BT Development Mentor Program Archives » DG's Group - We're FULL! 2010 here we come! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2010-03-02 2:41 PM
in reply to: #2557130

Veteran
Outside B'more
Subject: RE: DG's Group - We're FULL! 2010 here we come!
Joe - where do you work out with the swim coach? Did I ask you if you joined any tri club in Maryland?

Trainer told me last night he wants me doing 2 cardio workouts a day to help jump start some weight loss now over the next few weeks so I'm not compromising my training/nutrition closer I get to Eagleman. I need to be upping my workouts anyway so that's a good motivator!

Instead of snow we're getting rain tonight. I'll be running outside and it will be cold and miserable but it's rain and not snow..that's what I'll be telling myself and realizing it will be over in a short amount of time.

I've now registered for Rumpass in Bumpass Sprint in Virginia 4/18 and Bassman International 5/2..2 weeks away..not smart but I just want to practice the wetsuit removal/transition and gauge my fitness level before Eagleman so I'm not going to put my "A" face on....plus, how can you not love the name "Rumpass in Bumpass"???

2010-03-02 3:04 PM
in reply to: #2702893

User image

Master
Baltimore
KiwiJDRPH - 2010-03-02 3:41 PM Joe - where do you work out with the swim coach? Did I ask you if you joined any tri club in Maryland? Trainer told me last night he wants me doing 2 cardio workouts a day to help jump start some weight loss now over the next few weeks so I'm not compromising my training/nutrition closer I get to Eagleman. I need to be upping my workouts anyway so that's a good motivator! Instead of snow we're getting rain tonight. I'll be running outside and it will be cold and miserable but it's rain and not snow..that's what I'll be telling myself and realizing it will be over in a short amount of time. I've now registered for Rumpass in Bumpass Sprint in Virginia 4/18 and Bassman International 5/2..2 weeks away..not smart but I just want to practice the wetsuit removal/transition and gauge my fitness level before Eagleman so I'm not going to put my "A" face on....plus, how can you not love the name "Rumpass in Bumpass"???

I used to go a lot more, been slacking lately, but its at the Towson Merritt Mondays at 6:45.  There's a Baltimore Area Triathlon Club (I joined it a few days ago) member who runs it.  He's a swim guru, level 3 super coach or something like that, and a triathlon level 1 coach.  I had asked about a friend coming to class and he said as long as you can swim 25 yds at a time, you can come.  And as a bonus, the first two are free (at least they were when I started), then you can buy 10 classes for $70 (cheaper if you're a member, but I'm not so I don't know how much).  I think he also does a swim then spin on thursdays, but I've never been.  Both classes are geared towards triathletes.
2010-03-03 2:08 PM
in reply to: #2702974

Veteran
Outside B'more
jsiegs - 2010-03-02 4:04 PM

I used to go a lot more, been slacking lately, but its at the Towson Merritt Mondays at 6:45.  There's a Baltimore Area Triathlon Club (I joined it a few days ago) member who runs it.  He's a swim guru, level 3 super coach or something like that, and a triathlon level 1 coach.  I had asked about a friend coming to class and he said as long as you can swim 25 yds at a time, you can come.  And as a bonus, the first two are free (at least they were when I started), then you can buy 10 classes for $70 (cheaper if you're a member, but I'm not so I don't know how much).  I think he also does a swim then spin on thursdays, but I've never been.  Both classes are geared towards triathletes.

Ok, 6:45am or pm?? LOL. I'd like to look into that..I think a friend of mine is a member of that gym so maybe I'll have her check it out. I was thinking about joining the Mid-Maryland triathlon club, still not sure either club holds meeting at about the same distance from me. Friend of mine doing Eagleman with me said she was going to join both..don't believe that would provide twice the benefit but maybe she's hoping for any extra help!

Run was good last night..part rain/snow mix but not too cold. This morning I got to spin a little late so only 40 minutes of riding. Will try to get a swim in tonight.
2010-03-03 8:58 PM

User image

Corpus Christi
hey yall,  race is on the 20th, i realized i dont know what the hell im going to wear, should i spring for some tri shorts whats yalls opinion
2010-03-04 7:55 AM
in reply to: #2706267

User image

Veteran
Auburn
tizon - 2010-03-03 9:58 PM hey yall,  race is on the 20th, i realized i dont know what the hell im going to wear, should i spring for some tri shorts whats yalls opinion
You can never go wrong with tri shorts - good for the bike and run.  As far as gear, I assume you already have swim goggles and swim cap (race may provide swim cap).  You'll need to take a small water bottle to set on your transition towell (to get the sand/dirt off of your feet before the bike).  Not sure if you bike in socks or not (I don't) but if you do a pair of socks, bike, bike shoes, number belt, eye protection (sunglasses), running shoes and visor.  Sunscreen is key.  Make sure you do not put sunscreen on before you are body marked.  Don't forget a water bottle or two for your bike and eat a great Pre-race meal.  Make sure you wear your race number on your race belt on the bike (turn it toward your back) as well as the run (USAT rule).  Also, make sure you turn your number forward before you enter the finish chute.  Remember, don't look at your watch as you cross the finish line.  You'll ruin your finisher photo.  Who wants a picture of themselves looking at their watch after they finish their first tri?
2010-03-05 7:13 AM

Veteran
Outside B'more
Tri-shorts or a tri-suit are great. They dry fast, have a small chamois for the bike and you can run in them. I have 2 tri-suits but think I want separates this year because the women's tri-suits are a bit of a hassle to get in and out of for restroom visits (at least for me). I keep telling my friends whenever they ask what to wear in a triathlon to get a trisuit or at the very least tri-shorts.

2010-03-08 4:14 PM

Veteran

Have not been consistent.  We've been househunting in the last couple of days.

Found a master swimming class, going there tonight for the first time. 

2010-03-09 5:59 AM
in reply to: #2714995

User image

Veteran
Auburn
Chezz - 2010-03-08 5:14 PM

How'd you like the masters swim program?
2010-03-09 9:38 AM
in reply to: #2715683

Veteran
irondg - 2010-03-09 6:59 AM

found myself pushing a lot more just so I would not look so bad Cool  there's a coach most of the time and she gave me a couple of pointers.  I think they worked because my lats are sore, that did not happen before.   I do feel tight though, I usually do not stretch after a swim, any suggestions??  I will keep at it, try to make it twice a week at least

11 weeks till my first tri
2010-03-12 6:52 AM
in reply to: #2716109

User image

Veteran
Auburn
Chezz - 2010-03-09 10:38 AM
irondg - 2010-03-09 6:59 AM

found myself pushing a lot more just so I would not look so bad Cool  there's a coach most of the time and she gave me a couple of pointers.  I think they worked because my lats are sore, that did not happen before.   I do feel tight though, I usually do not stretch after a swim, any suggestions??  I will keep at it, try to make it twice a week at least

11 weeks till my first tri
  I like to use resistance bands to stretch after a good long swim.  Keep with the masters program.  With a coach on deck looking at your form and keeping you on pace you will improve your swim times by leaps and bounds. 
2010-03-16 8:49 AM

Veteran
Outside B'more
How's everyone been doing? I didn't realize how long it had been since I've been on! I had to commute to DC for past few days for a pharmacist's conference so I haven't been able to log on. Last week I was a little late to my spin class so I missed my chance for a bike so the instructor gave me hers..at the front of the class! I guess I'm getting stronger because we kept doing hill climbs starting with 5 minute climbs up to the final 10 minute climb and I kept up the entire time! But I will NEVER be late to class again! Good to know I'm feeling stronger. Wasn't able to make the group ride Sunday but apparently no one else did either. My knee was acting up so I gave it another rest day.

Saw the chiropractor last night to get fitted for orthotics (yippee ) and he had time for an adjustment which really helped my knee out. Tonight will be just running then back to 2x/day workouts. The Multisport Expo is the 27th! Looking forward to checking it out!

2010-03-17 7:43 AM
in reply to: #2728610

User image

Veteran
Auburn
KiwiJDRPH - 2010-03-16 9:49 AM How's everyone been doing? I didn't realize how long it had been since I've been on! I had to commute to DC for past few days for a pharmacist's conference so I haven't been able to log on. Last week I was a little late to my spin class so I missed my chance for a bike so the instructor gave me hers..at the front of the class! I guess I'm getting stronger because we kept doing hill climbs starting with 5 minute climbs up to the final 10 minute climb and I kept up the entire time! But I will NEVER be late to class again! Good to know I'm feeling stronger. Wasn't able to make the group ride Sunday but apparently no one else did either. My knee was acting up so I gave it another rest day. Saw the chiropractor last night to get fitted for orthotics (yippee ) and he had time for an adjustment which really helped my knee out. Tonight will be just running then back to 2x/day workouts. The Multisport Expo is the 27th! Looking forward to checking it out!
Awesome!  Glad to hear that you are getting strong on the bike!  After all, that's what you spend most of your time on during the race.  Enjoy the track workouts.
2010-03-17 7:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Auburn

First race of the season this weekend.  Really looking forward to it.  My real job has really picked up in the last two months (thank goodness) and I have not been getting the pool time in that I need, but we'll see how it goes.  Changed my cassette to a more flat race type cassette and threw on the rear disk wheel last night and tested it.  Seems to be working fine.  Looking forward to a great time this weekend. 

2010-03-17 4:45 PM

Veteran
you probably don't do pool tris anymore, but I have a chance to do one a month before my Sprint initiation.  is it recommended to wear the tri short in the pool if it's 300 m?

I have heard some do the bike and run in their jammers but I don't think I could manage that and was thinking of buying a tri short. 
2010-03-18 8:31 AM
in reply to: #2732202

User image

Veteran
Auburn
Chezz - 2010-03-17 5:45 PM you probably don't do pool tris anymore, but I have a chance to do one a month before my Sprint initiation.  is it recommended to wear the tri short in the pool if it's 300 m?

I have heard some do the bike and run in their jammers but I don't think I could manage that and was thinking of buying a tri short. 
I actually have a pool swim Tri this saturday.  I wear my tri-shorts/suit for all races.  Most races (besides IM or IM 70.3) won't have a "change tent" where you can change clothes inbetween events.  Stick with the tri shorts and you'll be fine.  They are designed for that. 
2010-03-18 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2733065

Veteran
irondg - 2010-03-18 9:31 AM
Chezz - 2010-03-17 5:45 PM you probably don't do pool tris anymore, but I have a chance to do one a month before my Sprint initiation.  is it recommended to wear the tri short in the pool if it's 300 m?

I actually have a pool swim Tri this saturday.  I wear my tri-shorts/suit for all races.  Most races (besides IM or IM 70.3) won't have a "change tent" where you can change clothes inbetween events.  Stick with the tri shorts and you'll be fine.  They are designed for that. 

What brand do you use?  Any special care to take on the shorts in order to avoid damage from the chlorine?

2010-03-18 12:14 PM
in reply to: #2733107

User image

Veteran
Auburn
Chezz - 2010-03-18 9:43 AM
irondg - 2010-03-18 9:31 AM

What brand do you use?  Any special care to take on the shorts in order to avoid damage from the chlorine?
  I am a bog 2XU fan.  Everything is durable and comfortable.  I just wash my suits as soon as I can after the race and air dry.  That works pretty welll.
2010-03-21 4:52 PM

User image

Corpus Christi
Well the Wet N Wild Triathlon went NICELY!!!  I placed third in my age group, the 24-29, and won a cap that says third place!  I really had alot of fun.  So basically heres how it went,  Had very little sleep, kept waking up making sure everything was ready, prolly 4-5hrs of sleep.  Loaded up, got a coffee which sparked a movement of the bowels, went over to my friends place and we all took off together and got to the event at around 6:50, and there was around 120bikes out , we were all really amping, hooting, hollering,honking horns in the parking lot getting pumped up and stoked with some punk rock cranked up on the radio.  We got alot of looks from everyone, and i think they all could tell that we were newbies, but we really didnt care.  The swim was really a mess in my opinion, the racers were spaced 10 seconds apart according to what you listed as what your time would be for a 300m swim, so i was being realistic and put in 5:15,  as it turns out alot of people were being a little optimistic on their swim times, causing severe traffic jams in the pool,  we had six lanes where we do a lap then go under the rope to the next lane but besides all the running into people and sketchy passing, it was fun.  As i ran out of the natatorium the cold air and light rain didnt seem to bother me. The bike leg went smooth, I kept asking myself if i was pushing it hard enough, my gps speedometer ran out of batteries, and i wished i had water insted of gatorade. there was also a solid 20-25 headwind, t2 wasnt so quick and I ran a 25 for the three mile run which really wasnt my fastest, i guess i was spent from the bike ride/fast swim.  but it was a pleasant surprise when they called my name at the awards ceremony.  I didnt think i did that well, my buddies were hooting and we werre throwing high fives all around my buddy iront got 2nd when he passed me in the run! so even more hooting really loud high fives, again everyone was looking at us funny but we were stoked!
2010-03-22 6:29 AM
in reply to: #2738795

User image

Veteran
Falls Church VA
tizon - 2010-03-21 5:52 PM Well the Wet N Wild Triathlon went NICELY!!!  I placed third in my age group, the 24-29, and won a cap that says third place!  I really had alot of fun.  So basically heres how it went,  Had very little sleep, kept waking up making sure everything was ready, prolly 4-5hrs of sleep.  Loaded up, got a coffee which sparked a movement of the bowels, went over to my friends place and we all took off together and got to the event at around 6:50, and there was around 120bikes out , we were all really amping, hooting, hollering,honking horns in the parking lot getting pumped up and stoked with some punk rock cranked up on the radio.  We got alot of looks from everyone, and i think they all could tell that we were newbies, but we really didnt care.  The swim was really a mess in my opinion, the racers were spaced 10 seconds apart according to what you listed as what your time would be for a 300m swim, so i was being realistic and put in 5:15,  as it turns out alot of people were being a little optimistic on their swim times, causing severe traffic jams in the pool,  we had six lanes where we do a lap then go under the rope to the next lane but besides all the running into people and sketchy passing, it was fun.  As i ran out of the natatorium the cold air and light rain didnt seem to bother me. The bike leg went smooth, I kept asking myself if i was pushing it hard enough, my gps speedometer ran out of batteries, and i wished i had water insted of gatorade. there was also a solid 20-25 headwind, t2 wasnt so quick and I ran a 25 for the three mile run which really wasnt my fastest, i guess i was spent from the bike ride/fast swim.  but it was a pleasant surprise when they called my name at the awards ceremony.  I didnt think i did that well, my buddies were hooting and we werre throwing high fives all around my buddy iront got 2nd when he passed me in the run! so even more hooting really loud high fives, again everyone was looking at us funny but we were stoked!

Glad to hear the race went well.
2010-03-22 9:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Auburn
tizon - 2010-03-21 5:52 PM Well the Wet N Wild Triathlon went NICELY!!!  I placed third in my age group, the 24-29, and won a cap that says third place!  I really had alot of fun.  So basically heres how it went,  Had very little sleep, kept waking up making sure everything was ready, prolly 4-5hrs of sleep.  Loaded up, got a coffee which sparked a movement of the bowels, went over to my friends place and we all took off together and got to the event at around 6:50, and there was around 120bikes out , we were all really amping, hooting, hollering,honking horns in the parking lot getting pumped up and stoked with some punk rock cranked up on the radio.  We got alot of looks from everyone, and i think they all could tell that we were newbies, but we really didnt care.  The swim was really a mess in my opinion, the racers were spaced 10 seconds apart according to what you listed as what your time would be for a 300m swim, so i was being realistic and put in 5:15,  as it turns out alot of people were being a little optimistic on their swim times, causing severe traffic jams in the pool,  we had six lanes where we do a lap then go under the rope to the next lane but besides all the running into people and sketchy passing, it was fun.  As i ran out of the natatorium the cold air and light rain didnt seem to bother me. The bike leg went smooth, I kept asking myself if i was pushing it hard enough, my gps speedometer ran out of batteries, and i wished i had water insted of gatorade. there was also a solid 20-25 headwind, t2 wasnt so quick and I ran a 25 for the three mile run which really wasnt my fastest, i guess i was spent from the bike ride/fast swim.  but it was a pleasant surprise when they called my name at the awards ceremony.  I didnt think i did that well, my buddies were hooting and we werre throwing high fives all around my buddy iront got 2nd when he passed me in the run! so even more hooting really loud high fives, again everyone was looking at us funny but we were stoked!
Awesome job on your first race!!!!  Congrats!  We had the same bottle neck at my race swim too.  I hate that.  Post your Race Report.  I just did mine!  Awesome job.  What's next?
2010-03-22 10:59 AM

User image

Corpus Christi
April 18th I have already entered in the 27th annual Corpus Christi Sprint Tri, which will be open water.  Im waiting for them to post the results from Sat. to do the race report. 
Lately, ii have really been in the weeds with school and work, and i have alot of logs i need to go back and put in. Spring break was nice, but now its back to the grind, im really trying hard to change gears back into school mode...i wish i could just train for Tri and race :D , ill post up some more when time permits

Thanks yall for the support!

2010-03-22 1:12 PM

Veteran

congrats on this, I am doing my first on the 18th at a pool as well
2010-03-23 8:04 PM

Veteran
Outside B'more
Tizon - Great job on the race!!! 3rd place in your age group is an excellent start! Geez...I can only dream of placing in my age group! But I figure if I can keep this up for another 15 years I might have a chance!! LOL

I've been trying to keep up 2x/day workouts per my trainers advice to try to drop a little weight before my HIM. First 2 weeks have been going well. I still feel ok and have decent energy...which I surely thought I would've been exhausted by day 3 but so far so good! Got outside for a bike ride Sunday, we were only supposed to do 10 miles but we did another run and did 15. I could've gone a bit longer but I went home and went for a run around my neighborhood instead.

This weekend I'm hoping to get in about 20 miles on a ride. Also the Multisport Expo is Saturday so I'll be looking for a wetsuit and transition bag and taking part in a Total Immersion swim clinic!
2010-03-26 1:36 PM
in reply to: #2744036

Veteran
so I'm close to my race now and have questions about pacing.  I'm doing a short sprint in the pool in april to get a feel of where I stand for my first race in May.  How should my paces be in each of the 3 disciplines, how much do I need to give in?  Is it all out on the 3 stages, a progressive build or is it relevant to your strengths

I have no strenghts, YET, so all comments will help.

also, can anybody explain to me what periodization is in a training schedule?
2010-03-29 6:56 AM
in reply to: #2751134

User image

Veteran
Auburn
Chezz - 2010-03-26 2:36 PM so I'm close to my race now and have questions about pacing.  I'm doing a short sprint in the pool in april to get a feel of where I stand for my first race in May.  How should my paces be in each of the 3 disciplines, how much do I need to give in?  Is it all out on the 3 stages, a progressive build or is it relevant to your strengths

I have no strenghts, YET, so all comments will help.

also, can anybody explain to me what periodization is in a training schedule?
  Chezz,
Here is a chart about periodization.  It's one I've used and is very handy.  You can find similar charts and explanations by doing a google search on Triathlon Periodization training.  In a nutshell, break your races out into catagories.  An "A" race is the race you want to really do well.  A "B" race is a race that you want to finish, or use for a "training day" getting ready for your "A" race.  Count back the weeks and follow the chart.  Simple.  Your paces?  In a sprint, I try and go all out.  It's 50-65 min of your life and you should be able to handle it.  However, make sure you have enough in the tank to finish.  Personally, I take it easy in the swim allowing my body to warm up, I go about 80-90% on the bike and then try to hammer the run.  But that's just me. 
PhaseHow long?FrequencyDurationIntensityVolume
Prep4-8 weeksHighShort-MediumVery littleLow
Base12-24 weeksHighMedium- HighModerateModerate to High
Build4-8 weeksModerate-HighHighHeavyModerate
Peak/Race3-5 weeksModerateShortHeavyLow
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » DG's Group - We're FULL! 2010 here we come! Rss Feed  

of 15