Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2009-05-15 5:17 AM
in reply to: #1861022

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Subject: RE: FancyPants Group- CLOSED
Hoping for a bike ride this afternoon while the toddler naps- unfortunately I was awake at 4am hungry for breakfast, so that may mean a nap is necessary instead of a bike ride. My only exercise yesterday was mowing the lawn. The garage sale has interrupted my swim plans for this week. NOT HAPPY.

Garage sale- yuck. Why did I do this? I know, so I could clean out the spare bedroom and get some money in a little fund to buy bedroom furniture for the toddler and move her out of the crib.

Saturday (tomorrow) was supposed to be my first 5k of this season, a run at the zoo that I did last year called the Dart Frog Dash. And we are officially off to Michigan next weekend to ride the course. I am planning on taking my bike and sneaking in a ride very early in the morning. Hey, seriously- I'm dying here. Mike and I are going to go for a very early morning ride together, when the roads are clear, and we will stick to the back roads so I don't get spooked or fall. I want to fit in a few rides on my bike before my belly shifts my center of gravity, at which point I will stick to the pool or brisk walking... Then, as of next weekend, he will be tapering for his first HIM! I'm getting excited for that. His first race- and our first Team event, and what would have been my first tri for the season, is May 31st in Waynesville, OH.

I'm so proud of our first grader....she loves to draw pictures for people, so she made one for each of her teachers. For her gym teacher? A swim, bike, run picture. Then she gave it to him and said Hey, Have you ever done a triathlon? My mommy and daddy do them and I am going to do one when I am bigger!

Off to do more garage sale crud. Wish me luck on that ride on the trainers later.

2009-05-15 5:46 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Ann, what course are you talking about in Michigan?  You sort of lost me.  Is there an upcoming tri in my neck of the woods? 

2009-05-15 6:19 AM
in reply to: #2152291

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
AKR18 - 2009-05-15 5:17 AM OH. I'm so proud of our first grader....she loves to draw pictures for people, so she made one for each of her teachers. For her gym teacher? A swim, bike, run picture. Then she gave it to him and said Hey, Have you ever done a triathlon? My mommy and daddy do them and I am going to do one when I am bigger!

You must feel like a million bucks!  That's a great kid that's going in the right direction!

Matt

PS.  First race is Sunday.  Nerves are definitely kicking in.  I spent a hour last night pouring over my checklist, and at 5 am this morning, remembered that I need to put a flashlight on that list! 
2009-05-15 12:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Matt, you'll be fine. I'm hoping you got a wetsuit for your first race, or is the water warm? Mike just ordered his; first race for him is May 31st.

Jo, Mike and I did a race, weekend after Labor Day, up in Tawas, MI last year. My fam has a cabin up there, right near Huron National Forest. I should have a race report- I did sprint, he did Oly. Anyway, we were both signed up for that race again, but now just Mike is doing it, and he's doing the HIM. The bike is on Monument and River road, along the Au Sable river. I told him he as to ride the HIM course because there is a killer hill, more like a mini mountain.
2009-05-15 1:03 PM
in reply to: #2153258

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
Good luck on Saturday Matt.  I'm sure you'll do great.

Very cool about your first grader telling her gym teach about triathlons, Anne

Edited by scubagrrl 2009-05-15 1:04 PM
2009-05-15 3:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Yep.  I bought a neosport full sleeve.  I sold some old bike parts on ebay, so it was basically free!  I'll let you all know how it goes....

Matt

Edited by scout21 2009-05-15 3:43 PM

2009-05-15 10:31 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Ann, you and Mike are awesome role models for you kids.  What great lessons she has learned!  I thought you meant Tawas but I wasn't sure.  It is so far off.  I was hoping you'd be a little closer.  All the Michigan BT'ers are doing a "lets make our own triathlon" and have mapped out a sprint/oly course at Island Lake in Brighton.  There is a huge pot luck later at Coop's house.  Its too bad you'll be much more north.  Mike could've come out and played with the Michigan peeps and the kids would've had a lot of company.  There will be many spouses and kids, and even some other pregnant triathletes out there (helping, not doing, well maybe riding). 

Matt-Good Luck!  My thoughts are with you.  Please post a race report.  Stay warm!

2009-05-17 6:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
We drove up to Bikesport in Dearborn, MI yesterday afternoon to get a wetsuit for Mike- we considered ordering online but he wanted to be able to try one on. Glad he did- the fit was so different for each brand, as was the sizing. Then we hopped over to a restaurant for chili dogs, which SOUNDED amazing to my pregnant stomach, but then later I regretted it. Still getting sad over not racing this year- it was hard, because I should be doing this first sprint race he is prepping for. Oh well. Not that I could do a race right now anyway.....I think I am going to sit down and make actual "plans" for the week and stick it in my goal so I make myself do something. Otherwise the week gets away from me and I end up feeling badly that I didn't exercise (and took too many naps).

Hope everyone had a great training weekend- Matt, the sun is out, it's 7am, and I'm hoping you are starting your race!!!! Looking forward to hearing about it.
2009-05-17 11:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Just got back from Pinchot.  I AM A TRIATHLETE!  More details will follow...need to shower and take DS to his tennis match.  I wanted to beat 2 hours (in my mind, 2:10 was more realistic) and did!  1:57 and change.  Long and short of it it the swim was not good...hammered on the bike, and went slow on the run on purpose (no trail shoes and it was a trail run).  More details to follow when I have time to write something up...Thanks to all of you for your encouragement and the good advice that was offered!

Matt

Edited by scout21 2009-05-17 3:05 PM
2009-05-17 5:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
Great job Matt!  Under 2 hours woo hoo!  Can't wait to read the race report!
2009-05-17 6:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA

Well, I’m officially a triathlete!  And I’m a much smarter one at that.  I learned several lessons, and I must say that some of those lessons will be easier than others to do something about.

First of all, in order to get to the triathlon, I woke at 3:15 AM, and was out the door by about 3:40 and drove the nearly 2 hours from West Chester to Harrisburg.  It’s a good thing that I did get there a little early too, the directions were not terribly clear, and I had to search for a while for the correct entrance to the park.  Most of the entrances were still gated and locked at 5:30 AM.

Okay, so now I’m in the park.  I leave all my stuff in the car and go to pickup my packet.  They claim that they didn’t do the numbers alphabetically, but they HAD to have.  I was #1.  WTF????  No pressure there!  I joked with the volunteer that marked me that this race should have been Kona.  I’d have had a really really good year last year!  Anyway, I unload my car and rack my bike and lay out my trans area on a hideous burnt orange towel.  Very easy to spot that one!

I suit up and take a dip in the lake.  It was 64*, and some people weren’t wearing wetsuits.  It didn’t feel that bad, but I had a full suit on!  Those guys without wetsuits were nuts!  Anyway, this was my first OWS, and my first wetsuit swim, so I really wasn’t sure what I was in for….more on this later.  Anyway, I get myself into and out of the water and then listen to the RD’s instructions.  There’s a Du at this event, so he had to go through instructions for those athletes as well as us swimmers.  He sends us out to our respective starting lines and blows his air horn to start the race.

I’m going to have to redouble my efforts to find a place to practice OWS.  My swim was HORRIBLE!  I couldn’t get into a rhythm, and I couldn’t catch my breath.  I think part of it was the unfamiliarity of not being able to see that well in the water, and part of it was the collar on my wet suit being a little too tight.  I wound up doing the breast stroke for more than ½ of the swim.  If I can’t find a lake to practice in, I may have to give in and swim at the Y a few times in my wetsuit, and maybe color the inside of the lenses on a pair of old goggles so that they are almost completely blacked out…I don’t know what I’m going to do, but this one is going to take real effort to improve.  This is one of the lessons that I’ll take from this first TRI.  I finished with a time of 18:02 for the swim.  There were probably 100-125 triathletes in this event.  There were probably 15 or 20 people getting out of the water after me.  UGH!

T1 was fairly uneventful.  Wetsuit came off easily.  I had my socks, loaded with baby powder so they were easy to get on with wet feet.  Socks, shoes, arm warmers, helmet and clear glasses on.  Unrack bike and trot to the exit and over the timing mat and hop on the bike. 

Here comes the second lesson.  Next race, my Garmin will start on the bike and STAY on the bike.  It will be used as a bike computer only.  All times will be kept by my Timex Ironman.  I don’t know how I managed to do this, but I totally screwed up the multi sport setting on my Garmin and have only a rough idea of my times for the bike and run parts of this event.  Regardless, the pace was still showing and the distance was working also.  A rough estimate was a 17.55 mile (by Garmin, 18 by the race web site) bike ride in approximately 1:10.  Which would be somewhere around a 14.5 or 15 MPH pace.  For the number of hills on this course, I’m THRILLED with this ride.  I’d say that there are 3 climbs on this course, and it was a two loop ride, so there were 6 climbs total.  One of the 3 was pretty short, but very steep.  The other two were a little longer and more gradual, but tough none the less.  This was a little different than the swim.  During the whole ride, I was passed by probably only 4 or 5 riders, but I was passing people regularly.  This was a good ride.

T2 was a little more eventful than T1.  Bike shoes came off easily and running shoes on easily.  Helmet off and cap on.  But this is about when I realize that I’d screwed up my Garmin.  The heck with it, it’s staying on my bike.  I ran out of T2 and started my run without any kind of time keeper.

Next lesson:  Well, I need to practice bricks a little more, and the bricks that I do need to be a little bit longer than the ones that I’ve done up to now.  I started a little too fast and started to get a stitch, so I dialed it back down a bit.  The run was also a trail run on a dirt/gravel path.  I didn’t realize this ahead of time.  I thought that the ‘path’ mentioned on the race web site was a paved jogging path.  Well, it wasn’t.  There were lots of mud puddles, lots of ruts and some debris on the path.  I was very, very deliberate during this run.  I was very wary of rolling my ankle.  So trying to avoid both a full blown stitch, and a rolled ankle, I probably could have run a bit faster, but I came out unharmed, so I’m happy.  I’m guessing somewhere around 27 minutes for the 3 mile run.

Overall, for my first tri, I’m thrilled with my time.  I knew this would be my first OWS, and my first wetsuit swim.  I knew that the bike course was hilly.  I knew that I’d never done a brick with a bike ride this hard or long, and then a run this hard or long.   With all of this in mind, I was really hoping to beat 2:10.  Well, my time was 1:57:something!  Woo hoo!  This was by far the most fun I’ve ever had in a race.  Now I’ll be checking the calendar and looking for another race in June.

So to recap the lessons that I’ve learned, during races, Garmin=bike computer, Ironman = time keeper.  It’s been said by many people that swimming in OW is different than a pool.  Well, it is.  A LOT different.  Need to find a place to practice, because this was definitely where I lost a ton of time.  I’m thinking that my swim troubles easily cost 3 or 4 minutes.  Also, bricks are a necessity, and they need to be a little more frequent.  But all in all it was still a great day, and I had a blast!  I’ll update this report with accurate times when they post the race results.   

Matt

Edited by scout21 2009-05-17 6:18 PM

2009-05-17 8:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
Sounds like a great day Matt.  I'll have to keep your lessons in mind.    You did a great job! 
2009-05-17 8:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Matt- CONGRATULATIONS on your first race! You ARE A TRIATHLETE!

Even if you do a million races, you will still analyze each one like you did the first.

I agree- find a way to practice OWS. Avoid pool swim in your wetsuit though- the chlorine is not good for it. Check around for local lakes that have public beaches. Or just come visit Northern Ohio or Michigan- tons of lakes here!

Hope you get everything worked out on your garmin. Still can't believe you drove 2 hours to the race. You must be wiped out! Rest up- and again, congratulations! Are you already looking forward to your next race? You try to live through your first triathlon; you live for your second triathlon.

Great job today!
2009-05-17 10:18 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

You are a TRIATHLETE!!

Way to go, Matt!  I don't care how well you think you are prepared for a race there are always things to learn from.  It sounds like everything went well and you finished with a great time.  Big bonus, getting your wetsuit off without a problem, kudos to you!   No matter what your time was today, it is your PR, and a wonderful PR!!!!   I hope you are celebrating your accomplishment and enjoying your success!

2009-05-18 3:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Official times:

S:           18:01
T1:           3:00
B:        1:07:30  -  15.6 MPH avg!  Woo hoo!  With all those hills, I'll take it!
T2:             :48
R:           27:56
Total:  1:57:15

8th of 10 in my AG
63rd of 92 finishers - I am truely a MOPer which beats the hell out of being a BOPer!
2009-05-19 1:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Woo hoo!  I may be getting some OWS practice!  We just refi'd our house, and our morgage guy is a very old and close friend.  Well, he happens to live in Rehoboth Beach on the bay.  We're going down next weekend for a visit and to take them out to dinner to thank Chris for helping us with our morgage!  I'll be swimming in the bay in my wetsuit saturday morning!

And I have my eye on another race on June 20.  Only about an hour away instead of 2 hours this time!

2009-05-19 2:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
Great job Matt!   And you'll be getting some OWS soon too.  That's awesome.

2009-05-22 10:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
hope everyone has a great long weekend.

we're headed up north to my ex-step-mom's cabin on the edge of Huron Nat'l Forest. It's close to the racecourse for our last race of the season- Tawas- and Mike is hoping to go ride the course for several hours on Sunday.

his first race is next weekend, down in Waynesville, OH, for Team Toledo.

We're also having lots of chats about his first HIM, which is June 7 in Monroe, MI. His older sister is going too, so I have someone to help keep me company- or drag him to the car. I'm getting really nervous for him. I still remember his first OLY; he was just so drained and tired. I hope this race goes better.

The back is healing- I'm in a backbrace, doing lots of ice and ibuprofen. I will be gone all weekend, back on Tuesday, late. We come back from MI, drop the kids off with my MIL, and head down to Dayton for an appointment early Tuesday morning with perinatologists for genetic testing. Fun times; just part of being a high risk pregnancy.

Thanks for the inspires- I hope all is well with you guys!

Ginny, if it works out and you can come for the women's race, great. If not, that is cool too. Remember, in a sprint, the swim is VERY short. 400 yards. You don't need a ton of training for that. (Jo you can totally correct me there, remember this is coming from a swimmer who never seems to lose her swim endurance, something that drives my husband nuts) My house is open to whomever comes that weekend. I'm mentoring newbies for our Tri Club this year, so I am sure I will have quite a few people I'm keeping track of at the race. It's a great race, and if it does not work out this year, keep it in mind for future years- free lodging! You can't beat that! Plus, seriously, I am an awesome cook and hostess. Enough tooting my horn- everyone have a great weekend!
2009-05-22 11:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio

Have a great weekend everyone.  Thanks Anne and Jo both for understanding my nervousness about the tri.  I may change my mind as it gets closer, just hate the pressure of feeling I have to be trained and ready to go for it, when I can't seem to get back into the swimming.  I can swim pretty much forever endurance wise, but I want the speed to back it up

I broke down and went and saw the doctor about my calf today. It feels fine until I run on it and then it feels just a little sore.  Decided it was better to have it checked out than to just keep pushing it.

Doc says it's a 2nd - 3rd degree sprain.  No running for 2 weeks and also a couple of weeks of physical therapy.  Then start back in slowly.  Glad I went and saw him to get that complete peace of mind.   (I have got to find a way to get back to the pool so I can get some exercise.  2 weeks no running arggh!!)

2009-05-22 4:26 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

What a group we are!  Ann, with your back and baby bump, Ginny with your calf, me with my eyes (although they are getting better and I can start training again once the work stress lightens).   Take care everyone, REST, and have a great weekend!

2009-05-26 1:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Ok, peeps, I'm back.

Quick notes:
1- Norther MI trip was great. Mike tried out the wetsuit, and then rode the 56 mile bike course for his HIM in September.
2- Back is healing. I'm out of the brace, still icing, still doing Ibuprofen.
3- Had genetic testing today, worn out from all the time on the road. Baby is still fine, we are 13 weeks and still due around Thanksgiving.

Hoping to SLOWLY ease back into working out today. Feeling motivated. Belly bump is getting bigger, which means I need to go slow and watch my center of balance, since it is going to be off. A couple swims, a walk, a couple bikes. Hips are moving out so that might be part of the back issues.

My house- still open for the weekend of July 25/26. We start our race season this weekend, Waynesville, OH; mike does a sprint race to get points for Team Toledo. Will see lots of friends, cheer them on in my club shirt, but I know I will miss racing. OWS starts June 16th! Can't wait!

2009-05-27 6:16 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

I'm so happy to hear that the back is healing and that all went well with your baby appt.  Racing will still be there next year.  Maybe next year, I'll have to come see you at races and watch a kid or two or three for you while you tri. 

I am still a little interested in the July tri.  Don't count me out just yet.  I don't know.  I am also looking forward to NEVER doing this again after my tri in June.  I don't think I would be disappointed if I blew that one off.  I am not looking forward to this weekend.  I am not physically or mentally ready.  In fact I'm feeling physically and mentally challenged. 

Have you ever noticed how some people just go way over board with this tri stuff, like it is the focus of their life and look down on you for not having the same passion or time to train?  This board gets way intense sometimes and really plays with your head.  I am so glad that I have you and Ginny and Matt to talk to on this forum.  Its sort of like my little getaway, my vacation from the tri obsessed.

2009-05-27 7:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
Glad to hear that the baby appointment went well and that your back is getting better Anne. 

Good luck this weekend Jo, I'm sure you'll do great.

I'm with you on the not being "tri" (or evening running)  obsessed.  Sometimes people make feel like I should be doing so many more races etc, but I've got way too many other hobbies to be able to fit in any more.  And with the other hobbies being things that I do with SO and my kids, and this being the only thing I do alone, it's kind of low on the list of priorities you know?  There's several other races I've thought about doing, but that would interfere with the Wine train trip, the diving trips, Vintage Ohio, family reunions.  (Oh gee maybe Wine is too high on my list too Tongue out

Edited by scubagrrl 2009-05-27 7:53 AM
2009-05-27 10:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
I live with an obsessed triathlete. This weekend I will be in a hotel with a crapload of them. I love that they are so passionate, but the truth is this is a hobby for me. I don't know anything about my bike, just how to get on and off of it. I don't get crazy about my times, I'm just happy to finish.

Jo....get in a happy place. I don't want you going into a race this weekend unprepared. Especially since I do not want you to get injured, or to have a DNF. I know you are in killer shape, and no matter what, you can finish. Get your head in the right place.

Ginny, unfortunately for me, I'm at that point in my life where my kids take up 99% of my time. For me, triathlon training did two things- one, it helped my relationship with my tri-obsessed husband; two- it got me in shape and gave me some time to myself. That is part of why i'm sticking to sprints, and just doing a few races each summer. If you decide to venture into tris, great. Let's remember you just did a Half Marathon. Most people never even do a 5k, much less attempt that distance.

and, my helper (the toddler) needs some juice and lunch after a tiny nap, so my time is up. pep talk over.
2009-05-27 12:37 PM
in reply to: #2174971

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

scubagrrl - 2009-05-27 8:51 AM Glad to hear that the baby appointment went well and that your back is getting better Anne. 

Good luck this weekend Jo, I'm sure you'll do great.

I'm with you on the not being "tri" (or evening running)  obsessed.  Sometimes people make feel like I should be doing so many more races etc, but I've got way too many other hobbies to be able to fit in any more.  And with the other hobbies being things that I do with SO and my kids, and this being the only thing I do alone, it's kind of low on the list of priorities you know?  There's several other races I've thought about doing, but that would interfere with the Wine train trip, the diving trips, Vintage Ohio, family reunions.  (Oh gee maybe Wine is too high on my list too Tongue out

Lets talk wine.  What is this wine train trip you speak of?  Wine is HIGH on my priority list.  I knew I liked you.

Anne, I am in a happy place.  Its hard to stay there when people around you are pushing you and in your face about being competitive.  I am good with my decisions to do these as fun.  Ginny, I hope you are still keeping the women's tri on your radar.  I haven't given up on trying to convince you to come out and play with me.  I have till June 1st, right?  That was when you were supposed to let us know.  Anything before June 1st is just talk.  Come on Anne, lets work on her.  Ginny, I'll respect and support whatever decision you make after June 1st. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants Group- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23