BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-01-18 3:57 PM
in reply to: #2557497

User image

New user
Sandusky
Subject: RE: KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED
Hello everyone!!! Gosh I've been a stranger lately..  I haven't been posting updates here but I have been keeping up with my training! Last week I was pretty light on my bike workouts. I don't have a nice bike or a trainer at home so I rely on the stationary bikes at the gym and spinning.  Both times I tried to go to spinning this week I was closed out of the class! I was so mad, but now I know to get there extra early to get a spot.  I really dislike the stationary bikes at the gym. The seat is huge and so are the petals and I spent most of the time uncomfortable and mad.  Biking is me least favorite discipline and it's probably what I should work on the most but it's hard to be motivated.  BUT, this week is a new week! I have two days off and I intend to get to the gym early and get in a spinning class.

I am using a new swim workout from swimplan.com and I like it. In the past I have swam the minutes required for training, but now I am incorporating more drills, etc. to my workout.  It is difficult but I like the challenge and I already can see my endurance building.

Karen- thanks for emailing me the training plan..I took a look at it and I'm not sure if I'm ready to take on the half mary! I think I need to build up my running distances a bit before I embark on that journey!

I had to work at both my jobs today so there is no MLK holiday for me, but if anyone else had the day off today, enjoy! I'm off to the pool tonight after work.

2010-01-18 6:29 PM
in reply to: #2619205

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
TritoTeach - 2010-01-18 6:48 AM

Hi everyone,

I was gone for the weekend, and it feels like I've been gone for a week.  I also have a new twist to my workouts--the elevator in my building is down, so every time I come home, I have 14 flights of stairs ahead of me.  I actually wouldn't normally mind the extra cardio (and it's definitely cardio--the first time I came home with about 40 lbs of groceries, I thought I was going to pass out by the time I made it to the top), but I've been trying to be so careful to baby my knee as I ease into running, I'm getting sort of worried about the extra stress on my knee the stairs are causing.  Oh well, there's nothing I can do about it I guess.

I actually have a training question.  Right now, my goal is to run/walk 3x a week since I really wanted to focus on getting back into that.  Then it has left me time to swim 2x and bike either 1 or 2x depending on my schedule, leaving one rest day, which I feel like I need at this point.  Still, I'm a terrible swimmer, and I'm wondering if it would make a difference to try to get a third day of swimming in.  I'm not sure how to balance and prioritize everything.

WOW! 14 flights of stairs? That sucks! I get my cardio training- otherwise I pass. Ha!

The rest day is a smart idea.

So are you a strong cyclist? Or... still a beginner?

I am a strong swimmer, so while I focus on running and cycling in the "off season", I am not swimming. But I also know I can not swim for 2-3 months and get back up to speed rather quickly.

Do you feel that way about your cycling? If not, then cycle one day a week and swim twice a week.

When you swim, must make sure your time is well spent and that you put in the distance. Don't go swim 500 yards. Go swim 1500-2000 yards each time.

Good luck!

2010-01-18 8:24 PM

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
14 flights - isn't stair climbing one of the 'other' sports we can track? Tongue out

I had MLK day off as did the kids.  I took 3 to the Y to play.  We went across town to one with a waterpark and a "Y-Zone" full of active games.  Our favorite was the kickboxing target game where we competed to see who could hit the most targets during a set time.  We could even turn off the high targets for the 4 and 6 year olds.  I did virtual snowboarding, rode the Expresso bike against my teenage son, did Wii and played virtual dodgeball.  Dodgeball was on a 12ft lit grid with a virtual ball chasing us across the floor.  If you didn't dodge it, it "popped" and you were out.  Nick and I are convinced that it targets the heavier players. 4yo lightweight Tark won most of the time!  We left at 9am and played until 3pm!  Tark wants to live there.  He was pointing out where we could lay out our towels to sleep on.

This is a rest week for me and I'm glad.

I've been focusing on making my workout goals.  Saturday I finally got up to 2.3mile run and got back to my favorite neighborhood route.  It was cool out -40F and I felt powerful and fast, so fun!  I'd looked forward to the run all day at work and really enjoyed the sunset run.

It's still amazing to me that I'm saying that.  Two years ago I HATED running and was phobic about cycling.

My goal tomorrow is to get my therapy set up.  My hip is still twinging and sore, although not during exercise.

Cheryl
2010-01-19 5:37 AM

User image

Veteran
San Francisco
It's 3:30AM.  I can't sleep.  I hate this!  This happens to me a couple times a month where I just can't fall back to sleep if I wake up at night.  So, after 30 minutes of tossing and turning, I decided not to fight it.

On another note... thank you for the swim encouragement.  I needed it!  I dad end up having a good swim yesterday where I just focused on drills.  I'm hoping to start technique lessons this coming weekend.

Margot, I swim at The JCC.  I just joined in early December.  It's a great gym with a great pool!  I wish I knew of someone to recommend to look at your swim stroke.  I'll let you know about the instructor I find.
2010-01-19 12:04 PM
in reply to: #2621033

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
justtrichris - 2010-01-19 3:37 AM It's 3:30AM.  I can't sleep.  I hate this!  This happens to me a couple times a month where I just can't fall back to sleep if I wake up at night.  So, after 30 minutes of tossing and turning, I decided not to fight it.

On another note... thank you for the swim encouragement.  I needed it!  I dad end up having a good swim yesterday where I just focused on drills.  I'm hoping to start technique lessons this coming weekend.

Margot, I swim at The JCC.  I just joined in early December.  It's a great gym with a great pool!  I wish I knew of someone to recommend to look at your swim stroke.  I'll let you know about the instructor I find.

Oh awesome, I've heard good things about the JCC pool but haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

I think I was probably up around 3:30 last night too. The storm was crazy! The wind and thunder kept my husband and I awake most of the night.

I'll be doing my 5 mile run on the treadmill tonight, ugh. I'll run in the dark and I'll run in the rain but I won't run in the dark and the rain. I figure visibility is horrible and it's just not safe.
2010-01-19 12:12 PM
in reply to: #2621895

User image

Master

calimavs - 2010-01-19 12:04 PM
justtrichris - 2010-01-19 3:37 AM It's 3:30AM.  I can't sleep.  I hate this!  This happens to me a couple times a month where I just can't fall back to sleep if I wake up at night.  So, after 30 minutes of tossing and turning, I decided not to fight it.

Oh awesome, I've heard good things about the JCC pool but haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

I think I was probably up around 3:30 last night too. The storm was crazy! The wind and thunder kept my husband and I awake most of the night.

I'll be doing my 5 mile run on the treadmill tonight, ugh. I'll run in the dark and I'll run in the rain but I won't run in the dark and the rain. I figure visibility is horrible and it's just not safe.

Must have been something weird going on at 3:30 last night.  Our dog came in to ask out...he never does that. 

We are supposed to get the storms tonight and tomorrow.  You know something bad's coming when it's 70 degrees in January.

2010-01-19 8:21 PM
in reply to: #2619458

User image

Regular
tnguyen1 - 2010-01-18 9:51 AM
TritoTeach - 2010-01-18 6:48 AM Hi everyone,

I was gone for the weekend, and it feels like I've been gone for a week.  I also have a new twist to my workouts--the elevator in my building is down, so every time I come home, I have 14 flights of stairs ahead of me.  I actually wouldn't normally mind the extra cardio (and it's definitely cardio--the first time I came home with about 40 lbs of groceries, I thought I was going to pass out by the time I made it to the top), but I've been trying to be so careful to baby my knee as I ease into running, I'm getting sort of worried about the extra stress on my knee the stairs are causing.  Oh well, there's nothing I can do about it I guess.

I actually have a training question.  Right now, my goal is to run/walk 3x a week since I really wanted to focus on getting back into that.  Then it has left me time to swim 2x and bike either 1 or 2x depending on my schedule, leaving one rest day, which I feel like I need at this point.  Still, I'm a terrible swimmer, and I'm wondering if it would make a difference to try to get a third day of swimming in.  I'm not sure how to balance and prioritize everything.

Go you for being a trooper going up 14 flight of stairs day in and day out. Definately be careful on the knee. Not sure how bad your knee is but be careful and listen to your body. On swimming, not sure what you consider terrible since that is all subjective but to get better at anything the more you do it the better. Since you are recovering from a knee injury swimming is great b/c of the low impact. Also, if you are new to swimming, I think going to 3 days a week would be beneficial with the proper technique of course.

On balancing and prioritizing your training.........it depends how much time you are wanting/willing to allot for each sport. It does get hard juggling 3 diciplines but doable. Question for you would be what days and what time do you have available to to train? I'll just use my training schedule b/c it seems that I have a similar focus as you: run 3x, swim 3x, bike 1-2x. I would put a day between your run days, so my training looks something like:

Run: Tues AM/Thurs AM/Sat AM

Swim: Wed AM/Fri AM/Sun AM

Bike: Wed PM

Strenth Training: Tues PM

Monday: rest day or bike

Of course it's all dependent on what days and times work for you. I always find that I do best when I write out my training. I plan it all out month in advance, but break it down by week and adjust accordingly. Good luck, it does take some thought but when there's a will there's a way!
Thanks, that's helpful to see. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that a significant factor in my schedule is figuring out when during the week I wash and straighten my hair--swimming makes it pretty much unavoidable...
2010-01-19 8:55 PM
in reply to: #2621907

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
crews - 2010-01-19 12:12 PM

calimavs - 2010-01-19 12:04 PM

Must have been something weird going on at 3:30 last night.  Our dog came in to ask out...he never does that. 

We are supposed to get the storms tonight and tomorrow.  You know something bad's coming when it's 70 degrees in January.

OH yeah, I remember back in Feb 2009... it was 70 degrees two days before my half mary w/my friend. She flew in from Minnesota to warm weather.

The very night before the race... a cold front blew in... we ran in 36 degree weather with a very strong wind.

2010-01-19 8:57 PM
in reply to: #2623018

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
TritoTeach - 2010-01-19 8:21 PM

tnguyen1 - 2010-01-18 9:51 AM
TritoTeach - 2010-01-18 6:48 AM Hi everyone,

Go you for being a trooper going up 14 flight of stairs day in and day out. Definately be careful on the knee. Not sure how bad your knee is but be careful and listen to your body. On swimming, not sure what you consider terrible since that is all subjective but to get better at anything the more you do it the better. Since you are recovering from a knee injury swimming is great b/c of the low impact. Also, if you are new to swimming, I think going to 3 days a week would be beneficial with the proper technique of course.

On balancing and prioritizing your training.........it depends how much time you are wanting/willing to allot for each sport. It does get hard juggling 3 diciplines but doable. Question for you would be what days and what time do you have available to to train? I'll just use my training schedule b/c it seems that I have a similar focus as you: run 3x, swim 3x, bike 1-2x. I would put a day between your run days, so my training looks something like:

Run: Tues AM/Thurs AM/Sat AM

Swim: Wed AM/Fri AM/Sun AM

Bike: Wed PM

Strenth Training: Tues PM

Monday: rest day or bike

Of course it's all dependent on what days and times work for you. I always find that I do best when I write out my training. I plan it all out month in advance, but break it down by week and adjust accordingly. Good luck, it does take some thought but when there's a will there's a way!
Thanks, that's helpful to see. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that a significant factor in my schedule is figuring out when during the week I wash and straighten my hair--swimming makes it pretty much unavoidable...

I completely understand what you are saying!

I have figured out that I can put some product in my hair and let it just be wavy... when I need to. Otherwise, if I have just washed my hair and straightened it... I'm not keen on jumping in a pool.

While training for my IM I looked HORRIBLE. My hair was always back in a ponytail.

2010-01-19 8:58 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Just to make you all feel good... I had a job interview till 7:15 PM (see log for details)... once that was done I was hungry... so instead of running I ordered pizza... and watched The Biggest Loser!!!! Ha!

2010-01-19 10:04 PM

Hi everybody!  Having a greasy pizza tonight myself.... yum.  Have been away and off the training for a few days.  I have been one of a group of volunteers helping to get a selection of nurses, doctors and supplies packed up and shipped out to Haiti from St. Louis.... TODAY!  Wow, what a coordination nightmare, but it's done.  I'm still hyped up and running on adreneline.   I haven't had but a few hours sleep the last few days adding this on to my work schedule.  Tomorrow I will give training a try.  Tonight it's pizza and lounging.  Jody

2010-01-19 10:36 PM
in reply to: #2623097

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
KSH - 2010-01-19 6:58 PMJust to make you all feel good... I had a job interview till 7:15 PM (see log for details)... once that was done I was hungry... so instead of running I ordered pizza... and watched The Biggest Loser!!!! Ha!
Ha! I love it! Hope you enjoyed your pizza and were able to relax after interviewing, that sounds like a long day.
2010-01-20 10:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
Jody,

Very cool that you are doing all that to help out. They definitively need it!! Good luck with everyone's training and/or pizza eating ;-)

G
2010-01-20 11:02 AM
in reply to: #2623097

User image

Veteran
KSH - 2010-01-19 8:58 PM Just to make you all feel good... I had a job interview till 7:15 PM (see log for details)... once that was done I was hungry... so instead of running I ordered pizza... and watched The Biggest Loser!!!! Ha!
  OK, I have to admit on a pizza binge last week, but do I have to admit I ordered a large and ate it all myself?
2010-01-20 11:05 AM
in reply to: #2623220

User image

Veteran
jtsn - 2010-01-19 10:04 PM

Hi everybody!  Having a greasy pizza tonight myself.... yum.  Have been away and off the training for a few days.  I have been one of a group of volunteers helping to get a selection of nurses, doctors and supplies packed up and shipped out to Haiti from St. Louis.... TODAY!  Wow, what a coordination nightmare, but it's done.  I'm still hyped up and running on adreneline.   I haven't had but a few hours sleep the last few days adding this on to my work schedule.  Tomorrow I will give training a try.  Tonight it's pizza and lounging.  Jody

Great job stepping up and making a difference.
2010-01-20 1:04 PM

User image

Master

I have to jump on the pizza bandwagon...had it for lunch.  Bacon, spinach and tomato with pink sauce...YuM!!!  And a PBR.

2010-01-20 5:40 PM
in reply to: #2624426

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
crews - 2010-01-20 1:04 PM

I have to jump on the pizza bandwagon...had it for lunch.  Bacon, spinach and tomato with pink sauce...YuM!!!  And a PBR.

???? Surprised
2010-01-20 8:30 PM
in reply to: #2624093

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Big_D - 2010-01-20 11:02 AM

KSH - 2010-01-19 8:58 PM Just to make you all feel good... I had a job interview till 7:15 PM (see log for details)... once that was done I was hungry... so instead of running I ordered pizza... and watched The Biggest Loser!!!! Ha!
  OK, I have to admit on a pizza binge last week, but do I have to admit I ordered a large and ate it all myself?

Sure admit it... I'm half your size and that's what I did!

I got a large, thin crust from iFratelli's. YUM! I could have finished the large last night, but stopped myself and left 4 pieces.

OK enough talk of pizza... although we all seem to be enjoying it... I got my run in tonight.

How is everyone else doing? Sounds like we are all holding strong for the most part.

2010-01-20 8:30 PM
in reply to: #2623220

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
jtsn - 2010-01-19 10:04 PM

That is a very good reason to not workout!

Thanks for helping!
2010-01-21 9:03 AM
in reply to: #2625090

User image

Master

gerrydiego - 2010-01-20 5:40 PM

???? Surprised

It's made up of 1/2 red sauce and 1/2 spicy white sauce.   It's AmAzInG!!!  And they have Pabst Blue Ribbon for $1 all the time

2010-01-21 9:58 AM
in reply to: #2626015

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
crews - 2010-01-21 9:03 AM

gerrydiego - 2010-01-20 5:40 PM

???? Surprised

It's made up of 1/2 red sauce and 1/2 spicy white sauce.   It's AmAzInG!!!  And they have Pabst Blue Ribbon for $1 all the time

Ah... ok that does sound good!! And Blue Ribon is always nice...Bon Appetit!!!

2010-01-21 11:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Hi everyone! Happy Thursday!

Hope everyone's week is finishing up well. We're still dealing with a lot of rain here in NorCal, the commute into work every morning is always interesting. I take public transportation and it feels like it takes longer and longer each day.

I have a 5 mile run scheduled for tonight after work, looks like I'll be on the treadmill since it will probably still be raining. Tongue outThen a much needed rest day tomorrow. The good news is that the storm is supposed to let up this weekend, just in time for my final long run (10 miles!) before the half marathon.
2010-01-21 7:11 PM
in reply to: #2626469

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
calimavs - 2010-01-21 11:41 AM

Hi everyone! Happy Thursday!

Hope everyone's week is finishing up well. We're still dealing with a lot of rain here in NorCal, the commute into work every morning is always interesting. I take public transportation and it feels like it takes longer and longer each day.

I have a 5 mile run scheduled for tonight after work, looks like I'll be on the treadmill since it will probably still be raining. Tongue outThen a much needed rest day tomorrow. The good news is that the storm is supposed to let up this weekend, just in time for my final long run (10 miles!) before the half marathon.

Great job on getting those runs in! Last long run... FUN! Good luck!

2010-01-22 10:41 AM
in reply to: #2626469

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
calimavs - 2010-01-21 11:41 AM Hi everyone! Happy Thursday!

Yay! Have a great final long run. You're going to do great!
2010-01-22 10:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Happy Friday!!!!!

I'm ready to hit this weekend full force. Just got done w/ a killer Master's swim this AM, 7 mile run Saturday & maybe bike, Sunday AM Master's swim and then maybe another bike. Bike's are a maybe b/c not sure how bad my legs will hurt after 7 mile run-it's my first time to run 7 miles. Phew...hope I can get it all done.

Hope everyone has a fabulous weekend!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27