BT Development Mentor Program Archives » We Don't Just Tri - We Do Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2013-03-26 8:56 PM
in reply to: #4675306

Subject: RE: We Don't Just Tri - We Do Group - Closed
I had tears in my eyes. That video is fantastic!

2013-03-27 11:29 PM
in reply to: #4556995

User image

Denver, CO

I am feeling great today. I have just about 4 weeks of solid quality work until my first triathlon and thought about putting in a hard 1 mile repeat workout. I have to say its been a long time since I have done 1 mile repeats but I thought what the hell, i have a recovery week and its probably better to sort out my ability than wait until the race. I went in to the workout with a goal of 3 x 1600 meter repeats with 800 meter recovery jog at about 6:35 per mile. Once I got into the first repeat I felt very comfortable at 6:00/ mile pace. Anyway, I ended up with three repeats well below what my goal was and it made me extremely happy:

Mile 1: 5:59

Mile 2: 6:12 (slightly uphill on this repeat)

Mile 3: 5:50

I am very happy with this effort and could not have given much more into each effort but running by myself I felt good.

Edited by jmac5032 2013-03-27 11:30 PM
2013-03-28 8:41 AM
in reply to: #4677357

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
jmac5032 - 2013-03-27 10:29 PM

I am feeling great today. I have just about 4 weeks of solid quality work until my first triathlon and thought about putting in a hard 1 mile repeat workout. I have to say its been a long time since I have done 1 mile repeats but I thought what the hell, i have a recovery week and its probably better to sort out my ability than wait until the race. I went in to the workout with a goal of 3 x 1600 meter repeats with 800 meter recovery jog at about 6:35 per mile. Once I got into the first repeat I felt very comfortable at 6:00/ mile pace. Anyway, I ended up with three repeats well below what my goal was and it made me extremely happy:

I am very happy with this effort and could not have given much more into each effort but running by myself I felt good.

Great effort..Those are excellent times - puts you in a very strong class of age group athletes for sure. Certainly provides me with motivation to get out and do speed work.
2013-03-28 8:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Hanging in Arizona this week. Race day is right around the corner.

Lots of trepidation on my mind concerning preparation level for Napa. The more I have read about the course the more I now know how tough it is. My volumeis not where I want it to be. I am comfortable that I can get through the swim even though I have literally only done a dozen or so swim workouts. The run should be fine. The bike. Ahh, the bike. There in lies the mystery. I have several quality endurance bike workouts but none that are 5 hours in duration. It is a very tough bike leg.

My heart and pride say take it on. By taking it easy and measured on the bike there will be enough to complete the run. My brain tells me to drop to the HIM and put in a solid effort and look to do another IM later in the year - regroup so to speak. Problem there is that my schedule through the summer is a complete mystery as I don't know what I'll be doing for a living post retirement and therefore may have no more time to train than I do now.

Probably best to give it the old college try. There are worse things, I suppose, than finishing an iron distance race slower than what you planned or hope to do.
2013-03-28 9:53 AM
in reply to: #4677640

User image

Denver, CO

sundevil87 - 2013-03-28 7:57 AM Hanging in Arizona this week. Race day is right around the corner. Lots of trepidation on my mind concerning preparation level for Napa. The more I have read about the course the more I now know how tough it is. My volumeis not where I want it to be. I am comfortable that I can get through the swim even though I have literally only done a dozen or so swim workouts. The run should be fine. The bike. Ahh, the bike. There in lies the mystery. I have several quality endurance bike workouts but none that are 5 hours in duration. It is a very tough bike leg. My heart and pride say take it on. By taking it easy and measured on the bike there will be enough to complete the run. My brain tells me to drop to the HIM and put in a solid effort and look to do another IM later in the year - regroup so to speak. Problem there is that my schedule through the summer is a complete mystery as I don't know what I'll be doing for a living post retirement and therefore may have no more time to train than I do now. Probably best to give it the old college try. There are worse things, I suppose, than finishing an iron distance race slower than what you planned or hope to do.

Hey Thom, I vote for giving it the old college try! You already paid the money and prepared as much as you can for it. Since you have done a full IM before I think that base is still something you don't necessarily lose. I agree, maybe if you pace the bike a little more conservatively, you will have plenty left in the tank for the run. Are you retiring this year? If so congratulations.

2013-03-28 9:55 AM
in reply to: #4677616

User image

Denver, CO
sundevil87 - 2013-03-28 7:41 AM
jmac5032 - 2013-03-27 10:29 PM

Great effort..Those are excellent times - puts you in a very strong class of age group athletes for sure. Certainly provides me with motivation to get out and do speed work.

Thanks Thom. That last repeat hurt bad (especially the last 1/2 mile of it) but I stuck it out and glad I did. Still not sure what my goal 5k pace should be based on that effort....?!?

Jeff

2013-03-28 10:46 AM
in reply to: #4675447

User image

Regular
North Carolina
Tuck2006 - 2013-03-26 3:50 PM
Mountaindan - 2013-03-26 1:57 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B03dFMG8nR4

I know the feeling Bull!

you might relate to this?

Finally managed to see the video.  LMFBFAO!!!!!!!  I have actually had a similar conversation before with friends and family. 

That Video is AWESOME!!! 

2013-03-28 8:08 PM
in reply to: #4677357

jmac5032 - 2013-03-27 11:29 PM

Great job. I can only hope to do something close to that.
2013-03-28 8:32 PM

oh ha ha.

I still don't feel good about telling others about my new hobby. Exceptions are my husband, brick class folk and you. To others I usually downplay, I tell that I work out in the pool couple times a week, or that I run a little bit, or got a new spin bike. My addiction is a secretCool

Oh, got wild hair last weekend, probably Bull's influence, and decided not to wait until my first tri on Memorial day. Signed for Akron U indoor triathlon on April 28.

We went out to dinner tonight, everyone got ice cream for desert, I opted for Drambuie. Got to sweat it out, wish me not to fall from the bike!

Happy training everyone. Thom, I would race as scheduled, ready or not. The life is so unpredictable, who knows what next year will bring, you might have even less time to train, civil life can be tough, you know

2013-03-29 11:01 AM
in reply to: #4677752

Simsbury, CT
jmac5032 - 2013-03-28 9:53 AM

sundevil87 - 2013-03-28 7:57 AM Hanging in Arizona this week. Race day is right around the corner. Lots of trepidation on my mind concerning preparation level for Napa. The more I have read about the course the more I now know how tough it is. My volumeis not where I want it to be. I am comfortable that I can get through the swim even though I have literally only done a dozen or so swim workouts. The run should be fine. The bike. Ahh, the bike. There in lies the mystery. I have several quality endurance bike workouts but none that are 5 hours in duration. It is a very tough bike leg. My heart and pride say take it on. By taking it easy and measured on the bike there will be enough to complete the run. My brain tells me to drop to the HIM and put in a solid effort and look to do another IM later in the year - regroup so to speak. Problem there is that my schedule through the summer is a complete mystery as I don't know what I'll be doing for a living post retirement and therefore may have no more time to train than I do now. Probably best to give it the old college try. There are worse things, I suppose, than finishing an iron distance race slower than what you planned or hope to do.

Hey Thom, I vote for giving it the old college try! You already paid the money and prepared as much as you can for it. Since you have done a full IM before I think that base is still something you don't necessarily lose. I agree, maybe if you pace the bike a little more conservatively, you will have plenty left in the tank for the run. Are you retiring this year? If so congratulations. 

I would agree.  I would listen to your body as the miles rack up on the bike and adjust as needed, knowing that you have a full marathon ahead.  Worse case, you finish slower than anticipated but you will finish. 

Tri-on!!!

2013-03-29 11:08 AM

Simsbury, CT

I think I am going backwards!!! training-wise that is.  While my volume should be going up now, it seems I am putting in less.   My only comfort is that I am going longer on the bike on weekends.  Last week was 60 miles.  Tomorrow I am shooting for 80-85 and for a change, it will be sunny  with temps reaching mid-50's!Cool.  Sunday I will shoot for a 3hr run to empty the tank before Easter Brunch!

Have a great weekend everyone.

2013-03-29 4:12 PM
in reply to: #4679195

User image

Denver, CO
Armandova - 2013-03-29 10:08 AM

I think I am going backwards!!! training-wise that is.  While my volume should be going up now, it seems I am putting in less.   My only comfort is that I am going longer on the bike on weekends.  Last week was 60 miles.  Tomorrow I am shooting for 80-85 and for a change, it will be sunny  with temps reaching mid-50's!Cool.  Sunday I will shoot for a 3hr run to empty the tank before Easter Brunch!

Have a great weekend everyone.

Sweet! Have a good weekend also. I am getting in a much shorter ride today in fort Collins in between breweries!
2013-03-31 7:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar

So excited to have some nice weather! Looking forward to a long run in SHORTS today!

Thom, I vote for the full, didn't I hear go big or go home?? you might not be where you had planned, but with your experience I'm sure you can adjust and take it a little easier and enjoy the experience.

Keep up the great work everyone! Spring is here time to get outside and enjoy what we do!

2013-03-31 9:35 PM

Happy Easter! Watched the nice weather through the window and imagined myself running, but decided that family goes first today. Will have to catch up later this week.
2013-03-31 9:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
So a friend of mine is trying to convince me to do a Marathon in 6 weeks? Is it crazy to try and do that when to date the longest run I have done was today for 9 miles, I felt good, but could not have done 17 more. I am always up for a good challenge, but I don't want to attempt something I have no chance of finishing, I'm not worried about my time at all, except to not embarrass myself.
2013-04-01 6:49 AM
in reply to: #4681273

Simsbury, CT
Dan - If you increase your weekly mileage by 2-3 miles per week, you will have 5 weeks to bring your volume up and 1 week to taper. While doable, I think it will depend on how strong your base is. Have you been running 9 miles for a few weeks? If so, I would go for it, otherwise I might look for a marathon that would let me get in a minimum 12 weeks of training.

Edited by Armandova 2013-04-01 6:56 AM

2013-04-01 8:40 AM
in reply to: #4681273

User image

Denver, CO

Mountaindan - 2013-03-31 8:42 PM So a friend of mine is trying to convince me to do a Marathon in 6 weeks? Is it crazy to try and do that when to date the longest run I have done was today for 9 miles, I felt good, but could not have done 17 more. I am always up for a good challenge, but I don't want to attempt something I have no chance of finishing, I'm not worried about my time at all, except to not embarrass myself.

Dan, I would personally wait until summer and choose a different marathon. Although you could probably build your base up in time, I would be worried about injury from adding too many miles too quickly. You need a few long runs up to 20 miles at least. With that said, I don't know your race or training history so if you know what to expect give it a shot.

Jeff

2013-04-01 9:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar

Thanks Armando / Jeff

I think the wise thing is to wait, my run volumes have been pretty low so far this year and this race would come a week after a PT test which takes precedence.  

Good advice, I need to the time to build a solid base for the tri season and my A race will be a HIM in September.

Thanks for the help in repelling some peer pressure!

2013-04-01 10:10 AM

User image

Regular
North Carolina
Signed up for another triathlon today, the Tri-Mayberry Sprint in Mt Airy, NC.  Still a sprint, but with longer distances than my last and the course is much more challenging (for me anyhow).   It's listed as a moderate event, rolling hills for the run and bike ride.  That's going to be a challenge for me because I'm used to training in the flat coastal plain of NC, barely any hills at all.  However, if I don't challenge myself how can I ever expect to get any better?  My plan is to try and do one triathlon a month, each triathlon will be a little longer and more challenging than the preceding one.  In between triathlons I'm going to run some 5ks and 10ks with my wife, seems she's got he fever too! But she says she's not ready to attempt a triathlon yet.   I'm running 8-12 miles at a time, not very fast but each subsequent run the times get a little better and I try to increase the distance also, riding 30-40 miles a time, hoping to eventually get up to 100+ miles (I'm seeing the most improvement in my bike riding, probably because I enjoy getting on the bike, run - ok, absolutely dread swimming), and swimming one to two hours. Time permitting I try to do two a day, swim in the morning, bike or ride in the afternoon. I'm also hitting the gym five days a week for strength training. Swimming is the worst part, I just can't sweem to get much better, swimming for me is really a misnomer, it's more like I beat the water into submission. I actually seem to swim better on the longer swims, it seems to take me a couple hundred yards or so just to get a rythym to my breathing and strokes, once I get that rhythym going I can swim forever it seems. Now that the temps are finally starting to warm up, hopefully I'll be able to sign up for some longer events with open water swims where I don't have to trun around. I haven't mastered the ability to turn efficiently at the end of the pool and I lose a lot of time.

Edited by Bull 2013-04-01 10:15 AM
2013-04-04 6:30 PM

Wow, your training volumes are impressive, it will pay off in races.  This weekend is my triathlon workshop. I'm somehow concerned how I will be able to keep up with the group, I know couple people who are going to participate, and they are very serious athletes, from the 9h Ironman league. And my greatest athletic ambition is to run 10K  averaging 8:30 min/mile. Oh well. It is good that I'm very busy at work and at home this week, don't have time to worry.

Keep training.

2013-04-04 6:34 PM

User image

Denver, CO
1.6 wm
6x800 repeats w/ 2min jog ri
1.6 cd
800- 2:39
800- 2:42
800- 2:52
And then, I fell apart....
finished with a 1/2 mile cooldown jog.

The goal today was (6) 800 meter repeats and I felt good on the first two but then on the uphill repeat I was completely gassed as I slowed to a 2:52. Not sure what happened but I called it a day as I just felt like I had nothing left. Maybe it was Tuesdays 4 mile run that left me a bit fatigued. Best to back off and live to fight another day....Smile

2013-04-04 6:41 PM
in reply to: #4687352

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
jmac5032 - 2013-04-04 7:34 PM 1.6 wm
6x800 repeats w/ 2min jog ri
1.6 cd
800- 2:39
800- 2:42
800- 2:52
And then, I fell apart....
finished with a 1/2 mile cooldown jog.

The goal today was (6) 800 meter repeats and I felt good on the first two but then on the uphill repeat I was completely gassed as I slowed to a 2:52. Not sure what happened but I called it a day as I just felt like I had nothing left. Maybe it was Tuesdays 4 mile run that left me a bit fatigued. Best to back off and live to fight another day....Smile

Looks like a pretty good pace! I need to do some speed work! I might be able to do that pace if I was running down hill. I'm more of a pack mule than a rabbit!

Yep sometimes our body tells us that it is time to take it a little easy, best to listen and come back stronger.

2013-04-04 6:46 PM
in reply to: #4687347

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
tukutuku - 2013-04-04 7:30 PM

Wow, your training volumes are impressive, it will pay off in races.  This weekend is my triathlon workshop. I'm somehow concerned how I will be able to keep up with the group, I know couple people who are going to participate, and they are very serious athletes, from the 9h Ironman league. And my greatest athletic ambition is to run 10K  averaging 8:30 min/mile. Oh well. It is good that I'm very busy at work and at home this week, don't have time to worry.

Keep training.

The greatest part of Triathlons for me is that I can compete against myself and not have to worry about how I stack up against others and I have never run into any condescending triathletes, I know they're out there, but everyone has been nothing but encouraging to me.

Someone reminded me once that no matter how slow I am, I am still doing more than most would ever attempt.

Spring is almost here in the North East, Get out and enjoy it! 

2013-04-04 7:13 PM

User image

Regular
North Carolina
I am very fortunate my boss at work has gotten behind me and supports me. She gives me the latitude to work flex hours and work a little more from home. I have a very good support network and I don't want to let them down. Having once weighed over 350 pounds, I've been blessed with a new lease on life and feel it's my obligation to pay it forward.
2013-04-04 7:13 PM

User image

Regular
North Carolina
I am very fortunate my boss at work has gotten behind me and supports me. She gives me the latitude to work flex hours and work a little more from home. I have a very good support network and I don't want to let them down. Having once weighed over 350 pounds, I've been blessed with a new lease on life and feel it's my obligation to pay it forward.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » We Don't Just Tri - We Do Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 22