BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2007-02-26 10:12 PM
in reply to: #640246

User image

Minneapolis
Subject: RE: Prof40's Group -- Technically full but you can still sneak in...
red bike
I let me husband read the page cause there is alot of funny in here.
i am behind on my promised posts and I regret to say exersise for the week. I took a rest day today which means 2 double sports days or workout for 12 day in a row; double sport day it is! Shoot. I was not feeling well this afternoon and this morming someone put "bed crack" on the bed which makes it so you can not get up no matter how much ypu may want to; I had to exscape from my bed just to get free.
anyway, I do not work tommorw night so I will really try to post about immerson swimming and some swimming work the YWCA is doing.

plan for the week:
monday = rest
tuesday= 3 mile run and 14 lap swim
Wednsday= 10 mile bike ride
thursday= 3 to 4 mile run
Friday= 14 laps and 10 mile bike
Sat = rest
Sun= 1 to 2 mile run
TOTALS:
run= 8 miles
bike= 20 miles
swim=1400 yards

2007-02-26 11:34 PM

User image

so if i type in the word red bike the word a ss will be replaced?

2007-02-27 3:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Hi troupe

Entertaining reading in everyone's posts. Got in the pool yesterday and did some TI drills. Many peculiar stares. I suspect that as I was swimming with just my legs (and being of a certain bulk and complexion) many of my fellow swimmers were of the mind that they too were being stalked by a manatee. Not a common sight in York!

I am going to try the muscle recruitment session on the way home today so my plans for the week are:

Monday = Cycle to work and home (56 miles), swim 1 hour at lunchtime; unconcerned about distance, merely trying to get form right.

Tuesday= Run 60 mins @ 8mins/mile pace lunchtime and cycle to work and home (56 miles).

Wednesday= Swim and cycle to work and home (56 miles).

Thursday= Cycle to work and home (56 miles) and lunchtime speed running session. Going out with the IronMan I work with so it will be 5 miles or so @ 7/7.30 min/mile.

Friday= Cycle to work and home (56 miles) and swim session.

Sat = Long run from home (aiming for 10 miles but will probably only get to do about 8 due to anticipated knackeredness!)

Sun= Rest

TOTALS:
run= 22 miles
bike= 280 miles
swim=2-2500 mts

I did my program last week and felt splendid at the end. First time I had completed in ages so this group is obviously doing me good in driving me forwards.

PS: Good advice regarding the heel pain. With regular (and appropriate) stretching, it has completely gone.

PPS: It's funny how the computer picks up on the word for a donkey/horse cross but lets you say other, much naughtier words! I was tempted to set out all the words that it lets you get away with but I didn't want to offend any sensibilities in the group. Suffice to say one could be very very rude indeed.
2007-02-27 8:22 AM

User image

Regular
Question. I am currently doing a running program. I have a whole series of races planned for the summer and fall including a marathon 3 weeks after my first sprint.
How do I implement the triathlon training? If I want to train for a sprint in the fall

Here's is what I was thinking:
Current run: 2 days EZ effort at 3 miles
1 day speed 5 miles (inlcudes warmup and cooldown)
1 long day on weekend

Plan: 2 EZ effort run days convert to swim, Bike
1 Long run day
1 speed run day
Add 1 more swim and 1 more bike per week

Prof, I love the idea of distance goal for the month. Let's add something tangible. when we reach the goals we all take a picture of ourselves in our goggles. Email them to me and i will create a montage for everyone.
2007-02-27 9:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Mike

As you know triathlons are made up of four elements, swim, bike, run and the transitions between T1 and 2 and between T2 and 3. if you have a scan through the results for most triathlons of a regular proportion you will note that around 2/3rds of the race in time alone is spent on the bike. It is this area that the most gains (or losses) can be made and it is this area that should take up a large proportion of the training for the simple reason that if you can spend 2/3rds of the race recovering from the swim and preparing for the run, you can put more effort into the swim and hit the run feeling as though you have a bottomless pit of energy to draw on.

I don’t know what your fitness level is but it seems from your posts that it must be pretty good and there is plenty of time before the sprint that you mention in October to get ready. Judging by the experience that you have had thus far in doing marathons and your planned race schedule I imagine that a 750 meter swim, 20k bike and 5k run would be easy peasy insofar as fitness levels go. When I started out on this road I suffered from the fact that I hadn’t got a clue how to swim properly (still don’t), last rode a bike when I was still in short trousers dating girls who had to be home before 7pm and hadn’t run. Ever.

The running was the easiest part of it as it was just like walking, but a bit faster.

I’m still learning to swim properly with the goal to finish the swim feeling as though I had just warmed up for the bike but the biggest effect on my race time and overall fitness level was the time I put in on the bike doing a part drive, part cycle commute at first, then commuting all the way (about 13 miles). The weight fell off, my running improved and I felt less like I was drowning every time I got in the pool.

If I was starting again I would take a long hard look at what I could do and then what I needed to do to post a result I would be happy with. If I was you I would enjoy the luxury of time that you have and take some swimming lessons and get out a coupe of times a week on the bike to get used to doing 20-30K before you start a training program. One key advantage is that training fro a sprint tri is quite light so it shouldn’t interfere with the marathon training.

Check out some of the free programs on this site and see how you feel with what is on offer.

Enjoy yourself.

Mark

“The opinions offered in this response are merely the opinions of a deranged and deluded wannabe athlete who hallucinates that his opinions are more than hot air. Any reliance on these suggestions or opinions are at the risk of the recipient who is advised to seek the advice of further random strangers before embarking on anything. Whatsoever.”
2007-02-27 10:07 AM

User image

Regular
Thank you Mark. I like easy peasy! No wonder you Brits get all the chicks.
If I am reading correctly, you suggest that one needs to spend time on the bike to make for a smooth tri. in turn this time will positively effect my total fitness. so i can keep my current plan of doing each twice a week. with time/distance increases in the swim and bike with a recovery every 3rd week (base building 101 i am finding out). then i can start serious tri training about 12 weeks out.

2007-02-27 4:17 PM

User image

Expert
Hi guys!

I'm totally in for the combined mileage challenge! And I love the goggles picture idea. I have images of you all, but don't know if they are accurate. I'll work on posting a pic of me, too. I wish we could all meet somewhere this summer and have a class reunion. You are welcome to crash at my humble abode! I have an acre of lawn that would hold quite a few tents, RV's or small personal planes.

Hey, do they make something like a swimming pedometer? Like if you are out in a lake somewhere, how do you know how far you have gone? Or if you forget how many laps or partial laps you did in the pool pushing the kids around in the floaty planes to practice your kick. I mean, if we are gonna get serious about mileage........plus I'm a tech weenie. Would sooo get one of those power meters for the bike if I could in any way justify it and still have electricity and phone hooked up

I recommend bitin' off more than you can chew to anyone!

---Alanis Morrisette

If you can shape it in your mind, you will find it in your life.

---fortune cookie
2007-02-27 9:12 PM

Veteran
Hello!! Is it too late to join the group??? Am 47, have done mainly sprints distances tri' s, 1/2 marathons and such over the last 3 yrs. Plan is to run a marathon this spring and olympic dist tri this summer. Am a slow steady swim/bike/runner. Enjoy the satisfaction setting goals provide, and the challenges. Looking for some mentoring, perhaps some guidance. Thanks!
2007-02-28 4:15 AM
in reply to: #704621

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
mike hall - 2007-02-27 9:22 AM

Question. I am currently doing a running program. I have a whole series of races planned for the summer and fall including a marathon 3 weeks after my first sprint.
How do I implement the triathlon training? If I want to train for a sprint in the fall

Here's is what I was thinking:
Current run: 2 days EZ effort at 3 miles
1 day speed 5 miles (inlcudes warmup and cooldown)
1 long day on weekend

Plan: 2 EZ effort run days convert to swim, Bike
1 Long run day
1 speed run day
Add 1 more swim and 1 more bike per week

You should check out some training programs and then truly assess your fitness and your available time. I'd add some swims and biking to your current plan and get busy, but that's just me. I'd be afraid I'd lose my running fitness if I dropped down to just 2 runs a week.

And in fact, I think I have. I usually average 100 miles/month running, but if you look at my logs, you'll see I've seriously dropped off. While I'm looking forward to spring, and have already decided March is going to be a running-focused month, I'm not looking forward to the effort to re-establish my stamina. With your marathon goal, be careful not to cut back too much on the run.

What's everyone else think?
2007-02-28 4:22 AM
in reply to: #705697

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
HelenR - 2007-02-27 10:12 PM

Hello!! Is it too late to join the group??? Am 47, have done mainly sprints distances tri' s, 1/2 marathons and such over the last 3 yrs. Plan is to run a marathon this spring and olympic dist tri this summer. Am a slow steady swim/bike/runner. Enjoy the satisfaction setting goals provide, and the challenges. Looking for some mentoring, perhaps some guidance. Thanks!

Welcome to the team!

I read your logs -- hopefully, you can keep me committed to running, and you and Mike can compare training notes.
2007-02-28 6:34 AM

User image

hey guys im going to be 100% honest i am currently struggling to get motivated to do anything! it sucks i will be sitting there thinking i need to go for a run i need to go for a ride and i need to go for a swim, but havent! All that doesnt mean i havent been doing anything im still pretty busy i play 2 40 mins games of oztag touch football (i will give u guys a link if u wanna know what its about) and 1 game on wednight these are by no means easy games with the whole game spent running i also play mixed netball on thursday nights. so im not sure if im burnt out from this but i know that my legs are tired on tuesday and thursday from footy. So if any 1 has any motivational speeches comments or challenges let me have em!

cheers guys

had to let it out

malphh

2007-02-28 9:17 AM

User image

Expert
Hey Malph!!

Sounds like you need a pep talk. I hope you aren't getting sick, as my spirits declined greatly when I was sick and took awhile to get back up there! Maybe you just need a bit of a break? Firstly, you are kickin red bike with the low body fat--you suck!!! I can't get mine down no matter what I do. I blame it on being female, but it probably has more to do with the carbs I crave so much, especially when working out more. So, give yourself a great big pat on the back for that! And realize that playing footy IS a workout. You are developing cardio and endurance and speed with that. Training isn't supposed to be all work--it's supposed to be fun, too. Perhaps you just aren't as driven and High D and all that as the rest of us. Maybe you are more balanced? I personally am a first born, High D type and really competitive--but I'll likely keel over from a heart attack some day while cussing and passing a little old lady driving 25 mph in a 65 zone!

So, go out and have some fun today and forget completely about "working out". Just go do whatever you want to move your body as long as you enjoy it! Or just kick back with a movie and bowl of super buttered popcorn and veg out. You'll get back on it when your mind and body have rested a bit. I have complete faith in you

I recommend bitin' off more than you can chew to anyone.

---Alanis Morissette
2007-02-28 10:00 AM
in reply to: #705857

User image

Malphh - 2007-02-28 4:34 AM

hey guys im going to be 100% honest i am currently struggling to get motivated to do anything! it sucks i will be sitting there thinking i need to go for a run i need to go for a ride and i need to go for a swim, but havent! All that doesnt mean i havent been doing anything im still pretty busy i play 2 40 mins games of oztag touch football (i will give u guys a link if u wanna know what its about) and 1 game on wednight these are by no means easy games with the whole game spent running i also play mixed netball on thursday nights. so im not sure if im burnt out from this but i know that my legs are tired on tuesday and thursday from footy. So if any 1 has any motivational speeches comments or challenges let me have em!

cheers guys

had to let it out

malphh

Malph: I just looked at your logs and you had a great few weeks, and sometimes when you go full force for a bit, your body tells you it needs a rest week. I cut back all my workouts last week because I really was not feeling it. I mean, I almost always want to go out for a run, but I just didnt feel the energy. All race training plans work on a cycle where you build for a few weeks and then cut back for a week. CUtting back doesnt mean doing nothing but it sounds like you are still keeping up your cardio fitness. When Im feeling really lame, I just tell myself to go do a short workout -like "just go and run 10 minutes, at least your getting out there" and usually by the time IM ran 10 min, I feel ok and do a little longer. It just seems less daunting to plan a short run. I think prof is right, find a training plan - there are really good free ones on here, and figure out when you need to get really serious about your race. Having a workout to follow really helps because you dont need to THINK about what workout you are supposed to be doing and when you dont have to think, there is less chance to decide not to do it

Mike: Congrats on your running series! In terms of bridging to tri training, i have looked at some "run focused" tri plans and it looks like 3 days/week of running with maybe an ez run, a interval run, and a long run. Then you should do at least 2 days each of swimming and cycling. I think if you are doing a sprint tri, that should be totally adequate UNLESS you are not a very strong swimmer and initially you may need to spend some more time upfront in the pool. If you have lots of time, you could always add more! In a sprint tri, the cycling mileage is usually around 12-13 miles which really isnt too much and I think 2 cycling a week could be ok. If you are doing any longer races, Mark is right and you probably neeed to spend more time on the bike. I think this website has a run focused workout- I cant remember where but Im sure its somewhere!

Sean: Im just amazed that there are people in this country who are currently able to swim in a bay with Manatees! I mean, its winter everywhere else and I was skiing on Sunday while you were doing your mating dance. That is so cool and Im a bit jealous but I think I may have freaked out a bit if that was next to me during my workout. I swim in a lake during the summer and the most we have are tiny little fish. Wasnt it great to swim with a wetsuit?

Phoenix: I have never heard of a swim pedometer but maybe you could invent one and make lots of money? I guess with the gps technology out there, maybe those Garmin watches would work in the water and measure your distnance? iM not sure. Since i know you love to measure things, have you checked out that Ipod/Nike Plus running technology? You put that sensor in your shoe and while you are running, a voice comes over your music telling you "You have run 3 miles and your speed is __mph" I think it works with just the nano's but maybe regular ipods too. Its pretty cool, the chip is only 20 bucks., and if you dont want to buy Nike's, there is a little converter you can buy that ties it on your shoelaces. Its way more accurate than a pedometer. I dont have it personally but I have tested the technology and it was pretty cool.

Speaking of NIke, I am about to sign up for my second big goal of the year, the Nike Half Marathon in October. Its in San Fran (excuse for a trip!) and I got the email yesterday telling me the registration opens at 8am (which is in about 2 minutes) and I was actually really excited even though that race was a really hard race for me last year. I think its that I really want to go do it and improve on my time- even if its 5 minutes better I will be happy. So....its now about 8am and Im going to sign off heree and pay my money! My motivation is back this week, btw, and Im feeling prettty good. I had a good hard workout the past 2 days. Have a good rest of your week everyone!
2007-02-28 9:04 PM

User image

Minneapolis
1. fitness check in, I did a 3 mile run yesterday and swam 14 laps. Today I did my 10 mile bike ride and had to teach a low impact class tonight too. I am working on meeting my goals for the week.
2. Immersion swimming: MN only has about 5 people who are certified to teach the Immersion method and they all work at the YWCA of Minneapolis. I personally know two folks who are great coaches. We have weekend long trainings about once a month. If you are on this side of the pond and want a weekend training look up the website: ywcampls.org If you come to town, I will take you out for a beer!
3. One Immersion guy is doing a double across the english channel this summer. He did a single a few years agao; Dave Cameron is amazing! He is not just planning to swim himself, he has also worked really hard to select, train and support a group of 8 youth to relay swim across the english chanel- they will the first group of youth to do swim ever. They are rasing money for minority health disparites AND raise money to pay for swim lessons for low income kids at our childcare centers (note: kids of color die from drowing 5 x more than white kids in MN.) If you can get more get more information at the YWCA web site: ywcampls.org. If you want, no matter what side of the pond you are on, you can donate to thier trip.
4. New peeps: hello you fit right it! Dont be shy and we will not bite to hard!
5. Where am I from: MN, minneapolis to be exact. We are a metropolitan suburb: all the arts and transportation of a big city but all the strip malls of a suburb. Today it is snowing agian. When it is cold it is cold(20 to -30), when it hot it is hot (summer it is 90 with 75% humidity). We have alot of green space. And I love it here.
P.S. I am not pregnant. thanks for asking.

okay, see you tommorw.
BGT
2007-03-01 3:00 AM

User image

righto guys new month and im feeling a lot better about it all. Went for a short ride today just to prove i can do it and i did. Just looked at my monthly totals for all and this is this months plan
bike: 225kms
run :30kms
swim: 10 hours

any1 think i should make these higher or lower let us know!

cheers
malphh
2007-03-01 8:42 AM

User image

Regular
Ok all i started my base-building bike training today. 30 minutes and 6.67 miles. i decided to to start on a life cycle to get my butt toughened. Oh by the way the thing that got me really committed to this tri is on this link:
www.active.com/donate/mmg2007/mmg2007MHall

I am doing this to open up my life to you's. DO NOT FEEL OBLIGATED to donate. It's just a cool thing and maybe someone will investigate the possibility in their little corner of the world.

2007-03-01 10:06 AM

User image

Expert
Good Morning!!

Happy March. Looks like the Ides are here as we have no school again today due to snow, ice and wind. Yuck! I'm stuck indoors again.

BGT--I did look up your YWCA TI info and I have to say I am very tempted to try to make this work. I'm from MN originally and my mom lives north of you in a little town called McGregor--about 2 hours from the cities. So, she could possibly meet me there and babysit/visit the grandkids while I swim. There wasn't much info on times, dates, and how many sessions one typically needs to do to be tri worthy. Can you point me to that info? I'm not thinking I'll be a great swimmer by June 10, but this is a lifetime committment for me, so I'm not in a huge hurry. Once a month for awhile is about all I could squeeze in. And I would love to meet you too! Minneapolis is a pretty happening town Ever catch a glimpse of Prince? Or his purple house?

Jose and Watergirl--I have a health question for you. I have a bit of asthma and this run is really hard for me! I can't compare myself to the rest of the running world, as my lungs just don't work as well as everyone else's. So, I'm doing a very slow build up increasing speed a tenth each day and distance a tenth each day as well. I did 2.3 miles at 4.2 mph and that was pushing my lungs/cardio. Sad, huh? Do you think I should push myself indoors without using the inhaler? I'm currently not using it. Lungs are still congested, but not hurting anymore. I also think there is some psychological overlay because when I was a kid and had to run the 600 yard dash outdoors, I would hyperventilate or have an asthma attack or whatever. No one ever DX me or treated me. So I have an image of myself as this hopeless case when it comes to running. And with the adrenal problem, I suppose the "fear" of failure creates a sympathetic nervous system response that leads to bronchial constriction. Any ideas? Is Xanax a good idea or should I just do a shot of brandy first? LOL Seriously, though, I do want to conquer this run! And I'm doing a half marathon September 23 even if I have to walk it!! No, cancel that. I'll run it some how Thanks for the tech info on the Nikes, watergirl. Not sure if I'll do those, although they aren't that expensive and sound really comfortable. I also like the idea of the Nike ID. My velo club has a yahoo group and there was a fellow that went for a bike ride and a dog attacked him. He went face first into the ground, got a concussion and was found laying there with blood all over his face. A neighbor knew who he was and called the ambulence, so that was lucky. Made me think perhaps an ID thingy isn't such a bad idea. What do you all think of that? One of the bike dudes was talking about this GPS watch that was given to him that calculates a bunch of stuff including calories burned. He said one day he burned 2500 calories! That sounded right up my alley, but it was during a group cycling class, and I didn't want to butt in and ask him the brand name or how much it was, etc. Is that the Garmin deal you were talking about? If it's water proof, I may have to put it on the rewarding myself for trying so damn hard list. Healthier for me than lava cake And lasts longer than flowers!

Think I'll do one more run today and try the inhaler first. Maybe some rescue remedy, too. (homeopathic for anxiety and stress in an alcohol base) And I'm getting back on the bike to try the long interval deal, too. I'm growing muscle according to my body fat scale. Hate it when I gain weight, but it's nice to see the muscle percentage increase and the fat decrease a teeny tiny little bit. Gees that's frustrating! Are calipers a better way to go than those bioimpedence scales? I've noticed that when a woman gains water weight during the menstrual cycle, the scale says there is more muscle mass (muscle holds water) and if I am constipated, the scale reads that as more fat. So, I'm wondering if they are all they are cracked up to be and if there is a more reliable way?

Did you get your Nike run scheduled then, watergirl? I so hope you did! I think I did look up the all women's tri and it wasn't anywhere close to me, or was scheduled during one of my other events that I'd already registered for. Maybe next year. It did look really fun!

BGT, don't give up on the mother hood thing. It's a very complicated thing, conception. I tried for almost a year after my first miscarriage of twins. Have you had your thyroid tested? I do take T3 as my thyroid is caput. No amount of natural remedies would help mine, it's genetic from my paternal grandmother. Yippee skippy. I have ALL the wonderful health problems But my point is, I didn't get pregnant at all until I started taking thyroid meds, and didn't keep my babies until the amount got increased for my peculiar needs. You might have a subclinical thyroid problem, too, and if it tests "normal", but you have symptoms, then perhaps a natural remedy would help. Just a thought. Weight problems and fertility are two glaring signs of thyroid imbalance. If you tend at all to be depressed, then I would RUN to an endocrinologist and have the whold thyroid panel done. Thyroid meds are much better for you than Prozac, trust me!!
2007-03-01 3:37 PM

User image

Expert
Since I'm snowed in today again, I did the muscle recruitment bike interval workout. The good news is that they do seem to increase power and speed, as this time I did 85 miles up from 65 last time, with the same number of intervals and amount of rest spinning between and warmup, cool down. I just didn't need to rest spin as slow apparently. I'll try for 100 miles next time by doing the top end of intervals instead of the low end. I think the 20 minute intervals workout--the first one--is where you really gain the power and I'm looking forward to doing that one again and going a bit faster and possibly increasing the amount of intervals. I'll wait to increase the resistance for when it no longer feels like pedalling through really thick mud.

I wish I could so easily see the gains with running and swimming. Any ideas for the very best intervals with those--ones where there is the "guarantee" of noticeable improvement fast? I did find a world beat reggae CD that I think will mellow me out with the run Kind of interesting to hear reggae in French and Japanese!
2007-03-02 7:10 AM

User image

Minneapolis
I will work on TI information for you. Can I give your email address to Jenn Peck, she is one of our lead TI coaches. I know in April they are going to Iowa but I feel like they have a workshop once a month. If you want to send me a private email on BT with your email address I will pass it on to Jenn.
As for not being pregnant, not getting what you want the 1st time is very humbling. ALso I am already on thyriod meds and zoloft. I think I have letueal phase defect, my cycle is anywhere from 24 to 28 days, when I was not trying I did not care but now it makes me wonder if that is the issue.

Anyway, I am going to swim and shovel today. Great workout.
BGT
2007-03-02 10:32 AM
in reply to: #708162

User image

Regular
phoenixrising404 - 2007-03-01 3:37 PM

I wish I could so easily see the gains with running and swimming. Any ideas for the very best intervals with those--ones where there is the "guarantee" of noticeable improvement fast? I did find a world beat reggae CD that I think will mellow me out with the run Kind of interesting to hear reggae in French and Japanese!

For running i suggest mile repeats at 10K pace. or just take 30 - 45 seconds off your current comfortable pace. do two sets of 1 mile with 1/2 mile recovery jog. then make sure on your long run you are keeping the pace in check...do not expect or try for PR's in your mile splits. keep it EZ for recovery and aerobic conditioning purposes.
2007-03-02 11:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN
Subject: So do you mind one more?
I'm a very busy mom of 3. I work PT, telecommuting as a market researcher, and I'm training for my first 3 tris this year (3 sprints, with 2008 planned for Oly distance). I'm all about figuring out how to balance a very busy life and this new, fun, consuming interest! My husband is not an athlete, so sometimes my interests - like this - seem very foreign to him.

We live in northern MN... beautiful, but very snowy right now!

2007-03-02 11:42 AM

User image

phoenix: Ive been thinking about your asthma question; Of course without examining you after your runs, its hard to say if you are wheezing or not but I have some general comments. YOu are just getting over a respiratory infection which can cause lingering effects in your lungs even after you FEEL better- and if your airways are going to be prone to constricting at all, this is when they will do it. I wont go into the specifics (jose could do a much better job at that!) but the airways just wont be able to expand maybe as much as usual. That being said, if this is excercise-induced asthma (EIA) then you should be taxed when you are doing any form of cardio,not just running but cycling or vigorous swimming too. If you are feeling pretty good while doing those, my guess is that you are just still in the building phase of running and you shouldnt worry. Your lungs do eventually stop hurting, I promise! I think it isnt a bad idea to try an inhaler about 1/2 hr before your runs, and see if it helps. Ive said it a zillion times, but Ill say it again- dont worry about speed right now! (Of course, Mike had to say it to me too because even I forget this) I mean, doing the interval workouts will help for sure but just improve against your own time, not anyone elses. You just started running on a treadmill really so it takes time to get used to that too. I think you should maybe try weekly increases of length and speed, rather than every workout.
Oh- about the gadgets- you can get a basic heart rate monitor + watch that can calculate an estimated calorie burn for about 65$. If you want to go super fancy, there are these Garmin watches that link up with satellites and can give you real time distance and altitude information as you run or cycle outside. I would just start with the heart rate monitor, Timex makes a decent one or Polar is a good one too. It actually might really help you with your running as you get started- it helped me to learn what it feels like to be in my target zone and I loved seeing how many calories I burned on my workouts. I was running above my target zone and consequently never building the endurance so it slowed me down but I felt so much better!

Mike's right about those mile interval repeats, I did them last year training for my half and I was amazed at my progress by the end of the summer.

As an update, I signed up for my Nike Half- Marathon! I was so worried that I wouldnt make it in because the first 3 hours the online signup was open, the website was so overloaded you couldnt get on it! I sat there for almost an hour trying to sign up and I finally got on and paid my money. 3 other girlfriends signed up too so I am so excited for this race now! Unfortunately, its not until October so I have a long way to go. actually, thats a good thing.
2007-03-02 11:58 AM

User image

Expert
Thanks for the advice Mike and watergirl. And I'm looking forward to the TI info, BGT. I do get taxed with bike and swim, more with swim because it is so difficult as a super beginner right now. So, I do think it is partly asthma, but I can see that the lungs are still not healed from the URI either. I'm just not a patient person. How many one mile intervals do you do? I did do another two miles last night, but after the morning run and the bike, my legs were complaining and it wasn't fun at all. Can hardly wait to get outside and maybe it won't be so dratted boring. I find myself staring at the time/mileage on the treadmill and obsessing. There's nothing else to look at indoors except my ever increasing mess. The kids get into food coloring, make box forts and spill all manner of popcorn and snacks all over the floor. And when they are home from school because of weather, all the neighbor kids come over to my house to make a bigger mess, because I'm the crazy lady in the neighborhood that doesn't care too much if they do! I'm trying to post a pic on here, but it isn't working. The computer does the posting thing and then says "this page cannot be displayed". Oh, well. Maybe the pic will come up on here now?
2007-03-02 12:06 PM
in reply to: #709100

User image

Regular
Instead of mile repeats start with 1/4 mile repeats with 200 meter recoveries. do 2 sets of this after a 10 minutes warm up and followed by 10 minute cool down. once you can do eight 1/4 mile up the repeats to 800 meter repeats with 400 meter recoevery. see the pattern here?
2007-03-02 12:56 PM

User image

Expert
I'm trying to do this attach file after posting to upload a pic to the thread, so I had to write something.......
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  

of 72