Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 34

2012-01-27 12:00 PM
in reply to: #4014263

User image

Veteran
Brunswick, Georgia
Subject: RE: Scott's Mentor Group-Closed

I have a question for you triathletes...you all have pictures on your profile. I am curious. What was the event and how did you do in it?

I don't have a picture yet. I hope to put one up after my first sprint race of me crossing the line!

2012-01-27 12:08 PM
in reply to: #4014416

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
ahutson - 2012-01-27 1:00 PM

I have a question for you triathletes...you all have pictures on your profile. I am curious. What was the event and how did you do in it?

I don't have a picture yet. I hope to put one up after my first sprint race of me crossing the line!

My avitar is from the Lake Dunmore Olympic Tri last summer.  It was an average performance, but this was the best pic from the bunch.  

2012-01-27 12:53 PM
in reply to: #4014263

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area
BernardDogs - 2012-01-27 12:01 PM

I may be interested indeed, Nicole. But my proposed race schedule (and budget) is already pretty tight.

It's very budget friendly at only $15 if you register before March 3, 2012. We don't have a website and probably won't before this year's event but there is a facebook link. I can't seem to post it but the event is called Race the Base, Run for Hope. It's on March 17 in Plattsburgh (NY). It will be a 1 mile race on an indoor track, run in heats. We plan to email participants with a time once we arrange the heats so no one has to wait around all day. If I can figure out how I'll attach the race entry form here but they can be picked up at Fleet Feet on Pearl St. in Essex Junction, VT or at Elements of Healing in the Shoppes at Essex (Essex Way) also in Essex Junction. I could also email one to you. We are giving medals for age group winners and there will be a ribbon for the first place person in each heat. Proceeds go to North Country Mission of Hope and Plattsburgh Sunrise Rotary. Mission of Hope is an organization in Plattsburgh that provides relief to poverty stricken areas in Nicaragua.

I know TimX3 is also not too far away and I had thought of posting it here but I didn't want to hijack the thread for advertising. Thanks, Scott, for bringing it up. Anyone who is interested can PM me. I hope I covered everything...

?

Edited by nicoleg 2012-01-27 12:56 PM

Attachments
----------------
Race the Base, Run for HopeApplication.doc (79KB - 8 downloads)
2012-01-27 12:57 PM
in reply to: #4014435

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area
rsmoylan - 2012-01-27 1:08 PM
ahutson - 2012-01-27 1:00 PM

My avitar is from the Lake Dunmore Olympic Tri last summer.  It was an average performance, but this was the best pic from the bunch.  

Mine is from the Plattsburgh Half Marathon last april and it's the only race pic I've ever liked.

2012-01-27 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3947465

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
Nicole ... I'll check the family calendar.

My avatar pic is from a weekly trail 5k series I do all summer long at the Catamount Family Center. It's a very low-key no-frills race series with a great group of regulars. Just show up on Tuesday night, pay your $6 and run some gnarly trails. Scott ... have you run them? Have I already asked you that? 
2012-01-27 3:21 PM
in reply to: #4014871

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT

BernardDogs - 2012-01-27 3:51 PM Nicole ... I'll check the family calendar.

My avatar pic is from a weekly trail 5k series I do all summer long at the Catamount Family Center. It's a very low-key no-frills race series with a great group of regulars. Just show up on Tuesday night, pay your $6 and run some gnarly trails. Scott ... have you run them? Have I already asked you that? 

I've brought my daughter to the kids fun run.  I was training for other things, but I watched a few of the races.  I'm planning to do a few this coming summer.  

2012-01-27 3:34 PM

User image

Lake Forest, CA

Hello group.  Sorry I’ve been MIA for a couple of days.  It’s been a busy couple days at work.  I didn’t do any training in on Thursday but did a long swim on Wednesday before work.  Got more therapy on the calf today and am going to power walk this afternoon, hoping to start some basic running next week.

When I started this adventure I decided that I would not make any financial investment into this sport until I’d trained the entire month of January (I was questioning my dedication).  Well, I jumped the gun a little and purchased a wet suit on eBay yesterday.  It appears to be about four years old but in good shape and I think I got a good deal.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/300653371656?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I was planning on buying a new suit but by buying used I’ve saved enough money to pay for my first race entry and have enough to buy beer after the race.

As for the avatar, check with me on March 19th.  I hope to have a race picture then. 

Nicole, I’m a little far away to attend your race so I’ll be racing with you in spirit.

Have a great weekend all.  And thanks for all the support.

C

2012-01-27 3:49 PM
in reply to: #4015021

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
craiger951 - 2012-01-27 4:34 PM

Hello group.  Sorry I’ve been MIA for a couple of days.  It’s been a busy couple days at work.  I didn’t do any training in on Thursday but did a long swim on Wednesday before work.  Got more therapy on the calf today and am going to power walk this afternoon, hoping to start some basic running next week.

When I started this adventure I decided that I would not make any financial investment into this sport until I’d trained the entire month of January (I was questioning my dedication).  Well, I jumped the gun a little and purchased a wet suit on eBay yesterday.  It appears to be about four years old but in good shape and I think I got a good deal.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/300653371656?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I was planning on buying a new suit but by buying used I’ve saved enough money to pay for my first race entry and have enough to buy beer after the race.

As for the avatar, check with me on March 19th.  I hope to have a race picture then. 

Nicole, I’m a little far away to attend your race so I’ll be racing with you in spirit.

Have a great weekend all.  And thanks for all the support.

C

Craig,  That is a great deal on decent wetsuit.  Good luck with it.  Remember to try it on and get a swim with it before race day to make sure that it fits and everything is okay with it.  Congratulations of making it one month!

2012-01-27 6:15 PM

User image

Regular
Ballston Spa, New York
Scott, Enjoy that 910 XT. I had one on order from Trisports since December but decided to bail on it. I have an Edge 500 for my bike and a 305 that I run with. I purchased a Power Tap in the fall that is connected to the Edge and I just purchased a Macbook Air so I had to make some spending cuts somewhere. As much as I wanted to get the 910 XT I had to take a pass on it for now. You have to let us  know how you like it. 
2012-01-27 7:35 PM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT

I ran in very sloppy weather tonight.  Blech.  

The 910xt is a great tool.  I used it for my run tonight.  It is very similar in function and use to the 310xt.  There a couple of quircky things that are different.  I will test it in the pool tomorrow and see how it does there.  I'm also going to play for a bit tonight and pair with my speed/cadence sensor as well as the power meter.  Have a glorious evening all.  I feel like a child on Christmas morning.  

2012-01-27 9:46 PM
in reply to: #4015311

User image

Veteran
Brunswick, Georgia

Evening, all! 

Scott, that does look like a nice piece of equipment. I started an organization today that accepts all donations of old awesome equipment that nobody wants any more. We are gladly accepting clothes, shoes, suits, jackets, tanks, gps equipment, bikes, etc. 

I hit the Y today for a stationary bike workout. It was cold and nasty here and wasn't going to hit the road. Did 30 minutes on a rolling hills program. I then did an upper body core workout. It was not an impressive trainig day but I got out and did something to try and better myself. I think I want to try and do a combo of all three legs tomorrow. What is shorter than a sprint? I shall call it a tri-hop. I am going to swim for 20, bike 20, and run 20. I plan to wear my speedo jammers and some type of polyester training top. Its two months to race day. Maybe I can do it every two weeks before my off day. I could start increasing my hops until race day. It sounds fun. I'm pumped! Do ya'll ever do anything similar? Is has to help become familiar with transitioning. 

2012-01-28 7:38 AM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

Good morning peeps!

My training slump ends today!!

My running buddy wants to do a 10 mile progression run ... starting at an 8:00 pace and moving down to finish the final few miles at a 7:00 pace. He's just waiting to hear the nordic ski reports ... which will decide if we run today or tomorrow. I'm hoping for today, as we're supposed to get precipitation tonight into tomorrow, and I don't think the footing will be there for the paces we want to hit.

Whatever he decides, I'll do a shorter run and a trainer ride on the day we're not running together.

I'm dressed and ready to go now ... and should be able to wear shorts (currently 34F, which is right at my cut off).

Looking forward to your pool report for the 910xt, Scott.

2012-01-28 9:41 AM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
The 10 mile progression run got pushed to tomorrow so my RP can get some time on the nordic ski trails. So I went out for my hilly 10k loop. 

I knew I was itching to run ... my week has been work heavy, so I took it out on the roads this morning. I had one of those runs we all chase. Perfect. 34F at the start, so I was in shorts. A few places of black ice where I needed to take caution, but mostly dry footing. I pushed the hills and ended up with a 7:42 pace with the final mile in 7:12.

These are the runs that keep us in the game.  
2012-01-28 11:39 AM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
The 910xt was fantastic in the pool.  Spot on with regard to yardage.  It was easy to use, I just hit lap at the end and start of every interval.  I haven't had a chance to analyze the data yet, but so far It was great to use.  Looking forward to loading into garmin connect tonight.  I will keep everyone informed.  
2012-01-28 7:44 PM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT

I had a great workout on the trainer tonight.  The garmin worked like a charm.  No problems with syncing with speed/cadence sensor or the power meter.  It picked up the data seamlessly.  I've also had a chance to take a look at Garmin connect and looked at my pool workout.  Man oh man does it record a lot of stuff.  I have much to learn, other than I am not very efficient in the water.  I hope everyone has a stellar weekend.  See y'all tomorrow.  

2012-01-28 8:00 PM

User image

Lake Forest, CA

I hope everybody is having a great Saturday.

Today I went 40K on the road bike.  I found a new route that is mostly a bike path separated from the street and cars which I really like.  My pace for the ride was 15.5mph.  I am a little disappointed with the pace since much of the ride my speedo was showing around 20.  The route is a multi-use trail so I have to slow way down from time to time for people walking dogs, people riding with kids, crossing streets etc.  So my question is, how much faster do you all go on a race day on a closed course?

Other than my disappointment with the pace, I felt great, no problem with the butt or back.  The bike ran smoothly.  Great sunny day to be out for a ride.

I hope you all had a great day of training.

2012-01-28 8:23 PM
in reply to: #4015465

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
ahutson - 2012-01-27 10:46 PM

Evening, all! 

Scott, that does look like a nice piece of equipment. I started an organization today that accepts all donations of old awesome equipment that nobody wants any more. We are gladly accepting clothes, shoes, suits, jackets, tanks, gps equipment, bikes, etc. 

I hit the Y today for a stationary bike workout. It was cold and nasty here and wasn't going to hit the road. Did 30 minutes on a rolling hills program. I then did an upper body core workout. It was not an impressive trainig day but I got out and did something to try and better myself. I think I want to try and do a combo of all three legs tomorrow. What is shorter than a sprint? I shall call it a tri-hop. I am going to swim for 20, bike 20, and run 20. I plan to wear my speedo jammers and some type of polyester training top. Its two months to race day. Maybe I can do it every two weeks before my off day. I could start increasing my hops until race day. It sounds fun. I'm pumped! Do ya'll ever do anything similar? Is has to help become familiar with transitioning. 

LoL.  That is so selfless of you Ashley.  

2012-01-29 7:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area
I went to the pool yesterday morning to make up for not swimming all week and I was really excited to get there and find it empty. I love the peaceful feeling of being the only one in the pool. Unfortunately, it was empty because it was closed. The chlorine levels were too high. I did some yoga last night and I have a 5 mile run scheduled today so the weekend's not a total wash. That was a bummer, though. That's what I get for procrastinating...
2012-01-29 8:46 AM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

Bummer on the pool Nicole. That would have been a peaceful swim.

As it turns out, yesterday would have been the more ideal day for the progression run with my training partner. But he was skiing. So I ran and biked yesterday, leaving me with heavy legs this morning. And we had some precipitation last night, leaving the streets and sidewalks with a thin coat of ice in many places. But we made it work. We both left our homes at 7:30, and then met about a mile into each of our runs ... then the goal was to progress through 9 more miles, each mile faster than the last.

I think progression runs are an excellent way to train your internal pace clocks for holding back and getting the value of a negative split. I was never a negative split racer until I became very deliberate about training that way about 5 years ago.

Today's splits:
Warm Up: 9:01
8:17, 7:52, 7:41, 7:31, 7:25, 7:16, 7:14, 7:04, 7:28
Cool Down (.5): 10:55

I bonked at about mile 9.25 ... that last mile was especially icy and against the wind, but I'm not sure I would have had enough to go sub 7 today. Overall, I'm very pleased with the run. But I'm going to be feeling this one today.

2012-01-29 12:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area

Sounds like a great run, Bernard!

My run didn't feel great but turned out to be faster than my regular pace, which is not saying much. Still, it was a beautiful day here and spending some time outside on a day like today in January is worth the effort!

2012-01-29 3:18 PM
in reply to: #4017037

User image

Veteran

Clocked in a 10 mile trail run at 1:35 ... wish I could clock mile times like some of you guys but I am not unhappy with todays pace.  Did a chest/upper body work out this morning and then ran at noon.

Plan for tommorrow is an early swim and either a 6 mile run or a plyo workout - depends on the weather.

Keep on training guys - races are coming up!! 

2012-01-29 5:59 PM

User image

Regular
Ballston Spa, New York
Thinking about getting back to running very soon. I think I am just about over my PF but I won't be sure until I getting going with it again. Today I went to my local running shop to try some shoes. I have been reading a lot about this whole minimalist running thing after first having my interest peaked after reading "Born to Run". I tried a few shoes today that are considered more of a middle ground to the full on minimalist. I currently run in a stability shoe, Saucony Grid 4. The new Grid 5 has only a 7mm drop from heel to toe so it feels a lot different then my current Grid 4. I liked it but it's definitely not what you call a lightweight minimalist shoe. I also tried a Nike Free (didn't like it at all) a pair of Brooks Ghost 4 ( These felt great) and a pair of Brooks Launch. The Launch was the most "minamilish" of the group and the pair I think I'll ultimately go with. Has anybody else tried the barefoot style or minimalist running shoe?
2012-01-29 7:33 PM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
Tim ... I'm pretty convinced that running in Kinvaras was a significant, if not the major, contributor to my Plantar Fasciitis. PF is often associated with tight calves ... which will develop if you're not careful transitioning into the lower drop shoes. But perhaps you're more flexible than I am. Just a word of warning.

I've settled into the New Balance 890s ... a "lighter" weight shoe that still gives me the cushion and the heel that I want. But I am an under-pronator, so I don't require any lateral stability. Good luck!! 
2012-01-29 9:26 PM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
I like the kinvara's as a racing shoe.  They remind me of racing flats back in high school.  I wear a pretty stable Asics running shoe for everyday use.  I've read quite a bit on the boards here, and many people have gone minamilist with good results, and some have gotten injured.  Most will agree that one should break into it slowly.  All slow low mileage with them, and maybe even phase them in.  As with most things, if you listen to your body you should be okay.  
2012-01-30 11:00 AM
in reply to: #4015465

User image

Lake Forest, CA

Good morning all.

This should be an interesting couple of weeks of training.  I'll be on business travel most of the next few weeks.  That means hotel gym bikes, treadmills and very short pools.

Any advice from the business travelers would be greatly appreciated.

Yesterday had my long pool day.

2000y total. 500wu, 10x100 sets and 500 cd.

Have a great week.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scott's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 34