BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2008-01-13 5:27 PM
in reply to: #1108061

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: triOK's group - The best group - Closed
Well... I spent more time than I care to admit at the bike shops today. The bad news is that I am so damn short that I couldn't ride home with a bike (none in my size). The good news is that I am so damn short that I couldn't ride home with a bike.

The first bike shop was horrible... it was bikes direct and he insisted on the only in stock 46 inch bike which looked like a cruiser (the tires were huge). It was $249 and so not what I wanted. Then Barbie (as in Barbie and Ken) walked in and it was over... he walked rapidly towards her with a "let me know what you think". I told him to keep his motorbacane.

I then went to a new bike shop in Scottdale... I was treated as if I were in Tiffany's shopping for the largest diamond with cash on the table. Again... they didn't have my size... so I can research and think about it. The two bikes I really liked there were the Specialized Sequoia and Sirrus. By the end I had two sales people... the guy def. leaned towards the Sirrus the woman leaned towards the Sequoia for me. I like both and feel that they are for the purpose that I want. I am not buying a tri bike... I want to be able to ride with my kids, ride for exercise, ride in a spring trip to wine country, etc.

Opinions?

Elizabeth

2008-01-13 6:04 PM
in reply to: #1152517

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
ldubbe - 2008-01-12 9:13 PM

You are completely right about swimming beginning at the hips. It is also very, very important to have a strong core. I recommend always doing a couple of sets of crunches before you get in the pool. It activates your core and makes you aware of it while you swim.

For beginners, don't even try for yardage. The first drill is to focus on floating. Learn how to stay calm in the water and learn about body position. Don't worry about how you look or what people may think. Get in a lane and do this drill (I was on a div-1 swim team and we would do this all the time):

Best to do this with a snorkel at first if you are not comfortable breathing to the side comfortably.

1. Float with your face in the water. Keep your arms at your sides and barely kick for forward propulsion (use zoomers or fins if you need them).

2. Focus on finding balance in the water without kicking or pulling. Think of your body as a lever on a fulcrum and your head is the counterbalance of the rest of your body. The slightest change in your head position will cause your hips to sink or float. Pushing your face  and forehead down and forward slightly in the water will make your hips pop up and lifting your head will make you hips sink. (If you don't believe me, while you are reading this put your hand up to your forehead, and then slightly push your head against your hand. You will feel your lower abs tighten. In the water, pushing your forehead slightly forward like that will engage your core and help lift your hips). Don't push down too hard, it is a very subtle movement. The water level should hit your forehead, not the top of your head. Play with the body position until you feel comfortable. DO NOT RUSH IT.

3. Once you feel like you have found balance and are comfortable, start adding a slow hip and shoulder rotation. When swimming, you are really mostly on your sides, not your stomach. Imagine a stake drilled through the top of your head that goes all the way down your spine. You are just going to rotate on that stake. Lead the rotation with your hips. Twist you hip to point to the bottom of the pool and the shoulder from the same side follows to come under your chin. Hold it there for a couple of seconds. Then using your hips, rotate to the other side slowly. Adjust your body position to maintain your balance. (Doing this will make you understand why the core is so important in swimming)

4. Once comfortable doing that, you need to add breathing. Get rid of the snorkel. When twisted on your side, you are just going to rotate your head on the imaginery stake. Don't lift it! This is a balance exercise. Your are just shifting that slight push down in the water that you were doing with your forehead and face to your cheek when breathing.

I hope this helps. Anyone, please feel free to ask me questions about swimming. I will try to help.

Thanks SO much, Lisa! Will do...

Lora

2008-01-13 6:22 PM
in reply to: #1153305

User image

Master

As long as they fit, I think either of those bikes would be great for recreation, fitness, your triathlons this year, and even wine tasting

The one Tri I did, I rode my mountain bike with slicks on it.  I even saw a few people on beach cruisers.  It was fun to see people just out there doing thier thing. 

2008-01-13 6:28 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Unsolicited tips #2 and #3....

For those of us just getting back into exercising, you are placing lots of new demands on your body.  Ensure you are drinking enough water throughout the day.  Your morning should start with a 10-16oz of water, followed 6 to 8 more of those throughout the day.  I try to drink at least three to four liters a day, but flying tends to dehydrate you, so I up it because of that.

Also, take a multivitamin once a day.  Nothing fancy, just your basic multi to ensure you aren't missing anything from your regular diet.  Your body will thank you. 

2008-01-13 7:19 PM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio
Hi Everyone!
Everyone has had so many good things to say this weekend. Lisa, great swim advice. I think I need to spend some more time floating. I have some bad habits including trying to swim on my stomach. I tried using the little floats you hold between your legs and it seemed to help me rotate better. I can't wait to swim tomorrow. I haven't been in the pool with my own zoomers. I got them Thursday and haven't used them since lessons.

I have got to pay more attention to my nutrition. I drink a lot of water, but I think I haven't been eating enough. I woke up in the middle of the night and was really hungry. I'm a really heavy sleeper and it takes a lot to wake me up. I'm going to try to eat more small meals.

I went to a cylocrosse race Saturday. (http://www.txbra.org/home/index.asp) A friend was racing and we went to cheer him on. He rides a single speed fixed gear all the time. A fixed gear bike means you are always spinning and to stop you have to stop pedaling. He did that yesterday and then rode the same bike on our mt. bike ride. Jeeze. I'll post some pictures in my album later. I think I might try a cyclocrosse next season. The races here in town are after Oct (my scheduled Olympic length) It looked like a lot of fun. We went to: http://www.flatrockranch.net/today. It was a great ride with big climbs.

I'm doing the Olympic 2x balance 16 week plan. I was trying to figure out how to change it, but I've ended up just using it as a guide. I've been paying attention to the time for each of the sports but I've had to switch days. The bricks are really hard for me to do during the week Tuesday I'm planned to do 58 minutes bike and 29 swim. I have a really hard time getting up in the morning but I think that is the only way I'm going to be able to do those.

Sorry to ramble on....
Les
2008-01-13 7:48 PM

User image

Veteran

...get your butt out of bed, Les!!!!!

2008-01-13 7:51 PM

User image

Veteran

I was feeling like a real team player after I got my workout all done today and am right on track for my goals for the week....just now remembered that it doesn't start til tomorrow!!!

2008-01-13 8:12 PM
in reply to: #1153517

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

Well being on track is a good thing, no matter if your running a little early!

Elizibeth, both bikes sound great, your just gonna have to narrow it down to which one you like the best.

On Topic / Off Topic.

On topic, I resisted the urge to run today, and gave my legs the break they needed. However I did break out the resistance bands and did an upper body ( Chest Arms and Back) work out with them.

Off Topic, Its getting time to renew my Paramedic Licsense and I have to have all of my Re-cert classes done by the 31st of Jan. I have  completed all except for one, ITLS, ( International Trauma Life Support.) I was supposed to have done it last month but the class I was gonna be in got cancelled. Everyone who I called about having another class failed to call me back. ( The put off...hell it aint there lisc on the line!) I really started doing my duck imatation today.  ( Staying calm cool and collect on top but paddling like h3ll below). In other words I was really starting to panic, I just would not let anyone see it. Finally, after an exhausting day of research I found a class on the 25th!!! Hooray!!! But I have duty on the 25th!!! Boooo!!!! Luckily there is only one other person off that day so I can take a holiday / vacation day and attend the class! Yeaaa!!!! And I get to keep my Paramedic Status for two more years !!!! Yea!!!!

2008-01-13 9:02 PM
in reply to: #1152866

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
I have a running question. You know how some of us come up with these little rules in our heads? Well... I have that about running. I tell myself if I am not going to walk/run at least 3 miles it isn't worth it. I notice many of you run for 30 or 45 min. I am slow... so for me to do 3 miles with warm up and cool down is usually somewhere around 55 min... give or take.

Thoughts? Should I stop worrying about mileage and going more with time?

Elizabeth

Edited by azelizabeth 2008-01-13 10:24 AM

I am by no means an expert, but from what I know its all about getting in the time right now. Try to stay in your set HR more than worry about speed. This is very hard for me to do because the compeditive side always wants to train faster.
2008-01-13 10:03 PM
in reply to: #1153515

User image

Veteran
San Antonio
aber4 - 2008-01-13 7:48 PM

• ..get your butt out of bed, Les!!!!!

• Yea, yea, yea.....What you don't know is that it takes 2 alarms, the tv coming on and the loaded coffee pot. Then...30 minutes in bed with coffee cup to reach consciousness. That means setting the alarm for 5:00 instead of 5:30. I think it is doable. :-0
    2008-01-14 7:53 AM
    in reply to: #1153622

User image

Regular
    Bristol, CT
    Here's my two cents on your question:  just focus on time rather than mileage.  The more time you get under your belt, the mileage will begin to take care of itself.  If a 45-60 minute run is a good workout for you, stick to that and slowly try to add say 10 minutes to one of your runs once per week and make that your "long" run.  Only thing you want to avoid is increasing time/mileage too fast, and doing the same run every time out.  Mix it up a bit so your legs have easy, medium, and hard days.  Hope that helps!

2008-01-14 7:56 AM

User image

Regular
    Bristol, CT

My goals for the week for the challenge:

35 running miles (4 workouts)

35 biking miles (2 workouts)

3500 swimming yards (2 workouts)

Daily stretching

2008-01-14 9:39 AM

Veteran
    My goals for the challenge this week is as follows:

2X Swim, Bike, Run

500 yds main set both times

10 miles then 15 miles

15 minutes and 20 minutes in the heart rate zone + however long it takes to get up to and down from it as warm up and cool down

note to self: work out during the off season so I dont suck as much at the beginning of training...

Edited by coldheat 2008-01-14 9:42 AM
    2008-01-14 9:52 AM

User image

Veteran

I have to say how much I appreciate this group, and the Challenge, because I woke up this morning kind of sore and feeling like crap, and i KNOW that without this I'd have said screw it, and not worked out today...but I got it done!
    2008-01-14 9:57 AM
    in reply to: #1154399

User image

Indianapolis, Indiana
    Great job !!!! A little motivation goes a long way
    2008-01-14 11:11 AM

User image

Expert

aber4 - 2008-01-14 9:52 AM I have to say how much I appreciate this group, and the Challenge, because I woke up this morning kind of sore and feeling like crap, and i KNOW that without this I'd have said screw it, and not worked out today...but I got it done!

If your tired...You should stay in bed and rest........

2008-01-14 12:33 PM

User image

Master
    Loveland, Ohio
    aber4 - 2008-01-14 10:52 AM

I have to say how much I appreciate this group, and the Challenge, because I woke up this morning kind of sore and feeling like crap, and i KNOW that without this I'd have said screw it, and not worked out today...but I got it done!

Tell me about it, Alan. I just logged my stuff. I got outside - with my two large dogs - in 26 degree weather to do my walk. There is absolutely no WAY I would have done that if it was not for this group and the accompanying accountability. Just...no...way.

Kudos to you for pushing through.

Lora

2008-01-14 12:54 PM

User image

Veteran

Has anyone done a tri with an indoor swim that can tell me what the rules typically are? ...meaning am I going to be able to stop part way through and hack the water out of my lungs????
    2008-01-14 1:16 PM
    in reply to: #1154931

User image

Master
    Dothan, Al
    I have not done any Tri's yet... much less an indoor, I would think they would let you stop to prevent drowning...maybe.
    2008-01-14 1:25 PM
    in reply to: #1155007

User image

Regular
    Bristol, CT
    If you stop to breathe during the indoor swim, be prepared to get clobbered by those in the lane behind you.  Make sure it's a quick breathe!!!
    2008-01-14 1:36 PM
    in reply to: #1155037

User image

Master
    Dothan, Al

For those of you having a MONDAY! like I have ( I'll explain more later..) this is posted to make you alugh your @zz off and make your monday a little better. and if your a fan of this then SFYL!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=101090&posts=1&start=1

2008-01-14 1:49 PM

User image

Expert
    Pittsburgh

For an indoor tri, there may be a time limit for the swim, and if you don't complete it in that time you would get out of the water and given that time.  With any kind of reasonable swimming, the time is usually very liberal.  It doesn't mean that you're the only one in your lane, there will be others who will pass you if you stop (be sure to stand on the wall to the side of the lane), but the time limit prevents a lane getting clogged up with a lot of people stopping.

2008-01-14 1:55 PM

User image

Veteran

Just watching my TI DVD I got in the mail today...no wonder i suck at swimming...see lots of things I need help with. Thinking I'm going to add another 2 swims a week to my schedule just to do drills.
    2008-01-14 2:01 PM

User image

Veteran
    San Antonio
    If you are thinking that you have to swim in perfect freestyle doing bilateral breathing or they will let you drown...I don't think so. Is it a rookie tri? How far is the swim? You know that my experience is really limited, but I went to a seminar and a woman that had done two IM said that she did some on her back, on her side, a little breast stroke. It made me feel better when I did the back floating sculling with my hands in the Danskin. This year I'll do my first coed race. They do have a rookie swim wave that I will definitely be in. Ask the organizers about the first timer accommodations. If they don't have any, maybe you should look for another event. Great job getting your butt out of bed this morning. I'll do better tomorrow!~
    Les
    2008-01-14 2:26 PM

User image

Ok... here is who I have in for the challenge.  If I missed you, shoot me a PM and let me know.  this thread is really hard for me to keep track of....

Aviator1595

aber4

razorxp

krludwig

l.dubbe

cworley

kruss

ditchdoc

coldheat

stayfocused

denny.l

mifiremedic

gator416

lkagop

shanaspree

Who'd I miss?

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 52