BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2014-01-29 8:37 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Subject: Overdue Update!
Hi All!

Sorry for being MIA but life has been insane. We are executive director-less at work, I’m in the throes of wedding planning (March 22nd!), and life is just insane. Luckily (and I need to keep reminding myself of this) exercise helps keep me sane. Now I just need to get better about making sure I make it a priority!

I went to my triathlon training programs kick off meeting last Sunday. I’m participating in http://triitforlife.com/and the kick-off was a lot of fun. Afterwards we had a swim assessment. I was surprised that I was placed in intermediate group and no the advanced swim group, but that’s just another goal to work towards I guess!

This weekend I’m going to NYC so I’ll miss my long run. It’ll be weird not running 8-10 on Saturday but I think we’ll be walking a bunch; hopefully will make up for it!

Hope everyone is doing well and surviving the snow!

2014-01-29 11:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed
Originally posted by Lovey

2 hour school delay means all early gym classes cancelled this morning. I didn't get my spin class or weight training in. I do still have my development masters swim class tonight.
I will have to get there a little late as hubby and I have to juggle younger son's basketball practice, my swim class, his raquetball game and older son's PSAT meeting, all tonight.

My Wed night meeting went a lot longer than expected. Master swim is from 7:30 to 9pm. I got to the gym around 8:45pm but didn't get in the pool until 9. I was tempted to just go home after the meeting but since I was already dressed for the pool, I went. Asked the coach to leave the workout on the board and I will finish what I can on my own since the pool didn't close until 10. I deviated a little. This is what I got done:

400 yards...rest for 30 secs
4 x 100 yards...rest for 10 secs between 100s
4 x 50 yards...rest for 10 secs between 50s
4 x 25 yards.... rest 5 secs between 25s
total: 1100 yards

The 400 yard set was at 3:30 per 100 yards. I was swimming with my swim buddy and my pace was faster than my usual 4:15 per 100 yards. She was at the end of her workout and I was glad for a little company. I was stopped after 45 minutes so I could hop in the hot tub for 10 minutes. That pool is so cold!
My overall average was 4:05 per 100 yards. I wasn't going for speed but its nice to see a slightly better pace.

This workout was between week 2 (900 yards) and week 3 (1200 yards) of the Swim Zero to One Mile program I am trying to follow on days I swim on my own. I couldn't remember the exact workout.

It was 3 degrees this morning but I really need a run OUTSIDE tonight! So tired of running inside.

Happy Thursday!

Edited by Lovey 2014-01-30 8:49 AM
2014-01-30 1:34 PM

User image

Today I successfully swam 400 yards non-stop! I had been dreading such an attempt, but I'm glad I got it done. After the first 100 yards I started to panic as I got short of breath, but then I switched to the breast stroke for 50 yards and was able to recover a little. My average time was 2:20/100 yards. I had never timed myself before, and now I realize now that I should learn to slow down and conserve energy for longer swims. Right now I only have one speed, and after 400 yards I was pretty much done for the day.

Next week I fly to Houston for a class, and my hotel will have a pool. I'm looking forward to just swimming laps every day.

Edited by cassowary 2014-01-30 1:35 PM
2014-01-30 4:12 PM
in reply to: Just_Kelly

User image

Subject: FOUR INCHES OF ICE
Ok so it hardly EVER snows here in the coastal area of NC....Tuesday night pounded down with sleet for six hours then snowed four inches....so here we are Thursday and its been in the teens every day and night for all this week so the ice has NOT melted. The base and entire town has shut down so that means no pool and no bike or running. The roads are compact ice and way to dangerous to try and drive anywhere. We do not have snow removal equipment down here since it never snows. I do have a ton of workout DVDs and I guess I could throw the bike on the trainer and do some Sufferfest...not having the sun out all week is gray and depressing and makes me lazy. Earlier this afternoon me and my husband took our dogs on a quick little one mile snow/ice walk. It is way to dangerous to run. I can hear the ice cracking under the snow as we slipped our way around the neighborhood. It felt good to get outside. I actually love the snow and the way it makes the air feel *clean* hope you are all having a great week!
2014-01-31 7:33 AM
in reply to: cassowary

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by cassowary

Today I successfully swam 400 yards non-stop! I had been dreading such an attempt, but I'm glad I got it done. After the first 100 yards I started to panic as I got short of breath, but then I switched to the breast stroke for 50 yards and was able to recover a little. My average time was 2:20/100 yards. I had never timed myself before, and now I realize now that I should learn to slow down and conserve energy for longer swims. Right now I only have one speed, and after 400 yards I was pretty much done for the day.

Next week I fly to Houston for a class, and my hotel will have a pool. I'm looking forward to just swimming laps every day.

Congrats and that is not a bad time at all especially considering the amount of time you have been swimming. Your breath will improve and the time will come down, but I agree with you that being out of breath in the water is not a comfortable feeling.
2014-01-31 8:47 AM

User image

Houston, Texas
I got in a short workout at home last night, just some body weight exercises. Where I'm living now the other rooms of the house are rented out, so I really only have the bedroom as personal space. I've been trying to figure out how/where I could set up a bike trainer, but there is no TV in the living room, and absolutely no space in the bedroom! I keep reading about those bike videos, and I want to try one out.

I've been working so late all week I haven't made it to the park to run, but I plan on spending some good time outside this weekend. Hopefully I'll be meeting Oni, my running partner from last weekend, on Sunday to get me up and moving in the morning.

2014-01-31 10:17 AM
in reply to: tweets_4611

User image

Extreme Veteran
First group Challenge.

Do at least a 30 minute workout on Saturday and Sunday (yes I know it is the Super Bowl, but there is plenty of time before it to get in a 30 minute workout).

I will be taking a nice long ride on Saturday and a run on Sunday of at least 30 minutes.
2014-01-31 2:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

First group Challenge.

Do at least a 30 minute workout on Saturday and Sunday (yes I know it is the Super Bowl, but there is plenty of time before it to get in a 30 minute workout).

I will be taking a nice long ride on Saturday and a run on Sunday of at least 30 minutes.

Today, I had private swim lessons. It went very well. I actually moved the kick board without having fins on!
The gym offers a 1, 3 or 6 lesson packages. I was planning on doing the 6 lesson package but she feels like 3 would be enough.
She felt my kicking wasn't bad nor my swim just some of my over general mechanics was off but not horrible.
I did some of the same drills I do in my masters swim but having one on one instruction does help. She can point out what I am doing wrong.

As for the challenge, I can do that. I have beginners master swim on Sat for an hour. Sunday, the weather should be warm enough (30 degrees) for an outside run, finally!
2014-01-31 3:11 PM

User image

Houston, Texas
Sounds good to me! I'm aiming to get outside this weekend since the weather is supposed to be nicer, and I've been pretty stationary all week.

Lovey, sounds like the lessons are going to be a great help for you!

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

First group Challenge.

Edited by tweets_4611 2014-01-31 3:45 PM
2014-02-01 9:47 AM
in reply to: tweets_4611

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Nice swim class this morning. Lots of lesson breaks and wall drills.
Did a 100 timed trial. My time was 3:13. I was shocked. I was the slowest but still impressed.
2014-02-01 4:33 PM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

I'm pretty happy with the way things are going here for me, getting back into the training and so far (touch wood!) no calf flare-ups. Had an hour in the gym yesterday; 40 minutes on the exercise bike and 20 mins core strength afterwards, and then a nice and steady 6km run this morning so I've done my weekend challenge! I'm hoping to do a swim time trial at the pool in the monring to reassess the threshold speed I should be training at (using the swim smooth system, link http://www.swimsmooth.com/training.html). Then it's a visit to the physio Tuesday mrning to see what I can do from here to keep me going . I hope everyone else's weekends are going well!

2014-02-01 6:34 PM

User image

The roads are a slush mess from the melting snow. I went to the gym and did an hour on the spin bike. Felt good to get out of the house! I plan on running in the morning. Great challenge!
2014-02-02 4:44 AM

User image

I'm out of action this week with a sprained ankle due to a less than graceful parting from a ladder.
2014-02-02 8:22 AM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Originally posted by AussieTurtle

I'm out of action this week with a sprained ankle due to a less than graceful parting from a ladder.

Sorry to hear that. Take it easy
2014-02-02 8:22 AM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Originally posted by Lovey

Nice swim class this morning. Lots of lesson breaks and wall drills.
Did a 100 timed trial. My time was 3:13. I was shocked. I was the slowest but still impressed.

got a 4 mile run in this morning.
2014-02-02 12:19 PM
in reply to: Pixiedustlady

User image

I went out for a nice fast paced walk for 3 miles did it in 53 minutes had to keep it slow to stay in my HR zone. I am still building my aerobic base and I cant stand being in zone two on my heart rate monitor BUT I feel for once I am not getting as tired or worn out by paying attention to it!!! I seriously never really understood heart rate training but have done a lot of reading about it and it makes a LOT more sense! So Todd that's one hour for Sat and 53 min for Sunday! Challenge complete!! Now off to the kitchen to get my food ready for the big game!! WOOHOO Go Broncos!!!!

2014-02-02 4:35 PM

User image

New user

Winter Springs, Florida
Congrats on your 400 yard
non-stop swim !!!
2014-02-02 4:39 PM

User image

New user

Winter Springs, Florida
30 minute workout challenge.....Done!!! Run/walk 2 miles today.
2014-02-02 4:41 PM

User image

New user

Winter Springs, Florida
Feel better soon !!!
2014-02-02 4:46 PM

User image

New user

Winter Springs, Florida
Nice workouts !!! Have fun in the kitchen, and once again thanks for the list of food options. I used a few options this week . Thank you !!!!
2014-02-03 6:11 AM
in reply to: dwilling

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Speaking of kitchens, my new toy, a brand-new ice cream maker arrived today . The bowl is in the freezer freezing ready for tomorrow's first attempt at homemade ice cream and I'm getting fired up trawling the internet for foolproof ice cream recipes. Anyone got any simple, tried and true recipes good for a newbie?

2014-02-03 8:43 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Taringa

I'm pretty happy with the way things are going here for me, getting back into the training and so far (touch wood!) no calf flare-ups. Had an hour in the gym yesterday; 40 minutes on the exercise bike and 20 mins core strength afterwards, and then a nice and steady 6km run this morning so I've done my weekend challenge! I'm hoping to do a swim time trial at the pool in the monring to reassess the threshold speed I should be training at (using the swim smooth system, link http://www.swimsmooth.com/training.html). Then it's a visit to the physio Tuesday mrning to see what I can do from here to keep me going . I hope everyone else's weekends are going well!

Great news and way to take on the challenge and crush it.
2014-02-03 8:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by AussieTurtle

I don't know of any Triathlon Training Exercises that include a ladder Get Better Quickly
2014-02-03 8:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Pixiedustlady

I went out for a nice fast paced walk for 3 miles did it in 53 minutes had to keep it slow to stay in my HR zone. I am still building my aerobic base and I cant stand being in zone two on my heart rate monitor BUT I feel for once I am not getting as tired or worn out by paying attention to it!!! I seriously never really understood heart rate training but have done a lot of reading about it and it makes a LOT more sense! So Todd that's one hour for Sat and 53 min for Sunday! Challenge complete!! Now off to the kitchen to get my food ready for the big game!! WOOHOO Go Broncos!!!!

Great job on the challenge and I feel you on the heart rate training. I just wish that my running heart rate was like by cycling, which I don't really even have to look at. We can continue to fight the fight together.
2014-02-03 8:48 AM
in reply to: dwilling

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by dwilling

30 minute workout challenge.....Done!!! Run/walk 2 miles today.

Great job
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 33

RELATED POSTS

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24945 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 19204 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.
date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.