BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2007-02-20 10:07 PM
in reply to: #640246

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Prof40's Group -- Technically full but you can still sneak in...
okay team, get out pens and paper, please, and copy down these three workouts that Gordy Paulson, the cycling expert gave us at our tri meeting:

Three workouts that are guaranteed to significantly improve your cycling performance: (before each intense interval session make sure you do a long 15-20 minute warm up which includes a few short 'jumps' up to your threshold; also make sure that you do 15+minutes of cool down afterwards)

1. Muscle tension intervals

The idea is to perform low cadence 50-70 rpm, high resistance intervals building to repeated 20 minute intervals. 4-6 intervals is the target per workout. Rest period between intervals is 3-5 minutes. Do no more than two intense interval workouts per week; two of these or one of these and the second workout might be the muscle recruitment workout.

2. Muscle recruitment intervals

The idea is to combine intervals which emphasize the various muscle types (e.g. fast twitch, slow twitch) in a specific order and with very careful attention to recovery during the workout so that you 'recruit' fast twitch fiber to work in conjunction with slow twitch for greater overall power. An example of such a workout combines 8-10 full on sprints of 12 seconds, using high cadence (120rpm); between each sprint you spin easy to recover for a minimum of 3 minutes, after you complete the last sprint you do 10 minutes of easy recovery spinning before going to phase II. In phase II you do 6-10 one minute intervals done right at or slightly above threshold, use a high cadence (110rpm). Recovery spin 6 minutes between each interval and do 15 minutes of easy spinning before starting the final set. The last phase is 3-4 2.5 mile endurance intervals at your race pace. High cadence again (90-100rpm), with at least 6 minutes between each interval.

3. Overspeed intervals

After you have built strength/power doing the first two kinds of intervals, you need to ramp up your ability to go fast. One way to accomplish this is to participate in high intensity pack racing, especially criteriums such as Superweek. Motorpacing, although probably not legal, and definitely something that must be approached with careful attention to safety, is one way that professionals have prepared for their most important events. You can also find a course where you have assistance reaching speeds above what you normally can maintain, examples would be down gradual grades and down wind. The idea is to push the speed envelope as high as you can, recover, and push again.

References:

High performance interval training by Dr. Gordon Wright
www.abcc.co.uk/articles/wright1.html

High-resistance interval training improves 40-km time-trial performance in competitive cyclists, by Amy M. Taylor-Mason
http://sportsci.org/jour/05/amt-m.htm

Since all I can do is sit and watch all you super people do super workouts while I recover, I figured I'd give you a heads-up as to the challenge for next week. I plan to try the first two types of interval workouts. Will save the third for when I have someone trained to drive the car properly to not kill me Gordy is actually an attorney, so if he gave us the third one, even though technically not legal, well.......

So, until Sunday, check out the references, read through and try to understand the two types of interval workouts. Then next week, pick one, or both, and try it! I personally, will need to have a sticky note on my bike so I don't forget what exactly I'm supposed to do next. I'm making copies for my group cycling people so that perhaps, we can do these together. The second one actually takes 2.5 hours if you do the warm up and cool down like he says, so I'll need to make sure I have a baby sitter! BGT--are you SURE you are ready for kids????

2007-02-21 4:02 AM
in reply to: #697518

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Malphh - 2007-02-20 8:50 PM

hey guys just rode 40kms 24.85 miles i think in 2 hours 6 mins first time i rode that far and i am rooted! just chasing a general time which i should be aiming to do this distance in i dont want some world record pace but a respectable time... cheers

malphh

Excellent! How'd you feel getting off the bike? Any problems lifting your leg up and over the seat post?
2007-02-21 4:10 AM
in reply to: #697629

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
phoenixrising404 - 2007-02-20 11:07 PM

So, until Sunday, check out the references, read through and try to understand the two types of interval workouts. Then next week, pick one, or both, and try it!

And the challenge is proffered.

I'm looking forward to this one.

I also have to get into the pool. I am so far behind in the yardage I wanted to do this month. Not that my goal is impossible to reach, but it will require almost daily swimming now to pull it off, which means I'll have that lingering odor of chlorine about me for days.

March is going to be a running month. I've ignored the runs because of the cold (and now for 3 days b/c of the ankle), but with warmer temps finally here, and spring break on the horizon, I have no reason to stay inside. And my replacement mp3 arrived the other day, so it's time to crack it open, load it up, and get moving.

I'm actually looking forward to the next few weeks, just to see what I can do.

Edited by prof40 2007-02-21 4:20 AM
2007-02-22 1:16 PM

User image

Regular
am i allowed to join. i am wrapping up a winter race series (races ranging from 5k to 8 miles). i run anywhere from an 8:40 mile to 10 minute mile depending on distance and course. i have never done any distance triathlon. however, i am proud to say that i haev completed a marathon and half marathon since starting this journey 2 years ago.
i am 36 years old, married, with 2 boys. i train in the morning and my wife is very supportive.
for the next year i have commited to the following as i am racing in association with a local children's hospital. the plan is to use running and racing to get the hospital some donations. that said i am running a race a month. i have a marathon planned in october (steamtown). i also plan to do my first sprint tri 3 weeks before the marathon.
in my minds eye i see myself as a triathlete. my love is running but i NEED to branch out. i am looking for seasoned athletes to help me balance my training to get ready for the tri while getting marathon ready.
i love me some personal challenges (doing things to push myself and others to their PERSONAL comfort zone)so if i get accepted look out group. also, i have read all your posts and all of you are soooooooo motivating. you all rock!
2007-02-22 2:08 PM
in reply to: #697701

User image

Brandon, FL.
Hi Everyone !

All of my grandiose plans for training this week were derailed by a darn flu/cold bug. I haven't been able to work out all week and it's getting very annoying !

At the end of last week, I spoke with a PT at my gym about putting together a strength training plan for me that I would have begun this week so I'm doubly-annoyed.

I have a scout outing (I am a scoutmaster) this weekend at a campsite on the bay. So, to make myself feel somewhat better, I thought I would head over to the dive shop to pick up a wetsuit to practice some actual bay swimming in. Well... Nothing says "Back to the treadmill" like neoprene.... LOL ! I rented one anyway and will give it a try. The bay is around 62 degrees right now so I think it will be very much needed.

To answer Marks question, I live in Brandon, Florida. It's a 'burb' of Tampa and a drive down the main street would have you believing that it is probably the largest strip mall in the country.

http://local.google.com/local?sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rls=GG...

I am a recent transplant from California (2001) and have almost perfected my pronunciation of "Y'all"

I did not pass out during the water challenge, but I did make about 50 trips to the bathroom.

I am still trying to find a place to swim around here as the only time I have is the early morning before 6am and in the evening after 7pm and all of the swimming pools in my town are closed during those hours.

Well, that's about it. Take care everyone and I hope you are making great headway towards your weekly goals !

Sean
2007-02-22 5:51 PM

User image

thinkin of purchasings a pair of skins... i think there called compression pants? any1 beleive in these i know a few fellas wear them for footy and swear by them i was thinkin bout buying some long bike pants but figured i might as well go for the skins which will do more for me.. any1 got any thoughts comments or anything on these type of gear??
cheers
malphh

2007-02-23 9:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Hi

Not much to report on this week other than I have managed to stick to my goals thus far although I think tomorrow may be a bit of a challenge as I am going out with a couple of shooting chums this evening so I might put a long ride off to Sunday.

However, let me tell you about Total Immersion swimming. As described in a previous post, my swimming style is a little like a drunk in a bar room brawl. As this is not conducive to long distance swimming, I decided to do something about this and yesterday went for the first of five sessions with a TI instructor (thanks Prof for the encouragement to get instruction). First he videoed me whilst I swam and talked me through what I was doing wrong. I may have thought that the worst thing that I was doing was choosing to wear Speedo’s whilst sporting a well developed lower chest but no, there was more. Much more.

We spent about twenty minutes going through the first set of drills on my posture and legs before I got a chance to try it out and I must say that, although there was nothing ground breaking in what was being said, by concentrating on the absolutely bleeding obvious things, I could swim, with my legs just doing a gentle flick kick. On my back my stomach rose a little like the iceberg that did it for the Titanic and wobbled nicely from side to side but this was a good thing. Apparently.

We moved onto doing the same drill going side to side and then while rotating and before I knew it I was swimming forwards into a steady current without using my arms at all and without exerting myself whatsoever. A veritable epiphany!

Apparently one of the biggest faults with swimmers is the breathing and this fault I had in bucket loads. Having watched the video I was holding my breath under water and completely emptying my lungs and refilling them every-time I rose to breathe. This apparently gave rise to mild hypoxaemia which means that you get fatigued overly quickly and, in turn, meant that I panicked whilst swimming and tried to get more and more air into my lungs which gave rise to a sensation similar to hyperventilating. After having done this for about 5 mins (about 250 yards) I had to stop.

Time for another epiphany so we practiced breathing drills. I was now swimming with just my legs (actually it was my hips doing the swimming, the legs just happened to provide the propulsion), arms by my side and rolling over to breathe gently and regularly.

For the first time since I was a wee nipper (a small child) I felt comfortable in the water and felt as though I could be there all day. Absolutely brilliant.

Next week I’m in the pool Monday, Wednesday and Friday to do my drills which I will be doing for the next couple of weeks before going back for my next session and I’m actually looking forward to it.

Malphh asks about skins: I live in mine. I think that the Under Armour wear is fantastic and I use both the warm and cold weather gear. If you are using them on your bike put a pair of tri-shorts over the top and you’ll be fine. As a side benefit they act a little like a corset pulling in all those unsightly overhangs that too much beer flavoured water give you! By the way, well done on the bike. Feels good huh? Keep it up and those times will start coming.

Mike: Welcome. Prof “runs” this bunch of triathlon misfits (!) so I guess he has the ultimate say but you sound as though you will fit in. Just so you know, if you get to set a challenge, my personal comfort zone is at the end of the bar in my local, the Dog and Gun. I would stretch this zone as far as the Rose and Crown but the beer there’s not as good (I don’t think he cleans his pipes as often as he should).

Thanks to Sean and Watergirl for giving me an idea of where they live and what it’s like there, come on the rest of you, don’t be shy. I am really very interested and I promise not to turn up!

Signing off now till next week. Off to buy a house this weekend to accommodate the horses I bought last week. Why oh why don’t they want to learn chess instead?!
2007-02-23 6:32 PM
in reply to: #699537

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
mike hall - 2007-02-22 2:16 PM

am i allowed to join. i am wrapping up a winter race series (races ranging from 5k to 8 miles). i run anywhere from an 8:40 mile to 10 minute mile depending on distance and course. i have never done any distance triathlon. however, i am proud to say that i haev completed a marathon and half marathon since starting this journey 2 years ago.
i am 36 years old, married, with 2 boys. i train in the morning and my wife is very supportive.
for the next year i have commited to the following as i am racing in association with a local children's hospital. the plan is to use running and racing to get the hospital some donations. that said i am running a race a month. i have a marathon planned in october (steamtown). i also plan to do my first sprint tri 3 weeks before the marathon.
in my minds eye i see myself as a triathlete. my love is running but i NEED to branch out. i am looking for seasoned athletes to help me balance my training to get ready for the tri while getting marathon ready.
i love me some personal challenges (doing things to push myself and others to their PERSONAL comfort zone)so if i get accepted look out group. also, i have read all your posts and all of you are soooooooo motivating. you all rock!

You're in! Another early morning riser. It's not so bad going out at dawn when you know others are suffering, too.
2007-02-23 6:44 PM
in reply to: #699935

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Malphh - 2007-02-22 6:51 PM

thinkin of purchasings a pair of skins... i think there called compression pants? any1 beleive in these i know a few fellas wear them for footy and swear by them i was thinkin bout buying some long bike pants but figured i might as well go for the skins which will do more for me.. any1 got any thoughts comments or anything on these type of gear??
cheers
malphh

I like them -- warmth and comfort are great -- but I highly suggest that you try them on in a brightly lit room with a good mirror before heading out. It's amazing/shocking/disconcerting how some can oh so clearly show off your bits and baubles. And believe me, no one needs to see mine.

Then again, with your AU accent, that look might work for you. It's sort of like the way that European guys can get away with wearing a Speedo on the beach. It's...."ah....he's foreign. Okay then."
2007-02-23 10:42 PM

User image

Minneapolis
It has been a long time since I have worked so hard in one day.
First yesterday, I did run 3 miles with the YWCA running club which was cool.
So today, I did a one hour water class and swam 12 laps which was my goal, THEN at 4:30 my staff called me and could not teach- knowing women were coming on a cold, snowy night I did not want to cancell class SO I aggreed to teach a 45 min. water cycle and a 60 min water aerobics class. I did it and now I am sooo tired. I still need to run 1.86 miles to reach my 7 mile goal.
Bed time- Big Girls need night night!
PS welcome new guy!
ps I run a fitness program at the YWCA for women of color to access health and fitness- right now we are running about 34 classes a week at 12 differnt locations, these women travel from all over the city for these classes so to travel all that way and have no teacher makes our program look really bad.
BGT
2007-02-24 12:14 AM

User image

Good job BGT! Once again, you amaze us in your tenacity. Is water cycle like spinning class underwater? Ive never heard of it? Do you feel good tired though? I like it when I know I have really worked to my max but didnt over do it, so when you finally get to lay in bed at night your body just flops down in exhaustion but not in pain.

Mark: Im SOOO glad you are taking those swimming classes, I was worried about your "drunken brawl "stroke and I love it when people finally "get it"- the feeling of gliding thru the water rather than fighting it.

Phoenix: Thanks for the challenge- it honestly sounds awful to me since I dread cycling BUT maybe I will appreciate the different ways to train on the bike. I finally saw a physical therapist today who specializes in bike fitting and bike related injuries- and Im excited to see what the changes will do to my riding! I have new hope today after my whine-ing earlier in the week. Of course everything things still hurts but for some reason it doesnt seem as disabling today.

Jose: thanks for that advice about my hip; I guess you missed my other post detailing my long extensive medical workup for what is basically chronic inflammation of the glut medius. I think you are right though, I now have some good ol' piriformis syndrome of my butt now too.

I payed money for a triathlon today- the first registration of the year- but its not till August. The Danksin Women's Triathlon- which Phoenix and Jeng should look into as well cuz theres one in Wisconscin- sells out after a few days so I had to sign up now even though it seems like a lot of money. But, I have done it 5 years in a row and it was the first one I ever did so I guess I better just keep up the streak. Its a great amateur tri, which means I get to feel like Im faster than usual. And I have a bunch of girlfriends who are going to do it for the first time- I love remembering that first time tri excitement! Im serious, ladies: this is a race you should try and get into if there is one near you. Its an awesome experience racing with over 3000 other inspiring females. Heres the link if you are interested http://www.danskin.com/triathlon.htmland then click on entry information.

alright good night- have a happy weekend and may we all consume the appropriate amount of liquids no matter they may be (:

2007-02-24 4:29 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
WEEK IN REVIEW: FEBRUARY 24

Wow, another week gone, and the energy is still so high here. Very nice. I wonder if I'm getting more motivation from this group than you.

BGT wins the honesty in planning award. Not only does she list what she does but what she intends to do so we can hold her accountable. She's much more brave, and organized, than I am. And she's doing ab work, and she hit her swim goal, so gold stars to her.

JOSE's cracked rib continues to heal and he's looking at a Phoenix tri in May. That desert sun sounds so good on this winter morning in Pennsylvania. And he's offered two medical opinons this week. Not bad, Doc.

PHOENIX scared the dickens out of me, which just isn't something I ever expected to feel while reading a triathlon forum. So to anyone else planning on throwing tough medical situations at me in the future, let me just say this --- don't. Please. I'm too damn old.

She also set forth a bike challenge (see her 2/20/07 post), which I'm looking forward to starting. I have an easy week ahead, and the hope (fingers crossed) is a lot of exercise. I need it, too. I'm so pale, and with the way I've been eating, I look like the Pillsbury Dough Boy.

MALPHH was peeing in the cold, which affected work productivity. Yep, that sentence will be going through my head for the rest of the day. It's one of those things that, if you said it out loud in conversation, say when in line at the grocery, the person behind you hearing it would have to wonder...."what the F?" Go ahead, try it today and see. He's also riding good distances and wardrobe shopping.

JENG is a self-diagnosed slacker. She suggests that it's because she's studying so hard, just hunkered over her books in the library with highlighting marker in hand, furiously taking notes, looking pale and haggard and tired and just generally worn out from working her brain. Thank goodness Spring Break and St. Pat's Day are coming soon.

MARK took a page from BGT's book and set forth his planned workouts. He also had a swim lesson with great results. And he told us about village life. Anyone else think they'd like to have a beer with this guy?

WATERGIRL's chiding me into the pool lasted two days. And then I started eating chocolate. I've fallen prey to the leftover Valentine's Day candy sales. I mean, truly, how can you not buy a whole bag for 88 cents when a single bar goes for 75? So now that I've finished the bag, and wiped the chocolate off my face, I'm headed back to the pool today. Fat floats, right?

She's also complained of a sore left hip, but doesn't want to be told to take some time off, instead preferring some motivating words from the group to get her through. Hmm, motivating words. Ok -- get out there and move! Your hip works for you, not the other way around! Tell it to shut it's pie hole and start working, or you'll get a new one put in there!

It's interesting that yoga seems to make it feel worse. My wife has mentioned the same thing on occassion. Maybe some of the poses you're doing are too aggressive. Can you ask someone to look at your form to make sure you're not hyperextending?

Good job registering for the August tri. I've read about the Danskin series and they sound like fun.

And you're now the 2nd person I know from Seattle. Have you met my friend Dave? Tall guy, pretty wife? Goes to that one coffee shop all the time?

I'm obviously kidding here, but hasn't everyone been asked something like that?

MIKE HALL has joined and wants to incorporate some diversion into his running. That's how I started, too. I could only run so many miles a week, even with good scenery, before the runs became seriously monotonous. And when that happens, it's easy to stop. So welcome to the group.

He's also warned us about challenges and hinted that he'd push us, which had me thinking about banning him right there. But then I thought that PHOENIX and BGT would challenge him right back, which would be worth the price of his admission. So with that in mind, I say, "Bring it on, Mike, bring it on."

SEAN joined and then got sick. But then he committed to taking a group of Boy Scouts camping this weekend, and vowed to put on a wetsuit and jump into the bay. Yep, he's one of us, definitely.

Well, that's the week. Did I miss anyone?

My goal for the day is a self-triathlon, but because of scheduling, I'll have to do it in pieces, with a bike trainer ride this morning (I've taped a few Star Trek episodes to get me through), and a swim and run late this afternoon. At least, that's the plan. I really want to hit some of the goals I'd set for the month, and if I'm successful today, they would be within reach.

Have a great weekend!

2007-02-24 11:06 AM

User image

Expert
Good Morning Team!

Okay, I'm not as sick anymore and since you all have inspired me so much, I went ahead and tried the muscle recruitment interval workout (#2, the long one). I just did the minimum number of intervals and so it took me 2 hours 15 minutes instead of the 2.5 hours. At first I was like thinking it was too easy and annoyed at the long rest periods between sprints, then the pedals started getting harder to pedal, and by the last 2.5 mile interval, I was getting pretty pooped! The last 15 minute cool down was actually a struggle, but Gordy said the whole point to the exercise it the REST periods. That's where you grow your muscles or train them or whatever. I just trust the experts and try to obey. Put in 65 miles! Not a bad little day's workout coming off of the worst sickness I've ever had.

I did a little punching and one little 2.5 mile run yesterday and felt fine. Otherwise the last two days all else I did was a little dancing in my livingroom. Why, you may ask? Well, a third dude is after me. Look up www.antonioFtestolin.com. He's in Madison and is an Italian stone sculptor! And he tangoes. So, I told him he could take me dancing to trance music at Club Inferno in Madison some time, and he's totally up for that! Look up www.clubinferno.com and go to www.difm.com to listen to trance if you aren't familiar with it. I did tell him about Brian the doc in Colorado who is doing a marathon this weekend in New Orleans and needs a couple weeks to rest up before flying me to Denver to see him, and Pat the Ironman who was going to take me to dinner this weekend before the last horrible blizzard hit and grounded us. Antonio just sent me this nakey pic from the waist up so I could take a good gander at his physique (made me weak in the knees, actually), and left a phone message saying he has PERSERVERANCE and is not daunted by the competition! I totally don't get what these guys see in me, but it's rather giving me a big head these days!

As to where I live, well, it's a small village of 1005 people and there are LOTS of rural Amish families and other farming types. We live in the highest elevation in Wisconsin, in Coulee country. Coulees are basically bluffs or big hills that were formed by the glaciers. Perfect biking country and Gordy comes to my area to train for the 7-10 minute hills! So, I may be a decent cyclist by the end of summer with these intervals and the hills right outside my door. Madison is the exciting place to go on weekends, but is about 2 hours from me. Everything worth doing is about 2 hours from me, so no big deal. LaCrosse is 30 minutes or so from me and is a pretty nice sized college town where the Y is. I'm there an awful lot these days. We have really good cheese here and LaCrosse has a brewery, so if you all want to stink like cheese and ale, come on over and we'll party and then tackle those d@#n hills!!
2007-02-24 4:05 PM
in reply to: #701676

User image

Minneapolis
watergirl777 - 2007-02-24 12:14 AM

Good job BGT! Once again, you amaze us in your tenacity. Is water cycle like spinning class underwater? Ive never heard of it? Do you feel good tired though? I like it when I know I have really worked to my max but didnt over do it, so when you finally get to lay in bed at night your body just flops down in exhaustion but not in pain.

Yeah my job bought these water bikes, just 10 of them though cause they cost like 3000 a bike and paid for a trainer to come in from New York to get teachers certifed. The class seems whimpy until you TRY to get out, your legs feel like BRICKS! the water bike is great for those with knee issues.
I think you would really like them. I hope they catch on other places cause you can get all the intensity of a distance run, the thigh workout of a bike ride all the while tricking your body into thinking you are weightless. tommrow i will write my plan for the week, what I know about immerson swimming, about minneapolis and about a charity close to my heart. see you Sudnay!

2007-02-24 8:20 PM

User image

Expert
Hi Guys!

I got my treadmill put together--finally!!! And I did two miles, but they were tough. Maybe because of the 65 mile bike this morning, maybe because my lungs are still congested and there is yellow stuff in my sinuses yet, or maybe because the treadmill is different than the minitrampoline--or all three! But I hope it gets better and easier. Oh well, check that one off the list and get going on it! I felt pretty much in despair this week losing three or four swim practice opportunities and completely unable to do a single thing as far as training goes. I even contemplated calling the indoor March 10 tri off!

BGT-- that swim cycling sounds awesome--I don't know how you can swim so many hours in one day. I would collapse! I wish you were closer--I'd take some swim lessons from you. God knows I need them! But I guess breathing and moving in the water isn't exactly something we've done every day the last 39 or so years. I do know this--a lot of people are completely weirded out by the swim. That Gordy Paulson cyclist fellow said he can't swim well at all and so he applauded us triathletes. The swim he was describing sounded better than what I am able to do currently, and he was totally giving up on it. So, I guess I'll suck it up and proceed and tell myself I have spunk or courage or whatever for even trying to swim.

Yep, I'm trying to psyche myself up because I'm really NOT feeling confident about anything right now. I was going to bring my son with to watch me the first tri. Now I think I'll just sort of sneak in, do my thing and get out of there as fast as possible. Maybe wear dark shades and a wig or something. Just in case there would be someone there that would recognize me and laugh at my beginning efforts
2007-02-25 4:31 AM
in reply to: #702134

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
phoenixrising404 - 2007-02-24 9:20 PM

Yep, I'm trying to psyche myself up because I'm really NOT feeling confident about anything right now. I was going to bring my son with to watch me the first tri. Now I think I'll just sort of sneak in, do my thing and get out of there as fast as possible. Maybe wear dark shades and a wig or something. Just in case there would be someone there that would recognize me and laugh at my beginning efforts

Wait a minute -- YOU'RE not confident? You? "Little Miss I have men fawning all over me"? "Miss I can kick some serious butt b/c I box"? Talk about the whole "I am woman, hear me roar" type personality. I mean, just look at your name!

What day is your indoor tri? And which one is it? I think you need us to cheer you on.

2007-02-25 7:56 AM

User image

Expert
Okay prof, you made me laugh. Actually, I have a terribly low self-esteem as far as my physical self goes. Intellectually, yeah, I know I'm pretty smart--I have four degrees. Spiritually, I'm totally at peace and could die tomorrow without fear, except for my little kids. Emotionally, I'm fairly stable and sane even though I've been through a lot of stuff, none of which is really worth talking about because I survived it--hence my name--a phoenix never dies, but is just reborn from the ashes. But physically--well, I totally don't get the man thing at all, I'm just going with it--and I'm trying to get to a place where I can really feel like an athlete. I was nerd girl, remember, this is all new to me.

My indoor tri is in Whitewater, which is past Madison by about an hour going east, I think. And it is coming right up--March 10. Yikes! See why I'm freaking now? I'm fairly snowed in today, but may endeavor a trip to LaCrosse to swim today, as that is the part I'm most freaked about. Otherwise, if I can't make it out my driveway, I'll have to do what I did last week--put my goggles on and practice breathing in the tub, turning head both ways and moving arms, then get out and stand bent forward and use these pully bands to exercise the lats and other swim muscles while breathing out of the water. Then prone on the bed with ankle weights to practice swim kick. Maybe I get points for creativity?

I really hope you all don't think I'm stuck up! Geesh, sure didn't mean to come across that way! I get zits and have stretch marks and fart just like everyone else! I know, zits at 40--I actually have to use that proactiv stuff, especially with all the sweat from working out! Maybe I'll work on posting a photo, then you'll see I'm not all that
2007-02-25 9:13 PM

User image

Expert
Okay, where is everyone? Are you all snowed in this weekend, too? Has anyone tried the bike workouts yet? I did the first one today, but only three 20 minute intervals, for 34 miles. Would have made the 35 and with yesterday's 65--my first two day century deal. But the phone rang, and distracted me.......The first one is difficult at first; feels like you are pedalling through mud. Then it gets a lot easier. Hope it is growing muscle or increasing power. The dude Gordy had demonstrating was TOTALLY amazing with his muscular legs. He was in the Cybex area just in front of me before the meeting, and he was doing 190 pounds with his quads! So, if we all do these intervals, pretty soon maybe we'll be amazing like that!

I decided to just do an hour walk/run on the treadmill and not worry about how much was actual running for now. Just trying to do intervals and go for more endurance. My lungs are not clear yet, and it was a struggle, but I did 66 minutes. I'm not saying how little the mileage was. It will improve, eventually. Then I ate homemade vegetable beef soup and grapefruit. I really wanted the lava cake, but there wasn't any in the house

La Fenice is back (the Phoenix) and starting to get strong again after nearly dying. Jose, are your ribs healed yet? Sean, are you recovering from the flu? BGT--any fantastically exciting news for us yet?? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. You'll make a totally cool mom How are our injuries doing? Watergirl, I hope your hip muscles are healing and Jeng's leg and Mark's heel. Not to mention Prof's ankle. Hmmm, maybe we're ALL a bit under the weather in one way or another! Do you think group prayer would help? Okay, God bless all us misfit triathletes and help us to be healthy and injury free--Amen. Of course, Mark lives with Satan.........the poor girl. I bet she's actually really sweet!
2007-02-26 7:49 AM

User image

Regular
Hi all.Good job on your training. I just completed a winter race series here in Rochester, NY. Saturday's 10K was 15 degrees at the start. the first 5K with a tail wind which means...head wind for the last 5K. yay!
Since this is a series rankings were kept. I was dead last in my age group, and have never been happier! It's so not about the times, places, rankings...It's about us being out there doing something. actually living life. and most importantly we are being positive role models for the next generation.

“Never mind what others do; do better than yourself, beat your own record from day to day, and you are a success.”
- Wiliam J.H. Boetcker
2007-02-26 10:20 AM
in reply to: #702919

User image

Brandon, FL.
Hi Everyone ! Back from the weekend with the scouts and my first actual bay swim in a wetsuit. We did some canoeing and hiking and it was a blast. We saw some manatees, dolphins, and sting rays. I was able to work in a 2 mile run and about an hour of swimming. I wasn't quite sure what to expect with the wetsuit but it was much better than I thought.

At one point, I had a manatee come to within about 5 feet of me while I was swimming. The things are freaking huge ! I would like to think that I was sharing a magical moment with one of gods creatures and a fellow swimmer, but to be honest, I think it may have wanted to mate with me... It swam along with me for a little bit and then peeled off once it figured out I wasn't one of it's kind. Still, once I got over the initial shock of it (did I mention that they are freaking huge ?!!) it was a pretty cool experience.

I am feeling much better now and the lungs are clearing up nicely so I'm back to my training this week. I have To Shin Do tonight but I really want to get to the Bicycling challenge. I'll probably do that tomorrow night.

You are all amazing and just reading your posts alternately puts me in stitches and pumps me up to train harder. I hope you all have a great week and keep up the good work.

Sean
2007-02-26 12:47 PM

User image

Expert
Mike--loved what you wrote about finishing last and being happy about it! That may be me in about 12 days--but at least I will be able to say I did it. Great attitude!!

Sean--so the manattee wanted to mate with you, huh? It does sound like a magical moment! Putting it on my list of stuff to do before I die! (the swimming with one, not the mating with one). What is To Shin Do? I'm gonna have to google it now. How did the wetsuit feel? I sooo wish we could wear them indoors in the pool!!! They are supposed to help you be really buoyant.

We got 2.5 FEET of snow here in Wisconsin! Got my shoveling workout this morning

2007-02-26 1:48 PM
in reply to: #702282

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
phoenixrising404 - 2007-02-25 8:56 AM

My indoor tri is in Whitewater, which is past Madison by about an hour going east, I think. And it is coming right up--March 10. Yikes! See why I'm freaking now? I'm fairly snowed in today, but may endeavor a trip to LaCrosse to swim today, as that is the part I'm most freaked about. Otherwise, if I can't make it out my driveway, I'll have to do what I did last week--put my goggles on and practice breathing in the tub, turning head both ways and moving arms, then get out and stand bent forward and use these pully bands to exercise the lats and other swim muscles while breathing out of the water. Then prone on the bed with ankle weights to practice swim kick. Maybe I get points for creativity?

Not sure about points for creativity. But it would probably get you an all-expense paid vacation (observation period) at a local B&B (psychiatric facility). I'd keep the blinds drawn.

I looked at your race, and wow, those are some big age brackets! Usually you don't see a 10-year spread. But let's look at the race itself --

16 lengths in the pool with a 1/2 hour cutoff (which you can do)
5 miles on the stationary bike (which you can do)
2 miles on the treadmill (which you can do)

This race is so achievable for you! And don't forget the bragging rights that go with it -- not only to family and friends, and us, but to strangers who see you about town wearing your race shirt. And you get a goodie bag, and my favorite part -- post-race cookies -- jeez, I'm tempted to get into the car for a roadtrip!

So tell me again, why are you freaking? I think you're going to kick red bike.*

* I don't know why you can't use the word " red bike " in this forum. And for those of you reading this, no, I did not type the words "red bike". The computer just inserts it. For those of you who are just so very uncertain of what I'm saying, it's a 3-letter word, beginning with A, and then an S, and then another S. These same letters are in the word molASSes, which seems to work just fine when you type it. And if you are still unclear to what I'm referring, it's the part of my body which will be much bigger tomorrow morning after I eat the 4 (yes, 4) boxes of Girl Scout cookies that I bought this afternoon.
2007-02-26 1:58 PM
in reply to: #702919

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
mike hall - 2007-02-26 8:49 AM

Hi all.Good job on your training. I just completed a winter race series here in Rochester, NY. Saturday's 10K was 15 degrees at the start. the first 5K with a tail wind which means...head wind for the last 5K. yay!
Since this is a series rankings were kept. I was dead last in my age group, and have never been happier! It's so not about the times, places, rankings...It's about us being out there doing something. actually living life. and most importantly we are being positive role models for the next generation.

“Never mind what others do; do better than yourself, beat your own record from day to day, and you are a success.”
- Wiliam J.H. Boetcker

Good job on your race series. People never believe me, but when I'm asked why I like to run outside, even if it's sometimes in the rain, or in the cold, or even on a hot day, I just say something along the lines of it's good to be out. Some days the elements are invigorating, and the endorphins released from a good effort beat a G&T anyday.

And a windburned face looks more young and alive than a tan.
2007-02-26 2:12 PM
in reply to: #703163

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Sp3c0ps27 - 2007-02-26 11:20 AM

At one point, I had a manatee come to within about 5 feet of me while I was swimming. The things are freaking huge ! I would like to think that I was sharing a magical moment with one of gods creatures and a fellow swimmer, but to be honest, I think it may have wanted to mate with me...

Sean

I would have been thinking he was hungry. That's all I need, to get eaten by a sea cow in the middle of the lake with no witnesses. I can imagine the tombstone:

Here lies the Prof
Who went swimming in the bay
Met a hungry seacow
Who ate him instead of hay.

(Can you tell I'm giving exams today? Not a lot to do on the agenda if you have time to write bad poetry.)

How'd you like the wetsuit? I was surprised how it affected my swim, not so much with the stroke, but the buoyancy. It takes such little effort to just bob up and down in the water. Especially compared to the grueling struggle to put it on and zip up.

2007-02-26 2:43 PM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
So with a new month on the horizon, I'm wondering how big a number our combined distances would be. Anyone want to get in on this action? See how far we can go as a team in a month?

At the end of the week, tell us what you did, and I'll keep a running tally. Think we can hit a combined 1,000 miles biking? 200 miles running? 30 miles swimming? Or do you think the totals would be more or less? Or should we set goal distances and go for it? And for you non-Americans, I'll convert your metric distances to real numbers. (What's a little isolationist pride among friends?)

I'm curious what we could do knowing we are part of a collective effort.

As for me, today was a rest day, and it felt great. Thanks for asking. I never did get my weekend mini-tri done, but with spring break approaching, hopefully I'll do it soon. I am so looking forward to some time off.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  

of 72