BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ATLrunr's IM/HIM group CLOSED and training!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2012-04-05 5:20 PM
in reply to: #3950650

User image

Subject: RE: ATLrunr's IM/HIM group CLOSED and training!!

Well hoping everyone is doing good. Just got out of the lake for a 41 minute straight swim. I'm actually starting to think I might be ready for the swim part of the race lol.

Going to get at it hard this last weekend, then two week taper (which includes 4 days at the beach with the kiddos), and it's time to get it on.

Hope everyone has a great weekend of training.

2012-04-06 11:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sounds good...you seem like you well prepared. What's everyone up to this weekend?I have a century/ brick tomorrow, then. 90 minute run and open water swim ( finally) on Sunday. Crossing my fingers for a solid weekend!
2012-04-08 8:10 AM
in reply to: #4131669

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
ATLrunr - 2012-04-05 9:41 AM
japewang - 2012-04-04 8:09 PM

So, I've hit my first two real challenges in IM training.

1. Food.  I'm snacking all the time, and I can't seem to get healthy options into my body. My current vice is the costco sized box of goldfish crackers.  I'm a big crackers guy.  I know they're not great for you and I can't ever eat just a handful.  I find that I'm really disciplined throughout the day at breakfast lunch and at work.  Then when I get home I'm stuffing my face all throughout the evening.  ARGH. Healthy cracker alternatives?

2.  Biking during the week.  Now that its warm enough and the weather is gorgeous...I'm having trouble squeezing in my 1hr bikes during the week.  Its all mental too.  I set my alarm to get up early, but I'm a bit scared of the roads and now I've chickened out twice in the last two weeks.  I'm in a new place here in Philly and there are just so many people.  I miss the empty roads with wide shoulders back in Washington and Idaho.  I've done 2 or 3 rides outdoors (one being my simulated Oly last week) but I'm just shocked that the roads are all old, narrow, no shoulder and the sheer volume of cars.  All the drivers have been courteous and I haven't had a bad experience, but I don't feel like I'm training well because I'm afraid to get lost and I'm just spooked a bit by all the traffic.  Too hot to just keep my bike on the trainer on the 3rd floor. I know I know...HTFU.

My long rides on the weekend aren't an issue because I can drive to a great multipurpose trail that has some offshoots with great hills in rural or low traffic areas.

Maybe I'll do some evening group rides with some clubs out here to get familiar with some roads.

Thanks for any feedback.  I think I just ate six handfulls of goldfish writing this post... :/

1. Crackers... My husband is a big crackers guy. I go more for the sweets, personally. When it is time to get serious, I just can't have them in the house. Period. It's the only way. The first few days suck, but it's better after that. Also, make sure you are getting enough to eat during the day, and especially post workout. Don't try to carb restrict during the day and it you won't crave as many empty cals at night. I have heard this advice for years but it's not until I reluctantly at least Tried to put this into practice that I made any progress.2. What do you mean when you say it's too hot on the trainer. Do you have a fan? Some way to measure output..either some approximation of speed power or hr monitor. Trainer is all about sucking it up. During the week it is a lot easier to jump on the trainer then get set up for outdoor rides, fill bottles, etc. If it makes you feel better, I do minimum 90-115 minute trainer rides at least two days during the week. I know plenty of people who do more. It is hot and my basement lacks ventilation. But I get a good workout. If I do miss one it is harder to do it the next time one is scheduled. I truly think 90 percent of it is mental. You Need1. A Set workout2. A fan3. Way to measures outputWithout these three things it is that much harder... Good luck!

The problem with the Goldfish is that our 2 year old loves them. So they're always around...beckoning to me from the cabinet with their siren's call....

My computer broke on my KK, so I guess that HR monitor on my garmin would work on the trainer.  Yeah, I have a fan, its just really stinking hot even with the fans in the 3rd floor/attic where I have the trainer set up.  I don't mind being on the trainer, i just love being outside on the bike.  I went on a group ride this week that was nice.  Lots of hill climbing, but I got frustrated with some of the stop go nature of the group. I'll figure out a good mix of trainer rides and outdoor rides in the end.  I think being new to an area, I just need to spend more time on the roads to get a feel for where I am.

2012-04-08 3:00 PM

User image

Well this was my final weekend of training before taper time. I decided to go out with friends and just have a good weekend of fun. Friday went out with a roadie buddy and we did 17.5 mile HILLY bike ride, jumped off and did a 4.5 mile trail run, then went back and did the bike course again.  Yes, it was pretty brutal. Saturday went out with some friends who wanted to ride REAL slow to do some heart rate stuff, so I rode on the small ring and did high cadence work for 45 miles. Yes, that was an adventure riding that long on the small ring, but man we had a blast. Today, just got back from a good 10 mile run @ 7:30mi pace.  Just wanted to get a good run in before the slowdown.  Going to head to the beach tomorrow with my girls and collect some seashells and play some putt putt golf.  12 days and a wake up.  I'm ready to race.

Hope everyone has a good week of training.

2012-04-11 10:15 AM

User image

Bethany - I am not exactly sure how I spotted this but I was watching the 2011 IMFL highlights clip on the site www.konainspired.com and I saw you in the video.  I am guessing you were probably aware that you are in the video but if not you are at the 7:40 mark of the video.  Pretty cool!!
2012-04-13 12:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Hows everyone doing? I've been SICK AS A DOG this week.  Got back in the pool today and could only muster 1800 yds before the chlorine was making the throat burn.  EW i know.  Hoping i can get a slow run in tonight and my long ride in tomorrow.  I'm starting to get spooked about missing workouts for IM.  What's everyone up to this weekend?

2012-04-13 1:48 PM

User image

Well for me this is week 1 of tapering.  Since I can't sit still, I went to the beach for 4 days with the family so I didn't feel like I had to train.  Going to ride an hour today, then 90 minute ride tomorrow, then 60 minute run on Sunday, then it's the final week of relaxation before Charleston next Saturday.

Japewang, hope you get to feeling better. Sucks being sick when you want to train.

Hope everyone has a good weekend of training.  7 days and my first triathlon, I'm ready to rumble!

2012-04-14 4:23 PM
in reply to: #4143262

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rubant - 2012-04-11 10:15 AMBethany - I am not exactly sure how I spotted this but I was watching the 2011 IMFL highlights clip on the site www.konainspired.com and I saw you in the video.  I am guessing you were probably aware that you are in the video but if not you are at the 7:40 mark of the video.  Pretty cool!!
Oh yeah..I do remember that...they show my super salty calf sleeves and shoes! How did you know it was me?
2012-04-14 4:24 PM
in reply to: #4148826

User image

Extreme Veteran
japewang - 2012-04-13 12:42 PMHows everyone doing? I've been SICK AS A DOG this week.  Got back in the pool today and could only muster 1800 yds before the chlorine was making the throat burn.  EW i know.  Hoping i can get a slow run in tonight and my long ride in tomorrow.  I'm starting to get spooked about missing workouts for IM.  What's everyone up to this weekend?
Hope you're feeling better! I have been sick twice in the past several weeks, it sucks! Don't freak out though, you've got plenty of time to make sure you're on track!
2012-04-14 4:24 PM
in reply to: #4149017

User image

Extreme Veteran
Joey Blankenship - 2012-04-13 1:48 PM

Well for me this is week 1 of tapering.  Since I can't sit still, I went to the beach for 4 days with the family so I didn't feel like I had to train.  Going to ride an hour today, then 90 minute ride tomorrow, then 60 minute run on Sunday, then it's the final week of relaxation before Charleston next Saturday.

Japewang, hope you get to feeling better. Sucks being sick when you want to train.

Hope everyone has a good weekend of training.  7 days and my first triathlon, I'm ready to rumble!

Very exciting ..you're going to do great I'm sure!
2012-04-16 9:34 AM
in reply to: #4150776

User image

ATLrunr - 2012-04-14 5:23 PM
Rubant - 2012-04-11 10:15 AMBethany - I am not exactly sure how I spotted this but I was watching the 2011 IMFL highlights clip on the site www.konainspired.com and I saw you in the video.  I am guessing you were probably aware that you are in the video but if not you are at the 7:40 mark of the video.  Pretty cool!!
Oh yeah..I do remember that...they show my super salty calf sleeves and shoes! How did you know it was me?

I was watching the video on my computer so I was pretty close to the screen.  I have a pretty good memory at recalling people when I see pictures or seeing people briefly so when the clip of you was on a couple seconds later I just thought to myself that it looksed awfully similar to the pictures of you that I had seen on your blog.  So I rewinded and then saw your name on the bib.  Don't worry I am not a stalker. 

2012-04-17 9:14 AM
in reply to: #4153223

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rubant - 2012-04-16 9:34 AM

ATLrunr - 2012-04-14 5:23 PM

I was watching the video on my computer so I was pretty close to the screen.  I have a pretty good memory at recalling people when I see pictures or seeing people briefly so when the clip of you was on a couple seconds later I just thought to myself that it looksed awfully similar to the pictures of you that I had seen on your blog.  So I rewinded and then saw your name on the bib.  Don't worry I am not a stalker. 

Haha! Don't worry I was not insinuating that! Actually thats funny the you said that, because, as an avid blog reader, I often feel like its weird that I 'know' people that I don't really know if that makes sense. Since I read like 1000 triathlon blogs, chances are, I eventually meet some of those people in real life. I always wonder whether I should admit that I already know who they are or pretend like I have no idea
2012-04-17 9:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
So race day is UPON us, or imminently near!I would love to hear how things are going for each of you, how the preparation is going, if there are any last minute questions, and lastly, how the race WENT when it's over!
2012-04-17 11:46 AM

User image

Well I learned a huge lesson today. I swam 1000yds in the wetsuit then jumped out to simulate T1 transition. Ran about 50 feet and started pulling my wetsuit off. Guess it was a combination of my heartrate being up and trying to rush, but I got real dizzy and fell over lol. Took me a few minutes to get my wits together. So very important lesson I learned 5 days before race day, come out of the water, take my time and let my equilibrium get to normal or I will probably crash my bike as I attempt to get on.
2012-04-21 3:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Congrats on finishing your first half, Joey!
2012-04-21 3:30 PM
in reply to: #4164560

User image

Thanks. I'm happy to have finished, but if I wouldn't have had all those issues, I wander how I would have done.  On a good note, I don't think there is any was possible I could have any worse luck, so I'm figuring I'll only get better.

2012-04-23 7:51 AM
in reply to: #4164566

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova

Joey Blankenship - 2012-04-21 3:30 PM Thanks. I'm happy to have finished, but if I wouldn't have had all those issues, I wander how I would have done.  On a good note, I don't think there is any was possible I could have any worse luck, so I'm figuring I'll only get better.

Joey.  Way to persevere and FINISH.  Congrats on completing your first half.  5:47 is nothing to sneeze at even with all the challenges you dealt with!

2012-04-23 7:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
So I've hit my first real setback in training.  Just plain old getting sick.  I'm in my peak phase and have 9 weeks until IMCDA.  I was sick last week for a couple of days and then got laid on my back by the flu this week.  I missed 2 long runs and a long bike and missed a shorter run and bike and 2 swims.  Its been VERY discouraging.  Mentally I'm trying not to let it get to me, but this weekend was the first time I felt a sliver of doubt about my training and ability to finish.  I'm still confident I'll be fine, but the sickness, coupled with less than stellar bike workouts the last month or so have led me to maybe readjusting my goals.  Hopefully I'll have a very good week of training this week and then I have a HIM the next week on May 6th.  Hitting my hours during this peak phase will be important for me to feel good going into Ironman.  I hit 92% of my base phase hours and only 82% of my build phase hours due to this sickness and travelling for work.
2012-04-29 8:57 AM
in reply to: #4166559

User image

Extreme Veteran
japewang - 2012-04-23 7:56 AMSo I've hit my first real setback in training.  Just plain old getting sick.  I'm in my peak phase and have 9 weeks until IMCDA.  I was sick last week for a couple of days and then got laid on my back by the flu this week.  I missed 2 long runs and a long bike and missed a shorter run and bike and 2 swims.  Its been VERY discouraging.  Mentally I'm trying not to let it get to me, but this weekend was the first time I felt a sliver of doubt about my training and ability to finish.  I'm still confident I'll be fine, but the sickness, coupled with less than stellar bike workouts the last month or so have led me to maybe readjusting my goals.  Hopefully I'll have a very good week of training this week and then I have a HIM the next week on May 6th.  Hitting my hours during this peak phase will be important for me to feel good going into Ironman.  I hit 92% of my base phase hours and only 82% of my build phase hours due to this sickness and travelling for work.
I really hope you're feeling better this week and ready to race your half this weekend! Nine weeks out I wouldn't worry too much about readjusting things yet. You are faithfully following a plan as best you can so I have no doubt that you will pull through and b on track after a few more weeks. I always seem to get sick or injured and miss a few key workouts each training cycle and each time I am sure that it is the end and I won't make it to race day prepared. How are you doing this weekend?
2012-04-29 8:58 AM
in reply to: #4164566

User image

Extreme Veteran
Joey Blankenship - 2012-04-21 3:30 PMThanks. I'm happy to have finished, but if I wouldn't have had all those issues, I wander how I would have done.  On a good note, I don't think there is any was possible I could have any worse luck, so I'm figuring I'll only get better.
So what are you planning as your next chance at the distance?
2012-04-29 5:39 PM
in reply to: #4179157

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Much better week this week.  Cut some pool swims because the chlorine was bothering my throat and nose (still getting over sickness).  But I had a great 5 hour ride on saturday and 1.75 hour run today.

2012-04-30 5:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glad to hear. Good luck at your half this weekend!
2012-04-30 6:08 PM
in reply to: #4179159

User image

Not real sure yet. I want to get better at the swim for sure, but looking at jumping to a full either IMKY or B2B. Got some friends begging me to do IMKY with them, but still debating it right now. Gotta duathlon I'm doing in a few weeks, and other than that, just starting to work on some lower HR stuff. BeIronFit is all about 85% HR and below and I'm a big fan of pushing hard, so I'm having to revamp how I think when I workout.  Gonna figure out here real soon which race is next, but thinking do a full, then go back and have another date with a half.
2012-05-05 3:35 PM

User image

Japewang, Good luck tomorrow on the HIM. I'm sure you'll destroy it.
2012-05-07 8:22 PM
in reply to: #4182194

User image

Extreme Veteran

Joey Blankenship - 2012-04-30 6:08 PM Not real sure yet. I want to get better at the swim for sure, but looking at jumping to a full either IMKY or B2B. Got some friends begging me to do IMKY with them, but still debating it right now. Gotta duathlon I'm doing in a few weeks, and other than that, just starting to work on some lower HR stuff. BeIronFit is all about 85% HR and below and I'm a big fan of pushing hard, so I'm having to revamp how I think when I workout.  Gonna figure out here real soon which race is next, but thinking do a full, then go back and have another date with a half.

85% of what? Max? LTHR?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ATLrunr's IM/HIM group CLOSED and training!! Rss Feed  

of 14