BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-06-07 6:56 AM
in reply to: #2903831

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: amschrod's mentor group - FULL
wbayek - 2010-06-06 6:38 PM Good job on the weight Paula.  Don't sweat the lunch, it's good to moderate.

I agree on warm weather runs.  Over 80 is quite hot for us up here in NH, so at that temp I'm already planning my 5:00 AM runs!  But if I'm stuck running in the heat I drink way more water than normal.

Jay - Good to hear you got the run in without pain.

Did I mention I had my first 10 hour tri week this past week!  Seems like a bit of a milestone.  I'm still waiting for speed to find me, but that will come.

A 10 hour training week is a big deal. Congrats! Keep up with that volume consistently and you're right, the speed will come.

2010-06-07 7:33 AM
in reply to: #2903984

User image

Expert
scott1223 - 2010-06-06 8:23 PM Great job Paula!  I found out this weekend that running in high humidity and heat is more difficult.  It takes alot more effort and water. 

Went out this morning with a group who are also doing the Sprint.  We rode the course and then ran it.  I will admit I was out of gas by the time I hit the run.  The course is very HILLY  and not to make excuses, which I can come up with TONS!  the heat did the most damage.  The bike course is awesome, rolling with one major climb, but nothing too sever.

The run on the other hand is very challenging.  I am not sure we ran the right course (and I hope we didn't) but the trail around the lake is hilly.  I know now what I am up against and will be able (should be??) to conserve some energy for the run.  I hope it isn't as hot and humid as today, but with my luck it will be hotter.

Keep training everyone and I hope you guys had a great weekend!

That's great that you were able to get out on the course so that you are familiar with it. Since it was hot, do you think you drank enough on the bike? You never know, it may not be quite as hot on race day because you will be starting a couple of hours earlier.

That was a good training day. Well done!
2010-06-07 11:19 AM
in reply to: #2774068

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
I am will remain hopeful that it will not be as hot.  I did drink while on the bike course, but when I done I finished off about 3/4 full second water bottle, right before I ran.  While I was running I could feel as well as hear the water in my stomach.  I did get a little nauseated and had to walk until that feeling passed.  I do not want that during a race...would not be a good kodak moment...lol.

Edited by scott1223 2010-06-07 11:21 AM
2010-06-07 3:36 PM
in reply to: #2905272

User image

Expert
scott1223 - 2010-06-07 12:19 PM I am will remain hopeful that it will not be as hot.  I did drink while on the bike course, but when I done I finished off about 3/4 full second water bottle, right before I ran.  While I was running I could feel as well as hear the water in my stomach.  I did get a little nauseated and had to walk until that feeling passed.  I do not want that during a race...would not be a good kodak moment...lol.

Hey Scott, were you reading my mind? I wanted to talk about this because nutrition and hydration is something you have to practice. I know exactly how you felt because I also do not like much in my stomach when I'm running. I also have trouble drinking during a run, and I don't seem to need much water on the run.

Here's what works for me for hydration. First of all, I try to always stay well hydrated every day, training or not. Not to get too graphic, but your urine should always be a nice straw color. I hope that's not too graphic! On race day, I try to do more drinking early on the bike, rather than later. This way I avoid that nauseous, sloshing feeling you got. Maybe you could do another brick before your race to see how that works for you. The run doesn't have to be long; one mile is plenty to see how you feel.

Nutrition is another story. For me personally I do not take in any calories during a sprint or even an oly. I am a little weird though, because I can get up in the morning, have a glass of water, and then do 2 or 3 hours on the bike drinking only water. If you want some calories, say a gel or something like that, I would also suggest to have it early on the bike, or maybe even during T2.

Again, this is what works for me, so your mileage may vary. That's why I suggest to practice in training.

I hope that is of some help! Please feel free to ask me more.

Anthony
2010-06-08 5:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Thanks Anthony,  I am going back out on the course either Sat or Sun.  I love riding the course, it is awesome. Even after the race I will be going back out in Howard County to ride, anyway I agree with you.  I don't know what I was thinking, slaming the rest of my water right before I ran...ugh!

I try to stay on top of my hydration everyday, drinking approx. 1/2 to a 1gal of water daily, depending on my schedule.  For the ride I did have a mixture of gatoraid and water also.  I will try a gel on my practice brick this weekend maybe as we are towards the end of the ride will have the gel.

Thanks again and you were not graphic, I have seen graphic and that wasn't it...LOL

Edited by scott1223 2010-06-08 5:13 AM
2010-06-09 8:16 AM

User image

NH
I'm getting a kick out of reading these discussions on the heat - as I donned my winter hat for my long run this morning as the thermometer read 41.6 when I started!

2010-06-09 8:45 AM
in reply to: #2910348

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
Believe it or not, it actually smelled like winter last night!! 
2010-06-09 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2907411

User image

Expert
scott1223 - 2010-06-08 6:09 AM Thanks Anthony,  I am going back out on the course either Sat or Sun.  I love riding the course, it is awesome. Even after the race I will be going back out in Howard County to ride, anyway I agree with you.  I don't know what I was thinking, slaming the rest of my water right before I ran...ugh!

That is great that you get to practice so much on the course; I always do better on a course that I am familiar with. Good thing you you found out about slamming the water during training and not at a race.

I try to stay on top of my hydration everyday, drinking approx. 1/2 to a 1gal of water daily, depending on my schedule.  For the ride I did have a mixture of gatoraid and water also.  I will try a gel on my practice brick this weekend maybe as we are towards the end of the ride will have the gel.

Excellent! Practice in training to find out what works for you, and then "nothing new on race day." Please note that I emphasized "for you", because everyone is different.

Thanks again and you were not graphic, I have seen graphic and that wasn't it...LOL

I guess I shouldn't worry about it considering there is plenty of discussion on this site about peeing in the wet suit, or even on the bike Took me 3 years before I managed to go in my wetsuit, and I doubt I ever will on the bike!

Anthony
2010-06-09 11:51 AM
in reply to: #2910348

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-06-09 9:16 AM I'm getting a kick out of reading these discussions on the heat - as I donned my winter hat for my long run this morning as the thermometer read 41.6 when I started!

I hear you,; 45 for my ride this morning! I had to dig out tights and a long sleeve jersey.
2010-06-09 12:05 PM
in reply to: #2910984

User image

Oklahoma
amschrod - 2010-06-09 11:51 AM
wbayek - 2010-06-09 9:16 AM I'm getting a kick out of reading these discussions on the heat - as I donned my winter hat for my long run this morning as the thermometer read 41.6 when I started!

I hear you,; 45 for my ride this morning! I had to dig out tights and a long sleeve jersey.

Well, it is hot here now (lows in 70s, highs 90s), but I am thankful for our mild winters!  That's why we have spring marathons down here.
2010-06-10 6:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
We ran in a Torch Run for the Maryland Special Olympics yesterday afternoon.  The weather was great, overcast a little drizzle 70, but as always in Maryland still humid.  I know you guys in the northeast do not have that issue this time of year. 

Our leg of the race was 2.5mi, but wanted to get in training so I did a second leg (2.3mi) plus everyone ran the beginning and ending leg which ended up being another 1/2 total.  It was fun running with a large group.  The best part was actually getting paid to train...yeah!  and also helping out a special cause.

Looking at getting in an OWS this weekend, trying out the wetsuit.  

It looks our group has races scheduled for the next 3 weekends. Great Job!! Looking forward to reading the race reports. 

2010-06-10 8:12 AM

User image

NH
Good luck with the wetsuit Scott.  I feel like a cork sometimes with mine, but it does cover up a lot of balance issues!

Also, thanks for volunteering with the Special Olympics.  If you've checked my profile pictures you may know that my youngest, the 8 year old, has Down syndrome so that's an organization close to my heart.  Jeremiah is my inspiration in that he works so hard to do things that come naturally and easily to other kids.  His life is a lot like my triathlon journey: he has to work crazy hard but he'll still never out achieve other kids in the normal, measurable ways, but he and I  know the truth!

Good luck with all the races coming up folks.
2010-06-11 1:19 PM
in reply to: #2912647

User image

Expert
scott1223 - 2010-06-10 7:58 AM We ran in a Torch Run for the Maryland Special Olympics yesterday afternoon.  The weather was great, overcast a little drizzle 70, but as always in Maryland still humid.  I know you guys in the northeast do not have that issue this time of year. 

Our leg of the race was 2.5mi, but wanted to get in training so I did a second leg (2.3mi) plus everyone ran the beginning and ending leg which ended up being another 1/2 total.  It was fun running with a large group.  The best part was actually getting paid to train...yeah!  and also helping out a special cause.

Well, that was certainly a good day at work! And it really was for an excellent special cause.

Looking at getting in an OWS this weekend, trying out the wetsuit.

Your first swim in the wetsuit will be interesting. For me, since I have some trouble with my hips sinking, the wetsuit really makes a difference. It almost feels like I am swimming down hill. 

It looks our group has races scheduled for the next 3 weekends. Great Job!! Looking forward to reading the race reports. 

Absolutely! Lots of fun in the next few weeks!

Anthony
2010-06-11 1:28 PM
in reply to: #2912808

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-06-10 9:12 AM Good luck with the wetsuit Scott.  I feel like a cork sometimes with mine, but it does cover up a lot of balance issues!

Couldn't agree with you more, and in salt water you feel even more like a cork. Plus, all of a sudden, balance and body position are good.

Also, thanks for volunteering with the Special Olympics.  If you've checked my profile pictures you may know that my youngest, the 8 year old, has Down syndrome so that's an organization close to my heart.  Jeremiah is my inspiration in that he works so hard to do things that come naturally and easily to other kids.  His life is a lot like my triathlon journey: he has to work crazy hard but he'll still never out achieve other kids in the normal, measurable ways, but he and I  know the truth!

Very well said and inspiring.

Anthony
2010-06-12 11:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Good luck tomorrow Anthony and anyone who is racing this weekend!!!  looking forward to reading your reports.

We ventured out on the course again this am.  Felt sooo much better than last time.  I was actually comfortable and enjoyed the run (I ALWAYS enjoy a good bike ride)  I sucked down a hammer gel about 1.5mi before the run.  I didn't drink a bottle of water before, so I am not sure if the gel made me feel better or not drinking a bottle of water before the run.  In any case I will stick with what worked today for race day.

Very inspiring, Warren I did not know that about your son. We support the Special Olympics every year.  Great cause for great kids!  true athletes.
2010-06-12 8:47 PM
in reply to: #2917407

User image

Expert
scott1223 - 2010-06-12 12:42 PM Good luck tomorrow Anthony and anyone who is racing this weekend!!!  looking forward to reading your reports.

Thanks! I am feeling good.

We ventured out on the course again this am.  Felt sooo much better than last time.  I was actually comfortable and enjoyed the run (I ALWAYS enjoy a good bike ride)  I sucked down a hammer gel about 1.5mi before the run.  I didn't drink a bottle of water before, so I am not sure if the gel made me feel better or not drinking a bottle of water before the run.  In any case I will stick with what worked today for race day.

Excellent! Great practice for your race. You had a good ride, and your run pace was really good as well.

Anthony

2010-06-13 8:32 AM

User image

Wilmington NC
Hey guys
   I found some great deals on running and cycling gear at http://www.sierratradingpost.com/DeptBargainBarn.aspx

my running shoes were about half off- only$55!  They always have a bunch of good stuff but not always at these great prices.  Bike nashbar has had a lot of good sales recently.
Just thought I would pass along some savings- sale ends tomorrow though.
Keep up all the good work, i have been a slacker this week, no sleep, company in town and getting sick UGHHH
Hope next week brings better things
P
2010-06-13 6:15 PM
in reply to: #2918255

User image

Expert
Roadtoad22 - 2010-06-13 9:32 AM Hey guys
   I found some great deals on running and cycling gear at http://www.sierratradingpost.com/DeptBargainBarn.aspx

my running shoes were about half off- only$55!  They always have a bunch of good stuff but not always at these great prices.  Bike nashbar has had a lot of good sales recently.
Just thought I would pass along some savings- sale ends tomorrow though.

Thanks for the link! I already found a pretty good deal on some tights for next Winter, and I will poke around a little more later to see what else I can find.

Keep up all the good work, i have been a slacker this week, no sleep, company in town and getting sick UGHHH
Hope next week brings better things
P

Illness, company, and lack of sleep are pretty good reasons for slacking off, but you better get back to it this week

Anthony
2010-06-13 8:10 PM
in reply to: #2918868

User image

Expert
I had a great day at my 10K today. My goal was to break 52 minutes, and I ran a 51:39 and felt strong throughout the whole race. Plus, my 22 year old son did the 5K which was his first ever race, and his girlfriend did the 10K. Here is a picture of the 3 of us after the race:

As you can see from the mistiness, it was pretty humid, close to 100%, but the temp stayed low at about 70 degrees, so it was a good day for a race. My son doesn't actually run, so last Tuesday he ran 2 miles, called me up and asked if he should do any more running before the race. Still, with hardly any training, he ran the whole 5K with a time of a little more than 30 minutes.

2010-06-14 9:44 AM

User image

NH
Awesome deal Anthony, great race!  And it looks like a blast to have your son running it too.  Hitting goals is great.  I have to learn how to set my goals properly and enjoy hitting them.

Other than the Jets shirt, everything looks great!  Smile

Edited by wbayek 2010-06-14 1:16 PM
2010-06-15 6:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Great Job Anthony actually beating your time.  Ahhh...to be 22yrs young again!  I wish I would have started training back then and stayed with it.  Has your son started swimming and biking yet? 

You said it was humid for your race, did that effect your breathing?  I've noticed when running in the sauna (Maryland weather) it takes longer to catch my breath.

Congrats again on a strong race!

2010-06-15 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2919979

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-06-14 10:44 AM Awesome deal Anthony, great race!  And it looks like a blast to have your son running it too.  Hitting goals is great.  I have to learn how to set my goals properly and enjoy hitting them.

Thanks! It was great having him there. I usually have 2 goals for every race. First a realistic but hard goal where things have to go well and I have to execute everything well to hit it. I also have a "stretch" goal where it just has to be one of those days where you are just in the "zone" AND you execute everything perfectly. I generally keep my stretch goal to myself, and I've only hit it once.

Other than the Jets shirt, everything looks great!  Smile

Why, you don't like tank tops?

Edited by amschrod 2010-06-15 12:40 PM
2010-06-15 12:47 PM
in reply to: #2922040

User image

Expert
scott1223 - 2010-06-15 7:02 AM Great Job Anthony actually beating your time.  Ahhh...to be 22yrs young again!  I wish I would have started training back then and stayed with it.  Has your son started swimming and biking yet?

I'm working ion him! He's shown some interest in riding, and I have a "spare" road bike that fits him, but he hasn't shown any interest in swimming.

You said it was humid for your race, did that effect your breathing?  I've noticed when running in the sauna (Maryland weather) it takes longer to catch my breath.

My breathing was a little labored the last mile or 2 when I was really pushing myself, but luckily it was cool enough that it wasn't too bad. At this same race a few years ago both the temp and the humidity were in the 90's and my time was a good 10 minutes slower than usual. So yes, the humidity and heat can really have a major effect.

Congrats again on a strong race!

Thank you very much.
2010-06-15 4:22 PM
in reply to: #2923090

User image

NH
amschrod - 2010-06-15 1:39 PM I usually have 2 goals for every race. First a realistic but hard goal where things have to go well and I have to execute everything well to hit it. I also have a "stretch" goal where it just has to be one of those days where you are just in the "zone" AND you execute everything perfectly. I generally keep my stretch goal to myself, and I've only hit it once.

Thanks Anthony.  I think I have some goals for this weekend.  It was a little tough since:
  1. It's not a big race for me and I'm training for long course, not speed.
  2. The bike course is apparently quite dastardly according to a few folks I've talked to - only 5% of the riders have been 19+ on this 12 mile course the past 2 years.
  3. The run course is a lot of trail run with stumps, roots, etc.
  4. I know my transitions will be slow given that I'm practicing my 70.3 transition plan.  I'm wearing socks, changing shorts and shirts, using my comfy cycling shoes.
Ok, so now that all my excuses are in place - the whole thing worked out to 1:21:01 (Yes, the 1 second counts and yes, I'm a type A, at least for triathlon!).  So I'm on record.

It does sounds like it will be a lot of fun, and it's a very small event.
2010-06-16 6:38 PM
in reply to: #2919070

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
Anthony:

Congratulations on your race time!  Happy for you that you can share the adventure with your son and his girlfriend....makes it that much more rewarding.

Dan
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24