BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-05-23 11:25 PM
in reply to: #2769357

Subject: RE: mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED
Robin,

I'm so very sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. 

I hope you find a replacement race too...you've been working so hard.

Ronda

2010-05-24 7:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio

Hope all is well with everyone

Robin - Sorry to hear about your dog.  My dog was hit by a car when I was only in 7th grade and I have not had one since because it hurt so much.

Crisi - I had compartment syndrome about 3 years ago.  I think you would know it if you had it.  I had just given platelts the day before and a blood vesel in my leg blew.  They could not lance it because I could not clot.  It is a very long recovery (several months) and painful therapy.  Like I said you would know it because you swell up for apparently no reason and it gets really tight in the area where it happens.

Brian - I added you as a friend so you can see my logs, etc but when I go out and look at fridns you are not on there.  I did it several times.  Do you have any idea on this or can you now access them?

Rhonda - I hope all is a bit better now.  Sounds like the swings that training takes us through.  I understand the frustration.  If I trained like this ten years ago I would weigh 150 not 240.  It seems like my weight just does not want to move.  I know I have more muscle now but come on.  I have never worked out like this before.  Now I am trying to just stay OFF the scale.  Thanks for venting to the group.  I have had a few of those days lately.  Hang in and vent anytime.

Group - Man did I learn a great lesson this past weekend.  Satuday I rode my bike 24 miles @ 16MPH, ran 3 miles right after and then swam 600 right after that.  I was dead by the end of the swim.  The only difference between my workout and a sprint was the longer bike and the order of things.  No wonder they do the swim first.  if they did it last there would be a lot of deaths by drowning.  It felt like a whole new level of training.  Sunday it took everything I had just to mow the lawn.  I missed an 8 mile run and I could not get up this morning to do a 2,100 swim workout.  I am starting to think that a HIM in September in steamy hot Augusta Georgia may not be best if I am having these issues now.  I have not even done an Oly yet.  Anyway I will keep plugging away and hope eveyone else does also.

Take Care
Tom

PS.  Does anyone here ever camp or go to NC.  I have 3 acres in the deep mountians there close to the nantahala           outdoor center.  Maybe in the Fall after all this tri madness we could try a get together and camp out for a few days.  Anyone game?

Edited by Tkimble01 2010-05-24 7:57 AM
2010-05-24 9:28 AM
in reply to: #2877106

User image

Expert
NW NJ
sungirl919 - 2010-05-23 9:46 PM -scream of frustration-

Can't this weekend be over yet??????  I just found out from some local BT friends of mine that the company setting up my first tri (Komen tri for the cure) is closing up shop and cancelling all their races!!!!!  Already paid, hoping to get a refund, need to look for another to substitute.  I have worked to hard for this!!!

Losing my motivation very quickly...
2010-05-24 9:28 AM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Robin,  1st, my heart breaks everytime I hear of someone losing a beloved pet.  My friend lost her yellow lab last month and my family's cat of 16 years just passed 2 weeks ago.  Honestly I take loss of human life easier than that of a pet.  I feel your pain and am very sorry to hear of your loss.  Take your time to grieve and reflect on the amazing times I'm sure you've had with your puppy, they will always be puppies no matter how old they are. 

re Race: Are you kidding?  Keep your head up. Things happen for a reason, wait until you get official word before getting too upset about it, keep up your level of training! 

Edited by mchubri` 2010-05-24 9:35 AM
2010-05-24 9:53 AM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
sungirl919 - 2010-05-23 6:46 PM -scream of frustration-

Can't this weekend be over yet??????  I just found out from some local BT friends of mine that the company setting up my first tri (Komen tri for the cure) is closing up shop and cancelling all their races!!!!!  Already paid, hoping to get a refund, need to look for another to substitute.  I have worked to hard for this!!!

Losing my motivation very quickly...

Ugh, what a string of horrible things!  I'm so sorry. 

But keep at it!  Think of all the fitness and base you've gained since you started training.  Even if the race does end up getting canceled, think of the training you've done so far as your base training.  Find another race, and if its later in the season, know that you will be faster and better prepared for it because of the training you've done so far. 
2010-05-24 10:02 AM

User image

Expert
NW NJ

I'm going to adapt Ronda and Chrissy's method of relpying here by using the @...

@Tom, I'm in, thanks for adding me.  I can check in now.  Hell-of-a workout this weekend!  After my Oly this weekend, I would definitly suggest running one prior to your HIM, but don't give up on it.  If you can put the time and dedication into your training you can do it! 

@A Fish Called Ronda: It seems to me like you are on the brink of, or have had a breakthrough in your running.  Keep at it!  I find that when at a breakthrough point, push yourself a little harder over the next few workouts to ensure you get over that mountain, then keep up the intensity and energy moving forward to ensure you progress and begin to climb the next mountain.  20lbs to Garmin, go get you some Gadgets! 

@Chrissy: You know what, more often than not I leave Dr.'s offices feeling like nothing got solved. RICE, PT sound like a good plan.  Test the leg after 2 weeks and see how it feels.

@Noel: 215 huh?  F'n AMAZING!

@all:  So, I raced yesterday.  Saturday morning, I followed my PT's advice and headed out for an easy 2 mile run to test the knee, I couldn't even get 1 mile out.  Stiffness, pain, I had to stop.  Hopped on the bike to spin it out and keep it warm, still not good.  I was sure I wasn't running on Sunday.  4am Sunday morning, my alarm goes off, I hop out of bed and immediatly take stock of the knee.  No Stiffness, no pain, full range of motion, no tenderness, it was amazing.  When I got onsight, I did a quick warmup jog with absolutely no problems, rode over to transition with no problems.  I actually began looking for pain, stiffness, etc and couldn't find it.  The Race Day Gods shined down upon me! 

The race was good, not great, not bad, but good for me.  I got through it no worse for wear which it the most important.  I ripped the crap out of my wetsuit before the swim, nice 6-8inch gash in the calf.  REHYDRATE YOUR WETSUITS BEFORE YOU USE THEM FOR THE 1ST TIME OF THE SEASON!  I didn't do this even though I knew I was supposed to and now I have to get this thing fixed!  My swim was good 1500m in a little over 27min.  The Bike course kicked my A$$!  1600 feet of climbing.  The hilly bike and not running for 2 weeks made my 10K dreadful.  It was painful, not in the knee, just overall and slow.  I had no gas, no umph, no speed, couldn't even sprint the finish, BUT I got through it and realize I have a lot of hard work to do before my next OLY in July.  I will write up a full race report soon and share with you guys. 

I am going for 1 more PT session today and then I will scale back and resume mu regularly scheduled training. 

My training goal for this week is 7.5hrs. 

What is everyone up to this week? 

Edited by mchubri` 2010-05-24 10:05 AM

2010-05-24 11:09 AM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
Brain, nicely done!  Its amazing that you were able to get through your Olympic even with the injury.  Regardless of time or not being able to sprint to the finish, it is a huge accomplishment that you pushed through (with less training than you have liked) and still finished.  Very inspirational! 

My training plan calls for 7.5 hours of swim, bike, and run this week.  It will be the 2nd longest week of the entire plan (a repeat of two weeks ago) and I plan to crush it!  I already knocked out my long bike for the week (2 hours 18 mins) yesterday.  It always feels really nice to have my long work out done on Sunday so that its behind me!

2010-05-24 12:06 PM

User image

Veteran
I'm still tweaking a new training plan, but so far, I have about 14 hours scheduled for this week. 

Bike - 100 miles/8 hours
Swim - 2800m/2.5 hrs
Walk -  5m/1 hours (I'll walk with the people in our group that can't do the run)
Weights - 2.5 hours
2010-05-24 5:41 PM

Ok, the 2 runs caught up to me today, legs were stiff and tired, but I half-assed a little run...will try to go back out tonite.  Tip of the day:  when they are putting the chemicals in the pool, don't swim.  I can still taste the chalky, weird, chemically taste.  I spent more time spitting than swimming.  The planned 3500m turned into 2700m. 

@ Brian...Way to go on making the race no matter what!  Boo on the wetsuit ripping.  Good for you for gutting it out and finishing.

@Tom...I got tired reading about your workout!  Thanks for the words of encouragement too,  I appreciate them.  Some days I think I'm banging my head against a wall and other days, I think I'm unstoppable! 

Ok so the biggie goal this week is to be CONSISTENT with the running...to run 3 days and to hopefully do 8 miles for the week! 

I'd be happy to ride my bike 1 time and I'd be positively thrilled to do it 2 times this week.

Swim...at least 3 times, don't really have a distance goal...maybe 7 miles?

Other stuff...elliptical a few times this week, hopefully ride the horse a few times, tkd will only be once since we have to go to a school function for the kid on Thurs.

Have a great week!
Ronda

Edited by Swimfreak17 2010-05-24 5:52 PM
2010-05-24 8:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Hey all
I feel as if I am walking around in a daze since the event I was training for seems to be cancelled.  It was the Columbus Oly.  I now will re-adjust my plan for whatever other event I chose.  To all those who had events scheduled with Fat Rabbit Racing I feel your pain.  Its like someone took the goal away althought they really did not.
Just A Little Venting
Tom
2010-05-24 9:47 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus
@Tom- I've been hearing good news about refunds.  They did not go out of business-just family/business issues... whatever that means.  I'll keep you updated.

@everyone who has struggled last week- Way to go!  Witnessing you go through tough times and frustrations and succeed has certainly given me encouragement.  I thank you all for the kind words and encouragement.  It's been a heck of a weekend.

On a positive note, it is my recovery week so that makes exercising a little more bearable with the current situations going on in my life.  I decided to do a TT for a 1600m swim again and I cut 4 minutes off of my time.  Having things to think about while swimming certainly helps! 

My goal this week is to just take life at an easier pace, not stress about my progress, enjoy the moment and smell the flowers as I run and bike, and find another race by the end of the month.

It's seems silly (since I have never personally met any of you) but I greatly appreciate each member of our group.  You are all wonderful people and it is a pleasure conversing with you.  I wish you all the best this week!

2010-05-25 7:28 AM
in reply to: #2879595

User image

Expert
NW NJ
What is with all these races being canceled? That really sucks, I would be furious! I'm sure someone will step up and replace these races in each respective city. Triathlete's are too determined and strong willed to just let an event drop off at this point in the season.

So I ran again last night, 3.5 miles and holy cow, It feels so unnatural to me. Although I was cruising at what should have been a comfortable pace, my HR was screaming and I had to remind my legs to move. What an odd feeling and only after 2 weeks of not running. I will keep at it and hopefully imy form and fittness will return soon and I hope with a vengeance.

Swam 2400 this morning and my goal for the week is to complete every workout on my plan.

Knee Is in good shape!

Any ideas for new discussions, motivational challenges, etc for the group?  I want to try to keep this group fresh and exciting, kinda like Cool & The Gang!  HA!

-Brian.

Edited by mchubri` 2010-05-25 8:44 AM
2010-05-25 8:56 AM
in reply to: #2879792

User image

Expert
NW NJ
sungirl919 - 2010-05-24 10:47 PM

My goal this week is to just take life at an easier pace, not stress about my progress, enjoy the moment and smell the flowers as I run and bike, and find another race by the end of the month.

It's seems silly (since I have never personally met any of you) but I greatly appreciate each member of our group.  You are all wonderful people and it is a pleasure conversing with you.  I wish you all the best this week!

I just wanted to reiterate these two wonderful points!  Or as they do here on the boards, a big X2

Tom: You camping offer is very generous!  I'm not much of a camper myself, a few bad experiences when I was a kid in boy scouts, but keep us posted if you pick dates in the fall.  I try to never say never and not let one bad experience ruin another.

-B
2010-05-26 1:46 AM

Awww, warm fuzzies all around...our group is so awesome!

@Tom, I do camp!  But, I live in california so I'm kinda far away.  Cool offer, it would be sooo fun!

Today was a no s/b/r day for me, today was a TKD night and a ride the PONY day.  Both went well, I had an awesome ride on my beast, he was on fire today, in a good way!  TKD was intense tonite, our master instructor was there tonite and he was on fire today too, in a I'm going to kick the classes' butt tonite!  Fun class but I was half wiped out and sweating after the warmup!  I got a nice compliment from him though on a new move he showed us so that made me feel good. 

Tomorrow I may try to get a short swim in the morning, an afternoon bike, and an evening run!  I can't go too many days thinking about running or I start building up to much nervousness and anxiety about how hard it will be...I'm better when I just put on my shoes and go!

Ronda

Edited by Swimfreak17 2010-05-26 1:48 AM
2010-05-26 10:49 AM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
@Tom, I love to camp as well.  But NC is a pretty far road trip from up here in Oregon.  Wish my family and I could make the trek, but I just don't think its in the cards!

So, I have been s/b/r ing like a maniac lately and it feels so good.  My B race is quickly coming up, its a 5K run, 18 mile road ride, and another 5K run.  That race is next Saturday.  Also, my big, A race (and first ever triathlon) is rapidly approaching as well.  I'm four weeks out from my inaugural triathlon event: Pacific Crest Olympic distance!  I am getting so excited!  However, I may have to call the race director and be removed from the Clydesdale division, because I only have 15 lbs to go to being under 200 lbs!

Oh, and I know that I have been training hard because of two things: 1.) my right nipple is chafed/cut to shreds from running so much (and it hurts like a bastard), and 2.) I found a huge blister on the bottom of my right foot this morning.  Oh, the joys of beating up your body!

I hope everyone is doing great this week and training hard.  Keep at it!

Edited by n.k 2010-05-26 10:51 AM
2010-05-26 11:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Hey guys, been MIA for a bit.  I (and the whole family) got pretty sick a couple weeks back, was not pretty.  Knocked me out of my routine for a few days feeling bad, then a couple more days with my turn taking care of the family, wife was pretty bad too.  Anyway, back at it.  I have a 5k this Saturday which I will not "race."  My girls are doing their first 5k so I will be running at their pace, they are excited.  My boy (5 yo) will be doing the 2k with my wife.  I have a tri on June 27th so I am getting motivated again to start hitting all of my training sessions.

Races getting cancelled blows.  Sorry to hear it for you guys. 

2010-05-26 3:06 PM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Welcome Back Justin, Glad to hear you and your family are doing better. 

Has anyone seen my running MoJo?  I can't find it anywhere!
2010-05-26 3:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Hey all

Been off for three days and feeling it.  Am going to run 4 miles tonight with wife and son then head for a 1,000 - 1,500 yard swim or 20 mile bike.  My choice since my official BT training plan was for the Oly that got cancelled.  I have been a little down because My plan was great going from the Oly training plan to the Oly then right into the HIm training plan for the Sept HIM.  It is hard now to try to find an Oly to do where I have ample time to go into the HIM plan.  I can do an Oly next week but I am not sure that would be so smart.  My only other option is to start a 12 week plan for the HIM and do an Oly somewhere in between. Anyway I will let you know what I decide to do.
Hope all is well with everyone and thanks for all the encouragement.  We are an awesome group.
Tom 
2010-05-26 3:42 PM
in reply to: #2884159

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Tkimble01 - 2010-05-26 4:15 PM Hey all

Been off for three days and feeling it.  Am going to run 4 miles tonight with wife and son then head for a 1,000 - 1,500 yard swim or 20 mile bike.  My choice since my official BT training plan was for the Oly that got cancelled.  I have been a little down because My plan was great going from the Oly training plan to the Oly then right into the HIm training plan for the Sept HIM.  It is hard now to try to find an Oly to do where I have ample time to go into the HIM plan.  I can do an Oly next week but I am not sure that would be so smart.  My only other option is to start a 12 week plan for the HIM and do an Oly somewhere in between. Anyway I will let you know what I decide to do.
Hope all is well with everyone and thanks for all the encouragement.  We are an awesome group.
Tom 

Tom, "they" say that you should train for your big race and pepper in your other races during the plan.  That is what I'm doing.  I am on a HIM plan and using my other tri's as the long workouts for that given week.  The only downside I see to this is no tapers for the other races, but if your main goal for the season is to do the HIM, I'd say train for the HIM.  Especially now since your oly got canceled.  Just my $0.02 (I'd like some change please)

2010-05-26 8:35 PM

@ Justin, sorry you had a rough few weeks, glad you're back!

@ Brian, there's running mojo?  Where can I buy some?

Ok swim got done this morning but .... I had to pass on the bike because I discovered f'ing gophers in my front yard and I had to engage them in battle.  2 hours later, I did not kill or even see a single gopher, should have ridden the bike afterall.  Decided to quit dreading the run and just go.  Same route as last week, 3.42 (the 2 is near and dear to me, I'll take all the mileage I can get) miles.  Did it in 53 and 51 minutes last week, would be happy around those same times.  I did it in 52:28 according to the actual time I left and got back.  My iphone app, runkeeper, had it at 49 minutes but it was also short on the distance so I think it got paused when someone texted me.  Too bad tho, I would have been uber stoked to be under 50 minutes.

I'm pretty happy about my week so far!

Ronda
2010-05-26 9:54 PM
in reply to: #2884816

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
Ronda- I used something like this two summers ago to humanly get rid of a gopher (or mole- not sure which is which) burrowing in my lawn.  I stuck it in my lawn and then waited by a hole with a shovel and milk crate.  And I didn't move at all, because I heard that they can hear our steps above ground.  I got super, super lucky, and sure as heck after 15 minutes of waiting (without moving!) the gopher popped up through the hole I was waiting by.  I quickly scooped it up w/ my shovel and put in the milk crate.  Then I released it in the woods.  Essentially, I got crazy lucky, but I caught the bastard w/ my bare hands!

Click here for a pic of the little guy.

2010-05-27 11:15 AM
in reply to: #2884816

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Swimfreak17

Decided to quit dreading the run and just go

Way to get it done.  I will dread the run sometimes too, but then when I just knock it out I am always glad I did.
2010-05-27 2:03 PM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
All this Gopher talk has got me wanting to watch the Caddyshack movies! 

What is everyone doing for the holiday weekend? Any big plans? 

I'm heading down to the Jersey Shore tonight (just for the record, it is nothing like what is portrayed by those D-bags on TV!)  through Monday to my inlaws house.  My future brother-in law just got a road bike, so I plan on taking him out for his 1st 2hr jaunt tomorrow morning.  Big BBQ on Saturday, so I am planning to get up early for an hour run + 30 min bike, eat and most likely have a few drinks, or maybe more than a few. It's been a while since I caught a buzz, so it may be time, and we'll have a babysitter so my wife and I can let loose together, a true rarity! (I plan on getting her drunk, shhhh!) Sunday is a planned off day, or maybe bonus workout day for me, we'll see.  Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to it!   

I hope everyone has a great weekend! Have fun, let loose and as the race director at my race said last Sunday, "Celebrate Your Training"  In moderation of course!  Enjoy!

-Brian
2010-05-27 3:20 PM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
Well, my 'weekend' is starting early.  I've got a meeting this afternoon with some colleagues who are good friends and we plan on cracking a few open.  Then I head home to watch the Suns game with a friend of mine and surely we'll have a few more.  I'm planning on 'letting my hair down' for the first time in a while tonight.  Then I plan on spending some quality time with the family this weekend.  I'll still get in all my workouts, but it'll be nice to have an extra day to spend with the fam.

Oh, and Sunday night the wife and I are going to see Band of Horses and She & Him in concert.  We are really looking forward to it!
2010-05-27 5:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

Looking forward to the weekend, mine lays out as follows:

Friday: brick (bike/run), no class (furlough day for Cal State), dentist appt
Saturday: short bike, volunteer at soccer sign-ups, dinner with the family
Sunday: 5k with my girls, adult kickball after the 5k (hopefully we don't go shopping instead, I really want to get my kickball on, seriously, how long has it been since you played kickball? long time for me)
Monday: long bike, BBQ of some sort

Will sprinkle some Stanley Cup Finals in there too.

Everybody have a fun and safe weekend.

Edited by cjhild 2010-05-27 5:24 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27