BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2015-02-12 10:41 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Des Plaines, Illinois
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Open
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Originally posted by Lizfuze

Originally posted by 2NewKnees

Away from here for a couple of days. Swim session didn't work out on Monday (got a 3 mile walk in on a treadmill instead) and we drove back home from daughter and son in law's yesterday; so no exercise yesterday.....

Had a pretty good practice in the pool this morning. In the water for a little over an hour; managed 1900 yards; was slow on meeting the rest intervals in the segments; but felt ok about the swim. Was tired; shoulders are a bit sore as well.

Will be headed in an hour or so to do some light lifting. Will have to see how that goes.......

Welcome to the several new members that have joined!!! Congrats to those with the new bikes and other equipment like the Garmin. Super group with a lot of varied backgrounds! Amazing that 2 of you are working at the same hospital-small world.

Best to all!!

I agree that it is amazing two of us are working at the hospital. I am impressed with the hour long swimming. That is great. I was exhausted on Wednesday when I did two 250 yes with a 30 sec break. I hope I am understanding the sprints right. The swim is 1/4 mile or about 440 yards???
I have not been doing in weight lifting I don't know if I can find time to fit another training in.
Any suggestions

Yes you are correct about the distance or at least within 50 yards or so. If you can't find time for strength I would NOT give up an of the three disciplines for it. Your getting stronger at this point simple by doing what you're doing

Hmmm...my TRI is 1/2 mile swim, 13.1 mile bike and 3.1 mile run. Is that also considered a sprint? Are there a lot of variations on the distances? Just curious about the spectrum (should I find myself looking at my next TRI?) I guess I assumed there was a standard distance?

2015-02-12 10:51 PM

User image

Des Plaines, Illinois
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED
I'm looking over my 12 week training plan (which begins in about a month) and I like it a lot. I'm wondering though, I have to (somewhat dramatically) mix up the order of things to accommodate my work schedule and when I can access the pool. As long as I keep the "brick" days bricks...does it matter much how I mix up the week and the workouts as long as I get them all in? Ex: Tues - Swim A (A = drills, etc) 45 min, Run 20-30 min (not a brick). I need to move the run to Mon (an OFF day), move the OFF day to Sunday, etc... Does that defeat the purpose of the training plan altogether? Should I look for one that meets my needs better? (Ex: my pool is at work, so I can only swim M-F.) Am I overthinking this (as usual?) Any feedback is appreciated.
2015-02-12 11:30 PM
in reply to: #5092734

User image

Hi All, it sounds like everyone is trucking right along with training. I started my formal training plan this week, and it has felt good so far. I'm struggling to fit the work-outs in, as work has been crazy...I have worked 2 24 hour shifts , which just leaves so little time. This will be so much easier when the weather is more conducive to outdoor exercise! Pep talk please!
2015-02-13 8:39 AM
in reply to: Lizfuze

User image

Originally posted by Smiley9188

Originally posted by Suzie471

Originally posted by nekomidori

Hello Everyone,
Our group is getting bigger and stronger. I love it.

I got in the pool today and was practicing what I learned on Monday. I am beginnner when it comes to breathing out in the pool. I was putting it all together, the breath, the fluttering of my legs, and tucking my head(a big issue for me), and getting my arms in sinc. I still need to get more info on how to move to get my face up and out enough to get only air and not water. I was blowing out my nose and spitting out water. I was proud I kept going. I did 525 yd in the pool. I was so pleased when I finally realized this. It was kickboard, side stroke, breast stroke, backstroke and of course my new one freestyle. I was so excited because I am actually doing it. I am finding the little things to be excited about.
I sqeezed in some time on the treadmill before I had to get back to work. I got 20 minutes in. It is getting easier to do more jogging, my walking pace is also faster. I thought it was great since I had already spent 30 minutes in the pool.
Yesterday,
I had to squeeze in my bike because of soccer for my boys. I was thinking to do it after (at about 830 pm) So glad I didn't do that. I drank a protein smoothie got my gear on and rode on my trainer. i warmed up while getting the Netflix on. Then I got down to work and happy to realize that I am finding some power in my legs! I did a steady strong pace for 20 minutes. My husband needs to get my Garmin all hooked up so that I can have a more accurate reading.

My husband wants to get me into clips for my pedals and shoes. Anyone else here ride with them? He went and got a full analysis of how his bike is set up and how he moves. He wants to get me one too. I guess it can help see if there are things that need to be adjusted to a person's special circumstances. This is interesting to me.

I feel like a child filled with wonder with the acomplishments I have recently tackled in my life. This is Tri is looking more doable each day!!

Nicole
Week 3 Michael Pates 22 Week Training Program
Move a little more today than yesterday.
Triathon- Is about deciding we are more than the sum of our fears

Those are amazing accomplishments. Your body is getting stronger! That's SO awesome. I can't wait to feel that! Keep inspiring me, Nicole! You're awesome!

Wow that is great. You did a lot. I just started my official training on Sunday. Twice this week I have swam and walked on the treadmill, and I have gotten two days in with biking inside. I am exhausted at night. I fall asleep in the chair around 8pm. I hope this does not last long.
Question My biking is indoors on an upright bike. What should I set the resistance too? How fast should I aim to pedal at? My rear got sore just riding for 30 min.
I have lots more questions but am learning a lot from other people posts

I know what you mean about the exhaustion. I am falling asleep on the couch by 930 if I last that long. I am getting 7 hours of sleep each night too.
From what I have learned. I do a warm up on the bike and then get into a steady rythem (cadence). I set the trainer at 1 full turn (if this is what you mean by resistence) My bike is in 7th gear. How ever long you are on the trainer that is double what it would be if you are riding outside.
I hope that helps.

You are doing great as well. Keep up your workouts. You will feel the difference. I feel like the little engine that could. I think I can... I think I can...
2015-02-13 8:47 AM
in reply to: jennifersmith847

User image

Originally posted by jennifersmith847

I'm looking over my 12 week training plan (which begins in about a month) and I like it a lot. I'm wondering though, I have to (somewhat dramatically) mix up the order of things to accommodate my work schedule and when I can access the pool. As long as I keep the "brick" days bricks...does it matter much how I mix up the week and the workouts as long as I get them all in? Ex: Tues - Swim A (A = drills, etc) 45 min, Run 20-30 min (not a brick). I need to move the run to Mon (an OFF day), move the OFF day to Sunday, etc... Does that defeat the purpose of the training plan altogether? Should I look for one that meets my needs better? (Ex: my pool is at work, so I can only swim M-F.) Am I overthinking this (as usual?) Any feedback is appreciated.

Hi Jenn,
I think you can adjust how you need. I think it is good to have the off day after a run.
My plan has me
Mon swim and run
Tue Bike
Wed swim and run
Thurs off
Fri is swim and Bike
Sat is run
Sun is bike

I don't know if that will help at all. If you did that you could still get your swim in during the week. I don't think you have to do these as brick workouts but it is interesting to see how your body feels when you do.

2015-02-13 9:49 AM

User image

Originally posted by 2NewKnees

Away from here for a couple of days. Swim session didn't work out on Monday (got a 3 mile walk in on a treadmill instead) and we drove back home from daughter and son in law's yesterday; so no exercise yesterday.....

Had a pretty good practice in the pool this morning. In the water for a little over an hour; managed 1900 yards; was slow on meeting the rest intervals in the segments; but felt ok about the swim. Was tired; shoulders are a bit sore as well.

Will be headed in an hour or so to do some light lifting. Will have to see how that goes.......

Welcome to the several new members that have joined!!! Congrats to those with the new bikes and other equipment like the Garmin. Super group with a lot of varied backgrounds! Amazing that 2 of you are working at the same hospital-small world.

Best to all!!

I agree that it is amazing two of us are working at the hospital. I am impressed with the hour long swimming. That is great. I was exhausted on Wednesday when I did two 250 yes with a 30 sec break. I hope I am understanding the sprints right. The swim is 1/4 mile or about 440 yards???
I have not been doing in weight lifting I don't know if I can find time to fit another training in.
Any suggestions

Yes you are correct about the distance or at least within 50 yards or so. If you can't find time for strength I would NOT give up an of the three disciplines for it. Your getting stronger at this point simple by doing what you're doing

Hmmm...my TRI is 1/2 mile swim, 13.1 mile bike and 3.1 mile run. Is that also considered a sprint? Are there a lot of variations on the distances? Just curious about the spectrum (should I find myself looking at my next TRI?) I guess I assumed there was a standard distance?

I agree work with what you can. As Tony Horton in P90x says "Do your best and forget the rest". I would say fit in what you can and don't stress over what you can't.
I think sprint triathlons are different. My sprint is 400yd in the pool, 16mile bike, and a 5k(3.1run).
When is your event?

2015-02-13 10:10 AM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Happy Friday Everyone - May this Valentines/Presidents Weekend be filled with fun training and love - friendship - support.

Yes - sprints come in a variety of distances. I have seen swims range from 250 meters to a little over a 1/2 mile. I have seen bikes from 10-16 miles and runs from 2.5 to 4.5 miles. Sometime the distance vary just because of the available courses. Olympics can vary also but are closer to a standard.

2015-02-13 1:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Jen,

No it does not mess it up per say, but you do have to be careful about what you move to where (recovery wise). Plans are geared to allow for recovery and minimize over use injuries. You will almost always have to tweak plans to make them work with your schedule just try to make less aggressive switches so to speak. I will repeat what I said once before, brick workouts are not that big of a deal if you are truly prepared on race day.
2015-02-13 2:09 PM

User image

Thought I'd pass a tip along to those of us still new at swimming (something I've learned (surprisingly to me) during my year of swimming)......

Hydration while swimming!! Sounds crazy since you are in a pool full of water; but keeping a bottle of water available during your swim sessions is extremely helpful. Now, I suspect everyone is already aware of this, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

The Sprint I'm registered for is 400m swim/20K bike/5K run (walk for me).....swim for this one is in a pool. I found a You Tube video of the 2010 event ; must say, it was very helpful to see the staging area and get a visual of how big that pool is!!!
2015-02-13 5:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Overcame 2 days of low motivation and got a run in today !! Yeah
Now if I can get at least 1 run and 1 ride this weekend

Edited by peto_primo 2015-02-13 5:08 PM
2015-02-14 8:37 AM
in reply to: #5078752

User image

FortWayne, Indiana
Hello everyone!! Hope you all are having a Great Valentine Day weekend!!

I am happy to report that my week went really well with training I have decided to join a running group that is training for a 5k which just happens to be the same day as my first Tri in April. I have been having a hard time getting motivated to run outside with this winter weather that we keep having so I was hoping that the group will help get me ready and plus I want to meet new people. We meet on Thursdays and Saturdays and so far everyone has been awesome! I also made it to the pool on Friday and got a good swim in. Total I swam a mile. Although it was slow I feel pretty good about it since the majority of it was the freestyle. Now if I could just find a swimming group too My biking has been going well and I'm ready for the weather to turn so I can get outside and ride.

Love reading what all of you have been doing! It really helps me to stay motivated! I'm pretty excited that I now have a friend on FitBit and she works at the same hospital as I do..isn't that amazing!! Liz we have to meet up!! Also I now have friends on MyFitnessPal too!! Liz, Colleen & Nicole you guys are Awesome!! Never had friends before and its actually been a lot funner logging all my food! Thanks for keeping me accountable and giving me motivation!! I'm Lovin' it!!

Have a great weekend everyone!! And keep up the Awesome work, you guys are Amazing!!

2015-02-14 9:18 AM
in reply to: peto_primo

User image

Southern Norway, Vest-Agder

Originally posted by peto_primo Overcame 2 days of low motivation and got a run in today !! Yeah Now if I can get at least 1 run and 1 ride this weekend

Good work, that always feels good! I had my first swim-session outside of the masters-group in the public pool yesterday. Whoa, that was a different experience! Only two lanes were open because the local swim-club was having practice in the others. They were super crowded with people ranging from 20 to 60 years old. Some barely moving forward, others keeping a high pace. I did not get in quite the tempo I had planed, but at least I got to practice the sighting technique alot. It was a lot heavier than I imagined. It demaned quite som power and I lost a bit of speed every time I liften my head to look.

2015-02-14 9:31 AM
in reply to: Suzie471

User image

Extreme Veteran

I am happy to report that my week went really well with training I have decided to join a running group that is training for a 5k which just happens to be the same day as my first Tri in April. I have been having a hard time getting motivated to run outside with this winter weather that we keep having so I was hoping that the group will help get me ready and plus I want to meet new people. We meet on Thursdays and Saturdays and so far everyone has been awesome! I also made it to the pool on Friday and got a good swim in. Total I swam a mile. Although it was slow I feel pretty good about it since the majority of it was the freestyle. Now if I could just find a swimming group too My biking has been going well and I'm ready for the weather to turn so I can get outside and ride.

Love reading what all of you have been doing! It really helps me to stay motivated! I'm pretty excited that I now have a friend on FitBit and she works at the same hospital as I do..isn't that amazing!! Liz we have to meet up!! Also I now have friends on MyFitnessPal too!! Liz, Colleen & Nicole you guys are Awesome!! Never had friends before and its actually been a lot funner logging all my food! Thanks for keeping me accountable and giving me motivation!! I'm Lovin' it!!

Have a great weekend everyone!! And keep up the Awesome work, you guys are Amazing!!

Great job Suzie.

I think your idea of the running group is a good one. I myself have never put the work into my run so this year I'm filling a Half Marathon plan and biking on the two cross fit days it has. I will work in swim wherever. Also you talked about Fitbit which do you have and did you see my post about the charge Hr?
2015-02-14 9:36 AM
in reply to: Gnoory

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Gnoory

Originally posted by peto_primo Overcame 2 days of low motivation and got a run in today !! Yeah Now if I can get at least 1 run and 1 ride this weekend

Good work, that always feels good! I had my first swim-session outside of the masters-group in the public pool yesterday. Whoa, that was a different experience! Only two lanes were open because the local swim-club was having practice in the others. They were super crowded with people ranging from 20 to 60 years old. Some barely moving forward, others keeping a high pace. I did not get in quite the tempo I had planed, but at least I got to practice the sighting technique alot. It was a lot heavier than I imagined. It demaned quite som power and I lost a bit of speed every time I liften my head to look.

Espen, that probably was great practice because there will be similar things on race day. Never fails that when you get in a good rhythm someone runs into you or vice versa and you got to work back into the grove. You also will not truly know what kind of sighter you are until you hit the open water. I thought I'd be terrible but I had some knack from the start of looking once and being able to swim a pretty dang straight line to the buoy
2015-02-14 9:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well I had a great morning and was reminded of why I love Texas. Got in a 20 mile ride this morning, in sunshine, no wind, and a temp of 53. I don't think I could ask for much more than that. No need to be jealous or hate on the Texan

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2015-02-14 9:40 AM
2015-02-14 11:41 AM

User image

FortWayne, Indiana

Great job Suzie.

I think your idea of the running group is a good one. I myself have never put the work into my run so this year I'm filling a Half Marathon plan and biking on the two cross fit days it has. I will work in swim wherever. Also you talked about Fitbit which do you have and did you see my post about the charge Hr?

Thanks Todd!! My Fitbit is the older one, a Flex so it does not have a heart rate monitor. My Garmin that I use the Forerunner 920 has a heart rate monitor but it has the chest strap. I understand HOW to use the heart rate monitor but what do I really DO with the info? Does that make sense?

2015-02-14 11:49 AM

User image

Well I had a great morning and was reminded of why I love Texas. Got in a 20 mile ride this morning, in sunshine, no wind, and a temp of 53. I don't think I could ask for much more than that. No need to be jealous or hate on the Texan

Congrats on your geat ride!!! Agree about loving Texas! We were fortunate to live in the Hill Country there for a couple of years. Texas weather obviously much better than the midwest today. 17 degrees; 26 mph winds; with -2 wind chill. No outdoor biking or walking today.
2015-02-14 2:26 PM
in reply to: #5078752

User image

Well, I wouldn't say I had a great training week, but I did keep moving forward despite the obstacles of snow storms, 24 hour shifts x 2 at work, and a lot of juggling home stuff. I got in 2 swims, 2 rides on the bike on the trainer and 1 run as well as a lot of snow walking. I know from last year's training experience that I need to pick up my intensity, but this week I am just happy to have kept moving forward. Small victories. Today I got in my swim while one of my kids had a swim lesson. That was good multitasking.

On another topic, Todd, please let me know if you learn anything about the Fitbit Charge. I have been hankering after one and will have some REI dividend dollars to spend in the spring...

Catherine
2015-02-14 4:11 PM

I love that. "I may not be fast but I'm lapping everyone on the couch "
That is perfect
2015-02-14 4:22 PM

What training is everyone following? I am using one I found on this site, the 22 week program. I am finding it to be real easy so far. I had been actively running/walking for awhile. The hardest is finding the time to work out 5-6 days a week.

Great tip about drinking water while in the pool. I did not think of that but I am very thirsty when I get out

I too am doing a 5K in March just for fun looking to do something in April and May before my sprint in June
2015-02-14 4:39 PM
in reply to: allan_c

I have had a fitbit one for 3 years I just got the fitbit HR. I love it. I have swam laps with it and I know it does not record my steps while swimming I set the timer to record as active minutes. I love the HR part of it I follow it while biking and walking but have a difficult time seeing it, just bad eyes.

I use the garmin 220 when I am outside but not when training inside.

If that helps. Anymore tips on them would be great

2015-02-14 5:21 PM

User image

I could have sworn that I read way back that someone has a Fitbit Charge HR. If I am right can you tell me what you thought, HR accuracy, distance accuracy, does it actually map your run, what do you think of it. I really like my Garmin 910 but am tired of the heart rate strap and now work more by Hr than speed / pace, plus bike computers are cheap for me to get that feedback.

Todd, DC rainmaker's review is pretty complete. The Charge HR will not map your run, though the Surge, which is the watch one, will.

I know Ray wasn't thrilled with the accuracy of the optical HR during exercise, but since I don't work out with HR to the detailed degree that someone as advanced as Ray does, I'm probably going to pick one up, once places have them back in stock. One thing you will find about the Charge HR right now, is that many places are out of stock and experiencing about a 2 week delay. I really want to see them in person, because I wear my RoadID badges on my Garmin now, and would like to know if the Charge HR will let me do that or if I will be back to wearing two things on my arm.

I've been wearing a Garmin Vivofit and I really like it, but what would pull me to the FitBit Charge HR are the following: automatically tracks sleep, the optical HR -- while I don't yet train to a specific HR, I am fascinated with how it reads throughout the day, and the number of friends that have FitBits. I also like the smartphone interface with it.

One big caveat for triathletes with it -- FitBit says not to wear them in the water. Ray's review said he had showered etc. with it and it was fine, but that they should be removed for swimming. Which is not a huge deal, but it will be annoying for me to remember.

Happy Shopping!

Edited by libbyfhenderson 2015-02-14 5:22 PM
2015-02-14 6:18 PM
in reply to: libbyfhenderson

I have had my fibit HR for about two weeks and have worn it lap swimming into the shower then on the treadmill. It is still working great. What I read is it is waterproof to a certain depth and they don't recommend you were it swimming because of the banging in the water. I am a pretty calm swimmer so my arms go in without any slapping. I don't know if that helps. I bought the full warranty too. In case in water it does stop working
2015-02-14 6:34 PM
in reply to: Lizfuze

User image

I have had my fibit HR for about two weeks and have worn it lap swimming into the shower then on the treadmill. It is still working great. What I read is it is waterproof to a certain depth and they don't recommend you were it swimming because of the banging in the water. I am a pretty calm swimmer so my arms go in without any slapping. I don't know if that helps. I bought the full warranty too. In case in water it does stop working

That's great to know, because I am certain I will forget to take it off!!

Amazon had some that would ship in 3-5 days. I just haven't pulled the trigger on the order yet! :D
2015-02-14 6:56 PM

New user

Originally posted by Gabby'smom

Originally posted by lauraworz

So being a girl, I'm already trying to figure out what to wear for race day. I'm doing a sprint tri at the end of June but the swim portion is shortened a little bit AND its in a pool! I'm not sure if I should wear a swim suit because I don't really feel like wearing that during the run (or bike for that matter.) I have a significant amount of baby weight so a sports bra and short shorts aren't an option either.

Any suggestions?

Have been thinking about that myself. I joined the local tri club - was only $20. They are offering tri-suits for another week for only $95 that are regularly 150'ish. (club is subsidizing part of cost) I hate not to take advantage of that savings but at the same time hate to spend the money in case I only do 1 or 2 tri's. I also had the thought wondering if the local club would prefer a slow newbie not wear a tri suit with their club name on it? Any thoughts on the expense being worth it from some of you with more experience?

Michelle

As long as you are going to wear it I would say that it is worth it. Tri suits (whether one piece or two) hold up really well as long as they are not in chlorine a lot and you wash them in cold water and air dry. So even if you only wear it twice this year it will still be there next year for that season. I don't wear it anymore but I still have my Tri Suit from my first tri over 4 years ago and it is like the day I bought it. The other part of the question, heck no they are not going to mind you wearing their "kit" on race day. It is advertisement so to speak and you are a part of the group. You wearing it may inspire another that was afraid to sign up go to the club and do just that. The other thing to the cost is baring super sales you will spend about the same amount on a tri top and bottom as they want for the suit.

Men might not want to read this post, lol
Laura,
I can not and will not run without a bra, period. I am too big and I'm pretty sure that the girls (and I) will not fit into a Tri suit. I will be looking for a wet suit this year and will probably fit into a mens XL, I can only hope there is room for "the girls". I went to the local bra shop and had the staff help me. Told them what I was doing and that I needed a bra that would not soak in the water and make the bra soggy. I have two shirts that I got from the sporting goods area, not sure what they are made out of, but they are light weight and don't weigh me down. I wear light weight compression shorts (not bike riding shorts) to swim in. When I get out of the water I change my shirt to the dry on with the number already attached, and finish getting dressed for the bike. The few seconds my mid area is exposed has never invoked a riot, so I keep doing it.
I hope this helps.
Patti
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Successful Triathlon Training, by Fred D - OPEN

Started by Fred D
Views: 1133 Posts: 2

2015-01-21 6:28 AM juanjaramillo

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.