General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-02-10 5:36 AM
in reply to: DBGlobal

User image

Yardville, NJ
Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!!
Originally posted by DBGlobal

10.5 miles on the treadmill is quite a physical and mental workout. Congrats! I have exactly four weeks before I need to begin my 12-week HM training plan. The plan calls for 4 runs per week, one short and easy, one interval or hill repeats, one tempo, and one long run. Since I've only been running 3 days per week, I'm going to take the next 4 weeks to ramp up my running to four per week, plus work on the other 2 sports. My workout schedule looks like this: Mon-weights/easy run, swim. Tues-bike, run. Wed-weight, swim. Thurs-bike, run. Fri-off. Sat-run. Sun-bike. Is anybody else training off some sort of plan, or just freestyling right now?

Thank you! It was quite a workout. I'll share my treadmill observations later...

As far as following a plan, yes, I swear by them. When I wing it, I have a hard time knowing what to do when.

I am currently in 20 week half marathon plan. Since I was not much of a runner, had never ran more than 5, i wanted to focus my winter training on the run. It is pretty much 6 days a week. 1 day of cross-training (bike or swim). It includes at least one rest day per week (some weeks have 2). It includes 2 strength workouts. And a mix of short, easy runs, hills, speed work, and normally a long run on Sunday. It really has helped my running. It's based on time, not distance.

I'm approaching the time when I need to add in more bike/swim. I have sprint's in May, June and July. Then my first Oly in August. I'm thinking of an intermediate sprint or Oly plan that will lead me right into those races.

2014-02-10 5:38 AM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by luvschips

1 1/2 hour bike ride done!

Hope everyone's weekend has gone well

Donna

Excellent! That's a long ride. Which brings up a sore subject... I need a new saddle. Any suggestions?
2014-02-10 5:50 AM
in reply to: Mfechter67

User image

Yardville, NJ
So my treadmill story of Sunday (which might spark a blog topic for one of the bloggers in the group ...

Plan called for 110 minute run. I figured the preset of 120 was easier to select, so I'm off and running for 2 hours. It was Sunday morning and the gym was pretty busy. Only 2 open machines, so I grab one and Randi grabs the other (not even close to each other). First hour and half were pretty much uneventful except for the endless stream of people that got on, got off, got on, got off. My new entertainment while doing long treadmill sessions is people watching. It's amazing the things you see.

At about 35 mins to go, machines on either side of me open up. The guy that got on my left was, how can I be polite... Well, I can't. He stunk! And not workout stink. He was right from home and phew, it was bad and made my eyes tear. So as I'm trying to battle through and breathe more to my right, the woman on my right started coughing and sneezing. I'm not much of a germs phone, but that grossed me out. So I've got stinky on my left and sneezy on my right.

Well lucky for me, Mr Stink only last for about 10 minutes. Sneezy only lasted 5 more. So I finally got "clean" air with 20-25 to go and I finished strong.

A true battle of mental endurance!
2014-02-10 6:33 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Originally posted by Mfechter67 So my treadmill story of Sunday (which might spark a blog topic for one of the bloggers in the group ... Plan called for 110 minute run. I figured the preset of 120 was easier to select, so I'm off and running for 2 hours. It was Sunday morning and the gym was pretty busy. Only 2 open machines, so I grab one and Randi grabs the other (not even close to each other). First hour and half were pretty much uneventful except for the endless stream of people that got on, got off, got on, got off. My new entertainment while doing long treadmill sessions is people watching. It's amazing the things you see. At about 35 mins to go, machines on either side of me open up. The guy that got on my left was, how can I be polite... Well, I can't. He stunk! And not workout stink. He was right from home and phew, it was bad and made my eyes tear. So as I'm trying to battle through and breathe more to my right, the woman on my right started coughing and sneezing. I'm not much of a germs phone, but that grossed me out. So I've got stinky on my left and sneezy on my right. Well lucky for me, Mr Stink only last for about 10 minutes. Sneezy only lasted 5 more. So I finally got "clean" air with 20-25 to go and I finished strong. A true battle of mental endurance!

Awesome job!!!!  The YMCA does not allow anyone to use a piece of equipment for more than 30 minutes at a time.  Especially during busy times.  So, we purchased a decent treadmill for home.  The longest I have EVER done is 90 minutes and that was watching movies on the TV about 10 feet away from the treadmill in my basement.  Maybe next winter I will be doing longer runs like you, but I hope to be able to be outside running in about a month and even then it won't be the times or distances you are talking about.  Again, great job.

2014-02-10 7:36 AM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by flip18436572

Awesome job!!!!  The YMCA does not allow anyone to use a piece of equipment for more than 30 minutes at a time.  Especially during busy times. 

Same at my work gym. I want about 40 mins because I want to get 3 miles in. If everyone leaves I will reset the trendmill so my timer restarts. My issue is not the people who want to use it. My problem is the people who demand to use it for 5 mins of walking while waiting for there class to start. They come in a big wave and take everything.

2014-02-10 9:53 AM
in reply to: #4946918

Way to hang in there with Stinky and Sneezy. I have the hardest time with the people who are afraid they might smell at the gym, so they pour on an entire bottle of perfume or cologne. I seem to be extra sensitive to that and it immediately gives me a horrible headache. This treadmill running is going to take some getting used to. Today was my easy 2 mile run and it was a struggle. I think the 2 main reasons were: 1) this cold I have, and 2) I haven't run in anything > 35°F in a couple months so it was at least 30° warmer than I am used to. I'm sure it will just take some time to adjust.

As far as saddles go, I purchased the Adamo Prologue last year and all my problems with numbness caused by my stock saddle were gone. I find it to be comfortable as well (once I got my undercarriage broken in).

2014-02-10 9:54 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Originally posted by chirunner134

Awesome job!!!!  The YMCA does not allow anyone to use a piece of equipment for more than 30 minutes at a time.  Especially during busy times. 

Same at my work gym. I want about 40 mins because I want to get 3 miles in. If everyone leaves I will reset the trendmill so my timer restarts. My issue is not the people who want to use it. My problem is the people who demand to use it for 5 mins of walking while waiting for there class to start. They come in a big wave and take everything.

And they walk at 2.0 mph on a 0.0 incline for 5-10 minutes and then go sit on a weight machine saying how tired they are.  Not just one time, but every single time they come in.  I only use our YMCA for the pool.  The rest of my workouts are at home on the trainer and treadmill on bad weather days and outside on all of the others.  I actually like being on a run in a light rain and even a light snow if I know there are not any ice patches to worry about.  Those are great days to be outside and enjoy the weather.

2014-02-10 10:49 AM

User image

New user
Howell, Michigan
Had my first swim yesterday since I broke my wrist. Swam 1,000 yards, slowly! It felt good to be back in the water.
2014-02-10 11:01 AM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Originally posted by Mfechter67

Originally posted by luvschips

1 1/2 hour bike ride done!

Hope everyone's weekend has gone well

Donna

Excellent! That's a long ride. Which brings up a sore subject... I need a new saddle. Any suggestions?

I just got a Bike Nashbar FS1 for $20 free shipping and have to say I love it! I didn't want to spend a cpl hundred and figured at $20 was disposable, but in all honesty works great. I would recommend giving it a try for the price and then scour ebay for a Cobb or Adamo, I think an Adamo ISM saddle will be my reward for completing my first sprint tri

Man good work everyone, people coming alive and working hard! I personally feel a plan is a MUST, keeps you on track, takes the guess work out and makes it easy to quickly know what you need to do that focuses on a goal. I am almost done with an 8 week sprint tri program on Training Peaks that will end on the 22nd with me doing an indoor tri. This is the first time I have used on and this is the first time I have EVER followed through with any fitness program.

So personally had a tuff swim last night, my head was POUNDING, so much so after my first 400 I felt like puking. Struggled to get a few more 100s in before i had to pull the plug but while I was going was total focus on stroke technique and what a difference! Can totally feel new sore muscles which is instant feedback I was doing it wrong, VERY WRONG! What a difference 10 mins with a coach makes! Bike is tonight and will be back on my trainer after all my maintenance headaches.
2014-02-10 2:33 PM
in reply to: diablo243

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Just registered for the Niantic Bay Triathlon, Sunday August 3rd!!!

For all you NY NJ peeps consider coming up for this, I have 3 guest rooms and would be happy to host some fellow group members! It's a great event in a beautiful area, right off of the I95 corridor so easy to get to. If anyone is interested, hit me up and we can make plans!

http://www.hartfordmarathon.com/Events/Niantic_Bay_Triathlon.htm

This was to be my first official sprint tri all on my own but looks like I will be doing one in May in RI instead as my first, so this will be my second and still very new to me. Would love to have some vets up here in my clyde/athena class to help me through the nerves!
2014-02-10 2:57 PM
in reply to: Fechter99

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open

NAME / username: Doug / Hook'em

STORY: Started doing triathlons 4 or 5 years ago when I was laid up with a running injury.  Once I began s/b/r, I found I could do more with fewer injuries.  When I started triathlons I weighed 276 and I am now around 245.  Unfortunately, I have been down below 210 twice in the last two years and managed to go back up.  I have been in two weight-loss challenges in which I lost 35-40 in two months, which is obviously unsustainable.  This year I hope to lose weight moderately and keep it off.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two girls, 9 & 11.

CURRENT TRAINING: Swimming three times a week and sporadically running and biking.

2013 RACES/ results:  Early in the year I set a HM PR and did my first 70.3.  I did an olympic and a sprint, then had to lay off running and biking due to knee issues.  Finished the season with one more, uninspired sprint. 

2014 plans and RACES:  probably going to focus on short races this year and hopefully increase speed with weight loss.

WEIGHTLOSS: Looking to drop from 245 to 205 and maintain.

2014-02-10 7:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Yardville, NJ
http://youtu.be/B03dFMG8nR4

This video was too funny.

Edited by Mfechter67 2014-02-10 7:22 PM
2014-02-10 7:23 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by Hook'em

NAME / username: Doug / Hook'em

STORY: Started doing triathlons 4 or 5 years ago when I was laid up with a running injury.  Once I began s/b/r, I found I could do more with fewer injuries.  When I started triathlons I weighed 276 and I am now around 245.  Unfortunately, I have been down below 210 twice in the last two years and managed to go back up.  I have been in two weight-loss challenges in which I lost 35-40 in two months, which is obviously unsustainable.  This year I hope to lose weight moderately and keep it off.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two girls, 9 & 11.

CURRENT TRAINING: Swimming three times a week and sporadically running and biking.

2013 RACES/ results:  Early in the year I set a HM PR and did my first 70.3.  I did an olympic and a sprint, then had to lay off running and biking due to knee issues.  Finished the season with one more, uninspired sprint. 

2014 plans and RACES:  probably going to focus on short races this year and hopefully increase speed with weight loss.

WEIGHTLOSS: Looking to drop from 245 to 205 and maintain.

Welcome aboard Doug!
2014-02-10 7:36 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
1 hour on the trainer tonight - 16.5 miles.

A friend from work just bought 2 Adamo Road saddles (he won one on eBay that he didn't think he had a chance of winning). He's going to let me try one and see if it fixes my pain. I'll keep you posted how it works out.
2014-02-10 9:20 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

36 laps in the pool tonight (half mile).  Still not a great swim, but better than the last time.

2014-02-10 9:40 PM
in reply to: #4916495

Hopefully he'll let you borrow the saddle for a few rides. They say on their website it takes some time to get used to, and I agree, it took me a good four or five rides before I got used to the pressure in new places, but I immediately knew it was going to work for me.

today was weights/short run, then a 2200 yd swim at lunch. Run at 10 min/mi, swim pace certainly wasn't that impressive.

2014-02-11 5:11 AM

Regular
New York
Hey can I get in on this group? If so I will post up my info.

5.4 Miles this morning, slow but steady. Now if I can get consistant.
2014-02-11 5:30 AM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Yardville, NJ

36 laps in the pool tonight (half mile).  Still not a great swim, but better than the last time.

Excellent. "Better than the last"... That's progress! Nice job!
2014-02-11 5:31 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ

Hopefully he'll let you borrow the saddle for a few rides. They say on their website it takes some time to get used to, and I agree, it took me a good four or five rides before I got used to the pressure in new places, but I immediately knew it was going to work for me.

today was weights/short run, then a 2200 yd swim at lunch. Run at 10 min/mi, swim pace certainly wasn't that impressive.

He will. It was used already, so if I don't like it, he'll put it back on ebay as used. I'll be sure to give it a fair trial.
2014-02-11 5:33 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ

Nice workout! I really envy people that workout at lunch, I haven't figured out how to swing that and still get something to eat!
2014-02-11 5:35 AM
in reply to: UpstateNYYeti

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by UpstateNYYeti

You're more than welcome to join! Please see page 1 and post a profile when you can.

P.S. - Diablo will probably come up with some other membership requirements... He's good like that!

2014-02-11 5:44 AM
in reply to: diablo243

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by diablo243

Just registered for the Niantic Bay Triathlon, Sunday August 3rd!!!

For all you NY NJ peeps consider coming up for this, I have 3 guest rooms and would be happy to host some fellow group members! It's a great event in a beautiful area, right off of the I95 corridor so easy to get to. If anyone is interested, hit me up and we can make plans!

http://www.hartfordmarathon.com/Events/Niantic_Bay_Triathlon.htm

This was to be my first official sprint tri all on my own but looks like I will be doing one in May in RI instead as my first, so this will be my second and still very new to me. Would love to have some vets up here in my clyde/athena class to help me through the nerves!

Looks like a great race! Thank you for the hospitality and the invite. I don't think we'll be able to make it up there this year. I have an Oly the following weekend. Plus, that's our youngest sons birthday weekend.

2014-02-11 6:29 AM
in reply to: UpstateNYYeti

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Originally posted by UpstateNYYeti

He who would like to join the group of death
Must answer me
These questions three
Ere the other post they will see

What... Is your name?

What... Is your quest?

What... Is the airspeed velocity of an unlaiden swallow?

Good luck
2014-02-11 7:56 AM

User image

Good Morning!

I have been SUFFERING with sudden calf cramps! Only on the bike and this morning when I swam. I felt it tighten and then it hit hard when I pushed off the wall...

Any suggestions?

Wishing everyone a great day!

Donna
2014-02-11 8:26 AM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Take some sort of anti inflammatory first off like ibu or something, if you have a foam roller try lightly working the muscle if the pressure hurts stop. Is there any pulling type pain when the joint moves in the knee of is it more of just a cramping pain?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 28161 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 100347 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 0
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
date : September 19, 2004
author : Michael
I’m a C-L-Y-D-E-S-D-A-L-E! Many people in the sport know the division is there, but many of them think that it's a 'fat boys division.' So what constitutes a Clydesdale? Why even have this class?

date : September 3, 2004
author : Ron
What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?