wife was practicing open water I took the kayak out and was the bouy (of course you have to watch your drift).   Have fun....

JK

2011-05-06 9:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

What a week!!

My husband had an MRI for a back problem that wouldn't go away, and they found an AAA - abdominal aortic aneurysm.  It's sometimes called "the silent killer" because it often has no symptoms, but can burst, and you die.  Not good that he has it, but very good that they found it.  So, we were sent to Duluth for the week - tests and then surgery,  They found another aneurysm in a leg artery.  They did this amazing surgery where they thread a stent through the arteries to the aorta and then inflate it - it has little hooks that attach. And there's a little sensor attached also, so for checkups, they just wave a wand over your abdomen and it measures the pressure.  Modern surgical technology is amazing.  He was sent home the day after surgery and we're home now and he is a very happy camper.

Steve - now that he's ok, I need some help figuring out what to do now that I've missed almost a week of workouts.  I had a sprint scheduled for tomorrow which I will miss - but no big deal.  I'm kind of panicky about the 1/2(July 17) but I think I can salvage this - mostly the bike I'm worried about.  Running will be fine I think, I'm up to 9 1/2 miles at a good pace.  Swimming will be slow but I've done a couple 2200 yds.  I have only ridden bike outside 4 times - I really think I should try to get in really a lot of biking.  Should I just go back to my regular schedule and just forget about last week??

Hope training is going well for everyone

Denise

2011-05-07 12:21 PM
in reply to: #3486298

User image

Champion

Good afternoon, gang!

Just back from a nearby duathlon (5km - 38.4km - 5km), with mixed results. When the final results are up, I will post a report. (Actually, they should be up soon, but I won't be writing anything cogent about it for a day or so.

This was an early-morning decison -- literally at about 6 a.m. I decided what the heck. I went into it with concerens about my left leg -- groin, hip, hamstring -- and kind of wanted to see what I was capable of, given the aches and the lack ofrecent training because of them (no ride since last Saturday, and just two runs since then).

Good news - the two runs. First one was 20:48, second was 21:16. I was sure the course was measured short a bit, and might've been by just a tad based on driving it after the race just to see for myself. It may have been 5km, and at worst it was 4.95km, so if I add about 15s to those times that'll be a good cushion -- and I am thrilled to knock off 5km runs at that speed this early in the season. Biggerm, though, was no pain to speak of, at least nothing compared to the discomfort on the bike.

Bad news, then -- the bike. The groin set everything off, and I just had reduced power and increased pain on the climbs. The last two loops (four loops in total) were especially uncomfortable. My average speed was about 19.4mph, on a course that I should've done about 20.5. My bike pacement was also probably much below what it should be, but so it goes.

ANYHOW, that's it for now!

2011-05-07 12:27 PM
in reply to: #3484803

User image

Champion

SANDRA -

Now that a few folks have made OWS comments, I will get to my own shortly. Stay tuned!

Those aerobic-focused classes can indeed be dangerous to your health! The kind of Yoga I do is fairly slow and quite gentle, but that's what messed up my hamstring earlier in the week. I really want to think LESSON LEARNED!, but knowing me I'll soon again try soemthing a bit tolo aggressively and pay the price for it. Doh!

Anyhow, very glad to hear you emerged from the Zumba aches with nothing seemingly wrong. Wonks and niggles are fine, just as long as you go away in short order!

2011-05-07 12:42 PM
in reply to: #3485048

User image

Champion

SARAH -

I'm sorry you couldn't do the Newton clinic, as I was living that one vicariously. Hopefuly, there wil be another one in your neck of the woods sometime soon.

As for your neck of the woods.....I see you have expanded your horizons! Those race options are looking more bountiful now, aren't they? Luray has been around for a long while and has a good reputation -- good choice!

I can tell you that of the Piranha races, Cape Henlopen is alot of fun. It's a short tri or du, and some years the tri has become a du due to rowdy water. Nice venue, and flatflatflat. Diamondman is a good half-iron, and I think a sprint is part of it also. I did the half-iron on a hot day in Sept '03, and running along the canal provides little respite from the sun. Aside from that, though, it was a good event. That's where the Lum's Pond races are held, at least out of the same park, so that race is probably worth looking at. Finally, in '08 I kinda did Brierman....but DNFed on the bike. Nice locale, but quite hilly!

A very sweet event just down the raod form Cape Henlopen is Make-A-Wish Triathlon, at bethany Beach. I did that last Sept, and loved it. The swim is point-to-point in the ocean, and the way it goes (N to S, or S to N) depends on how the currents are running on race morning. It's a hoot, being part of a mob of wetsuited fauna walking a mile down the beach to get to the starting part. Bike is falt, run is flatter. And the run has zero shade, so the 10km on a hot and windy day (as it was last year) can be taxing. But it's a terrific event with a ton of heart and soul, so you might want to look at it.

Finally, good commitment on the bike work! Those hill repeats will help a lot -- both strength and confidence. As you get more of them under your belt, try to push extra hard on the final 100 or 200 meters of each. Also, remind me to say something about "spinning small circles", okay?

Edited by stevebradley 2011-05-07 12:43 PM
2011-05-07 12:48 PM
in reply to: #3484716

User image

Champion

JK -

Good comments on the open water swims you do, and I especially enjoyed the one about someone being able to the saftey people which way your body floated. There's just never enough "gallows humor" in the world these days!

I also like the idea of being so focused on your wife that you have to be careful not to drift too much. I guess a swim to Ocracoke wasn't really what she had in mind, huh?

2011-05-07 12:51 PM
in reply to: #3486741

User image

Champion

SARAH again -

As for mkae-A-Wish, accoms can be a problem. There are lots of them in that area, but they can be a bit pricey. I ended up staying inland about 30 miles, and the name of the town escapes me. However, it was affordable and not bad driving back to Bethany early in the morning. I'll dig up the name of the town later.

2011-05-07 1:03 PM

User image

Champion

DENISE -

Okay, that's a scary week. However, it sounds like the resolutions are very good, so given the conditions that were dealt with it all ended about as favorably as could be hoped for. Is this something he has to watch out for, or is the cure lasting? I get the impression that check-ups will be done again, although it might be that what happened was THE check-up, with no more to follow.

I suspect a part of my current problme is somehting named the saphenous nerve, which is a new one on me. My chiropractor mentioned it, and I wil be anxious to see if my sports doctor, whom I see on Monday, thinks that's the problem. I always like knowing what's wrong with me, but I think nerve-based problems are tough to deal with. But your comments about your husband's procedure suggests that modern medicine can perform wondrous acts nowadays!

I'm sure I mentioned this to you before, but the double-edged sword of the Ontario Health Plan is that it is superb for run-of-the-mill treatment, but elective things can often take up to six months to be addressed; i.e., surgery. And any diddling around with anerve in my leg would be elective -- don't you think?

I'll be back soon!

2011-05-07 1:12 PM

User image

Champion

DENISE again -

About them misiin' workouts....

You say almost a week. Would that be five days or six? And how many did you miss in total, and beyond that, how many in each of the three disciplines?

The big thing is to let them go and carry on form here. If you try to fit them in to your upcoming week, you will do a disservice to both the missed ones AND the regularly-scheduled ones. HOWEVER!!!! If any of the missed ones were seemingly "key" workouts, then it might be good to try to slot it/them into your schedule IN PLACE OF some lesser-value workout. My guess, though, is that this far out from Racine none of the missed ones were really key; maybe one of them, at most.

As for getting worried, don't! You still have about 10 weeks until Racine, which is lots of time to make up for 5 or 6 days missed. And I think you've been a good girl at making workouts so far, so you can view this past weeka s a down week, time well worth being easy on yourself befor eyou dive back into things this coming week. I can say with just about 100% conviction that whatever you DIDN'T do this past week was something that your body greatly appreciated. I know it's preying on your mind, but as for your body -- it's perfectly copacetic with that "vacation" time you gave it!

2011-05-07 1:13 PM
in reply to: #3486765

User image

Champion

SANDRA -

More coming soon -- including "CHASING BUBBLES"!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  

of 57