BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bcagle25's Endurance Ninja's - Closed (Ninja school is in session) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2012-02-12 3:36 PM
in reply to: #3949904

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: bcagle25's Endurance Ninja's - Closed (Ninja school is in session)
Just finished the long run for the week. 17 miles in just under two hours. Had to do it on the treadmill for a host of reasons. Meant that there was no slacking on the pace. Actually felt great and I am glad to have it behind me.

Hope everyone else is doing well this weekend.

2012-02-12 6:45 PM
in reply to: #4043318

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
wannabefaster - 2012-02-12 3:36 PMJust finished the long run for the week. 17 miles in just under two hours. Had to do it on the treadmill for a host of reasons. Meant that there was no slacking on the pace. Actually felt great and I am glad to have it behind me. Hope everyone else is doing well this weekend.
17 miles on the treadmill and still smiling?!? Hats off to you for a great job! I did 10 miles on the indoor track (it was about 0F, and I'm not Justin) and I felt like it took forever, only 131 laps. I thought, well at least it's not the treadmill! I think the longest I've made it on the treadmill is about 7 miles. Hit all my key (and non key) workouts this week. Didn't hit my goal of getting my long run in today early, but finally drug myself out of the house around 11:45am. Not eating and running through lunch sure made the last 4 miles harder than they should have been. Hope everyone had a good weekend!! ---Ali
2012-02-12 6:52 PM
in reply to: #4042750

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
jsenc2002 - 2012-02-12 6:04 AMApologies for being out of commission for a couple weeks.  Work has been "fun", and the workouts have been suffering.  Hopefully will get back on track this week.  At least I think I have my first tri for the year planned in early June... that is a start!
Welcome back!! Sometimes it's hard to fit it all in! I've been dealing with sick kids since Thursday night, so it took a bit of juggling for me to get it all in the last couple of days. Just try and stay focused, and remember, working out is a great stress reliever!!
2012-02-12 7:45 PM
in reply to: #4043492

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Omahabritt - 2012-02-12 7:45 PM

wannabefaster - 2012-02-12 3:36 PMJust finished the long run for the week. 17 miles in just under two hours. Had to do it on the treadmill for a host of reasons. Meant that there was no slacking on the pace. Actually felt great and I am glad to have it behind me. Hope everyone else is doing well this weekend.
17 miles on the treadmill and still smiling?!? Hats off to you for a great job! I did 10 miles on the indoor track (it was about 0F, and I'm not Justin) and I felt like it took forever, only 131 laps. I thought, well at least it's not the treadmill! I think the longest I've made it on the treadmill is about 7 miles. Hit all my key (and non key) workouts this week. Didn't hit my goal of getting my long run in today early, but finally drug myself out of the house around 11:45am. Not eating and running through lunch sure made the last 4 miles harder than they should have been. Hope everyone had a good weekend!! ---Ali

It is funny that I think 131 laps on an indoor track would be harder for me than the treadmill. I like to put on a show or a movie, set the pace and then just zone out. I have to admit that I actually enjoy the treadmill. My wife was gone for the day and although my kids are big enough to leave home by themselves, I am not comfortable going for a two hour run knowing that if something happened it would take some time to get back. The treadmill or the trainer is perfect for those situations.

Nice job with getting all of your workouts in this week!
2012-02-12 9:29 PM

User image

Toronto-ish

Jason, was there anything in particular you did to get that fast?

Two hours for 17 hours seems like an awesome achievement to me, and I'm guessing that wasn't near as fast as you can.

2012-02-12 9:44 PM
in reply to: #4043720

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I have been running 100+ miles/month for three years now. Some months as much as 220 (rare), some as little as 105 (more common). I have been working with a coach for almost a year and he has me doing a lot of mile repeats at my running threshold pace. Lots and lots of miles. I am finally starting to see the fruits of that labor.

And yes, that is getting close to as fast as I can go for that distance....for now I actually was under 1:30 for the middle 13.1 miles of that run (again on the treadmill) which is getting close to my fastest HM run ever.

2012-02-13 5:12 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Hey Everyone!

back in the cold after a very enjoyable 9 days on Maui! Hope everyone has been doing well, slowly working my way through the posts that I have missed.

I didn't get to do any biking on the trip, but I swam everyday and I ran a new best 5K time of 27:58 in the 'Run for the Whales'. I am pretty happy with this as my last 5K in October was 31 something.

2012-02-13 6:37 AM

User image

Toronto-ish

Congratulations on the new 5K PR!!!!!!!!!!!

That's quite a reduction.

2012-02-13 2:00 PM
in reply to: #4043873

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
justinfss - 2012-02-13 5:12 AMHey Everyone!back in the cold after a very enjoyable 9 days on Maui! Hope everyone has been doing well, slowly working my way through the posts that I have missed. I didn't get to do any biking on the trip, but I swam everyday and I ran a new best 5K time of 27:58 in the 'Run for the Whales'. I am pretty happy with this as my last 5K in October was 31 something.
Welcome back Justin!! I'm glad you had a good trip and were able to enjoy some workouts in what I'm sure was great weather. Also, Great job on your new PR for your 5K!! See running outside in the freezing cold has its benefits, all the layers you have to wear weighs you down, but also makes you stronger and faster.---Ali
2012-02-14 1:21 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Hey all I am back, sorry for the week long departure. I am going to catch up on posts but it seems like everyone is rolling along well.

I'll post more when I get home tonight and can finally escape this lab of research, its been a bit too much this past week. 

2012-02-14 6:54 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I feel like I am reaping the benefits of the postal swim from a few weeks back. Something just clicked on that long continuous swim. Based on that I am starting to incorporate longer swims into each week and I am looking forward to my swims (for the first time in my life). Today I did 2000 continuous in 31:32 which is quite a bit faster than I think I could have done a month ago--still not fast but improving. I am finally getting some real core involvement/hip movement in my swimming.

Tonight is an attempt at a 20 min time trial on the trainer. The last two have been epic fails at between 13-15 minutes so I am going to try to start slower and pace myself. I dread this workout whenever I see it on the schedule. Maybe I just need to change my attitude.....

Justin, nice job on the 5K. How are you doing back in the cold? You are a better man than I when it comes to braving the elements.

2012-02-14 10:37 PM
in reply to: #4047874

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

wannabefaster - 2012-02-14 6:54 PM I feel like I am reaping the benefits of the postal swim from a few weeks back. Something just clicked on that long continuous swim. Based on that I am starting to incorporate longer swims into each week and I am looking forward to my swims (for the first time in my life). Today I did 2000 continuous in 31:32 which is quite a bit faster than I think I could have done a month ago--still not fast but improving. I am finally getting some real core involvement/hip movement in my swimming. Tonight is an attempt at a 20 min time trial on the trainer. The last two have been epic fails at between 13-15 minutes so I am going to try to start slower and pace myself. I dread this workout whenever I see it on the schedule. Maybe I just need to change my attitude..... Justin, nice job on the 5K. How are you doing back in the cold? You are a better man than I when it comes to braving the elements.

God I hate these, but they are extremely beneficial in more ways then one. Hope it went well tonight

2012-02-14 10:38 PM
in reply to: #4043873

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

justinfss - 2012-02-13 5:12 AM Hey Everyone! back in the cold after a very enjoyable 9 days on Maui! Hope everyone has been doing well, slowly working my way through the posts that I have missed. I didn't get to do any biking on the trip, but I swam everyday and I ran a new best 5K time of 27:58 in the 'Run for the Whales'. I am pretty happy with this as my last 5K in October was 31 something.

Got to run a 5k and PR while on vacation in Hawaii, man if that isn't a slice of heaven I don't know what is. Good work Justin!

2012-02-14 10:43 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

So Lance is back in triathlon and going "all-in" it seems. This can be very beneficial to the sport, or it good hurt the sport, maybe mores on the pro end then the AG'er end. He seems to be getting mostly a warm welcome but there are those that seem unhappy. What does everyone think!?

Personally I think it is great that he is involved and hopefully he can lure in some new athletes too, even some younger followers? Although I can see the frustration side of it from the pro end, but only to a point. Should be interesting how this plays out over the year. I am sure that WTC will have him doing some major promotional work for IMNYC.

2012-02-15 12:41 AM

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA

I think the more attraction to the sport the better, just look at golf and the ratings when Tiger is in a tournament or not. It was a very impressive showing for him. It made me pay more attention to the race. 

I am headed on vacation tomorrow until Monday. I was originally going to bring my bike but we are camping on a beach with dirt bikes and I don't want something to happen to it. The sand gets everywhere no matter how hard you try to keep it off. Luckily is was a scheduled recovery week. I will at least get a couple of runs in.

I am getting there on the swimming where I might have to try the postal swim!

2012-02-15 7:18 AM
in reply to: #4048154

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
bcagle25 - 2012-02-14 11:37 PM

God I hate these, but they are extremely beneficial in more ways then one. Hope it went well tonight

260 watts for 20 minutes. Most important, I did not blow up and now have a much better sense of pacing for this. I think I may have another 10-20 watts in me but I was cautious based on the last two tries.

2012-02-15 7:41 AM

User image

Toronto-ish

I look forward to seeing how Lance will do in tri's, and think it will draw more attention to the sport, but I'm having a hard time seeing how that is an advantage to us.

Lance=more press=more exposure=more interest=more people coming into the sport .... I get that. But how does that help? More athletes will mean more gear is being bought which will mean more money on R+D and more companies trying to get a piece of the pie, which is likely good, but beyond that what's the good side?

Races will fill up faster? Not really a benefit.

Demand for those spots will be higher so prices will go up to meet demand? No benefit.

There will be "highlights" coverage on sports shows? Not much of a benefit.

I can envision race directors trying to cash in by putting on more races, which would be a benefit if they have the infrastructure to maintain the quality.

And since Lance is 40 years old he likely won't be competitive for long, so I'm guessing this is likely to be a blip rather than a long-term influence.

Does anyone know how long the average new tri athlete stays in the sport? I'm guessing like most sports people get interested, active, and then something new comes along and they gravitate towards the new interest. For scuba diving it's 16 months. If tri-ing is similar it would suggest there could be a 16 month wave after Lance is done, then it will settle back down again.

2012-02-15 8:14 AM

User image

Toronto-ish

Question for the runners in the group: when building up distance for long slow distance before attempting speed work, what kind of distance threshold is being referred to? After what point do/can you start to work on speed?

2012-02-15 9:03 AM
in reply to: #4048390

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
wannabefaster - 2012-02-15 7:18 AM
bcagle25 - 2012-02-14 11:37 PM  

260 watts for 20 minutes. Most important, I did not blow up and now have a much better sense of pacing for this. I think I may have another 10-20 watts in me but I was cautious based on the last two tries.

This is one of the main reasons why I want to get a power meter. These tests are very hard to hold with only a HRM. I also feel that power meters give you much more honesty with your current level of fitness, etc. I have been on a HRM for the past 4 years now, but may just make the switch. Before I do that I need to learn more about the equipment itself b/c I don't know all the components that are involved with power meters, still fairly new to the technology. 

2012-02-15 9:08 AM
in reply to: #4048512

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
marvintpa - 2012-02-15 8:14 AM

Question for the runners in the group: when building up distance for long slow distance before attempting speed work, what kind of distance threshold is being referred to? After what point do/can you start to work on speed?

I have often pondered this thought as well. I feel that there is no specific threshold of distance/time that really needs to be covered. Rather, IMO it depends on running consistently for a long period of time. The jury is out on whether running lots of miles before doing major speed work does prevent injury, overtraining, etc. But what it does do is force your body to running efficiently, that is, only if you pay attention to your form day in and day out. FWIW I ran the BarryP program from Nov-Jan this winter, not long enough in his own eyes to start speed work, but I did feel a big difference when I started with my coach this month. I feel stronger, lighter on my feet, and more importantly that I run much more effectively. That is my 2 cents, ask someone else and you may get a completely different notion, but I am just speaking from exp. Oh and for a frame of reference below is my approx running mileage the past 3 years

2009: 350

2010: 600

2011: 850

2012-02-15 5:38 PM
in reply to: #4048637

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
bcagle25 - 2012-02-15 9:08 AM
marvintpa - 2012-02-15 8:14 AM

I have often pondered this thought as well. I feel that there is no specific threshold of distance/time that really needs to be covered. Rather, IMO it depends on running consistently for a long period of time. The jury is out on whether running lots of miles before doing major speed work does prevent injury, overtraining, etc. But what it does do is force your body to running efficiently, that is, only if you pay attention to your form day in and day out. FWIW I ran the BarryP program from Nov-Jan this winter, not long enough in his own eyes to start speed work, but I did feel a big difference when I started with my coach this month. I feel stronger, lighter on my feet, and more importantly that I run much more effectively. That is my 2 cents, ask someone else and you may get a completely different notion, but I am just speaking from exp. Oh and for a frame of reference below is my approx running mileage the past 3 years

2009: 350

2010: 600

2011: 850

2x- never really thought there was a specific distance to start, but the key is to have a good base (time not distance) to minimize the risk of injury. Also, if your wanting to try some speed work, start slow, all out sprints ARE NOT the way to go, no matter how short. Instead slowly adding strides, some track work (love to hate tempo 800's) and hills (not speed work, but will make you stronger and make speed easier) are some of my favorites. I've been a little hesitant to add speed work to my run as I'm a little worried about its affect on my bike and swim. That being said, I think it's time. I'm doing 8 miles tomorrow and I'm going to try and run the middle 6 and rp + 30 sec. I've not really been pushing it and I know I've been much faster in the past than I'm currently running (HM PR is 1:51, only had one HM over 2:00) without a ton of effort, so I need to step it up. When training for a HM, I saw the most improvement on race day with a plan that had long runs that increased by 2 miles every 2 weeks and 800's (a lot) on the track in place on the long run on the other weeks. (does that make sense?). ---Ali

2012-02-15 9:45 PM

Regular

With respect to repeats for running, is there something special about mile repeats.  I have run Yasso 800s for a long time as my repeat runs for speed.  I try to do them at least once every other week, after I have a base.  They are also great for the treadmill.  Does anyone else have a preferred repeat distance, and why?  

BTW, my stride adjustment is getting way more comfortable.  I have moved from heel striking to forefoot, and i am finally feeling natural.  Banged out a solid 6+ mile run tonight, and felt great.

2012-02-16 2:09 PM
in reply to: #4048512

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
marvintpa - 2012-02-15 9:14 AM

I would consider myself a runner more than anything else but I just don't know the answer to this. I do speed work I guess, but I just always think about it as running a little faster than I normally do. Maybe the answer is just; when you feel ready.......

I have been very fortunate to never get injured from running. With that being said, I would pay careful attention to your body as you add pace to your workouts. If something hurts maybe you (I?) need to shut down the type A personality. You need to evaluate whether continuing the workout will get you ahead a little bit or get you injured and put you behind a lot.

How's that for a totally wishy-washy answer?
2012-02-16 11:22 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
I have never played around with speed work in run training, just straight training for increasing the distance I can run without heart attack. I think I am about ready to get into a solid training mode with different types of workouts benifitting different aspects of the run...and the swim and bike for that matter. I think for the most part I have been just plodding through the disciplines, but it is time to get serious. Seeing how much time I can drop off a 5K time with just a 'little' bit of dedicated training has hopefully shown me a light at the end of the tunnel.

Speaking of training though, I have been off the wagon for a good week now since returning from holidays. I went right onto the midnight shift when I got back , and I have been very lazy/tired. Well tonight is my last midnight and time to get back at it! I think a good way to ensure I keep with it is signing up for some races, so that is what my night may entail here...time to burn some plastic!
2012-02-17 11:29 AM
in reply to: #4052169

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
justinfss - 2012-02-16 11:22 PMI have never played around with speed work in run training, just straight training for increasing the distance I can run without heart attack. I think I am about ready to get into a solid training mode with different types of workouts benifitting different aspects of the run...and the swim and bike for that matter. I think for the most part I have been just plodding through the disciplines, but it is time to get serious. Seeing how much time I can drop off a 5K time with just a 'little' bit of dedicated training has hopefully shown me a light at the end of the tunnel.Speaking of training though, I have been off the wagon for a good week now since returning from holidays. I went right onto the midnight shift when I got back , and I have been very lazy/tired. Well tonight is my last midnight and time to get back at it! I think a good way to ensure I keep with it is signing up for some races, so that is what my night may entail here...time to burn some plastic!
I think that mixing up your training is important not only for improvement but making it easier to stick with it and not get bored. It's always fun to do different things at different effort levels(well, sometimes it's not 'fun' 'till it's over ). It's hard for me to get back into the swing of things after a vacation, and I can't imagine how hard it would be in addition to having to work overnight, but just getting out there is usually the hardest part. You can do it! So did you sign up for any races? For me, that's what keeps me honest and on track!--Ali
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bcagle25's Endurance Ninja's - Closed (Ninja school is in session) Rss Feed  

of 19