BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-05-02 3:36 PM
in reply to: #2831551

Regular
Nebraska
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-25 8:32 PM

2010-05-02 3:40 PM
in reply to: #2831485

Regular
Nebraska

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-25 8:32 PM
2010-05-02 3:54 PM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Kasia-Good call on the 9:30 we did 10: 30 and trails right after or getting out of the water were so slick you could barely run and I'm sure by the evening they were probably impossible to walk on
2010-05-02 5:23 PM
in reply to: #2831485

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
Dwayne - 2010-05-02 3:10 PM

Before
After

Great pics. Congratulations Dwayne!

2010-05-02 5:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
Looking at the results from St. George, I saw the names Tim and Caitlin Snow. Caitlin finished 3rd in women's. Not sure where Tim finished but he was up there. I see their names all the time when I look up results from local races. It turns out they live not too far from me. Apparently they travel far and wide to compete. Caitlin's splits were amazing.

2010-05-02 5:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Dwayne - Love the pics - more - more

2010-05-02 7:05 PM
in reply to: #2831506

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
thall0672 - 2010-05-02 2:29 PM  Congratulations Lisa! Is a water temperature of 76 degrees supposed to be cold? I have no idea since I have no frame of reference. Sounds warm to me though!

TRACY, ha ... is 76 degrees supposed to be cold?  Well, I guess not, if you ask STEVE A, STEVE B, DENISE, MANDY or KASIA!!  I think Steve A's water temp was 59 this weekend and the ice is still melting off those northern lakesWink for the others.  If you think about your body temp being 98.6 degrees, then 76 degrees will feel relatively cool (but is comfortable enough to swim in), without a wetsuit. I believe the cut off for wetsuits is 78 degrees.  My gym keeps the pool about 83 degress, anything warmer than that and it gets hot for me swimming laps. Now, today, my pool at home was 84 degrees ... too cool for my DH, but I took a great nap on my float after the yardwork.

DWAYNE, great pics, thanks for sharing. Don't think I could handle that mud!

LISA

Edited by lufferly 2010-05-02 7:05 PM
2010-05-02 7:15 PM
in reply to: #2830715

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
midlifeinsanity - 2010-05-01 7:46 PM

LISA - Outstanding!  I looked at the Woodlands course awhile back.  Nice layout.   Details, please?

M, you should definitely look into CB&I next year. It was a great course, lots of volunteers and police support, and good post race food.  500 meter swim in Lake Woodlands with maybe about half wearing wetsuits.  Nice sandy beach entry with midwater start, straight line out and back (the last couple years it had been a triangular course), then out of the water on the boat ramp. Plenty of room in transition despite the fact there were 1050 athletes. Great fast 15 mile loop bike course on nice roads through the Woodlands.  Nice 5k run past multimillion dollar homes being built on the lake.  Very well organized event and it was nice being able to check my bike in the night before.  And the fact it's about 15 minutes from my home was an added bonus!

LISA
2010-05-02 8:58 PM
in reply to: #2831732

User image

Champion

DWAYNE -

Great photos, incredibly cool headwear (presumably not manufactured by the Headsweats people!). I wonder how many workers in the Metroplex will show up at work tomorrow wearing theirs. (And will you be one of them?)

You mentioned being sore in places you didn't even know about, and I'm guessing you could extend that to finding mud in places you didn't previously know about. Just a guess, though.....

2010-05-02 9:01 PM
in reply to: #2831291

User image

Champion

DENISE -

400 people in the first 15 minutes? Ah, it's a sick world we live in!

Had you stayed with a diet of the truffles and the brownies and the apple cake, you would not have needed a bicarb. It's all the smelts' doing!!

2010-05-02 9:16 PM
in reply to: #2832124

User image

Champion

STEVE --

Yo?

I'm thinking about you a lot, hoping you're doing fine. I just read the first ten race reports here at BT, and that's some gripping reading. One person considered the day great, while the others pretty much got brutalized just about every step of the way. It will be sobering to see the official DNF numbers on this one -- they might set a record for % DNF for a North American iron. And I'm not playing with hyperbole here.

For you to make it through what was thrown at you yesterday is most impressive -- you should be very proud of yourself for persevering against some staggering obstacles.

Anyhow, I hope you are well, and that no medical assistance has been necessary!

2010-05-03 6:48 AM
in reply to: #2832146

User image

Champion

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen, llamas and jellyfish!

Aside from the members of Red Sox Nation, who are either in a state of agitatis extremis or flat-out comatose, how are we doing?

It's warm and rainy here, more reminiscent of mid-June than early May. We'll see what this does with my bike plans today, which were for 40-60km, depending. I guess if I'm going to take it out in the rain, today is a pretty good day because on Wednesday it's into the LBS for the annual comprehensive tune-up and overhaul-as-needed.

Other than that, it's a swim and a lift. No run, did 11.6km Saturday and 10.4km yesterday, with the neuromae behaving for both. Will I make it though this one uncompromised??

2010-05-03 6:58 AM
in reply to: #2832463

User image

Champion

BIKE-CLEANING

How often are you doing that? I'm asking because I looked at a friend's bike yesterday, as she was having trouble with shifting, and when I went to fiddle with the chain I came away with fingers come gunged and blackened. She smiled and said, "Oh, yeah, I've just gotten it all lubricated!"

What she did was (a) put on way too much lubricant, and (b) put it on before she had cleaned off previous layers of gunge and lubricant. Oops!

I won't go into the whole process of cleaning and oiling a chain --- unless there are lots of requests! But for me it is a three-step process:
(1) Using a degreaser, remove dirt, grime, and residual lubricant from the chain, cogs, and rings.
(2) Wash away (spray hose) the degreaser.
(3) Dry thoroughly.
(4) Apply lubricant sparingly and work throughout the rings and cogs but turning the cranks amnually while running through all the gears. (I can do this myself with my long simian arms, but some of you might need an assiatant. Or, just take it out for a spin on a clean road!)

A clean drivetrain will help with performance and will save wear on the components - chain, cogset, rings. Plus, it will not make an unholy mess of you every time you have to diddle around down there (dropped chain, or changing out the rear wheel).

Sorry to be preachy and pedantic first thing on a Monday morning!

2010-05-03 7:10 AM
in reply to: #2831244

User image

Champion

SHAUN -

I too thank your mom for throwing you in the water at an early age, as I really and truly enjoy your swim successes!

Maybe parents who did that were the precursors of Total Immersion. "What should we do with Shaun today?" "Oh, let's totally immerse him in the lake; that's always fun!"

I too was in the water from a very early age, and I think that has everything to do with being mentally and emotionally comfortable in any water conditions. (I don't say "physically", because poor circulation to my extremities creates some problems in really cold water.) That is certainly a help in races in which the water tends to be wild, although as I siad to someone here quite some time ago, very few of my 80 or so triathlons have been in challenging water (i.e., daunting waves, chop, or current).

Maybe the difference between you and me is that you made it just shy of lifeguard training, which along the way would've instilled some sort of skill set -- or several of them. Like millions of others, I used to say I was "going swimming", but that was really just splashing around and maybe - maybe - doing a few strokes.

In triathlon, things get shuffled. Alll those people who you felt you couldn't compete with in the 200-500 swims? 99% of them aren't doing triathlon! There are still many good and great swimmers in triathlon, but most of us are late-comers to competitive swimming. So for someone like you, who is a Lapsed Swimmer (there's a play on words there that wasn't intentional, but i like it!), you're able to call on some of that previous training and experience.

Lucky bugger!!

2010-05-03 7:22 AM
in reply to: #2831244

User image

Champion

SHAUN again -

Very intersting comment: "....I'm finally actually fueling for success in the training vs probably not eating enough. Especially around times of workouts."

Oh so true! If I'm reading your thoughts correctly, that certainly applies to me as well. Without going into a huge discussion here, I'll just say that for me it is easy to forget that gels and fluids are supplements, NOT designed to take the place of real food. For years I have fallen into that trap and its twin -- trying to get at a "good" race weight. Consequently, I often don't eat as well as I should, and at times this can become quite haphazard. The fact that I have never monitored what I eat adds further to the problem.

I'm always humbled when I read what the pro and elite triathletes do for meals and snacks -- there aren't many shortcuts in what they put into their systems! From late '03 until into '06 I was vegetarian, and I worked very, very, very hard at eating well -- which involved a huge amount of serious cooking and preparation. So, when I read the meals and snacks of the pros, i know I have been there.....but I'm in no hurry to chain myself to the kitchen again, as I did for those two-and-a-half years!

And, are we even talking about the smae thing here as what you were getting at in your comment above?

2010-05-03 7:26 AM
in reply to: #2832530

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

GREAT day for both the Snows is right! They have been around for a while, and I'm sure they've raced at Timberman and Mooseman. I can't recall ever laying eyes on them....but I know their names when I hear them!

2010-05-03 7:32 AM
in reply to: #2832533

User image

Champion

More on BIKE-CLEANING

What is on your chain should never be black and/or thick. Think sludge -- you don't want sludge! It should be just a trace of oiliness when you rub a finger along the chain, and ideally with not much color at all. When applying it, think about the old jingle for Brylcreem: "A little dab'll do ya!"

More of me being pedantic. Sigh......

2010-05-03 8:05 AM
in reply to: #2829681

Master
Kitchener
Anne Thank you for your post. Is this as complicated to put into practice as it seems? For instance, I am still hoping to lose 10-12 lbs. From what you post, I'm assuming I should balance my caloric deficit across carbs, fat & protein, and not try and do it mostly with carbs, even though that would be easiest because it comprises the bulk of my caloric intake. What does Carmichael give as an appropriate daily caloric deficit in order to train hard but still lose weight, or is this too individual to have a general guide? I know that I am going to be in the 6-9 hour range for my weekly training volume. I am interested in comments from any group member. Mark

MARK,

Here is some information on Carbs and Weight Loss from Carmichael.  FYI, it really doesn't differ from the other 'experts' in the nutritional field.   I studied Nutrition at Queen's for a bit years ago and the science of it all hasn't really changed.   The general population just seems to be discovering over the past several years.   Kind of funny, actually.   

Hope you find it interesting (and helpful).  

WEIGHT LOSS

The best time to actively pursue weight loss is in Foundation/Base, Preparation/Build or perhaps Transition. However sometimes we need to use Transition to recover and rebuild so weight loss does not contribute tot that. DEFINTELY do not try to lose weight during Peak/Specialization (4-6 weeks prior to racing). Many people decide they have to be a certain weight in order to compete or perform at their best. But what ends up happening, a lot of times, is that the caloric restriction needed to achieve that body weight conflicts with the increased caloric intake they need to support their activity level. As a result, workout quality diminishes, recovery suffers, and fitness erodes. Instead of getting faster, you start suffering from small, nagging injuries and losing power.

(Carmichael does not reference how many calories to restrict, but other sources I have read recommended 100-200 calories per day reduction to SAFELY and PERMANENTLY reduce weight. The slower you lose the weight the easier time your body has to ‘shrink’ and if you are significantly overweight, you will have far less ‘excess/sagging skin’ after weight loss).

Excess Carbohydrate is Rarely Stored as Fat

Science shows that the common belief that excess dietary carbs are stored as fat may not be entirely true, or at least shows that less carbohydrate is stored as fat than previously thought. Studies show that when glycogen tanks are only partially full, carbohydrate will be stored as glycogen until your muscle stores are completely replenished. When glycogen tanks are full and there is still more carbohydrate available, or if excess carbohydrate is consumed, you burn less fat until the excess carbohydrate is burned off. Even at rest, your body can down-regulate the oxidation of fat in the presence of excess carbohydrate. This means you use the extra carbohydrate to fuel normal bodily functions rather than storing it as fat.

While the mechanism is different from what was previously believed, the end result is the same. Since overeating carbs reduces fat oxidation, you end up burning less fat than normal for a given period of time. This means that less of your already-existing fat stores will be broken down, and possibly that more of the fat you consumed in the previous meal will be stored as well. As a result, you may end up gaining weight. The important distinction is that the weight gain is the result of reduced fat oxidation AS OPPOSED TO the conversion of carbohydrate to fat.

This has important implications for the way we perceive the relationship between carbs and fat. When we believed the usage of fat and carbs at rest were mainly independent of one another, it was easy to blame carbs for significantly contributing to fat storage. Now that overeating carbs has been shown to reduce fat oxidation, it’s clear that the carbs themselves are not the problem, but rather then problem is not burning off ENOUGH carbs during the day.

When a high carb meal is consumed, fat oxidation only decreases when you already have FULL glycogen stores. After activity, you continue burning fat to supply energy for normal activities as you store the glucose in your post-exercise meal. Athletes, therefore, should not fear carbs because an athlete’s activity level leads to glycogen depletion. The carbs you eat will then be stored as glycogen, and if you eat more than is needed to fill the glycogen tanks, most of the excess will be used to fuel normal daily activities and will not be stored as fat.

How Low Car Diets Work

There is no doubt that people who stick to a low-carb diet can lose weight, but their weight loss has less to do with carbs and more to do with behavior and physiology.

- Initial Weight Loss is Due to Lost Glycogen and Water Weight

When you stop eating carbs you burn through all of your stored glycogen reasonably quickly. May take a sedentary person 2 days to deplete their energy stores, and an athlete less than one day Glycogen stores 3X its weight of water with it, meaning one gram of glycogen is worth a total of 4 grams of body weight. The majority of the initial weight loss (4-6 pounds) people see with a low-carb diet is due to glycogen depletion and water loss. This does not mean a person is necessarily dehydrated, because the water lost was the water stored within the muscle with glycogen. Water content in other tissues and in the blood may remain normal.

Of concern to athletes is the fact that in the first few days of carb deprivation, during the transition from burning stored glycogen to producing ketones (byproducts of fat metabolism) for energy, your body creates as much glucose as it can from skeletal muscle proteins. Your muscles are broken down to supply amino acids, which the liver then uses to produce glucose. Over the course of a few days, muscle-protein loss contributes to initial weight loss, but it also robs you of power and muscle mass that you worked so hard to gain.

- Foods Higher in Protein and Fat are more Filling, So you Stop Eating Sooner

This can be spun to the benefit of either the high or low-carb community. The low-carb community points to the less-filling nature of carb-rich foods as the reason people eat portions that are too large, and in some cases, they are correct. Some sweets and crackers lack both the fiber that make fruits and vegetables more filling and the caloric density that makes starches more filling. When your carbs come primarily from sources that are QUALITY carriers, however, you don’t have trouble feeling full after eating appropriately sized portions.

2010-05-03 8:24 AM
in reply to: #2832611

User image

Champion

ANNE -

Great Carmichael post, Anne. Merci!

A Queen's lady, eh? Well, THAT explains a lot!

Yesterday morning we found a white-throated sparrow in our garage, bopping itself against a window trying to get out. I had to remove it by hand, and in the process asked if it was the one adopted by you. If so, it wasn't saying; just flew away without even a thank-you!

2010-05-03 8:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Hey Steve,
I'm taking an extra day off today even tho I have another, longer tri in 3 weeks.  I need your ok so I don't feel guilty.
Denise
2010-05-03 9:06 AM
in reply to: #2832751

User image

Champion

DENISE -

No guilt necessary, not one iota! Two days off post-race is not out of line, and if you are even feel a bit peaked tomorrow, take that off, too. I have learned that there are no real ground rules for recovery, and the factors that contribute to how much recovery is needed are myriad. Recent sleep patterns, race-week training, race effort, number of smelt consumed post-race ---- all of these will factor into how much recovery time is required.

So, continue to bask in the glow from Saturday, and when you return to the fray, do it with just some easy stuff until you are feeling nice and frisky again!

2010-05-03 9:13 AM
in reply to: #2832835

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

Are you aware of the Whaling City Triathlon, in New Bedford on July 24? It's a 0.25 mile swim in Buzzards Bay, 11.3 mile ride on closed roads (always a treat when that happens!!!), and a 3.3 mile run.

Great logo for the race, too, and reminds me of part of a line from Walt Whitman -- "flukes splash"!

It's one of the Sun Multisport races, the same people who do Cranberry.

Thinking about it??

2010-05-03 9:17 AM
in reply to: #2832859

User image

Champion

• ...and with this post we pull even with Evondo's Group. Who's going to make the post that catapults us past them? (It won't be me, as I'm off to the pool and the gym....and maybe the bakery !)

• (Pool is to gym is to bakery as glub is to grunt is to gulp.) (??) ( )

See you all later!

2010-05-03 9:26 AM
    in reply to: #2832871

User image

Expert
    Caratunk, Maine
    stevebradley - 2010-05-03 10:17 AM ....and with this post we pull even with Evondo's Group. Who's going to make the post that catapults us past them? (It won't be me, as I'm off to the pool and the gym....and maybe the bakery !) (Pool is to gym is to bakery as glub is to grunt is to gulp.) (??) ( ) See you all later!

I definitely have to stop at the bakery after the pool, I am always so hungry after a swim!

Ran yesterday and easy 3 miles, my first run in 2 weeks.  I felt really clunky for lack of a better word.  Had a 38 mile bike ride the day before, which felt great.  Calf was.....OK. Not great, it bugged, but it was more like it is too short or something.  Hard to explain.  Hurts some today, hopefully it will be OK at the tri this weekend.  Ha, if I make it though the swim without busting a lung!

STEVE A - hoping recovery is treating you well. 

Cheers,

Mandy
    2010-05-03 12:56 PM
    in reply to: #2832611

User image

Veteran
    Mason City, IA
    latestarter - 2010-05-03 8:05 AM

Anne Thank you for your post. Is this as complicated to put into practice as it seems? For instance, I am still hoping to lose 10-12 lbs. From what you post, I'm assuming I should balance my caloric deficit across carbs, fat & protein, and not try and do it mostly with carbs, even though that would be easiest because it comprises the bulk of my caloric intake. What does Carmichael give as an appropriate daily caloric deficit in order to train hard but still lose weight, or is this too individual to have a general guide? I know that I am going to be in the 6-9 hour range for my weekly training volume. I am interested in comments from any group member. Mark

MARK,

Here is some information on Carbs and Weight Loss from Carmichael.  FYI, it really doesn't differ from the other 'experts' in the nutritional field.   I studied Nutrition at Queen's for a bit years ago and the science of it all hasn't really changed.   The general population just seems to be discovering over the past several years.   Kind of funny, actually.   

Hope you find it interesting (and helpful).  

WEIGHT LOSS

The best time to actively pursue weight loss is in Foundation/Base, Preparation/Build or perhaps Transition. However sometimes we need to use Transition to recover and rebuild so weight loss does not contribute tot that. DEFINTELY do not try to lose weight during Peak/Specialization (4-6 weeks prior to racing). Many people decide they have to be a certain weight in order to compete or perform at their best. But what ends up happening, a lot of times, is that the caloric restriction needed to achieve that body weight conflicts with the increased caloric intake they need to support their activity level. As a result, workout quality diminishes, recovery suffers, and fitness erodes. Instead of getting faster, you start suffering from small, nagging injuries and losing power.

(Carmichael does not reference how many calories to restrict, but other sources I have read recommended 100-200 calories per day reduction to SAFELY and PERMANENTLY reduce weight. The slower you lose the weight the easier time your body has to ‘shrink’ and if you are significantly overweight, you will have far less ‘excess/sagging skin’ after weight loss).

Excess Carbohydrate is Rarely Stored as Fat

Science shows that the common belief that excess dietary carbs are stored as fat may not be entirely true, or at least shows that less carbohydrate is stored as fat than previously thought. Studies show that when glycogen tanks are only partially full, carbohydrate will be stored as glycogen until your muscle stores are completely replenished. When glycogen tanks are full and there is still more carbohydrate available, or if excess carbohydrate is consumed, you burn less fat until the excess carbohydrate is burned off. Even at rest, your body can down-regulate the oxidation of fat in the presence of excess carbohydrate. This means you use the extra carbohydrate to fuel normal bodily functions rather than storing it as fat.

While the mechanism is different from what was previously believed, the end result is the same. Since overeating carbs reduces fat oxidation, you end up burning less fat than normal for a given period of time. This means that less of your already-existing fat stores will be broken down, and possibly that more of the fat you consumed in the previous meal will be stored as well. As a result, you may end up gaining weight. The important distinction is that the weight gain is the result of reduced fat oxidation AS OPPOSED TO the conversion of carbohydrate to fat.

This has important implications for the way we perceive the relationship between carbs and fat. When we believed the usage of fat and carbs at rest were mainly independent of one another, it was easy to blame carbs for significantly contributing to fat storage. Now that overeating carbs has been shown to reduce fat oxidation, it’s clear that the carbs themselves are not the problem, but rather then problem is not burning off ENOUGH carbs during the day.

When a high carb meal is consumed, fat oxidation only decreases when you already have FULL glycogen stores. After activity, you continue burning fat to supply energy for normal activities as you store the glucose in your post-exercise meal. Athletes, therefore, should not fear carbs because an athlete’s activity level leads to glycogen depletion. The carbs you eat will then be stored as glycogen, and if you eat more than is needed to fill the glycogen tanks, most of the excess will be used to fuel normal daily activities and will not be stored as fat.

How Low Car Diets Work

There is no doubt that people who stick to a low-carb diet can lose weight, but their weight loss has less to do with carbs and more to do with behavior and physiology.

- Initial Weight Loss is Due to Lost Glycogen and Water Weight

When you stop eating carbs you burn through all of your stored glycogen reasonably quickly. May take a sedentary person 2 days to deplete their energy stores, and an athlete less than one day Glycogen stores 3X its weight of water with it, meaning one gram of glycogen is worth a total of 4 grams of body weight. The majority of the initial weight loss (4-6 pounds) people see with a low-carb diet is due to glycogen depletion and water loss. This does not mean a person is necessarily dehydrated, because the water lost was the water stored within the muscle with glycogen. Water content in other tissues and in the blood may remain normal.

Of concern to athletes is the fact that in the first few days of carb deprivation, during the transition from burning stored glycogen to producing ketones (byproducts of fat metabolism) for energy, your body creates as much glucose as it can from skeletal muscle proteins. Your muscles are broken down to supply amino acids, which the liver then uses to produce glucose. Over the course of a few days, muscle-protein loss contributes to initial weight loss, but it also robs you of power and muscle mass that you worked so hard to gain.

- Foods Higher in Protein and Fat are more Filling, So you Stop Eating Sooner

This can be spun to the benefit of either the high or low-carb community. The low-carb community points to the less-filling nature of carb-rich foods as the reason people eat portions that are too large, and in some cases, they are correct. Some sweets and crackers lack both the fiber that make fruits and vegetables more filling and the caloric density that makes starches more filling. When your carbs come primarily from sources that are QUALITY carriers, however, you don’t have trouble feeling full after eating appropriately sized portions.

Hey, thanks for this detailed post Anne. It'll take me a while to sort through it and figure out how to use it. One this is that I should not try to lose weight at this point since I am 7 weeks out from my A race. Looks like I really need to learn more about caloric intake timing.
    A question I have is, per Fitzgerald in his Racing Weight book, it appears that 750 calories is the most the body can absorb from a single meal. Any thoughts on this Anne, others?
    Mark
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276