BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-05-03 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2832859

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!
stevebradley - 2010-05-03 10:13 AM

TRACEY -

Are you aware of the Whaling City Triathlon, in New Bedford on July 24? It's a 0.25 mile swim in Buzzards Bay, 11.3 mile ride on closed roads (always a treat when that happens!!!), and a 3.3 mile run.

Great logo for the race, too, and reminds me of part of a line from Walt Whitman -- "flukes splash"!

It's one of the Sun Multisport races, the same people who do Cranberry.

Thinking about it??

SteveB:

I'm aware indeed! I'm holding off on registering for that one for now. I'll see how Escape the Cape goes first! If there's still space after that, then I'll probably do it.

2010-05-03 2:24 PM
in reply to: #2832533

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-05-03 8:26 AM

TRACEY -

GREAT day for both the Snows is right! They have been around for a while, and I'm sure they've raced at Timberman and Mooseman. I can't recall ever laying eyes on them....but I know their names when I hear them!

Yup, they raced at Timberman sprint last year. Tim came in 1st, and Caitlin came in 5th overall (1st in women's). Caitlin also came in first in overall women's on the bike and run portions.

2010-05-03 3:01 PM
in reply to: #2832902

User image

Champion

MANDY -

Good stuff on the run! It's all about a gradual return at this point, and 3 miles, easy, sounds about right!

"Clunky"! I use that term, too, to describe my runs that feel........clunky! I guess I'd say to anyone who said "Clunky? What's that?", that they'll know it when they feel it. I mean, it's unmistakable, right?

No bakery post-swim, but Starbucks and some Vanilla Wafers that were lurking in the car. Post-lift, another Starbucks....but no snackies at all. Righteous, or what??

And good on the 38-mile ride, too. That one deserves a nice, fresh, apple turnover!

2010-05-03 3:11 PM
in reply to: #2834033

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

Does the water crisis affect you? Looking at a list of communities affected, you're not on it....but some of the listed ones are pretty close to you! I'm seeing 24-48 hours of conditions requiring boiling, so I sure hope you're free this little inconvenience!

(And how will concessions stands for the Bruins and Red Sox deal with this tonight? Not that that should be a real concern, but.....)

I'm gonna print off the info for Whaling City Triathlon, and start scheming and dreaming!

2010-05-03 3:34 PM
in reply to: #2834066

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-05-03 4:11 PM

TRACEY -

Does the water crisis affect you? Looking at a list of communities affected, you're not on it....but some of the listed ones are pretty close to you! I'm seeing 24-48 hours of conditions requiring boiling, so I sure hope you're free this little inconvenience!

(And how will concessions stands for the Bruins and Red Sox deal with this tonight? Not that that should be a real concern, but.....)

I'm gonna print off the info for Whaling City Triathlon, and start scheming and dreaming!

No water crisis here, we have well water.

For some reason I imagine the vast majority of Sox and Bruins fans drinking beer and eating hot dogs/sausages/other fried fare. So hopefully they won't be too affected!

2010-05-03 3:53 PM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Mark,
I just emailed the Albert Lea RD about water temp.  He said it was 57 last week but he expects it to be at least 62 by race day.
The web site says it was 59 last year.  I actually don't know what any of those temps feel like but going by what other people say, 62 would be cold but obviously not as bad as 59.
Denise

2010-05-03 7:53 PM

User image

Hey Everyone.

Greetings from Los Angeles, and many thanks for all the support.  As usual, what follows is likely to be a self-indulgent entry, but I want to get some thoughts out, and this is a good way for me to do it with people who I think will "get it".

IMSG is over, and I have very mixed emotions.  Have to say, I'm a bit depressed, but I suspect that's normal.  Kind of like the feeling 10 minutes after all the Christmas presents are open.

LOL.

So...IMSG....what to say.  It was really two races for me.  A good one, and a not good one. 

When I got to town on Thursday, I had a nagging headache in my temples...wasn't a good sign.  I couldn't tell if it was lack of sleep (sleep had been tough coming those last few days), stress, or the altitude.  St. George is only about 2,500 feet, but living at 100 feet above sea level, I fear that my blood as thinnned somewhat.  I never went away - I had it through race morning, but more on that later....

Anyway, spent some time at the swim course, which is GORGEOUS, and played in the water.  I was happy to see the occassional sleeveless swimmer out there, proving that I was not the only moron out there swimming sleeveless.  In the end, the water wasn't that bad.  Did a swim on Thursday and Friday to keep loose - just about 45 and 30 minutes, nice and easy. 

Noticed that the headache was worse after swimming...nagging question in my mind.

So, race morning...3:00 am came early.  We were first to the bus, first to the swim start, first to use the bike pumps, and first to stand around saying, "what's next?"  Heh.  Two hours of listening to people talk about how hard the race would be, and I was ready to get it on.  I kept thinking to myself, "nobody forced you to sign up for this..shut up and race."

Swim start - there really is nothing like it.  Jason and I timed it perfectly.  We were being hearded down the beach like wildabeasts heading for the river crossing.  When we got to the water, it seeemed like there were thousands already in the water.  Once in, I found Jason again gave him a high-five, and he pointed to the shore...there were still thousands trying to get in...or that's how it seemed.  Truely amazing.  I had just enough time to think, "Oh my god, it's EPIC!" when the gun went off.  We were in the water maybe 1 minute before the cannon. And we were off.  It was a great experience.  Swam non-stop - except the time I got smashed in the face - losing my goggles for a second. I was lucky to grab them off the back of my head, fix them, then off again. I was proud of my swim - I was able to draft when I needed it, paced well, and never felt out of my comfort level by much. 

Lots of time on the swim to think, and one of the things I thoght of was how brutal the swim is.  The bike and run are quite civilized, but the swim is real carnage.  People do swim right over you, across you, kick, elbow, slap, you name it.  And only on rare occassion does someone pause to say, "sorry dude."  LOL. No worries.  The quote from D. H. Lawrence, "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself..." flashed in my mind - which was weird, because I'm not a big D. H. Lawrence fan or anything...maybe it was just that the swim is so primal in a way.  Whatever, I would remind myself of that quote several times during the day.

Anyway, 1:25 or so later, I came out of the water, a bit frozen, but happy with my time.  Grabbed my bag, sat down and because the sky was clear and the day promised to warm despite the prior week's weather report, I opted for my tri top and arm warmers.  I was teeth-chattering until the end of the first climb, shaking so hard I would not go into my aerobars even on the flats for fear of crashing.  But by the end of the climb, I was warming up and really riding well.

First loop was AWESOME.  I was pleased with my split, considering two things.  First I stopped to help a rider who couldn't get her tire back on her bike.  I felt I really needed some karma for the day.  She kept saying "thank you so much" and I  kept saying back, "hey, it's not like I'm challenging for a Kona slot!"  Second thing...I kept having to stop to go to the bathroom...5 times on the first loop.  Unexpected, as I was right on schedule with the hydration. REgardless, great first loop - crushed the hills, and was joking with people on the climbs.  I remember passing someone on "the wall" and him saying, "Impressive."

And, the downhill was fun.  Wide road, plenty of room and the wind laid down...41 mph was my max - never been that fast before. 

Of course, it all came crashing down around mile 80.  I couldnt' get any more liquid in me - the stomach was bloated as hell, despite the fact I was right on schedule with my fluids.  Then came that aweful feeling that I might need a porta-pottie quickly - and not for the good reason.  I stopped several times along the second loop to do my best to pre-empt problems later, but never managed to get things "cleared up" if you know what I mean. 

The second set of ascents were hard - they hurt a lot, and I kept thinking of that quote.  People were walking their bikes up some of the smaller hills at this point, and on "the wall", I must have ridden by 10 people walking their bikes up that hill.  As bad as I felt, I was still one of the faster climbers, but it was much harder.  I got passed by a young female rider who was alternating standing and sitting, and I followed her cue, breaknig it into 15 revs standing, 15 sitting, 15 standing 15 sitting...until it was mercifully over. 

And that's when I knew it would be a really log day.  I was wheezing - the asthma had kicked in, and I was having a hard time breathing when I got to T2.  I still had 15 miles or so to go, and the winds had picked up, but I didint' care.  I had never been so agressive in a descent - I scared myself I was riding so fast, but I didn't care.  I just wanted off that damn bike!  I kept thinking, "The legs feel OK, when I start running, it'll break up the GI issue...just need to run to that first aid station, hit the porta-pottie, and I'm back in this thing..."

Heading out of T2, the legs felt good...they really did.  But it wasn't the GI that would end up crippling the run - it was the lungs.  I just couldn't get any air into them.  I was wheezing and puffing -even when walking.  I think I might have run 4 of the 26 miles.  By the second loop, I couldn't even run downhill without getting dizzy, and had to settle into a fast walk.  I suspect I sounded like Darth Vader to those passing me, or those I passed.  Heh.  I kept saying to myself, "just run to that next rest station" only to fall short.  Then to the next cone...only to fall short.   It was the most humbling experinece of my life, and I'm ashamed to say I was walking with my head down for a while, embarrassed to be walking. 

But, before too long, that qutoe kept returing to my head, and I kept walking as fast as I could.  The hammy started singing around mile 15, the left knee around 18, and by 20, the feet were so sore...I've never been in that much pain before.  I made the final turn-around (6 miles to go)  just shy of total dark, and knew that I'd have plenty of time to finish if I could coax the legs into it.  Whenever I found my spirits dropping, I'd see people headed out on the outbound leg, people with 10, 11, 12 miles to go, all walking now, and if they were to do the math, they would know that at the turn-around, they'd be stopped.  But they kept on going.  It was awesome to see - the shear determination of people who couldnt' mathmatically finish just kept going until they were pulled off the course.  I saw people getting sick, people limping, crying, but always moving forward.

EVENTUALLY, I was able to turn the corner and head downhill - coaxing myself into a run - I gues to put on a good show for all the great supporters that were lined up along the course.  I only had two thoughts running down that hill...the first was "don't fall down...keep it together".  The hammy and knee were so painful, I was afraid I'd fall down.  The second was to try to get some space between myself and the other runnners in my area - in the hopes of hearing him say my name.  While I managed to stay on my feet, I didnt' get to hear my name.  But that's OK...I'll hear it next time.

From there, it was a blur.  I got caught by a very nice retired woman named Christine who gave me a hat and t-shirt, and one of those metallic space blankets.  Next thing I knew, she was putting me in front of a photo screen - flash - photo taken...then off to medical, where they were nice enough to get me an inhaler and I was able to start breathing a little easier. 

All in all, it was a great, inspiring, fun, thrilling, tiring, scary, humbling, painful, and worthwhile experience.  I saw the eventual winner, Weiss, pass me like I was standing still on my first loop of the bike - I was feeling good at that point, really thinking I was going to do something special - and was inspired to see how fast he was going.  I spent some time walking with a British guy, my AG, who missed a Kona slot at Florida by 10 mintues the year prior, reduced to walking to a 12:30 finish....he missed his target time by 2 hours, but was upbeat and joyful.  I remembered him when I crossed the line in 15:30-somthing.  2 hours past my goal.  I was bouyed by my wife and brother who walked along the course with me at mile 14 - just into the second loop on the run, and knowing that they'd have to wait at least 3 more hours to end their long day of pulling for me.  I saw a guy who had crashed on his second descent, arm taped to his body, walking on the marathon, wincing in pain with every step - his collar bone snapped.  But he was going to finish.  I don't know how he did it, but he did.

Looking back, I can't help but to wish I had done better.  I have all sorts of nagging doubts in my mind - was it something I ate?  Did I go out too hard on the first loop?  Why didn't I pack my inahler, and would it have helped?  Maybe if I tried to just push through more on the run, the lungs might have improved.  Maybe if I'd chosen a different race - I'd had the wheezing problem every training ride in St. George.  Maybe my lungs just aren't cut out for that dry, thinner air.  But then I realize that thinking like that is selfish - especially when I was able to finish.  I might not have been the race I wanted to run, but it was the race I was able to run, and I ran it.   And those words keep coming to my mind..."I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself."  

Anyway, again, thanks to all of you for sharing this with me.  It was a great help knowing that you'd be checking in on me, and while I wish I could have put up a more impressive number, I did get a boost every time I crossed a tracking map, knowing there were some people out there who would say, "he's still moving..."  :-)

Medal is hung now with the others.  Stuff is put away.  Wetsuit is sitting in the bathtub getting clean.  Off to New Orleans on business tomorrow - will bring the suit and goggles for some recovery work.  A couple more weeks of leg rest to get the hamstring healed.   Vineman had better look out - I've got a score to settle.  Laughing
2010-05-03 7:54 PM
in reply to: #2834200

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
LadyNorth - 2010-05-03 3:53 PM

Mark,
I just emailed the Albert Lea RD about water temp.  He said it was 57 last week but he expects it to be at least 62 by race day.
The web site says it was 59 last year.  I actually don't know what any of those temps feel like but going by what other people say, 62 would be cold but obviously not as bad as 59.
Denise

Denise
Thanks for the update. Last year was my first race this early in the year, and first with a wetsuit. Last year the swim start was from in the water. You had to jump in off a dock and acclimate to the water for 3 minutes while you waited for your wave to start - it was not a running start from the beach. I don't know if that is always how they do it. I used the term "bracing" to describe how the water felt when I jumped into it, it was a shock but not miserable. It certainly motivated me to want to start moving and warm up. I do remember that my feet felt well, . . . it was hard to feel them coming out of the water, so running to T1 was awkward, but that was the worst of it (they didn't warm up much until the run, either). A buddy of mine loaned me his thermal swim cap last year. If you have one, I recommend you wear it. It is only a 440 yd swim, so you aren't in the water very long. My swim time was 7:23, so total I was only in the water 10-11 minutes. Any degree warmer will be welcomed.
Mark
2010-05-03 8:08 PM
in reply to: #2834703

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
STEVEA!!!

What an awesome report. I was getting tears in my eyes reading some of this - the stories of people (including you) who just push on despite all odds is just so inspiring and moving.

What a huge accomplishment. Despite the anti-climactic feeling you describe, you've got to be feeling pretty darn proud of yourself right now.

Congratulations.

Tracey

2010-05-03 8:21 PM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Awesome report Steve A!

I got chills reading it.  Especially the parts about the people you knew wouldn't be able to finish given where they were with the time left, that kept going, pushing forward.  AND the guy with the broken collar bone.  Holy crap.

I was bragging about you to my friend Beth - telling her about this tough as nails guy from CA with like half a hamstring doing IMSG. 

Seriously, you are such a rock star and inspiration - and I love that you said something about "next time".  I hope you are proud of how you did and take all the lessons you learned to your next race. It is always kind of weird after you finish something you have worked so hard and so long for, there is this weird post-race depression that sets in.

I also love how you said 'I kept thinking to myself, "nobody forced you to sign up for this..shut up and race."' SO TRUE! 

I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself... That is stuck in my head now!  

Congrats, Ironman!

Recover well.

Cheers,

Mandy
2010-05-03 8:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
STEVE A, thank you so much for that inspirational, soul bearing report.  I'm with Tracy and Mandy with tears and chills reading it.  What an accomplishment!  I'm sure there will be some post race depression but you've accomplished what only a few do.  After a week or so of recovery, it will be on to training for the next challenge ... Vineman!!  Thanks again for sharing with us!

LISA

2010-05-03 8:55 PM
in reply to: #2832488

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
stevebradley - 2010-05-03 6:58 AM BIKE-CLEANING How often are you doing that? I'm asking because I looked at a friend's bike yesterday, as she was having trouble with shifting, and when I went to fiddle with the chain I came away with fingers come gunged and blackened. She smiled and said, "Oh, yeah, I've just gotten it all lubricated!" What she did was (a) put on way too much lubricant, and (b) put it on before she had cleaned off previous layers of gunge and lubricant. Oops! I won't go into the whole process of cleaning and oiling a chain --- unless there are lots of requests! But for me it is a three-step process: (1) Using a degreaser, remove dirt, grime, and residual lubricant from the chain, cogs, and rings. (2) Wash away (spray hose) the degreaser. (3) Dry thoroughly. (4) Apply lubricant sparingly and work throughout the rings and cogs but turning the cranks amnually while running through all the gears. (I can do this myself with my long simian arms, but some of you might need an assiatant. Or, just take it out for a spin on a clean road!) A clean drivetrain will help with performance and will save wear on the components - chain, cogset, rings. Plus, it will not make an unholy mess of you every time you have to diddle around down there (dropped chain, or changing out the rear wheel). Sorry to be preachy and pedantic first thing on a Monday morning!

STEVE B, funny you should mention this. Friday night when I was getting ready to load my bike up for my race, I thought it might be good to use a lubricant.  I asked my DH about it and he said I really could stand to have my chain cleaned but since they were calling for rain, I just figured it might get dirty anyway during the race, so just opted to lube it (plus I didn't want to be playing around too much with things the night before my race). But this does remind me that I need to do take care of that before my next race on June 27th.

LISA
2010-05-03 9:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

SteveA - You ARE an IRONMAN

And not just any Ironman - you did St George.  Boy, the stuff I've been reading about that course.

And you're a SWEETHEART too - helping that woman with her tire - I bet she told everyone about this fantastic guy who stopped to help her - that's way cool.

Thanks for sharing - like others I got chills reading about it.  Keep sharing tidbits as you remember more stuff you forgot to mention

Denise
2010-05-03 10:06 PM

User image

Champion

STEVE -

I'm a little misty-eyed right now, having read your report for the first of what will likely be many times. It's probably the most honest and heartfelt report I've ever read, but beyond that I'm just happy to know that you're fine......and in full post-iron reflective mode.

There are many things to say to you, and it'll take me a few posts to say them all - partailly because we have a long day of house-viewing tomorrow and I need to get to bed soon.

Yes, it's very common to feel depressed following an ironman; many things have been written about post-iron letdown. After IMLP I had Timberman HIM four weeks later, and that was a great thing to have as a focus. You have Vineman, but that's what -- about 10 or 11 weeks away? I would suggest gauging your depressed/letdown feelings for a week or two, and if they persist you might want to scramble and see what's out there for you to set your sights on. Just a thought!

I hear you about walking being a very humbling experience, and being embarrassed to be doing it --- it as like that for me at IMLP, right down to times of walking with my head down. I think all of us who have tackled an iron have harbored a fantasy of running the whole 26.2, except for walks through aid stations --- and very few of us have fulfilled that fantasy. Having said that, I will go my grave wishing I had done less walking at IMLP.....but there is cold comfort in knowing that I was not alone. And neither were you!

Stuff happens during ironman, and you had two biggies -- the breathing and the G-I distress. One of those would be miserable; both of them, and the fact you worked through/around them, are a tribute to your toughness and perseverence.

Not lost in your report is the hugely generous act you committed in helping with that woman's wheel. It takes a mighty fine person to bring themselves out of their own iron-world and extend part of their race to someone else -- even for just a few minutes. That was a wonderful thing to do.

Your litany of descriptors -- great, inspiring, fun, thrilling, tiring, scary, humbling, painful, worthwhile -- to describe the experience do a great job of capturing it all. You were obviously as in tune with every moment of the race as you were throughout your very impresssive training.

And the aspect of being in tune throughout the race ---- there is no suggestion that you lost clarity of thought to any extent at all. I agree that many, mnay people were unable to do any math at all, and yet there you were, doing it for them. And the people you saw and the thoughts you managed to formulate about them -- that powerfully suggests that you had your full mental capacities with you at all times, and that is huge!

Ironman can be a cruel mistress, and while I fully understand your wish that you had done better, you did as well as you could on that particular day, given the cards that were dealt to you - asthma symptoms, gut issues, hamstring/knee/foot pain. I know you will continue with the dissection of the day, but in the end you will realize that you did nothing terribly wrong -- no egregious errors at all! Some of the "mistakes" one might make are ones of very small degrees, such as going out too hard. That's worth thinking about, but your results and the various splits don't suggest that you pushed too hard on thre first loop of the bike.

One thing is true, however -- that was a tough day for a tough course! I've read that the slow T1 times for so many people was due to how many were frigid after the swim. And your account of chattering teeth at the beginning of the bike supports that. I also read that the DNF rate was 14+%, and that is enormous. So, it's a very challenging course, likely the most challenging one on the North American Ironman scene. And you might also be right about not doing well in dry, thin air -- that's definitely something to consider for future races at the half-iron and iron distances.

Off to New Orleans??? Oh, goodness gracious, I hope you're in first-class where you can spread out a bit! If not, then you have my permission to just sprawl in an aisle and have people step over and around you. If any of the stewpersons have a problem with that, have them call me at 613-764-1867 ASAP!!

Enjoy a leisurely swim or two, but keep 'em short! The next 3 or 4 days should be geared towards rest and etaing and eating and rest and eating some more. Then rest. (And stay away from fried smelt!)

Any signs of DOMS yet? You don't say anything, and it's about 48 hours post-finish, so you might be fine. if anything sets in where you find that movement seems impoosible --- have faith that it will all clear away within a day or two!

And I think that's it for now!

2010-05-03 10:12 PM
in reply to: #2834200

User image

Champion

DENISE -

For my blood and its poor circulation, 59 is cold. (But 62 is tolerable!) For someone like Steve, 55-59 is really nothing at all.
And as I said a few days ago, you can do polar bear plunges, so my guess is that you'll be fine at Albert Lea.

How long is the swim? 500m? 750m? It'll be easy for you! if you have any doubts, wear a second swin cap -- that'll reduce any ice-cream headache sensations. Vaseline on the feet might help some, too. Emerging from the water will help lots!

2010-05-03 10:13 PM
in reply to: #2834835

User image

Champion

LISA -

That's lots of time to clean your drivetrain --- maybe even several times over!!

2010-05-03 10:16 PM
in reply to: #2834971

User image

Champion

DENISE again -

I don't mean to question the RD, but between now and the race I would espect the water to warm up a bit more than 5 degrees. If it's 57 now, I'm saying 64 by race day (May 22 or 23?). And 64 is borderline balmy!!

2010-05-03 10:23 PM
in reply to: #2834973

User image

Champion

BANNER NIGHT FOR BOSTON SPORTS!!!!

Bruins beat Flyers, lead series two games to none!

Celtics beat (by 18 points!) Cleveland IN CLEVELAND, to even their sereis 1-1!

Red Sox crush the Angels, 17-8.

Wheeeeeeeeeeee!

2010-05-03 11:20 PM
in reply to: #2832488

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
SteveB,

Can you go over cleaning and oiling a chain? Or send a link? I'm clueless. I take it you remove the chain first, or no? Also, you mention that the chain shouldn't be black and/or thick, but mine came like that after I purchased the bike from the LBS. Well, more black than thick. Should I be cleaning it sometime soon? And how often should I be doing this cleaning and oiling?

As you can see, total newbie over here.
2010-05-03 11:20 PM

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
SteveA,

Wow. What a post. I also had tears in my eyes from your heartfelt and detailed description of your emotions and experience as well as hearing about the determination of others to finish or just get as far as they could before getting pulled off the course. Incredible. An Ironman really does bring out the best in human spirit and it's bone-chilling to hear some of the stories from that day.

Your perseverance is inspiring, as is your ability to push through all that was thrown at you during the race. I hope you're recovering well, both physically and mentally, and I know you will be well prepared to tackle Vineman.

Kasia
2010-05-04 4:34 AM
in reply to: #2834987

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-05-03 11:23 PM

BANNER NIGHT FOR BOSTON SPORTS!!!!

Bruins beat Flyers, lead series two games to none!

Celtics beat (by 18 points!) Cleveland IN CLEVELAND, to even their sereis 1-1!

Red Sox crush the Angels, 17-8.

Wheeeeeeeeeeee!

Woo hooooo!!

2010-05-04 4:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Wow SteveA, remarkable story. Amazing you were able to push on through an asthma attack. Inspiring. Mark
2010-05-04 6:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Steve A- All I can say right now Is Excellent Job!!
2010-05-04 6:38 AM

Master
Kitchener
STEVEA,

Thanks for sharing those heartfelt and honest thoughts on your race performance.   There are not alot of people who would bare their souls like that.    I can understand the feelings of depression.   This race has been the focus of your life for many months and even though you may have thought the race would never end, it was over in a flash.  

I think you ran a great race and agree with all of SteveB's comments - you kept your mental focus through the entire race and continued on through all that pain.    I made a comment to my husband the other day about something that seems to set the elites apart from others and that is their capacity to ignore the pain and often even excel as a result of it.    Looks like you are one of that group.  

Not sure if you have checked the stats on some of the other racers yet, but as SteveB said there were TONS of DNF's, even some of the pros.    

Despite never having met you, I feel like I know you and it is an honour and a privilege to able to call you a friend.

Hope you do take time to have a good recovery and have a wonderful week.

2010-05-04 10:27 AM

New user
SteveA,

GREAT job on the write up! Thanks for sharing the highs and lows you went through. I as well as most others defintely had some chills. Was a great read and one I'll probably read a few more times. Great stories on others you saw and helped.

'I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself'
'nobody forced you to sign up for this..shut up and race'
'hey, it's not like I'm challenging for a Kona slot!' - My favourite.

Thanks for sharing as much as you did and I hope to hear more in time.

Your comment about getting passed by the event winner to me is a plus when it comes to courses you run/ride laps on so you can see and maybe get motivated by those high level people.

Great jon on IMSG and I'm sure they'll only get better from here for you!

Shaun

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276