BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PirateGirl's group - CLOSED - Pirate ship has sailed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2008-06-25 9:28 AM
in reply to: #1488675

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-06-25 5:23 PM
in reply to: #1351583

Master
Subject: RE: PirateGirl's group - CLOSED - Pirate ship has sailed!

Elizabeth - glad your hip is better.  Can you try a bike fitting to adjust things and allow you to ride without pain? 

I appreciate taking the time and money for a fitting - especially after seeing one rider at my tri, in full aero, weaving down the road, her hips waggling so much as she reached on each stroke that she couldn't bike straight.  She was faster than me but not nearly so good looking

2008-06-25 5:34 PM
in reply to: #1488121

Master

Big Mama - I love your attitude, can I have some? 

I have 14 weeks before my next tri.  Same sprint length (400y/11m/5k).  I might do a 5K in 8 weeks but otherwise have no races on the schedule (besides Sunday's 5K).  I'm on travel 4 weeks in July when I'll have ocean access ~2 weeks (week 1 and 3).  I might rent a bike a few days but really will have my shoes to run.

I NEED A PLAN to keep training!  My couch to sprint plan was great to get me here, but now I'm adrift.  Since my tri last Saturday I've only one 30 minute run.  ARGH!  Without a plan I'm doing nothing!  There must be 5K (or longer?) training plans I could follow for the next 6 weeks until I'm back to my bike and pool?  I can throw in a few ocean swims when I have access.  But even when I get back, what plan to follow then?  ARGH!  starting from the couch is soo much easier :P

2008-06-27 9:13 AM
in reply to: #1490376

Kansas
movingsouth - 2008-06-25 5:34 PM

I NEED A PLAN to keep training!  My couch to sprint plan was great to get me here, but now I'm adrift.  Since my tri last Saturday I've only one 30 minute run.  ARGH!  Without a plan I'm doing nothing!  There must be 5K (or longer?) training plans I could follow for the next 6 weeks until I'm back to my bike and pool?  I can throw in a few ocean swims when I have access.  But even when I get back, what plan to follow then?  ARGH!  starting from the couch is soo much easier :P

Check out the plans here on BT. I found one that I tweeked a little bit for me and it's been great. I seem to fall of the wagon if I don't have something on my calendar telling me what to do so I know what you mean about "being adrift". And I'm good at it, too! 
2008-06-27 9:48 AM
in reply to: #1490376

Elite
Tucson, AZ
movingsouth - 2008-06-25 2:34 PM

What does your event calendar look like? Do you have races that you'd like to do really well in? Those are your "A" races. Races used as tune-ups, fun, etc, are "B" and "C" races. Once we get a look at those we can help ya pick some plans here on BT like Big Mama suggested.

2008-06-28 10:48 AM

Master

Ok, putting it that way--

Race A is the sprint tri on Sept 27.  But I won't have bike until August 6 and swim will be hit-n-miss until then.

Race B is the probable Aug 23 5K trail run. 

I feel like I want a 3-5 times a week 5K running plan until Aug 6 (I might sometimes add a swim).  And then starting Aug 6 I need a 7-8 week sprint tri plan that accounts for some base level fitness.

2008-06-28 9:42 PM
in reply to: #1496158

Elite
Tucson, AZ
movingsouth - 2008-06-28 7:48 AM

Ok, putting it that way--

Race A is the sprint tri on Sept 27.  But I won't have bike until August 6 and swim will be hit-n-miss until then.

Race B is the probable Aug 23 5K trail run. 

I feel like I want a 3-5 times a week 5K running plan until Aug 6 (I might sometimes add a swim).  And then starting Aug 6 I need a 7-8 week sprint tri plan that accounts for some base level fitness.

So there are 12 weeks until your sprint (assuming starting on 7/7). You could follow the latter 12 weeks of the 16 week run-focused Sprint plan: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=38

It has 2 swims, 2 bikes, and 3 runs per week. You'd be jumping in with Month 2 and skipping Month 1. The running of the plan should help with the 5K, and you can do the swims when you can fit them in and the bike once you get the bike.

2008-06-28 10:51 PM

Master
Wisteria Lane
HI Everyone! I have been so wrapped up in my weight loss stuff I haven't checked in here. Sorry. Glad to get caught up and see that everyone is doing well! :>)
2008-06-29 11:19 PM
in reply to: #1496785

Master
PirateGirl - 2008-06-28 7:42 PM

So there are 12 weeks until your sprint (assuming starting on 7/7). You could follow the latter 12 weeks of the 16 week run-focused Sprint plan: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=38

It has 2 swims, 2 bikes, and 3 runs per week. You'd be jumping in with Month 2 and skipping Month 1. The running of the plan should help with the 5K, and you can do the swims when you can fit them in and the bike once you get the bike.

Ah, makes sense.  Except that I feel the runs for week 4/5 of that plan are "beneath" me (ahem, *IF* I get out there and train again soon!).  But this offers me some good guidance/thoughts.  I think I need to sit down with a few possible plans and meld them into a plan that works for me.  I do like the idea of grabbing the later weeks of a run-based sprint plan for my training; I just need to tweak the workouts a little and then STICK TO EM!

now, anyone able to make time for me to make a plan?  I also need time to shop for a swim suit (or two) for Greece.  How DOES one shop for suits with kids?  In the meantime I think I'll run every other day 20-40 minutes.  At least it's a starting point!  Soon the kids will be with Gramma and I can think then if not before!

My daughter asked me one afternoon last week to go ride the trainer in the garage, "So I can watch Rainbowfish mama." That one day pre-tri of "special video time" made an impact!  I might do it Monday as I haven't been on the bike since the tri.

I did have a 5K race this morning.  Race, ha!  My lack of training recently meant my "race pace" was simply my training pace.  Ah well.  This 5K WAS really a 5K, not 4.25K so that was a bonus.  I am wondering if I want to add some speed workouts into my running training or just need to put in more time; certainly my recent butt-sitting didn't help today's race.  Would be nice to break the 10min pace barrier.  I try not to think of 6minute miles of youth.  Where do those 4 minutes go?

2008-06-30 10:08 AM

Kansas
Well, I'm doing great on my bike. And swimming is good, too. But, I am struggling with the running. I have been helping this one gal to do his first tri and it's been fun for sure. But, when we run together she runs a totally different pace than I do and it seems like I have been having more pain in my knee and foot since I started running with her. Would that make a difference like that? I kind of feel stupid asking that question actually. Feel like it's a question like "Will my kid get more nosebleeds if we move into a two-story house and air is thinner on the second floor?" All I'm doing with this gal is she's making me run faster. She's been running a long time and definitely has that part down.  Should I keep running with her or should I go back to running by myself? I obviously won't be going as fast. I did have the physical therapist video my running and I have a good stride and my foot lands good except for some weakness on my right side which causes my hip to collapse a little when my rt. foot hits. What do you guys think?
2008-06-30 12:41 PM
in reply to: #1498626

2008-06-30 12:43 PM

2008-06-30 8:41 PM

Modesto, California

Back from vacation! Just before I left I had my stroke video taped and reviewed by my masters coach, what a great experience, everything I felt I was doing right was looking terrible on the video. All I can say is I have allot of work to do on my freestyle.

My vacation  this past week was aweful, Vegas has changed, everything is too expensive now. I spent a whole week visiting my Sister and Mother during the 106-108 weather. I booked on Travelocity at the Flamingo, I was soo looking forward to it because of the new rooms and huge pool. When we checked in they overbooked, apologized and said that we had offered you a free upgrade, however it is not available so can only have our standard room(these were worse than any motel I have ever stayed in). So it only got worse, the following were not included in our room and charged extra,mini fridge,microwave,coffee maker,fitness room. My $125 a night room had just become a $175 a night, add in meals and cab fares and gratuities and it brought each days total to $325 . The pool was soo crowded you could not get a chair,what an awful week it was.

Today was the pinnacle, I was almost killed by a driver that broadsided my truck after running a redlight, I managed to walk away, she did also, however my new truck is totaled! This truck replaced my new truck that was stolen 10 months ago. I think she was on her cellphone. Good news is my season is not over, bad news is Im taking a week to rest until I get back into a vehicle and routine.

This is the van that hit me!

My truck!

Edited by nevergivin 2008-06-30 9:00 PM
2008-06-30 9:31 PM

Master

Egads!  What a vacation!  Swim, hotel, truck.  Oh wait, there's your trouble in threes, you should be golden for a while now! 

Glad you weren't hurt!  Sounds like about the same accident that totaled my BIL's truck acouple months ago.  He too walked away, whew.

2008-07-01 5:20 PM
in reply to: #1500565

Elite
Tucson, AZ
nevergivin - 2008-06-30 5:41 PM

Good news is my season is not over, bad news is Im taking a week to rest until I get back into a vehicle and routine.

Oh man! VERY good news you weren't injured! Sorry about your truck.

I'm with ya on the Vegas thing. Not my kind of place. Gimme a natural park anyday!

2008-07-02 10:50 PM

Master

Bill, did you see the running option in the challenge forums?  Your mileage goals are about the level the others are shooting for so might be a good place for you to get some inspiration.

I did a 9.4 minute mile pace for 15 mins tonight.  Wonderful to be under 10 minute miles, need to go a bit longer.  I think I can, was on a schedule tonight though, needing to get home to put DD to bed; it was a squeezed in run between bath/bed.  I wanted to go before I talked myself out of it, even if it was short.

2008-07-04 12:39 AM
in reply to: #1500565

Master
Wisteria Lane
nevergivin - 2008-06-30 7:41 PM

Back from vacation! Just before I left I had my stroke video taped and reviewed by my masters coach, what a great experience, everything I felt I was doing right was looking terrible on the video. All I can say is I have allot of work to do on my freestyle.

My vacation this past week was aweful, Vegas has changed, everything is too expensive now. I spent a whole week visiting my Sister and Mother during the 106-108 weather. I booked on Travelocity at the Flamingo, I was soo looking forward to it because of the new rooms and huge pool. When we checked in they overbooked, apologized and said that we had offered you a free upgrade, however it is not available so can only have our standard room(these were worse than any motel I have ever stayed in). So it only got worse, the following were not included in our room and charged extra,mini fridge,microwave,coffee maker,fitness room. My $125 a night room had just become a $175 a night, add in meals and cab fares and gratuities and it brought each days total to $325 . The pool was soo crowded you could not get a chair,what an awful week it was.

Today was the pinnacle, I was almost killed by a driver that broadsided my truck after running a redlight, I managed to walk away, she did also, however my new truck is totaled! This truck replaced my new truck that was stolen 10 months ago. I think she was on her cellphone. Good news is my season is not over, bad news is Im taking a week to rest until I get back into a vehicle and routine.

This is the van that hit me!

My truck!

Oh my gosh!! I am so glad you are ok!!! Sorry about your truck. :<(
2008-07-24 10:03 AM

Kansas
I've got two weeks before my second triathlon of my life. I feel like I've trained better this time around and I'm feeling stronger (except my running isn't any faster...I just can run longer). I have been really tired this past week and getting a tad grumpy. I'm wondering if it's time to taper or maybe take a day or two totally off and do no workouts at all. Seems like I read somewhere that if you are getting grumpy you may need to take a day off, rest your body. What do you guys think?
2008-07-24 2:53 PM
in reply to: #1555319

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Big Mama - 2008-07-24 7:03 AM I've got two weeks before my second triathlon of my life. I feel like I've trained better this time around and I'm feeling stronger (except my running isn't any faster...I just can run longer). I have been really tired this past week and getting a tad grumpy. I'm wondering if it's time to taper or maybe take a day or two totally off and do no workouts at all. Seems like I read somewhere that if you are getting grumpy you may need to take a day off, rest your body. What do you guys think?

Yep, if you're dragging and really tired, take a day off completely and get lots of rest. Meaning don't take the day off training and then run around all day cleaning, shopping, etc. Your body will thank you for it!

The next 2 weeks will fly by!

2008-07-28 12:02 PM

2008-07-30 12:13 PM
in reply to: #1564458

Kansas
wgraves7582 - 2008-07-28 12:02 PM

Howdy everyone.  Just spent 2 weeks out of the office traveling and vacation.  Spent some fun time in Colorado mountain biking (and working) and then spent a week in Acadia National Park.  Beatiful area of the world that is for sure!

Hope everyone is doing good!

Noticed you were in Frisco riding on the trail. We were there three days before you the weekend before for the Triple Bypass (ride over Squaw, Loveland and Vail passes in one day!) I could've stayed there forever!!

2008-07-31 4:43 PM
in reply to: #1570182

2008-08-03 4:36 PM

Kansas
Well, I'm in taper mode and have my second tri this coming Saturday. Got a lot of great help on my swimming at a masters group this past week and so I'm feeling much better about that. Not sure how the running is going to go, but I'll just do the best I can. Today the heat index is 110 and we are supposed to have more of this heat through the week. Supposedly "cooler" temps are coming by the weekend. I hope so. Any good ideas for handling really bad heat and humidity if it doesn't cool down? We start at 7:30 swimming in a pool.
2008-08-05 7:26 AM

2008-08-06 10:04 PM
in reply to: #1488791

Master
I'm back from my 4 week adventure.  I did s/b/r some, need to update my logs... but now need to s/b/r in earnest, tri in 8 weeks!  first sleep, JETLAG!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PirateGirl's group - CLOSED - Pirate ship has sailed! Rss Feed  

of 15