BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-05-07 6:35 PM
in reply to: #3482937

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Subject: RE: BigSkiesMentorGroup - OPEN (but door barely ajar....)
sanl - 2011-05-04 11:48 PM

Do you train for open water swim? I wouldn't go to swim alone in a lake or river for safety purposes. And I never swam in open water. How do you train for that? Do you go with friends? and where?Do you have to ask permission? Is it legal to swim wherever you want? What safety measures do you take.

Sandra

Even though I have literally dozens of lakes within 15", I drive 30" to a beach that has 2 lifeguards every day (in season).  I'm a total wuss about swimming alone and can't often find someone to go with me.  I swim back and forth on the outside of the buoys.  I emailed the Parks/Rec director ahead of time and asked if I could swim outside the buoys - I'm not sure but I think the rules vary lake to lake.  He said I could swim anywhere but at my own risk.  I don't go too far past the buoys because of boat activity.  First time I went, I introduced myself to the lifeguards and told them I would swimming just outside the buoys and would they please save me if I started to go under - haha

Amusing story - my daughter was with me once, but on the beach.  She heard a little girl say to her mother "Mommy, that lady is swimming outside the lines"

My 1st open water swims were very difficult mentally because the water around here is very clear and you can see everything.  The weeds that grow in the lake by the buoy areas are huge - you literally swim with your face practically touching the weeds.  It took me awhile to get used to that.  Now I think they're actually very pretty, waving back and forth in the water.

Denise

2011-05-08 11:35 PM
in reply to: #3486276

winnipeg, MB
Subject: RE: BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE!
JoeK - 2011-05-06 8:38 PM

Sandra,

A couple of thoughts from a novice that lives by the beach....I would recommend swimming with a group, of course. The master swim club here usually has a few people that go out and swim on the week-ends.  So I would recommend asking around and you will most likely find someone else that will want to try.  Once you go out, don't forget a bright color cap (better visibility) and I recommend your wet suit  in case you run into problems since the bouyancy can help.  I confess that I have done a few swims on my own.  I swim parrell and fairly close to the beach and only when it is flat out (no waves).  Out here I have the luxury of a relatively shallow water depth plus the beaches usually have enough people laying out/walking around that I am confident someone would be able tell the rescue squad which way my body was floating.  Overall the experience was helpful getting used to swimming without a black line on the bottom.  As far as sighting, not sure it helps given there is not much to sight on other than things in the far distance.  When my wife was practicing open water I took the kayak out and was the bouy (of course you have to watch your drift).   Have fun....

JK

I'm certainly not planning to swim alone. I was wondering if I should join one of the 3 clubs here in Winnipeg. All of them have at some point some open water training. I don't know. I think I prefer to run one or two triathlons first, see how it goes and then join one of the clubs. I feel I'm too slow to join any group and plus, I don't have all the gears that I'm just learning about. For ex. I don't have a wet suit.

It never occurred to me to buy a bright color swimming cap to add visibility. When swimming indoor I always prefer to stay invisible and the least noticeable as possible. I'm better now. It was very bad years ago. I always felt everybody was looking at me, but later I realized I'm not the center of the world I heard many people having the same problem. It might be a self confidence problem.

Sandra

2011-05-08 11:50 PM
in reply to: #3487090

winnipeg, MB
LadyNorth - 2011-05-07 6:35 PM
sanl - 2011-05-04 11:48 PM

Do you train for open water swim? I wouldn't go to swim alone in a lake or river for safety purposes. And I never swam in open water. How do you train for that? Do you go with friends? and where?Do you have to ask permission? Is it legal to swim wherever you want? What safety measures do you take.

Sandra

Even though I have literally dozens of lakes within 15", I drive 30" to a beach that has 2 lifeguards every day (in season).  I'm a total wuss about swimming alone and can't often find someone to go with me.  I swim back and forth on the outside of the buoys.  I emailed the Parks/Rec director ahead of time and asked if I could swim outside the buoys - I'm not sure but I think the rules vary lake to lake.  He said I could swim anywhere but at my own risk.  I don't go too far past the buoys because of boat activity.  First time I went, I introduced myself to the lifeguards and told them I would swimming just outside the buoys and would they please save me if I started to go under - haha

Amusing story - my daughter was with me once, but on the beach.  She heard a little girl say to her mother "Mommy, that lady is swimming outside the lines"

My 1st open water swims were very difficult mentally because the water around here is very clear and you can see everything.  The weeds that grow in the lake by the buoy areas are huge - you literally swim with your face practically touching the weeds.  It took me awhile to get used to that.  Now I think they're actually very pretty, waving back and forth in the water.

Denise

Oh. I didn't think about lifeguards. I have seen them in one of the lakes actually. That's a good idea to try later in the season. Now that you mention the weeds, I didn't think about the algae either.  Two years ago we went with my family to the lake and there were more algae than water. But we had fun. for swimming that would be a different story!

I'm sorry for your husband's problems and glad everything is fine now!

2011-05-09 12:36 AM
in reply to: #3488548

winnipeg, MB

I couldn't stop thinking all day about the dream I just had last night.

I'll try to recreate it. Be aware, that I still have some problems with english when I need to describe somehting. There is no need to read what follows if you don't want to It is not important.

In my dream, I attended my first triathlon. The triathlon consisted of 5 laps swim, 3 loops around an industrial park and 2 loops around the same park running.

I completed the swim and the bike portion of the race and was happily completing the first loop of the run. I was running over a bridge when I saw a tornado behind a building and one second later I saw the building on fire. I stopped running and somewhere was a TV showing two victims from the building telling their story. I can even remember the face of the girl. (can't relate it to anybody I know). I started running again, and at some point the course entered a two blocks dark and old town, gray old stone buildings  and cobblestone instead of pavement. Because of that, the course continued inside a few shops. All of them had two doors on the side like a big hallway. One of them sold antiques and I wanted to stop to take a look at a table. But I did not stop! I was very committed on finishing the run and was reaching the mid point of the second loop.

I was almost at the finish line, when I realized that I only completed one loop with the bike instead of three!!! I was very upset, crossed the finish line worrying about that and went immediately to a table to talk to one of the officers. He showed me my time: 58 minutes the swim (5 laps) 0:00:00 the bike because I did not completed the 3 loops and disqualified from the run because If I did not finish the bike, I shouldn't have run. I argued with him because he should have record my running time which I did finish. Now I don't know what the running time was.

I left very angry at everyone and upset at myself. I made such and effort on the run!

My husband was waiting at the entrance. The entrance looked like an abandoned yard full of junk. Gustavo, began to blame me (without even asking how the race went) that he stood there all the time, bored, looking at all those people not having anything better to do in their life than swimming, biking and running with all the wars, poverty and problems around the world. I remember that I told him: Don't even start! I'm not listening to you, I have my own problems with myself. I just started crying when I woke up!

My conclusions are: I have problems with running, I think I'm a slow swimmer 58 minutes for 1.25 yards and I probably overestimate my biking abilities Obsessed with swimming and running, I did not pay attention to the biking portion. Interesting.

I still have to figure out why Gustavo acted like that in my dream, he is very supportive of what I do.

Today Gustavo brought me breakfast in bed for mothers day! He is so sweet

2011-05-09 8:35 AM
in reply to: #3435045

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX

Just a quick post. Crazy weekend with a baseball tournament.  Got to spend mother's day at the ballpark all day to watch my boys win 3 of 3 of their games. I think I've spent the last 6 mother's days at the ballpark ... can't think of a better way to spend the day (especially if we're winning!)

STEVE, I really don't think it's the shoes, as I've worn them on runs up to 6 miles without any problems at all. This was just a short little run. Unfortunately the hip is still giving me lots of problems and I may resort to having to go to the doctor. Sorry to hear that you are still having problems.

DENISE, so sorry to hear about Bruce. He's very lucky that they were able to diagnose the AAA and get him treated. I don't think that you have anything to worry about with your training. You'll be able to pick right back up and the week off probably did you some good!

SANDRA, funny dream! Gustavo will probably wonder about that dream as well!

My husband just called to let me know to expect a houseful of people this evening. Looks like we will be hosting a party for the Mamma Mia cast this evening, but my daughter can't tell us yet how many. Glad I'm at work and he'll be at home to deal with the planning and preparation. More later, but better get busy here at work!

LISA

2011-05-09 3:47 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City

Sandra - LOL! I've had plenty of triathlon dreams, but none of them included a tornado. Cool! 

Anyone - Why would my HR shoot up to 225 out of the blue? My Forerunner says it did last week on a 5K run....wth? I typically don't go over 170 when I'm running.

2011-05-09 6:02 PM

User image

Alaska
Most HRM's max out at 225 or 250, actually not sure on the Garmin. The 225 reading was likely interference of some sort. I'm not an expert but have been using the HRM for several years and have seen anomolies.  If you are downloading the data and it is just a spike, that is likely what it was. Also you may find it increasing in the same location every time, agaiin due to interference. I have a run that goes by the airport and at a certain spot it increases every time. I rarely record my maximum HR or use it as an indicator of my effort for those workouts. Also there is a radio tower that I sometimes run by that makes the HRM read 00. If you continually have really high readings that do not appear to be interference, you may want to mention it to a health expert.
2011-05-09 6:24 PM
in reply to: #3488566

User image

Champion

SANDRA -

Second things first, what a dream! I have had my share of anxiety-rich racing dreams, but none quite like yours. (And I must say, better you than me!) Yeah, if that dream had been mine I would've woken up very agitated! Grrr!

First things second, those open water swims....

I am glad several others said their piece, because mine is mostly different. That is, I have never done a swim other than by myself, although I am often in the vicinity of other non-swimmers (or at least serious ones). For me, it is just a matter of necessity -- if I didn't swim alone, I'd never swim in open water.

I have no inherent fear with water, so that makes it easy to do without thinking much about it. When I started this stuff in '00 I didn't think twice about swimming on my own - it just seemed to be the thing to do. Those early years, however, did see me take some risks that I no longer take, such as swimming in water that is too cold or way too choppy and rough. In fact, for the past few years there ahve been times i have driven 40 minutes to get to where I normally swim, figuring the winds would be okay, and when I got there I saw the waves piling up on the shore....and I have done a run instead. From about '00 until '05 I would've just sighed and gone in anyhow, but not any more. I guess I'm just too old for that silliness!

Precautions, for me, are pretty rudimentary -- my brightest swim caps, and almost-always my wetsuit. The latter won't prevent going under, but sure makes it much harder! I try to stay as close to shore as possible at one spot, and for the other...well...I choose to go acorss the top of a wide, deep bay rather than skirting the shore. But i might change that this season; we'll see.

Finally, I AM in the vast minority, and so if you choose to only swim with others, you are in the wise majority.

Onwards to "chasing bubbles"!

2011-05-09 6:41 PM
in reply to: #3490287

User image

Champion

• .............................. CHASING BUBBLES ---------------------------

• For thsoe of you who don't have good open water swimming options and are kind of worried about your first race swim, one thing you can do in the pool is follow closely behind another -- close enough so that you are in their bubble stream, and so are chasing their bubbles. It is hard to avoid getting caught in the bubbles of other swimmers during a triathlon, and many peole find this very disconcerting, so getting usefd to it in a pool can help quite a bit.

So, wait at the end of the lane until someone comes along who is about your speed or maybe a tick or tow faster. Then give them about a ten-foot lead, and opush off and try to keep up with them -- stayimng in their bubbles as much as possible. If the bubbles start to thin, try to speed up and catch them. If you sense they are getting thicker, back off a bit -- or sight straight ahead to see just how close you are to them.

More times than not you will be further from the swimmer than you think, based on their bubbles. And someone with a heavy kick can produce a ton of bubbles that make you think they must be just ahead a few feet, where in fact they are about 10 yards ahead of you!

When you'bve done this a few times, you will realize that following pretty closely behind another swimmer saves you some energy. This is a terrific strategy in a race, and is a legal from of "drafting". The best swimmers do it incredibly well, in fact, and as long as you don't keep touching the feet of the person you're following, they'll never know you are drafting off them. As for touching their feet...don't do it twice. Many people (myself included) will accept the first time it happens, but will lash out with a strong kick if it happens again. So, just be polite about following closely behind another swimmer.

That was a lot about drafting, but the main reason is to help get you accustomed to the "washing-machine" effect of a race --especially the first hunderd yards or so. Once you learn that bubbles are not at all bad, it changes a great deal of the attitude one takes into the start of the swim.

And then there is sighting, which can also be done in a pool. I won't say a lot about that now but only this --- that while you can't sight on a big orange buoy 75 yeards away in the pool, yoiu can at least work on the mechanics of how best to turn or lift your head, or torque your body some, to sight ahead of you most effectively. Many people will never sight forward during their pool swims, relaying only on the black line at the bottom of the pool. This represents a big lost opportunity for them!

So, if you get a sense of what a swim start might feel like (BUBBLES GALORE!!), and also learn to sight ahead of you, then the pressures to do open water swims become that much less. Try these things the next few pool swims you do and see how they work for you.

2011-05-09 7:52 PM
    in reply to: #3490036

User image

Expert
    Sarasota, FL

Trina,

Sounds like Veronica potentially hit it on the head (i.e... some type of interference with your HRM).  Particularily if that HR is way higher than your normal MAX HR.

For me I'll often experience a HR spike at the beginning my runs particularily if I have not done an appropriate WU.  I have no idea why this happens but it does.  It happens at the very beginning of some of my runs (ie.. in the 1st 1/4 mile).  My HR will hit my normal MAX HR (however, without the intensity) but it will settle back down within minutes. 

kickitinok - 2011-05-09 4:47 PM

Anyone - Why would my HR shoot up to 225 out of the blue? My Forerunner says it did last week on a 5K run....wth? I typically don't go over 170 when I'm running.

Edited by junthank 2011-05-09 7:53 PM
    2011-05-09 7:58 PM
    in reply to: #3488891

User image

Expert
    Sarasota, FL

Lisa,

Sounds like you really enjoy those baseball games with your kids.  My last will be heading out of the nest for college in a few months.  My wife and I really miss the days we spent at the soccer, football, baseball, and softball fields.  They grow up fast.

lufferly - 2011-05-09 9:35 AM

Just a quick post. Crazy weekend with a baseball tournament.  Got to spend mother's day at the ballpark all day to watch my boys win 3 of 3 of their games. I think I've spent the last 6 mother's days at the ballpark ... can't think of a better way to spend the day (especially if we're winning!)

2011-05-09 8:34 PM
    in reply to: #3488566

User image

Expert
    Sarasota, FL

Sandra,

That was one very creative dream.  Now you just have to visualize yourself completing the entire race strong and having your husband waiting at the finish line with roses!!

I wouldn't worry about how "slow" or fast you are.  One of the most valuable lessons I was taught in the beginning by a pretty darn successful world class triathlete was "there will always be somebody faster, we can't win that game.  If you remain consistent and positive you will improve relative to yourself - there’s value in seeing the return from our own efforts. So it’s best to evaluate how you do relative to yourself”.

I'm a competitive guy so that comment help me a out a lot.  Now I don't worry about how fast I'm going relative to other people.  I focus on looking at my improvements over time.

sanl - 2011-05-09 1:36 AM

2011-05-09 9:09 PM
    in reply to: #3486698

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Minnesota

stevebradley - 2011-05-07 12:21 PM Good afternoon, gang! Just back from a nearby duathlon (5km - 38.4km - 5km), with mixed results. When the final results are up, I will post a report. (Actually, they should be up soon, but I won't be writing anything cogent about it for a day or so. This was an early-morning decison -- literally at about 6 a.m. I decided what the heck. I went into it with concerens about my left leg -- groin, hip, hamstring -- and kind of wanted to see what I was capable of, given the aches and the lack ofrecent training because of them (no ride since last Saturday, and just two runs since then). Good news - the two runs. First one was 20:48, second was 21:16. I was sure the course was measured short a bit, and might've been by just a tad based on driving it after the race just to see for myself. It may have been 5km, and at worst it was 4.95km, so if I add about 15s to those times that'll be a good cushion -- and I am thrilled to knock off 5km runs at that speed this early in the season. Biggerm, though, was no pain to speak of, at least nothing compared to the discomfort on the bike. Bad news, then -- the bike. The groin set everything off, and I just had reduced power and increased pain on the climbs. The last two loops (four loops in total) were especially uncomfortable. My average speed was about 19.4mph, on a course that I should've done about 20.5. My bike pacement was also probably much below what it should be, but so it goes. ANYHOW, that's it for now!

Hey, I thought you were going to write a little more about your race.  Looks like your run is continuing to be spectacular like last year.  Sorry about your physical problems - hope they go away or get fixed.  But you know I have a really hard time relating to 19.4 as a "bad" bike speed - haha.

What's up next - your next scheduled is in June, right?  What's going on with your groin pain?

Denise

2011-05-09 9:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Minnesota

Lisa/Jeff,

When our daughter left for college, we suddenly didn't have a social life.  She was active in sports year round and we spent all our time at games - and since we live in the boonies, travel time was often 1-2 hours one-way.  We had such a blast at those games. So enjoy it while you can.

Denise

2011-05-10 5:50 AM
    in reply to: #3490605

User image

Champion

DENISE -

Quickly here...

I will say more about the race, it's just that I seem to be perpetually behind the eight-ball here, with more important things to post than my race report. But it will come as soon as I feel almost caught up with the groups!

Nothing is certain about my groin/hip woes, although I will start acupincture and other phsio tomorrow, and then in a week or so I will get a cortisone shot. There is also a MRI in the works, just to see if something shows up there that was missed on a recent xray, which turned out looking mostly fine. I'm not happy about my situation, especially how it makes me not want to ride much, but I'm hopeful that some modality or other can solve the problem. Mama said there'd be days like this!

2011-05-10 11:42 AM

Western Colorado

What do you all think of lengthening ones stroke to be more efficient and increase speed?  I was watching one of the videos on the BT website and they discussed an ideal stroke rate per 25 yds according to height.  For my height the rate was 16-19 strokes.  I went and tried this out in the pool and it took some concentration to slow my stroke to hit that mark.  Interestingly I started out around 21-22 strokes and by the time I was done I could hit 16-17.  I think it did conserve energy, and maybe shaved a little time.  It did make bilateral breathing harder as I had to wait longer to breathe! Foot in mouth  Has anyone else played with lengthening their stroke?  Did it increase your speed? 

Also, what are your opinions of the two beat kick vs. four or six?

Thanks for your thoughts...

Jessica

2011-05-10 12:37 PM

User image

Alaska

Jessica,

Here is a good drill for testing your stoke count and speed.

Swim Golf = Add up your 50 yd/m time and the # of strokes for the 50 yd/m – for example: 50 seconds and 50 strokes for a 50 yard swim would give you a golf sore of 100

2011-05-10 7:04 PM
    in reply to: #3490867

User image

Expert
    Sarasota, FL

Sorry to hear about your injury woes Steve.  I have some issues myself 4 days out from the 1st race of the year.  Very frustrating to train for something for 6 months and then potentially show up on race day with an injury.  Bummer!!

stevebradley - 2011-05-10 6:50 AM DENISE - Nothing is certain about my groin/hip woes, although I will start acupincture and other phsio tomorrow, and then in a week or so I will get a cortisone shot. There is also a MRI in the works, just to see if something shows up there that was missed on a recent xray, which turned out looking mostly fine. I'm not happy about my situation, especially how it makes me not want to ride much, but I'm hopeful that some modality or other can solve the problem. Mama said there'd be days like this!

2011-05-11 8:55 AM
    in reply to: #3492455

User image

Champion

JEFF -

What's bothering you, injury-wise? And are you just kind of cruising into the race at this point, trying to let a fuller taper work its magic? I really hope it comes together for you, as I think F.I.T. is much more important to you than my race last weekend was to me. Mine was very much a "c" race -- heck, nothing I decided to do until three hours before the start.

You're right, that training for months to get this close and then have things fall apart some is a big nuisance. it would be good, maybe, if we could all build into our plans and psyches the inevitability of injury-time, even if it must come so close to race day.

If it helps your spirits at all, there have been many times I have had something crop up in the final week or so before a race, and then come race day it is suddenly all better. I almost think I manufacture these things just as a form of self-flagellation, but likely a bigger part is the healing effect of adrenaline -- all those big vibes, coursing through my system and expelling all of the negativity!

ANYHOW, go easy on yourself fro the next few days. Remember, you've done the work already, and anything you do now will not add to your race performance. So, just sit back and baby yourself!

2011-05-11 9:21 AM
    in reply to: #3491576

User image

Champion

JESSICA -

Good post, great questions and thoughts!

I have wrestled with this for years, literally, pretty much since '00 when I came to serious swimming via the teachings of Toatl Immersion. Stroke count is very big in T.I., with less being better. So, I spent many years working at keeping my stroke count down, about in the 17/18 range for my 25m pools up here.

I am not a fast swimmer, and that is my weakest link. I'm good for about 30 minutes in an oly, 40 minutes in a half-iron, and a good swim for me at those distances would be 28-29 for oly and 37-39 for HIM. Sad to say, i have had very few along those lines.

Much navel-gazing about this has led me to an opinion --- that a low stroke count works well only for people with good kicks. I ahve a lousy kick, and so I don't benefit from being able to kick effectively through that glide-and-lengthening phase of each stroke cysle. Another way to say this is that I experience dead spots at those points. My guess about you is that if you saw an increase in speed by lowering your stroke rate, you have a good kick. Yes?

You're right about bilateral being harder when you lengthen your stroke and decrease the rate of stroking. Another way to play with this concept is to increase your stroke rate....and see how easy it is to breathe every fourth or fifth stroke!

The concept I played with this past of-season was that if increased cadence in both running and cycling have helped me there, why shouldn't it help me with swimming. So, I actually wnet the opposite direction of what you are talking about -- I have worked to increase my arm turnover, going to 22-24 strokes per 25 meters. I am sure this is improving my speed, and it has also expanded my repetoire of breathing patterns. I now can comfortably breathe every 4th or 6th stroke, or if I want to go bilateral I can do that more easily, too. I think that when I am stroking more rapidly, I just have less time to "collapse" when I breathe to my unfamiliar left side.

I wish i could help you with your kick-beat question, but for neither love nor money have I ever been able to figure that out. I think part of that is my crappy kick, which has neither rhyme nor reason to it. But I will say that if you can get away with two good beats, that will mean less energy expended by your legs and more left over for the bike and run.

Because of my poor kick, I kick hardly at all during races. Every race I have done has been wetsuit-legal, and I have become pretty good at bringing my legs along for the ride! It never ceases to frustrate me that I give up ground to others on the swim, but mostly I can gain it back on the bike and run. It is amazing, in fact, how fresh my legs feel when I get on the bike -- a testimony to babying them so much on the swim!

Let's keep talking about this!

And -- you must have a good kick, yes?

2011-05-11 9:27 AM
    in reply to: #3488891

User image

Champion

LISA -

I'm off to a physio session in a few hours, and I'm sure acupuncture will be part of the process. I am also up for a cortisone shot in a week or so (it is going through referral). Beyond that, there will be a MRI if it doesn't resolve my then, as the recetn xray was negative. That;s good, of course....but not if there is something "hidden" that is the problem. It is MRI that shows mensicus problems and other non-bone things, but I don't believe my doctor suspects anything is structurally wrong. The xray showed a bit of wear in both hips, but nothing that is even close yet to hinting at arthritis. The MRI shoudl just be another opinion, or at least more evidence.

How do your hip problems "present" themselves?

2011-05-11 11:46 AM
    in reply to: #3493196

User image

Expert
    Sarasota, FL

Right calf issue.  Almost feels like a pulled muscle that does not bother me while swimming or riding.  Just on the run. 

Yes, I am cruising.  The plan has me cruising but I'm cruising even more than called for.  Think I'm calling off all additional runs and bikes until race day.  Mentally it's difficult to lose some of your fitness but I don't think I have much of a choice.  Just short easy swims and a few preyers until then!!

stevebradley - 2011-05-11 9:55 AM JEFF - What's bothering you, injury-wise? And are you just kind of cruising into the race at this point, trying to let a fuller taper work its magic?

So, just sit back and baby yourself!

Edited by junthank 2011-05-11 11:49 AM
    2011-05-11 12:37 PM
    in reply to: #3493644

User image

Champion

JEFF -

The amount of fitness you'll lose by shutting it down now would be dwarfed by a mote of dust; you'll be fine!

Have you been working on it at all with a foam roller, or The Stick? Any sessions with an A.R.T. person? They are usually great with soft-tissue issues.

I'm off to the acupuncture session shortly, hopefully to be pincushioned back into peak health!

2011-05-11 2:59 PM

Western Colorado

Steve,

Actually no, I don't have a very good kick.  Frankly I like the two beat kick because I think when I try to kick faster I'm so grossly inefficient that I just create more drag.   I seem to conserve energy and not get as tired with the two beat kick.  I’m sure it’s a combination timing and technique problem.  I like your idea about just letting your legs come along for the ride during the swim, that’s about all mine do I think.

Jessica

2011-05-11 6:46 PM
    in reply to: #3493757

User image

Expert
    Sarasota, FL

I hope so!!

No foam roller or stick.  Just RICE.

Good luck with the needles.

stevebradley - 2011-05-11 1:37 PM JEFF - The amount of fitness you'll lose by shutting it down now would be dwarfed by a mote of dust; you'll be fine! Have you been working on it at all with a foam roller, or The Stick? Any sessions with an A.R.T. person? They are usually great with soft-tissue issues. I'm off to the acupuncture session shortly, hopefully to be pincushioned back into peak health!

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  

of 57