of 23

2009-05-03 8:04 AM
in reply to: #2126277

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Subject: RE: FancyPants Group- CLOSED
scubagrrl - 2009-05-03 7:44 AM

Scout great to see you are still checking in.  How are things going for you?  Any races on the forecast.

Yep.  First tri is in two weeks from today.  I'm a little bummed though because it's raining today and I was going to kick off a week of climbing on my bike.  The bike course is supposed to be very hilly.  I have a few hills around me that are nice and long, so I was planning to spend some quality time today going up and down that hill....maybe the weather will clear later today...

BTW, don't recall if I'd mentioned it or not, but last saturday I ran a 1/2 as a training run, just to see where I was running wise.  It let me set a goal time for my first 1/2 race in September, but like you say, I have some tri's to worry about first!

Matt

2009-05-04 12:20 PM
in reply to: #2126292

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
scout21 - 2009-05-03 9:04 AM
scubagrrl - 2009-05-03 7:44 AM

Scout great to see you are still checking in.  How are things going for you?  Any races on the forecast.

Yep.  First tri is in two weeks from today.  I'm a little bummed though because it's raining today and I was going to kick off a week of climbing on my bike.  The bike course is supposed to be very hilly.  I have a few hills around me that are nice and long, so I was planning to spend some quality time today going up and down that hill....maybe the weather will clear later today...

BTW, don't recall if I'd mentioned it or not, but last saturday I ran a 1/2 as a training run, just to see where I was running wise.  It let me set a goal time for my first 1/2 race in September, but like you say, I have some tri's to worry about first!

Matt

Hope the weather cleared up for you and you were able to get out and ride.  
2009-05-04 2:14 PM
in reply to: #1861022

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Ginny, how is your calf?

The mini tri was fun to watch. Mike's older sister did it and she had a good time. About half the people were total beginners, the other half were super good veterans that were trying out new bikes or equipment, practicing transitions, or worse- practicing drafting. Because this was a club sponsored, non-USAT event, we had some real a-holes who were drafting ON PURPOSE. Mike and I were out on the bike course and watched those guys pass us twice- on a traffic filled road- and both times they almost caused an accident.

I had a hard time watching others race when I knew I would not be racing this year. But it was good to get that over with. I saw lots of tri club pals, most of whom did not know our news, and everyone reacted hilariously. Tell a tri buddy you can't race, especially when they know you've been training all winter, and you get instant sympathy. Throw in that new bike, and people come close to tears. Then tell them you are pregnant, and hilarity ensues- they just don't know how to react. It is totally a femal triathlete's worst nightmare. The best reaction, though, was from a guy who I always see at open water swim. I told him I still planned on doing those workouts, and that I might shame some of the hardcore dudes by passing them with my huge pregnant belly, and he threatened to yell "watch out for the whale!". Then he got really scared and did not relax until I started laughing.

Matt, hope you got your hill work in. We actually have to leave our area to find hills. SAD. But, lots of people like to come here to race- flat as a sheet of paper.
2009-05-04 3:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
Sounds like you had a good time this weekend.

The calf is almost fine, still has some tightness in it.  But I'm walking normally now etc.  (Even mowed the grass yesterday)  I do have an appointment tomorrow with my chiropractor for just a normal adjustment and I'm going to mention it to him.  He has physical therapist etc on staff and does some sports injury things, so I'm hoping I might be able to get a sports massage or something out of the whole thing   Plus he may be able to tell me what to do to make sure I don't do it again etc.  (I really think I just didnt' stretch enough.  I am bad about not really stretching at all, ever!  Except maybe in Yoga, which I didn't do much at all this year)

I thought about going down to the gym and doing some upper body lifting today, but decided instead of have lunch with a friend and relax.  I'm not going to rush back into things this week.  This week is all about relaxing and enjoying myself
2009-05-05 1:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
relaxing sounds like a plan!

and you are right- it could be some regular stretching should be added into your routine. I myself have a tendency to just hit the workout, feeling like I have limited time anyway, so why waste it stretching. But watching Mike's recovery last year from his knee injury, then a shoulder injury, really pushed me into stretching.

Enjoy the chiropractic appointment!
2009-05-05 2:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
I emailed my 19 year old to tell her how I did etc.  When they are that age you aren't sure do they really want to hear from you or are they just "humoring" you when they say let me know how it went.  (She's on cross country team and is really who got me running in the first place)  Anyhow I got this email reply,

"aww..well im glad that you pushed your self to do it! lol im proud of you! But I would say take today and then tomorrow off..but then start up again..because you need to stretch out all of your muscles! ....."

DBF called her my coach.  It really made me feel good to hear she was proud of me.  Wow that's such a switch.   (Proud mom moment

2009-05-06 5:58 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

This body for life thing has gone out the window. I just don't have enough time in my day to juggle it all. The scratched corneas are really throwing my training off too. ARRRGGGHHH!!!

I ran this morning. It felt so incredible. I used to run all the time in the mornings. I want to get back into that. I borrowed the body for life book and the flat abs book from the library. I am serious about needing to trim down. I tried to privatize my logs this morning. I have personal reasons for doing that. Check and see if you guys can still see them. If I can't do that I will just find somewhere else to log my workouts and then let you know through p.m.

Ginny, its so great when the kids are proud of us. That doesn't happen often. Savor that statement. Print it out and frame it!

Ann, hope the nausea is getting better. I swam with Jim Donaldson's nephew again on Monday. We were talking about the women's tri in July. He will be there volunteering.

Matt, I hijacked the thread on RWBF about what men want. I thought what you said about your wife was so sweet. I didn't know if you knew that I am getsteppin' on that site.

Edited by jogo 2009-05-06 6:01 AM
2009-05-07 3:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
Was planning on getting back to some exercise today, I was going to go to a cardio and weight class, but ended up spending my morning at the hospital instead.  No not because of my calf, but because I become a Grandma today   Hard to believe!  My oldest just had a little boy, 7 lbs 12 oz.  He's a cutie.   Mom is very tired and sore, but that's to be expected.

Hopefully yoga class tomorrow and I'll definitely do some stretches for you Jo.  I am unable to look at your training log and I can't respond to your inspires either because it says private log.

2009-05-07 4:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
That's great!  Congratulations!
2009-05-07 9:35 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Congratulations Granny Ginny! I am so excited. That is great! First grandchild and a HM all in one week, you sure are having a memorable week.

I think I fixed my blog. Inspire away, please.

Edited by jogo 2009-05-07 9:35 PM
2009-05-08 8:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
I feel like I missed so much. Sorry everyone. I was having blood pressure issues- totally pregnancy related, but my neurologist freakd out and changed my meds, and that is creating other issues. Mike is OOT, my mother is coming today, and my hands are full to say the least.

Ginny- first, congrats on having a kid who is proud of you. Made me tear up. Second- congrats on becoming a Grandma (though we all know you are totally too young to be a Grandma, and you alll should know in my head we are all the same age). Keep us posted on the sweet baby news!

Jo- what is going on? Private logs? Did you get some bad inspires, or does this have to do with the issue we pm'ed about before? I'm just curious. I wish I had some advice to give on the trimming down issue. My favorite book is "You Are What You Eat" by dr. Gillian McKeith. Basic principle- your body is what you put into it. It works for me. I happily used WW to drop ten pounds, but then got out of there before I got obsessed. I wish I had better advice here. Keep training, listen to your body and focus on toning up, not losing weight?

Okay, I'm off to try and check logs, then run to the store and frantically clean my house before my mother arrives. Oh, we saw the babe again yesterday. 10 weeks. It looks like a real baby now, and was moving around. We zoomed in and saw it wiggle it's toes. Instant love right there.

2009-05-08 12:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
Hope your blood pressure issues are worked out.  That's scary.  Always take care of yourself first, we can entertain ourselves here until you get back.

I decided not to go to yoga class today and instead make a lunch time trip back to the hospital to see my new grandson.  He slept the whole time I was there.  What a cutie.  Next week it's time to get serious again though.  But I have enjoyed this down week that's for sure.  I agree I'm too young to have a grandchild.  But I had her in my early twenties and she has decided to follow suit. 

They posted the pictures from the race, I think you guys can see this  http://www.runphotos.com/browse.cfm?race_id=156&bib_number=4057  I'm bib #4057 in the bright pink  

2009-05-08 4:28 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Ginny, you are way too young and rockin' hot to be a grandma!  Those pics are great!  I love the finish line ones the best, you look so excited and happy. 

2009-05-10 12:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
great photos, Ginny!

Happy Mother's Day, everyone.

I think my good days are great, the nausea is blechy when it comes, but is coming less often. There is hope for me! Looking forward to a normal week this week, and hopefully 3 swims. HOPEFULLY.

Hope everyone had a great weekend, and hope you got lots of snuggle time with that new baby, Ginny!
2009-05-11 12:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
Happy Late Mother's Day to both of you too.  Sorry I was out of town yesterday visiting my mother.  It was a great Mother's Day.

Glad the nauseau is letting up some Anne.  Hope things continue to go well for you. 

thanks for all the comments on the pictures.  You guys make me blush Kiss

I got out and ran some today.  Was nice and slow, took it easy.  Lots of stopping to stretch.  No pain,  just some "pulling" feeling in that area.  I think I'm going to be fine.  Woo Hoo   It was nice to know I don't have to go X number of miles, I just went however long I felt like going, did some walking if I needed too.  It's good to be back to enjoying my work out

Edited by scubagrrl 2009-05-11 12:32 PM
2009-05-11 5:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Ginny- sounds like a nice, enjoyable run. Glad to hear the calf is healing nicely. How is the new baby?

I did a hard swim workout today. It was so nice, I felt like normal. But, as the baby bump gets bigger, the dudes at lap swim are going to have to start swimming harder. They get angry enough when I pass them up, swimming an easy straight 500 while they are busy stopping to chat between 25s. Just wait until I have a huge belly and am still cruising past them! Then I mowed the backyard after the kids were done with homework- bad move. I'm wiped! But still, it's nice to see the nausea ending and me returing to normal as I round the corner to the end of the first trimester and the beginning of the second (and my favorite) trimester.

I had hoped to get in 3 swims this week, but looks like it will just be 2; Thursday, Friday, and Saturday we are in the neighborhood garage sale. I hate garage sales. But I have a ton of stuff to get rid of!

Hope everyone had a great workout day today!

2009-05-11 7:43 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Happy Mother's Day!  (a little late but we deserve a Mother's week!

I had a huge day at work.  Lots of stress.  After my fall on Saturday, and the healing hand, I skipped swimming tonight.  I am continuing to run before work in the morning.  I love that time of day.  That is my stress relief. 

Nice swim today Anne.  Ginny, its good to see you're running again.  Now I just have to get you into biking and we'll be good to go for August. 

I got my son's wedding invitation today.  I have my nose a little bent out of joint.  The invite states her "parents request the honor of our presence" but the invite says nothing about me and my husband.  Petty, I know, but weird.  The bride's family has really kept us out of this whole wedding thing.  Its just strange to me.  I am trying hard to not make my son feel bad but he has not stuck up for our family at all throughout this.  For the record we only have 60 of the 290 people invited from our side.  AAAAUUUGHH!!!  This is why I have to be a knockout.  I have to look incredibly hot compared to the mother of the bride, its all I have.  I am petty, really.  Thank you for letting me vent.

2009-05-12 8:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Jo, 11 years ago my step-mom (At the time) took control of planning our wedding. She was a huge control freak, and I was marrying into a very nice, normal, Catholic family who could not stand me, or any of my parents. There was a major throwdown over our invitations, which said our names, and then "Together with our Parents" so that we could include everyone and not have to list them all individually, since one of the things angering everyone was what order they should all be listed. TO THIS DAY my MIL is still angry about it, as is my birth mother. My MIL also brings up once a year that she did not like the colors we chose for the wedding, and that my Step-Mom requested that everyone wear fall colors so that we matched in the pictures of the wedding party, and since the colors burgundy, eggplant, navy blue, hunter green, and dark teal were taken, perhaps my MIL would like to wear something in the brown tones? My MIL wore sea foam green silk. Yes, we get along now, but the wedding planning caused 2 giant fights between my husband and myself, with his family making sure to let me know exactly how unwelcome I was (the day before the rehearsal they had a large family dinner, one that I was not allowed to come to and was told so). Please, please please let it go. Focus on you, and the good things you are doing in your life, and how happy that day will be, even if the events leading up to it are stressful. Are you in charge of the rehearsal dinner? My MIL told me she would do that, and pay for the rehearsal dinner, but would not contribute anything else (tradition said something about the father's family paying for part of the flowers) unless she was allowed to make the choices, which meant choosing flowers she liked versus what we had planned. I let her have total control over the rehearsal dinner, which meant that only people from my side who were in the wedding were invited, and she invited anyone and everyone who was in town from her side, and also ignored our request for some vegetarian options, as we had members of the wedding party who did not eat meat, and she said they could eat bread and salad, or get their food after the dinner. See? STILL. Everyting that goes on is going to be a part of the memories of that time forever. I don't remember my mother's dress, or how she looked- I just remember her throwing a fit in the hallway over the order that everyone was going in, and threatening to leave the wedding. And my MIL telling a crowd of people that the wedding did not count anyway, and according to their church, Mike was still single and could marry a nice, Catholic virgin when we divorced.

SIGH........

Ten years later we went to Vegaas and got re-married by Elvis, the way we originally wanted to get married in the first place. We had the wedding to placate our families, and our families made that event very unhappy and stressful. I know you would hever do that, you aren't that type of person.
2009-05-12 12:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
Weddings ugh!  Let's not talk about my daughter's wedding along with her dad and step mother.  Believe me that was an extremely stressful day and I am so glad it's over.  Unfortunately I have 2 more girls to go.  I know what you are saying Jo, when you feel like you are being shut out.  We just grin and bear it for our kids sake.  You'll do fine, you'll look like a million bucks and you'll make it through the day. 

I missed something somewhere, Jo, what did you do to your arm? 

Get me started cycling huh?  I'm taking a spinng class tomorrow does that count? Laughing

Edited by scubagrrl 2009-05-12 12:47 PM
2009-05-12 7:10 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

You guys always know how to make me feel better. Ginny, I have the advantage because my son, after a lot of fighting and tears from me and his sisters, is not inviting his father who he has no relationship with. He decided on his own but only after it was pointed out to him that he should reconcile first, before the wedding. He did not want to do that and decided it would make everyone feel uncomfortable.

The bride's mother is something else. She is in control of everything. Even to the point of telling me if I wanted to give a shower for the kids I could because she was throwing a shower for her family. The rehearsal dinner is what we are paying for but I have no say. I offered to pay for the cake because I wanted one of my best friend's to make it. She is awesome and has made every cake for our family. They begrudgingly agreed as long as they didn't have to pay. They did spend a lot of money on the shower cake from a bakery that "all her friends recommend" and had for their daughter's weddings. It was pretty but we are still doing the cake with my friend. This way she could impress at the shower. It is all about keeping up with the Joneses. These are 2 college kids who are offering to pay nothing. They are still depending on her family to pay for their college (we set a certain amt aside and my son is gone through that already). They are just acting so entitled.

I will survive as long as you let me vent. Her mother told me I had to wait till after she bought her dress to buy mine so I wouldn't buy something that would clash with hers. AAAAUUUUGGGGHHHH!!!!!

As far as the arm goes, I fell on Saturday when running.  That makes 2 running falls in 6 months, 2 bike falls, and 2 bike trainer falls.  I am surprised I haven't broken anything yet.

Edited by jogo 2009-05-12 7:13 PM
2009-05-13 4:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
I have two girls, and who knows what this one is. I am not looking forward to the day my kids get married and I know Mike and I will offer them all a lump sum to elope. My father did that for me, but we didnt' take the money.

This too will pass!

Jo, what is with all the falling???? No more. Race season is starting! It would stink to do all that training and then be out for a season. Oh, wait......I know all about that!

We're prepping for a garage sale today- a neighborhood sale on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I only agreed to do it because Mike suggested we make room for the new kid. I hate garage sales.

2009-05-14 5:53 AM
in reply to: #2147478

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

AKR18 - 2009-05-13 5:29 AM I Jo, what is with all the falling???? No more. Race season is starting! It would stink to do all that training and then be out for a season. Oh, wait......I know all about that!

I would guess what led you to being out for a season was a lot more fun than falling.

Have fun at the garage sale.  I hate those too and usually just good will everything.  I have a whole basement full of stuff that is going this weekend. We talked about taking our trailer and just hauling it all at once instead of making a million trips.  Its nice to clean house.

2009-05-14 8:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
I want to make sure I'm looking at the right date for the Sylvania Women's Tri.  It's July 26 right?
2009-05-14 1:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Yep- it's July 26, Sunday, here in Sylvania at the quarry.
2009-05-14 5:17 PM
in reply to: #2150162

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

scubagrrl - 2009-05-14 9:29 AM I want to make sure I'm looking at the right date for the Sylvania Women's Tri. It's July 26 right?

Oops!  My bad.  Changed on blog.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants Group- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23