BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-05-19 2:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED
Originally posted by ibr80

Today was a nasty disgusting day here in NYC and I considering I off to work in a few minutes, It was the perfect excuse to stay in with my little
puppy and relax after working out the last 6 days in a row. But then I realized that working out 7 days in a row... 7 out of 7 would be a nice way to start getting ready for the coming months and the TRIATHLON coming up in August. Recently I saw this written somewhere and it has become my new found motto.... NO EXCUSES.... JUST RESULTS. Get out there turtles, if your feeling down and low, just make it whatever work out you prefer put on some tunes and it will clear your head of any problems and help you think straight.

BTW, As you will no doubt realize, Im for everybody starting to post some pictures of workouts or family or anything they would like to share. It makes things personal and very interesting.

Looks like you are working hard! Keep it up and you will start to see results in no time.

Starting to wonder what out our challenge will be this week.

Beth

Edited by Hubbie 2013-05-19 2:10 PM

2013-05-19 8:48 PM
in reply to: #4725832

User image

Rensselaer, New York
I had a rediculoisly lazy weekend. I was outbid, at the last second, on a bike on eBay. I'm just about over the buying used idea. I'd rather have a no-name, 16 speed new bike from the lbs as opposed to combing through ad after ad and auction after auction looking for a diamond in the rough. I guess there is the option to be a full time runner.
2013-05-19 9:03 PM
in reply to: #4749069

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
I'm with you on that one. I know bargains can be found buying used but I usually buy new. I figure what I spend in dollars I've saved in time not wasted. Most of the time.
2013-05-19 9:06 PM
in reply to: Hubbie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Hubbie

This is NOT good. Woke up around 0300 cuz I was in so much pain. My right knee is so painful I can only move it a few inches. Took me close to five minutes to hobble to the next room to crash in my recliner. This morning the pain is no better. My knee is so bad now it's everything I can do to remain mobile. Don't know what's wrong with it but when I get it to bed I can feel and hear a sickening grinding in the knee. Hope it heals itself soon. I have a 10 mile run scheduled for Monday.

Beth, I wish a speedy recovery. Did you over do it, twist wrong while loading a patient, do you have any idea what it is or how it happened? Anyhow get better, and I would say stay active hear, but reading the post you have and I thank you for that.
2013-05-19 9:09 PM
in reply to: RZ0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by RZ0

My drama: I have to travel cross-country this week. I fly all day to Vancouver on Sunday, attend a conference Monday-Tuesday, then fly back all day Wednesday.
So tomorrow will be a rest day unless I crank out of bed Sunday early to swim. I'm hoping to run in Vancouver on Monday or Tuesday, but my knee has been bugging me - nothing like poor Hubbie, but I don't want to get to that stage.
Also diet may be an issue. It's easy to spoil yourself on the road, or simply lose track of calories. I'm taking some Balance bars, which I find get me through snack time well enough.
Signing off now. Gotta find my Therabands - might try a room-based workout.

Jim, you know that life will always get the in way, make the most out of what you have and it sounds like you plan to.
2013-05-19 9:13 PM
in reply to: iamDawnAnderson

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by iamDawnAnderson

Anyone with experience or opinions with the free training plans on BT? I've been following the 16 week swim focused plan (loosely on the swim part since I'm just learning). This past week would have been my week 3. It pretty much was a wash due to illness. Next week (week 4) would be a recovery week where you scale back a bit. I'm thinking since this week was a total recovery week, should I just do week 3 next week, then move to week 5 the following? I don't understand completely the theory behind adding no more then 10% each week of training for 3 weeks then having a recovery period, but I do think its smart. I don't want to do too much too soon and risk injury, but I want to keep going on the plan. Any thoughts?

Dawn, I would suggest as Beth did, to just go ahead and go with the scheduled recovery week workouts. Recovery weeks are build into the plans to minimize the chance of over use injuries and I to to an extent, burnout. Just go with the scheduled week and make sure to did the marks for the week.

2013-05-19 9:17 PM
in reply to: NMS

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by NMS

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Noreen, don't give up! You have already accomplished a lot in a short amount of time. My .02, you need to get back to 100% from the illness. You are likely feeling bad, do the workouts, suffer while doing so, and then get no enjoyment out of them. You then don't feel good, which makes you not want to workout and then when you don't that makes you feel bad. I think part of this could be routine. The hardest thing for me was devolping a routine, which is why I issued the challenge I did for this week. As far as sitting there drinking wine, make it an after workout reward if you will. I don't know what your situation is with support at home and training partners, but for some it is hard to do almost all workouts alone. I will say that some of what you're talking about is why you are in this group and why we have a group. Get excited, excite others, post daily and log daily to stay involved. Remember it does not have to be about the clock, events, or where you finish, do it for you health and mental wellness. I have learned to use workouts as my stress relief and a way to reset. I don't always want to do them but once I drag my lazy butt out of bed and do it, I am happy that I did. I can tell you for me that your comment of needing to practice for the upcoming 10K, sounds like me when I started. I would train before and up to an event and then fall off afterwords until a few weeks before the next one I signed up for. I now workout and if I can do something as a part of it I do it, if not it really doesn't matter to me. I now try to do fewer things, but on a larger scale when I do them. Do Not Give Up, we are here for YOU, and will help you in any way to stay active!

Hi Todd,\\Thanks for your support. I have now got back in the saddle (literally this morning!) I managed to fit a run in yesterday too. I think the problem has been a mixture of illness dragging on and letting stuff at work get to me. I did say that I originally took up running to combat depression, and I think the black dog has been sitting on my shoulder a bit this week. I know the answer to that is train more and train harder but being a bit sick still meant i lacked energy. I now have the 10k this Friday to look forward to and I ran over 7k yesterday so a couple of short runs this week to work at hills and speed and I should be ready. I am not going to be fast but I will finish it - I am thinking probably around 1 hour 15 mins but we will see.

Noreen, so happy to read this. You alone control what you will and won't do, but know that the Turtles will be here for you as I'm sure you saw. There are bumps in the road and you just made it over one. Great Job and now that even what you might have seen as a failure you turned into an accomplishment. Way to get back at it.
2013-05-19 9:23 PM
in reply to: afischer01

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by afischer01

Morning everyone!  Second spin class today and it was tough!  I pushed a little harder than day 1 and I am feeling it.  Question....I have had low back problems from college volleyball days and sometimes it aggravates my right hip.  Anything I should be doing or checking to make sure I don't have problems while riding?  So far I am just starting out with lifting and riding.....easing into swimming and running later (all to keep myself from reaggravating).  Just wondering if anyone has suggestions.  I have been stretching and using a foam roller for IT band.  Thanks!!

Ashley, sorry I missed this. I also have back issues, two bulging disk. You know your body, but the main thing I can tell you is to do your core work and be mindful of your back. I have found that as I do more the muscles strengthen and I have less and less problems / pains. I can tell you that swimming has really helped me, easy on the back and helps to stretch you out. I will tell you though that I have found it best not to think about it unless it is starting to cause me problems.
2013-05-19 9:26 PM
in reply to: ibr80

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ibr80

I have got a great story for my fellow turtles !!!!

So today I went out for a nice 32 miles bike ride and when I was riding along guess who walked in my path ? A lost Turtle !!! If this isn't a sign I don't know what is. It was about to run into the street and into incoming traffic, so my friend and I went on a quick ride just about half mile down where there just happens to be a wildlife office and had them come out and rescue the little one. I will post a picture if I can get it to work.

Isaac, impressive ride and I love the pictures. The story is ironic considering the group, and I would certainly say a sign. I agree with you on the picture posting, I encourge it and want everyone to feel free to do so. I've never had much luck posting pictures because my old computer has problems compressing pics.
2013-05-19 9:34 PM
in reply to: MJSolt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by MJSolt

I had a rediculoisly lazy weekend. I was outbid, at the last second, on a bike on eBay. I'm just about over the buying used idea. I'd rather have a no-name, 16 speed new bike from the lbs as opposed to combing through ad after ad and auction after auction looking for a diamond in the rough.

I guess there is the option to be a full time runner.

Mike, you may have been just joking, but I really don't think it is a bad idea. It is in your price range, from an LBS, free fit, 50% back within two years, I don't see how you could go wrong, if anything it's an extended rental for $300. If you like it, it fits, get it, I know I mentioned the gears, but you can / will get use to the bikes gearing and will be fine. I have also said not to get hung up on NAME BRAND, if it works for you that is all that matters. Test ride it, get fit, make your decision and be happy with it. In a year you want to upgrade, get your 50% back and buy something else. With this option you know for sure, it's new, fits, and has an LBS behind it.
2013-05-19 9:36 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Extreme Veteran
Y'all please bear with me, I'm still trying to get used to where everything is now and how to do everything, the inspires and comments will come back once I learn everyting.

2013-05-19 11:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I had a busy but good weekend. I had a hard 2 days of bootcamp on Thursday and Friday, I was still in major sorness on Sat morning.
So I skipped my Sat morning swim so I can make it through my run. Yes 3 miles is not long but at this stage of my recovery, it's my long run.

Saturday:
-3.17 mile run (run 10 mins/walk 2 min intervals)
-got home made a big family breakfast
-4 hours of clean, prepping and batch cooking for a week (curry chicken, stew chicken, ham & bean soup, pork chops, steaks)
-2 hours of gardening
-youngest son's lacrosse game (45 min drive), we won!
- showered and relaxed for a family movie

Sunday
-church (had biggest loser challenge weigh in)
-haircut
-work for about an hour
-lacrosse playoff game for oldest son
-take youngest son to a birthday party
-grocery shopping

Lost 3.4 pounds!! Probably due to me tracking EVERYTHING I put in my mouth this week!
that was a lot but i know it won't be like that going forward. Aiming to lose 1 pound a week.
2013-05-20 12:00 AM

User image

Veteran

Originally posted by MJSolt

I had a rediculoisly lazy weekend. I was outbid, at the last second, on a bike on eBay. I'm just about over the buying used idea. I'd rather have a no-name, 16 speed new bike from the lbs as opposed to combing through ad after ad and auction after auction looking for a diamond in the rough.

I guess there is the option to be a full time runner.

Mike, you may have been just joking, but I really don't think it is a bad idea. It is in your price range, from an LBS, free fit, 50% back within two years, I don't see how you could go wrong, if anything it's an extended rental for $300. If you like it, it fits, get it, I know I mentioned the gears, but you can / will get use to the bikes gearing and will be fine. I have also said not to get hung up on NAME BRAND, if it works for you that is all that matters. Test ride it, get fit, make your decision and be happy with it. In a year you want to upgrade, get your 50% back and buy something else. With this option you know for sure, it's new, fits, and has an LBS behind it.

Agreed. Name brands are just stickers. Like I mentioned my bike is almost unheard of. In fact when I first posted pics pictures of it on the boards here a lot of folks didn't recognize the brand. That has not stopped me from passing people on brand name bikes or cycling my way into next year's championships.
2013-05-20 12:09 AM

User image

Veteran

Originally posted by Hubbie

This is NOT good. Woke up around 0300 cuz I was in so much pain. My right knee is so painful I can only move it a few inches. Took me close to five minutes to hobble to the next room to crash in my recliner. This morning the pain is no better. My knee is so bad now it's everything I can do to remain mobile. Don't know what's wrong with it but when I get it to bed I can feel and hear a sickening grinding in the knee. Hope it heals itself soon. I have a 10 mile run scheduled for Monday.

Beth, I wish a speedy recovery. Did you over do it, twist wrong while loading a patient, do you have any idea what it is or how it happened? Anyhow get better, and I would say stay active hear, but reading the post you have and I thank you for that.

At work on Thursdays four of us had to lift a total of 550, and some of that was up a vibrant up a small hill. Thinking that is when I hurt my knee. Of course I can't prove it so I won't get workers comp. It seems to be better tonight. It still hurts but not as bad as it used to. Well probably take tomorrow off too. If my doctor has an opening in the morning I will go see her. I have to work Tuesday night and the last thing I need is to make the injury worse.
2013-05-20 5:01 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
My exciting news: I've taken the plunge and entered the Gold Coast Half Marathon. I'm not sure if I'll finish within the cutoff time or even complete the distance, but I'll give it a red-hot go. It'll be a lot of firsts for me: first half marathon, first attempt to cover this discance on foot in one go, it'll even be my first ever running race. When I write it all out like this I realise I must be crazy.....

ANNA HOLLINGSWORTH
dob: 05-OCT-1971 (F40-44)
Half Marathon (15+)
Half Marathon - Australia OR New Zealand
(15yrs - 64yrs)
BIB#
H04832
THIS IS YOUR 2013 GOLD COAST AIRPORT
MARATHON - E-TICKET
PRINT THIS E-TICKET AND BRING IT WITH YOU TO THE REGISTRATION
CENTRE IN ORDER TO COLLECT YOUR RACE NUMBER
2013-05-20 8:08 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Originally posted by Taringa

My exciting news: I've taken the plunge and entered the Gold Coast Half Marathon. I'm not sure if I'll finish within the cutoff time or even complete the distance, but I'll give it a red-hot go. It'll be a lot of firsts for me: first half marathon, first attempt to cover this discance on foot in one go, it'll even be my first ever running race. When I write it all out like this I realise I must be crazy.....

ANNA HOLLINGSWORTH
Half Marathon (15+)
(15yrs - 64yrs)
BIB#
H04832
MARATHON - E-TICKET

Gratz on the race commitment! I am also running in my first half marathon in October. My only suggestion with training is take it slow and up your distance gradually, you should have plenty of time to get some miles in before October comes beckoning.

2013-05-20 8:22 AM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Lovey

I had a busy but good weekend. I had a hard 2 days of bootcamp on Thursday and Friday, I was still in major sorness on Sat morning.
So I skipped my Sat morning swim so I can make it through my run. Yes 3 miles is not long but at this stage of my recovery, it's my long run.

Saturday:
-3.17 mile run (run 10 mins/walk 2 min intervals)
-got home made a big family breakfast
-4 hours of clean, prepping and batch cooking for a week (curry chicken, stew chicken, ham & bean soup, pork chops, steaks)
-2 hours of gardening
-youngest son's lacrosse game (45 min drive), we won!

Sunday
-church (had biggest loser challenge weigh in)
-haircut
-work for about an hour
-lacrosse playoff game for oldest son
-take youngest son to a birthday party
-grocery shopping

Lost 3.4 pounds!! Probably due to me tracking EVERYTHING I put in my mouth this week!
that was a lot but i know it won't be like that going forward. Aiming to lose 1 pound a week.

Great Job on the 5K and wait lose. With a weekend like you just had you definitely had quit a few calories burned strictly from lifestyle. Let me add that three miles is not a short distance and thanks for making me hungry
2013-05-20 8:28 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Extreme Veteran

ANNA HOLLINGSWORTH
Half Marathon (15+)
(15yrs - 64yrs)
BIB#
H04832
MARATHON - E-TICKET

Anna, Congrats on your entry and know that you will finish and do so in the alloted time. You still have over a month to continue to build and remember alot of a Half or Full Marathon is just you continuing (mental). Not that you want to, but something to make you feel better about finishing is that almost all half's allow at at least 13:45 per mile for time. I'm sure you could go out ride now and brisk walk a mile faster than that. You will be fine, just keep going at it, but remember to increase safely. You don't have to be running half distances in training to do a Half.
2013-05-20 9:14 AM
in reply to: Usulsuspct

User image

Originally posted by Usulsuspct

ANNA HOLLINGSWORTH
Half Marathon (15+)
(15yrs - 64yrs)
BIB#
H04832
MARATHON - E-TICKET

Gratz on the race commitment! I am also running in my first half marathon in October. My only suggestion with training is take it slow and up your distance gradually, you should have plenty of time to get some miles in before October comes beckoning.

I guess I read your DOB as the race date, a month to prepare for half is an ambitious goal for sure. Just be careful and stay with a pace that you are comfortable with both in training and on race day. Try your best to temper the race day adrenaline and do go out of the gate to "hot".
2013-05-20 11:30 AM
in reply to: Usulsuspct

User image

Sorry i have not been participating in the discussion very much guys. Had my daughters bday on Saturday which was an all day event. I lurked in the discussion over the weekend just never chimed in. Congrats to everyone working hard and training as planned!
2013-05-20 11:49 AM
in reply to: corbetjackson50

User image

Extreme Veteran
Corbet, thanks for the post, I was beginning to worry about you. I believe that your Trinity is also calling for some attention. Wife all healed up?

2013-05-20 12:46 PM

User image

Corbet, thanks for the post, I was beginning to worry about you. I believe that your Trinity is also calling for some attention. Wife all healed up?

wife is better than she was... She still feels fluid in her ears especially while trying to sleep and she is still in some pain. the specialist say she has some hearing loss tray could be permanent. She is to go back 6 mo.the from now to retest. Hoping for a good ride on wed weather permitting. Im actually going to try and ride the actual race course! They are calling for 70% chance of scattered t storms.
2013-05-20 8:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Off of training and work for the rest of the week. Doc thinks I hurt the cartilage in the knee. This sucks, I'm suppose to be training for the national championships in September not sitting on my recliner getting fatter by the minute.
2013-05-20 8:51 PM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Oh no! Hopefully you'll heal fast. Lots of fish oil, glucosamine, and anti-inflammatories? I suppose rest and time are the two main healers. Not very helpful in this situation .
2013-05-20 8:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
this new BT website is throwing me off. All my links are gone!
I had links to the swim plans that are in BT but not listed with the training plans.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 45