BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2012-03-18 9:50 PM
in reply to: #3965644

User image

Richmond Hill
Subject: RE: Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013

Ann - Thanks! You are correct, I need to focus on the good that was done, and not the bad. It's just frustrating to have a good week going, and then see the holes in the calendar.  Corned beef and mac and cheese - sounds good!

irishod - Great race report. And AWESOME TIME!

Kathy - Congrats on another finish line. And congrats to your husband on his first HM!

Decent ride today. Ready to crank it up a notch this week.

2012-03-19 8:50 AM

User image

Expert

Congrats on the finish lines!!!

Weather was good enough to get outside on the bike this weekend, so I was able to get in a 3 hour ride.  It was windy at times, but that only makes you stronger, right?  At one point it was about an 8 mile slight uphill stretch straight into the wind and I just thought "this is what Arizona will be like" and pushed through.

Got in a 10 mile run Sunday morning, but was a little sluggish.  Not sure if that was from humidity, breathing issues (I helped my daughter clean her bathroom Saturday night and her cat basically lives in there - gave me some fits with breathing Saturday night), or just from being tired.

It's suppose to rain here most of the week this week, so we'll see what happens with the workouts.

2012-03-19 10:30 AM
in reply to: #4102533

User image

Richmond Hill
bar92 - 2012-03-19 9:50 AM

Weather was good enough to get outside on the bike this weekend, so I was able to get in a 3 hour ride.  It was windy at times, but that only makes you stronger, right?  At one point it was about an 8 mile slight uphill stretch straight into the wind and I just thought "this is what Arizona will be like" and pushed through.

I hear you about the wind!  Does it seem as if you never get an equal boost from a tail wind to counteract the sufferage you encounter from the head wind???  What really stinks is when you are doing an out-and-back ride, feel like you are really riding well, not realizing that you have a signifcant tail wind, only to make that discovery when you turnaround to head home and your speed drops by 10 mph! Surprised

2012-03-19 10:52 AM
in reply to: #4094388

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
elcaminobill - 2012-03-13 12:54 PM

Thank you Bryan for addressing that, not sure i could have done it quite as correctly!  LanceUndecided, have you lost your mind?  I couldn't leave well enough alone, could I.  That is a common problem that seems to haunt me on a regular basis.

I guess I will need to introduce you to Carmen Electra, my bike!!!!

honey, we'll remember your bike's name for a long time now, I think.. after, you know, her recent health crisis
2012-03-19 10:59 AM
in reply to: #4099601

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
avisser - 2012-03-16 1:09 PM

krazytallchick - 2012-03-15 9:21 PM

Ann, I am sorry to hear about your hip.  You mention that it is tender to the touch...that sounds like to me it is time to go to the doctor as it could be a stress fracture.

I hear you, but it is so much better with rest.  (Rest from running) I did 45 min on the trainer this morning, no pain, did 30 min on the elliptical, no pain.  The tenderness to the touch is better although not gone completely but def better every day.  Don't most of us avoid doctors??  I'm so scared they will say, "Do nothing for a month"  Why go if I know I'm not going to listen to their advice?  I  can live with taking a week off from running. I still think it may those new "running shoes"  I have been wearing my old shoes, although not for the runs.  Maybe another trip to the run shop is called for first. 

Thanks for your concern.

Ann, it really sounds like you'd benefit from ART (Active Release Therapy). If you could find a sports chiropractor who practices that, you'll be able to continue training AND get better at the same time.

how are you feeling now? Are you icing?
2012-03-19 11:05 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Irishod, FAST HM!! Congrats!!!

Congrats everybody else on finish lines! whohoo!!!! glad to see our group staying so active!

As for me....
We have had major sickies at the Sutherland house! Nikita had flu, then Lukas got a bad EI and then flu (i think), ran high fever for 5 days straight, finally on the mend.

I watched "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" a couple of weeks ago and decided to do a 30 day juice fast. pretty extreme, but I'm at a desperate point in trying to lose this weight before race season.. so I am doing it! I'm on day 10 and man, i feel great! I am 12 lbs down (!!!!!), feel amazing and actually have so much energy I literally cannot nap. It's even a little annoying, because my nap time is, like, a rule, man!

Evenings are hard because a) it's my usual eating time, and b) food is everywhere, tv, family plates, in your head... But i know this is SO good for my body, and the benefits outweigh a little discomfort. Now that I'm almost a third of the way there, I know I can make it.

So I took all last week off from training to let my body adjust to its new reality. I started the fast on Saturday and spent a few hours of past weekend in bed, the hunger didn't seem so bad then. It was also my recovery week after the first phase of P90X2, and the HIM training plan had pretty low volume, so I just took time off.

Yesterday, I did a test workout to see how I can handle it. I made a couple awesome juices with higher fruit content to carry me through (usually it's 70-80% leafy greens and the rest fruit). I made one juice with carrots, apples and a sweet potato and another one had oranges, sweet potato and carrots. I went spinning (1h 45m), had a 16oz juice before and afterwards and then went to run the last couple of miles (4) of the March Madness Half with my friend Kathy who was racing. Then i had another 16 oz after the run (and water). So I burned almost 1000 calories and feel great!! I definitely think I can make it work, so starting P90X2 PhaseII tomorrow and resuming HIM plan.

2012-03-19 11:08 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
As a last (for now) of my serial posting, wanted to drop off a pic of a cake I made for our own John (jslacker)... or rather, his girls. They did a combined party for Elle and Nikki and I made this cake for them:

and a funky Hipstamatic pic :

• ..and a pic of John and myself:

• It was super nice to meet John (and his mom) in person!! we have talked about running so much via PMs and emails over the past couple of years, great to finally put the face to the name

Edited by Lyoshka 2012-03-19 11:15 AM
    2012-03-19 11:13 AM
    in reply to: #4102880

User image

Expert
    Chicagoland

Edited by Lyoshka 2012-03-19 11:15 AM
    2012-03-19 11:16 AM
    in reply to: #4102880

Regular
    California

mmmmmm.....cake

I would also like to pass along my congrats to the finishers! I've been in lurking mode for the past month as the tendon in my ankle heals.

Wore the walking boot for a week, then the air cast thingy for the past 3 weeks. Today i got out of bed without a limp or pain! I'm going to give it until the weekend before I venture out for my first test run....its been killing me to do nothing for the past month

the pain was bad enough for me to visit the dr and to hear the words "do nothing for a month", they were very hard to swallow. Although it was easy to follow that advice as I could feel some pain in every step.

cant wait to get back on the horse!

cheers!

Edited by pace13 2012-03-19 11:22 AM
    2012-03-19 11:23 AM

User image

Expert
    Chicagoland
    Jeff, oh no! What did you do to your tendon?? Heal fast!
    2012-03-19 11:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Lafayette, IN

I have to make a comment about the cake to everyone. 

My girls absolutely adored the cake.  No one wanted to cut into it but it tasted better than it looked.  Everyone was silent while I pressed the knife into the cake for the first cut. 

It was absolutely wonderful. 

I can't thank Lena enough for making my girl's birthday very special.  They will always remember that cake.   My girls are 8 and 10 but this cake even made the oldest person at the party smile. 

Thanks again Lena.  You are my idol. 

2012-03-19 11:38 AM
    in reply to: #4102914

Regular
    California

Lyoshka - 2012-03-19 9:23 AM Jeff, oh no! What did you do to your tendon?? Heal fast!

basically too much too soon....but odd injury IMO. I went from basically zero miles to a HM in 5 weeks, did good, waited a week then started running again. first run went fine, second had me in pain, limping and needing to be picked up.

the tendon that was injured was the one usually injured when you severly roll your ankle to the side (which I never did).

I concluded that along with too much too soon, the running surface i "mostly" ran on (the street next to the sidewalk) had a slight downward slant to it, not enough to feel awkward but enough to put my foot in a foreign position enough to stress that tendon.

We have since moved (and my wife still claims I did that to get out of helping move) and I will have some new routes to run. these routes will be either flat or trails (hopefully a healthy mix) and I will take progress slow and steady.

Blood flow to tendons is very slow so I knew the healing would take an extended period of time.

2012-03-19 11:52 AM
    in reply to: #4102161

User image

Expert
    Lost in the Evergreens

Wow - you guys are awesome.

Everyone stay healthy.
    The weather is changing,
    The days are getting longer.
    Be safe until we meet at the finish line.

2012-03-19 11:59 AM

Washington DC

Congrats irishod and Kathy on your finishes (and anyone else I missed), and thanks for the congratulations.

I'm not going to be around much in the next week/ two.. I've got another indoor tri on Saturday, and I'm moving out of my apartment and putting everything in storage befoe the end of the month. My gym membership is along with the indoor tri program.. so I'm not sure if I'll have pool access until I get situated in DC, which won't be until May.

I'm thinking about signing up for the Annapolis Tri.. since I know I cvan do the swim and bike portion.. a little unsure about the run. I may just decide the week of if it's feasible.. since it's the week after I move to DC. I really want to do it, but I think in the end it may come down to finances.. and I have a cross-country move to attend to in the meantime. I'm just afraid of losing my momentum... but the olympic tri training program I'm thinking of going with starts right after I move.. so I think I will be okay. So much to do, so little time.

2012-03-19 2:38 PM

User image

Expert

benttwice - no, it never seems like you get the benefit of the wind, because if it takes you 45 minutes to cover a distance into the wind, it seems like it only takes 10 minutes to cover that distance with the tailwind!  When doing an out and back, we try to go into the wind first, while we are fresh.  

Lena - absolutely beautiful cake!!!  Also, we watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead at work one day.  Very interesting documentary.  Once of my coworkers did a 14 day juice fast and blogged about it.  I have borrowed my mom's juicer to see if I would like it, but not sure I will do a fast as I'm not sure I could drink enough to support the training, so I will be interested to see how you do with your training while doing the juice fast.  I will say that the few juices I have tried have been very yummy.  Keep us posted.

2012-03-19 2:50 PM

Extreme Veteran
    Finish line updated. Kathy I added your husbands too. Immediate family gets credit too. Especially on the first one. Tell him congrats. Great job to you and Irishod too.

Keep em coming.

2012-03-19 9:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Lena, those cakes look absolutely beautiful!  I have no idea how anyone can cut into them, but then again if they look that great they must taste just as good as it looks.

As we spend more time outdoors, what is everyone using for sunscreen?  It seems that no matter what kind I use I sweat more then normal, like the sunscreen is keeping my skin from breathing.  I always wear a hat and I tend to forget to put protection on my face, which I need to start doing also but everything feels so heavy on the face.  Looking for suggestions.

2012-03-19 9:55 PM

User image

Veteran
    Long Island

Hey all.  Lena it so good to see you back.  More awesome cakes!! WOW! 

The frustration is growing for me.  Taking a break of one week from running because of the hip flexor issue.  Hip flexor is feeling perfect, no pain but still resting.  Did 2 nice bike rides Sat and Sun.  Still no pain.  Getting ready to go to a Retreat day where a massage and pedicure were waiting for me.  Reached into the freezer to get out an ice pack for some guacamole I was bringing and tweaked my lower back.  Bilateral shooting pain.  The massage was scary, because it was so tender.  I have had this happen before and it gets better in a few days with carefull attention to body mechnaics, but really???  Enough already.  Working tonight, hoping to get a little rest soon.  Will probably take tomorrow off although may swim if the back is ok.  It already feels better but I know it is not BETTER.  Maybe it is time to see the chiropractor again.  Maybe I need some reallignment.  

Thanks again for listening.

2012-03-20 6:30 AM

User image

Expert

Sorry to hear about the back.  rest rest and more rest.

Bullfrog is the sunscreen that I use.  Put the sunscreen on about an hor before going out and it will not be as heavy.

2012-03-20 8:07 AM

User image

Expert
    Chicagoland
    Thank you Kathy, Briana and Ann!

Ann, oh no. I agree, REST!
    2012-03-20 8:13 AM
    in reply to: #4103421

User image

Expert
    Chicagoland
    bar92 - 2012-03-19 2:38 PM

Lena - absolutely beautiful cake!!!  Also, we watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead at work one day.  Very interesting documentary.  Once of my coworkers did a 14 day juice fast and blogged about it.  I have borrowed my mom's juicer to see if I would like it, but not sure I will do a fast as I'm not sure I could drink enough to support the training, so I will be interested to see how you do with your training while doing the juice fast.  I will say that the few juices I have tried have been very yummy.  Keep us posted.

Briana, I didn't work out the first week to see how i'm doing on the fast, and started this Sunday. So far, 2 bike rides (1:45 and 50 m) and a 4 mile run and I felt fantastic! I'm making a carrot, apple and sweet potato juice for before and after the workout and it works like a charm. After the workout, I try to make a green juice for protein (spinach, kale, broccoli, sweet potato for carbs). I found some really nice recipes geared towards athletes, loving them. If you want them, let me know..

And I'm doing the fast now that the HIM plan is still in the beginning stages and running and biking mileage is not as serious. I feel amazing! Alert, alive, vibrant. Seriously amazing.

2012-03-20 10:06 AM

Extreme Veteran
    2012-03-20 12:24 PM

User image

Veteran
    Long Island
    OK, it is absolutelu beautiful here.  I just got up from working overnight and it is killing me not to out for a ride or something!  Maybe I will just walk.  My hip flexor continues to be fine and my back is good and I am ibuprophen free.  but I am listiening to you all and going to keep resting, at least another day.  Yell
    2012-03-20 4:53 PM
    in reply to: #4104943

User image

Regular
    Cincinnati
    Avisser - I tried running with some mild back soreness back in November. Ended up really doing it in and walking home the last mile. I was out of commission for a week and a half afterward. I learned my lesson. As hard as it is to rest, you'll really be kicking yourself if you aggravate anything.

Edited by irishod 2012-03-20 4:54 PM
    2012-03-20 8:49 PM

Veteran
    Quail Valley

I feel bad because almost ever time I come on its negitive but things just seem to be going all wrong this year.  My heart is acting up again. For those that are new I had to be checked out last feb. because of heart papitations. I was cleared after a bunch of test and told don't worry about them its all good. Last week had a rash of them in one day and woke up the next day and my chest hurt. Went to the doctor. Again EKG fine, blood & urine test good, chest x-ray good. Happen again today but not as bad. Called doctor and left message. I get a call back if it happens again go to the ER. They have no clue because I never have it during any visits or tests. They are trying to get a 24hr monitor to see if they can catch it.

Anybody doing The California HIM the 30th?   I am signed up put not doing it now. I may go watch.

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013 Rss Feed  

of 57