BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 42

2007-06-25 8:13 AM
in reply to: #804244

User image

Subject: RE: triOK's Group - CLOSED

Great job this weekend everyone!  I am glad to hear that everyone is doing well!  Be sure that you are drinking plenty of water, getting lots of sleep, and recovering appropriately!

So... LT test... here's how you do it:  Run for 10 minutes at a comfortable pace to get warmed up.  At the 10-min mark, start your HRM.  Slowly increase your speed every minute for 20 minutes.  After the 20 minutes is up, you should be all out sprinting.  When you are done, you should have no energy left at all.  It should be a 100% effort.

If done correctly, your average heart rate for that 20 minutes should be fairly close to your lactate threshold (or the point at which your body produces lactic acid).  Take your LT (lactate threshold) and put it in the spreadsheet I have attached to this post.  It will automatically calculate all of your training zones.  You should be doing the majority of your workouts in Zone 2.

Hope this helps!

Attachments
----------------
HR Zones.xls (17KB - 70 downloads)

2007-06-25 10:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
How fast should the beginning run be? You said "start out running", but how fast?
2007-06-25 1:11 PM
in reply to: #858699

User image

grnidone - 2007-06-25 10:45 AM How fast should the beginning run be? You said "start out running", but how fast?

This should be at an easy pace, but fast enough to break a sweat.  Remember that you are going to be increasing your speed from this starting point, so it shouldn't be too fast.  Just enough to get warmed up.

2007-06-25 1:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
I'm reading this worksheet, and ...

It appears that Zone 1 for running means that your low percentage is 66% and your high percentage is 84.7 percent.

Then I look at Factor Zone 5++ and I see low end at 106% and high end at 110.7%.

1. Am I reading this correctly?
2.Where do these numbers come from? How were they figured?
3. I don't understand how you can go above 100% of your heart rate. Your heart rate only goes to a certain point...doesn't it?
2007-06-25 1:40 PM
in reply to: #859088

User image

Veteran
Virginia
I think I can answer your 3rd question.  LT(Lactate Threshold) is different than max HR.  LT is the point when your body can't handle the amount of lactate your muscles are producing any more.  So, that's why you can go over 100% of your LT.
2007-06-25 11:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX

Hey everyone! Just wanted to write to let you all know I made it to Texas safe and sound...I'm looking forward to getting back to my workout schedule.

I hope everyone else is doing well (I have extremely limited internet access right now, so I haven't caught up on the thread) and I wanted to wish everyone with races coming up good luck! Talk to you all soon!

2007-06-26 4:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
56 laps @ 25 yards = 1400 yards. 39 minutes. Lactic acid be damned. I wanted to see if I could swim the entire way, no breaks. I did it. I feel good about it.

My shoulders were numb when I got out of the pool, and I'm sore as hell today. But I did it.

And I couldn't swim in January.
2007-06-26 6:31 AM
in reply to: #860170

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

grnidone - 2007-06-26 5:19 AM 56 laps @ 25 yards = 1400 yards. 39 minutes. Lactic acid be damned. I wanted to see if I could swim the entire way, no breaks. I did it. I feel good about it. My shoulders were numb when I got out of the pool, and I'm sore as hell today. But I did it. And I couldn't swim in January.

That's fantastic!  It's cool to see such a big improvement over time like that!  Cool

2007-06-26 8:02 AM
in reply to: #859120

User image

erjellum - 2007-06-25 1:40 PM I think I can answer your 3rd question.  LT(Lactate Threshold) is different than max HR.  LT is the point when your body can't handle the amount of lactate your muscles are producing any more.  So, that's why you can go over 100% of your LT.

You are absolutely right, expect for LT is the point where your body begins to PRODUCE lactic acid.  You need to keep your HR below that in order to keep your muscles from fatiguing.

Edited by triOK 2007-06-26 8:03 AM
2007-06-26 8:04 AM
in reply to: #859088

User image

grnidone - 2007-06-25 1:30 PM I'm reading this worksheet, and ... It appears that Zone 1 for running means that your low percentage is 66% and your high percentage is 84.7 percent. Then I look at Factor Zone 5++ and I see low end at 106% and high end at 110.7%. 1. Am I reading this correctly? 2.Where do these numbers come from? How were they figured? 3. I don't understand how you can go above 100% of your heart rate. Your heart rate only goes to a certain point...doesn't it?

The numbers were figured by Mike Ricci...  the BT coach.  Personally, if he says something, I take it as law...

2007-06-26 8:13 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Robyn, thanks for posting that.  I'm finally up to the point where I can even do this test.  I'm planning on it over the next couple of weeks so that I can finally get rid of that 220 garbage. Undecided

2007-06-26 8:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
Another question:

I think I am going to bite the bullet and ship my bicycle to the race. Does anyone have recommendations on hard sided bicycle cases?
2007-06-26 8:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
Another question:

Do you have to haul your crap with you when you're riding hte bike? Or do you cycle in a circle and come back to put your bicycle in the same spot?

I'm looking at the Joe and Jane bag -- which I WANT -- and it says it is "The bag is sized and designed ergonomically so that it is comfortable on the bike."
2007-06-26 8:49 AM
in reply to: #860392

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

grnidone - 2007-06-26 9:42 AM Another question: Do you have to haul your crap with you when you're riding hte bike? Or do you cycle in a circle and come back to put your bicycle in the same spot? I'm looking at the Joe and Jane bag -- which I WANT -- and it says it is "The bag is sized and designed ergonomically so that it is comfortable on the bike."

Here's a good answer - both!

For training, it depends - usually I cycle out and back, so I only take my water bottle and a patch kit with me.  However, if your riding to work, you're probably carrying your stuff.

For a race, you always go back to the same spot.

I believe the design of this bag they're referring to is for two reasons - going to work as I mentioned, but also at a race when you ride from your car to the transition area.  Makes it easy to get your stuff to where it needs to be at the race.  Sometimes you may have quite a walk or ride, so this bag lets you keep it all together.

Oh, and by the way, my red one came in the mail last week!  It is really nice with plenty of room.  Definitely a great starter bag - as it's designed for.  The inside is large, but maybe not quite as many sections as their more expensive one.  Plenty of smaller pockets inside and out to keep your small stuff organized, which is key for me!

2007-06-26 8:55 AM
in reply to: #860403

User image

During the race you won't have to carry your run gear on your bike - at least I have never heard of that! But keep in mind, some Tri's have seperate transition areas... so after the swim in T1 you grab your bike, and bike back to a different T2 location which you would have already setup with your run gear.

Rob
2007-06-26 9:45 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Thanks Rob - I didn't know that about different transition areas!

2007-06-26 11:04 AM

User image

Yeah, I have heard of races that have a different T2, but I have never seen one.  In that case though, you don't carry your stuff with you... you should set up your transititions before the races starts.

While training though, I just have a saddle bag under my seat where I carry an extra tube and some CO2.  That's all I bring with me (except for nutrition, of course).

2007-06-26 2:38 PM
in reply to: #858314

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma
Okay, here is my newb question of the day. For someone who just came off the couch in April, I know currently I am not worrying about pushing my LT threshold a whole lot, but instead am just trying to build a base. I am using the Karvonen method currently on HR zones. So if most of the time is in T2, is there a time this season I should even be worrying about being out of T2, if so when? And what zone should I be in for my LSD bike and run?
2007-06-26 4:04 PM
in reply to: #861300

User image

Kazho - 2007-06-26 2:38 PM Okay, here is my newb question of the day. For someone who just came off the couch in April, I know currently I am not worrying about pushing my LT threshold a whole lot, but instead am just trying to build a base. I am using the Karvonen method currently on HR zones. So if most of the time is in T2, is there a time this season I should even be worrying about being out of T2, if so when? And what zone should I be in for my LSD bike and run?

That is exactly what the LT thing is all about.  You need to try to stay in Z2 (or T2) as much as possible for your maintenance and LSD training.  After your base is established, you can add some tempo work that will increase your speed and further increase your endurance.  Truly, you should only do this once you have a good endurance base to build from.

2007-06-26 5:08 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Happy Birthday Robyn!
2007-06-26 5:18 PM
in reply to: #861594

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma

Ooo, birthday spankings! *goes to look for her paddle*

Happy Birthday!

2007-06-27 8:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Waco, Texas
Am I too late to get in on the birthday beatings...oh, greetings! Happy birthday!!
Vanessa
2007-06-27 9:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Waco, Texas
Confession time. I had a brain dead experience, this weekend. Let me start by saying, I usually pack for a race by laying out my transition area. Then, I am sure not to forget to pack something .... something critical, like a bike helmet, which I didn't pack this very weekend, b/c I didn't lay out my area prior to putting it into my gear bag ... well crap. I discover this the morning of the race, as I am gathering my stuff to place in the transition area. Instead of scrapping the whole thing and becoming a spousal unit fan/sports photographer, I decide it would be a good time to practice OWS, b/c as a creature of land, let's face it, I suck in the water...even on a good day. It was a short distance (500 m), and I can turn a 500 out in the pool in 8-12 minutes, depending on how strong and how fast I am feeling. Let me add that I LEARNED to swim in 2001, before that...nada, purely a slouch-type...er, comfort seeker, if you will. Now, the following happens to me EVERY SINGLE TIME I have gotten into a race - whether it involves a pool swim or an open water swim....I FREAK OUT (and not in the way of the old disco song of the same name, either) and can't catch my breath and, of course, then I inhale some water and I end up in some horrible, non-swimming combo of attempts at different strokes which must appear like drowning thus all of the life guards on kayaks will ask me if I need to be sagged out of the water. My mind will scream "YES, FOR THE LOVE OF MURGATROY, SAG ME OUT". My mouth, on the other hand, will say "No, I just caught a mouth full of water and inhaled it, so I am a little freaked (which is usually the truth), but may I catch my breath while holding on to your kayak, kind sir/madam?" I will hate the swim and hate myself for signing up for this confounded sport and swear (like an alcoholic, I might add) that I will NEVER DO IT AGAIN. Of course, once I come up out of the water, in this case 22 fraking minutes later, I feel like I have accomplished something and ... I will go and sign up for another race. Good God, do I need therapy or what? Does anyone have any ideas about how to really swim in a race? Seriously, before I honestly scrap the sport on a personal level, any advice, common experience, success in overcoming this "momentary insanity"?...eh, maybe I am a better sports photographer.....
Signed,
Land-lover Vanessa
2007-06-27 10:15 AM
in reply to: #862488

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma

I wish I could help you, but one, I am a land lubber  myself, and two, I have not even done a tri yet. My fear is that I will go through exactly what you go through. The fact that you get through it and are not DNF because of the water is good though! Regardless of the fears, I think it is worth the feeling at the end to say, "I have done it!" Sometimes it is a better feeling to beat back a fear than even crossing the finish line I would think.

2007-06-27 10:20 AM
in reply to: #862488

User image

First of all, way to go for getting in the water knowing you weren't going to bike or run. I had a similar experience early this month with a flat so I know the feeling all too well. A lot of people would just skip it altogether.

As far as freaking out in the water goes.. Do you have the same type of problems in training? Are you training in a pool only? If at all possible, try to get some open water swims in. That won't necessarily help with the excitment and crowds of a race start, but will help with getting comfortable in water with no walls or lines on the bottom.

If open water swims are hard to come by, try to get to the race early and jump in the water to acclimate. I like to get my face in the water, get some water in the wetsuit, and swim a few strokes. This makes all the difference for me.. Good luck - don't give up, you're way ahead of most!

Rob

Edited by rperissi 2007-06-27 10:21 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 42