BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RunnerX's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2009-09-15 5:26 AM
in reply to: #2401957

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: RunnerX's Group - CLOSED

Finished my first tri on Sunday with the Nation's Triathlon.  I didn't do as well as I hoped, but that's to be expected with my limited training.  I finished in 3:23:38 and 3109 out of 3939.  I was really hoping to finish right at 3:00, but missed it and looking at my times, I know where I could do better.

I'll try to do a good race report, but here's a short breakdown:

1. I forgot to eat breakfast!  I'm standing in the swim pen and I'm like - wow - I should have had a bagel and a banana.
  2. I have to learn how to eat properly on the bike and the run.  I undereat on the bike because I'm uncomfortable taking my hands off the bars, and I overeat on the run and feel full and "funny".
  3. I almost quit the swim.  Not panic, but just a feeling of impending failure.  I actually looked around for a kayak but I talked myself out of it.  And the swim is LONELY.  Even being smacked around by others I felt so isolated, which is weird because I train almost exclusively by myself early in the morning.
  4. I was so tired at the end of the swim that it felt like the last 100 meters took forever.
  5. My goggles fogged and were useless - googled and solutions ready to be tried (spit or dish soap)
  6. Destination races are a lot of work.  I should have take an extra day off and taken a nap.

Off to figure out race reports.

2009-09-18 2:35 AM
in reply to: #2406585

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Hi Bruce the triathlete

Well done mate, how does it feel to beat 830 people?   I now know to add "eat breakfast" to my check-list :-)  I've never done an event as long as this and I know fixing my nutrition is something I'll have to work on - I reckon you know where you went wrong and that's half the battle.  Our bike coach sent us a bit about how to eat on the bike which I must look at.  I've never heard anyone describe the swim as "lonely" before, sounds like it was an ordeal - it's a long way and harder still if your psyche's a bit off so major respect for getting through it.  Now it's a week later, and you look back on it, was it a great experience and are you going to do some more?

Daisy
2009-09-18 5:38 AM
in reply to: #1856606

Extreme Veteran
I'm planning another Oly for next year - this will be a local race.  Now I'll know what to expect and hopefully will train better for it and have a better base.

The swim was just weird - I knew I wouldn't panic because I like the water, but I wasn't prepared for such a long ordeal.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RunnerX's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 14