BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2013-02-24 10:04 AM
in reply to: #4571585

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Closed

Hah!  That's a good article.  You might also like this video someone forwarded me to the other day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KTEgLKhjIw

Also, The Rules To Being A Triathlete (I think one of the rules should be that deep down we're just about all tri-dorks and violate at least a handful of rules on a regular basis): http://badig.com/2012/03/the-rules-to-being-a-triathlete/

2013-02-24 10:40 PM

User image

New user

Irvine

Planning to restart training after twisting my ankle (badly) running at night about 4 weeks ago.  Seeing a physio this week and hope to start posting training hours on March 1 for my June 1 Olympic.

Bill Smith

2013-02-25 12:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Ugh, kids have a stomach bug, wife's birthday was today and her present was the inability to rid the faint stench of toddler vomit and diarrhea from the house.  

Since about Christmas I've been pretty good with eating better, and I'm down to my lowest weight in the last 10 years by a couple pounds, but every couple weeks I have a day where I lapse due to stress or whatever.  Today was that day.  My issue is I can't just have one sour patch kid, or whatever it is.  Once I have one, I have another and another and then I've gone through a pound of sour patch kids.  So I just avoid it all entirely.  I'm having a harder time cutting out the salty stuff, but based on my knowledge of my own weakness I've done pretty good about eliminating the candy and sweets.  But today was less than optimal.  I also tend to eat a lot better on training days, so Sunday is a weak day as it's been my one rest day.  Excuses excuses.

That having been said, I'm personally keeping the cheddar cheese and peanut butter industries afloat on a daily basis.  This can't be helped.

2013-02-25 1:50 AM
in reply to: #4635479

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia
jmholzman - 2013-02-25 5:23 PM

Ugh, kids have a stomach bug, wife's birthday was today and her present was the inability to rid the faint stench of toddler vomit and diarrhea from the house.  

Since about Christmas I've been pretty good with eating better, and I'm down to my lowest weight in the last 10 years by a couple pounds, but every couple weeks I have a day where I lapse due to stress or whatever.  Today was that day.  My issue is I can't just have one sour patch kid, or whatever it is.  Once I have one, I have another and another and then I've gone through a pound of sour patch kids.  So I just avoid it all entirely.  I'm having a harder time cutting out the salty stuff, but based on my knowledge of my own weakness I've done pretty good about eliminating the candy and sweets.  But today was less than optimal.  I also tend to eat a lot better on training days, so Sunday is a weak day as it's been my one rest day.  Excuses excuses.

That having been said, I'm personally keeping the cheddar cheese and peanut butter industries afloat on a daily basis.  This can't be helped.

I can relate to this. Lollies are tough to say no to for me, and when I have one it's one bag, not just one sweet. I'm also down to my lowest weight in a long time, but i had to record every single thing I ate to get here. Now with the exercise I'm doing I can relax on the food a little.

2013-02-25 1:53 AM
in reply to: #4635448

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia
WilliamSSmith - 2013-02-25 3:40 PM

Planning to restart training after twisting my ankle (badly) running at night about 4 weeks ago.  Seeing a physio this week and hope to start posting training hours on March 1 for my June 1 Olympic.

Bill Smith

That's awesome. I hope the physio gives you good news! Nothing worse than being injured when you want to be training.

I look forward to seeing your stats start coming through.

2013-02-25 10:46 AM
in reply to: #4635479

User image

Veteran
jmholzman - 2013-02-25 1:23 AM

This is me exactly, which is why I have to cut the sweets entirely, it's a slippery slope as they say, too many carbs at dinner equals bad snacking at night, and I like to alternate sweet and salty

However, if you are having one 'off' eating day, every two weeks, I wouldn't beat yourself up about it, that's really pretty good.  So long as it doesn't lead to an off week, or month!

Btw, sour patch kids are a low fat food lol you gotta find the silver lining somewhere!

2013-02-25 10:54 AM

User image

Veteran

Today....I FOUND THE POOL!

Well, actually, i knew where it was the whole time Embarassed just haven't been there

I did a spin class and then swam about 500 yards which for me was difficult because I use a nose clip when swimming due to a deviated septum and I forgot it.  BUT, rather than chuck the plan altogether, I muddled through.  Swimming slower helped and I figure it's good practice anyway to learn to at least get by without the clip.

Did a 6.5 mile run on Sunday, slow pace, and lots of aches and pains but I made it through.  Dr. is sending me for an mri to rule out stress fracture in the tibia, but I'm thinking it's just bad MTSS and he said if it is I can just keep pushing through until the 1/2 mary in 4 weeks, gulp!

TJ, haven't tried the aqua jogging yet but they do have belts at my pool so maybe later this week!

Happy Monday everyone!

Yvonne

2013-02-25 6:37 PM
in reply to: #4635951

User image

Master
St. Louis
Ybeal - 2013-02-25 10:46 AM

This is me exactly, which is why I have to cut the sweets entirely, it's a slippery slope as they say, too many carbs at dinner equals bad snacking at night, and I like to alternate sweet and salty

However, if you are having one 'off' eating day, every two weeks, I wouldn't beat yourself up about it, that's really pretty good.  So long as it doesn't lead to an off week, or month!

Btw, sour patch kids are a low fat food lol you gotta find the silver lining somewhere!

X2 on not eating yourself up for having a bad eating day every couple of weeks. As long as it is the exception, not the rule.

Does anyone have any cravings when eating healthy? When I first started to get better, I would have McDonalds fries cravings every few weeks. When I was heavy in training, I would go through bouts of craving protein (hard boiled eggs and cottage cheese) and salt.
2013-02-25 6:38 PM
in reply to: #4635964

User image

Master
St. Louis
Ybeal - 2013-02-25 10:54 AM

Well, actually, i knew where it was the whole time Embarassed just haven't been there

I did a spin class and then swam about 500 yards which for me was difficult because I use a nose clip when swimming due to a deviated septum and I forgot it.  BUT, rather than chuck the plan altogether, I muddled through.  Swimming slower helped and I figure it's good practice anyway to learn to at least get by without the clip.

Did a 6.5 mile run on Sunday, slow pace, and lots of aches and pains but I made it through.  Dr. is sending me for an mri to rule out stress fracture in the tibia, but I'm thinking it's just bad MTSS and he said if it is I can just keep pushing through until the 1/2 mary in 4 weeks, gulp!

TJ, haven't tried the aqua jogging yet but they do have belts at my pool so maybe later this week!

Happy Monday everyone!

Yvonne

Way to get to the pool and get it done!
2013-02-25 7:48 PM
in reply to: #4635964

User image

Veteran
Ybeal - 2013-02-25 11:54 AM

Happy Monday everyone!

Yvonne

Great day of training, Yvonne! Pat yourself on the back and keep up the good work!

2013-02-25 7:51 PM
in reply to: #4636788

User image

Veteran
ransick - 2013-02-25 7:37 PM
Ybeal - 2013-02-25 10:46 AM

X2 on not eating yourself up for having a bad eating day every couple of weeks. As long as it is the exception, not the rule. Does anyone have any cravings when eating healthy? When I first started to get better, I would have McDonalds fries cravings every few weeks. When I was heavy in training, I would go through bouts of craving protein (hard boiled eggs and cottage cheese) and salt.

When I'm deep into training I seem to eat everything in sight.  But, at the same time, I train better when I eat healthy, so I tend to mostly crave fairly healthy things.  I do better when I keep the crap out of my house so I'm not tempted by it.  Not an easy task wtih the 3 kids in the house.  It's a constant struggle.

But my real weakness is red wine!

2013-02-25 7:54 PM

User image

Veteran

Second swim lesson tonight and I'm definitely making progress.  All she had me do was swim laps and practice the new breathing.  I'd alternate between doing 50s breathing every 4th stroke, and then doing 150s breathing after 4, then 2, then 4, then 2, etc.  I think it's just a matter of finding a new rhythm.  Just gotta keep doing it, I suppose!

Jax

2013-02-25 7:56 PM
in reply to: #4635448

User image

Veteran
WilliamSSmith - 2013-02-24 11:40 PM

Bill Smith

Good luck with the healing and we look forward to having you back in March!

2013-02-25 9:47 PM
in reply to: #4636885

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
DaDooRunRun - 2013-02-25 5:51 PM 

When I'm deep into training I seem to eat everything in sight.  But, at the same time, I train better when I eat healthy, so I tend to mostly crave fairly healthy things.  I do better when I keep the crap out of my house so I'm not tempted by it.  Not an easy task wtih the 3 kids in the house.  It's a constant struggle.

But my real weakness is red wine!

I eat better on days when I train for two reasons: 1) If I'm out training I'm not in my kitchen snacking, and 2) After a good workout it's all I can do to drink my chocolate milk and if it was a morning workout choke down my smoothie or something.  I generally have no desire to eat after working out.  If I do I know I didn't work out hard or long enough.

2013-02-26 9:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Kids still sick...if anyone's looking to make a surge and come out on top for February now's the time!

Yesterday was swim/bike day.  I was disappointed I was going to miss both of my workouts for yesterday, and I had a hard time explaining to the wife why I couldn't just go for a run (which I could take one of the kids on).  It wasn't run day, it was swim/bike day!  After the long run on Saturday, my legs need the rest and I notice a definite difference in my muscles over those two days going into my tempo day on Tuesday.  The hard part of my strategy right now is that my run and swim workouts are pretty inflexible.  Masters swim is Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and my run workouts are on the calendar for Tuesday (tempo +/-), Thursday (sprint/interval/hill), Saturday (long).  Bike is more flexible and gets in where it can, so in an ideal weak I would bike M-W-F-Sat.  Haven't really had an ideal week yet though.  So hopefully today I bike and run, and I'm only down a swim workout for the week.  I just hate starting off a week already being down a workout.  And two rest days in a row just seems like a complete waste.

I have a good feeling about March. Hopefully everyone will be healthy, and my first tri of the year, the one with my coworkers, is mid-April, so I want to go strong through March and then start to taper shortly into April.

2013-02-27 12:24 PM
in reply to: #4624832

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

2013 Race Schedule

3/10 - Life Time Fitness Indoor Mini Sprint Tri - Jax

3/16 - shramrock 8k  in virginia beach - Yvonne

3/23 - NC Half Marathon - Yvonne

4/6  - Smithfield Sprint - Yvonne

4/7   - April Fool's HM - Tom

4/7   - Gatorade Sprint - Chrispy

4/13 - MS Mega Swim - Chrispy

4/14 - Carmel Sprint - Jax

4/14 - HITS - Napa Valley Olympic - Joe

4/20 - Muddy Buddy - Yvonne

4/20 - Grizzly HM - TJ

4/21 - 8K run Rutges - Tom

4/27 - Derby Festival HM - Jax

4/28 - Girls Run the World Sprint, Raleigh - Yvonne

4/28 - West Deptford Sprint - Tom

5/4  - Expedition Everest at Disney - Yvonne

5/25 - Soldier Field 10 miler - Dave

6/1   - Warrior Dash - Yvonne

6/9   - Kick it Tri (sprint) - Jax

6/22 - TriRock Sprint, Philadelphia - Yvonne

6/22 - Philadelphia sprint - Tom

6/29 - Biggest Loser 5k with the family, WV - Yvonne

7/14 - NYC Olympic tri - Tom

7/20 - NJ State Sprint - Tom

7/21 - Half Marathon - Chrispy

8/4   - Indy Olympic Tri - Jax

8/11 - Folsom Long Course (70.3) - Joe

8/25 - Louisville Ironman - Dave??

10/13- Chicago Marathon-Dave

10/13- Half Marathon - Chrispy

10/20- Around the Bay in a Day - Chrispy

11/2 - Monumental HM - Jax

11/3 - Noosa Olympic - Chrispy

Updated race schedule. It's getting full! Except for me. I have cancelled all my big races for the year. I will explain more later...

2013-02-27 1:06 PM
in reply to: #4629733

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Open

February Totals:

Swim         Bike             Run            Total Time

Joe              16550       106.84          50.10         20:45:05  Awesome swim training

Jax               8390         168.26          40.74         20:30:55  Still time for an upset

Sarah           1350         158.00          33.32         15:05:18  Careful...I'm sneaky 

TJ                6660         189.16         10.20         14:32:01   Great bike 

Chrispy        3445           56.73          54.31        14:13:02  You deserve an extra bold

Tom            1700           94.55           13.99         11:09:54  Great week of training 

Yvonne         525            46.22           30.64         10:36:33  Another good week 

Dave               0            148.00            9.00         10:35:20  Batman will rise again

Charlie            0              86.40          19.35         10:07:49   Injured reserve

Mike                0               0               41.00         07:38:50  Injured reserve - making a comeback?  

Chris               0               0             16.37           02:41:20

Kate             2100            0               3.00           01:24:43

Upcoming races:

2013-02-27 1:57 PM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

Good training numbers everyone! Is it just me, or is the competition heating up...?

I'll be having a run tonight, but that's it's for a while. Taking a few days off training before a full week of skiing with some mates. Then I'm staying in a hotel in New York for another week, and whilst it has a gym I am not sure if I will get in any exercise. I may not get back to proper training until March 25...!

April will be better, I promise!

2013-02-27 4:07 PM
in reply to: #4639238

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Sarah73 - 2013-02-27 11:06 AM

February Totals:

Joe              16550       106.84          50.10         20:45:05  Awesome swim training

Jax               8390         168.26          40.74         20:30:55  Still time for an upset

Sarah           1350         158.00          33.32         15:05:18  Careful...I'm sneaky 

Between taking care of the sick kids and getting sick myself, I haven't worked out since Saturday.  I won't be working out today.  I'm hoping to work out tomorrow but who knows.
2013-02-27 4:41 PM
in reply to: #4639588

User image

Veteran
jmholzman - 2013-02-27 5:07 PM
Sarah73 - 2013-02-27 11:06 AM

February Totals:

Between taking care of the sick kids and getting sick myself, I haven't worked out since Saturday.  I won't be working out today.  I'm hoping to work out tomorrow but who knows.

I've got a 30 minute run scheduled for the morning, but that's it for tomorrow.  I'm super tempted to amp it up tomorrow to ensure a victory for February, but my schedule just will not allow.  I have to take CH to the airport at 6am and then it's Single working Mommy Weekend until Monday, so my days are literally scheduled to the minute.  Won't get anything extra in!  A race to the finish for sure!  You guys sure are bringing out the competitor in me! 

Jax

2013-02-27 4:43 PM
in reply to: #4639348

User image

Veteran

cadnams - 2013-02-27 2:57 PM Good training numbers everyone! Is it just me, or is the competition heating up...? I'll be having a run tonight, but that's it's for a while. Taking a few days off training before a full week of skiing with some mates. Then I'm staying in a hotel in New York for another week, and whilst it has a gym I am not sure if I will get in any exercise. I may not get back to proper training until March 25...! April will be better, I promise!

Enjoy your break!

2013-02-27 6:37 PM
in reply to: #4639238

User image

Master
St. Louis
Sarah73 - 2013-02-27 1:06 PM

February Totals:

TJ                6660         189.16         10.20         14:32:01   Great bike 

Chrispy        3445           56.73          54.31        14:13:02  You deserve an extra bold

Tom            1700           94.55           13.99         11:09:54  Great week of training 

Yvonne         525            46.22           30.64         10:36:33  Another good week 

Dave               0            148.00            9.00         10:35:20  Batman will rise again

Charlie            0              86.40          19.35         10:07:49   Injured reserve

Mike                0               0               41.00         07:38:50  Injured reserve - making a comeback?  

Upcoming races:

Still injuries. Appointment with the doc Friday :-(
2013-02-28 8:56 PM
in reply to: #4639730

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
ransick - 2013-02-27 6:37 PM

February Totals:

Upcoming races:

Mike sorry to see this.  hope you will get this figured out! 

Nice Feb training people!!!!

Sooooo I FINALLY got my KK rock n roll bike trainer set up after much hassle.    Just want to be upfront, and hopefully motivate...  gonna really STEP IT UP!!  especially on the Bike and run in March,   So if you want to take March gonna have to really EARN it   :-)     Hee hee 

Edited by oriolepwr 2013-02-28 8:57 PM
2013-02-28 9:08 PM
in reply to: #4641316

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
oriolepwr - 2013-02-28 6:56 PM

February Totals:

Upcoming races:

Sooooo I FINALLY got my KK rock n roll bike trainer set up after much hassle.    Just want to be upfront, and hopefully motivate...  gonna really STEP IT UP!!  especially on the Bike and run in March,   So if you want to take March gonna have to really EARN it   :-)     Hee hee 

Oh that's how it's going to be, is it?  Well in all fairness, regarding the run, stepping it up from 9 miles isn't saying much...I mean you could double your mileage and still have less than half of say, 50 or so.

50 happens to have been my number but it was randomly chosen, I swear.  

I plan to step it up in March too.  I didn't have my bike for the first week and a half and I had the flu the last 5 days of the month.  I'm trying to step up my game in prep for the 4/14 tri, but in all seriousness I know you're a beast so I can only hope to give you some chase.  :bows:

Going to be a good month.

I am still recovering today so I didn't get to work out again, so as long as Jax ran for more than 15 minutes today she's taking the month (unless Sarah pulled a rabbit out of her hat).  Kudos to Jax, she deserves it.

2013-02-28 9:17 PM
in reply to: #4641328

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
jmholzman - 2013-02-28 9:08 PM
oriolepwr - 2013-02-28 6:56 PM

February Totals:

Upcoming races:

Oh that's how it's going to be, is it?  Well in all fairness, regarding the run, stepping it up from 9 miles isn't saying much...I mean you could double your mileage and still have less than half of say, 50 or so.

50 happens to have been my number but it was randomly chosen, I swear.  

I plan to step it up in March too.  I didn't have my bike for the first week and a half and I had the flu the last 5 days of the month.  I'm trying to step up my game in prep for the 4/14 tri, but in all seriousness I know you're a beast so I can only hope to give you some chase.  :bows:

Going to be a good month.

I am still recovering today so I didn't get to work out again, so as long as Jax ran for more than 15 minutes today she's taking the month (unless Sarah pulled a rabbit out of her hat).  Kudos to Jax, she deserves it.

See motivation is working!  :-)  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Closed Rss Feed  

of 30