BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-01-22 2:12 PM
in reply to: #2628846

User image

Master
Subject: RE: KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED

tnguyen1 - 2010-01-22 10:45 AM Happy Friday!!!!!

I'm ready to hit this weekend full force. Just got done w/ a killer Master's swim this AM, 7 mile run Saturday & maybe bike, Sunday AM Master's swim and then maybe another bike. Bike's are a maybe b/c not sure how bad my legs will hurt after 7 mile run-it's my first time to run 7 miles. Phew...hope I can get it all done.

Hope everyone has a fabulous weekend!!

Good luck on your run...You'll do great!!!

2010-01-22 2:49 PM
in reply to: #2628846

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
tnguyen1 - 2010-01-22 8:45 AM Happy Friday!!!!!

I'm ready to hit this weekend full force. Just got done w/ a killer Master's swim this AM, 7 mile run Saturday & maybe bike, Sunday AM Master's swim and then maybe another bike. Bike's are a maybe b/c not sure how bad my legs will hurt after 7 mile run-it's my first time to run 7 miles. Phew...hope I can get it all done.

Hope everyone has a fabulous weekend!!

Good luck on your run!
2010-01-22 2:51 PM
in reply to: #2557497

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
So I posed this question on the Iron Training Talk section of the forums:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=194006&posts=2&start=1

I haven't gotten many responses so I wanted to know if anyone else has any thoughts? It's regarding when to start my HIM training due to a conflict with an upcoming vacation. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
2010-01-22 3:58 PM
in reply to: #2629486

User image

Veteran
calimavs - 2010-01-22 2:51 PM So I posed this question on the Iron Training Talk section of the forums:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=194006&posts=2&start=1

I haven't gotten many responses so I wanted to know if anyone else has any thoughts? It's regarding when to start my HIM training due to a conflict with an upcoming vacation. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

First off, I am very jealous about Vineman.  That is supposed to be a great course and sold out soooo quick.  I would say to just pick up at week 3 when you get back and enjoy the heck out of your vacation.  Do not stress or worry about the training for one moment (now or on vacation)!  Rome is one of my favorite big European cities.  I love walking aimlessly through that city and stubmling across unknown treasures.  Stay away from the gypsies and don't get pick-pocketed.  Oh yeah, this is a triathlon site, right (IM or email me if you want to chat more about Rome).

I wouldn't necessarily do the first 2 weeks early, just continue on your base training up until the vacation and then pick up when you get back.  You still have months of training left and you will be right where you need to be.  (I don't recommend this, but I think I threw together my 70.3 Aquabike together in 5 weeks or something so you have plenty of time.  And get this, Karen is the one that told me to do it, haha).
2010-01-22 6:05 PM
in reply to: #2629635

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Big_D - 2010-01-22 3:58 PM

calimavs - 2010-01-22 2:51 PM So I posed this question on the Iron Training Talk section of the forums:

First off, I am very jealous about Vineman.  That is supposed to be a great course and sold out soooo quick.  I would say to just pick up at week 3 when you get back and enjoy the heck out of your vacation.  Do not stress or worry about the training for one moment (now or on vacation)!  Rome is one of my favorite big European cities.  I love walking aimlessly through that city and stubmling across unknown treasures.  Stay away from the gypsies and don't get pick-pocketed.  Oh yeah, this is a triathlon site, right (IM or email me if you want to chat more about Rome).

I wouldn't necessarily do the first 2 weeks early, just continue on your base training up until the vacation and then pick up when you get back.  You still have months of training left and you will be right where you need to be.  (I don't recommend this, but I think I threw together my 70.3 Aquabike together in 5 weeks or something so you have plenty of time.  And get this, Karen is the one that told me to do it, haha).

Answered the question in the thread.

AND... Derrick... I told you it was fine to ramp up in 5 weeks for a HIM... because the part that INJURIES people easily in training (running) you weren't doing.

Ramping up in 5 weeks with a solid swim base and some riding... not a problem at all. And you are a strong swimmer too.

2010-01-22 6:54 PM

User image

Veteran
San Francisco
Rain, Rain GO AWAY! That's all I have to say about the California weather. I have my first one to one swim lesson tomorrow. Can't wait! I'm also hoping to do some cycling outside. The trainer is getting easier, but it's not the same. I hope everyone is doing well.

2010-01-22 9:48 PM
in reply to: #2629872

User image

Veteran
justtrichris - 2010-01-22 6:54 PM Rain, Rain GO AWAY! That's all I have to say about the California weather. I have my first one to one swim lesson tomorrow. Can't wait! I'm also hoping to do some cycling outside. The trainer is getting easier, but it's not the same. I hope everyone is doing well.
Have a great swim!!!!  And let us know how the ride goes if it dries up.  Hope to see some nice gains from the trainer sacrificing.
2010-01-23 4:31 PM

User image

New user
Sandusky
Hey all,  hope everyone is having a nice weekend.  This week was a weird week. I had two pretty tough workouts. One of my swim workouts was really tough and I about died yesterday in spin class. I just lost my energy.  I think it just might have been an off day because I ate a good breakfast and drank a good amount of water before and during the class.  Who knows.  So I'm hoping for a better week next week. 

I was planning on doing an indoor triathlon on next weekend but I waited to long to sign up and now it's closed out!  I'm super bummed. I was looking forward to it.  No one's fault but mine for being a procrastinator!  

2010-01-23 6:41 PM
in reply to: #2630783

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
erin.kelsey - 2010-01-23 4:31 PM

Hey all,  hope everyone is having a nice weekend.  This week was a weird week. I had two pretty tough workouts. One of my swim workouts was really tough and I about died yesterday in spin class. I just lost my energy.  I think it just might have been an off day because I ate a good breakfast and drank a good amount of water before and during the class.  Who knows.  So I'm hoping for a better week next week. 

I was planning on doing an indoor triathlon on next weekend but I waited to long to sign up and now it's closed out!  I'm super bummed. I was looking forward to it.  No one's fault but mine for being a procrastinator!  

Yeah, sometimes you just have a bad day.

I know I had a bad night running the other night... found out because I am sick. Of course, I never get deathly-ill... I just feel a little off. Now I have cough. Not sure WHY since I didn't have any drainage. Odd. I'm sure it didn't help the kid I babysat last weekend coughed in my face for 6 hours.

Sorry to hear the indoor tri closed out. BBBOOOO!!!!

2010-01-23 10:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Thanks for the suggestions on when to start the HIM plan everyone! I only have three weeks between my half marathon and when we leave for vacation so I think I'll spend the week after recovering and resting and then hit the plan hard for two weeks before we leave. I'm just glad the trip is at the very start of the plan rather than halfway through!
2010-01-24 12:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
Hola everyone,

I did my first 100km bike ride yesterday (it was 97km, but I am calling it a 100 ;-)) I was great and was very happy to finish. I learned two important things. First, you CAN do it. You may not think you can, but you can. We joined a group of cyclist going from Playa del Carmen to Cancun and the four of us would ride back. They took off and started going too fast for me, so I decided to"race my own race". A very good choice. They were going at around 21 mph and my pace was more like 19, so I went pretty much all of the distance alone. Plenty of time to think about life :-) It is funny that even though I was going slower, the guys only got in a few minutes before me, but the easier pace definitively helped me finish OK. Go at your pace!!

On the way back I stuck with the other three that were going back to Playa. Since I was at the back I was getting some nice drafting from the wind. That is when I learned my second lesson. Don't draft too closely and don't do it in aero position!! My wheel hit the guy in front and down I went. Pretty hard fall on my side, but luckily it was a clean fall and I slid and so did the bike. I have a pretty good bruise on my hip, and a couple of minor scrapes, but nothing serious. I think by tomorrow I will be ok.

So stay of aero if you are close to people, and go out at your pace and go further than you think you can. It was a great feeling fishing my first 100 km... :-)

Gerry

2010-01-24 12:43 PM
in reply to: #2631668

User image

Veteran
gerrydiego - 2010-01-24 12:29 PM Hola everyone,

I did my first 100km bike ride yesterday (it was 97km, but I am calling it a 100 ;-)) I was great and was very happy to finish. I learned two important things. First, you CAN do it. You may not think you can, but you can. We joined a group of cyclist going from Playa del Carmen to Cancun and the four of us would ride back. They took off and started going too fast for me, so I decided to"race my own race". A very good choice. They were going at around 21 mph and my pace was more like 19, so I went pretty much all of the distance alone. Plenty of time to think about life :-) It is funny that even though I was going slower, the guys only got in a few minutes before me, but the easier pace definitively helped me finish OK. Go at your pace!!

On the way back I stuck with the other three that were going back to Playa. Since I was at the back I was getting some nice drafting from the wind. That is when I learned my second lesson. Don't draft too closely and don't do it in aero position!! My wheel hit the guy in front and down I went. Pretty hard fall on my side, but luckily it was a clean fall and I slid and so did the bike. I have a pretty good bruise on my hip, and a couple of minor scrapes, but nothing serious. I think by tomorrow I will be ok.

So stay of aero if you are close to people, and go out at your pace and go further than you think you can. It was a great feeling fishing my first 100 km... :-)

Gerry

Good lessons, sorry you learned the second one the hard way.  Pace and nutrition are the keys to long rides/runs for sure.  Sounds like a nice route!

I am off to track practice today and want to dial it up a notch.  My legs have been feeling stronger and stronger so I am excited.  We will see what happens.......
2010-01-24 1:15 PM

User image

Veteran
San Francisco
gerrydiego - 2010-01-24 10:29 AM Hola everyone,

Gerry

Fantastic work!  Congratulations!  Sorry to hear about the fall, but I firmly believe that incidents such as this only make us stronger/smarter athletes.  Great work Smile
2010-01-24 1:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
gerrydiego - 2010-01-24 12:29 PM Hola everyone,

Gerry

Glad to hear you are OK and great job on your first 100km!
2010-01-24 1:18 PM

User image

Veteran
San Francisco
I am about to attempt my first official brick workout. Bike for 20, then run for 15-20. I have a very busy day ahead after that, so I'll try to update later today. By the way... I loved my swim lesson yesterday! I have a couple things to work on, and will continue to see the instructor about twice a month. By the end of the 30 minute lesson, I felt like I was just gliding through the water. What a great feeling! Now for the brick...
2010-01-24 3:11 PM
in reply to: #2630783

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
Sorry about the OSU indoor tri. being closed.

Here's a link for some in Ohio:  http://www.indoortri.com/page/show/152666-ohio-indoor-triathlon at Liftime Fitness.  They're doing them all over the US this year.

There's one in Columbus on March 21 and one on the norheast side of Cincinnati (Deerfield) on March 7.  I think I'm going to do the Deerfield one.  It was my first try at tri last year.  I did it as a workout and had a blast.  Want to meet up?  We could request the same heat.

Cheryl

2010-01-24 3:18 PM

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
I've had a good rest week, enjoying a little more time for my family.  I also started physical therapy for my hip ache.  The PT says I'm unbalanced (as anyone who knows me could have told him) and look like that's making me land harder/wierd on my right side (and that's just walking!).  I'm doing more strengthening than stretching so far.  How can exercises that are so wimpy burn so much!?

Training is going well.  I'm on track to make all my training goals for time and distance this month.  I'm up to running 3miles finally and go to 3.5 next week.  Making progress...  I haven't decided yet if I'm brave enough to commit to a half mary this spring.  I want to see how therapy goes and my first few weeks of 3 and 4 mile runs.
2010-01-24 6:21 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
gerrydiego - 2010-01-24 12:29 PM

Hola everyone,

Gerry

Great job!

So... 100KM... is... 65 miles? Right?

Great job on going that far so early into your training!

Ah yes, overlapping wheels is dangerous and so it being in aero in a pace line. Thus, why cycling clubs do not let people get into aero unless they are at the front, pulling the group. Even then they don't care for it. Thank goodness it wasn't a horrible wreck!

2010-01-24 6:23 PM
in reply to: #2631733

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
justtrichris - 2010-01-24 1:18 PM

I am about to attempt my first official brick workout. Bike for 20, then run for 15-20. I have a very busy day ahead after that, so I'll try to update later today. By the way... I loved my swim lesson yesterday! I have a couple things to work on, and will continue to see the instructor about twice a month. By the end of the 30 minute lesson, I felt like I was just gliding through the water. What a great feeling! Now for the brick...

How was the brick?

I always remind myself that after .50 or a mile my legs will feel fine on the run. So I just tell my body to do what I know it can do, even if it doesn't feel like it's doing it right.

Terrific news on the swim lesson!

2010-01-24 6:23 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
justtrichris - 2010-01-24 1:18 PM

How was the brick?

I always remind myself that after .50 or a mile my legs will feel fine on the run. So I just tell my body to do what I know it can do, even if it doesn't feel like it's doing it right.

Terrific news on the swim lesson!

2010-01-24 6:24 PM
in reply to: #2631888

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
lovesreading - 2010-01-24 3:18 PM

I've had a good rest week, enjoying a little more time for my family.  I also started physical therapy for my hip ache.  The PT says I'm unbalanced (as anyone who knows me could have told him) and look like that's making me land harder/wierd on my right side (and that's just walking!).  I'm doing more strengthening than stretching so far.  How can exercises that are so wimpy burn so much!?

Training is going well.  I'm on track to make all my training goals for time and distance this month.  I'm up to running 3miles finally and go to 3.5 next week.  Making progress...  I haven't decided yet if I'm brave enough to commit to a half mary this spring.  I want to see how therapy goes and my first few weeks of 3 and 4 mile runs.

Nice to hear you started PT for the hip pain. Take it easy on the running until you get that fixed up.

2010-01-24 6:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Hi guys! Just popping in here quickly - I did my 10 miler today before the rain started up again and felt GREAT! Legs felt good and I was able to keep a slightly quicker than normal pace. I'm ready to kick some butt at the half marathon in two weeks.

Looks like everyone is getting in some good training, keep it up! 
2010-01-24 8:22 PM

User image

Veteran
San Francisco
The brick was great!  I could have run longer, but had to stop due to my appointment to test drive a Mini!  I'm about 99% sure I'll be buying one in a few weeks!

As for the brick... I expected my legs to feel awful.  Well, they didn't.  They felt great, and in fact I even ran faster than usual.  I cycled for 20 minutes on the trainer, spent 5 minutes changing (it was raining out), then headed off for a run.  At first, my legs felt off, but that only lasted about a minute or so.  Next weekend, I'm going to shoot for a 30 minute bike ride, then a 25 minute run.
2010-01-24 9:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago
justtrichris - 2010-01-24 1:18 PM I am about to attempt my first official brick workout. Bike for 20, then run for 15-20. I have a very busy day ahead after that, so I'll try to update later today. By the way... I loved my swim lesson yesterday! I have a couple things to work on, and will continue to see the instructor about twice a month. By the end of the 30 minute lesson, I felt like I was just gliding through the water. What a great feeling! Now for the brick...

Nice to hear your swim lesson went great! Sounds like your brick did too!! Smile
2010-01-24 9:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago
I have a swim question:

What is your typical rest time between sets? do you give yourself a longer rest time if the set is longer or base it on clock time (i.e, less rest for the slowest swimmer). I have a sample swim plan I use occasionally but it doesn't provide the time to rests between sets. I was hoping to have some type of a measure.
Thanks!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27