BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2013-07-12 6:32 PM
in reply to: kcgolf

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Subject: RE: TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED
Hi Team. I hope everyone is well.

I got my 3rd run in this week with the bad ankle. 5 km, 8 km and 10 km today. I am happy about that even though I have already missed at least 3 long runs and a brick

I also got a mediocre 65 km ride in on my old road bike on Thursday because my bike is not ready yet at the LBS and it is me off

I am supposed to do a 100 miler but I doubt my ankle will be able to handle it on the road bike but I will give it a try.

Have a safe weekend everyone and for those of you racing - RFP

KC

2013-07-12 10:22 PM

User image

Regular
Wow! That is awesome! You may have the oppurtunity to observe what and when he drinks/eats .
2013-07-14 7:58 PM
in reply to: ettringite23

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Cant wait

Originally posted by ettringite23

Wow! That is awesome! You may have the oppurtunity to observe what and when he drinks/eats .
2013-07-15 4:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
G'day Team,

It's been cold and wet down under, but I think I'm finally starting to pull myself out of my funk. I've cleaned up my diet again and have gotten back on track with my training. I have my first half marathon on this Sunday and it is going to hurt like a biatch, but I am just looking at it as a training day and trying to go into it with no expectations.

I hope everyone is well and having good weather and great workouts.
2013-07-15 8:10 AM
in reply to: kruzmeister

User image

Chicago
Good Morning,

Just want to say thanks to everyone for the help and encouragement that I received from this group.

The Tri this past weekend went well. I finish in 2:55. Swim time was 37 minutes out of the water. I have to say it was one of my best experiences in this leg of the race. I had none of the issues that I had in other races. except for getting a little tired. I'm very happy with the swim. Now I feel like I could have done better but I'll leave it for the next race.

The Bike and run went great also. It was super hot and I suffered during the last 3 miles of the run which slowed me down and took me off my pace. I was monitoring my HR and it was up in the 180's so I knew it was a sign of me pushing to hard. I did not want to crash so I began to slow down and coast to the finish. My bike time was 1:15 and the run was 57 minutes.

Overall, I had a great time and the race was a lot of fun.
2013-07-15 8:11 AM
in reply to: kruzmeister

User image

Chicago
Keep it up Simone. Good luck next weekend.

Originally posted by kruzmeister

G'day Team,

It's been cold and wet down under, but I think I'm finally starting to pull myself out of my funk. I've cleaned up my diet again and have gotten back on track with my training. I have my first half marathon on this Sunday and it is going to hurt like a biatch, but I am just looking at it as a training day and trying to go into it with no expectations.

I hope everyone is well and having good weather and great workouts.

2013-07-15 8:13 AM

User image

Chicago
KC,

It's great that you get a chance to experience this. Your the man for the job...

Originally posted by kcgolf

Cant wait

2013-07-15 10:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
Originally posted by kcgolf

Ok Team – Crazy and exciting story for everyone.
First – ankle is holding its own – a bit better, not worse so I guess that is good ?
Two days ago I am sitting waiting to get a haircut in the salon I visit and I am surfing my smart phone and checking facebook. I notice a message from the race director of Ironman Lake Placid looking for a handful of volunteers with some Tri experience to be lead bikers for the Professionals during the marathon at IM LP. On a whim I email her and guess what – I AM GOING TO BE A LEAD BIKER FOR THE PROFESSIONALS DURING THE MARATHON AT IRONMAN LAKE PLACID ? . I was originally signed up with Josh Duval and Bob Grondin to volunteer in the Transition 1 tent but have now been officially switched to lead bike for the 3rd place Pro male during the marathon. I am stoked ?

That is awesome! What an experience.
2013-07-15 10:38 AM
in reply to: mkennedy0525

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
I did my second HIM on Saturday (Ironman Muncie 70.3). What an experience. I was at the race last year as part of a relay team. Last year's race was cut down to an oly due to the extreme heat. I knew that Muncie would be tough and hadn't settled in my heart that I would actually do it this year until about a month ago. The swim for me was FANTASTIC! I was a bit worried about going into my first full ironman in September after my half in May because my swim was so close to the cut off time. I took almost 10 minutes off my swim time and never felt like I was working hard. It was my "go forever" pace. The bike was great as well. I was pleasantly surprised to see I was averaging about 18mph at the halfway point. At mile 40 I stopped to help a man change his flat (he didn't know how or have any tools). This was not my "A" race and I wasn't worried about not making a cutoff time. I was "paying it forward". It could have been me walking with my bike all deflated that my race had ended too soon. Now the run was a different story. As I said, I really didn't plan on doing this race until the last minute. If I had, I would have done a lot more hill running. By the time I was on the run, it was 85+ degrees and little shade. My heart rate was high and my breathing was out of sync. I did a lot of walking and took ice at every aid station. It took all I had not to be sick along the way. But even after a very bad run and stopping to change a bike tire, my overall time was a 4 minute PR from May and I'm still super excited about how well my swim went.
2013-07-15 8:19 PM

User image

Regular
Wow, awesome job! Congrats!!

How was this course? I have been tenatively planning my first HIM next year and am thinking about Muncie. I would like to know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Todd
2013-07-15 9:32 PM

User image

Chicago
Great Job! Way to put yourself up to the challenge.

Originally posted by mkennedy0525

I did my second HIM on Saturday (Ironman Muncie 70.3). What an experience. I was at the race last year as part of a relay team. Last year's race was cut down to an oly due to the extreme heat. I knew that Muncie would be tough and hadn't settled in my heart that I would actually do it this year until about a month ago. The swim for me was FANTASTIC! I was a bit worried about going into my first full ironman in September after my half in May because my swim was so close to the cut off time. I took almost 10 minutes off my swim time and never felt like I was working hard. It was my "go forever" pace. The bike was great as well. I was pleasantly surprised to see I was averaging about 18mph at the halfway point. At mile 40 I stopped to help a man change his flat (he didn't know how or have any tools). This was not my "A" race and I wasn't worried about not making a cutoff time. I was "paying it forward". It could have been me walking with my bike all deflated that my race had ended too soon. Now the run was a different story. As I said, I really didn't plan on doing this race until the last minute. If I had, I would have done a lot more hill running. By the time I was on the run, it was 85+ degrees and little shade. My heart rate was high and my breathing was out of sync. I did a lot of walking and took ice at every aid station. It took all I had not to be sick along the way. But even after a very bad run and stopping to change a bike tire, my overall time was a 4 minute PR from May and I'm still super excited about how well my swim went.

2013-07-16 4:34 AM
in reply to: gdelamora

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Congrats on your triathlon Gil, it sounds like you had a great race, well done on your swim too! I'm so happy for you that it was a positive experience, that will surely give you a lot more confidence going into your next race also.

Originally posted by gdelamora

Good Morning,

Just want to say thanks to everyone for the help and encouragement that I received from this group.

The Tri this past weekend went well. I finish in 2:55. Swim time was 37 minutes out of the water. I have to say it was one of my best experiences in this leg of the race. I had none of the issues that I had in other races. except for getting a little tired. I'm very happy with the swim. Now I feel like I could have done better but I'll leave it for the next race.

The Bike and run went great also. It was super hot and I suffered during the last 3 miles of the run which slowed me down and took me off my pace. I was monitoring my HR and it was up in the 180's so I knew it was a sign of me pushing to hard. I did not want to crash so I began to slow down and coast to the finish. My bike time was 1:15 and the run was 57 minutes.

2013-07-16 4:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Congrats on your HIM PR Michelle, way to stick it out on the run and so awesome of you to stop and help out a fellow triathlete in need, such a noble act, well done! Good luck with the rest of your IM training, sounds like you've gained a lot from this race.

2013-07-16 8:45 AM
in reply to: ettringite23

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
This race is usually very very hot. They were surprised to actually be wetsuit legal. It was after the pros were already in the water that they pulled together volunteers to be wetsuit strippers. That is just something they hadn't planned on. The water is usually very calm. The bike ride was great. There is a section of about 8-9 miles on the bike course that is very rough. I even saw a water bottle with the cage still attached on the road. This part is new from years past so I'm not sure what made them decide to go that way. The bike course has some rollers in it and is liked by most. The run course is hilly and hot. There is an aid station every mile and they are great. The volunteers are FANTASTIC. If you train for hills for your run, this race is a well done fun time. There is also a church just 2 miles from the start that opens their doors for only $15/person where you can spend the night before the race. They provide cots, breakfast A/C and WiFi. It is the best place to stay. The nearest hotel is at least a 30 minute drive and according to the local police, it's not a safe area. The only thing the church doesn't have is a shower. They did let us leave all our stuff there when we went to the race and come back when we were done and get cleaned up. I highly recommend it. It's almost like going to triathlon camp. If you get there early enough, you can end up with a classroom all to yourself. There were not many that stayed there this year so we were all spread out throughout.

Wow, awesome job! Congrats!!

How was this course? I have been tenatively planning my first HIM next year and am thinking about Muncie. I would like to know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Todd
2013-07-16 9:30 AM

User image

Wow, nice race!
2013-07-16 9:32 AM

User image

A PR even after being a good Samaritan, fantastic!

2013-07-16 9:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Congratulations Michelle on a great HIM! How wonderful that you stopped and helped that other athlete out and you still managed to pull a PR. All round awesome job!

2013-07-16 9:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Gil, it sounded like you had a great race also, CONGRATULATIONS! This is what racing is all about when you read the last line of what GIl write.

Good Morning,

2013-07-16 9:41 AM
in reply to: MikeMcK

User image

Hey everyone, hope your training is going well!

I kind of fell off the group for a while there. Some family stuff got my schedule out of wack and I've barely been on the computer. Excited to read about races, something to aspire to.

I have been able to keep up training and finally joined a pool on Saturday. I was able to do a mile yesterday morning, but not without breaks. I was worried that I would be done after 100 meters, so I'll consider that a victory for now. The zone 2 training is going well, the speed is coming down and I feel far stronger after 5k than earlier in the year. Biking is also going well, longest ride so far was two hours and 27 miles. Again, getting there. 53 days until race day.

Seriously, I'm so impressed with your times. I'm thinking I'll be over 4 hours for my race. I'm racing to finish at this point. KC, sorry to read about your ankle but glad to hear it's getting stronger.

Have you been watching the tour? Much more exciting than last year, even if it looks like 100% Sky's race again. I'm sure my fellow Illinoisans were sad to see Vande Velde have to drop out of his final tour. Maybe he can repeat Colorado.
2013-07-16 12:12 PM

User image

Expert
Nice work on the race Gil! So glad to hear that you had a good swim experience. A few more of those and you won't ever think twice about he swim again. How did the heels hold up?

Good Morning,

2013-07-16 12:28 PM

User image

Expert
Glad you had a good race in Muncie Michelle. Seems to be hit or miss there with the heat so I am sure it was a relief to have decent weather (except for the run . That whole church accomodations sounds interesting. So there are no hotels close tot he race area?

I am always surprised at people who can't change a tire haha. I can understand the sprint o r olympic distance but when you are at 70.3 distance or higher you bike volume is pretty high and that should be something you should need to be able to do. Kudos for helping the guy out. Hopefully he will learn for next time!

Hopefully you learned some things and are feeling more confident after this race for your IM.

2013-07-16 12:31 PM

User image

Expert
Good to hear from you Mike - no worries about falling off -it happens as everyone here is super busy. Nice work on the mile! Keep it up.

Originally posted by MikeMcK

I kind of fell off the group for a while there. Some family stuff got my schedule out of wack and I've barely been on the computer. Excited to read about races, something to aspire to.

I have been able to keep up training and finally joined a pool on Saturday. I was able to do a mile yesterday morning, but not without breaks. I was worried that I would be done after 100 meters, so I'll consider that a victory for now. The zone 2 training is going well, the speed is coming down and I feel far stronger after 5k than earlier in the year. Biking is also going well, longest ride so far was two hours and 27 miles. Again, getting there. 53 days until race day.

Seriously, I'm so impressed with your times. I'm thinking I'll be over 4 hours for my race. I'm racing to finish at this point. KC, sorry to read about your ankle but glad to hear it's getting stronger.

Have you been watching the tour? Much more exciting than last year, even if it looks like 100% Sky's race again. I'm sure my fellow Illinoisans were sad to see Vande Velde have to drop out of his final tour. Maybe he can repeat Colorado.
2013-07-16 12:40 PM
in reply to: tmoran80

User image

Expert
Getting ready for Racine 70.3 this weekend. Hoping to go sub 6:00 and it looks like the weather might cooperate this year. The last two years it has been over 95 degrees- UGH!!

I officially joined the world of "triathlon geek" this past weekend when I shaved my legs for the first time. The wife wasn't too happy but it makes my IM tattoo look so much cooler haha.

My marathon training has been coming along nicely while also keeping up with my 70.3 training. I got a 12 miler in on Sunday and will get my 13 in during the race this weekend. Looking forward to next week when I can focus more on the running and just use biking and swimming as cross training.

Hope everyone is doing good and staying cool this week. Sorry I have not been around much this past week but have just been swamped with work.
2013-07-17 2:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Welcome back Mike and like Tim said, we all get busy and get behind at times. Good to see you've kept your training up, nice job!

Originally posted by MikeMcK

2013-07-17 2:32 AM
in reply to: tmoran80

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Hey Tim, good luck for Racine 70.3 this weekend. I have no doubt you'll go sub 6:00, I hope the weather is kind for you! LOL at the leg shave, I would have thought you'd done that before now. I always thought the number one reason for the shave was to make cleaning road rash easier, I guess you don't fall off much! Glad to hear the marathon training is coming along also. If you like you can send some of that heat wave my way!

Originally posted by tmoran80

Getting ready for Racine 70.3 this weekend. Hoping to go sub 6:00 and it looks like the weather might cooperate this year. The last two years it has been over 95 degrees- UGH!!

I officially joined the world of "triathlon geek" this past weekend when I shaved my legs for the first time. The wife wasn't too happy but it makes my IM tattoo look so much cooler haha.

My marathon training has been coming along nicely while also keeping up with my 70.3 training. I got a 12 miler in on Sunday and will get my 13 in during the race this weekend. Looking forward to next week when I can focus more on the running and just use biking and swimming as cross training.

Hope everyone is doing good and staying cool this week. Sorry I have not been around much this past week but have just been swamped with work.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 28