BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2012-01-09 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3943322

User image

New user
Chicago, IL
Subject: RE: Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED

Holy cow, trying to catch up after a few days off! Surprised  I skimmed through a lot so I know I missed some...

Mary - awesome job this weekend!  

I have a neti pot that I used to use almost daily before reading the article about the brain eating bacteria.  Haven't used it since then but only b/c I'm too lazy to boil water.  I need to hit the store tonight so perhaps I'll just pick up a jug of distilled water there Laughing

Hope everyone is having a great Monday! I think I'm gonna head home early, rest up, and try to shake this cold. 

2012-01-09 2:35 PM
in reply to: #3980266

User image

Jackson, MS
saskat - 2012-01-09 2:31 PM

I have a neti pot that I used to use almost daily before reading the article about the brain eating bacteria.  Haven't used it since then but only b/c I'm too lazy to boil water.  I need to hit the store tonight so perhaps I'll just pick up a jug of distilled water there Laughing

So true, by the way.  We DEFINITELY recommend boiling the water...or you can buy distilled water at the grocery store if you're lazy. 

2012-01-09 2:53 PM
in reply to: #3980266

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hope you feel better soon Sarah.

saskat - 2012-01-09 3:31 PM

Holy cow, trying to catch up after a few days off! Surprised  I skimmed through a lot so I know I missed some...

Mary - awesome job this weekend!  

Hope everyone is having a great Monday! I think I'm gonna head home early, rest up, and try to shake this cold. 

2012-01-09 4:44 PM
in reply to: #3980278

User image

Expert

I must have missed that discussion or even news story.  just did a search to find that they are unsure if it was from the tap water used in the neti pot or "exposure to warm recreational water, such as ponds, rivers and lakes, and the kind of exposure where the water would be forced up the nose — for example, diving and water sports".

I guess we are all screwed and by the way I will be changing my screen name to "Naegleria fowleri"

Mary A - 2012-01-09 2:35 PM

So true, by the way.  We DEFINITELY recommend boiling the water...or you can buy distilled water at the grocery store if you're lazy. 

2012-01-09 6:04 PM
in reply to: #3980564

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team - long day at the office today, class, students needind schedule changes - YikesYell. Anyway, only had time for 35 hard minutes on the bike but I liked it. Just finished having dinner and then off to the pool for 8:30.

Tim - please don't change your name to that - I am having a tough enough time typing "Niezel Stijn Rensen" (just kidding Stijn Smile)

Have a great night everyone - another long day tomorrow.

Wow - 1002 posts

KC

tmoran80 - 2012-01-09 5:44 PM

I guess we are all screwed and by the way I will be changing my screen name to "Naegleria fowleri"

Edited by kcgolf 2012-01-09 6:05 PM
2012-01-09 6:27 PM
in reply to: #3980702

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

KC- What do you teach?  I am also on a faculty at a small university outside Milwaukee, and advise students as well...I hear you on the schedule changes!  We don't start up until the 23rd.

For those of you who have done IMWI or any IM for that matter...I need some advice.  A friend is trying to talk me into the Horribly Hilly Hundreds bike ride in June.  For those who don't know what this is, here is the link: http://www.horriblyhilly.com/home.html.  He is trying to convince me to sign up for the 200k.  He has done it before, and said that nothing comes close to preparing you both mentally and physically for the hills on the bike at IMWI.  Any advice??  I am planning on going to the WIBA or whatever it was called Brick workout the following weekend in Madison on Saturday, and then doing the Pleasant Prairie Olympic tri on Sunday.

Got my run in this afternoon...it is unseasonably warm here in WI, so I took advantage of a great afternoon weather wise and hit the road- what a nice change of pace from the treadmill and track!

2012-01-09 8:13 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team - a bit down, was hoping for a swim but when I got there, the pool was closed and will not have another chance to swim until Wednesday.

Jenny - I teach at St.Clair College in Windsor Ontario. I actually run a Business Administration Professional Golf Management Program. It is a 3 year business diploma for individuals interstes in making the industry of golf a profession.

Have a good night team.

KC

Edited by kcgolf 2012-01-09 8:14 PM
2012-01-09 8:34 PM
in reply to: #3980908

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

KC- Nice!  I am at Concordia University Wisconsin and teach as well as coordinate all the clinical educational experiences for the Athletic Training Education Program.  Our university is in the early stages of developing a similar program to yours.

2012-01-09 8:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Windermere, FL
Hi all! I hope everyone had a great day. I'm trying to play catch up after being gone for a few days. It's nice to sleep in my own bed for a few weeks!

Today is my first day of training for Ironman Florida. My coach sent me my plan for the week and it looks good. I told her we where on the "couch to Ironman" plan. I have 299 days so I can start slow.

I had my second Vision Quest class tonight and it was tough...all hills. Swimming tomorrow and hoping to find a yoga class somewhere.

Have a great night everyone!
Theresa
2012-01-09 10:45 PM

User image

R O L L * T I D E * R O L L 

Song: Iron & Wine  -  Wolves (Song of the Shepard's Dog)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKFTEdhPQ9A

Edited by bearun 2012-01-09 10:48 PM
2012-01-09 11:16 PM
in reply to: #3979614

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
tmoran80 - 2012-01-09 11:06 AM

I started using that last year training for Racine 70.3 and like it better than the Gatorade Endurance.  

David and Scott - do you guys know if IMWI uses the same flavors each year?  I know last year they had orange.  I have been training with Lemon but will switch if they only use orange.

I know its early to be talking about this already but...

As race nutrition I have been looking at the First Endurance system.  My "test" setup to start for training is gonna two 16oz. EFS drink on my saddle holder, 32 oz.water in my aero bottle, and then a sports bottle of EFS Liquid Shot on my down tube.  For the EFS I will try to consume 5oz. every hour (400 calories).  I will just mark lines for every hour so I know where I am at.

For the run I plan to just carry more EFS Liquid shot and the feed of the course with Ironman Perform.

https://www.firstendurance.com/nutrition/efs-liquid-shot.html

Thoughts???

kcgolf - 2012-01-09 8:30 AM

I would like to add that I recently purchased  Ironman sports drink to start getting use to it and I am starting to like it.

I know some of the races have both on the bike and one on the run, best advice is email RD and see what they say.  EFS is great stuff if it works for you.  Good luck!

2012-01-09 11:22 PM
in reply to: #3980728

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Jennifers - 2012-01-09 7:27 PM

KC- What do you teach?  I am also on a faculty at a small university outside Milwaukee, and advise students as well...I hear you on the schedule changes!  We don't start up until the 23rd.

For those of you who have done IMWI or any IM for that matter...I need some advice.  A friend is trying to talk me into the Horribly Hilly Hundreds bike ride in June.  For those who don't know what this is, here is the link: http://www.horriblyhilly.com/home.html.  He is trying to convince me to sign up for the 200k.  He has done it before, and said that nothing comes close to preparing you both mentally and physically for the hills on the bike at IMWI.  Any advice??  I am planning on going to the WIBA or whatever it was called Brick workout the following weekend in Madison on Saturday, and then doing the Pleasant Prairie Olympic tri on Sunday.

Got my run in this afternoon...it is unseasonably warm here in WI, so I took advantage of a great afternoon weather wise and hit the road- what a nice change of pace from the treadmill and track!

If it fits into your plan you can never ride enough hills, esp if you do a run off of them.  WIBA was a good time and I might actually do again this year as it was a great swim/ride/run

2012-01-09 11:28 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

Does anyone want a spot for IMNYC in august? Lol  after swimming 3k in the pool today outside I feel like I have jelly arms (1st swim since Sept) then 2 short rides of 10ish and 20 left me exhausted.   I sure hope my body can recover as I have a heavy day planned for tomorrow. 

That was a snoozefest for the BCS game tonight (unless a AL fan)

2012-01-10 7:18 AM
in reply to: #3981191

User image

Regular
Utrecht
razorxp - 2012-01-10 6:28 AM

Does anyone want a spot for IMNYC in august? Lol  after swimming 3k in the pool today outside I feel like I have jelly arms (1st swim since Sept) then 2 short rides of 10ish and 20 left me exhausted.   I sure hope my body can recover as I have a heavy day planned for tomorrow. 

If that is how the beginning (easy part) of you plan sounds like I'll rather pass. I can see how it was all not so easy at all .

BTW if you feel like traing the arms I had a nice drill yesterday at the pool:

Do freestyle with only one arm and both legs keeping the other arm on your side. We did this 4*50 with switching arm at 25m. It was pretty hard to do

2012-01-10 7:27 AM
in reply to: #3980564

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
tmoran80 - 2012-01-09 4:44 PM

I must have missed that discussion or even news story.  just did a search to find that they are unsure if it was from the tap water used in the neti pot or "exposure to warm recreational water, such as ponds, rivers and lakes, and the kind of exposure where the water would be forced up the nose — for example, diving and water sports".

Mary A - 2012-01-09 2:35 PM

I haven't given up my Neti Pot.  3 years and NO ILLNESSES AT ALL since starting it.  No colds, sinus problems, period.  I have a hard time believing that the Neti Pot was the source of the Louisiana deaths.  The amoeba lives tehre in the water year round.   But suddenly after years of Neti Pot use by hundreds of thousands, the only two people ever to die do so within a few weeks of each other in the same state.  Seems like some investigator may have gotten incredibly creative.  Just think, if the amoeba lives in tap water, then every person, ever kid who takes a bath or shower could be exposed if they splash water up their nose.  Now this is water that is filtered and treated and then has Neti Pot salt added and still that little bugger found a way into their brain.  The Centers for Disease Control is still investigating.  meanwhile I make sure my pot is clean and dry after every use. 

I ran last night to get the metabolism up before strength training with the kettle bells.  Love those things.  3 X 10 squats, swings and presses with each arm.  Then pushups, planks, side planks, medicine ball and some yoga.   The swimming at masters today was pretty quick actually.  Speed work.  Not too shabby.  I've got strength exercises on the bike tonight for 70 mins.  Then more running and a kettlebell work out with the instructor tomorrow.   Moving right along.

2012-01-10 9:02 AM
in reply to: #3981191

User image

Expert

Must be nice to swim outside!  To make you feel better I started back up swimming consistently again about 2 weeks ago and it finally clicked today and had a great workout.  I know swimming isn't your favorite but remember you can swim circles around all of us when you are in your top shape so I know it is gonna come back- No more talk of giving up your IMNY spot - you will be fine!

razorxp - 2012-01-09 11:28 PM

That was a snoozefest for the BCS game tonight (unless a AL fan)

2012-01-10 9:05 AM
in reply to: #3981392

User image

Expert

Do you you do this drill with fins?  If not I would suggest you try as you can really focus on your technique and can keep a decent speed.  

Niezels - 2012-01-10 7:18 AM 

Do freestyle with only one arm and both legs keeping the other arm on your side. We did this 4*50 with switching arm at 25m. It was pretty hard to do

2012-01-10 9:11 AM

User image

SE North Carolina

Was able to get 4 miles in this morning, I dont want to rub it in but i cant beleive how mild the winter has been here, it was perfect running weather this morning, Im getting new decals put on our new work truck we just got, maybe Ill post a pic when its all done, have a great day.........

2012-01-10 9:15 AM
in reply to: #3980953

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Good Morning Team.

Jenny - that is great. Keep me updated on the program, I would love to hear about it.

Jennifers - 2012-01-09 9:34 PM

KC- Nice!  I am at Concordia University Wisconsin and teach as well as coordinate all the clinical educational experiences for the Athletic Training Education Program.  Our university is in the early stages of developing a similar program to yours.

2012-01-10 9:34 AM

User image

Pro
Houston

Sorry I missed song day yesterday - my favorite of all time is hard to pick but maybe Everlong and right now Learning to Walk both by the Foo Fighters who I will be traveling to see in New Orleans this May - but I won't be cramming their nasty water up my nose!

The water is Louisianna is BAD. Honestly I have lot of friends who do tri's there but not me. I will NOT swim the Ponchatrain EVER. No desire to see dead bodies during my OWS and Lord only knows what else is in that water.

We are also Netti Pot users. I haven't used mine in about 3 years but {knocking on wood} we don't get sick very often. My 19 year old has had ONE cold his entire life and 4 of my 5 children have never had an antibiotic. I am a fan of probiotics and as my husband says 'tree huggin twig and berries remedies' LOL. However, not even he can argue he was much sicker before he met and married me.

Yesterday was a busy Mama Day. We have a co-op on Monday's and I teach Active Games to K-1 - Yippee! It actually is pretty fun. My 8 and 9 year olds are taking classes 9-12 and my youngest is in with other preschoolers while I teach. Yesterday was POURING so everything was a chore. Then it was off to the store to get ingredients to make dog treats because I was leading the girl scout meeting about pet care 3-5pm. Got home late because of rain and made dinner for everyone while husband rode the trainer.

I ran this morning which was good, the knee is better! Also planned to swim since pool was closed yesterday but the pool is closed again today due to cold. Depending on temps they may open the evening shift at 4pm so I'll have to see if I can work that in. Likely I will be on the trainer this evening.

Don't forget gang, tomorrow is post a picture Wednesday so start thinking about what you are going to post. 

Edited by KeriKadi 2012-01-10 9:36 AM
2012-01-10 9:43 AM
in reply to: #3981681

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

Good morning everyone!

I survived masters long course this morning again.  It wasn't quite as bad as last week.  I was smarter though this time- when I was getting tired and feeling my form fall apart, I put on the fins and focused on form, and then took them off and swam the rest.  It definetely helped! 

I agree with the mild winter- we normally have so much snow and it is freezing this time of year here in Milwaukee.  I live and work literally right on Lake Michigan, so while it keeps the air temps a little warmer in the winter than inland, we usually get the wonderful "lake effect snow".  But, we haven't had to shovel here AT ALL yet.  Now that I said that, I am going to jinx it. 

Tonight it's back to the computrainer- hopefully tonight goes better than last week.  My legs are still sore from the weekend, but they are gradually getting better.

I signed up for the Elkhart Lake Sprint Triathlon June 9th.  I have done this race the past two years, and it is a great first race of the summer.  Swim is short and sweet, bike is decent, and the run has a pretty steep hill to climb (which at the time I hate, but I look forward to it every year!) My uncle and aunt have a trailer near the race site as well, so it's fun to have my family there cheering me on, and of course we have the celebratory bloody mary afterwards.  Smile

2012-01-10 9:51 AM

User image

Regular
Utrecht

Ok,

So I googled the netti pot to understand where you all are talking about. It looks ieeeewww. By the way we have the luxory of very high quality tab water over here without the added chlorine (again ieeeew). It's also more common to drink tab then to buy bottles. Furthermore all our main swimming ponds and lakes are checked regularly for dangerous bacterias.

2012-01-10 9:56 AM
in reply to: #3981609

User image

Regular
Utrecht
tmoran80 - 2012-01-10 4:05 PM

Do you you do this drill with fins?  If not I would suggest you try as you can really focus on your technique and can keep a decent speed.  

Niezels - 2012-01-10 7:18 AM 

No it was without fins (which I have to buy one day). But with this training we do all excersizes as a group. so with about 8 per lane we start every 5 seconds. Lanes are divided by speed so there is no need to overtake anyone. Downside is that you do not have the option to put on fins since that will add speed. I do have a buoy which I can use if to tired.

2012-01-10 9:57 AM
in reply to: #3980908

User image

Expert

Interresting- I know you are a golfer but how did you get into teaching Golf Management?  Did you create the program or was it something the school has always had?

kcgolf - 2012-01-09 8:13 PM

I teach at St.Clair College in Windsor Ontario. I actually run a Business Administration Professional Golf Management Program. It is a 3 year business diploma for individuals interstes in making the industry of golf a profession.

2012-01-10 9:59 AM
in reply to: #3981681

User image

Regular
Utrecht
KeriKadi - 2012-01-10 4:34 PM

Sorry I missed song day yesterday - my favorite of all time is hard to pick but maybe Everlong and right now Learning to Walk both by the Foo Fighters who I will be traveling to see in New Orleans this May

Foo Fighters rock!! I was able to see them during a festival in Germany last year. The ended up giving a 3 1/2 show. You make me jealous.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 43