2010-06-23 10:42 AM
in reply to: #2938429

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
Subject: RE: BHannahs's Group - FULL!
acv - 2010-06-23 9:04 AM

So what’s your favorite discipline?

I love the water, fishing, boating, scuba diving and just lounging at the beach. Swimming has always been a part of my life and I really like it. I really enjoy biking too. I like the speed and distance you can achieve. But hands down it’s running for me. It’s the most rewarding and enjoyable of the three for me.

I as well like to swim, always have and love the solidarity of running. When i am running i seem to get lost in the silence and forget about all my problems. I will say however is that the bike is my favorite, i love the speed and freedom, I also love the look of the bikes and gear.

2010-06-23 10:43 AM
in reply to: #2937790

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
2010-06-23 11:19 AM
in reply to: #2780242

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Out of the three, I prefer the bike - not coincidentally, it's also the one that I am best at.    I have an on-again, off-again relationship with running.  My enjoyment of it depends on how I am doing during a given period.  Thus far, this has not been my year with running.  I just haven't been able to get back in a groove with it since IMAZ last year, although there have been some great runs in there - just not consistent.  Swimming has grown on me over the last four years.  I have come to enjoy the training even though I struggle in open water sometimes.  I guess for me, my enjoyment of the discipline is really tied into how proficient I feel at it at a given time.  Hmmm.... 

2010-06-23 12:16 PM
in reply to: #2938948

User image

Regular
Swimming probably will always be my be my bread and butter!  I love it, I've always been rather good at it(reserving judgement on how well I do in open water) and it's always been very antural to me. 

Running - I hate it, but I do it, and I try my best to not complain.  Thank goodness it's last and I'll be able to tell myself it's all I have left and talk my way through it.  It's getting easier and I'm looking forward to speeding up a bit over the longer distances!

Biking - Total newbie, but I'm really enjoying it.  I look forward to every ride, it seems more social, which I like....and there seems to be a nice group of people in the area and I have a good in with them, so now I just need to get better, and a little faster(to be able to keep up).

Overall, I'm completely digging the combination of all the activities, and looking forward to the sense of accomplishment that is going to come when I cross that finish line the first time. 

SO I guess the short answer is Swim (at least for now)
2010-06-24 11:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

How many miles does it take you before you feel like you are up to speed and ready to go?

On some rare occasions I’m good to go from the start and I love those days. But usually I find on the run it takes 2 miles before my body and mind are into it. The bike takes me about 6 miles sometimes.

Today I was really dragging on the bike and just couldn’t get it going so I ate a cliff bar at the 8 mile mark – I felt so much better after that. I love my Bento Box. Laughing

Edited by acv 2010-06-24 11:37 AM
2010-06-24 12:10 PM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Running - if I'm going to have it click in, it usually takes about 3/4 mile - 1 mile.  Other times, the entire run can be like going through quicksand. 

On the bike, I usually consider the first 10-15 minutes a warmup time.  However, with each passing year, it seems to be taking a little longer. 

Colder weather can impact both - as it gets warmer, I tend to feel better a little quicker.

2010-06-24 12:22 PM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
takes me about 200 yards to get myself into the swimming, the biking i am pretty much good from the start, but at time find that at about 1 to 2 miles into it i am hitting my perfect cadence and breathing is more regulated. As for the run it takes me about a half to 1 mile to get my mind settled down and my focus honed in. 
2010-06-24 3:29 PM
in reply to: #2934865

Congratulations on finsihing!! Sounds like you did a great job.  I hate the heat and humidity.  I see you are in the KC area and it can't be any better than it is in StL.  Miserable about sums it up. 

2010-06-25 9:21 AM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
So anyone have big plans this weekend or whats on the training schedule? I will be doing some brick workouts tomorrow am (35 miles on the bike, followed by a 6 mile run) while getting ready to host a BBQ for our softball team. Smoking some Babybacks, Brisket, burnt ends, salmon and chicken, if your in the neighborhood stop by! Sunday will be a 45 to 55 mile ride, maybe a few running miles afterward. 
2010-06-25 10:00 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Sounds like a great time, Dave - wish I were closer!    It's a light week for me - a short bike and swim tomorrow, and a mid-length run on Sunday.  Still trying to make sure my calf is okay.  Hopefully, it's back to regularly scheduled programming next week.

2010-06-25 10:09 AM

User image

Regular
First Sprint tri this weekend.  Looking at is as a training day and hoping to finish under 3 hours(mile lake swim, 12 mile bike, and a 5K trail run). 

Other than that, relaxing with friends and family and spending the rest of the weekend taking my dog dock jumping!

2010-06-25 11:25 AM
in reply to: #2943532

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
DaisyzMom - 2010-06-25 11:09 AM First Sprint tri this weekend.  Looking at is as a training day and hoping to finish under 3 hours(mile lake swim, 12 mile bike, and a 5K trail run). 

Other than that, relaxing with friends and family and spending the rest of the weekend taking my dog dock jumping!

Good luck Carly!
2010-06-25 2:57 PM
in reply to: #2943398

Dave- Your weekend sounds great.  More the BBQ than running and riding in the heat and humidity. Embarassed  I hope to swim/layout by the pool on Saturday and relax.  Hubby and I are volunteering at a local bike race on Sunday. 
2010-06-26 9:31 PM

User image

Regular
Ok, I finished, 5th female, 16th overall.  I beat 3 of 4 teams and I was the number 2 female going into the run.  Felt great on the (not a mile) more like less than a half mile swim.  Lake was clean and I only had one mishap with someone and she ran into me.  Bike went well and I passed a few people on the bike, got passed a few times too.  ANd then the run happened(or sort of run/walk)  I walked way more than I wanted to but it was hot, I was tired, and I did the best I could and still finish.

I had a blast and finished middle of the pack.  Not too shabby!  Now I know how much I need to work on my running...it was definitely my weakness!!!

Enjoy your Sundays!!!!

2010-06-27 6:44 AM
in reply to: #2945956

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

DaisyzMom - 2010-06-26 7:31 PM Ok, I finished, 5th female, 16th overall.  I beat 3 of 4 teams and I was the number 2 female going into the run.  Felt great on the (not a mile) more like less than a half mile swim.  Lake was clean and I only had one mishap with someone and she ran into me.  Bike went well and I passed a few people on the bike, got passed a few times too.  ANd then the run happened(or sort of run/walk)  I walked way more than I wanted to but it was hot, I was tired, and I did the best I could and still finish.

I had a blast and finished middle of the pack.  Not too shabby!  Now I know how much I need to work on my running...it was definitely my weakness!!!

Enjoy your Sundays!!!!

Wow - GREAT race, Carly!!!  5th female overall is a fantastic day!!!  Congratulations!!!

2010-06-27 11:25 AM
in reply to: #2946143

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
BHannahs - 2010-06-27 6:44 AM

DaisyzMom - 2010-06-26 7:31 PM Ok, I finished, 5th female, 16th overall.  I beat 3 of 4 teams and I was the number 2 female going into the run.  Felt great on the (not a mile) more like less than a half mile swim.  Lake was clean and I only had one mishap with someone and she ran into me.  Bike went well and I passed a few people on the bike, got passed a few times too.  ANd then the run happened(or sort of run/walk)  I walked way more than I wanted to but it was hot, I was tired, and I did the best I could and still finish.

Enjoy your Sundays!!!!

Wow - GREAT race, Carly!!!  5th female overall is a fantastic day!!!  Congratulations!!!

Carly, what a great job!!!! outstanding finish and way to place!!! sounds like you took a lot away from the event and the race which is good. You will do 100x better next time with everything you learned. Again, fantastic job! 

2010-06-27 2:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Very impressive Carly! Well done.
2010-06-30 9:51 AM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
Well its Wednesday, any big plans for the weekend? I have some long rides and runs planned along with a trip to see my grandmother. No more BBQ for a while, was good, but after cooking it, cant stand the smell or taste of it, and doesnt usually behave well on the subsequent bike rides or runs, i know, imagine that. 
2010-06-30 9:54 AM

User image

Regular
Another dockdogs weekend for me.  I'll be staying at my parent's house so eating will not be a problem(I hope!) and I'll be able to get some runs in this weekend before leaving for the event each day.

Plan to ride Friday night with the group, weather permitting. 
2010-07-01 7:54 AM
in reply to: #2952903

User image

Regular
Ok, I admit, I have a little problem. When it comes to doing things I have two modes.  Procrastinate or go for it.  Calling in a little bit to see if there is still room in a rpint tri in my hometown this weekend.  It's a 300 yard downstream river swim, a 10 mile bike ride and a 5K run on one of those rails to trails program 'passages'.  I hope I can get in, great practice and a great way to make myself train this weekend. 

-Carly
2010-07-01 8:03 AM
in reply to: #2952894

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
dmwill37 - 2010-06-30 10:51 AM Well its Wednesday, any big plans for the weekend? I have some long rides and runs planned along with a trip to see my grandmother. No more BBQ for a while, was good, but after cooking it, cant stand the smell or taste of it, and doesnt usually behave well on the subsequent bike rides or runs, i know, imagine that. 

Gonna be playing catch up on work outs. My family has been camping this week at a state park near my work. Sleeping for me has been hit or miss so I've been tired and not motivated. It takes me a night or two to adjust to sleeping in the tent. Also my Mother went into the hospitol the other day so I'm a little distracted with that. I've gotten my runs and bike rides in but I'm behind on the swims. Maybe I'll get a run in tonight and a swim in tomorrow morning. Or just start fresh in the morning and double up on the swims at night for a couple days.

Not the week I wanted that's for sure!

PS I registered yesterday for a sprint in Oct! I'm gonna just try and relax and enjoy that one - it's the last race for the season around here.

Edited by acv 2010-07-01 8:07 AM

2010-07-01 8:29 AM
in reply to: #2955220

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
DaisyzMom - 2010-07-01 7:54 AM Ok, I admit, I have a little problem. When it comes to doing things I have two modes.  Procrastinate or go for it.  Calling in a little bit to see if there is still room in a rpint tri in my hometown this weekend.  It's a 300 yard downstream river swim, a 10 mile bike ride and a 5K run on one of those rails to trails program 'passages'.  I hope I can get in, great practice and a great way to make myself train this weekend. 

-Carly

Sounds like a good time to me, and yeah, just use it as a training day. Let us know how it goes.  
2010-07-01 8:33 AM
in reply to: #2955239

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
acv - 2010-07-01 8:03 AM
dmwill37 - 2010-06-30 10:51 AM Well its Wednesday, any big plans for the weekend? I have some long rides and runs planned along with a trip to see my grandmother. No more BBQ for a while, was good, but after cooking it, cant stand the smell or taste of it, and doesnt usually behave well on the subsequent bike rides or runs, i know, imagine that. 

Gonna be playing catch up on work outs. My family has been camping this week at a state park near my work. Sleeping for me has been hit or miss so I've been tired and not motivated. It takes me a night or two to adjust to sleeping in the tent. Also my Mother went into the hospitol the other day so I'm a little distracted with that. I've gotten my runs and bike rides in but I'm behind on the swims. Maybe I'll get a run in tonight and a swim in tomorrow morning. Or just start fresh in the morning and double up on the swims at night for a couple days.

PS I registered yesterday for a sprint in Oct! I'm gonna just try and relax and enjoy that one - it's the last race for the season around here.

Sorry to hear about your mother, I hope she is ok, and gets better. My grandmother has been diagnosed with Leukemia and her blood counts are going through the roof. I understand how distracting it can be, but I am trying to use my workouts as therapy and a release from all the stress. 

We wish you all the best, and will keep you all in our thoughts.  
2010-07-01 8:56 AM
in reply to: #2955327

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

dmwill37 - 2010-07-01 6:33 AM
acv - 2010-07-01 8:03 AM

Sorry to hear about your mother, I hope she is ok, and gets better. My grandmother has been diagnosed with Leukemia and her blood counts are going through the roof. I understand how distracting it can be, but I am trying to use my workouts as therapy and a release from all the stress. 

We wish you all the best, and will keep you all in our thoughts.  

I second what Dave has said - our thoughts and sympathy are with you and your Mom. 

Sometimes, unfortunately, life puts training into perspective.  During this time, if you find that training makes you feel better and takes your mind off of things, by all means, get out there and do it.  However, don't beat yourself up if you don't train like you want to.  You've got more important things on your mind and more improtant obligations.

2010-07-01 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2955220

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

DaisyzMom - 2010-07-01 5:54 AM Ok, I admit, I have a little problem. When it comes to doing things I have two modes.  Procrastinate or go for it.  Calling in a little bit to see if there is still room in a rpint tri in my hometown this weekend.  It's a 300 yard downstream river swim, a 10 mile bike ride and a 5K run on one of those rails to trails program 'passages'.  I hope I can get in, great practice and a great way to make myself train this weekend. 

-Carly

It sounds like races and scheduled group training might be your best motivator - it's great when you can identify what gets you going.  Sign up for the race, use it as a social training day, and have a great time!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BHannahs's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 21