BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-06-17 4:10 PM
in reply to: #2923813

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: amschrod's mentor group - FULL
wbayek - 2010-06-15 5:22 PM
Thanks Anthony.  I think I have some goals for this weekend.  It was a little tough since:
  1. It's not a big race for me and I'm training for long course, not speed.
  2. The bike course is apparently quite dastardly according to a few folks I've talked to - only 5% of the riders have been 19+ on this 12 mile course the past 2 years.
  3. The run course is a lot of trail run with stumps, roots, etc.
  4. I know my transitions will be slow given that I'm practicing my 70.3 transition plan.  I'm wearing socks, changing shorts and shirts, using my comfy cycling shoes.
Ok, so now that all my excuses are in place - the whole thing worked out to 1:21:01 (Yes, the 1 second counts and yes, I'm a type A, at least for triathlon!).  So I'm on record.

Even though you are training distance and not speed I'll bet you will be a little faster than you think. You will have a little extra on the bike, and you will definitely be faster and stronger on the run.

I am no expert at trail running, but I have done some. Depending on how wild the trail is, not only do you have to watch your footing, but you also have to watch for low hanging branches. I know this from experience, unfortunately.

A type A triathlete, well that's unusual. I think you might be able to shave that one second by racing smart. You know, little things like pulling the top of your wetsuit down before you take your goggles off, or taking the very best line through turns on the run

That does sound like a great race. Good luck and have fun!

BTW everyone, pulling the top of your wetsuit down while running towards T1 before taking your goggles off is actually a good tip. If you take your goggles off first, you have to hold them and you will fumble with your wetsuit.

Anthony

2010-06-17 4:14 PM
in reply to: #2926743

User image

Expert
DannyK - 2010-06-16 7:38 PM Anthony:

Congratulations on your race time!  Happy for you that you can share the adventure with your son and his girlfriend....makes it that much more rewarding.

Dan

Thank you very much! It really was a good day. We didn't stay for the awards, but it turns out he was first in his AG. Since most of the better runners do the 10K there were only 3 men 20-24. One was a guy from Uganda who was the overall winner with a 15 something, so he was actually first of 2.
2010-06-18 5:33 AM
in reply to: #2774068

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Anthony, thanks for the tip on the wetsuit.  Unfortunately with the warm weather we are experiencing I believe the water temp will be too warm for wetsuits.  I was looking forward to racing in my wetsuit, but I don't think that will be the case.

I will take any other tips you may have for transitions. 

Warren's race is this weekend...Good Luck! looking forward to reading your race report.
2010-06-18 12:18 PM

User image

NH
Thanks all.  I'm looking forward to a fun race, and I'm looking forward to the moment I step out of the water!

Good tip on the goggles and wetsuit Anthony, and I also have to remember to actually remove my goggles eventually.  In my sprint last fall, I started out on the bike WEARING my goggles!  Don't even ask.  And yes, my normal sunglasses were on over them.  How's that for being out of it in T1?
2010-06-18 1:05 PM
in reply to: #2929552

User image

Expert
scott1223 - 2010-06-18 6:33 AM Anthony, thanks for the tip on the wetsuit.  Unfortunately with the warm weather we are experiencing I believe the water temp will be too warm for wetsuits.  I was looking forward to racing in my wetsuit, but I don't think that will be the case.

Boy has it been hot in Maryland! I read some of the race reports from Eagleman, and it sounds like the run was really hard. Fortunately, your run will be much better. I have never done a race without a wetsuit, but if I did I would wear my snuggest fitting tri top. This way you can wear it on the swim without extra drag in the water and not have to worry about putting it on in T1, because putting a tight shirt on a wet body is hard.

I will take any other tips you may have for transitions.

Your race is a little different than most since you have to rack your bike the night before, but my first tip for transitions is to get there early.  This gives you time not only to set up, but to scope out the entrances and exits so you know where you are going. Know where "swim in" is and how to get from there to where your rack is, your rack to "bike out", "bike in" to your rack, and your rack to "run out". Walk through, look for landmarks, and really familiarize yourself with the whole area so you don't get lost in the heat of the moment during a race.

As far as your setup goes, keep it simple! My setup is like this: Helmet upside down on the handlebars with sunglasses inside the helmet. Running shoes on the ground with race belt with number attached, and visor on top of the running shoes. If you don't have a race belt, I do recommend one because it makes everything simple. Bike shoes on the ground with socks inside plus a water bottle and towel for my feet.

I have tried going sockless but I don't like it. Also I am a freak about not having any little bit of sand or dirt on my feet. That's why I have the water bottle and towel to rinse and dry my feet a little. Wet feet can make it hard to put on your socks so what I do is put my socks on while setting up, and then instead of just pulling them off, I roll them down to about halfway down my foot, and then put them in my bike shoes rolled up like that.

That's a lot of words for something that's really simple, so here's what works for me step by step:

T1:
  1. Out of water, pull top of wetsuit down, then take off goggles while running to transition area.
  2. At the rack take off rest of wetsuit
  3. Rinse and wipe feet
  4. Put on socks and bike shoes
  5. Put on sunglasses and helmet and BUCKLE the helmet
  6. Take bike off rack
T2:
  1. Rack bike and helmet off
  2. Bike shoes off, running shoes on
  3. Put on visor and race belt WHILE RUNNING to the run exit

Anthony
2010-06-18 1:11 PM
in reply to: #2930439

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-06-18 1:18 PM Thanks all.  I'm looking forward to a fun race, and I'm looking forward to the moment I step out of the water!

Since I am a better cyclist than swimmer, I completely understand your feeling about getting out of the water! I am looking forward to hearing all about your race.

Good tip on the goggles and wetsuit Anthony, and I also have to remember to actually remove my goggles eventually.  In my sprint last fall, I started out on the bike WEARING my goggles!  Don't even ask.  And yes, my normal sunglasses were on over them.  How's that for being out of it in T1?

Sunglasses over your goggles? Any chance you have any pictures of that?

Anthony

2010-06-19 6:10 AM

User image

Wilmington NC
Have a great race!  I am a little jealous, I want to do a tri but have NO time to train right now.  I am still getting over being sick.  I hope to begin running again on tues.  I was going to try today but I cant stop coughing.  I figure if I am hacking up my lungs daily just sitting, I can only imagine  what a little running would do to me.  Summer is definately here in NC- hot and humid- 80 degrees at 5 am yesterday.  I dont know how people who exercise once the sun has come up do it.
On a different note, Erica went "swimming" in her froggy pool last weekend, She LOVED it- rolled right over on her belly and started kicking and splashing- might have  a future swimmer/triathlete in the making.  I will try to post a pic but I am not very succesful with that stuff.
Paula
2010-06-19 6:17 AM

User image

Wilmington NC
lets try that pic thing again!
2010-06-19 6:33 PM

User image

NH
1:24:17.  I was right on pace until the run, and it was slow not really because I was gassed but because it was a treacherous trail run and I went very cautiously.  Loads of fun, bike was brutal hills, learned a lot.  Race report later.  Thanks for all the encouragement.
2010-06-19 8:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Awesome Job!!!  Sounds like a fun race.  I was reading your post prior about having 2 times in your head.  As I was training this am I was thinking about that and if my race was today, I would have been way off my target mark.  Even though it was a good training ride/run my run is just slow. 

Looking forward to reading your race report.  Great job again!!

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO ALL!!!!!

Thanks Anthony for your tips.  As I was transitioning this am from bike to run I was thinking about how quickly I will be able to tie my shoes remember my race belt, visor, sunglasses and get my legs moving...LOL.  Looking forward to next Sun.  7 more days! 

Also on our bike ride this am we came upon a group who was doing the race across america.  They were just finishing their race in Annapolis, MD from Calif.  they left last Sat.  they were riding 500mi per day. They had 4 vans and everything you could imagine on each van.  Good group of guys. We rode with them approx. 7mi and then broke off to finish our ride.

Edited by scott1223 2010-06-19 8:35 PM
2010-06-20 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2931455

User image

Expert
Roadtoad22 - 2010-06-19 7:10 AM Have a great race!  I am a little jealous, I want to do a tri but have NO time to train right now.  I am still getting over being sick.  I hope to begin running again on tues.  I was going to try today but I cant stop coughing.  I figure if I am hacking up my lungs daily just sitting, I can only imagine  what a little running would do to me.  Summer is definately here in NC- hot and humid- 80 degrees at 5 am yesterday.  I dont know how people who exercise once the sun has come up do it.

Hacking up your lungs while trying to run would be bad, especially with the heat and humidity. Hope you are feeling better soon!

On a different note, Erica went "swimming" in her froggy pool last weekend, She LOVED it- rolled right over on her belly and started kicking and splashing- might have  a future swimmer/triathlete in the making.  I will try to post a pic but I am not very succesful with that stuff.

We definitely need to see some pictures of baby girl Erica swimming. What I do to post a picture is put it in my album, then open the picture, right click, choose properties, then copy and paste the image location info into the insert image dialog box.

Anthony

2010-06-20 11:02 AM
in reply to: #2932036

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-06-19 7:33 PM 1:24:17.  I was right on pace until the run, and it was slow not really because I was gassed but because it was a treacherous trail run and I went very cautiously.  Loads of fun, bike was brutal hills, learned a lot.  Race report later.  Thanks for all the encouragement.

Nice job! Trail running can be tricky; I saw 2 people fall on the trail run at my last race. I am looking forward to your race report.
2010-06-20 11:32 AM
in reply to: #2932111

User image

Expert
scott1223 - 2010-06-19 9:31 PM Awesome Job!!!  Sounds like a fun race.  I was reading your post prior about having 2 times in your head.  As I was training this am I was thinking about that and if my race was today, I would have been way off my target mark.  Even though it was a good training ride/run my run is just slow.

I checked your log, and I think you had a pretty good run. You will most likely be faster on race day. Between having rested a couple of days, and the adrenaline boost from the excitement of the race, you will be running faster.

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO ALL!!!!!

Thanks, and Happy Father's day to you, too!

Thanks Anthony for your tips.  As I was transitioning this am from bike to run I was thinking about how quickly I will be able to tie my shoes remember my race belt, visor, sunglasses and get my legs moving...LOL.  Looking forward to next Sun.  7 more days!

Don't worry about it; I am a little uncoordinated and easily flustered, and I can transition smoothly, so you will do fine. As far as tying your shoes goes, I use Yankz, and so do lots of other triathletes. I probably wouldn't make a change so close to race day, but something to think about in the future.

I am looking forward to next weekend also. I have my first tri of the season, and you and Bill both have your very first tris.  I am even more psyched about your guys' first races than I am for my own race, and believe me, I am very stoked to race again!

Also on our bike ride this am we came upon a group who was doing the race across america.  They were just finishing their race in Annapolis, MD from Calif.  they left last Sat.  they were riding 500mi per day. They had 4 vans and everything you could imagine on each van.  Good group of guys. We rode with them approx. 7mi and then broke off to finish our ride.

That is very cool!

Anthony
2010-06-21 5:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Being this is the last week before the race. What do you guys/girls do for training?  I am thinking just taking it easy.  No big training days, doing a couple of small runs, bikes and easy swim. 

Received a update from the race group.  Said the water temp was 77degrees as of last Wed.  Wetsuits will be allowed, so far.  I justed looked at the forcast this week...Temps in the 90's.  So much for wearing a wetsuit. 

I hope everyone enjoyed your Fathers Day. 
2010-06-21 11:18 AM

User image

NH
Race report is up.  Kind of thin.

The bad news is more adversity hit yesterday.  I broke the toe right next to my big toe.  Doc says no big deal since it's just the very end, and shouldn't affect alignment or anything.  I'm cleared to train as pain tolerates after another day of RICE.  Looks worse than it is, but it hurts quite a bit to walk today.

Scott, if it's a race you plan on really racing, yo should definitely dial back the volume the week of a race and maybe do some very short work but keep the intensity up.

Edited by wbayek 2010-06-21 11:40 AM
2010-06-21 2:49 PM

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
It has been a while since i checked in and you guys and gals are really going strong!  I feel like my season is already over.  With two tris in May there isn't much more for me until September.  I did volunteer at a local tri two weeks ago.  Got to direct bikers on both the sprint and oly races.  It was very interesting watching the expressions as they passed our corner after climbing one of many hills. 

One thing that I read you discussing was taking the goggles off after pulling your wetsuit down to your waist.  If you are wearing a wetsuit with sleeves you can take your cap and goggles off, pull your arm through the sleeve and when your hand gets to just below where your elbow normally is release the goggles and cap.  They will stay in the arm of the wetsuit.  I did this at my first wetsuit tri and it worked great.  After the race I picked up my wetsuit, turned the sleeves inside out and out dropped goggles and cap.  Just a suggestion so you don't have to carry them at all. 

2010-06-21 10:06 PM
in reply to: #2933401

User image

Expert
scott1223 - 2010-06-21 6:15 AM Being this is the last week before the race. What do you guys/girls do for training?  I am thinking just taking it easy.  No big training days, doing a couple of small runs, bikes and easy swim.

I agree with Warren; cut down on the volume but you can consider adding some intensity. The week before a race, on one of my rides I will hit the hills a little harder than usual. My routes have short, sorta steep hills, so that's my way of doing intervals on the bike. I'll also do one tempo run on Thursday before a Sunday race with a mile warm up, 2-3 miles at a faster pace, maybe a little slower than 10K race pace, and then a mile cool down. I will also do one regular ride, and two 3 mile runs at my normal training pace.

I always take the Friday before a Sunday race off, and try to get a good night sleep on Friday night. On Saturday I like to do a little of each: 20 minutes very easy bike, 10 minutes very easy run, and 10 minutes very easy swim. I don't think that the run or swim are that important, but I do think it's a good idea to ride your bike to make sure there are no mechanical issues.

Received a update from the race group.  Said the water temp was 77degrees as of last Wed.  Wetsuits will be allowed, so far.  I justed looked at the forcast this week...Temps in the 90's.  So much for wearing a wetsuit.

Your swimming has been consistently improving, so you will do well. We'll talk some more about the swim a little later in the week.

Anthony
2010-06-22 9:28 AM
in reply to: #2934218

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-06-21 12:18 PM Race report is up.  Kind of thin.

Good race, and good race report. Sounds like a fun event.

The bad news is more adversity hit yesterday.  I broke the toe right next to my big toe.  Doc says no big deal since it's just the very end, and shouldn't affect alignment or anything.  I'm cleared to train as pain tolerates after another day of RICE.  Looks worse than it is, but it hurts quite a bit to walk today.

Ouch! So how's it feeling today? Are you able to swim at least? Hope the swelling isn't too bad.

Anthony
2010-06-22 9:53 AM
in reply to: #2934942

User image

Expert
triton63 - 2010-06-21 3:49 PM It has been a while since i checked in and you guys and gals are really going strong!  I feel like my season is already over.  With two tris in May there isn't much more for me until September.  I did volunteer at a local tri two weeks ago.  Got to direct bikers on both the sprint and oly races.  It was very interesting watching the expressions as they passed our corner after climbing one of many hills.

Hey Calvin, good to hear from you!  Very nice that you volunteered. I always try to have a good word for the volunteers. They are out here for a long time, and it has got to be pretty tiring towards the end.

One thing that I read you discussing was taking the goggles off after pulling your wetsuit down to your waist.  If you are wearing a wetsuit with sleeves you can take your cap and goggles off, pull your arm through the sleeve and when your hand gets to just below where your elbow normally is release the goggles and cap.  They will stay in the arm of the wetsuit.  I did this at my first wetsuit tri and it worked great.  After the race I picked up my wetsuit, turned the sleeves inside out and out dropped goggles and cap.  Just a suggestion so you don't have to carry them at all. 

That's an interesting idea. I may try it this weekend.

Anthony
2010-06-22 10:27 AM

User image

NH
I tried biking this morning but no go.  About 10 seconds into the ride it was obvious that the second toe plays at least a minor role.  The pain wasn't too bad but they told me to be careful so I'm being smart (for once) and I'm off to try a swim. 
2010-06-23 7:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Hey Warren,  Sorry to hear about your toe...hopefully you will be able to swim without too much pain.  Great job on your race.  They posted our wave groups: 45-49  in with the 20-24 group...who came up with that one?? I guess I will try and draft a fast 20yr old...lol.

I wanted to hit the bike hard this am, but a buddy, who is also racing wanted to go over his bike and ride with him.  I went out with him and rode a very slow pace.  I was able to hammer out a few times and left him behind, I felt bad leaving him so I would slow up and ride with him before taking off again. 

I know the course having riden it 2x already.  I know where I can hammer it out and make up ground I will lose on the swim/run.  Our wave doesn't start until 8:13am.  I was hoping for an earlier start, but thats where we are.  4 more days!!!

2010-06-23 10:00 AM

User image

NH
You sound pumped Scott.  Is this your first?  Enjoy it the whole way.  It looks like a huge BT contingent at that race.  I've never seen 20-24 in with the 45-49 crowd for the swim, I have to think there maybe aren't many 20-24s.  At my tri (a small local event) there were NO 20-24 male entries!

Good luck and have fun.
2010-06-23 3:57 PM

User image

NH
Per my race report, I decided to start swimming some longer non-stop distances.  I did 700 yards yesterday and planned 1000 today.

Well, after the 1000 I felt great and just decided to keep going.  So at 1250 I decided to keep going.  So I stayed after it and I finished my first mile non-stop!  Not fast, but I did finish with the fastest 100 the last 100.
2010-06-23 6:28 PM
in reply to: #2938182

User image

Expert
scott1223 - 2010-06-23 8:45 AM Hey Warren,  Sorry to hear about your toe...hopefully you will be able to swim without too much pain.  Great job on your race.  They posted our wave groups: 45-49  in with the 20-24 group...who came up with that one?? I guess I will try and draft a fast 20yr old...lol.

Warren's probably right about not too many 20-24 year olds. 45-49 men is a VERY competitive age group, so there will be some wicked fast guys in your wave with lots of drafting opportunities.  It is also usually a very big AG, so there will be a big range in abilities.

I wanted to hit the bike hard this am, but a buddy, who is also racing wanted to go over his bike and ride with him.  I went out with him and rode a very slow pace.  I was able to hammer out a few times and left him behind, I felt bad leaving him so I would slow up and ride with him before taking off again.

Nice that you have a buddy to ride with. Since you were able to hammer some, you did a little bit of an interval workout which is good right before a race.

I know the course having riden it 2x already.  I know where I can hammer it out and make up ground I will lose on the swim/run.  Our wave doesn't start until 8:13am.  I was hoping for an earlier start, but thats where we are.  4 more days!!!

Knowing the course is a really big advantage for you. I like an early start myself. Although, since my race starts at 6:30, I may question my judgment when the alarm goes off at 3:30 Sunday morning

Anthony
2010-06-23 6:33 PM
in reply to: #2939734

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-06-23 4:57 PM Per my race report, I decided to start swimming some longer non-stop distances.  I did 700 yards yesterday and planned 1000 today.

Well, after the 1000 I felt great and just decided to keep going.  So at 1250 I decided to keep going.  So I stayed after it and I finished my first mile non-stop!  Not fast, but I did finish with the fastest 100 the last 100.

WOO-HOO!! Congrats on your first mile. Good to see that you were able swim with your broken toe. I get the same thing with swimming where I feel stronger towards the end. Maybe due to the good aerobic base you have from all the riding and running you have been doing. Whatever the reason it feels good, doesn't it?

Anthony
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24