BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-05-14 10:38 AM
in reply to: #2858082

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Subject: RE: mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED
Swimfreak17 - 2010-05-14 12:27 AM I think I'm gonna make my swim goal!!!  I'm currently at 14,000m for the week and I have 2 days to go!!!  I'm going to swim 10 miles!  Which, pathetically, is way farther than I can run in week or bike in a single session.  Baby steps I guess.  Now I just need to get my swim times to improve, I feel pretty slow, I have to remind myself that the speed will come back eventually.

Brian, sucks about your race, Nole had a great idea about a team relay, hope that's possible for you...otherwise just look at it as an ows/bike brick training thing.  Positive thoughts for your dr's appt.

Keep up the great work everybody!

Ronda

"A Fish Called Ronda"  I'm sure you've never heard that before! 

Good news for my, I talked to my Race Director and he is letting me defer to next year in exchange for volunteering.  Makes me feel better about my situation, and I get to experience a tri from a different angle.  

I'm resting on my a$$ this weekend, I'm not going to do anything!

2010-05-15 12:42 PM
in reply to: #2769357

@ Brian...glad that they'll let you defer to next year...at least you are not losing your money.
@ Tom...good luck on your race!  Let us know how it goes!
@ Nole...awesome time dude, I am so impressed!

Well, I got the 10 miles in last night and while I was happy about that, I weighed in this morning and only lost 1.2lbs this week, so I'm a little bummed about that.  I watched the calories pretty well, no out of control days but a few times I had to grab stuff on the go and even tho the calories stayed under I wonder if the high sodium, high fat, over processed, hurt more than I expected it too.  I had totally ramped up the exercise this week too but oh well, I guess I have to just keep at it....just stings going from a big loss one week to almost nothing this week.

Have a great weekend,
Ronda

Edited by Swimfreak17 2010-05-15 12:44 PM
2010-05-15 6:26 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus
Wow!  What a great Saturday!  A local BTer set up a practice triathlon course.  The swim was in  61 degree water.  Cold, but surprisingly warm with my wetsuit!  I was actually disappointed it was over so soon.  We estimated that we did a 350m, we didn't want anyone who didn't have a wetsuit to freeze-literally.

We then did a 26 mile bike (more than I ever have done before) in about 1:30.  I then did a slow 3 miles and ran with the guy who set it up.

All in all, I'm pleased to know I could finish an Olympic without pushing my heart rate. 

I highly recommend meeting up with some locals BTers!  The ones I met were fantastic!!!

Hope you all continue to have a great weekend!
2010-05-16 12:28 AM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
I had a great weekend too!  Took a personal day on Friday to spend some time with the family.  Got some gardening done and hung out with my wife and son.  We went to the pool with my boy and he loves it.  I was able to get an impromptu quick swim in and swam my fastest 500 at 9:30.  Knowing that I was just going to go hard for that 500 really helped.

I was supposed to race in the Pole Peddle Paddle today, but our skier's wife is due any day and we decided to cancel and get our money back so it wasn't stressful.  Instead the wife and I rode down to the finish with the son in the bike trailer and walk around and talk with friends.  I had my boy in the backpack the whole time we walked around, so I got double the workout. 

Then I went for my longest ride yet this afternoon.  38 miles!  And it was over a 2500 foot elevation gain and back down.  I was five miles short of riding to our town's ski lodge!  It was quite the ride and my legs are killing me right now, but I felt great having completed it. 

Here is what my view on the ride looked like:

I went over my projected 7.5 hours this week in s/b/r which makes me really happy.  Next week is a minus 40% week, so it should be really easy.

Nutrition was decent this weekend even though we went out to eat a few times.  I tried to be smart about what I ordered and put in my mouth.  But I have had 5 beers so far this weekend and we have a going away party for some friends tomorrow night.  I might have a few more brews before the weekend is over!  Hopefully it doesn't screw up my weight too much.  I have been trying to drink a ton of water every time I drank beer.

Hope your guys' weekend was awesome as well.  How did everyone do meeting their weekly goal?

Edited by n.k 2010-05-16 12:32 AM
2010-05-16 6:06 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Back from a week at Disney with the family. haven't stepped on the scale yet, but I know it can't be good. Did manage to run most days, around 25 miles for the week. Starting a 20 week Full IM program tomorrow folks, so wish me luck. Hope those of you that raced this weekend had fun and finished strong. 
2010-05-17 9:18 AM

Veteran

Had a good weekend, I went and rode the course for my next sprint.  It's a rolling hill course with some long inclines, so I was happy to get a chance to do it.  It's not going to be easy, there are some rough spots on the road as well.

you are all doing great, 10 mile swim, 38 mile ride, olympic simulation, HIM training!  you are all raising the bar.

I did not meet my goal for the week, sunday got rained out and thunderstoms.  I hope I can manage to keep in line because I will be travelling for the next 2 weeks. 

Cheers,

Gerardo

2010-05-17 3:06 PM

User image

Expert
NW NJ

Had my 1st PT session today, my therapist who is also a triathlete just qualified for Kona at St. Croix a few weeks ago.  She is frigin awesome.  She got me through my last injury and will get me through this one.  Sh wants me to start spinning on the trainer later this week and keep the swimming up.  No running for a while though. 

You guys are really bumming me out, I did nothing this weekend  I feel like I'm falling to pieces! drank beer and ate ribs to add to the misery of not being able to run/bike! What a slacker!

However, you guys apparently killed it, very inspiring. 

Tom, how did your race go?  

It is Monday, How many hours are we pledging this week?  How did everyone do last week? 

2010-05-18 1:47 AM

Ok, finally caught my training log up, didn't do much during the weekend but I managed to walk the dogs one day and do the elliptical the next day.  I was taking it easy because boy was I tired after the week but I didn't want to not do anything and lose my peach-ness.  So goal wise, I didn't make the bike, but I made the swimming (and then some) and the running.  Missed one taekwondo because of a meeting I didn't know about until the last minute and my pony got shoes on thurs so he got that day and friday off.  Made the elliptical, missed the strenth training.

Goals this week...

4 hrs swimming          2 hrs riding (we have rain here so I have to be realistic about how much I'll ride)
2 hrs running              2 hrs elliptical
1 hr biking                  2.5 hrs  taekwondo
                                  .5 strenth training (going to try and actually do this)
7 hrs s/b/r
7 hrs other sports

So 14 hrs this week, a little less than last week, hopefully I'll make them all this week.

Have a great week!
Ronda
2010-05-18 9:54 AM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
I'm on a minus 40% week this week, so I don't have to log a ton of hours.

I'm looking for 4 hours and 30 mins of s/b/r this week.  I'll add in some sports (basketball yesterday, maybe some canoeing) and some strength training.

I have a little race on Thursday.  A 4 mile mud run.  Supposedly there are mod bogs, single track trail paths, and steep inclines on this course.  Anyone done anything like this before and have any advise?

Hope you guys are kicking in your training.
2010-05-19 11:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
I cannot complain about my sprint this past weekend.  In my age group out of 7 people I was 3rd on the bike, 4th in the swim and 6th on the run of 7 people.  I was 90 of 129 overall.  My sprint time was 1:38:01 for 500 yd swim, 14.5 mile bike and 3.1 mile run.  I am getting better but slowly.  I am convinced that a drop in weight and training is the key.  For instance I am a really good cyclist as long as I am on the flat or going down a hill.  As soon as I hit a long uphill grade I slow down considerably.  My run time would also benefit greatly as right now I am around 10 - 11 minute miles.  My transitions are actually really good.  Anyway just thought I'd share.  My next sprint is June 13th and is all outdoor.
Hope all is well with everyone.
Tom
2010-05-19 4:59 PM

So I am my own worst enemy...its been a bad couple of days. 

After the depressing 1lb loss weigh in on Sat instead of my usual "free" meal, I gave myself the whole day!  Then almost lost my pink by not doing anything except for walking the dogs! 

Sunday's nutrition was back on track but I was kinda apathetic about it and not very motivated.  Barely squeeked out the elliptical.  Still pink, but barely! 

Monday I took a great lunch and then promptly tossed it to eat out with a friend at lunch because I figured 1 meal couldn't hurt...never got back on track food wise that day...I did swim but eh, I always swim. 

Tuesday I have no excuses for, was moping around feeling sorry for myself and ate whatever I wanted (which of course was NOT healthy) and didn't do anything active all day...even though I had the whole day off! 

What a waste.

So while stuffing myself watching the Biggest Loser that I had tivo'd earlier ( I know, that's pathetic, I was watching a weight loss show and eating just to eat) I realized that I hadn't done any exercise at all so goodbye all pink month!  I had even skipped taekwondo, which I love and is so easy to earn a pink day with, for no reason except wallowing in self pity. 

So then they have the contestants run a marathon!  A freaking marathon and 2 of them are still quite overweight!  And I'm sitting on the couch!  Eating! 

So I started typing up this long post to you guys basically throwing a pity party, table of 1 for me last night. 

But...

I looked at the time on my computer right before I hit submit and noticed it was 11:27 pm (california time)  I sighed and figured goodbye pink month...but...I couldn't hit submit...if I got off my butt and at least did the elliptical or something, I could save it!  Not by much but maybe this was an important step/lesson in not giving up...

so

...I squeezed out 25 minutes on the elliptical.  I know, not much and 3 times now I've almost lost the pink for no reason but I'm hoping this is a wake up call...

to stop focusing on the negatives and start appreciating the positives!  I mean yeah, 1lb isn't a lot to lose but hey its better than none or worse gaining 1 lb!  Sure, I might have to jog/walk but at least I can do that!  Maybe I've never gone 10 miles on my bike yet but OMG, when I first started I could barely go a little over a mile and I was dying! 

Maybe I'm not fast in the pool like I used to be but jeeze, that was over 10 yrs ago and 100lbs lighter...and the speed will come back, its just going to take time...today some guy who kinda thrashes more than he swims (and I mean that nicely, not snarky, its obvious he's just really learning how) told me how great he thought I swam and that he hopes he has my stamina one day!  Someone wants to be like ME!  At first when he said that I kind of started to dismiss it and tell him how slow I am and how much that sucks but I realized how negative and pissy that was going to sound.  So I smiled, said thank you, and offered to show him a few pointers.  Not that I'm Phelps or anything and I'm way slow but my technique is pretty sound. (although I do want to do a month here and there with a masters so I can have a second set of eyes to pick apart my stroke and help me tweak it where ever it needs tweaking, there's always room for improvement somewhere plus I think it would help with pushing myself, its easy in the pool to just coast along)

Sorry for the novel, my head has been buzzing with all this stuff and it just feels good to get it out and see it so I can hold myself accountable!

Ronda

ps Didn't mean to be all about me...

@ Brian...how's the knee?  You started pt right?
@ Tom...great race results...sounds like you did really good! 
@ everybody else...hope you are having a great week...keep up the good work.

2010-05-20 10:57 AM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Ronda,

Do not apologize for venting or making something all about you, it is cool and welcome here.  Think of it as the "Trust Tree" you can say, do or feel whatever is on your mind! 

Yesterday is history, don't pine on it.  It happens to everyone.  I drank beer and ate ribs all last weekend adn didn't do a single workout.  I got my nutrition back on track monday morning and all is well.  You can't do anything about what you did yesterday, however you can do something about today and tomorrow.

My knee is feeling exponentinally better, I'd say 85% right now.  My physical therapist is working wonders and teaching more and more about this injury and how to prevent it in the future.  She wants me to race on Sunday, and I am going to give it a go.  Right now, I think i can get through the run, I won't push it and will back off if I experience pain, but I'm in, and now excited.  

Had a killer swim this morning.  Coach had us doing 25 & 50 intervals on the clock (:30's & :60's).  We pushed 2 miles today, over 3300 yards in just over an hour.  It was brutal, but I feel great that I was able to get through it and kept up with the group.   

Heading out for a bike this evening to test the knee. I haven't been on the bike in well over a week.  I will not attempt to run until Sunday's race.
2010-05-20 6:43 PM
in reply to: #2871041

mchubri` - 2010-05-20 10:57 AM Ronda,

Do not apologize for venting or making something all about you, it is cool and welcome here.  Think of it as the "Trust Tree" you can say, do or feel whatever is on your mind! 

Trust tree made me lol! Thanks. 

My knee is feeling exponentinally better, I'd say 85% right now.  My physical therapist is working wonders and teaching more and more about this injury and how to prevent it in the future.  She wants me to race on Sunday, and I am going to give it a go.  Right now, I think i can get through the run, I won't push it and will back off if I experience pain, but I'm in, and now excited.  

Yay!!  I'm so glad you get to race!  That's awesome news. 

Had a killer swim this morning.  Coach had us doing 25 & 50 intervals on the clock (:30's & :60's).  We pushed 2 miles today, over 3300 yards in just over an hour.  It was brutal, but I feel great that I was able to get through it and kept up with the group.   

Fun!  How many 25's and 50's?  I love those so much better than all out 100's...especially in a 25m pool...the fact that you think you're at the end and no, flip and keep going, flip and keep going, flip and keep going kills my spirit!  I'm jealous, I totally want to join a masters but the closest group to me meets at a really bad time for me.  I'm thinking of just doing a month here and a month there with them so I only have to commit to 4 weeks at a time of making the times...they are in the early evening an I need early morning or late pm.

Heading out for a bike this evening to test the knee. I haven't been on the bike in well over a week.  I will not attempt to run until Sunday's race.

Hope you have a great ride. 
2010-05-20 7:35 PM

User image

Veteran
@Ronda - I know EXACTLY how you feel!  It's the reason I haven't been on much this week!  I felt like I didn't have anything good to report, so it wasn't really worth it, but you made me realize that we all go through rough times!

I did a mud run last Friday...it was AWESOME (pics are on my blog...I was trying to win the best mud award!).  My leg bothered me a little, but it wasn't horrible because we had to stop a lot to get through the obstacles.  I led my group in the Couch to 5K program this week...again a little soreness with the leg, but not horrible.  Then today, I tried a short run on my own...HOLY CRAP...I think I may need to go to the doctor, but I REALLY don't want to!  I'm not sure what's going on.  I thought it was stress fractures, but it's more in the muscle...it feels like the whole inner calf muscle is in a big knot.  I'm having to limp to run...NOT GOOD!

My swimming has gotten a little better, but I still feel like I'm making no progress.  It's just so frustrating,  I haven't been watching my food this past week either!  I just have to pick myself up and figure out how to keep going!!! 
2010-05-20 11:16 PM

Crissy,

I am sorry to hear your leg is not doing so well.  Maybe the dr would be a good thing so they can plan an active recovery for you.  I think its totally awesome that you are leading this couch to 5k group.  Its very giving of you to help others like that.  I wish we had someone like you in my area, we have running groups but, uh I think the slowest running group for beginners is 11-12 minute miles....I would be left in the dust in the first 1/4 mile.

Congrats on the mud run!  I did my first ever 5k and it was a mud run in late April, it was totally fun and I appreciated the breaks at the obstacles.  I'm actually trying to convince my brother to do another on on his 31st birthday in Aug...I mean, its perfect right?  31 and 3.1 miles.  Its fate, he has to do it.

I hope your leg gets better quick! 

Ronda
2010-05-21 9:26 AM
in reply to: #2872477

User image

Expert
NW NJ
crisi13 - 2010-05-20 8:35 PM @Ronda - I know EXACTLY how you feel!  It's the reason I haven't been on much this week!  I felt like I didn't have anything good to report, so it wasn't really worth it, but you made me realize that we all go through rough times!

I did a mud run last Friday...it was AWESOME (pics are on my blog...I was trying to win the best mud award!).  My leg bothered me a little, but it wasn't horrible because we had to stop a lot to get through the obstacles.  I led my group in the Couch to 5K program this week...again a little soreness with the leg, but not horrible.  Then today, I tried a short run on my own...HOLY CRAP...I think I may need to go to the doctor, but I REALLY don't want to!  I'm not sure what's going on.  I thought it was stress fractures, but it's more in the muscle...it feels like the whole inner calf muscle is in a big knot.  I'm having to limp to run...NOT GOOD!

My swimming has gotten a little better, but I still feel like I'm making no progress.  It's just so frustrating,  I haven't been watching my food this past week either!  I just have to pick myself up and figure out how to keep going!!! 

Chrissy, PLEASE SEE A DR. BEFORE YOU MAKE IT WORSE!  Especially if you think it is a stress fracture! 

Lets pick you up right now!  Let us help!  Do you have a plan/schedule next week, or even this weekend?  Maybe stay away from running, plan a swim?  a Bike?  Plan out some meals for the weekend, plan out some healthy lunches for the work week.  Maybe plan a nice dinner date  on Saturday with your husband, cook up something Nutritious and Delicious for the both of you?  Need recepies?  I have tons under the "Delicious & Nutritious" category! 

2010-05-21 10:57 AM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
I agree w/ others Chrissi, get yourself to the doc.  Don't make it worse.  And how cool that you lead your group of runners.  I think the reason a lot of people don't get into active sports is their fear of how others might view them.  I know from personal experience that its very nerve wracking to join a running group, a group ride, or master's swimming because you fear you're too much of a newbie.  I still have yet to do anything with a group, expecpt for a few rides and swims with one friend who knows my fitness level.  It just seems very intimidating to join up.  So its so awesome that you are offering your group a chance to run without feeling like everyone's sizing each other up.  Well done!

I did a 'Jungle Mud' run last night.  It was a 4 miler with two mud bogs (about calf deep), single track trails, a few gaps you had to jump over, rocks throughout, and one crazy insane steep 15 foot incline up a berm.  I finished it in 42:38, which I was really happy about.  I'm shooting to do 10 min/miles in my A Olympic triathlon in late June, and knowing that I almost hit that goal on a 4 mile run with crazy obstacles really boosted my confidence.  I'm glad to hear others have enjoyed them as much as I have lately.

Hope everyone's Friday is good!
2010-05-21 8:45 PM

@ Brian and the rest of the gang...I gotta tell you this mentor group thing is the best!  Just reading the responses to Crissy's (and mine and other's too)  struggles is so encouraging.  You guys rock!  Brian, thanks for offering your time and experience to lead us.

So today I decided to tackle the same run I did yesterday...3.4 miles...goal was to do it in 51 minutes.  Left the house at 4:46...walked back in at...5:37....how freaking weird yet awesome is that???  My husband went with me and he thought for sure we would be under 50 minutes but man, that last mile, my walking breaks were a little more frequent and they were pretty slow, but this is the first time I've ran so many miles in two days!  I cannot believe my legs weren't even sore!  In Jan. when I started this whole crazy idea, I could barely jog 60 seconds and it hurt sooo bad.  Today I prolly jogged over 2/3rds of the total distance with  some walks sprinkled in here and there.  The thing I'm happiest about tho, is the runs were longer in distance than yesterday...instead of a lot of short runs and short walks, today I tried for longer runs before I walked.  I am definitely a slow poke jogger but its ok, I can live with that as long as I'm jogging. 

Next big goal...if I lose 20 more lbs I get my garmin I want so bad! 

Ronda

Ps You know how there's all that talk on the tri talk board about slower running to get faster?  I hope that's true because I have the slow part mastered! Tongue out  I don't think you can run any slower than I am, but I can keep talking the whole time I'm doing it so I think that's good.

2010-05-22 10:10 AM

User image

Veteran
So, I went to the doctor yesterday...I feel like it was a waste of time!  He wasn't sure what was going on, so he sent me for an ultrasound and some blood work.  I won't hear back from the blood work for a while, but the ultra sound lady said everything looked good...good blood flow and no tears that she could see.  The doctor also mentioned that he wanted me to get tested for compartment syndrome (a really HORRIBLE issue), but from everything I've read and from talking to the ultrasound lady, that seems a little far fetched.  I'm going to start my own physical therapy program for a few weeks.  If it doesn't get any better, than I'll go to one of the sports medicine guys the doctor recommended and get the test for CS done.  
My plan for PT is to follow RICE religiously, NO running/fast walking AT ALL for 1 month, lots of ibuprofen, calf strengthening and flexibility training.  I'm working on an workout plan to up swimming and biking to take over for the lack of running.  I may try to do some water running after a couple of weeks before trying to hit the trail again.  I'm also working on a food plan today...I'll post more on that later!

Thanks for all of the motivation...it's so easy to just stop everything when you have an injury...you guys are great at reminding me that...I don't have to or need to give up...I can still do plenty of other things!!

2010-05-22 10:18 AM

User image

Veteran
@Nole/Ronda - I so enjoy my group...they are an amazing bunch!  Right now, I have 5 people that are severely overweight and out of shape...we started Week 3 of the Couch to 5K program last week and they rocked it!  The determination they bring to every workout would put most professional triathletes to shame!

@Nole -  The Jungle mud run sounds awesome and congrats on the great time!!  I'm sure you'll smoke your triathlon!!!

@Ronda - Great job with the running!  Don't worry about being slow...you'll get better with time, I PROMISE!!!!  One day, you'll just notice that you're going further and you feel GREAT!!  

@Brian - Thanks for the kick in the butt...I'll post info on my workout/diet plan in a bit!

I hope everyone is having a great workout weekend!!!!  Thanks again for all of the motivation! 
2010-05-22 12:08 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus
unexpected day off for me.  I had to put my 12 year old dog down today.  sad. Cry

2010-05-22 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2875565

User image

Veteran
Robin...I am soooooo sorry to hear that!  We lost one of our babies last August so I totally understand how you feel.  I know this doesn't really make it better, but you have to think that at least there's no more pain.  I'm thinking about you!!!  Laughing
2010-05-22 5:44 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus
Well, I lied.  I didn't take the day off.  After the dh and kids left to go to the gym, and I was stuck in a lonely house, I cut the grass and decided to do a brick.  I only biked half of what I was scheduled for today, but wanted to get something in.  Followed up my ride with a 2 mile run.  The neighborhood looks different now. 

I've come to the conclusion there are two things in life that take me out of my funk when I feel down-a cold, wet nose of a pet and exercise.  I felt great mentally and emotionally while I was out today, but when I walked into the house I wanted to go run 10 more miles for avoidance. 

Thanks for letting me vent and grieve to all of you. 
2010-05-23 12:51 PM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
Robin, I am so sorry for you and your family.  Such a bummer.

Great job on the brick today!
2010-05-23 8:46 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus
-scream of frustration-

Can't this weekend be over yet??????  I just found out from some local BT friends of mine that the company setting up my first tri (Komen tri for the cure) is closing up shop and cancelling all their races!!!!!  Already paid, hoping to get a refund, need to look for another to substitute.  I have worked to hard for this!!!

Losing my motivation very quickly...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27