BT Development Mentor Program Archives » We Don't Just Tri - We Do Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2013-04-04 10:08 PM
in reply to: #4556995

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Subject: RE: We Don't Just Tri - We Do Group - Closed
Hey all.

After going back and forth on what to do with the upcoming Napa race - I'm going all in - against my better judgement. I figured if I don't drown on the swim it is just a matter of how long I'm on the course.

I have barely trained in three week. There is tapering and then there is ... well, this is not that. I'm going to train slow but long this weekend and do some easy workouts this week and head to Napa and give it the college try. If all goes well, I'll put the goal to improve upon Arizona IM for another time - perhaps at the Lake Havasu HITs race - or an Ironman branded race next year.

Bull - bravo. I'm impressed and motivated by your efforts.

We're coming into the sweet spot of all our schedules. I'm looking forward to all of your stories of success.

I will get past this race and then get back on track with training for the rest of my season and look to improve my performance in those races.

Ah, the life of an age grouper. I need some stability in my schedule.

Edited by sundevil87 2013-04-04 10:26 PM

2013-04-04 10:20 PM
in reply to: #4687362

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Mountaindan - 2013-04-04 5:46 PM

tukutuku - 2013-04-04 7:30 PM

Wow, your training volumes are impressive, it will pay off in races.  This weekend is my triathlon workshop. I'm somehow concerned how I will be able to keep up with the group, I know couple people who are going to participate, and they are very serious athletes, from the 9h Ironman league. And my greatest athletic ambition is to run 10K  averaging 8:30 min/mile. Oh well. It is good that I'm very busy at work and at home this week, don't have time to worry.

Keep training.

The greatest part of Triathlons for me is that I can compete against myself and not have to worry about how I stack up against others and I have never run into any condescending triathletes, I know they're out there, but everyone has been nothing but encouraging to me.

Someone reminded me once that no matter how slow I am, I am still doing more than most would ever attempt.

Spring is almost here in the North East, Get out and enjoy it! 

Great approach. One of the great things about this sport is that after you've done any race at any distance you gain a great/er appreciation of what it takes to perform at the highest level. To be in a workshop with athletes that are in the 9hr IM club understanding what it takes to get to that level is what makes this different than other sports.
2013-04-05 8:29 AM
in reply to: #4687359

User image

Denver, CO
Mountaindan - 2013-04-04 5:41 PM
jmac5032 - 2013-04-04 7:34 PM 1.6 wm
6x800 repeats w/ 2min jog ri
1.6 cd
800- 2:39
800- 2:42
800- 2:52
And then, I fell apart....
finished with a 1/2 mile cooldown jog.

The goal today was (6) 800 meter repeats and I felt good on the first two but then on the uphill repeat I was completely gassed as I slowed to a 2:52. Not sure what happened but I called it a day as I just felt like I had nothing left. Maybe it was Tuesdays 4 mile run that left me a bit fatigued. Best to back off and live to fight another day....Smile

Looks like a pretty good pace! I need to do some speed work! I might be able to do that pace if I was running down hill. I'm more of a pack mule than a rabbit!

Yep sometimes our body tells us that it is time to take it a little easy, best to listen and come back stronger.

Thanks Dan. I guess as I reflect on the workout from yesterday I didnt go into the intervals with a good enough pace plan. I should have been running no faster than a 5:40 pace equivalent. I must have thought I was 18 again!! Anyway I will attempt this workout again next week and will ensure I am completely fresh. I think fast run per week is enough for me at this point.

2013-04-07 11:20 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Hello everyone,

I hope all is well on the training front! Personally, yesterday was a great day for training where I was able to get in a long 3500 yard interval swim and 10 mile run outside. Both went very well and I did them both pretty much back to back. Also got to test out the HEED powder for the first time instead of using gels on the run. It tastes ok to me so my plan will be to continue to use it. The only thing I did notice different was that at times I wish I had straight water in my other bottle along with the HEED as it made my mouth dry. Also I was not accustomed to feeling like I had something other than an empty stomach during a long run. It was different with the HEED but not something I couldnt tolerate. I know it was just the calories I was getting. Felt great after the run and didnt feel tired or depleted. Next will be to try it out on the bike.

My wife has puppy fever today so I think we are off to the shelter to take a look. I didnt get quite as many miles on the bike this week as I wanted but later I will try and squeeze in an indoor session.

Also, for those of you that ever wondered what pace you should be doing for speed or tempo work for a given goal race time, check this link out:

www.mcmillanrunning.com

Put in your current and goal times, race distances and hit the training tab and there you go....I should have looked at this before my 800's earlier this week and saved some face!Laughing

Take care,

Jeff

2013-04-07 3:58 PM

User image

Well my first Tri(sprint) is in the books @ White Lake N.C.  Really happy with my results especially considering the conditions. This morning temp was 39 degrees and the water was 54. This was my first open water swim and with a wetsuit. Definetley wasnt ready for those temps. Total time was 1:31:02 my biggest issues were being able to control my breathing in that cold of water. Was 500m in(of 750) before I could get into some sort of regular form. Then both feet went completly numb on the  bike, and didnt have any feeling in them til the 2mile mark of the run. But most important things are : I learned some things and HAD A BLAST!!!!
2013-04-07 4:09 PM
in reply to: #4690290

Spring, Texas
dpg31 - 2013-04-07 3:58 PMWell my first Tri(sprint) is in the books @ White Lake N.C.  Really happy with my results especially considering the conditions. This morning temp was 39 degrees and the water was 54. This was my first open water swim and with a wetsuit. Definetley wasnt ready for those temps. Total time was 1:31:02 my biggest issues were being able to control my breathing in that cold of water. Was 500m in(of 750) before I could get into some sort of regular form. Then both feet went completly numb on the  bike, and didnt have any feeling in them til the 2mile mark of the run. But most important things are : I learned some things and HAD A BLAST!!!!
Congratulations! Way to go with your first Tri!

2013-04-07 4:38 PM

User image

Denver, CO
dpg31 - 2013-04-07 2:58 PMWell my first Tri(sprint) is in the books @ White Lake N.C.  Really happy with my results especially considering the conditions. This morning temp was 39 degrees and the water was 54. This was my first open water swim and with a wetsuit. Definetley wasnt ready for those temps. Total time was 1:31:02 my biggest issues were being able to control my breathing in that cold of water. Was 500m in(of 750) before I could get into some sort of regular form. Then both feet went completly numb on the  bike, and didnt have any feeling in them til the 2mile mark of the run. But most important things are : I learned some things and HAD A BLAST!!!!
Good job!
2013-04-07 7:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
dpg31 - 2013-04-07 2:58 PM

Well my first Tri(sprint) is in the books @ White Lake N.C.  Really happy with my results especially considering the conditions. This morning temp was 39 degrees and the water was 54. This was my first open water swim and with a wetsuit. Definetley wasnt ready for those temps. Total time was 1:31:02 my biggest issues were being able to control my breathing in that cold of water. Was 500m in(of 750) before I could get into some sort of regular form. Then both feet went completly numb on the  bike, and didnt have any feeling in them til the 2mile mark of the run. But most important things are : I learned some things and HAD A BLAST!!!!

Glad you had a blast. Congrats on completing your first tri.

The water temps in Napa next week are supposed to.be in the 54 degree range. I dont think I.am looking forward to that at all. I am.ordering a neoprene cap for this race. I am not sure if booties are legal.or not. if they are I need some of those too. Anything to keep warm.

Thom
2013-04-07 7:46 PM

User image

Regular
North Carolina
Great job! I live about 50 miles from White Lake and had thought about doing the Sprint this weekend, but te water temps a little too low for me. Not all that wild about swimming anyhow, LOL. My AprilmTri will ge the Tri Mayberry in Mt Airy, then the following weekend I'm running the Dunn Erwin Carenet Trail run with my wife. In May I'm planning to run the 36 North Tri in Clemmons.
2013-04-07 8:16 PM

HAD A BLAST- that is most important. Congratulations!

2013-04-07 8:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
What a gorgeous.morning in Colorado today. Of course that means a blizzard tomorrow an Tuesday.

Did a 9 mile run yesterday and a 30 mile bike today. Figuring that not much in the way of additive conditioning was possible this close to the race I just got out on the road to.see.how.things felt. Both events were good. This was the first ride on the road after all the trainer rides. I was looking for some level of validation of my hope that the trainer was in fact more difficult than what I will.experience in Napa. In terms of.output effort to get up the hills.and the recovery time down hill I think it was. It is now a matter of is the 3 1/2 hours on the trainer going to be enough to keep me on the road for the full 112 miles. As long as my quads don't totally spaz out toward the end I will be ok. I am confident the difficulty of the rides around here are more than those in Napa.

I hope to get a familiarization ride on Friday in Napa. If the course is as I hope - no issues. If it turns out to be that I'm off - I may make a last minute decision to drop to the HIM.

2013-04-08 9:29 AM

User image

Denver, CO
dpg31 - 2013-04-07 2:58 PMWell my first Tri(sprint) is in the books @ White Lake N.C.  Really happy with my results especially considering the conditions. This morning temp was 39 degrees and the water was 54. This was my first open water swim and with a wetsuit. Definetley wasnt ready for those temps. Total time was 1:31:02 my biggest issues were being able to control my breathing in that cold of water. Was 500m in(of 750) before I could get into some sort of regular form. Then both feet went completly numb on the  bike, and didnt have any feeling in them til the 2mile mark of the run. But most important things are : I learned some things and HAD A BLAST!!!!
2013-04-08 9:29 AM

User image

Denver, CO

dpg31 - 2013-04-07 2:58 PM Well my first Tri(sprint) is in the books @ White Lake N.C.  Really happy with my results especially considering the conditions. This morning temp was 39 degrees and the water was 54. This was my first open water swim and with a wetsuit. Definetley wasnt ready for those temps. Total time was 1:31:02 my biggest issues were being able to control my breathing in that cold of water. Was 500m in(of 750) before I could get into some sort of regular form. Then both feet went completly numb on the  bike, and didnt have any feeling in them til the 2mile mark of the run. But most important things are : I learned some things and HAD A BLAST!!!!

What things did you learn if you don't mind me asking? I am still up for my first attempt in May. Anything you want to share would be much appreciated. Great time by the way!

Jeff

Edited by jmac5032 2013-04-08 9:31 AM
2013-04-08 11:22 AM
in reply to: #4690460

User image

Thom,

The biggest thing for me was trying to exhale underwater. Had that "gasp"reflex and it really took me about 10minutes into the swim to get used to and relaxed enough to have any kind of rthym. I would really try to get into the water 15minute before the start and keep your face in as much as possible. I swam barefooted and didnt have any problems with my feet(or hands) I did use ears plugs which I think helped, My wife seen a lot of people exiting the water with the"drunk walk". Good Luck

2013-04-08 11:23 AM
in reply to: #4690516

User image

Bull,

I'll be at the Clemmons event, hope to see you there.

2013-04-08 12:04 PM
in reply to: #4691161

User image

Jeff,

This was my first open water swim, and the temp. was a big factor. I used a full wetsuit, which I was glad I did. Everyone pulled from the water was wearing sleeveless or just a trisuit. I used silicone earplugs to keep cold water out. Didnt use a neoprene swim cap, just used my regular TYR cap and doubled up with the event cap(which they provided) Didnt use booties and my feet were ok during the swim, but had problems with them getting cold on the bike. So I dont know if they were getting cold already from the swim and I just finished them off on the bike. I didnt wear socks on the bike.I wished I would have taken the time in T1 and put some on, or had some feet warmers for the bike. It really hurt my run. I would defn. have multiple options set up in transition for as many scenerios as possible. Back to the swim tho, I would start as slow as your practice pace and build from there. I did learn that the faster swimmers are pretty ruthless when they pass you. I had 2 swimmers come completley over my back and pushing me under. When you  feel them hit and grab your feet and start up your backside just hang on.LOL  It was reconmended to me to really get your legs going the last 50m and I think that helped, We had a 300yd run to T1 and I  went by a lot of people struggling to get there legs under them. Transition: I would tell you again, I think its a good idea to plan different options and go with your gut on what to wear. Bike: our course was a 2 lap 7mile course(really flat) when I started my first lap I was riding with the fast riders starting their 2nd lap. Which I think was good for me, It really helped me keep my pace up.(one thing tho, its a little rough to be pedaling 23/24 mph and guys and gals are passing you like you have a flat)Then on the 2nd lap I was having  a ton of slower traffic to deal with. I just wasnt agressive enough on passing, and was to worried about dradting zone and lane violations. But I would say (for me)go as hard as you're comfortable with on the bike, but give yourself a little bit to recover (ease up a bit the last mile)so you're not just wasted in T2. On the run, my feet were numb from the cold.but My plan was to go out about 90% of my 5k pace for the first mile then pick it up to 5k pace all the way home. Ended up going out really slow but once the feeling came back I was able to run a 6:20 last mile (6:40 is my 5k pace) So to make this short story longer. I would go with as many options as i could for T1&T2, start swim slow and build to finish. Bike as hard as you're comfortable with but recover the last mile. On the run get your legs under you then finish strong.(the majority of the people that were passing me at the beginning of the run, were really struggling when I passed them back). Save a little for the kick to the finish line, Your finish line photo will look better if you're smiling , and dont have that look of agony on it. But just have fun!!!

2013-04-08 1:44 PM
in reply to: #4691546

User image

Denver, CO
dpg31 - 2013-04-08 11:04 AM

Jeff,

This was my first open water swim, and the temp. was a big factor. I used a full wetsuit, which I was glad I did. Everyone pulled from the water was wearing sleeveless or just a trisuit. I used silicone earplugs to keep cold water out. Didnt use a neoprene swim cap, just used my regular TYR cap and doubled up with the event cap(which they provided) Didnt use booties and my feet were ok during the swim, but had problems with them getting cold on the bike. So I dont know if they were getting cold already from the swim and I just finished them off on the bike. I didnt wear socks on the bike.I wished I would have taken the time in T1 and put some on, or had some feet warmers for the bike. It really hurt my run. I would defn. have multiple options set up in transition for as many scenerios as possible. Back to the swim tho, I would start as slow as your practice pace and build from there. I did learn that the faster swimmers are pretty ruthless when they pass you. I had 2 swimmers come completley over my back and pushing me under. When you  feel them hit and grab your feet and start up your backside just hang on.LOL  It was reconmended to me to really get your legs going the last 50m and I think that helped, We had a 300yd run to T1 and I  went by a lot of people struggling to get there legs under them. Transition: I would tell you again, I think its a good idea to plan different options and go with your gut on what to wear. Bike: our course was a 2 lap 7mile course(really flat) when I started my first lap I was riding with the fast riders starting their 2nd lap. Which I think was good for me, It really helped me keep my pace up.(one thing tho, its a little rough to be pedaling 23/24 mph and guys and gals are passing you like you have a flat)Then on the 2nd lap I was having  a ton of slower traffic to deal with. I just wasnt agressive enough on passing, and was to worried about dradting zone and lane violations. But I would say (for me)go as hard as you're comfortable with on the bike, but give yourself a little bit to recover (ease up a bit the last mile)so you're not just wasted in T2. On the run, my feet were numb from the cold.but My plan was to go out about 90% of my 5k pace for the first mile then pick it up to 5k pace all the way home. Ended up going out really slow but once the feeling came back I was able to run a 6:20 last mile (6:40 is my 5k pace) So to make this short story longer. I would go with as many options as i could for T1&T2, start swim slow and build to finish. Bike as hard as you're comfortable with but recover the last mile. On the run get your legs under you then finish strong.(the majority of the people that were passing me at the beginning of the run, were really struggling when I passed them back). Save a little for the kick to the finish line, Your finish line photo will look better if you're smiling , and dont have that look of agony on it. But just have fun!!!

Thanks Patrick. That sounds like a very cold swim indeed! I am a little nervous with swimming in a crowd or being swam over so I appreciate the info. Did you do the event with a garmin or HRT? I train with a Garmin 305 but am trying to figure out if/how I want to race with it.

I could either put it on my wrist in T1 and leave it there for the duration or put it on a quick release on the bike, then switch it to my wrist in T2. I think there is enough going on for a first timer so option A is what I might do instead. It will be a little harder to see on the bike but not too bad. Also I probably wont wear the HR strap since I know what my bike and run paces should be based on speed.

Jeff

2013-04-08 3:26 PM
in reply to: #4691773

User image

I used my garmin for the bike and run. I have the quick release and didnt want to take a chance of it coming off in the swim. I had it preset and on the bike. I also didnt wear the wrist strap on the swim(Was afraid it might catch on my wetsuit when I was taking it off.) I just put the strap on the biggest size and slid it over my left aero bar and the gps/watch face was in the quick release. After a few miles had gone and I had settled in a bit, I could slide the strap off the bar with my right hand, just lift my left wrist a bit and slide it on. Then just pull the strap up to tighten. Never had to come out of aero or go thru the problems putting the strap on in t1. But I didnt turn my HR alarm off from training and had to listen to it the whole ride, which was annoying. My HR strap was fine under my wetsuit.

2013-04-08 6:12 PM

Hi there,My tri bootcamp is over, and I'm glad I did it. It was not as horrible as I expected, although couple times I wanted to jump in the car and run out of there. Nobody asked to do one arm pushups and IM pros had their own camp separate from us. On learning curve I zoomed fast forward,it probably will take some time to digest everything. And it was also fun to work with a group, finding strenghts and weaknesses, meeting new people. So if you have an opportunity,definitely go.
2013-04-08 6:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar

Great job Patrick! Sounds like you had a very successful first Tri. Glad to see you chose to wear the ear plugs, cold water doesn't effect everyone, but finding out can make for a very uncomfortable experience, I found out the hard way luckily on a club mini tri!

I have trouble with cold feet on the bike a lot, even during the summer in Maine the water temps very seldom get above 64 and can drop substantially on a regular basis. I may try putting some toe warmers in my bike shoes? I hate running with numb feet, feels like i have concrete on them.

Thom,

Good luck on your race, 54 sounds pretty cold, especially for 2.4 miles. and watch out for the Glory Hole, haha.

Looking forward to seeing the results. Do they have live tracking at all?

2013-04-08 7:46 PM
in reply to: #4692191

Simsbury, CT
Sounds like a great opportunity you were able to take advantage of.

2013-04-08 8:04 PM
in reply to: #4691773

Simsbury, CT

Thanks Patrick. That sounds like a very cold swim indeed! I am a little nervous with swimming in a crowd or being swam over so I appreciate the info. Did you do the event with a garmin or HRT? I train with a Garmin 305 but am trying to figure out if/how I want to race with it.

I could either put it on my wrist in T1 and leave it there for the duration or put it on a quick release on the bike, then switch it to my wrist in T2. I think there is enough going on for a first timer so option A is what I might do instead. It will be a little harder to see on the bike but not too bad. Also I probably wont wear the HR strap since I know what my bike and run paces should be based on speed.

Jeff

Jeff, 

On my first Tri the adrenalin (and overconfidence) got the best of me.  I wanted to keep ahead of the bulk of swimmers and so I placed myself towards the front.  I was able to stay ahead for all of, hum, well, 60 seconds or so.  I then realized that I could never keep up that pace and had to slow down which brought about a second problem.  Everyone who was behind me at the beginning started to pass me which lead to push, pulls, kicks, etc.  All unintended but none the less, painfully felt.  By the time I got to the bike, I was pretty spent.  On the later Sprints, i repositioned myself away from the middle of the pack and since learned to pace myself - focus on a rhythm from breathing and arm stroke.    As for my watch, I wear it for 3 events.   If I am wearing a full wet suit, I will put that on and then fold back a couple of inches on the left arm and then put my watch on.  That way, when I peel the wetsuit, the sleeve rolls over the watch without a problem 

a

2013-04-08 10:29 PM

User image

Denver, CO
Thanks for the advice!
2013-04-09 8:27 PM
in reply to: #4691546

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
dpg31 - 2013-04-08 11:04 AM

Jeff,

Great report. Lots of good info for all of us in here. I don't have a neoprene cap yet - have been meaning to get one - hopefully I can before the race. I have the ear plugs but I haven't actually used them. I have heard good things about ear plugs - keeping the water out of the ears - can be helpful to prevent dizziness and "vertigo" coming out of the water.

Race reports from last year's Napa race pointed out being prepared for cold coming out of T1. I'm going to take your experience and plan on wearing socks on the bike. I'm also going to be prepared to wear a light weight cycling jacket to cut the cold in the early morning. I can always dump them if I have to at the half way point when I get the bike special needs bag.

The swim can be an all out battle. If that it is a cause of anxiety you can move to the outside and stay out of the fray. One of the unintended benefits, however, is that you can get a drafting advantage and better swim time in a crowd. I did much better than I expected in AZIM because of the benefit of the other swimmers. However, I did get abused - kicked, punched, swam over etc.

Thom
2013-04-09 8:56 PM
in reply to: #4692226

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Mountaindan - 2013-04-08 5:44 PM

Great job Patrick! Sounds like you had a very successful first Tri. Glad to see you chose to wear the ear plugs, cold water doesn't effect everyone, but finding out can make for a very uncomfortable experience, I found out the hard way luckily on a club mini tri!

I have trouble with cold feet on the bike a lot, even during the summer in Maine the water temps very seldom get above 64 and can drop substantially on a regular basis. I may try putting some toe warmers in my bike shoes? I hate running with numb feet, feels like i have concrete on them.

Thom,

Good luck on your race, 54 sounds pretty cold, especially for 2.4 miles. and watch out for the Glory Hole, haha.

Looking forward to seeing the results. Do they have live tracking at all?

Where is that Glory Hole anyway? It looks pretty alien! Would hate to get caught up in it

The water temp and swim are the most worrying going into the race. The cold can have a real effect on a person. I did my first HIM in really cold water with just a tri suit. I survived. I am hopeful that the temps will be warmer than usual and that the wet suit will provide enough relief and help warm up my body as I work through the swim. As I said above, I hope to get a cap and I'll wear the ear plugs to help mitigate the effects.

Thom
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » We Don't Just Tri - We Do Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 22