BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2010-02-21 11:45 PM
in reply to: #2684030

User image

Mammoth Lakes
Subject: RE: Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL
karen26.2 - 2010-02-20 5:25 PM I hope everyone is having a great weekend.  Today it was 63 degrees, sun shining, perfect day for a bike ride outdoors.  I've been stuck indoors, so it was very nice to get a ride in today.

I met some people for a ride @ noon.  The plan was to do 50 miles, which ended up being 53.5 miles.  I think I was prepared for 35ish, the last 15 were tough.  It was a very hilly route, my legs were toast.

So I was supposed to do a time trail last weekend, which got snowed out.  It was actually funny it was canceled due to snow because it's called the Tundra Time Trail.  Anyway, it was rescheduled for this morning, but I had something come up and was not able to go.  I was glad to see there was a group ride today so I could get outside.

On this bike ride today, there was a hill that I have never been up.  It was the steepest hill I think I've been on, at least on my tri bike.  It was one of those hills that you can't stop and get your foot out in time, so you keep going and just hope you don't tip over.

Rochelle - I know the bike test you posted for hills said it shouldn't necessarily be steep, but I'm pretty sure I hit max HR on this hill today.  It reached 187, which is actually only 1 beat lower than the max HR I got doing the run test.  I have never seen my HR that high on a bike ride, and not even anything close.  Do you think it would be safe to use that? I doubt I'd get it any higher doing the other hill test.

It makes me wonder if my run max HR is accurate.  Are run max and bike max typically that close?  Or does it just depend on the person?

Typically, a person is up to 10 beats lower on the bike than the run... But not always, it does depend on the person.  I am about 7 beats lower on the bike, but I have made gotten it within 3 beats during a mountain bike race once.  I have never been able to do it again.  My husband, who has more history biking than anyone I know has thew exact same heart rate for both sports.  I would say you are safe using the heart rates you got for both the bike and run.  However, since you said you never saw your heart rate that high before, If you find that you have an extremely hard time (ie impossible)getting your heart rate into zone 5 on training rides then you may want to do the bike test.

2010-02-22 8:32 AM
in reply to: #2571242

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

More birds!  The gulls were all over the place Sunday afternoon.

I'm hesitant to post it, but I had a pain free brick workout this morning.  Even woke up without having to limp around until the PF loosened up.  Not that I think I'm cured or anything, just that it's the first truly good morning in a while.  Crossing my fingers for more like it.

2010-02-22 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2685515

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
sesh - 2010-02-22 8:32 AM

More birds!  The gulls were all over the place Sunday afternoon.

I'm hesitant to post it, but I had a pain free brick workout this morning.  Even woke up without having to limp around until the PF loosened up.  Not that I think I'm cured or anything, just that it's the first truly good morning in a while.  Crossing my fingers for more like it.

Incredible pic!  Keep em coming...

Good to here on the PF front.  I guess my suggestion would be to keep treatment up until you've gone without pain for a couple of weeks.  I kept the ice treatment up for a bit after my pain went away and slowly stopped using it. 
2010-02-22 9:01 AM
in reply to: #2685549

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
I had a really good yesterday and today.  You all know how terrible my Friday was only to be capped off with a trip to the funeral home - it wasn't too bad though.  I'm sure Bill being from MS can attest to how horrible some of the old-timey deep south funerals can be.

Yesterday I did spin class for an hour, got a 40 min. or so workout in, and got to run for the first time in over a month!!  Ran into my therapist at the gym and told him that it was just too pretty outside to not run.  After about 10 minutes of prodding and pleading, he consented to letting me run a mile, I then said "great!, two it is!"  Now I have to go to PT today and let him tell me how much damage I did. 

Swim class was awesome this morning.  First time I've been able to actually swim without a pull buoy!  I went about 1250 yds and then my form really started to go, so I did the last 350 with the pull bouy.  Its not much, but its the best I've felt in the water since I started.  I felt like I was flying with the bouy there at the end too!  Oh, and we had a professional Triathlete - Internationally ranked (didn't know her name) come to class and actually complained to the coach that he put her in a lane that she couldn't keep up with.  She was only 2 lanes over from me. 
2010-02-23 11:20 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

I knew I spoke to soon.  Home sick today.  Felt like I had the flu.  Achy, deep cough, head wanted to explode.  I had started feeling funky last night and I guess it ramped up over the night.  Got a decadron shot, some pills, and some cough syrup with codeine in it.  So yeah, I just took some of that syrup and I'm gonna go sleep this thing off. 

Just sucks because I was all set to finally get in a good week with 4-5 days of running for the first time since the PF had flared up.  Oh well... stuff happens.

2010-02-24 10:53 PM
in reply to: #2688329

sesh - 2010-02-23 11:20 AM

I knew I spoke to soon.  Home sick today.  Felt like I had the flu.  Achy, deep cough, head wanted to explode.  I had started feeling funky last night and I guess it ramped up over the night.  Got a decadron shot, some pills, and some cough syrup with codeine in it.  So yeah, I just took some of that syrup and I'm gonna go sleep this thing off. 

Just sucks because I was all set to finally get in a good week with 4-5 days of running for the first time since the PF had flared up.  Oh well... stuff happens.

I know the feeling! I am just recovering from a nasty stomach thing that hit me on Sunday. Tried to swim tonight but couldn't do it. I am hoping for a short run tomorrow and a ride on Friday. I hope you feel better!

2010-02-25 7:32 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Back at work, but not back at working out.  I may call this week a draw and just deal with it.  Spent the last two days doped up on that sweet codeine cough syrup.  My wife was seriously messing with me last night.  Apparently I was just spaced out.  Closed my eyes for what I thought was a few seconds and it turns out I slept through the last hour of American Idol.

Anyway, still feeling weird up in the head a bit, but good enough to get some work done so I don't fall to far behind.  Got our dude's weekend planned for this weekend, and I want to be able to leave a little early tomorrow.  Basically, about 8 of us that all hung out together in college, have been in each others weddings, etc. all head back to Starkville, MS (where Miss. State is), hit up our favorite bar from college on Friday night, then we head to a steak house on Saturday night.  It's the large ribeye and a bottle of wine each or else you get mercilessly ridiculed.  Not exactly good for training   But it's good for good times, and you gotta have good times.

2010-02-25 4:11 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Sesh - your weekend plans sound like a lot of fun.  Hope you feel better by then.  If not, a bottle of wine ought to fix you right up!

I have a half marathon trail run on Saturday that I was looking forward to, but now I'm not so sure.  It's supposed to be very cold here, and my running has been horrible lately.  Especially on hills so the trails will really kick my butt!  I know I'll finish, I just hope my husband and dog (who I am making take me) are still around when I'm done.
2010-02-26 3:46 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Finally registered for my first tri since the New Orleans 70.3 in April 2009.  All I've been able to do since then is the MS Blues Half Mary.  A year of a jacked up hip, now PF, and no swimming pretty much has to come to and end.  It's the Kind of Hill sprint in Tupelo, MS.  Love the race as I did it back in 2008.  A fun little sprint course that is now wetsuit legal since they moved to May 1st instead of early August.  Should be a lot of fun.

Guess I should start swimming, huh?

Gonna take these next two days off as well.  Got a lingering cough that I don't want to irritate.  I'll be back on the horse hopefully by Sunday afternoon.

2010-02-26 10:08 AM
in reply to: #2681357

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
Had swim class this morning.  We had a new swim coach. She used to help coach with the other guy before I started but was in a real bad car accident so this is the first time I've seen her.  I loved this woman.  She seems to be a hard-@$$ and a stickler for technique. 

Because I'm officially getting "physical therapy"  I get to work with the sports performance guys during my sessions.  They are the ones that get the players ready for the field after surgery, etc... Before PT yesterday I took a functionality test which is basically an injury probability test.  100% of NFL players that scored 14 or below were injured this past season.  I scored a 10. You get 7 points just for taking the test.  I think the Asian dude might've been laughing at me, but I couldn't tell for sure.
2010-02-26 4:39 PM
in reply to: #2695139

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
GorgeousGeorge - 2010-02-26 11:08 AM
Had swim class this morning.  We had a new swim coach. She used to help coach with the other guy before I started but was in a real bad car accident so this is the first time I've seen her.  I loved this woman.  She seems to be a hard-@$$ and a stickler for technique. 

Because I'm officially getting "physical therapy"  I get to work with the sports performance guys during my sessions.  They are the ones that get the players ready for the field after surgery, etc... Before PT yesterday I took a functionality test which is basically an injury probability test.  100% of NFL players that scored 14 or below were injured this past season.  I scored a 10. You get 7 points just for taking the test.  I think the Asian dude might've been laughing at me, but I couldn't tell for sure.

A hard a$$ coach can only be good.

That second part made me laugh out loud.  So I'm guessing a score of 10 is not good?  What kind of things did they test?  Flexability?  Coordination?  Core Strength?   I would probably be low like you, maybe even in the negative numbers if you can lose points for anything.

2010-02-26 4:46 PM
in reply to: #2696148

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
karen26.2 - 2010-02-26 4:39 PM
GorgeousGeorge - 2010-02-26 11:08 AM

A hard a$$ coach can only be good.

That second part made me laugh out loud.  So I'm guessing a score of 10 is not good?  What kind of things did they test?  Flexability?  Coordination?  Core Strength?   I would probably be low like you, maybe even in the negative numbers if you can lose points for anything.

Flexibility, range of motion, and core strength.  The toughest one was down on hands and knees, and having to do superman motions on one side only(i.e. right arm, right leg) arm out leg out, then touch elbow to knee and then back down.  Picture a horse with no right legs.  How the H*!! am I supposed to keep my balance with no right legs???   Obviously I failed that one.   I made a 7 on a Finance 432 exam in college so a 10 didn't seem so bad....
2010-02-28 5:26 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
I did my half marathon trail race yesterday, and it was a blast!  My love for trail running has returned.

Today the plan was to ride 50 miles with some friends, but the wind was so bad we ended up only doing 30 miles.  But, it was an extra tough hilly ride that the wind only made harder, so I'm counting it as an equivalent 50 mile flat ride.

What did everyone else do?  Where's YouYou & Rochelle?
2010-03-01 7:44 AM
in reply to: #2698460

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
karen26.2 - 2010-02-28 5:26 PM I did my half marathon trail race yesterday, and it was a blast!  My love for trail running has returned.

Today the plan was to ride 50 miles with some friends, but the wind was so bad we ended up only doing 30 miles.  But, it was an extra tough hilly ride that the wind only made harder, so I'm counting it as an equivalent 50 mile flat ride.

Sounds like a fun weekend.  I did a little bit of everything. 

And by the way,  Swimming is hard!  Who knew? And why didn't anyone tell me? 
2010-03-01 6:59 PM
in reply to: #2699263

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
GorgeousGeorge - 2010-03-01 8:44 AM
karen26.2 - 2010-02-28 5:26 PM I did my half marathon trail race yesterday, and it was a blast!  My love for trail running has returned.

Sounds like a fun weekend.  I did a little bit of everything. 

And by the way,  Swimming is hard!  Who knew? And why didn't anyone tell me? 

That's funny - I never swam because I figured running and biking was a much better workout.  Then when I started swimming, first of all I could hardly swim a few hundred yards.  Then when I finally built up some distance, and started going to masters, i found out an hour to 90 minutes of hard swimming is tough work!  I always leave there starving!
2010-03-02 9:12 AM
in reply to: #2701064

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river

Since we are essentially a 3 person discussion group (with a few sprinkles here and there of course )  I feel like I can post this here. I go to a Y in probably the most affluent area of my city.  I'm sure you both know "old money"  "old dusty money", crazy property taxes, etc...  Its probably the nicest gym in Birmingham with hands down the best resources for a triathlete.  So its definitely the gym I need to be in.  Disclaimer - If you are easily offended please do not read any further.

I recently had to recruit a girl friend to come to the gym and workout with me when I'm not in a spin or swim class.  Recently there have been a lot of non-straight guys openly hitting on all the straight guys in the gym.  It started a few weeks ago, and a few of us were sort of laughing about it and trading creepy stories and what not.  Well the issue began to escalate and has gotten out of hand.  One of them has gotten one of the guys (we'll call him "Joe") I swim with's email address (from the Y system/somebody that works there- likely from the Masters swim list we think).  The first message was that of hey, I've noticed you at the gym youre Joe right? and then started asking him about whether he is "bicurious" etc.  Joe didn't respond, he got another one.  Joe didn't respond then got another one this time with a self photo from the neck down, unclothed in a provocative pose.  WAY over the line.  If we can pinpoint who it is, we can turn them in.  Now  I've had one that was trying to find out my training schedule, when I was going swimming next, etc... He, then said, Now you're name's "Joe" right? Hmmmmm...

Anyway,  He showed up the next day (I was leaving spin class to go for a short run) and asked me "Are you not swimming?" (I might've mentioned that I would be swimming during that time). THen he asked me to go swim with him (in a creepy manner)- this guy is not a triathlete, but a gym socialite (mid 40s pretty good shape)  I acted like I still had my ipod on, and motioned I was running as I walked out the door.  Right before this happened I told my spin instructor about him creeping me out and she said "yeah, he's been texting a couple other guys that teach the spin classes too.  He comes into the pool sometimes I think just to see who's there and watch."  Also, in the locker room there are "guys" who stare at you while you undress/shower and there will be a thousand open benches and lockers and they will come stand right next to you.  There have been "situations" in the saunas and hot tubs too.  And though its a nice facility, I've stopped using the main locker room needless to say. 

Anyway, has anyone ever heard of this or how best to handle it?  Again its not just me.  There is a group of 5 of us that have had some of this go on lately.  Fortunately, my experience has been on the tame side compared to the others.  There are a couple of non-straight guys that work there and are friendly with me and thats fine, bc they do they are doing their job and they do it well.  So what do I do, do I say there is a group of guys that are bothering me.  People are crazy, and I don't want to start a $#!t storm if I can get around it.  I can handle myself pretty well if I have to physically protect myself (growing up in the country has its benefits, even for a "city boy"), but I feel a confrontation coming on if this doesn't stop soon.  Therefore I brought one of my friends to keep these guys at bay, or at least give them a clue, actually it was her idea.  Of course a couple of them asked her if she was with me and she told them we were together.  She's also easy on the eyes, so win/win for me

Do I turn them in, and to who?  How exactly would I start that conversation?

2010-03-02 7:36 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Wow, that's creepy!  I have not heard of anything like that going on where I am.  Just a recent report on the news of a local gym catching someone taking photos of people in the locker rooms with a mini camera.  That creeped me out.  What is wrong with people?

I'm pretty sure I'd report it to a manager, that's just not ok for anyone to be doing.  You should be able to go work out, and not have to worry about people approaching you, watching you, or making you feel uncomfortable.

It sounds like some of the instructors are already aware, and really they should be doing something about it already.
2010-03-03 4:38 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

So I finally get better and I come back to creepy gym stories.  I knew there was a reason I stopped going to the Y.

Best thing to do is take it up with management.  They usually take stuff like that very, very, very seriously, especially when notified.  Last thing they want is some sort of harassment incident to occur with them having turned a blind eye.

They actually had to handle something similar to this at the YMCA I used to go to, except it was a 60 year old man creeping out a lot of the women. 

In the locker room once, I actually had a naked guy ask me if I had found Jesus.  Sorta stood there for a moment and finally said, "Probably something you should have asked when you had pants on."

2010-03-03 4:41 PM
in reply to: #2698460

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Congrats!  Trail running seems like it would be a lot of fun.  Might have to give it a go sometime.

2010-03-05 6:31 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Well... launched into a coughing fit two miles into my run this morning. 

So that sucked.

2010-03-05 1:40 PM
in reply to: #2709048

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
sesh - 2010-03-05 6:31 AM

Well... launched into a coughing fit two miles into my run this morning. 

So that sucked.

Sucks about the coughing Bill.  Nice weather this weekend though , so maybe you can get it cleared up before Sunday. 

2010-03-05 1:43 PM
in reply to: #2710386

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
Got fitted for my bike today.  I'm hoping to be able to pick it up next weekend.  had to order shoes, because they didn't have any in my size.  I was surprised when he said it was a relief to get to fit someone so flexible.  Guess PT is paying off.  I did feel surprisingly comfortable in such an aggressive position. 
2010-03-08 7:09 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Got the camera back out again yesterday.  This is from Pelahatchie Bay.  It's basically a bunch of coves and creeks off of the Ross Barnett Reservoir.  It's about a 3 minute drive from my house, and they are finishing a bike/walk path that completely encircles it.  It'll be just over 13 miles.

2010-03-08 9:17 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Nice pictures - I love the butt shot!

We're slowly fading away - how do we get this group going again???
2010-03-09 5:52 AM
in reply to: #2715475

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

karen26.2 - 2010-03-08 9:17 PM Nice pictures - I love the butt shot!

We're slowly fading away - how do we get this group going again???

Anybody racing anytime soon?

I signed up for a sprint on May 1st.  It's in Tupelo, MS and they say it'll be wetsuit legal, which will be my first race under 70.3 distance where I'll have to worry about that.  I actually don't like swimming with a wetsuit that much.  The buoyancy messes with me big time.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL Rss Feed  

of 17