Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2007-03-01 10:41 PM
in reply to: #629883

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Subject: RE: MarkQuiet's group - FULL
Doug - I'm glad to hear that my friend is not alone in his struggles in the pool trying to do the TI drills. I haven't tried them yet because like you I've been trying to "cherry pick." After reading the book more intently it sounds as though the drills are key. I'm going to try them.

Tami - glad you like the Kurt Kinetic. I'm anxious to get mine and check it out. I"ll let everyone know how it goes. As to the Eric Harr book, you're looking at the right one. I personally didn't find his training plans that helpful, of course, what do I know, they might be great. The part I really liked about the book were the stretching and strength training chapters. I like working out at home with free weights and Eric uses a balance ball which really aids in core strengthening. He incorporates stretching into the strength workout which is important to me because I tend to have tendon problems (thus the achilles thing going on right now). He also has a good recipe in the book for a peanut butter/banana smoothie that I make and drink before I run at 5:30 or 6:am. It's the only thing I can get in my stomach that early that doesn't want to come back up when I run.

I'm heading to bed. Hope to make it to the pool tomorrow but we're getting some bad weather it looks like. I was going to try a group ride on Saturday morning but that may be affected by weather too - I'm going to try starting my running again and pray my achilles don't hurt.

Have a good one everybody!

Tara

2007-03-01 11:07 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Rules of the Road:  I'll be happy to engage in a discussion about the laws in Texas as they relate to bicycles on the roads (two pursuits near and dear to my heart), and see if we can apply them to your state.  But as for tris - they'll generally arrange to have the intersections controlled by law enforcement and/or volunteers and reserve a lane for the bikes.  Not to say some idiot won't merge in to turn right in front of you (as some old man did to my RB at the Cowtown last weekend).  Generally, even here in bike unfriendly Texas, I've found the drivers respectful during events.  Remember, you'll be on your bike around 8 am on a Saturday or Sunday.  Not too many folks out at that hour, anyway.

I have so much more to say about this part of biking - safety, interaction with cars, rules of the road, etc.  Someone let me know if you want to discuss it.

2007-03-02 9:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth

Ah... the questions about biking during the tri. This is a topic that DOES require some discussions, especially for the newbies.

You ever watch Lance Armstrong winning one of the Tour de France? Or how about some other nationally televised cycling race? See how they are are all bunched up and ride real close? How they discuss "team efforts" and "drafting"? Well pretty much forget all of that. Its illegal in triathlons. Yes illegal. Infact, if you are caught doing something like that you will be fined!!

First rule in tris - no drafting on the bike. Drafting is using another rider to block or break the wind for you. It is very useful in cycling events and having a group drafting together will increase the groups overall speed by at least 3 - 5mph!! Drafting can be dangerous. One small erratic movement can cause a major accident. That is why the use of aero bars are illegal in most cycling events (can't get to the breaks fast enough). In triathlons they just make the draft illegal. A triathlon is an individual sport and guidlines are there to ensure safety and fairness to that goal.

So with that in mind, aero bars are allowed and used often (reduce the body surface facing the wind to reduce oveall draft). Riders must maintain at least 3 bike length separation between themself and the rider in front of them. Passing is done to the left of the rider being overtaken.  Slower riders to the right.  Passing must be completed within a certain time limit (something like 30 seconds). If the pass can not be done in the appropriate time the rider attempting to pass must fall back to 3 lengths before attempting to pass again. Once passed the slower rider must drop to at least 3 lengths behind the faster rider or be penalized.  There are bike martials on the course (most of the time on motorcycles) that will notate violations. Penalities are in the form of minutes added to the overal time.

The thing with passing is a pretty hot topic most of the time. Most of the new people to tris miss this point. I only new about it because I read the USAT Rules and Guidlines. Of course I make sure I do at least one "cycling" event a year so I can partake in the whole drafting concept. Of course I don't use my aero bars when working in a drafting group.

HH100 Doug? Maybe we should look at putting together a riding group for that event this year. It sucked doing all 102 miles last year by myself.

2007-03-02 4:42 PM

New user

Wow. I knew drafting was not legal - but I had no idea drafting was considered less than 3 bike lengths. Actually it gives me a little peace of mind as I was concerned about someone riding my butt. I was also concerned about screwing up someone else's race because I don't have a clue as to what I'm doing. Now if they would only use the same concept in the swim and have to swim 3 body lengths away from the person in front of you - I could really relax ;-)
Thanks for the information.
One more thing - I suppose it's probably different for every tri - but - do they "cone off" a bike lane on a road that has no side to it?? The road for the first tri I'm doing has no - man I can't think of the stupid word - no road past the right line on the right side - goes right to grass or gravel in most places. Sorry guys, still trying to adjust my meds from the cancer - sometimes simple words elude me. Anyway - is a bike "lane" set up on the road or do you just ride on the road and cars look out for you? I figure by the time we get to the bike, things should be spread out - at least for me as it will be significantly later than those super fast swimmers.
Thanks again,
Tami
2007-03-04 7:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
I'll chirp in on the TI discussion. When I started training in October, I had not swum a lap since I was 9. I tried to swim laps with no instruction for 3-4 weeks, and it was embarrasing. I got the TI book and DVD, and have come a long way.
The book is ok, but not great. The DVD is much better. Seeing the drills is 1000% easier than reading their description. I also got a lesson with someone TI emailed me. That also made a huge difference. Someone who know the drills can correct small things that make a big difference. After my lesson, I did the drills exclusively for 3 weeks. Then I started adding swimming. It made a big difference.
I am still not a good swimmer. But, I have come a long way. The TI technique helps a lot. It gives a lot of confidence and allows you to start from scratch and build stamina while you refine your technique. The only problem is that it is rather slow. Add that to my natural slowness, and it is a chore to swim distances nonstop. It is a mental challenge that I am still working on. As all the posts say, it takes a long time to develop proficeincy. At least that is what I tell myself.
Getting stubby fins helps a lot with the drills. They also develop leg strength, not just for the swim but also with just raw muscle. For someone like me with weak legs and knee problems, it has helped my run a lot too, because of the extra leg workouts. The fins get all aspects of my legs, and do it without hurting the knees. A pretty good $30 investment. I use them at least once a week to do drills.
2007-03-05 7:58 AM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
well, all the TI talk and I'm convinced. This weekend I got the book and started reading. this morning I started doing drills. Mostly the first drill and started working a bit on the second drill. I don't think I'll mind doing drills for the next 3-4 weeks and getting away from laps...however, in April I'll definately want to be back to doing laps again to get ready for an early May tri. I'm assuming that 3-4 weeks of drills should get me to the point of using the TI method to swim laps.

2007-03-05 8:52 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

It got me there.  I'll continue to refine as I drill laps.

Congrats.

2007-03-05 10:28 AM
in reply to: #711429

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
If you all don't mind, I'm going to ***** for a moment. The first thing is not really a big deal b/c there is already a solution but anyway.

There has been a tentative family engagement for May for quite some time. Lots of weekends were discussed, non of which were the weekend of the 5th...so, I planned my first triathlon for that weekend. well, you guessed it, that is when we're all getting together for my grandmother's 80th b-day. It'll be nice but it took the wind out of my sails last night. Anyway, that weekend they are doing a tri on both the Friday and the Saturday. I'm now going to do Friday. But I can't help but think that it won't be the same, I'm assuming that there will be less participants and less volunteers and less excitement. Not what I wanted for my first tri.

next. I'm not exactly sure why but I've been very tight lipped about planning to do a tri. Obviously I've told my wife and she is ultra supportive and I told my sister who does 1/2 marathons at the drop of a hat and is gearing up for her 2nd full marathon. otherwise I hadn't told anyone until last week. I think I was afraid of two things...one, that I wouldn't follow through and then other people would know I failed and two, that they would think it was a joke and assume I couldn't do it. well, I've now told two other people and the reactions were not much better than i feared. The first person I told then went on to tell me how easy a sprint triathon would be...mind you she doesn't run or swim and hasn't biked in several years and never did anything organized or competitive...but she certainly minimized all I'm doing to get ready. then yesterday I told my mother-in-law. She is staying with us for 2 weeks and she's watching me train so I told her that I'm preparing for a triathlon on may 5th. W/o pause she spent the next 10 minutes going on about how may 5th will be her 9 year anniversay for not smoking...then later when I found out that may 5th was my grandmothers party I said I was dissapointed that the party was that day....her reply...didn't you tell me earlier the party was that day...I know you had something planned that day...it's my quit smoking anniversary. My reply...nope, it was something else I had planned that day.

I don't need fanfare, praise, or anything out of the ordinary but geez, is some common courtesy to much to ask for.

The good news is that I'm obviously doing this for myself b/c neither reaction took away from my determination or discouraged me.

thanks for letting me vent for a moment.
2007-03-05 11:11 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Sluggo - you need a manhug (((hug))).

Bummer on the conflicting date, but unless you have to travel for Oma's 80th, perhaps you can do the tri in her honor in the AM and then party (triple celebration - your accomplishment, MIL's smoke-free anniversary and, of course Grandma's B-day).

Don't let the naysayers get you down.  You're doing this for yourself and no-one else (except perhaps, wifey).   Try turning their reactions into extra motivation for your training and the event.  Then, challenge them to join you at a future one.

you can do eet, mon.

2007-03-05 11:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth

Tami (or Tami using Mary's name, or whatever),

Usually the race officials will post signs or designate a lane for bikes during a triathlon. There are also law enforcement officers to ensure the safety of the participants. However, my advice - Don't cross the "designated" bike lane.

Suggo - people know I do tris, but I try to avoid telling people new goals I set for myself. I too don't want people to know that I am a failure if I can't do something. My 4-4-B4-40 is a case in point. Injury prevented me from completing it, but I still feel like a failure. Then I realized that I am doing this for me. What I do is more then most people will ever phantom doing. Oh and those people that say a sprint tri is easy - is someone that has never done a tri (or someone that does half iron man distances before breakfast). Yes the distance of a single event may sound easy, but combine them together and add several hundred people doing it together and the story changes. When I find someone that says "Oh that doesn't sound to bad" or something to that effect. My response is "Great!!! Then how about you do it with me!". Amazing the excuses that fly after that.

Everyone here doing their first tri, first half mary, their first anything is doing something more then a lot of people would ever dream of doing. You are setting goals and going for them. You are on the path of getting healthier and taking care of yourself!! A recent report stated that 65% of Texas adults are overweight and 35% of Texas children. That is an outrageous. I like knowing that I am one of the minority in this case!! Good job to everyone and forget what others may say to you. Stick to your goals. You are the only one that is going to take care YOU.

2007-03-05 11:34 AM
in reply to: #711612

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Hey Jay,

One good thing about the whole dilemma is that its a dilemma at all....If you were sittin' on your duff doing nothing, it wouldn't even be an issue. So, way to go being out there shooting for a life-changing goal. I like Doug's idea of a triple celebration that day, or, if you have to do it the day earlier, you'll have your very own celebration for YOU!

As to the lady who minimized the "sprint" tri, I have to catch myself sometimes saying, "Ya, it's only a sprint." Ugh - what the heck do I know (or does she know). It's going to be tough and a huge milestone in your life (and mine). I hope the day comes when we can both say "just Sprints" cuz we're doing Oly's and HIM's (THEN, we'll know what we're talking about!) So, forgive her ignorance, smile and know in your own heart that when you finish, you will have experienced the exhilaration of finishing "only a Sprint Tri" and she has no idea what she's talking about until she's done one.

I kinda hit a new realization this weekend too since I'm nursing an achilles tendon thing and I've had to restart my running at a very low level. It made me reconsider my goal - which was to complete a Sprint Tri in May and to be able to run the whole way. Now, I'm still hoping for that, but, I'm realizing that by keeping that my main goal, I might push too hard and reinjure myself. So, the cool thing is, I'm accepting that I might have to walk part of the run part, BUT, now I have a bigger goal. I want to complete all three of the 3-part Sprint Tri series here in Crystal River, AND I want to get better with each one. I'm not limiting myself to a goal of running without stopping in one tri, I'm instead going to broaden my goal to keep working past the initial sprint which may not be what I had initially wanted it to be. All that to say, keep your immediate goal of doing the sprint tri in May, but look past it to see how that might play into a bigger goal.

You'll do great and I love that you're not letting it deter you. One thing I'm learning from listening and watching to the folks on this website is that goals get messed up by weather, family stuff, injuries, etc and its how we react to them that keeps us in the game for the long haul. We're making life-changing choices here, not just flash-in-pan stuff. I hope everything works out better than you even imagine. Have a great week!

Tara

2007-03-05 4:33 PM
in reply to: #711703

User image

Oops - At first I had no idea what you were talking about when you said (Tami using Mary's name or whatever) and then I realized when I posted that, I had  posted with my husbands (Marty) account.  Must be he left it up on his computer and I got on thinking it was mine.

Sorry for the confusion. 

2007-03-06 8:06 AM
in reply to: #712371

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
thanks everyone for the support, it is much appreciated.

I have to say that this group is doing wonders for my motivation and for keeping me on track.

thanks again,

Jay
2007-03-06 9:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth

Jay, that's is the whole idea of doing the mentor group and of this website. I'm glad to hear that it is keeping you motivated.

Tami - sorry for my own typo. I did mean to type Marty. Please, let Mary know that if he wants to join us here, he is more then welcomed. Its up to the two of you.

All - Just wanted to let everyone know that I think that I will be doing my first tri of the season on the 17th of March. It is a local sprint tri. I know the course, so I am hoping that will help with my time. Yesterday I did similar distances in all three to get a feel for my fitness level going into the tri. Based on that, my realistic goal is to finish in under 70 minutes. My target is to finish in less than an hour.

2007-03-06 7:43 PM
in reply to: #713041

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Kirk: that's pretty impressive that without much swimming yet you can jump in with a few weeks notice and do a tri. Awesome.

Edited by fgray 2007-03-06 7:44 PM
2007-03-06 9:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Kirk - You're flying on your bike times. Be careful on that leg but good luck on the Tri!

Jay - I agree totally about the great encouragement this website is. If anyone is able and willing, sign on to be a paying member and help support the folks who run it.

Hey - I got my Kurt Kinetic trainer today. It was easy to set up and I even installed the watt computer myself as well as assembling the trainer (okay, my hubby helped me a little but more to check out what I was doing than anything). I have it set up in the living room and plan on riding tomorrow after work. I thought it would feel unstable and scary but its not at all and, its very, very quiet. Something tells me the workout is gonna be tough - I'll let you all know how it goes.

Have a good one,

Tara

2007-03-07 7:54 AM
in reply to: #714143

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
way to go Kirk. I'll be looking forward to hearing how you do.

Tara - good luck with the trainer, let us know how it works out for you. I'll probably wait until the fall or early winter but I think I'll be getting one. Today is going to be 70 degrees here and the weather just keeps getting better so I'm looking forward to doing some riding outside.

Doug, by the way, the other day you suggested doing the tri in the morning and then going to my grandmother's b-day party. funny you suggested that, the first thing I did when I found out was check mapquest to see if that was feasible. It's a 7.5 hour drive to grandmas so it won't really work...oh well.

have a great day everyone.
2007-03-08 9:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth

Frank - I actually do have some swimming experience, and my endurance in the pool is adequate (4K in a recent workout). 300 meters in a 50m pool will be fairly easy. I won't break any records, but I should seed pretty decent.

All - thanks for the encouragement on the upcoming Tri. My leg is doing good. I ran a 10K last night at an fairly easy pace (my easy pace). I did okay, but I do realize that my hydrations is still fairly low. Which brings up an interesting point.

[lecture] As we start moving into spring (atleast those of us in the South) you need to start focusing on your hydration. Many "off" days can be attributed to mild cases of dehydration. Typically I can tell if I am dehydrated if during my runs I get cotton mouth, my lips get dry, or if my sweat is unusally salty (stinging my eyes as it drips into them). I also notice that my HR is higher then normal with the amount of preceived exertion (also know as RPE). If I notice these things early I know that I am going to have an off day and I will have to struggle to finish these runs. Unfortanetly hydration does not come with a bottle of water 10 minutes before our workout. Hydration must occur throughout the day - constantly. Also the amount of caffine consumed during the spring and summer must be reduced. Caffine is a diuretic and will quickly dehydrate you. Make it part of your daily routine to drink more and more water or sports drinks. As you do so the impact of the warmer (or in the case of TX - hotter) will be reduced. [/lecture]

2007-03-08 10:55 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

I don't know how the rest of you approach this particular issue, but I'm curious to see what develops (if anything) from this post.  As you know, if you browse my blog at all, I'm pretty into playing soccer - sometimes 2x week.  I count those minutes as workout, even though they're not from one of our main three sports.  I also count hiking, skiing, snowshoeing, etc. as workouts (many of which I'll be doing next week in Colorado and Texas).  I'll try to run and swim at altitude, too, but that depends on weather and time.   Moreover, I'm not afraid to skip a workout day if I'm feeling too tired or it just got too late to do it (like last night).

So here's the discussion topic I want to start - how do y'all feel about occassionally skipping a workout?  Does it just chafe you not to be out there?  Do you feel guilty?  Refreshed?  Alternatively, how do you count your other activities?  Do you use them as substitutes for tri workouts? 

Anyway, If we can scam some wireless provider while up in the mountains, I'll check in.  If not, that'll explain my absence for next week.  I still plan on writing a few road cycling tips which I hope will be of some benefit for all the cyclists in our group.

Happy trails.

db

2007-03-09 8:32 AM
in reply to: #715922

User image

Runner

Hello, all.

I mentioned this to Kirk, and he said to go ahead and post this.  In terms of caffeine and dehydration; recent studies have shown that caffeine is not the issue in terms of dehydration that it once was considered.  Generally, it requires 600 mg or more to create a diuretic effect in people, and this effect is lessened in people used to consuming high levels of caffeine (building a tolerance for the stuff).

That being said, he is exactly right in terms of overall issues related to dehydration.  You need to drink water.  Not soda, not sports drink.  Water.  It's best to do it throughout the day. 

http://ific.org/foodinsight/2002/ja/caffdehydnbfi402.cfm
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/Pubs/columnnn/nn031103.html

Kirk, hope this helps in terms of clearing up some things. 

2007-03-09 9:00 AM

User image

db-

Here's my opinion on what you were talking about.  Of course take this from a total and complete newbie perspective (in other words, someone who has no idea what their talking about!).

For me personally, skipping workouts is just not a good idea.  Not only does it make me feel guilty, it also tends to start me down a path of not picking it back up again and next thing I know a week has gone by without a workout.  I'm someone who needs the discipline and who follows the program I've uploaded exactly, if not overshoots it. 

As far as other sports go.  I have no clue what I'm talking about here as far as tri's go - but I've been a varsity girls soccer coach for 13 years and I have girls that double sport.  In all honesty, they are very talented in both sports - but never able to really give 110% percent in both sports.  They are often plagued with injuries - especially those girls that double in track and soccer.

Yet here we are in a tri - 3 sports at the same time.  However, I would think that if you played a game of soccer - that would be enough of a workout for a day.  Personally I have intentions of playing indoor next fall and unless I'm in WAY better shape than I'm in now - I will definatly count a game as enough of a workout for the day.

In my uneducated opinion, the beauty of tri is the balance of the 3 sports.  You work different muscle groups so no one group is over-taxed.  I think the injuries I mentioned above come from the constant pounding of soccer/running, whereas with tri's, your doing different things.

That's just my thoughts coming from an overweight newbie trying to find her way in this new sport!

2007-03-09 9:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth

Scout, thanks for the update on the caffine. I'll be sure to look at the links you posted. Anytime you (or anyone for that matter) has constructive feeback to what I or anyone else posts please feel free to do so. I am by no means an expert on the many aspects of tri training. I don't get offended with being corrected or being introduced to new information. We all should be learning something new everyday.

As for Doug - I think you already no my answer to your inquiry. It does kill me to skip a workout. Look at yesterday. Not much in my log, but at least I did something that I could mark down as a workout. Even if it was just a bike ride to the bank to get some cash (8 miles round trip). Do I feel guilty if I don't do a workout or don't do what I was scheduled to do - hell yeah. Does it really make a difference - not really.

As for the counting of other sports / activities. Oh yeah. I don't play soccer, but I do yoga. I also count the daily walks with the dogs. I have also been known to rack up some hours when I was moving out of my house after the divorce (lots of lifting and carrying - by myself). I look at it this way. If I can't do workouts its best for me to at least show that I was at least active during that time and not sitting (or napping) on the couch eating chips and watching the NASCAR race (as I did a couple of weekends ago).

Edited by MarkQuiet 2007-03-09 9:12 AM
2007-03-09 9:30 AM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
two things, first a response for Doug

I'm not sure that I'm ready to skip a workout...an object in motion tends to stay in motion; an object at rest tends to stay at rest. If I lose momentum now I could be in trouble. That being said, I look forward to my rest days and feel very refreshed during and after those days. I'm sure that when I'm further into this sport I'll be more flexible but not yet. As for other activities...makes sense to me. Why not work on improving fitness and endurance while having fun. I don't see an issue with cross-training provided it is not so often that it detracts from tri training. Of course, I'm not at the level where I'm hoping to be on top of the winners podium at the end of a race.

next thing..

last night I went to a Triathlon Expo here in Atlanta. Lots of fun, really enjoyed it. It was hosted by a local multi-sport club. Many vendors, mostly bike shops, and booths to sign up for races. We also have a store called all3sports here that specializes in triathlon gear...they were there and raffled off a tri bike...I didn't win, very dissappointing. They also had 30 minute seminars running back to back for about 2 1/2 hours...Lots of good information for a beginner. I also came home with lots of sports gels, powdered drinks, and sports bars. I'm not at the point where I need that stuff but it's nice to start building the arsenal.
2007-03-09 10:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Thank you guys for the reminder about hydration. I'm in Florida and have discovered that I think many days I just could not finish a run (a year or so ago when I tried to start running and kept feeling worse and worse so gave it up) were due to dehydration. I didn't realize how important it is to drink throughout the day and to sort of "load up" before I work out. Now I religiously carry my bike bottle with me and make sure I drink 3-4 of them a day (plus more while I'm biking or working out). I've experienced the dry lips, salty sweat and really dizzy, heartbeat in my throat feelings that are discouraging. I'm going to have to start running early in the morning now that the time is changing cuz the sun is getting high and its disabling to try to run when its blazing down.

Doug, it seems like for you guys who are thoroughly addicted and "imprinted" with your exercise routine, its less crucial when you miss a day. I agree with the other newbies that it can start a downward spiral of excuses to not exercise when we miss. I'm probably a little more flexible than others - its my nature, but I always try to move my body through space in some way during a day (unless I have a planned day off). For those of you who have made this a lifestyle, I would think that a "missed" day is actually good for both your body and psyche if you don't let it destroy you. I would say, feel bad for a second and then relish the fact that you're as fit as you are and look forward to your next workout. I agree that I think other sports should "count" as training. After all, you are using some muscles that you normally don't use even in a "tri" workout and that's got to be good for you.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Tara
2007-03-10 2:10 PM

Regular
All,
I've was out of town for a couple of weeks and it was tough to stick to my training schedule. I got back to home station last Sunday nite, so I was able to get in a good training week this week. I think that the more consistent I am with sticking to my training schedule, the better I feel about myself and ultimately I can improve. Today I did all three events in sequence, and I went the distances for my first tri in April. 500 meter swim in 17min 41sec; then 10 miles on the bike in 34min 30 sec; and finally the 2 mile run in 18min 15 seconds. Although I rode the stationary bike, this still gives me an idea of what it will take for me to pace myself thru the 3 events on my first tri. It was a very good workout, and I am tired. Think I'll have a beer and watch basketball!
I enjoy reading everyone's messaging. This continues to be a great group!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MarkQuiet's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 26