BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2011-02-08 7:24 AM
in reply to: #3257135

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group - CLOSED
After a lot of missed training sessions last week (life interferes w even the best plans sometimes), I think I'm back on track.   I had a good bike/run workout early Sunday am & got in a quick swim that afternoon.  This morning was a group swim workout & I got just about all my 100 splits under 2:30 - whoo hoo!  (I felt even better about that until I realized that I probably was drafting a bit on the fastest laps - I led the last 100 & it was way slower than our average time...  still, a good workout.)  Getting under 2:30/100 was a major swim milestone for me; now on to 2:20...

I think the miniscule amount of core work I'm getting in is actually making a difference in all the sports, so I hope to do more of that this week. 

glad to see everyone starting to post more often again!  I always look forward to hearing how everyone's training is going when I update my log. 

2011-02-08 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3342321

User image

NH
greenhousevt - 2011-02-06 10:43 PM 48 days until my Spring Fling run -- a 5K or a 10K? According to my 'couch' plan, I will be a week shy of having built up to a 10K. But I've been running on a treadmill lately, so perhaps need to see what it feels like on a real track again this week.

IRON MAN CHALLENGE 1/16 - 2/13/11 
Swim - 2.4 miles (4225 yards): -- opting out --
Bike - 112 miles: 67 miles done/45 miles to go
Run -26.2 miles: 26.2 miles done/0 miles to go 

It's been pretty quiet on the blog lately. Are we all too busy either raking the roof or playing in the snow?
Kim 

When do you have to decide on the 5k or 10k?  I think you should definitely wait and see hoe it is running outside, and decide as late as possible.
2011-02-09 5:38 AM
in reply to: #3341322

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Lovey - 2011-02-06 9:37 AM

Is it spring yet?!!

Long run seemed so long. Had to do alot of walking around ice patches dropping my pace from a 12.4 to much much slower.
I saw a few people running thru it but I was slipping so I didn't think it was worth falling. I walked thru it.
I took a side road around some of it but it was so lopsided, the outside of my foot started hurting.

Can't wait for sprinG.

Bummed right now. The pain in the outside of my foot has gotten better but not gone away. The slant in the road was really bad and we got off as soon as possible but 2 miles was 2 long. Monday I walked around with a limp. Tuesday slightly but at the end of the day no limping. I would get pain if istepped wrong. I skiped my run last night and went to my PT.

She said it was a muscle strain deep in the center of my foot. She taped it and it feels better to walk on it. She recommended:
-- rest for a day or two (counting from day of her visit)
--go for a long walk, if no issues, run/walk, if still no issues then I can run.
--If my leg feels well and I attempt the 20 miler, reassess at 10-12 miles. Any discomfort, call it a day.
--think about doing my 20 miler the weekend of the 19th instead of this weekend, the 12th. Do a shorter run.

So bummed!!

Lovey
2011-02-09 5:49 AM
in reply to: #3346354

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Lovey - 2011-02-08 6:38 PM
Lovey - 2011-02-06 9:37 AM Is it spring yet?!! Long run seemed so long. Had to do alot of walking around ice patches dropping my pace from a 12.4 to much much slower. I saw a few people running thru it but I was slipping so I didn't think it was worth falling. I walked thru it. I took a side road around some of it but it was so lopsided, the outside of my foot started hurting. Can't wait for sprinG.
Bummed right now. The pain in the outside of my foot has gotten better but not gone away. The slant in the road was really bad and we got off as soon as possible but 2 miles was 2 long. Monday I walked around with a limp. Tuesday slightly but at the end of the day no limping. I would get pain if istepped wrong. I skiped my run last night and went to my PT. She said it was a muscle strain deep in the center of my foot. She taped it and it feels better to walk on it. She recommended: -- rest for a day or two (counting from day of her visit) --go for a long walk, if no issues, run/walk, if still no issues then I can run. --If my leg feels well and I attempt the 20 miler, reassess at 10-12 miles. Any discomfort, call it a day. --think about doing my 20 miler the weekend of the 19th instead of this weekend, the 12th. Do a shorter run. So bummed!! Lovey

Sorry to hear about that Lovey - but 1) at least you know it's not something more serious (like a stress fracture), 2) you know what caused it so you can avoid that in the future and 3) you have a well laid out plan for rehab!

With feet/knee/joint issues - swimming is a great option to continue working on your fitness without taxing your body as much as running does.

Best of luck and take it easy!
2011-02-09 12:48 PM
in reply to: #3346354

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area

Bummed right now. The pain in the outside of my foot has gotten better but not gone away. The slant in the road was really bad and we got off as soon as possible but 2 miles was 2 long. Monday I walked around with a limp. Tuesday slightly but at the end of the day no limping. I would get pain if istepped wrong. I skiped my run last night and went to my PT.

She said it was a muscle strain deep in the center of my foot. She taped it and it feels better to walk on it. She recommended:
--go for a long walk, if no issues, run/walk, if still no issues then I can run.
--If my leg feels well and I attempt the 20 miler, reassess at 10-12 miles. Any discomfort, call it a day.
--think about doing my 20 miler the weekend of the 19th instead of this weekend, the 12th. Do a shorter run.

So bummed!!

Lovey

BTW, I wore my running shoes I used to the PT. She said she couldn’t tell how worn down the left side of my shoe was before the run but it is worn down now with only 173 miles. She said I can still use it for my short runs (mine are 5-6 miles) but NOT to use it on my long runs especially my 20 miler. I need more support. Good thing I keep back up pairs.

I pulled out my back up pair along with my otc support insoles I use.
2011-02-09 12:48 PM
in reply to: #3347211

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Lovey - 2011-02-09 1:48 PM

So bummed!!

BTW, I wore my running shoes I used to the PT. She said she couldn’t tell how worn down the left side of my shoe was before the run but it is worn down now with only 173 miles. She said I can still use it for my short runs (mine are 5-6 miles) but NOT to use it on my long runs especially my 20 miler. I need more support. Good thing I keep back up pairs.

2011-02-09 12:49 PM
in reply to: #3347213

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
So bummed!!

2011-02-10 8:21 AM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Hello Frozen teammates!

Nice to see a little sunshine here today although I think we are still in the 20s outside.  I am hoping to run mid day when it's warmest.

I need some advice.  This year I REALLY want to do a HIM.  I am hoping for something in the fall.  My youngest heads to college this year so I thought about doing something later in the season when it was quieter.  My husband teaches though so he can't really get away once school starts and he wants to be there for the race.

So, I have been mapping out the training plan if I did PumpkinMan.  It looks like my peak week would be the second full week in August.  I think this would work in terms of getting my daughter off to school later in the month.  I have read some of the race reports from last year and it seems to be a nice race.  So, my questions.....

Does it sell out?  If so when should I register by?
The field is small at 550.  Does it get lonely or do the loops help you see other racers?
Is the bike on roads or some sort of path that is closed to traffic?

Yak! I am soooo nervous about it.  I know that 2 of this group are planning on this race so it would really help me to train together virtually and see you at the race.

I can be such a wimp!  thanks for your thoughts

Edited by KOM 2011-02-10 8:23 AM
2011-02-10 8:37 AM

User image

Morristown, NJ
It's too cold for me to get outside, but have made it to the gym 3 times this week so far for treadmill and bike.  I like them better than being freezing.  So far an improvement over the past few weeks.  I hit the pool on Saturday.
2011-02-10 9:32 AM

sorry to hear about your injury lovely.   Hope it heals swiftly.  Running outside before spring not sure that I would be that motivated.
Thanks everyone for the encouragement after my son's diagnoses.  We are still waiting for phone calls so nothing has been done yet.  Still working with him on my own.  

I have been doing something nearly daily as far as excerise goes.   My boyfriend has been very supportive.  
I seen a training to run a 10k at my gym on Wednesday nights starting in April,  I may sign up for that.
Swimming lessons are still going well.
2011-02-10 11:57 AM

User image

Regular
swim euphoria short lived.  today's workout included a 13x100 pyramid & none of my 100s hit my goal of <2:30.  I guess progress isn't always straight-line. 

I really seemed to be sinking (seriously, going underwater) whenever I breathed on the right.  I need to figure out what I'm doing differently on that side.  I know that people are typically less efficient on one side vs the other, but sinking?  I typically breathe every 3 (still too inefficient to make any progress breathing every stroke & bilateral breathing is usually pretty comfortable).  If anyone has any thoughts on what to check, pls let me know!

--Susan, I'm with you on working out inside when it's this cold!  (Though if we got another decent snow, I plan to take Kathy's (& other's) recommendation on giving a slow run in the snow a try.)

--Tara, I hope to try & run with a group this Spring, too - it really helps me to train with a group.  Way to keep getting workouts in.  Also hope you get some good info/insight soon re your son. 

2011-02-10 12:13 PM
in reply to: #3348376

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
KOM - 2011-02-09 9:21 PM

The field is small at 550.  Does it get lonely or do the loops help you see other racers?

Yak! I am soooo nervous about it.  I know that 2 of this group are planning on this race so it would really help me to train together virtually and see you at the race.

Hey Kathy - I am planning on doing this race and have actually plunked down the $$ so I can't talk myself out of it. I don't know if it sells out or not but....Warren did the Pumpkinman HIM last year and is doing the Sprint this year (so he might know about selling out) and I volunteered (so I could get the lay of the land).

It is a very well run race. Great location, fairly flat course, extremely well volunteered (for the bike route - which is where I was, there was at least two volunteers assigned to each turn. Our turn actually had a police officer to stop traffic when the racers had to cross the road). The bike was all on roads - but they are "country roads" - which in Maine means smaller roads, not too much traffic and no shoulder to speak of. The other plus for me is my family can hang out at the start of the swim (there is a facility right on the water including a restaurant) and play in the lake while I'm out and about.

It would be fantastic if you participated! Any other takers?
2011-02-10 4:46 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Jennifer- I see Kevin (Mainer22) on the BT list of those registered.  I am going to talk with My hub and see what he thinks.

Lovely- Hope your foot is feeling better.

Good job moving forward Tara and Susan.

I had to SIUB (suck it up buttercup) today and just head outside for a run.  I keep thinking if the sun was out it should be warm.  NOT.  Still glad I got out there.
2011-02-10 8:39 PM

User image

St. Clair Shores, MI
Hi Everyone.

Going down to Jacksonville, Florida for a long weekend so I will be out of touch. I am running a 5K on Saturday and hoping to break 30 minutes.  I am going to report my IM stats in now including the 3.1 mile run I will be doing.  Hope you all have a good weekend!

Swim: 2800 meters
Bike: 101 miles
Run: 32.85

Not quite an ironman but close.

2011-02-11 6:07 AM
in reply to: #3349666

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
jgrigg - 2011-02-10 9:39 AM Hi Everyone.

Going down to Jacksonville, Florida for a long weekend so I will be out of touch. I am running a 5K on Saturday and hoping to break 30 minutes.  I am going to report my IM stats in now including the 3.1 mile run I will be doing.  Hope you all have a good weekend!

Swim: 2800 meters
Bike: 101 miles
Run: 32.85

Not quite an ironman but close.

1) jealous...please soak up some of that sun and bring it back up here!
2) Good luck! Have a great day and hope you enjoy the race.
3) Looking good on the ironman!
2011-02-11 9:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area

I walked yesterday and no worries. Standing around for a long time got uncomfortable but that's not unusual for me.
I ran a mile this morning too, no issues.

My PT said to get a new pair for my 20 miler. I wear the Brooks Adrenaline GTS10. I usually have a few pairs in the back of my closet, for instance my short runs are on my Adrenaline GTS 8. I had a lot of those but that was the last one. Anyway, the only back up I have now is the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11. I got it because I had a gift certificate to a running store and they only had the newer models.

When I rotate a new pair in, I usual do it on the short runs for a couple of weeks before I do a long run. Do I run my 20 miler on the newest model that I haven't tried before or go get the same model I am wearing from another store. I always thought its easier breaking in a shoe when it’s the same model. I have worn new shoes on race day (half mary) before but only because it was the same model and I prayed it had no defects.

Thoughts on going with the new GTS 11 or getting the same model I wear now (GTS 10). I did find a store that still has a few in my size.

Lovey

2011-02-11 3:45 PM
in reply to: #3348376

User image

NH
KOM - 2011-02-10 9:21 AM Hello Frozen teammates!
I need some advice.  This year I REALLY want to do a HIM.  I am hoping for something in the fall.  My youngest heads to college this year so I thought about doing something later in the season when it was quieter.  My husband teaches though so he can't really get away once school starts and he wants to be there for the race.

So, I have been mapping out the training plan if I did PumpkinMan.

Pumkinman is a great race for a first half.  The swim is in a very small pond, and it's 2 laps so you get to exit the water halfway through.  The bike is quite flat (for New England) though there are quite a few 90 degree turns.  The bike actually loops for much of the distance, so you do most of the course twice.  And the run is also pretty flat with just a few slight inclines.  The run is also a loop so you see runners the whole time.

The race does sell out, though last year the half sold out pretty late.  You can email Kat (the race director) and she'll tell you how the entry numbers are looking.  The sprint sold out much earlier.  I'm REALLY hoping to volunteer, so that would be awesome to see two of you doing this one!
2011-02-11 8:24 PM

User image

NH
I meant to say the run on the Pumpkinman is an out and back loop, so you see runners the whole time.

On another note, I broke my pinky finger last night.  I was singing at an impromptu jam band session and fell over some drumsticks on the floor.  When I put my hand out to stop the fall, I landed funny on my finger and (look away if you're squeamish!) when I got up my pinky was at a 90 degree angle at the main joint.  I was able to pop it back in, so at first thought it was just a dislocation.  But the xrays today showed there are two fractures right at the joint.  Looks like about 4 weeks in a splint, but really shouldn't affect much other than no swimming at all.

Hope everyone's weekend goes well.
2011-02-11 8:47 PM
in reply to: #3351387

User image

Nevada
wbayek - 2011-02-11 8:24 PM I meant to say the run on the Pumpkinman is an out and back loop, so you see runners the whole time.

On another note, I broke my pinky finger last night.  I was singing at an impromptu jam band session and fell over some drumsticks on the floor.  When I put my hand out to stop the fall, I landed funny on my finger and (look away if you're squeamish!) when I got up my pinky was at a 90 degree angle at the main joint.  I was able to pop it back in, so at first thought it was just a dislocation.  But the xrays today showed there are two fractures right at the joint.  Looks like about 4 weeks in a splint, but really shouldn't affect much other than no swimming at all.

See what happens when you're a well rounded person with interests other than triathlonsTongue out 
2011-02-12 7:38 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
wbayek - 2011-02-11 9:24 AM I meant to say the run on the Pumpkinman is an out and back loop, so you see runners the whole time.

Ouch! Glad to hear it isn't anything more serious. I'm so squeamish, I would have passed out. I'm with Jacks4Life - that's what happens when you go outside of the triathlon group!

We have the US Toboggan National Championships at the local ski resort (about 2 miles from home) this weekend - so the place is HOPPIN'! I've got one of my last long runs before the half mary scheduled for today, it's not too cold so I'm thinking I'll try to do it outside...now to find a route that won't have too much traffic!

I was talking with a friend yesterday about how we get through the winter running and I am curious - what is worse to you?
1) running outside on slush/sand/salt/melted snow
2) running in bitter cold
3) running on the treadmill
4) running on the track
5) running on ice
2011-02-12 9:20 AM

User image

Regular
wbayek - 2011-02-11 8:24 PM  ...

On another note, I broke my pinky finger last night.  ...  Looks like about 4 weeks in a splint, but really shouldn't affect much other than no swimming at all.

hmm. ..  some people will do anything to get out of swimming in winter...

hope it heals quickly & completely!

2011-02-12 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3351624

User image

NH
itsallrelative_Maine - 2011-02-12 8:38 AM

I was talking with a friend yesterday about how we get through the winter running and I am curious - what is worse to you?
1) running outside on slush/sand/salt/melted snow
2) running in bitter cold
3) running on the treadmill
4) running on the track
5) running on ice

I hate #1.  Wet feet in the winter is awful.  Bitter cold/wind is really just a matter of dressing right.  The few times I've run on the treadmill have actually been fine with me.  I think I've run on a track once, so I can't really comment other than FLAT.  Ice is a close number 2, but as long as it's not everywhere I don't mond a few steps on ice here and there.

alsiedee - 2011-02-12 10:20 AM
wbayek - 2011-02-11 8:24 PM  ...

On another note, I broke my pinky finger last night.  ...  Looks like about 4 weeks in a splint, but really shouldn't affect much other than no swimming at all.

hmm. ..  some people will do anything to get out of swimming in winter...

hope it heals quickly & completely!

Haha.  My "coach" said the exact same thing!  I put coach in quotes because she's really just a friend who got me into the sport and helps me out with training ideas and stuff.  She's the PT from the athletestreatingathletes website.

Everyone be safe and have a great weekend.  I start my new job Monday, so I'll be scoping out some lunch time run routes and maybe finding some running partners.
2011-02-12 11:09 AM
in reply to: #3350161

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Lovey - 2011-02-11 10:19 AM

I walked yesterday and no worries. Standing around for a long time got uncomfortable but that's not unusual for me.
I ran a mile this morning too, no issues.

My PT said to get a new pair for my 20 miler. I wear the Brooks Adrenaline GTS10. I usually have a few pairs in the back of my closet, for instance my short runs are on my Adrenaline GTS 8. I had a lot of those but that was the last one. Anyway, the only back up I have now is the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11. I got it because I had a gift certificate to a running store and they only had the newer models.

When I rotate a new pair in, I usual do it on the short runs for a couple of weeks before I do a long run. Do I run my 20 miler on the newest model that I haven't tried before or go get the same model I am wearing from another store. I always thought its easier breaking in a shoe when it’s the same model. I have worn new shoes on race day (half mary) before but only because it was the same model and I prayed it had no defects.

Thoughts on going with the new GTS 11 or getting the same model I wear now (GTS 10). I did find a store that still has a few in my size.

Lovey

I wore my mew 2011 shoes today. I took my PT advice and kept it really slow and easy. Slight soreness at mile 16 but then eased and only felt it if I walked so I kept a shuffle during the others walk break.

Dist - 19.54 miles
Time - 4:42

Rest and ice the rest of the day.

Lovey
2011-02-12 11:30 AM
in reply to: #3351813

User image

NH
Lovey - 2011-02-12 12:09 PM  I wore my mew 2011 shoes today. I took my PT advice and kept it really slow and easy. Slight soreness at mile 16 but then eased and only felt it if I walked so I kept a shuffle during the others walk break. Dist - 19.54 miles Time - 4:42 Rest and ice the rest of the day. Lovey

Awesome news, your long runs are crazy.  Let us in on the secret race in your future!  You are ready for a marathon methinks.

Edited by wbayek 2011-02-12 11:31 AM
2011-02-12 9:22 PM

User image

Nevada
5k race today. 29:18, about 1:10 of my PR but PR was on a flat fast course. I really need to get over the mental part of the hills. This race started with a one mile climb. 10 minute pace for that. I was really uncomfortable trying to find a pace up the hill. I think I did okay as I passed alot of people after we crested the hill...so maybe they overran or I under ran up the hill.  I have 5 weeks until my triathlon. I thinkI might just run and bike hills until I just don't notice them anymore (if that's possible)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23