BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Express Mentor Group - closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2008-05-28 7:17 PM
in reply to: #1116072

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Subject: RE: Manatee Express Mentor Group - closed

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!  Just got back from my first outside bike ride in a month.    And yes, I am following doctor's orders.   I am absolutely cleared to do my "thing".  In fact, the only thing I'm not supposed to do is play football for the next month -- darn the luck!  I intended to play in the Super Bowl next week (oh wait, it's not February is it?). 

So I'm very, very happy!!!!  And I had to tell someone because hubby is in Buenos Aires tonight.

2008-05-29 1:25 PM
in reply to: #1429769

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

NICE!!  That is awesome Sledge!!  Now - the Superbowl is a way's off but you can make it !! LOL   Good to hear your back in the saddle again!! Nothing compares to the open road...I was on the trainer at the YMCA today and man...that sucked!  I would have much rather been outside on my bike....my wonderful, black stallion!!  hehe...we are getting much better aquainted now and I feel more comfortable on it everytime I ride it.  I finally put on the clipless pedals!! WHOA - what a difference in my riding now - never go back to the cages now....keep on keepin on!!!

2008-06-01 6:19 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Weekly Recap

1 swim 600 yds, bike 3, 53 miles, run 3, 10.7

Fun race Saturday. About a minute better than last year but not at the top of my game. I have raced 7 of the last 9 weekends and probably need to take a little time off from the racing Oh well, local 5k next week I can't skip that. I think we are scrapping Woolmarket 3 and doing another local 5k instead. Need to pick out some summer/fall races.

2008-06-02 11:13 AM
in reply to: #1436836

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Weekly recap

A balanced week, for a change!  I got 3 swims, 4 bikes, and 3 runs in.  And that's my plan for the near future too -- try to strike a balance in my training.  And also some good news -- I don't have to go see my orthopaedic surgeon any more and I won my AG in the race on Monday.

2008-06-02 1:18 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Way to go Cheri!!
2008-06-03 4:34 PM
in reply to: #1436836

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

My recap goes such as it is - I ran, I swam , and I biked - LOL - and I turned 37 yesterday!!  Yeah 4 me!!  I finally seem to be over my calf issue - I have had 2 good runs this past week and today and no issues out of it !!!  Whoopie!!  My 2nd Masters started this week  -I skipped it today due to wifey had some errands to run and I needed to watch our son while she ran about...so..at least I got a run in today.  Tomorrow - plan on gettin some bikin in early - if possible..it's getting sticky hot here already and it just turned June...jeez...this summer is lookin like a real cooker!!  But  - 1 week to go before taper week and then race weekend!! 

2008-06-03 6:11 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Can you guys give me some advice about using my new aero bars?  I never had them before, but while I was out of commission I had them added to my bike.  I have to tell you that they are very intimidating!  I definitely don't feel in control, and getting in and out of them is challenging.

So, when is the best time to use them, do you use them all of the time, will I get used to them (eventually?), do I need to pedal any differently, and am I even asking the right questions?

And no, I haven't fallen yet!

2008-06-05 7:26 PM

New user
Chicago, Illinois
Hi, all. Back again, for real this time, I hope. I've continued to train despite my Internet silence, although I only recently started recording it in my log again. Anyway, hope you all are well.

I've been focusing pretty hard on the run and am feeling good about it. I can run six miles without stopping at an 11 minute pace. I'm sure that in the excitement of the actual race I'll be faster, but I was wondering how to train for more speed. Or maybe I'm getting ahead of myself--maybe I should just be focusing on LSD runs. What distance should I shoot for in training to be prepared for six miles in a race?

I see Rusty has a race coming up soon. Good luck!

Best!

--Natalie
2008-06-05 9:27 PM
in reply to: #1442895

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Sledge - 2008-06-03 6:11 PM

Can you guys give me some advice about using my new aero bars?  I never had them before, but while I was out of commission I had them added to my bike.  I have to tell you that they are very intimidating!  I definitely don't feel in control, and getting in and out of them is challenging.

So, when is the best time to use them, do you use them all of the time, will I get used to them (eventually?), do I need to pedal any differently, and am I even asking the right questions?

And no, I haven't fallen yet!

Cool on the aero bars. It would be good to get your bike shop to look at your fit to make sure they are set properly. As far as when to ride them, my general answer is whenever you can but I have a couple of caveats. While your getting used to them, ride them in low traffic areas with a minimum of crossings. Its also nice if you can avoid areas with curbs for a while. You will get compfortable on them quick but remember when your stretched out there, you have no brakes so you cant stop. The other time not to ride them is when your riding close behind someone. Why, you have no breaks, if they stop or slow down, you run into there wheel and crash. When we do our group rides, you only ride the bars if your in the front or off the back.

Other consideratios, its tough to climb in the bars, but if you can do it you look like a bad italian biker. It can also be difficult on a course or road with alot of turns. Practice this at lower speeds to improve at it.

Some folks have problems with flexibility issues have a hard time getting used to them but once you get used to them its amazing the increase of speed on a nice flat course. I think it has something to do with one of newtons laws but your the engineer! Within a month, expect 1mph on a flat course.
2008-06-05 9:38 PM
in reply to: #1448511

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
nevans71 - 2008-06-05 7:26 PM

Hi, all. Back again, for real this time, I hope. I've continued to train despite my Internet silence, although I only recently started recording it in my log again. Anyway, hope you all are well.

I've been focusing pretty hard on the run and am feeling good about it. I can run six miles without stopping at an 11 minute pace. I'm sure that in the excitement of the actual race I'll be faster, but I was wondering how to train for more speed. Or maybe I'm getting ahead of myself--maybe I should just be focusing on LSD runs. What distance should I shoot for in training to be prepared for six miles in a race?

I see Rusty has a race coming up soon. Good luck!

Best!

--Natalie
[/QUOTE

Glad to see you back! If you have 3 to 4 weeks of 3 to 4 runs a week in its fine to add a little speed work. I would say one day a week on one of your 3 to 4 mile runs. Lots of different options and Cheri can probably elaborate better than I but here are a couple.

Pick ups - After warming up, say 1 mile, do 30 second accelerations building speed throughout the acceleration with rest intervals of 30 to 45 seconds. Don't stop, after each one just return pace to where it was. Start with 2 or 3 and build up 4 or 5.

Intervals - These are hard. Again after warm up, run hard for a set distance. I generally start with quarter mile sprints and after a couple weeks go up to half miles. I haven't got up to half miles this year. Again rest intervals equal to or up to double the time of the sprint. Its okay to walk between. Again, start with no more than 3 of these and build up over time.

Tempo Run - After warm up, run at or slightly below your goal race pace for 50% or more of your run.

Football sprints - After warm up, run on grass for short intervals. Not as hard on the body as asphault. I like to do these on little league or high school football fields as the surface is consistent as opposed to a city park which may have hills or such.

These definitions aren't precise and others may call them different names but I think they work fine. Your trying to get your body to learn to adapt to pushing harder. Also, always do a cool down after speed work. Good luck. Don't press this too fast.

On the LSD question, if you can do six on your LSD you can do it in the race. It will make you feel more confident if you go ahead and push it to 7 miles!

2008-06-08 7:49 PM

New user
Chicago, Illinois
Hi, gang. I hope you all had a great weekend. Let me be the first to post my weekly recap.

It was a good week, although I've been off my bike for awhile, including commuting, due to circumstances beyond my control. It's finally summer here in the Midwest. We skipped spring altogether, naturally.

Swim: 2500 yards total over two days. One of these was a swim in frigid Lake Michigan. Hoping to do at least one lake workout per week now that it's warm.

Bike: sadly, none to speak of. But I should be back in the saddle this week.

Run: 15.05 miles over four days. Recently discovered Gmaps Pedometer to keep track of mileage. I also think I've finally hit the point where I actually enjoy running a little bit--it was a long time coming.

I'm looking forward to this week's workouts.

--Natalie

2008-06-08 8:18 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Kind of a lame week but work has been busy. I will improve this week.

2 bikes 42 miles, 3 runs 10.5 miles. Raced 5k on saturday and was not where I thought I would be. I will lay some blame on my prerace night out but some of it was due to cutback in training. I have another 5k on the 28th. Its where I set my PR the last 2 years so I need to gear up for that. I was close to the PR time in my April biathlon so I know I can get there. I will push it up to break 26 in that race.
2008-06-09 11:44 AM
in reply to: #1452905

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Weekly recap

I'm trying for more of a balance in my workouts, although it feels funny not to be putting the run miles in.  Finding time for everything is an issue.  But I got a "somewhat" balanced number of workouts in, even if they weren't balanced in intensity or effort.

Swim -- three 30 minute sessions (I'm still feeling my way here -- the shoulder is a little sore)

Bike -- two 17 mile rides, with one 8.5 mile leg focused like I was doing the bike leg in my upcoming race

Run -- very unsatisfying four runs for a measly total of 12.68 miles.  The only bright spot was a run I did immediately after a swim, where I definitely had some speed going.

Core -- I've started a little core work, just three short sessions.  I do want to start building on this though.

2008-06-13 4:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
RACE WEEKEND FOR ME!!!  WOOT  I am racin on Sunday...so get yer coffee or beer ready for another fun filled and exciting RR once I am done....this will be my 1st OWS - other then that - I am in good shape for the remainder of the race - I have already ridden the bike course 2 times now so I know the challenges there - the run - well - I have not run it but I feel like I will do well there now that my calf is better.... so....hope you all have a fab weekend!!  I'm RACIN!!!!   Yippie!!   My goal is to finish this one up in under 2 hrs - even though the bike course is about 4 miles longer then my last tri -  I have been ridin it in about an hr - and just under - so - I hope I can either gain my time on the bike or the run....I have a feelin I will end up kickin the after burners in on the last mile of the run - I will make a good pace on the bike but keep it under control so I do not burn out my reserves for the run....I figure I will ride about 17 - 18 mph - and try and kick it really hard when I can on the flats and make up some time for the hills- only a couple really...but...they will slow me down a lil bit...I am feelin good about this...and of course..I am gonna have fun on my new bike !!! It's gonna be so much better then riding the old work horse I rode in March!!!
2008-06-13 4:58 PM
in reply to: #1465928

New user
Chicago, Illinois
papahawk - 2008-06-13 4:43 PM

RACE WEEKEND FOR ME!!!  WOOT  I am racin on Sunday...so get yer coffee or beer ready for another fun filled and exciting RR once I am done....this will be my 1st OWS - other then that - I am in good shape for the remainder of the race - I have already ridden the bike course 2 times now so I know the challenges there - the run - well - I have not run it but I feel like I will do well there now that my calf is better.... so....hope you all have a fab weekend!!  I'm RACIN!!!!   Yippie!!   My goal is to finish this one up in under 2 hrs - even though the bike course is about 4 miles longer then my last tri -  I have been ridin it in about an hr - and just under - so - I hope I can either gain my time on the bike or the run....I have a feelin I will end up kickin the after burners in on the last mile of the run - I will make a good pace on the bike but keep it under control so I do not burn out my reserves for the run....I figure I will ride about 17 - 18 mph - and try and kick it really hard when I can on the flats and make up some time for the hills- only a couple really...but...they will slow me down a lil bit...I am feelin good about this...and of course..I am gonna have fun on my new bike !!! It's gonna be so much better then riding the old work horse I rode in March!!!

Best wishes on your race. Your enthusiam is contagious! Makes me wish I were out biking instead of going to a semi-formal dinner dance thingie tonight.

I plan to do a long ride, long run, and my second lake swim of the season this weekend, and then next weekend I will be competing in the Subaru Women's Triathlon in Naperville, Illinois. The swim is in a lake (not The Lake), but I don't know how cold it is. I need to scope it out so I know whether to bring my wetsuit. I figure it's good practice for transition to wear the wetsuit.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

--Natalie
2008-06-15 8:23 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Congrats to Rusty on another successful race.

Weekly recap:

1 swim 2000 yards, 3 bikes 117 miles, 3 runs 11.8 miles.

Did a 62 mile charity ride saturday at around 19mph which I was pretty thrilled with. It was my most challenging ride this year as far as effort. Also had good runs with some decent speedwork thrown in. Swim still being neglected.

I am trying to focus on my upcoming 5k so I will try to get an extra run in this week.

Looking at fall races trying to figure out what to do the rest of the year.

2008-06-16 5:28 AM
in reply to: #1467975

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Weekly recap:

I had a mostly balanced week -- 2 swims, 5 runs, and 3 bikes.  I was supposed to do an OWS yesterday which would have given me 3 swims, but we had some heavy rain the day before and the bacteria count goes high after a rain like that.  So we were advised not to go in.  I'm going to try to get out there some time this week.

My runs were good -- I had three that were the same distance, and my mile splits and HR were nearly identical -- and I finished all three of the runs within 3 seconds of each!  I also did a quick sprint after a swim and  longish 7.29 miler yesterday.

I had a couple of "breakthroughs" on my bike -- feeling comfortable with my aero bars and working the gears for a little more power.

All in all I feel ready for the race on Saturday.  My swim is lacking, but the distance is so short (200 yards) that I'm not going to sweat it.  This will be my first tri since October, so the nerves are already starting to kick in!

2008-06-16 9:04 AM

New user
Chicago, Illinois
WEEKLY RECAP: Full training week, with two swims, three rides, and three runs in mostly beautiful weather. I think this was the first week in history where something preventing me from completing my planned workouts didn't come up. Hooray!

Swim: 3500 yards
-one long pool swim, one short lake swim

Bike: 52.31 miles
-two short rides and one longer one

Run: 11.31 miles
-two short runs, one longish one

Sunday is my sprint triathlon. Today is a rest day, and Saturday will be a rest day. Hoping to practice some transitions this week. I've never started with my feet on top of my shoes--I'll practice that in the grass first. One of my buddies started that way last year and fell off his bike. I'm a little nervous about the run because I still haven't done any bricks this year.

Also, wondering what you all think about the wetsuit. Centennial Beach historically has been about 75 degrees, so I don't need a wetsuit, and I think most folks don't wear wetsuits for this particular race. However, I will be wearing one during the Accenture Chicago Tri in August, as Lake Michigan never gets warm enough to swim without neoprene, and I thought perhaps it would be good practice in terms of the transitions. Thoughts?
2008-06-16 11:02 AM
in reply to: #1468589

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

NICE work there Nevans!!  Your training is lookin good !!!  I had a blast at my race this weekend - I will be updating the RR soon..prob tomorrow evening..I am heading to a concert tonight after work with GyGy - THE CURE!!  LOL...for those that grew up in the 80's....you know how big this band was...so it should be fun..I hope they play some of their "old stuff" ..for us old folks!!  LOL  ANyway - glad to see everyone is busy and workin out - Sledge - your gonna do just fine in your race - same with Natalie.......Ken...I am in the same boat as you as far as races - I am lookin at the reamainder of the summer and year to see what I want to compete in to keep the ole race spirit going.  I do see some super sprints I would like to race in...they are not as long as the sprints I have raced but they would be fun just to keep doing for heck of it...I am not sure I have any more sprints I can sqeeze into this season....there is an Olympic I could try in the Fall...just not sure I wanna do it just yet.  But - I see some 5k's and some super sprints I am sure I will do during the summer and into early Fall...then next year...Olympic Tri and then HIM is a sure possibility.....as for now...I will continue the Masters swim classes - work on some more OWS - there are some coming up I will attend - just to get more time in the water outside of classes - and of course - get some more distance on the bike and start chippen away on my runs - I see a sub 30 min 5k in my very near future......have a great week all!!!  RR should be up tomorrow evenin!! 

Cheers!!  PAPA

2008-06-16 1:53 PM
in reply to: #1468589

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
nevans71 - 2008-06-16 9:04 AM

Sunday is my sprint triathlon. Today is a rest day, and Saturday will be a rest day. Hoping to practice some transitions this week. I've never started with my feet on top of my shoes--I'll practice that in the grass first. One of my buddies started that way last year and fell off his bike. I'm a little nervous about the run because I still haven't done any bricks this year.

Also, wondering what you all think about the wetsuit. Centennial Beach historically has been about 75 degrees, so I don't need a wetsuit, and I think most folks don't wear wetsuits for this particular race. However, I will be wearing one during the Accenture Chicago Tri in August, as Lake Michigan never gets warm enough to swim without neoprene, and I thought perhaps it would be good practice in terms of the transitions. Thoughts?

Natalie,

Couple things, dont do the feet on top of shoes first time out. Time savings minimal, enjoy your race. I take my feet out of my shoes as I am finishing the bike but as far as starting with the shoes attached to the pedal, I don't think you save any time.

On the wetsuit, if its wetsuit legal then use it. Like you said, its good practice.

I do recommend you practice your transitions before the race. Lay it out and run through it a few times and you will be better prepared for your race.

Edited by Manatee Express 2008-06-16 1:57 PM
2008-06-16 3:48 PM
in reply to: #1469508

New user
Chicago, Illinois
Manatee Express - 2008-06-16 1:53 PM

Natalie,

Couple things, dont do the feet on top of shoes first time out. Time savings minimal, enjoy your race. I take my feet out of my shoes as I am finishing the bike but as far as starting with the shoes attached to the pedal, I don't think you save any time.

On the wetsuit, if its wetsuit legal then use it. Like you said, its good practice.

I do recommend you practice your transitions before the race. Lay it out and run through it a few times and you will be better prepared for your race.

Thanks for the advice! That saves me getting the insoles of my shoes dirty from running in my bare or sock feet, but now I'm going to scratch up the beautiful carbon soles. Sigh. It had to be done sooner or later.

I'm stopping by Fleet Feet tonight to get my race belt, and then I plan to get my gear checklist together and start laying out my stuff tonight. This will be way more fun than studying!

--Nat

2008-06-17 9:23 AM

New user
Chicago, Illinois
Am I crazy?

I'm thinking about doing the Great Illini Endure half Ironman Sept. 6. Is that too ambitious? It's only 11 or so weeks away.

--Natalie
2008-06-18 11:27 AM
in reply to: #1471260

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
nevans71 - 2008-06-17 9:23 AM

Am I crazy?

I'm thinking about doing the Great Illini Endure half Ironman Sept. 6. Is that too ambitious? It's only 11 or so weeks away.

--Natalie

Natalie,

I refuse to be a dream crusher. You probably could do a half ironman with 11 wks training.

That said, I would advise against you doing a half ironman in 11 wks. My reasons are below and if I am wrong on any of them please forgive me.

o Your just getting started at this and don't have any triathlon experence. The half ironman is a long day and so many things can go wrong. Having a big handful of races under your belt before attempting this distance will make you better prepared.

o Training - You have really kicked up your training in the last month but to get to half ironman, you need to ramp up even more. 8 to 10 hours every week.

o Running - I think your bike and swim background are strong but you are just getting the run thing going. The run is where you suffer in a race of this distance. You haven't done a 13 mile run and in this race you get to do it after a 1.2 mile swim and 56 mile bike. I you were a strong runner, my advice might be different.

Feel free to ignor my advice and I will be happy to help you go for it if you like. Where is your long run right now?

Ken
2008-06-18 11:37 AM
in reply to: #1474196

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

OK folks - the moment you've all been waitin for ...RUSTY'S latest race report is now up for your reading pleasure!!    Lemme know what ya think!!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=119833

PAPA

Edited by papahawk 2008-06-18 11:38 AM
2008-06-18 11:46 AM
in reply to: #1474227

New user
Chicago, Illinois
papahawk - 2008-06-18 11:37 AM

OK folks - the moment you've all been waitin for ...RUSTY'S latest race report is now up for your reading pleasure!!    Lemme know what ya think!!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=119833

PAPA

Great race, Rusty. Your bike portion sounded awesome. Way to go! Very inspiring. My heart started picking up speed while I read and contemplated my own race this weekend.

Don't worry about your swim. Open water is definitely scary, even in practice (at least, that's what I've learned from my very modest experience with it), but the more exposure you have with it, the better you will feel. The important thing is that you shook off your crappy swim and had a kick-a$$ ride.

--Natalie
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Express Mentor Group - closed Rss Feed  

of 18