BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-05-04 10:28 AM
in reply to: #2833621

New user
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!
Anne,

Many thanks for the snippets from Carmicheal's book. That's now been added to my list.

2010-05-04 10:54 AM
in reply to: #2832506

New user
SteveB,

Apparently all those years of swim lessons have paid off in one way or another! However, it was never in a lake, always in the community pool that probably never got above 65F. I hated going into that pool. And of course, lessons were always between 8-11am so it was always SUPER cold. I dislike cold water from a comfort point of view. So we'll see what I think of open water swimming later this month and in June.

Even though I made to almost be a lifeguard, most of the later training was in rescue and safety. Often times had tests in treading water and sculling (as in sitting in a semi reclined position with your head out of the water and the big toe of one foot pushing a kick board for at least 50m using only your hands).

The earlier training has definitely helped.

Now that I'm part way through Wes Hobson's Swim Bike Run, I can no longer read the chapters about specific workouts. Their times for swimming and accompanying workouts are way out there and I have trouble imagining even getting there!! The fact they refer to 1:12/100m as 'average' is down right scary.

We are almost on the same page in regards to fuel. I think I have been a classic case of under eating. Or maybe more so under eating on what our bodies need. I have had a great focus in the last 2 years on eating less carbs. To the point of at least 50% of my dinners contain no starchy carbs (rice, pasta or potato). I had virtually cut out all sources of carbs except at breakfast (bagel) and lunch (light frozen entree, Lean Cuisine or similar). Recently, I have started eating bread again and having a couple slices with lunch. I'm now also drinking Gatorade before/during/after workouts. I'm using gels during some workouts. Realistically I am re-balancing my diet to get closer to a better diet for an athlete.

One of the passages that Anne posted that basically says carbs do not turn into fat if you eat too many of them, but they slow down the burn of fat created a very large light to go off in my head. Realizing how the body changes food into fuel is helping me to realize my diet needs to change. One of the side benefits is in about 2 weeks it appears as though I've lost about 5 lbs after stagnating for 3ish months yet my volume kept going up while sticking to the low carb ideal. All very very good food for thought for me.

So I'm looking to get Carmicheal's book and then read it followed by the Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athlete's and to take a look at another book I have called Sports Nutrition. Then hopefully I'll be able to work in changes over time to get more even.

I'd be very interested to read about the pro's and elite triathlete's diets. Like you, I can't tie myself to the kitchen but I think this would be very interesting if not somewhat inspiring in helping me change how I eat. Sticking to the classis 'diet' ideals (low carb, low volume, high protein etc etc) really don't work for the amount of training a lot of us do.

Catching up on an earlier task of mine. I checked my stop watch against my Garmin for timing and always within a 0.02 seconds. SOOOO....I now believe my 3:15-3:22 times for 200m. Another trial of that again this week. I will be hoping to repeat and feel as good throughout them.

Finally nice enough to ride outside again last night and got in 24.x miles averaging 18.4 mph. Most of the time in aero but also some time getting used to trying to drink from a water bottle on the new bike. A bit dicey, but progress is being made. The only discomfort I had was in my shoulder blades, across the top of the back. I anticipated this a bit as that is a very new position for my body to be in. I also adjusted the bars down and away a bit to get stretched out a bit more. Going to go back for next ride and see if same discomfort is there. Also plan on figuring out the size of handlebars, length and angle of stem to see if I can go longer and maybe with a less aggressive angle.

Edited by smarx 2010-05-04 4:44 PM
2010-05-04 11:06 AM
in reply to: #2834703

Regular
Nebraska

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-25 8:38 PM
2010-05-04 11:20 AM
in reply to: #2559115

Master
Kitchener
STEVEA or B,

I did my first session of long hill climbs today - starting week 9 build phase.    It said to do them at V02 max intensity (a hard, but controlled pace that you could hold for 6-8 minutes).   The hill should take 5 minutes to climb.   Finding a hill that long around here is a feat in itself but we thought we knew one that might work and it was good enough - took me 4'20" to climb.

I'm thinking that the purpose of this session is to get the HR into the zone and keep it there for the duration?  rather than caring about how fast you are going up the hill?   As usual, the winds were crazy - 31 km/hr headwind up the hill.  

If there had been little or no wind, I would have gotten to the top quicker.   What would you recommend me to do if I can't find a hill that takes more than 3 minutes to climb?   Why do they want it to be 5 minutes?    I think I will be doing this workout for the next few Tuesdays. 

Thanks.  

2010-05-04 2:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
Can anyone tell me what kind of speed increases you get when you ride clipped in? I'm currently averaging about 14.5 to 15.5 mph unclipped (depending on the wind conditions) and am wondering how much faster I'll be able to go when I ride clipped in.

Thanks!

Tracey

2010-05-04 2:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
Had a pretty good swim today (13 1/2 minutes for 500 meters) but my left shoulder is really feeling it. I've never had shoulder problems from swimming before so I'm not sure what's going on... I was sharing a lane, and I know I tend to keep my arms more inward when I'm sharing a lane because I'm always afraid I'm going to hit either the other person or the lane marker. So maybe that's it. It's a nagging ache that starts in my shoulder and is radiating down my upper arm, ending just at the top of my forearm. Ouch...

2010-05-04 4:33 PM
in reply to: #2836538

User image

Champion

Some "teasers", as I'm just back home from aday of house-viewing, but now have to make dinner:

KASIA - No need to remove the chain for routine degreasing and cleaning and lubing! (more to follow....)

SHAUN - Downright infuriating when books ostensibly for people new to tri post times like the one you said. Grrr X 9! (more to follow)

ANNE - Settle for the best hill you can find. Most of this stuff is kinda sorta arbitrary. Do another repeat or two? (more to follow)

TRACEY - DON'T swim for a few days! Use ice and an anti-inflam! (MORE TO FOLLOW!!)

I'll be back later..............with those more to follows!

2010-05-04 8:34 PM
in reply to: #2836856

New user
STEVEB, ANNE, Others who want to chime in...(SteveA how could I forget about you....I'm not worthy!!, enjoy your rest!)

To ask another question...I'm getting ready to put in an order from Tri Zone and am curious about if there are some other small things maybe I'm missing that would make my life (or my tri life) a bit easier or more enjoyable...

So far I'm planning on getting:
  • Aero drink bottle
  • tubes
  • CO2 chuck
  • run visor
  • HEED (maybe change to Accelerade)
I already have speed laces and a race belt...What other things would they have that I should look at?

Edited by smarx 2010-05-04 8:59 PM
2010-05-04 8:53 PM
in reply to: #2835865

User image

Champion

SHAUN -

I will think more about your "wish-list", and I will try to do it fairly quickly so you can get the order in fairly quickly.

Where is your bottle cage(?) now? (If I could find the photo I would check, but....)

Scrap that thought. I was going to suggest that if you don't have cages behind the seat that might be useful, especially as those are the ones that are eaiest for me to get to. However, if you are getting an aero bottle THAT is the easiest one by far. As for positions of cages, though, that's highly dependent on one's position and their own body shape; my extra-long arms allow me to reach behind me with less shifting of my body than reaching for the one that is on my seat tube. I know hat shouldn't make sense, but that's how it works for me.

In the meantime, try different places to secure your non-bottle-reaching hand, if you're finding it a bit dicey. Ultimately, though, your handling skills and bottle-grabbing skills will get to the point where snagging a bottle just about anywhere is second-nature and seemingly completely safe!

2010-05-04 8:59 PM
in reply to: #2837292

User image

Champion

ANNE -

I said before that it arbitrary, choosing hat distance, but it's probably not that simple. I guess he has figured that's a good distance at which to push things, feel the burn, etc. But for you -- and even more so me -- those lengths of climb just aren't local. So we have to adjust, and that's either accepting 300m instead of 500m, or pushing it harder on the repeats, or increasing the number of repeats. In my really keen days, I increased the numbe rof repeats, simply because that was the easiest one to quantify. That is, 10 is moe than 8....but I couldn't figure out how to adjust my intensity to make the difference in intensity meaningful. (Of course, there's nothing that says that 10 is truly more meaningful than 8, either!)

Does that help? Maybe only marginally --- but it's how I cope with those dicrepencies between what's in a plan and what's in my "neighborhood"!

2010-05-04 9:04 PM
in reply to: #2837327

New user
SteveB,

I thought about the rear mounted cages and have put that off for a few reasons. A) cost. B) which one do I get? (Have to go with saddle mounted on the P2K, so do I get one that has 2 bottle cages and mounts for CO2 bottles and a 'shelf' for tubes or go with the Profile Design style which has only 2 cages? Decisions Decisions!!) c) stay down in aero to drink and d) train myself to drink every 15 minutes or so to stay hydrated.

As for frame mounted, the only lugs on the bike are on the seat tube. Not unless there is another on the underside of the downtube, but for sure none on the top of the downtube. So that means one bottle on the bike as is which would not be enough, therefore I am at aerobottle!

2010-05-04 9:18 PM
in reply to: #2837341

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-05-04 9:59 PM ANNE - I said before that it arbitrary, choosing hat distance, but it's probably not that simple. I guess he has figured that's a good distance at which to push things, feel the burn, etc. But for you -- and even more so me -- those lengths of climb just aren't local. So we have to adjust, and that's either accepting 300m instead of 500m, or pushing it harder on the repeats, or increasing the number of repeats. In my really keen days, I increased the numbe rof repeats, simply because that was the easiest one to quantify. That is, 10 is moe than 8....but I couldn't figure out how to adjust my intensity to make the difference in intensity meaningful. (Of course, there's nothing that says that 10 is truly more meaningful than 8, either!) Does that help? Maybe only marginally --- but it's how I cope with those dicrepencies between what's in a plan and what's in my "neighborhood"!

Thanks Steve,

Just heading off to bed now but I wanted to let you know that I spent an hour and a half with my physiotherapist today.   Put me through an hour of diagnostic testing and along with my detailed log of the last 8 weeks came up with Pes Anserine Bursitis.    I believe you have mentioned that in previous logs. 

Absolutely no arthritic or cartilage issues.    He said it makes sense that my osteo found my tibia internally rotated, and produced the books and diagrams to illustrate.   I have been complaining about those three tendons for sometime now and he found that they are being aggravated/overworked because I am not using my lleft obliques and sure enough when I really focussed on activating the left side, the strain on the right leg totally disappeared.  

There is still some swelling of the bursa that doesn't seem to respond to ice, so he is faxing my GP a request to write a prescription for some anti-inflammatory cream that he will use with ultrasound to get it down.   Also gave me a couple of exercises to do to isolate the obliques.  

Funny thing is I mentioned to Ken, not 2 days ago, that during yoga class in a couple of postures I am starting to see the '6 pack ripples on the right side but not the left side.   Really focussed on that in today's class and noticed immediate improvement.    Crazy!

No issues at all from today's bike ride.  But I am sure the 7 days of riding in Florida didn't help the situation.   So, here I am, optimistic again, even though I probably shouldn't run for another week.  

In the back of my mind I know that if I don't get my running legs before the first tri in June, I can always do the swim/bike.   Just found out they are offering an olympic distance.    Muskoka is also offering swim/bike, although I will be quite disappointed if I have to miss that.   Worst case is that I may have to wait until August/Sept to do a S/B/R.    

So much for my quick note.    Have a great night.
2010-05-04 9:38 PM
in reply to: #2837341

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

Okay. Here goes.

What I think you have done is suffered some degree of shoulder impingement. Hopefully, it is just minor, kind of a wake-up call that something in your mechanics has caused a tendon (the supraspinatus [sp?]) to get caught between the head of your humerus (upper arm bone) and the acromion (sp?) arch. (It might be useful to google a picture of shoulder structure, ads it is almost impossible to explain all of this stuff. )

Impingements hurt, and for me it works just as it does for you -- top of shoulder and down the arm maybe to the elbow. The worst spot on the arm for me is the deltoid, which is the muscle in which we receive inoculations; is this about where your arm is sorest?

When I said above that this is due to something in your mechanics, that is supporting what you felt was the causative movement -- bringing your arm in too close to your body in your trying to pass another swimmer without hooking arms. Here are the three things swimmers can do to INCREASE the risk of impingements:
(1) Bring their extended arm across the midline of their body (that is, your arm as it enters the water is enetring over at the other side of your midline).
(2) Position the entering hand so that the thumb and forefinger enter the water first. If you hold your arm (and do this with the arm that is NOT hurting right now!!!!) in front of you with the palm facing straight down.....and then pivot it inward almost 90 degrees so that the side of the thumb is closest to the floor.....and then pull your arm back slightly to mimic the bend in your arm as the hand enters the water......you should feel some pressure on your shoulder. Yes?
(3) Modify their recovery so that the arm is very close to the body as it is traveling forward.

So, as you describe it, i see #3 as the cause of your sore shoulder, and I can dig it because when I had my bad shoulder impingement about three years ago, that was clearly the cause. (I was trying to imitate the arm recovery of an olympian who I had seen on a video, and within about ten strokes I knew I had done something not good at all.)

The good news is that since then, I have hurt the shoulder several (5-8?) times, but each time it has been fine after a day or two of rest. It scares the dickens out of me, though, because....

The bad news is that first time it happened I didn't swim for a couple of months and had lots of physiotherapy for it!

HOWEVER, I suspect you've just suffered a minor pinching of that tendon between those two bones, and it will feel fine before too long --- so don't panic yet!! One test for severity, i think, is how high you can extend the affected arm. For my original one, putting on a buttonless top was a problem; I couldn't comfortably extend my arm above my head as I normally do when putting on a t-shirt or sweatshirt. At times, it worked best bending at the waist with my arms pointing straight ahead, rather than towards the ceiling (even though the extension seems the same, bending at the waist, I guess, puts the upper back in a different type of flexed position that better accommodates the arm's extension).

When you return to the pool, avoid drills such as the "zipper", as that requires that the arm stays very close to the body (#3 above). And even though it seems that all great swimmers have their hands angled so that thumb and forefinger enter the water first (#2 above), that's a movement that works for them but doesn't help us and our sore shoulders. And if you think about #1, in order to get the hand to cross over the midline of our body, it has to assume the angled position of #2; the further you reach across your body, the more the arm has to pivot down and in -- a movement that some shoulders (that would be ours!) respond poorly to!

Your mechanics, then, should have you with a relatively wide recovery, and with your enetring hand being flat. These two movements, combined, will mean that your shoulder will not be carried so high, shich is contrary to T.I. beliefs....but really, a high elbow is kind of a relative thing, anyhow. You can still have a moderately high elbow, even if your recovery is wide and your hand is not angled as it enters the water.

As I said before, keep the ice on the soire dspots -- deltoid and top of shoulder. Use anti-inflams so that the swelling that is likely in that tendon goes down. And again -- I have had the one bad impingement, but many lesser ones that worry me, but that are cleared up within a day or two. i sure hope that's how yours responds!! (And let me know if putting on a jersey-type top is a problem for you.)

I hope some of this helps with your understanding, and ask about anything that doesn't make sense!

2010-05-04 10:27 PM
in reply to: #2830273

User image

lufferly - 2010-05-01 10:22 AM First tri of the season, over and done with!  Thanks for all the well wishes, and STEVE B for the splash down!!  Unofficial time of 1:52:58 (which I think will be pretty accurate).  Temp 79 degrees at start of race.  Had problems controlling my breathing on the swim (water temp 76 degreesSmile) ... can't wait to practice some OWS in Arkansas next month; bike felt great; and run was OK; transitions were OK.  Temp 85 degrees on the way home.  Really nice race and definitely plan on keeping it on as one of my regulars.

Hope DENISE and DWAYNE have/had great races!  And can't wait for the next update on STEVE A ... I tried to figure out how to track him last night but couldn't figure it out, so keep the updates coming.  Thought of all you during my race ... DENISE's nice pool swim while I was in the lake hyperventilating, STEVE A's red hills bike ride as I was biking in the woods, and DWAYNE's firey run (wasn't there something about fire in the Warrior Race) while I was sweating the run!

Keep up the good work everyone!!  Now off to do some chores at my mother's house.

Lisa

Congrats Lisa!  Sounds like you had some fair weather, and a great race! 
2010-05-05 4:12 AM
in reply to: #2837292

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
smarx - 2010-05-04 9:34 PM

STEVEB, ANNE, Others who want to chime in...(SteveA how could I forget about you....I'm not worthy!!, enjoy your rest!)

To ask another question...I'm getting ready to put in an order from Tri Zone and am curious about if there are some other small things maybe I'm missing that would make my life (or my tri life) a bit easier or more enjoyable...

So far I'm planning on getting:
  • Aero drink bottle
  • tubes
  • CO2 chuck
  • run visor
  • HEED (maybe change to Accelerade)
I already have speed laces and a race belt...What other things would they have that I should look at?

Shaun:

Maybe you already have one, but I would suggest a fuel box that you can velcro to one of your bars. I use mine to hold my cell phone and house key. During longer races you can put your bars or gels in it.

2010-05-05 4:20 AM
in reply to: #2837405

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-05-04 10:38 PM

TRACEY -

Okay. Here goes.

What I think you have done is suffered some degree of shoulder impingement. Hopefully, it is just minor, kind of a wake-up call that something in your mechanics has caused a tendon (the supraspinatus [sp?]) to get caught between the head of your humerus (upper arm bone) and the acromion (sp?) arch. (It might be useful to google a picture of shoulder structure, ads it is almost impossible to explain all of this stuff. )

Impingements hurt, and for me it works just as it does for you -- top of shoulder and down the arm maybe to the elbow. The worst spot on the arm for me is the deltoid, which is the muscle in which we receive inoculations; is this about where your arm is sorest?

When I said above that this is due to something in your mechanics, that is supporting what you felt was the causative movement -- bringing your arm in too close to your body in your trying to pass another swimmer without hooking arms. Here are the three things swimmers can do to INCREASE the risk of impingements:
(1) Bring their extended arm across the midline of their body (that is, your arm as it enters the water is enetring over at the other side of your midline).
(2) Position the entering hand so that the thumb and forefinger enter the water first. If you hold your arm (and do this with the arm that is NOT hurting right now!!!!) in front of you with the palm facing straight down.....and then pivot it inward almost 90 degrees so that the side of the thumb is closest to the floor.....and then pull your arm back slightly to mimic the bend in your arm as the hand enters the water......you should feel some pressure on your shoulder. Yes?
(3) Modify their recovery so that the arm is very close to the body as it is traveling forward.

So, as you describe it, i see #3 as the cause of your sore shoulder, and I can dig it because when I had my bad shoulder impingement about three years ago, that was clearly the cause. (I was trying to imitate the arm recovery of an olympian who I had seen on a video, and within about ten strokes I knew I had done something not good at all.)

The good news is that since then, I have hurt the shoulder several (5-8?) times, but each time it has been fine after a day or two of rest. It scares the dickens out of me, though, because....

The bad news is that first time it happened I didn't swim for a couple of months and had lots of physiotherapy for it!

HOWEVER, I suspect you've just suffered a minor pinching of that tendon between those two bones, and it will feel fine before too long --- so don't panic yet!! One test for severity, i think, is how high you can extend the affected arm. For my original one, putting on a buttonless top was a problem; I couldn't comfortably extend my arm above my head as I normally do when putting on a t-shirt or sweatshirt. At times, it worked best bending at the waist with my arms pointing straight ahead, rather than towards the ceiling (even though the extension seems the same, bending at the waist, I guess, puts the upper back in a different type of flexed position that better accommodates the arm's extension).

When you return to the pool, avoid drills such as the "zipper", as that requires that the arm stays very close to the body (#3 above). And even though it seems that all great swimmers have their hands angled so that thumb and forefinger enter the water first (#2 above), that's a movement that works for them but doesn't help us and our sore shoulders. And if you think about #1, in order to get the hand to cross over the midline of our body, it has to assume the angled position of #2; the further you reach across your body, the more the arm has to pivot down and in -- a movement that some shoulders (that would be ours!) respond poorly to!

Your mechanics, then, should have you with a relatively wide recovery, and with your enetring hand being flat. These two movements, combined, will mean that your shoulder will not be carried so high, shich is contrary to T.I. beliefs....but really, a high elbow is kind of a relative thing, anyhow. You can still have a moderately high elbow, even if your recovery is wide and your hand is not angled as it enters the water.

As I said before, keep the ice on the soire dspots -- deltoid and top of shoulder. Use anti-inflams so that the swelling that is likely in that tendon goes down. And again -- I have had the one bad impingement, but many lesser ones that worry me, but that are cleared up within a day or two. i sure hope that's how yours responds!! (And let me know if putting on a jersey-type top is a problem for you.)

I hope some of this helps with your understanding, and ask about anything that doesn't make sense!

Thanks SteveB!

I took a couple of Motrin yesterday, and the shoulder is about 90% better this morning. I have no swim scheduled for today so hopefully by tomorrow it'll be good as new (or almost!)

The pain you describe it exactly how I felt it (mostly in the deltoid).

Another reason this may have happened is that I kind of lost the focus of keeping my arms relaxed. I did feel them getting a bit tired after a while so I'm sure my form was suffering. Granted, I've increased my stroke rate recently but I've found that if I concentrate on really relaxing the arms, I can maintain a higher stroke rate without fatiguing them too much.

By the way, the wetsuit arrives by FedEx today! Yippie! Warm weather here too. Time to get over to Shell Point at Onset Beach and practice that swim!

2010-05-05 7:19 AM
in reply to: #2837636

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

Ahhh! Very good on the shoulder being better. Hopefully, that is a crisis successfully averted.

If it was a hint of impingement, I don't think fatigue is a factor. I think it really has to be a mechanical issue that forces that tendon to get jammed between the humerus and the acromion arch. And that'll most likely come as a result of those three "flaws" I mentioned last night.

Do you ever go tho the gym to ift, or do it at home. If so, another thing that can impinge a shoulder is are lifts -- especially lateral ones. If you do those (and they are a staple lift for me), do them in front of a mirror and make sure that your arms don't rise above your shoulders. It's not quite so bad with front arm raises, but still best if you keep the maximum height of each rep below the level of your shoulders.

If you do lift, I can tell you some other exercises to approach very carefully.

Fatigue can lead to shoulder and arm soreness, but that is more of a nagging, dull feeling, at least for me. But what you say about being relaxed is true, and if you can maintain that it will help you a lot.

Cool beans on the wetsuit arriving!! I hope it is a good fit, and just remember that getting it on will not be easy initially, and that constriction is part of the deal. You don't want it so you cannot breathe, but tightness is desirable. And when you actually first swim in it, don't forget to BodyGlide your neck, as there are few things more painful than neck-chafing. (Pus, it's unsightly, those wetsuit hickeys! ) And the biggie -- no Vaseline or other petroleum-based product. Keep it to BodyGlide or Pam!

2010-05-05 7:20 AM
in reply to: #2837634

User image

Champion

SHAUN -

I second what Tracey says -- a Bento box is a great thingie! (And not very $$, either.)

2010-05-05 7:28 AM
in reply to: #2837367

User image

Champion

ANNE -

From my perspective, you pulled the long straw with pes anserinus as opposed to arthritic tendencies or cartilage damage. I think I said this before, but the few times I have had some pes ans problems I could run through them. They are more of a nuisance than a deal-breaker, at least for me. I guess i have respected it enough to take a day or two off, but within that time it usually resolves itself. But that's me, and as you know the same injury can affect different people differently. Hopefully, for you, it will improve quickly!

I still think Muskoka is too far away to get too worried about that right now....but having contingency plans is never a bad idea. I know Muskoka means a lot to you, however, so I sure hope you can be repaired and ready for 15km on July 25! So, maybe, taking a few extra days off now will pay dividends further along when Muskoka gets closer!

2010-05-05 7:39 AM
in reply to: #2837792

User image

Champion

ANNE again -

Is it the second day of Woodstock you're thinking about? I think it's the sprint of Saturday and the modified Olympic on Sunday, with something like 1000m-34km-8km?

Or has Milton been expanded to also have an oly now?

If it is in fact an 8km run at Woodstock, that would be a good test for the leg. And what is Milton normally -- 7.5km?

I'm anxious to see John Salt's new newsltter, as he is adding some perqs to the Triple Challenge. If he adds enough he might get me there! But really, right now too many of his weekends have conflicts for me, and it seems that I am still leaning towards those USAT races. (By the way, i did manage to attain Honorable Mention status.....but now the drive is to go for straight All-American. Addicted, or what?? )

2010-05-05 7:47 AM
in reply to: #2837816

User image

Champion

KASIA -

Please tell me you weren't fixing to clean your bike today, ads I have to leave soon and don't have the time to go through it all; hopefully this evening, however.

If it's not sludgy, that's of course good. But black is not as good as clear, much as it would be with the oil in your car. It just means dirty, and won't help performance and will ultimately do some damage to your components down there. Over the years I have actually gotten better at cleaning my bike, or at least more regular with it. It's one area in which I haven't become more slack!

If you are planning on a cleaning soon, in the meantime get a good degreaser, and one that has a skinny straw that fits in a hole in the spray nozzle and that can direct a narrow flow of the solvent. Another thing to get is a good stiff brush. I use a big clunker that's made by Pedro's, which is a big name in bicycle mechanics equipment. My brush has lots of bristles at the side on one end, and at the other end a small cluster of hard, stiffer bristles.

Details later!

2010-05-05 8:22 AM
in reply to: #2837775

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-05-05 8:19 AM

Do you ever go tho the gym to ift, or do it at home. If so, another thing that can impinge a shoulder is are lifts -- especially lateral ones. If you do those (and they are a staple lift for me), do them in front of a mirror and make sure that your arms don't rise above your shoulders. It's not quite so bad with front arm raises, but still best if you keep the maximum height of each rep below the level of your shoulders.

If you do lift, I can tell you some other exercises to approach very carefully.

SteveB:

I do lots of shoulder work. Lateral raises, front raises, arnold presses, shoulder presses, upright rows, etc. I do almost any moves that you can do with dumbbells or barbells (I do weight workouts at home and don't have any machines). I do have to say that I get a lot of clicking when I do shoulder work. So any form advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Tracey

2010-05-05 10:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

SteveA,
Congrats on your finalized USAT HM - and plenty of room to spare.
Denise

ps - I skimmed the rankings - saw some guys in their late eightys (eighties?) - wow
2010-05-05 10:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Mandy,

Have a great race this weekend.  Will it drive you crazy to have to swim in a pool?

Denise
2010-05-05 12:06 PM
in reply to: #2838401

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
LadyNorth - 2010-05-05 11:30 AM
Mandy,

Have a great race this weekend.  Will it drive you crazy to have to swim in a pool?

Denise

Thanks Denise!  I am excited - the swim is the biggest question mark for me because I haven't gotten to the pool much this winter.  It will be fun though.

Yeah, the pool thing drives me nuts - I have the worlds shortest attention span, so I get bored, see something shiny, play with my goggles...lose count of laps looking at that mind numbing line....I love OWS though, I like to squint and look at a spot and say, "I am going there!" and go.  It is coming soon though!  I know that the pool is the only option this time of year, the water here is holding steady at 45. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276