BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Marvarnett's Group - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2007-03-15 10:37 AM
in reply to: #625456

User image

Regina, Saskatchewan
Subject: RE: Marvarnett's Group - Full

I use an Orca, no issues whatsoever. There was some mention that the neck could give you problems, if so, use Glide .... and I have a thick neck (something like my head).  I've never needed it.

If I remember right there were issues with a two piece crawling up at the waist. Big advantage you can buy different sizes in the top and leg but you look like a pretty standard build so the legs wouldn't be too long.

Anyway, my two bits.  

2007-03-16 4:20 AM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
First ever bike time trial on Saturday with the Tri Club on a route I have never seen before.

I know its hilly as I stopped my 57 mile ride a few months ago a couple miles short of this.

Any hints?

Heck I will probably get lost.

Blah, never mind, already mentioned this before. Dan said he would respond when he does his.

Guess I am getting so old I forget.

Edited by Cashmason 2007-03-16 2:47 PM
2007-03-16 9:42 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Ok...I've got lots of answering to do.

Cash:  Good job on the reverse tri.  That sounds like a really odd course if you can't pass on the downhills.  That's the fun part.  I've very happy you decided to race after your crash.  As you know, you have to swim lots to get use to it.  Do you use a seal mask or goggles?  You  mentioned your mask leaked.

I am proud of you for buying hard soled shoes.  You should see an improvement in your speed.  Depending on how out of true it was, you could have been rubbing your brakes during the race.  BUT...you should always check  your bike before you go out on it.  spin the wheels and see if they are rolling true.  What kind of a car rack did you get?  I have a Thule roof rack and love it.

You can't be pesimistic about your Time Trial...that's MY job about mine!!!  You'll be fine.  Just remember to stay focused and leave it all out there.  Use your gears on the hills and remember that you don't have to run or swim with it so go all out.  Also, get in a good warm-up!!  I just learned that you should show up to the line starting to sweat.  So warm up about half the time you'll be on the course.   I'll be on my trainer for 30 min before my 40K TT. 

Shaved Wookie:  WE miss you ART!!!  IM FL is coming...you'll be ready.

Mike:

I LOVE my Black Pearl (Arrgghhh).  I have also used an Orca (too tight in the neck) and an Xterra Vector Pro2 (great suit and recommend it)

Why I prefer the Black Pearl:  Buoyancy.  The purpose of a wetsuit is for buoyancy not warmth.  When you start to get tired, the first thing that drops is you hips and then your feet.  The 2 piece of the Desoto T1 give you 5 mils in the hips (3 from bibs 2 from top) and that keeps your hips high in the water.  The neck is very forgiving and it's actually easier to get out of than a 'normal' wetsuit.  But I think it's a bit harder to get into.  Plus if you are a weird size, the 2 piece works out well.  I've got a different size top and bottom.  They ask for specific measurements and figure you out.

What to look for:  Fit fit fit... you want it to be tight when you put it on.  It will release a bit in the water.  And when you put it on, jack that sucker way up into your crotch and under your arms.  You want those two areas to be tight.  Too many people don't know how to put on a wetsuit.  If you feel arm fatigue, it's because you have the suit on wrong 95% of the time.  And like I said, a wetsuit is for buoyancy, not warmth.  So I recommend getting a full if you can afford it.  The only time I've ever 'overheated' in my wetsuit was when I swam a 2500 in the 84 degee pool when I got it.  And the catch panels that a full has help a lot.

Oh...and I've never had it crawl up my waist.  And you don't have to worry about the leash getting caught anywhere.  It's down around your waist.  So if someone catches it, they will only make sure it's zipped.  I've seen people get their wetsuit partially unzipped in the washing machine start. 

Everyone:  Almost forgot.  You don't have to  have a loop on the back of your shoe to put the rubber bands on.  You put it around your shoe itself.  And it's ok if your shoes are on upside down.  You flip them up when you get on.

2007-03-17 4:30 PM

User image

Expert
Well time trial is over. Had a great time. First 4 miles were all up hill. Cadence magnet shifted in the car on way over, so had no cadence during the ride. I was pretty happy with the downhills. Not much in way of flat areas. Uphills definitely need work. I have a triple crank, and even in the middle ring and big sprocket in back, I was mashing.

First 6 miles could not get the chain to shift to the big ring. This happens occasionally. Finally got it to work.

Final was 13 miles in 46:50 Average 16.65 mph. Good news is, lots of room for improvement next year.

Met lots of new people in the tri club, and they were all nice.
2007-03-17 5:04 PM

User image

Regina, Saskatchewan

Awesome Cash. Its all about meeting people and having fun. The fitness is the side benefit.

How were the new booties??? 

Edited by starcorp 2007-03-17 5:06 PM
2007-03-17 9:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
East Aurora, NY
Great job Cash!  As long as you had fun, met new people and learned from the experience I would say it was a success!  Hearing about it also got me thinking about trying a 20k TT that is held locally in my area this summer.  I might just give it shot for fun.

2007-03-17 9:17 PM
in reply to: #726336

User image

Extreme Veteran
East Aurora, NY
Marvarnett - 2007-03-16 10:42 PM

Ok...I've got lots of answering to do.

Cash:  Good job on the reverse tri.  That sounds like a really odd course if you can't pass on the downhills.  That's the fun part.  I've very happy you decided to race after your crash.  As you know, you have to swim lots to get use to it.  Do you use a seal mask or goggles?  You  mentioned your mask leaked.

I am proud of you for buying hard soled shoes.  You should see an improvement in your speed.  Depending on how out of true it was, you could have been rubbing your brakes during the race.  BUT...you should always check  your bike before you go out on it.  spin the wheels and see if they are rolling true.  What kind of a car rack did you get?  I have a Thule roof rack and love it.

You can't be pesimistic about your Time Trial...that's MY job about mine!!!  You'll be fine.  Just remember to stay focused and leave it all out there.  Use your gears on the hills and remember that you don't have to run or swim with it so go all out.  Also, get in a good warm-up!!  I just learned that you should show up to the line starting to sweat.  So warm up about half the time you'll be on the course.   I'll be on my trainer for 30 min before my 40K TT. 

Shaved Wookie:  WE miss you ART!!!  IM FL is coming...you'll be ready.

Mike:

I LOVE my Black Pearl (Arrgghhh).  I have also used an Orca (too tight in the neck) and an Xterra Vector Pro2 (great suit and recommend it)

Why I prefer the Black Pearl:  Buoyancy.  The purpose of a wetsuit is for buoyancy not warmth.  When you start to get tired, the first thing that drops is you hips and then your feet.  The 2 piece of the Desoto T1 give you 5 mils in the hips (3 from bibs 2 from top) and that keeps your hips high in the water.  The neck is very forgiving and it's actually easier to get out of than a 'normal' wetsuit.  But I think it's a bit harder to get into.  Plus if you are a weird size, the 2 piece works out well.  I've got a different size top and bottom.  They ask for specific measurements and figure you out.

What to look for:  Fit fit fit... you want it to be tight when you put it on.  It will release a bit in the water.  And when you put it on, jack that sucker way up into your crotch and under your arms.  You want those two areas to be tight.  Too many people don't know how to put on a wetsuit.  If you feel arm fatigue, it's because you have the suit on wrong 95% of the time.  And like I said, a wetsuit is for buoyancy, not warmth.  So I recommend getting a full if you can afford it.  The only time I've ever 'overheated' in my wetsuit was when I swam a 2500 in the 84 degee pool when I got it.  And the catch panels that a full has help a lot.

Oh...and I've never had it crawl up my waist.  And you don't have to worry about the leash getting caught anywhere.  It's down around your waist.  So if someone catches it, they will only make sure it's zipped.  I've seen people get their wetsuit partially unzipped in the washing machine start. 

Everyone:  Almost forgot.  You don't have to  have a loop on the back of your shoe to put the rubber bands on.  You put it around your shoe itself.  And it's ok if your shoes are on upside down.  You flip them up when you get on.

Thanks Dan!  Just a quick follow up question re: the Black Pearl, who did you go through for the purchase?  You mention that "they ask for specific measurments" for the top and bottom to determine if you need two different sizes.  Did you go directly through DeSoto or another tri shop?

Thanks!

2007-03-17 9:31 PM

User image

Expert
Question about spinning on hills. A couple of times now, once today as I was getting passed on a hill, and a couple of weeks ago with the local velo club guys have told me to spin up the hills.

Thats all great and good but I am already on the middle ring in front and biggest gear in back and still a very slow mash.

I guess I could drop down to granny gear but that gets me about 3 inches an hour.

Is there anything I can do differently. I do keep dropping down to slower/ easier gears but on long hills I eventually run out of steam and the spinning becomes slower than mashing.

I also sound like a steam engine huffing and puffing. Which is slightly embarrasing as I just did my 4 th marathon last month. And I was huffing and puffing on the bike on hills even right after that. Yes been running since 2005 and just got this bike in November, so guess I need to build up to this too.
2007-03-18 2:45 PM
in reply to: #726878

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Emilio Desoto himself sent me an e-mail because I won it as part of a BT raffle.  So I got it directly through Desoto.  I am pretty sure they have the same process when you go through their site. 

Unfortunately, local Tri shops are limited on the brands they carry.  But that's the nature of the game.  That's why I got an Xterra the first time.  I was able to put it on.  The awesome thing about Desoto's suits is that they have a 14 day return policy.  No questions asked as long as you haven't written your name in the tag.  I've heard of them sending you 2 sizes and you send back the one that doesn't fit. 

Fantastic Customer Service.

2007-03-18 2:51 PM
in reply to: #726883

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Cashmason - 2007-03-17 10:31 PM Question about spinning on hills. A couple of times now, once today as I was getting passed on a hill, and a couple of weeks ago with the local velo club guys have told me to spin up the hills. Thats all great and good but I am already on the middle ring in front and biggest gear in back and still a very slow mash. I guess I could drop down to granny gear but that gets me about 3 inches an hour. Is there anything I can do differently. I do keep dropping down to slower/ easier gears but on long hills I eventually run out of steam and the spinning becomes slower than mashing. I also sound like a steam engine huffing and puffing. Which is slightly embarrasing as I just did my 4 th marathon last month. And I was huffing and puffing on the bike on hills even right after that. Yes been running since 2005 and just got this bike in November, so guess I need to build up to this too.

Cash,

There is no pride in climbing hills.  Remember that just because you go to the small chain ring in front doesn't mean that you have to be on the easiest gear in the back.  Basically, big ring front and big 3 rings back is equivalent to small ring front and small 3 rings in back. (basically).  So that means that you have lots of overlap...especially if you have a triple.  The point of spinning up the hills is to save your legs for the run.  Mashing just thrashes you legs for the run.

When you go out and ride, practice spinning up the hills.  Find the gear that you are keeping a 90+ cadence at but still "working".  Also, keep in mind as the hill continues, you might just have to get out of the saddle.  But upshift about 2 before you do it.  This helps you crest the hill and keep the speed you've built up as it goes.

Don't worry about the huffing and puffing thing.  I do it when I climb.  I understand it can be frustrating and embarrising, but try to not let it bother you.  Try to exhale on your down stroke of your pedal.  Work your breath.  It will come.  But practice on your rides...you'll get better and it will get easier.  Or you could move to Kansas....your call!

2007-03-18 9:18 PM

User image

Expert
By the way, thanks for the advice about pedaling hard on the downhills. I passed 2 guys who were resting their legs and coasting right after they started on the downhills.

Crap run today. Not sure if it was the time trial yesterday or what. I usually run these trails at about an 11 minute pace which is an easy pace with a friend. Haven't been on these trails for 6 weeks since the marathon.

I was struggling to do 12 minute miles by mile 2. I haven't done much in the way of long runs, but I run 5 to 6 miles a couple times a week at sub 9 minute pace on roads every week since the marathon. Was planning on doing 14. Turned around early and only did less than 8. My quads never hurt on a run. Today the word isnt quite hurt, but they let me know they were there.

Also got blister on the ball of right foot. Not sure if its from yesterdays ride or new trail shoes today. Probably the latter, but the bike shoes are just a tiny bit loose.

2007-03-19 1:18 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

My Time Trial Race Report is up:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=69545&posts=1&start=1

Cash,

Chalk it up to a bad run.  Remember that you DID race recently.  Let you body recover my man.  It's all about mixing up the easy and hard workouts. 

You need some Revcover-Ease.   :P

Edited by Marvarnett 2007-03-19 1:18 PM
2007-03-19 1:55 PM

User image

Regina, Saskatchewan

Hi Dan:

I am registered for Lorient and have finalized some of the travel. I guess what they are doing is they will get you to Paris and then you have to take the train from there to the south coast. Problem is the planes flying there can't take bike boxes. I can get one from our Tri Club but this is going to be a pain in the a$$. Never had to travel around with one before. Any comments or tips would be appreciated.   

John 

2007-03-19 3:22 PM

User image

Expert
Dan.

I signed up for the wicked fast team. Didn't hear from them, but did get some recover ease packets in the mail.

Problem was every single pill in each packet was crushed to dust and there was dust on the outside of each packet as well.

Not very appealing. The envelope looked fine, so I assume the product was crushed before it was mailed. I also got the impression that the packets had been sitting on an inventory shelf for the last three years. I used to work in procurment and inventory control for Shell Oil. You learn after a while by just walking into the warehouse, what stuff is new and what has been sitting around for quite a while. You are an engineer, so I would assume you see that too. Most of my work was with engineers, they were always giving me req's, and then when stuff arrived for their projects we would go out and inspect the stuff together.
2007-03-19 3:27 PM

User image

Expert
And you are right, I had a bad run, I chalked up to the race the day before. And usually I drink a protein shake after exercise, but the day of the race, my girlfriend and best friend wanted to go to the running store because they had a large sale on, and after that they wandered around other stores and hours later we went out to breakfast.

So yes not my typical recovery effort.
2007-03-19 3:31 PM
in reply to: #728753

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
starcorp - 2007-03-19 2:55 PM

Hi Dan:

I am registered for Lorient and have finalized some of the travel. I guess what they are doing is they will get you to Paris and then you have to take the train from there to the south coast. Problem is the planes flying there can't take bike boxes. I can get one from our Tri Club but this is going to be a pain in the a$$. Never had to travel around with one before. Any comments or tips would be appreciated.   

John 

John,Awesome about Worlds. I am still going to try and requalify and go. We'll see how that goes because the qualifiying race is 2 weeks after my "A" race.In regards to travelling with a bike box. The more mobile the better. I know that sounds dumb, but there are bike boxes that are NOT easy to move around because either their wheels are fixed or they are just clunky or can only be pulled by one end. that's why I recommended the one I have. It's like a big suitcase and you can pull it, push it, maneauver it and this is key: Stack stuff on it.In regards to getting around with it, not too bad. It fit in the back of a cab, in the aisle of a bus. If you want to be safe, bring some bungy cords to secure the trunk of a car. Had to do that. Does that help?

2007-03-19 3:55 PM
in reply to: #729006

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Cashmason - 2007-03-19 4:22 PMDan. I signed up for the wicked fast team. Didn't hear from them, but did get some recover ease packets in the mail.Problem was every single pill in each packet was crushed to dust and there was dust on the outside of each packet as well.Not very appealing. The envelope looked fine, so I assume the product was crushed before it was mailed. I also got the impression that the packets had been sitting on an inventory shelf for the last three years. I used to work in procurment and inventory control for Shell Oil. You learn after a while by just walking into the warehouse, what stuff is new and what has been sitting around for quite a while. You are an engineer, so I would assume you see that too. Most of my work was with engineers, they were always giving me req's, and then when stuff arrived for their projects we would go out and inspect the stuff together.
Cash,It's funny that you had that experience. I too had that experience when they sent me plain samples in the mail. Unfortunately, they didn't send it in padded envelopes. I spoke with them about that and informed them that they were arriving as dust. Can't take dust. When I got on the team, they send me a box full of samples and they were intact. As an inspector, I know exactly what you are talking about.
2007-03-19 4:28 PM
in reply to: #729030

User image

Regina, Saskatchewan
Thanks Dan. Our club is just buying the cases so I will check with the cycle shop.
2007-03-19 6:34 PM

User image

Expert
Don't mean to come across as whiney. Actually I was pretty pleased with my race.

I am pretty competitive in nature, so I tend to focus on fixing the weak links, rather than brag about strong points.

I was pleased with my efforts on the downhills and flats. I felt like I was flying, which was pretty neat.

I was wishing the clip on's were about an inch longer, and actually I have enough room that I could do that if I can figure out how to loosen up the clamps. Last time I used the allen wrench I got the clamps apart but I had a hard time getting the bars to budge forward. I should probably buy a bike stand, as trying to balance the bike against the car while playing with the wrenches isn't a stable work platform.

I have Shimano Sora shifters and front derailleur, with a tiagra rear derailleur. The rear derailleur seems to work fine. The front one seems balky some times or even pushes the chain all the way off the small sprocket. But not often. Yes I adjust the screws and it works fine again for a while.

Would buying a better front derailleur be worth the money? not sure what the cost or how much to install.

Edited by Cashmason 2007-03-20 2:39 AM
2007-03-20 2:43 AM

User image

Expert
Just added more data from Motion Based to my time trial day blog.

What does it mean if my average heart rate is close to my max heart rate for most of the race?

That I am giving close to my max effort?

Also today noticed that the middle ring makes a funny sound when the right pedal is between 4 o clock and 6 o clock. Doesnt matter what cog on the back it is in. Does not happen on the big ring or smallest front ring ( yes I have a triple). No sound when I am coasting.

When I put the bike on the car rack and turn the crank by hand I feel a little resistance at the same spot.
2007-03-20 5:41 AM
in reply to: #729630

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Cashmason - 2007-03-20 3:43 AMJust added more data from Motion Based to my time trial day blog.What does it mean if my average heart rate is close to my max heart rate for most of the race?That I am giving close to my max effort?Also today noticed that the middle ring makes a funny sound when the right pedal is between 4 o clock and 6 o clock. Doesnt matter what cog on the back it is in. Does not happen on the big ring or smallest front ring ( yes I have a triple). No sound when I am coasting.When I put the bike on the car rack and turn the crank by hand I feel a little resistance at the same spot.
Cash,Do you have a trainer? If so, put your bike on that when you want to do some type of maintenance. Check your crank bolt. It might be loose. Also, if it's a scraping noise, it could be your front derailleur out of alignment, but that would make the sound a lot more than at the 4 and 6 position. When was the last time you had a full tune up done? You should get it done before the season gets into full swing. I've had my bike tuned 4 times so far this year and each time is was a bit out of whack. (note: I didn't have to pay for them, so that can be a barrier!)In regards to your average HR. You know my feelings about the whole maximum HR thing. But if your average is close to the 'max', then you are giving it an all out effort. I personally would use that average HR as your LT test to set up your zones for the bike. But that's just what I would do. I used my TT as my LT test for the start of the season.

2007-03-20 5:43 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Oh...and just for the record.I would have given my left leg for a triple at IM Wisconsin last year.
2007-03-20 11:59 AM

User image

Expert
It's really hard to pedal without a left leg.

Don't have a trainer.

Sounds like the chain may be running on the big ring or derailleur.

Just had the bike tuned up 2 weeks ago, right after the crash. That was the last free tune up.

And yes was planning on using the average heart rate over the last 20 minutes as my bike LT.
2007-03-21 2:41 AM

User image

Expert
Woot the tri club is offering free swim video analysis this week end.

Yes I suckify at swimming and know this, but feel like I am getting a bit better. This may help.

They suggested brining fins. Don't have any yet. Are zoomers the best ones to buy?
2007-03-21 6:35 AM
in reply to: #731107

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Cashmason - 2007-03-21 3:41 AMWoot the tri club is offering free swim video analysis this week end.Yes I suckify at swimming and know this, but feel like I am getting a bit better. This may help.They suggested brining fins. Don't have any yet. Are zoomers the best ones to buy?
That is something that you definetly don't want to pass up! Zoomers are good. I have heard some people don't like the split fin ones though.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Marvarnett's Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 18