BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-05-11 9:31 PM
in reply to: #3435045

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
Subject: RE: BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE!

Hey everyone - FINALLY met up with my coach today. He wanted to see me swim so we met at the pool. He videotaped my swim and gave me feedback:

Strengths: Great rotation, head/body position, high elbows, only slight crossover on entry

Needs Improvement: I kick too much and too fast, slight crossover on entry, pushing down at beginning of pull, drop my opposing arm when breathing (dropping left arm when breathing to right, right when breathing to left). 

Overall, he said that he's pleased with my swim given that I'm self-taught. Doesn't seem to think I have a lot of work to do - we will tweak it here and there. He also has me working on sighting while in pool. This is more difficult than expected....he wants me to barely lift my eyes out of the water looking forward before turning my head to take a breath. 

Also, doing a happy dance. Since last July I've lost 42.7 lbs. I'm very pleased and am looking forward to losing another 20!

I race in a 10K this weekend, then two weeks afterwards is my first Oly. I'm excited! 

Edited by kickitinok 2011-05-11 9:33 PM

2011-05-11 9:35 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City

Steve -

Sorry about your ouchies. Hope everything works out for you. I insisted on an MRI on my back because I didn't want to be running with a bulging disk and permanently hurt myself resulting in life-long pain even when not doing triathlon. Turns out everything looks good. Hope it does for you, too!

2011-05-11 9:37 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City

Veronica and Jeff -

Thanks for the input on my HR monitor. I thought maybe I was taching out or something....lol. I'm glad to know it's interference!

2011-05-12 6:05 AM
in reply to: #3494108

User image

Champion

JESSICA -

I stand corrected! A couple of times yesterday, thinking about what I wrote to you, i thought "Yeah, she must be a great kicker"......but I guess not. In that event, probably two-beat is best, and for the reason you suggest -- too much drag. When I try to kick efficiently, I try to kick less -- closer to 2-beat than more-beat, seeing as how I can't figure out how to count those!

One way to test your potential to kick well is to check your ankle flexion. Can you plantar-flex well, or are you more inclined to dorsiflexion? If you don't know what this mean, for plantarflexion, think of a ballerina en pointe. The opposite of that can best be seen by sitting on the floor, back erect, legs straight out.....and your toes should be pointing at the ceiling. That is dorsiflexion.

People with good plantarflexion have the ability to kick really well -- or, at least, they aren't cursed with feet that can't move far from dorsiflexion, and thus hang down into the water and act as stiff rudders, almost. Sadly, I have poor ankle flexibility and can't plantarflex even remotely; hence, my kick is never going to fuly optimsal, even if I could manage to generate most of the power from my hips and glutes.

More later, about cadence!

Edited by stevebradley 2011-05-12 6:09 AM
2011-05-12 6:25 AM
in reply to: #3494770

User image

Champion

TRINA -

I don't know where to begin -- congrats on the swim session, or congrats on the 42.7*. I guess the second one is the more powerful of the two, given that it was all you doing it. Kudos!!

As for the swim session....he delivered! Those are very clear pointers, both the pros and the cons. My first comprehensive assessment came in my 6th season of triathlon, and the guy found seven "faults" in my mechanics, so be happy that you have less than that!

There's a big silly story about those faults and my attempts to correct them en masse, but the short form of the story is the important part --- don't try to improve them all at once. In fact, work on at most two of them in aany given swim sesssion, and don't try to do two at once -- spend 15 minutes, say, on one, and then a separate 15 minutes on the other later. If I can ever carve the time to relate that silly story I will do os, as it actually serves as a valuable (I think) object-lesson.

Also, see the comments above from Jessica and me about the kick. You sound like a third one of our ilk, kicking too hard and too fast.

When you say that he said your high elbows are a plus, I'm taking that to mean their position on the recovery. Yes? I say that because some of his perceived areas of improvement for you include your pull, and what you say indicates that your elbows drop during that phase. Join the club! That's alingering flaw for me, and one that I have worked intensively on this past winter to improve even more (I'm a slow study...... ).

Finally, what are the details on the 10km? Even it's name will do (I'll do the rest). Are you suitably excited? It'll be a great tune up, of course, for the oly run to follow very shortly!

*That's a bit over "metric marathon" weight loss, as a metric marathon is 42.2km.

2011-05-12 6:30 AM
in reply to: #3494528

User image

Champion

JEFF -

No needles, at least not yet. Yesterday was just a big assessment, and some head-scratching on his part. I hate it when that happens. I have this "team" of excellent people (sports doc, chiro, A.R.T., physio), and what is bothering me is something that doesn't seem easily-explainable to them. Uh-oh. Then again, I have a history of not "presenting" symptoms at all well, so this is just in keeping with me being a difficult patient. Bah.

2011-05-12 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3494993

User image

Expert
CenTex

All,

Apologies for having fallen off the map.  Been in Sweden/Denmark for the past couple of weeks and had little to no access to the interwebs and little inclination to search it out.  It was not a trip conducive to training but it was fun!  Now to get back at it as race day is 18 days out and I'm grossly unprepared at this point.

Hope everyone is well!

-George

2011-05-12 2:51 PM

Western Colorado

Is pain in the elbow indicative of a swimming technique problem?  I am developing some tendonitis in the back of my elbow and was just wondering if that is normal or if there might be something I need to correct in my stroke.  Anyone else have that problem?

Jessica

2011-05-12 3:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
kickitinok - 2011-05-11 9:31 PM Also, doing a happy dance. Since last July I've lost 42.7 lbs. I'm very pleased and am looking forward to losing another 20!

I race in a 10K this weekend, then two weeks afterwards is my first Oly. I'm excited! 

Whoa 42.7 lbs.  Good job. 

Good luck on your races.  My very 1st Oly is in 3 1/2 weeks so I'll be very interested in hearing how it goes for you.  Any tips from another Oly newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Denise

2011-05-12 5:47 PM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Good luck with the 10K this weekend and then on to bigger things!!!

kickitinok - 2011-05-11 10:31 PM

2011-05-12 9:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX

KERRI and SARAH, as promised, here is an example of a 1500 swim workout. I just picked 1500 since Kerri said she was swimming between 1200 and 1500 and I think Sarah's logs showed her last swim as over that. You can modify it to a shorter distance if needed.

Warm up - 250

Kick set - 4 x 25 on 15" rest

Drill set - 6 x 25 on 10" rest

Main set - 4 x 200 on 45" rest (8-8.5 RPE; try to beat your time each 200)

Cool down - 200

For the kick set, swim using flutter kick on your side, back, of front with kickboard.  Fins are okay.

Sample drills include catch up, count stroke, fingertip drag, fist, bilateral breathing, pulls with buoy

Hope this helps.

LISA

2011-05-12 9:52 PM
in reply to: #3495907

User image

Champion

GEORGE -

Not a problem at all, and we'll all look forward to receiving our Scandinavian souvenir in the mail. Thanks in advance!

2011-05-12 10:00 PM
in reply to: #3496647

User image

Champion

TRINA -

I don't know if it's a technique flaw. I've had a couple of bouts of something similar, but long enough ago to not remember what I attributed it to. I'll go back through my logs and see if I vcan find any comments I made about it.

My experience with swim aches is that it doesn't take much to birth them. A slight torque here, too much oomph there....and the shoulder or elbow or fingers (yes, fingers) can show displeasure. My overlarge case of shoulder impingement in winter '06/'07 was the result of a (seemingly) very small change in the recovery phase of my stroke. Ack.

If your elbow is like mine has been back when, go easy on it for a couple of days, and ice it well. Somehwre in the depths of my swim bag I have a strap that I bought in the event in happened again......and the strap has remained unused. Good news for my elbows, bad news in terms of a dopey purchase. (Shh! Don't tell Lynn. She still doesn't know about it!)

BUT! If the soreness persists and you want to try the strap, i will be more than happy to send it to you to use as long as the elbow needs it. Let me know, okay?

2011-05-12 10:02 PM
in reply to: #3496585

User image

Champion

LISA -

Nice swim set! (With a bit more discipline, I'd even try it myself! )

Maybe tomorrow, actually. Well, possibly.

2011-05-13 5:34 AM

User image

New user

Thanks for the swim workout Lisa! I'll give it a try.
2011-05-13 10:00 AM

New user

Thanks Lisa!  I'll have to give it a try.

Sarah

2011-05-13 11:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

I may be on to something.

I learned the front crawl 3 years ago from a community ed teacher who mostly taught little kids.  It got me started but I've always been sooooo slow.  I signed up for advanced swimming lessons at the Y a few weeks ago.  It hasn't been real productive so far, I think because there's 6 of us and she can't watch all of us and we do these elementary drills.  A couple of people just came from beginners' class and can only swim 1 length.

But, last night only 2 of us showed up, so we made her watch us swim, one at a time and make suggestions.  I have a major problem with my entry, anyway that's what she said.  I angle my arm in front of me at entry instead of reaching forward.  I tried her suggestions and I felt my body rotating more smoothly.  I was really excited to get to the pool today to practice some more and see if that might help my stroke count per length (which is really terrible) and also speed.  But something came up and I won't get there 'til Tuesday.  This is terrible but I kind of hope only 2 of us show up next week also.  Maybe I should take private lessons - they're not too expensive.

Denise

I

2011-05-13 3:49 PM
in reply to: #3497427

User image

Champion

DENISE -

Eureka??

When you say that you angle the arm in front of you, does that mean that it is crossing the midline, crossing in front of your head/face? And, if so, is it both arms?

As she told you, crossing the midline not only applies some brakes to your stroke, and not only prevents full extension, but if it's one arm only, or even one arm "harder" than the other, then it's a good source of drifting -- tacking off at an angle (hopefully just subtle) to one side.

So, you may well be one to something. Halleloo! One way to check this yourself is to swim your normal way, and then mid-length sneak a look forward -- that is, raise your head straight up and forward as one arm is entering the water, and then on the return length do it while the other arm is entering. Try not to bias the observation at all, which is why I say to do it when you are swimming normal. maybe the first few lengths of the session would be best.

It has been clinically proven that regulare brushing prevent tooth decay.. (OOPS! Wrong infomercial. Try again.)
It has been clinically proven that virtualy all swimmers perceive that their reach/entry is further out than it really is, and often by a few inches. That is, they will be certain that their entry is wide......when in fact it on a line with the inner knob of the collarbone. That's a good case study for failed proprioreception!

Keep me posted on your progress, okay? Exciting stuff!

2011-05-14 5:29 PM
in reply to: #3498025

User image

Champion

BUMP!

26 hours without activity here relegated us to the bottom of the list of groups, and that's just bad karma. So, I am merely posting a spurious one here to elevate us to the top for a while!

No training for me today. A new tweak to my bike fit gave me sore knees, so I didn't ride or run today. And then there's the fact that's it's been raining hard and steady all day, so even if my knees were peachy I wouldn't've ridden today.

The tweak was designed to MAYBE alleviate the problem I have had with my groin for the past 5 or 6 weeks, but no luck there. So, my bike "injury" continues, with a new knot in th works. Bah! I will probably go back and have my old addle position re-established, and wait for the off-season to try again.

Still no race report from me from last week's duathlon: maybe later.....sometime?

Hope all is well with you all!

2011-05-14 6:04 PM

User image

Alaska

Good thing you checked on our group position, we dont want any bad Karma, too many of us racing this weekend.

Good Luck everyone!

2011-05-14 7:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Good luck everyone.  Report back.

Denise

2011-05-14 7:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Wednesday was the 1st nice day we've had in a long time.  I went for a long bike ride - WITHOUT SUNSCREEN.  The burn on my back was painful but nothing compared to the agony when the itch started last night.  I didn't sleep at all and just waited 'til the stores opened so I could get some aloe.  I am so stupid and I've paid the price.  I've stocked up on sunscreen but now the weather's bad again.

Denise

2011-05-14 7:59 PM

New user
Swansea, IL
Been raining too much here in the Midwest.  And it's gotten cold again.  Low 50s and misty/drizzling rain all day.  Supposed to go for long ride tomorrow but not looking too promising.  Next event is a 5/22 mile biathlon June 4.
2011-05-14 8:24 PM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Not a great day of racing for me today.  Terrible swim, pretty decent bike that I thought would set me up to run well but the calf just would not cooperate.  I pulled the plug just under a mile into the run.  Gave it a shot but it wasn't going to happen.  Need to get this fixed.  No running for me the next 2 weeks. 
2011-05-14 8:45 PM

User image

Alaska

Oh! Sorry to hear about your race. I was really hoping the calf pain was one of those taper things. You are smart to take some time off, heal it up and finish up your summer with some good events.

I'm starting to get nervous about my event tomorrow, it is an all women sprint triathlon with over 1500 women. I have to take my gear to transition tonight. It's windy out and not sure what it will look like in the morning, neither the transition area or the weather. It is a pool swim so dont have to worry about choppy water or a beach run.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  

of 57