of 64

2011-05-01 11:10 AM
in reply to: #3325249

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Subject: RE: Jeff Y's Group - CLOSED

Snot-Rockets:  Thats good stuff!!! Laughing

Finished April with a total just shy of 80 miles.  That is a huge number for me especially with the monsoon that we have been enjoying that prevents riding a bike.  For some reason I just can't get into riding a trainer at the gym.  Probably going to need to suck it up though to get the time in.  Hoping to double the milage and time going into May. 

On a Side note completed my 2nd 5K of April and actually knocked 3 minutes off my time.  For the 1st time in 17 years I ran a 5K under 30 minutes (28'40".  Also set my schedule and paid for registration on several events.  Now I'm committed and there's no turning back.

2011-05-01 12:20 PM
in reply to: #3475827

User image

Veteran
mambos - 2011-05-01 11:10 AM

Finished April with a total just shy of 80 miles.  That is a huge number for me especially with the monsoon that we have been enjoying that prevents riding a bike.  For some reason I just can't get into riding a trainer at the gym.  Probably going to need to suck it up though to get the time in.  Hoping to double the milage and time going into May. 

On a Side note completed my 2nd 5K of April and actually knocked 3 minutes off my time.  For the 1st time in 17 years I ran a 5K under 30 minutes (28'40".  Also set my schedule and paid for registration on several events.  Now I'm committed and there's no turning back.

80 miles, nice, I finished just shy of 57 myself keep it up!

Great time on the 5k I did that length as a training run this morning and came in at 33:50

T-84 days till my sprint.

2011-05-01 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Nice totals guys!  Sometimes the trainer is tough on you mentally.  What you need to do is make sure you have focused workouts to draw your attention away from the mono9tony of spinning.  Spinning is mind numbing and I have done my share of non-focused workouts.  My first winter using a trainer was horrible!!!!  I just got on and rode and spun ans spun and spun and............................  It was mind numbing. 

If I might suggest something, I would use the trainer to begin some HR type of workouts.  You can do something like 3 rides a week that might look like; 1st ride - WU, 5' on mod/hard effort, 3' recovery. 2nd ride - WU, 8' mod effort, 2' recovery.  You can do 4-8 reps or so depending on how hard you make the efforts and how much time you would like to spend.  For the third ride you might try WU, 12' - 15' easy/mod effort, 3' recovery.  The 3rd ride for me each week is my long ride and I keep the intensity a little lower without giving up any quality.  That is what my winter workouts looked like and I have made some fitness gains that were pretty obvious once I was able to get on the road.

Jeff could do a better job of giving some drainer workout though.  Next winter I might try Jorge's winter cycling program, but I have heard those are sufferfests and I am scared like a schoolgirl.

2011-05-01 2:48 PM

User image

NH

Jorge's bike program is awesome.  It is physically and mentally taxing, but as Dirk said it really helps the trainer sessions when you're doing intervals because you can focus for short periods and then recover.  In a basic level, he does one workout of short but very high intensity intervals, one workout of middle length intervals, and one workout with just two or so long intervals, and one optional long ride.

I feel like I nailed my half today: 1:51:14.  The final pace is about 8:29, right where I hoped to be, but I faded badly the last few miles.  After mile 10 I was at 1:24:15, felt pretty strong, and secretly wondered if 1:50 was in range, but no way.  I wasn't sure if it was really fading or the fact that the last 3 miles were right on the coast directly into a truly evil wind.  I wasn't passed much and actually passed quite a few people even though my paces slowed to the 8:45-8:55 range.  Or maybe I just have 10 mile fitness right now!

Edited by wbayek 2011-05-01 3:08 PM
2011-05-01 4:08 PM
in reply to: #3476042

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
wbayek - 2011-05-01 3:48 PM

Jorge's bike program is awesome.  It is physically and mentally taxing, but as Dirk said it really helps the trainer sessions when you're doing intervals because you can focus for short periods and then recover.  In a basic level, he does one workout of short but very high intensity intervals, one workout of middle length intervals, and one workout with just two or so long intervals, and one optional long ride.

I feel like I nailed my half today: 1:51:14.  The final pace is about 8:29, right where I hoped to be, but I faded badly the last few miles.  After mile 10 I was at 1:24:15, felt pretty strong, and secretly wondered if 1:50 was in range, but no way.  I wasn't sure if it was really fading or the fact that the last 3 miles were right on the coast directly into a truly evil wind.  I wasn't passed much and actually passed quite a few people even though my paces slowed to the 8:45-8:55 range.  Or maybe I just have 10 mile fitness right now!

Nice work man!  That's a very respectable time if you ask me.  I pray for 8:45 pace on my sprints.

You other guys, nice work as well...way to start racking up the mileage.  It's what really helps your speed.

I'm heading out for a 60:30 brick.  About 60 degrees out...should be perfect.

Hope you all had an awesome weekend.

2011-05-01 7:33 PM
in reply to: #3476144

User image

Veteran
jgerbodegrant - 2011-05-01 4:08 PM

Nice work man!  That's a very respectable time if you ask me.  I pray for 8:45 pace on my sprints.

You other guys, nice work as well...way to start racking up the mileage.  It's what really helps your speed.

I know what a brick is but what does the 60:30 mean? 60 minute bike and 30 minute run?

2011-05-01 8:07 PM
in reply to: #3476450

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
perdiem - 2011-05-01 8:33 PM
jgerbodegrant - 2011-05-01 4:08 PM

I know what a brick is but what does the 60:30 mean? 60 minute bike and 30 minute run?

Yup...you got it.  Basically all my bike rides an hour and under are 10 min. warmup and a cooldown, so today I did a 10 minute warmup, my 40 min tempo ride at 20 mph, and 10 min cooldown, then easy run 30 minutes at about 10:10 pace.

2011-05-02 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3473882

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Subject: RE: Long run for the week
jgerbodegrant - 2011-04-29 2:57 PM

How much water do you guys actually take on runs in the 1:15 and up range?  I tend to not bring anything up to an hour, but I start to fade after that if I don't bring anything.  I have just carried a small fuel belt bottle with me up to this point.

so far I've been doing up to 1.5 hr runs with no water.  But it's been winter.  I do 2.5 hr workouts indoors without water but that's 70 degrees - albeit without much air movement.

You need to drink if you feel the need to drink.  If you don't feel the need, monitor your weight loss through your workouts and keep the total weight loss under 3%.  Any more than that and you need to drink, even if you don't want to.

But drink all you want.

When running I've never carried water with me, I just usually find sources of water along the route if I need to.  One thing a lot of folks do on the trails and in the parks is to run multiple loops and leave water.  Then every few miles they pass by their water bottle.

2011-05-02 9:24 AM
in reply to: #3474646

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
trysprintolympic - 2011-04-30 8:48 AM

I am bad - I don't bring anything with me when I run less than 2 hours. I hate carrying it and I find I don't drink it anyway.

I have a girly question: how do you blow snot rockets?? I was on a ride today and it was cold and I kept needing to wipe my nose. I decided just to try a snot rocket and it flew all over my arm. Do you shoot under your arm? Over your shoulder? Do you sit up straight first? I have never done this before and don't understand how it's supposed to work.

Snot Rockets!!!  You are now on your way to being an officially sanctioned cyclist!

Let's say I'm blowing the left nostril...left hand goes up and over to hold my right nostril closed.  Then I blow down and to the left UNDERNEATH my arm, turning my head a little.   That's the best way to get the arm and shoulder out of the way.  The harder you blow, the less likely you are to hit yourself because it gets away from you faster.

One bit of warning...well 2 bits.  Be careful to keep your line straight and not swerve...for safety reasons.  And if you are riding with others....drop off the back first.  It doesn't make friends if you spray them.

2011-05-02 9:27 AM
in reply to: #3476042

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
wbayek - 2011-05-01 2:48 PM

I am very excited!  It's a rare and wonderful thing when someone meets their performance goals.  Why is it so rare?  Anyway, you did it. 

Good question about the last few miles.  The slow down may have been the result of outside influences and doesn't really represent a drop off in performance....but if you DID drop off in performance at that late point in the race, I'd be interested in seeing HR data...but my guess would be that it would have been a glycogen depletion issue which would signal that you didn't have enough mileage in your training for the half marathon distance.

Good job though!

2011-05-02 9:32 AM
in reply to: #3475827

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
mambos - 2011-05-01 11:10 AM

Yep, if you want the payoff on race day you have to suck it up somewhere.  It's getting warmer outside and soon sucking it up could look like an outside ride in the rain.  Or it can mean getting on that indoor bike.  What I find works for me is to go to spin classes.  The structure and the atmosphere keeps me motivated and sane.

I'm notoriously bad at getting on my trainer at home.  An hour feels like a day.

Another thing that I like is to ride the stationary bike at my gym in the cinema room.  It's a big projection TV and a room full of cardio equipment, including a spin bike, with netflix movies playing.  It helps time pass.  But rather than just sit there with my legs moving, I keep a HR monitor going and play a very simple game.  Keep the HR above a threshold.  That's it.  Then I can watch the movie and get a decent workout at the same time.  An interval workout would take my mind off the movie and I would lose out on a great benefit---namely, being distracted by the movie.

2011-05-02 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3477292

User image

NH
JeffY - 2011-05-02 10:27 AM
wbayek - 2011-05-01 2:48 PM

I am very excited!  It's a rare and wonderful thing when someone meets their performance goals.  Why is it so rare?  Anyway, you did it. 

Good question about the last few miles.  The slow down may have been the result of outside influences and doesn't really represent a drop off in performance....but if you DID drop off in performance at that late point in the race, I'd be interested in seeing HR data...but my guess would be that it would have been a glycogen depletion issue which would signal that you didn't have enough mileage in your training for the half marathon distance.

Good job though!

Unfortunately I didn't wear the HR as it wasn't working.  I would tend to agree that my training didn't have enough time with adequate miles for the half marathon distance.  I really took Feb mostly off with the new job, so I was cramming the half prep into 8 weeks.

I really have to fully accept the running slower for long runs, and just get more miles into these legs.

Also, even though there was some wind, my legs and quads in particular really fatigued and literally wouldn't let me speed up those last few miles.  Sounds like you're probably correct in my training.  But this being a short course year, I have plenty of time to make up for it before next years redo!

2011-05-03 4:44 AM
in reply to: #3477434

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Warren, I see what you mean by rushing your training to get the HM distances.  It looks like you didn't pass go or collect your $200.  I think that it is a fair self assessment that you didn't get all the training in prior to this race.  No matter, you still set a solid PR and sounds like you had a really good race.  Congrats!!!

Now you get to race again this weekend.  What are your thoughts on this one?  Are you thinking another PR or will you still be recovering from last weekend?

2011-05-03 8:09 AM
in reply to: #3479051

User image

NH
DirkP - 2011-05-03 5:44 AM

Warren, I see what you mean by rushing your training to get the HM distances.  It looks like you didn't pass go or collect your $200.  I think that it is a fair self assessment that you didn't get all the training in prior to this race.  No matter, you still set a solid PR and sounds like you had a really good race.  Congrats!!!

Now you get to race again this weekend.  What are your thoughts on this one?  Are you thinking another PR or will you still be recovering from last weekend?

Thanks Dirk, I'm happy with the race and analyzing the results is always a part of the picture.

This weekend is just a run with my sister.  She got off the couch in Feb and said she'd do a 5k if I ran with her.  I'm proud she's done the training up to now - her first running ever.  Hopefully some of my fanaticism is rubbing off in a good way.

2011-05-03 8:36 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
That's awesome Warren.  Looks like you could have a real impact on her life by supporting this endeavor.  A buddy of mine is doing this same thing.
2011-05-04 10:51 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Who's our next member with an upcoming race?

I don't have one until later in this month.  We had a 'family' member have a good race last weekend and that's exciting.

So who's next?

2011-05-04 11:39 AM
in reply to: #3481630

User image

Veteran
JeffY - 2011-05-04 10:51 AM

I don't have one until later in this month.  We had a 'family' member have a good race last weekend and that's exciting.

So who's next?

July 24 for me. 81 days...must be someone sooner.

2011-05-04 12:31 PM
in reply to: #3474573

User image

Regular
Little Rock, AR
Subject: RE: Long run for the week

wbayek - 2011-04-30 7:16 AM I sweat a LOT so this may not apply, but I bring my fuel belt loaded with all bottles (32 oz) for a 90 minute run.  Over that and I try to loop back and refill 1-2 of them.  Drinking 6 bottles (48 oz) I'll still lose 4-5 pounds during a 13 mile run.

I'm in the same boat.  I sweat a LOT.  In the summer when running I will typically us all 32oz on my fuel belt in around 60-90 mins.  It varies depending upon the temp, sunlight, etc.  I generally plan to refill every 6 miles on my long summer runs.  I also take an enduralite table every hour whenever I'm going to be doing anything longer than that.  I'll typically finish with salt crusted all over me, so those are an absolute necessity for me.

2011-05-04 12:43 PM
in reply to: #3481630

User image

Regular
Little Rock, AR
JeffY - 2011-05-04 10:51 AM

So who's next?

I've got a sprint Duathlon 2-12-2 on Memorial day.

2011-05-04 1:24 PM

User image

Regular
Tomahawk

June 11 and 18 for me.  I could get into a dual this weekend, playing it by ear.  The weather in Northern WI has been horrible.  I am going to check it later this week and deside. 

Question to you whom are bikers.  How do you eleviate the chaffing and discomfort from riding 40+ miles?  Is this something that just goes away with time and suffering.  My will to stay on the seat is getting broken.  Any suggestions? 

2011-05-04 2:12 PM
in reply to: #3482004

User image

Regular
Little Rock, AR
I find that if I do a pre-ride or long run application of Body glide I don't have chaffing issues.  Your mileage may vary.  I know people that always keep a lump of Vaseline under the saddle.

2011-05-04 3:22 PM
in reply to: #3482004

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
webertp - 2011-05-04 1:24 PM

June 11 and 18 for me.  I could get into a dual this weekend, playing it by ear.  The weather in Northern WI has been horrible.  I am going to check it later this week and deside. 

Question to you whom are bikers.  How do you eleviate the chaffing and discomfort from riding 40+ miles?  Is this something that just goes away with time and suffering.  My will to stay on the seat is getting broken.  Any suggestions? 

Hmmm....My experience has been 90% chaffe free without any special consideration to it.  But the 10% of the time I was chaffing, there was no real solution to it and I don't really know why I was chaffing then.

Some thoughts (guesses):

• A poor bike fit, or poor technique can result in a great degree of side to side rocking of the hips as you ride creating friction or at least enhancing it.
  • Poor fitting shorts or those with a poorly constructed chamois can contribute
  • If you shave....I wonder if shaving too far up may be a contributor?
  • Most people say that applying a 'chamois creme' to those areas should help
  • Do your bike shorts fit well? (they should be uber tight) and you don't wear underwear by any chance?
  • When all is said and done, the seat could be a cause....so you can try moving seats around between bikes or test riding other seats.  I find that the slick, non-padded seats are the best...counter intuitive but true. 
2011-05-04 3:59 PM
in reply to: #3482243

User image

Regular
Tomahawk

Yes possible bike fit.  Yes shorts are tight.  Not a shved area.  Nothing under shorts.  Seat is fairly hard.  Definatly poor technique.  I will try to move seat around.  I guess more discomfort than chaffing but will try the cream.  I do have the same issues with my cyclecross set up also.  This gives me a few things to try.  Thanks.

2011-05-04 5:47 PM

User image

Veteran
My next and FIRST tri is 5/22.  I am really looking forward to it.  I think I may have over estimated my swim time.  It is a 250m swim and I estimated 5 minutes.  Today during my swim session I did 3 sets of 250m after 1250m swim.  If I really push it I come in around 3:55, with a strong steady effort I come in around 4:15 - 4:20ish.  I just hope I don't get bogged down during the swim leg.
2011-05-04 8:36 PM

User image

NH

My next race is a sprint June 18.  I may try to throw a 5k race in before that, but we'll see if I can find a mid-week date since the race committee would rather I not do a weekend event before the tri.

As far as chafing, I sometimes use body glide before a long ride and haven't had chafing problems.

In terms of swimming during the tri, if it's your first ever tri Greg, I wouldn't push the swim too hard.  There's a lot of race left after the swim, so you want energy to bike and run hard.  Of course in a sprint the whole thing is at a pretty high RPE.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeff Y's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64