BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ATLrunr's IM/HIM group CLOSED and training!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2012-05-07 8:22 PM
in reply to: #4179709

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: ATLrunr's IM/HIM group CLOSED and training!!

japewang - 2012-04-29 5:39 PM Much better week this week.  Cut some pool swims because the chlorine was bothering my throat and nose (still getting over sickness).  But I had a great 5 hour ride on saturday and 1.75 hour run today.

how did it go?

2012-05-08 8:38 AM
in reply to: #3950650

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova

Hey everyone!  The race went well. Sorry for the delay, but I had to run out of town on business yesterday.

I posted a full RR on my facebook you can read here: https://www.facebook.com/notes/jeremy-wang/2012-bassman-him-race-report/10150871866814066 (I hate the BT RR forms).  

Went 6:06 and tried to keep IM pacing and nutrition since it was a dress rehearsal for IM.  Had a bad swim.  Not sure why.  Swim is usually a strength for me.  Had fun.  No stress or expectation, just had a lot of fun.  Wish I had broken 6 hours though .

2012-05-08 4:50 PM
in reply to: #4196123

User image

Max HR.  What's funny is I did my VO2 max a while back and the percentages were off of predicted VT/LT HR. Now I gotta figure out the calculations to make them match up so I'm in the proper zones.
2012-05-08 7:35 PM
in reply to: #4198332

User image

Extreme Veteran
How did you determine your max and what tests did you do for V02?
2012-05-08 7:36 PM
in reply to: #4196776

User image

Extreme Veteran
japewang - 2012-05-08 8:38 AM

Hey everyone!  The race went well. Sorry for the delay, but I had to run out of town on business yesterday.

I posted a full RR on my facebook you can read here: https://www.facebook.com/notes/jeremy-wang/2012-bassman-him-race-report/10150871866814066 (I hate the BT RR forms).  

Went 6:06 and tried to keep IM pacing and nutrition since it was a dress rehearsal for IM.  Had a bad swim.  Not sure why.  Swim is usually a strength for me.  Had fun.  No stress or expectation, just had a lot of fun.  Wish I had broken 6 hours though .

Awesome job!! So close.. anyways.. if you weren't 'racing' it then I guess you had something in the tank for the sub 6 for next time? Very good job...

2012-05-08 7:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
btw, link doesn't work!

2012-05-09 7:17 AM
in reply to: #4198621

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova

cut/paste

Prep race for IMCDA.  I didn't "taper" into this race but didn't train right through it either.  Had a good dress rehearsal practicing my IM nutrition and pacing using my HRM.  Had a great day.  Race was a lot of fun!  Got to race with Jim Balcom who is a new running friend (I guess triathlete friend too!) from NYC.  He did much better than I did although my swim split was better by a single minute!

Swim: 42:18

T1: 4:33

Bike: 3:08:21

T2: 3:57

Run: 2:05:58

Total: 6:06:05

Prerace: Got up bright and early in Absecon, NJ.  Great night's sleep.  Had a banana, PB&J sandwich, protein.  Sipped gatorade until the start.  Got to registration and was glad I got their on Saturday to pick up my packet.  Leisurely set up in transition.  Great transition area for both bike and run covered in tarps.  No sand or dirt!  The sprint racers went off before the Half racers.  It was a LONG wait for race start.

Swim: Had about 30ish guys in our group.  Not a ton, so the in water wave start was very calm.  Got out in front and really had trouble keeping my heart rate in check.  I think I was just really excited to be racing.  Calmed down and settled in for a relaxing 2 loop swim.  Fought my wetsuit at bit.  I think the top is to big and weighed me down some (Chelsea, I will need to try yours on before IM).  Surprised that I was so slow in the water.  I was targeting 36 minutes, so a full 6 minutes slow was shocking to me.  Not sure what happened or if the course was measured long.  Alot of guys were saying how the course looked way too long for 1.2 miles.  The bike and the run were a bit long, but the swim should have been 1.2.  Oh well.  Know that I can push a bit harder after getting into a rhythm.  Maybe pick up the kick too.  I was giving a weak kick the whole time.  Well...weaker than usual.

T1: Not a bad T1, but not great either.  Put on cut of soccer socks as sleeves because it was a bit chilly (thanks for the tip Haley).

Bike:  Super flat bike on a two loop course.  I actually hammered it for the first 15 miles because I was kind of ticked off about the subpar swim.  Slowed it up to settle into a shade above my pacing for IM based on HR.  Had a tailwind out but then pretty good head and crosswinds on the way back in.  The tailwind was gone on the 2nd loop out, but was pretty bad with crosswinds on the loop 2 in.  Pleased with my time here on a flat course.  Nutrition went great, but I was a bit overhydrated and needed to go 3 or 4 times.

T2:  Good T2.  Had some trouble with my calf sleeves and chatted with Ivy and Isaac.

Run:  I really liked this run course even though its like a maze with all the twists and turns.  You go by alot of campgrounds on pack sand and soft asphalt.  I did not like the portion that was on the beach in deeper sand.  Come on...this isn't warrior dash.  People could get hurt running on that stuff.  I had a great pace of low to mid 8s for the first 7 miles and then started getting real pushback from my legs.  I didn't push it since no need to risk injury with my A race being IMCDA and the sub 6 goal out the window with the poor swim and leisurely transitions.  Saw Isaac at the finish and gave a high five before crossing.

Post race: Great post race food spread and got a massage.  Just got going so we could hit the road home.

I had a lot of fun at this race.  I think part was because I wasn't stressed at all because I was viewing it as a long training day and didn't go all out in any discipline.  I was  disappointed to not go sub 6, but considering that I didn't push it in any discipline and I was only 5 minutes slower than my PR, I'll take it.  Plus the bike was 58 miles and the run was 13.2.  So i guess it was a 72.4 not a 70.3 . It was just fun to be racing.  The other athletes were great.  This was a FAST field.  Not alot of newbies or other "recreational" triathletes.  This was a serious early season HIM that brought out alot of serious other racers.  That said, lots of chatting and sharing about goals and races.  It was a good crowd.

Now...

As a swag guy, I was disappointed with the swag from this race.  Looking back at my Chelan RR I now feel kind of bad for criticizing what I got for $165.  Bassman was more expensive and you got much less.  Cotton tshirt, not much else.  The medal was pretty cool.  The volunteers were friendly enough, but not great organization.  Also the aid stations on the run are placed at weird spots.  Sometimes you'd go for several miles before seeing one, other times they would be .5 miles apart.  This made it hard for me, because my pacing strategy is to always walk the aid stations.  That being said I only had one walking stretch for about a tenth of a mile (still walked the aid stations). 

The post race food spread was great, but overall I was disappointed with the on course offerings and the swag .  I know...whiny whiny. I just think the sport is getting to the point where we want and need to support local small races, but when you're charging almost as much as IM, I'd rather just pay the little extra bit and feel treated like a rockstar.  That's all.  Maybe that makes me a bad person.  Whatever. 

That being said, I would do this race again.  Just because it is early, it brings out a faster group than most races.  Also, I'd love to go sub 6 here as it really is flat flat flat and it technically is a bit longer than the official HIM length.

Ivy and Isaac were awesome.  It was fun to have Isaac there and see that he recognized me in transitions and when I'm running by.  He knows that something "different" is going on and he was a great kid all weekend.  All in all, a total success and I feel good about my training headed into IMCDA.  I might not be as fast as I want for IMCDA, but I feel confident that I'll finish.  And that's all that matters for your first IM!

2012-05-09 4:44 PM
in reply to: #4198617

User image

The test I did was the Aerobic Capacity Testing IMETT (VT/AT) and LT Predictor. The test was I ran on a treadmill for 10 minutes in 20 stages. The one thing I got out of his is my VT is 171 bpm and VO2 max is :60/mil/kg/min.  It has zone section that says Calculated HR zones based Up Predicted VT HR.  Don't think any of it will be much good for determining my max HR.  Guess I'll use the 220-age thing.
2012-05-09 8:12 PM
in reply to: #4199137

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cool! Glad to get to read it. Sounds like a good training day. Running in deep sand is tough. To what do you attribute your run slowdown?
2012-05-09 9:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Run slowdown. Probably shouldnt have gone out at 815-830 miles is the big one. My PR half mary open mile splits were a shade over 8 mins/mi. Also i didnt 'taper' into this race, tried to keep up the run and bike volume during the week and week previous, ie trained 'through' this race.

Paying for it this week recovery is taking an extra day!
2012-05-25 7:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova

Hey everyone!  I'm sure we are all busy busy training

I'm in my last 2 (might stretch into 3) peak weeks for IMCDA.  Feeling great.  Got 16 hours in last week with my first century.  Over the long weekend I'm going long on 3 days with a rest in between on Sunday because I was travelling all this week and could only get some quality runs in with short swims.

Hows everyone else doing?

2012-05-25 7:22 AM

User image

Japewang-Good to hear the training is going good for you.  I'm sure you are getting excited for race day.  Nothing like taper time when all you want to do is train to make sure you are ready.  I hate the waiting game. 

I actually signed up for IMKY on August 26th.  Yes, my second tri, but whatever.  I'm sure it'll be hot, but who cares, it'll be an adventure.  I'm doing a duathlon tomorrow then doing my first century ride on Monday.  Doing a 1 mile swim race June 17th, possibly going up to Louisville and doing the Cardinal Harbour HIM (same bike course as IMKY) on July 14th, 2 mille swim race on July 21st, then IMKY on Aug 26th.  My wife says I'm addicted to this tri stuff cause I can't sleep at night just cause my plotting my next workout or dreaming about racing.  Yes, REDONKOULOUS, but I'm having a good time.

Good luck on IMCDA.  I'll be on Ironman live seeing how you are doing.

2012-06-06 7:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova

Joey,

Best of luck at IMKY and your training.  How exciting!  Make sure to keep us posted.

I hit my taper phase for IMCDA...Can't believe its only 3 weeks away.  I had a really good last 3 weeks of peak phase, culminating in a 17.5 hour week last week.  I'm dog tired right now and having some trouble getting in my weekly workouts for this first week of taper, but I feel good about my fitness for race day!

2012-06-27 7:52 PM
in reply to: #4247291

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Hey everyone  I just wanted to say thanks to you all as part of this group.  I finished IMCDA in 13:50 this last weekend.  It was everything I dreamed it would be.  Thanks for all your help and advice during training!
2012-06-27 8:00 PM

User image

Awesome job Japewang. I'm sure that is a big relief getting the first one knocked out of the way. That swim looked CRAZY.  Once again, congrats.
2012-07-18 11:17 AM
in reply to: #4283908

User image

Extreme Veteran
Holy crap, that's amazing! Huge congrats to you... Great time, too. What's next for ya!?...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ATLrunr's IM/HIM group CLOSED and training!! Rss Feed  

of 14