BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2012-01-10 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3981695

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED

You are right this winter has been crazy.  Looking at he forecast it looks as if we are about to get 3.5 inches on Wednesday Frown.  I also haven't even dug my shovel out of the garage yet.  But... Its gonna be 53 degrees today for my run at lunch.

Nice job getting through your swim this morning!

Jennifers - 2012-01-10 9:43 AM

I agree with the mild winter- we normally have so much snow and it is freezing this time of year here in Milwaukee.  I live and work literally right on Lake Michigan, so while it keeps the air temps a little warmer in the winter than inland, we usually get the wonderful "lake effect snow".  But, we haven't had to shovel here AT ALL yet.  Now that I said that, I am going to jinx it. 

2012-01-10 10:30 AM
in reply to: #3981716

User image

Expert

Its not really about gaining speed its just maintaining your normal speed at a much easier effort so that you can focus on your form.  The IM plan I am doing has me doing 800Y of drills every swim session.  I have been doing 95% of the drills with fins and it has really helped me focus on the drills.  It is worth a try but I wouldn't want to be the person behind you who gets a fin to the face Yell.

Niezels - 2012-01-10 9:56 AM 

No it was without fins (which I have to buy one day). But with this training we do all excersizes as a group. so with about 8 per lane we start every 5 seconds. Lanes are divided by speed so there is no need to overtake anyone. Downside is that you do not have the option to put on fins since that will add speed. I do have a buoy which I can use if to tired.

2012-01-10 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3943322

User image

Expert

So I just did a 3 mile run in shorts and t-shirt in Chicago on January 10?  Really.

Is it possible that after a down time that your body just kicks back in after one week of solid workouts?  I have been dragging the past 2-3 months with my workouts and I kind of feel that after I started back up on Jan.1 with 8 straight solid workouts its like all of a sudden my body just kicked in this week and said "oh yeah - I remember that!"  My run today was same as last week - 3.03 miles.  Last week was average HR of 160 in 30:00 and today was average HR 160 27:54 and it felt great.  This morning I did 12 x 100Y on 2:00 and hit 1:36/100Y for all 12.  Last week I couldn't even do two 1:40/100Y in a row.

Its just weird how in a matter of days I feel like I am back to what I was in August - or maybe the brain eating Naegleria fowleri from the Neti Pot is getting to my mind and I am just hallucinating? Who knows?

2012-01-10 1:10 PM
in reply to: #3982069

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI
It's so warm here today too, so much so I decided to cancel my computrainer appointment tonight and hit the road with the bike...super excited!! Laughing
2012-01-10 1:13 PM
in reply to: #3982069

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
tmoran80 - 2012-01-10 1:00 PM

So I just did a 3 mile run in shorts and t-shirt in Chicago on January 10?  Really.

Is it possible that after a down time that your body just kicks back in after one week of solid workouts?  I have been dragging the past 2-3 months with my workouts and I kind of feel that after I started back up on Jan.1 with 8 straight solid workouts its like all of a sudden my body just kicked in this week and said "oh yeah - I remember that!"  My run today was same as last week - 3.03 miles.  Last week was average HR of 160 in 30:00 and today was average HR 160 27:54 and it felt great.  This morning I did 12 x 100Y on 2:00 and hit 1:36/100Y for all 12.  Last week I couldn't even do two 1:40/100Y in a row.

Its just weird how in a matter of days I feel like I am back to what I was in August - or maybe the brain eating Naegleria fowleri from the Neti Pot is getting to my mind and I am just hallucinating? Who knows?

Body getting used to the new nutrition?  I've noticed that I'm more alert, feel leaner and running better.  Swim this morning was only the second back and I was hitting all the numbers and no strain before the coach told me to take it easy another week so as not to get injured.  So who knows?

I can't judge by the bike 'cause I hit the numbers there consistently.   Exertion feels OK.

Edited by IceManScott 2012-01-10 1:14 PM
2012-01-10 2:06 PM
in reply to: #3981718

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team. I hope everyone is having a great day.

Tim - I built and helped create the program here at this college and have been coordinating it for about 5 years now. It is modeled after 7 other similar programs across Canada. Since I come from the golf industry and have been very active in it across the province and country on an association level, I proposed it to the college and they let me run with it. I quit my job as the GM and Director of Golf at a course in this area to build the program and run it. So far, so good - they have not fired me yet LOL.

I was able to squeeze in 30 minutes / 1100 meters in the pool here at the college this afternoon and am heading out for a 10 km right now before curling tonight.

Have a great afternoon everyone and I will check in later to update myself on what is happening with everyone.

KC

tmoran80 - 2012-01-10 10:57 AM

Interresting- I know you are a golfer but how did you get into teaching Golf Management?  Did you create the program or was it something the school has always had?

kcgolf - 2012-01-09 8:13 PM

I teach at St.Clair College in Windsor Ontario. I actually run a Business Administration Professional Golf Management Program. It is a 3 year business diploma for individuals interstes in making the industry of golf a profession.

2012-01-10 2:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Mass.

I did an hour on the trainer today.  I need to get e new one.  Anyone here have a CycleOps Magneto?  That's the one I'm looking at.

Very mild here to in Mass.  Which is good for the ehating bill, but my neighbour and I built a skating rink in the backyard and the kids have only been able to use it once so far.  Supposed to get cold by the end of the week, hopefully it does.

Also, does anyone use tofu at home?  Been interested in trying it, but don't know how to prepare it.

2012-01-10 2:39 PM
in reply to: #3982236

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
kdevarenne - 2012-01-10 2:12 PM

I did an hour on the trainer today.  I need to get e new one.  Anyone here have a CycleOps Magneto?  That's the one I'm looking at.

Very mild here to in Mass.  Which is good for the ehating bill, but my neighbour and I built a skating rink in the backyard and the kids have only been able to use it once so far.  Supposed to get cold by the end of the week, hopefully it does.

Also, does anyone use tofu at home?  Been interested in trying it, but don't know how to prepare it.

I heard it was loud but no personal experience.  I have a couple off CycloOps fluid trainers.  Really good.

2012-01-10 3:13 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
I agree. I have also heard they are loud. We have a CycleOps fluid and love it as well. Ours is in the family room so quiet important. If weather is nice we will ride in the garage but it's usually in the family room.
2012-01-10 5:03 PM
in reply to: #3982353

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

Just got back from my ride outside- it felt great to be out on the road and off the trainer!  (I seriously HATE the trainer).  We rode pretty slow, but my coach showed me a amazing hill for hill repeats.  (Added perk- the bottom is right along the shore, so the scenery was beautiful!)

Got home and showered, was looking at an email I got and signed up for a transition race.  There is a multisport expo here at the end of the month, and one of the new things they added this year was a transition race.  I signed up...my coach is signing up too.  During the summer, we have transition practice once a week...we meet at a park, and practice running in our wetsuits to our bike, changing, and everything.  It's great practice and it really has improved my transition times over the years (and it's entertaining the looks you get as you run through a park in a wetsuit).

I have a magnetic trainer myself, it's not cyclops I think it's blackburn maybe?  It can get pretty loud.  Thankfully we live in a very old soundproof condo, so none of the neighbors have complained yet.  My friend has the Cyclops fluid trainer and loves it, and it is much quieter than the magnetic ones for sure.

2012-01-10 6:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Keith - have you tried sending a group email out to your tri club? I sent one out to mine and about 5 trainers were available ranging from $50-$200. Might be worth trying if you're looking for a new one. I can't believe you were so close to me for hockey! Was it Phillips? You should have emailed me, I would have dragged you to some tri workouts at the Y lol

2012-01-10 7:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
So I have officially started my marathon plan. Was meant to do a 3 mile run tonight, somehow ended up going 4.25 (??!!) Have to do a run assessment tomorrow. Could get interesting lol. On another note, this time last year we were complaining about the weather ALL the time. Today it was gorgeous in Boston! I can't believe this weather pattern we're in. I'm loving it!! Missed Monday's song but I have SO many songs I love I can't pick 1 fav. so I'm posting one of many favs. albeit late..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI3LAgGBxqU&ob=av3e
2012-01-10 9:46 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

Tim: It is cool to swim outside can tan and get a workout, only problem is all the people there are freaks!  I just vent to you guys about not wanting to race but it feels like I am starting from square one with everything.  I'm not too worried about NY as I will just float out with the current! lol  As for fins, I use them all the time as they really stretch my calf's and allows you to do some drill and focus on form not kicking like crazy.    What drills are you doing for 800yards?

Kevin (mandown) what type of trucks do you have?

Keri: how do you classify "busy mama day" in your logs LOL

Jenny: is that the official drink of the elkart tri? bloody mary?

Stijn: I agree with you "nasty" regarding netti pots! They do have a cult following though, so they must work for some. Holy cow 8 per lane! I get mad when I share a lane, only had to do triple once in 4 years.

Scott: that is great your liking the diet!

Keith: I nothing about the cycleops but they make quality products for everything else so it should be good.

Deb: last year we were all snowed in every week.  When is your marathon?

2012-01-10 9:52 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

Well I hit the pool again today, so I have 2 swims in 2 days that is 1/3 of what I had leading upto last years race lol.  Def can tell I have not used those muscles (actually fat) in a long time.  Did a short run and could feel the effects of the concrete adding up on the body so I did a walk/jog.  Finished up with a nice slow spinning bike ride.

If I can get my butt up early (vacation time) there is a bicram yoga class that my buddy has been trying to get me to do. Not sure how it will go since its around 110 degrees doing yoga. A) I sweat like a pig    B) I suck at yoga so I will be falling all over the other people (its one thing in my basement where I can fall all over without hurting someone)   Not to mention its 90 mins.   

So for those of you that have done this how is it?

2012-01-10 10:01 PM

User image

Regular

I think doing yoga in 110 degree heat sounds like torture.  Might as well wear my wetsuit to the class so I can sweat even more.  My hat is off to those of you that can handle it.  I don't like heat!

No workout today as I'm still sick.  My coach is coming tomorrow, though, so no getting out of tomorrow's workout. 

I *might* get to go a an NFL playoff game this weekend.  The Susan G. Komen Foundation emailed me and they have some tickets that were donated by a 49ers player, and they're specifically for a Survivor + 1 guest.  It's for the 49ers/Saints game on Sunday.  I invited my favorite chemo nurse who has become a friend because she's a huge Saints fan.  So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we'll get to go!!

2012-01-10 10:08 PM
in reply to: #3983074

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

According to my Uncle Dan and husband, yes, the bloody mary after the race is the official drink of the elkhart tri.

I have never tried Bikram yoga, I have been intrigued, but never went.  I have a couple friends who go, and say that you feel great afterwards.  Let us know how it goes!

2012-01-10 11:09 PM
in reply to: #3983084

New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
razorxp - 2012-01-10 10:52 PM

Well I hit the pool again today, so I have 2 swims in 2 days that is 1/3 of what I had leading upto last years race lol.  Def can tell I have not used those muscles (actually fat) in a long time.  Did a short run and could feel the effects of the concrete adding up on the body so I did a walk/jog.  Finished up with a nice slow spinning bike ride.

If I can get my butt up early (vacation time) there is a bicram yoga class that my buddy has been trying to get me to do. Not sure how it will go since its around 110 degrees doing yoga. A) I sweat like a pig    B) I suck at yoga so I will be falling all over the other people (its one thing in my basement where I can fall all over without hurting someone)   Not to mention its 90 mins.   

So for those of you that have done this how is it?

I've taken a variety of hot yoga classes.  I love the stretch I get from them (and the hot room is really nice in the middle of winter). 

Make sure you bring lots of water, a towel to cover your yoga mat (gives you something to wipe your face during class and helps keep your feet from slipping out from underneath you once they start sweating - and they WILL start sweating at some point), and wear clothes that are comfortable in high heat (I usually go with short(er) shorts and a tank top), but that won't slip up or down as you move through the yoga poses (i.e. fitted tops are ideal). 

Most important thing is to be aware of your body and, if it needs it, give it a break by sitting quietly in child's pose or lying on your back.  I know when I haven't been going to hot yoga regularly, I tend to get light-headed part-way though the class, and sitting or lying down for a while helps with that.  Also, keep in mind that the heat affects how hard your muscles are working, so don't push too hard the first few classes - that will come with time.

Finally, don't worry about the falling over.. as long as you don't actually take anyone down, you should be okay.  

Enjoy!

2012-01-11 7:03 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Good Morning Team.

I guess I will be the first to post a picture on picture Wednesday Smile but before I do - just wanted to say keep up the great work everyone - posts are enjoyable to read and very informative for sure. I was able to sneak a short swim in yesterday and a nice 4 mile run before curling last night which was more than I expected to get in. Today I am looking at a nice ride on the trainer and a swim tonight with the arrival of the new dishwasher early this evening - thank God - no more dish pan hands LOL. Keith, I can't really comment on the trainer question for you, I have a crappy tackx trainer right now.

So to answer the question I posed on weird facts Friday - I have a twin sister named Karen and the picture you see below is with her daughter Anna. This picture was taken a little over 3 years ago and I can tell - that looks like about 15 extra pounds under my sweater vest LOL Laughing.

Have a great day team.

KC

Edited by kcgolf 2012-01-11 7:05 AM

(k&a&a.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
k&a&a.jpg (59KB - 11 downloads)
2012-01-11 7:05 AM

User image

Veteran

Wow, missed a lot yeaterday.  Had a nice easy swim while my wife and kids were doing their laps.  I put together a nice workout for the girls to do before they practice snorkeling.  Jacki is really working swimming so she does not have a panic attack at a race this year.  This morning I did a great tempo run - 7 miles with the middle 5 at 7:25.  Was a few seconds off my goal pace, but I wont complain since it was raining.

Dave - good job getting back into the water.  I am sure it will come back just as quickly as Tim's running has.

Tim - I think that once you put a race on the calendar and start using a training plan your brain naturally goes into a different mode to do what you jsut did not want to do without teh race motivation.  Also, yes Cowboy Mouth is still playing, they will be in Chicago in Feb(House of Blues).

Mandown - Glad good weather is everywhere.  We had 50 and sunny yesterday.  I hope we can keep this up ar at least regain it for Super Bowl week.  It will help make our town shine a little better if we get some good weather.

Cheeky - Best rock voice of all time.  Great choice.

Monique - enjoy the game, that will be great.  My wife is in a drawing at work for 2 tix to the SB.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

2012-01-11 7:10 AM

User image

Veteran

Picture Wednesday - here is a shot of my son at his first Cowboy Mouth concert.  Together we crept through the crowd to the front rail.  Before a song he brought up some kids to play with him,  some of the crowd around us picked up Tristan and put him on the stage too.  He was handed a drumstick and smashed on the singer/drummer's hi-hat at various times during the song.  Then we did a meet and greet after the show.

(Tristan and Fred.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Tristan and Fred.jpg (41KB - 8 downloads)
2012-01-11 7:29 AM

User image

Pro
Houston

I agree with everything Heather said about the yoga class you also might want to bring a hand towel and make sure you drink plenty of water before and during.  I was at yoga at 5:30 this morning and so glad I got it in but my shoulders were screaming! Not sure if it's from the trainer ride last night but I was in a world of hurt. 

I am excited bout today, I will be working t the tri store and we have a Newton clinic today. I m very interested to hear what they have to say. It has been very interesting to learn about all these different companies from the other side.  Right now I am typing on the iPad but when I get a sec I'll log in from my computer so I can post a pic.

Edited by KeriKadi 2012-01-11 8:26 AM

2012-01-11 7:41 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Awesome picture Brian.

Keri - I am a newton user and ran in them all last year. I just picked up another 2 pairs for this coming season and would love to hear about everything you learn today.

KC

Edited by kcgolf 2012-01-11 7:41 AM
2012-01-11 7:59 AM
in reply to: #3983463

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

KeriKadi - 2012-01-11 7:29 AM I agree with everything Heather said about the yoga class you also might want to bring a hand towel and make sure you drink plenty of water before and during.I was at yoga at 5:30 this morning and so glad I got it in but my shoulders were screaming! Not sure if it's from the trainer ride last night but I was in a world of hurt.I am excited bout today, I will be working t the tri store and we have a Newton clinic today. I m very interested to hear what they have to say. It has been very interesting to learn about all these different companies from the other side.Right now I am typing on the iPad but when I get a sec I'll log in from my computer so I can post a pic.

Love yoga.  I would love to find one of these classes in a hot room.  Might help me acclimate to hot weather racing.   Going to ask around.  

Swam yesterday. Sprints were great.  Coach told me to cool it...too soon back    But plenty of energy.  Had a hard bike on the CT with hill repeats again.  Plenty of energy for that too.  And I'm only getting about 2200 cals a day eating meat, veggies, and fruit. I wonder if I am allergic to grains or white bread.  I feel so much better on the paleoi thing.   After work, kettle bells with the trainer again.  Yes!  And then an hour run!

2012-01-11 8:22 AM

User image

Pro
Houston

Here is my Wednesday pic. This is my daughter Kerianne in T2 at her very first triathlon last year, she is 8 in the pic. My goal is to look like this in T2.

(KATriT2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
KATriT2.jpg (66KB - 5 downloads)
2012-01-11 8:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Mass.

Kari- Nice pic!!  They are supposed to have a kids tri locally here this year, I hope my son does it!

Deb - Yes it was a Phillips.  Nice school!!  The arena was awesome!

Todays run - 4 miles on the treadmill with 4% incline in 32:04.  Getting to where I want to be little by little!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 43