BT Development Mentor Program Archives » We Don't Just Tri - We Do Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2013-04-09 9:29 PM
in reply to: #4694092

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Subject: RE: We Don't Just Tri - We Do Group - Closed
sundevil87 - 2013-04-09 9:56 PM
Mountaindan - 2013-04-08 5:44 PM

Great job Patrick! Sounds like you had a very successful first Tri. Glad to see you chose to wear the ear plugs, cold water doesn't effect everyone, but finding out can make for a very uncomfortable experience, I found out the hard way luckily on a club mini tri!

I have trouble with cold feet on the bike a lot, even during the summer in Maine the water temps very seldom get above 64 and can drop substantially on a regular basis. I may try putting some toe warmers in my bike shoes? I hate running with numb feet, feels like i have concrete on them.

Thom,

Good luck on your race, 54 sounds pretty cold, especially for 2.4 miles. and watch out for the Glory Hole, haha.

Looking forward to seeing the results. Do they have live tracking at all?

Where is that Glory Hole anyway? It looks pretty alien! Would hate to get caught up in it

You should be good, it on the south east side by the dam. I was thinking it looks pretty scary to get anywhere near it.

2013-04-11 8:55 PM
in reply to: #4556995

Simsbury, CT

Getting tougher at work....   seems like weekends are the only time I can get some serious effort in.   Last weekend I did 116 miles on the bike and then went out for a 4 mile run.   While it would have been tough to go for another 22, I think I could have done it.  This is encouraging as I have been focusing on the biking more so than on the run - Maybe a bit too much.   I think I have the bike dialed in and while it is still difficult to stay aero for the entire ride, I think I discovered that it maybe due to the sunglasses I am using - I have to lift my head up a bit in order to be able to see below the glasses frame.  Solution?  ordered a pair of frameless Smith glasses.  We will see if that does the trick.  

Nutrition-wise, the Hammer Perpetuem (sp) and Saltsticks seems to be doing the job.  This past weekend I did have to eat a banana as the stomach does feel empty after 3-4 hours of liquids.  1 banana seemed to do it. 

Hydration-wise I was OK as well  I weighed 1lb more after the bike-run or 8+ hrs. which indicates I did Ok taking in liquids.  This is what is most concerning to me as I will be racing in weather that is 30+ degrees than what I have been training in.  

At this point, my goal has shifted from finishing under 13 hrs to just finishing.    I think I have a decent shot at it as long as I pace myself and don't let the adrenaline get the best of me.  

a

2013-04-13 2:43 PM

Anybody is racing this weekend?

Armando, what a punishing workout! When is your Ironman?

I run this morning 5mi to rec center and had a brick class there. Unfortunately, due to low enrollment that was the last brick class and I've got quite attached to this form of exercise.  Tomorrow I'm planning for a very long run, gotta try how half marathon distance feels.

Keep us posted

Jurga

2013-04-13 3:39 PM
in reply to: #4699027

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Thom should be well into his bike leg at the Napa HITS race, that is if he didn't freeze in the swim?
2013-04-13 6:10 PM
in reply to: #4699063

User image

Denver, CO
Mountaindan - 2013-04-13 2:39 PMThom should be well into his bike leg at the Napa HITS race, that is if he didn't freeze in the swim?
I'm hoping he is doing OK. He didn't sound to optimistic....
2013-04-13 6:13 PM

User image

Denver, CO
tukutuku - 2013-04-13 1:43 PM

Anybody is racing this weekend?

Armando, what a punishing workout! When is your Ironman?

I run this morning 5mi to rec center and had a brick class there. Unfortunately, due to low enrollment that was the last brick class and I've got quite attached to this form of exercise.  Tomorrow I'm planning for a very long run, gotta try how half marathon distance feels.

Keep us posted

Jurga

No race for me. It was finally nice enough to ride outside. Got in 44 miles today.

2013-04-14 2:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Complete report later, but the tri is done.

First the good news - I completed full tri and ... believe it or not took firs place in my age group. The age group was not big, but hey, I podiumed. Never thought I would.

The bad ... most difficult race course I've ever done and that, combined with less than optimal swim and bike preparation, resulted.in.slow.times.and increased exhaustion.

Again, full race report on BT next week and more to the group in the nex day or so.

Thom
2013-04-14 2:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Awesome job Thom! Glad you made it through and what an accomplishment on the Podium finish. Looking forward to seeing the complete report. Now have a beer and get some rest.
2013-04-14 3:56 AM

Nice job Thom! It's a good thing you decided not to drop down to the half!
2013-04-14 8:38 AM

User image

Denver, CO
Awesome Thom! 
2013-04-14 8:44 AM
in reply to: #4699324

User image

Way2go!!!

2013-04-14 4:55 PM

User image

Regular
North Carolina
Way to go Thom. Waiting for the full report. Got my second of the season next Sunday, can't hardly waith until then.
2013-04-14 4:55 PM

User image

Regular
North Carolina
Way to go Thom. Waiting for the full report. Got my second of the season next Sunday.
2013-04-15 7:27 PM

Simsbury, CT

Thom, 

nice work.  Looking forward to the full report. 

Armando

2013-04-15 7:40 PM

Simsbury, CT

Jurga - I am going to attempt IM Texas on May 18.  4 training weeks to go and 1 for taper.  

This weekend I ran 15 miles on Saturday.  On Sunday, I swam 4500 yds, biked 30m and ran 6.5m.  I felt surprisingly good considering that my legs were a bit tired from Saturday. So far I have done the full distance swimming and biking.  I think this coming weekend I will run the full 26 on Saturday and do some swimming and biking on Sunday.  Something about being able to do the full distance in each event prior to the actual race.  No guarantee I can put the 3 together but we'll see.  Houston heat has me worried..... Embarassed

2013-04-15 9:13 PM

User image

Regular
North Carolina
You'll do fine. I'll be here in NC rooting for you all the way!!!!

2013-04-15 10:10 PM

Cool, one guy from our tri club is also doing IMTX. He is also concerned about heat as I think everybody else. What was the reason for choosing Huston?i run 13mi today, that is my longest run so far,now I'm sitting with my feet up and reading news. I'm heartbroken for all who suffered in Boston Marathon bombings. Sad evening
2013-04-16 5:23 AM
in reply to: #4701942

Simsbury, CT
I am sure others would have been a better option but my brother is in TX and it is early in the season. I hope to maintain shape for the smaller races throughout the summer and not spend my summer training (I have to find the positives in this decision ).Boston events are indeed sad.
2013-04-16 11:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Hey all, I loaded my race report. You can read it here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/directory/link-detail....

I am having problems loading my Garmin files to the BT site. If I can't get it resolved I will try to share the link to my Garmin Connect files so you can see the technical data, especially the course terrain profile. When you see those - I hope it will give you an idea of the difficulty of this course.
2013-04-16 11:57 PM
in reply to: #4701732

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Armandova - 2013-04-15 6:40 PM

Jurga - I am going to attempt IM Texas on May 18.  4 training weeks to go and 1 for taper.  

This weekend I ran 15 miles on Saturday.  On Sunday, I swam 4500 yds, biked 30m and ran 6.5m.  I felt surprisingly good considering that my legs were a bit tired from Saturday. So far I have done the full distance swimming and biking.  I think this coming weekend I will run the full 26 on Saturday and do some swimming and biking on Sunday.  Something about being able to do the full distance in each event prior to the actual race.  No guarantee I can put the 3 together but we'll see.  Houston heat has me worried..... Embarassed

I hear you. I did the same. I wanted to know that I could do the full swim. Before my first marathon, I wanted to run the whole distance before race day. For my first IM I did not do a full bike or run before the race. The longest bike was 86 miles and the longest run was 20. I wasn't sure how it would all go, but it worked out.

From you have posted here - you will be able to do it. I still don't fully understand how but I think the cumulative effect of all of the training gets you through the whole race.

Heat can be always be a problem. I have mentioned before that I use Hammer products. During Napa I used Endurolytes for the first time. If you have never used them - I highly recommend them to you. I had the beginning of cramping problems in Napa - after taking a handful of Endurolytes they went away (once during the bike and once during the run). Ironman doesn't use Hammer so you'll have to bring your own.
2013-04-17 8:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
I think you should be able to use these links to take a look at the Garmin files from the Napa race. Take a look at the elevation profiles. The run shows a mile short - I promise I ran the whole thing.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/298552266

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/298552316

2013-04-18 9:16 AM

User image

Regular
North Carolina
Well, triathlon number two is coming up in three days and I'm ready to go. I'll be bringing along a rooting section, my wife and grandkids are comng along for support.  FYI, my wife is entering her first race a 5K the 28th and my grand-daughter Brianna will be running her first race at 4, a one-mile fun run.  Although this is another sprint, it's longer and (IMO) much more difficult than my first. For starters, it's in the Appalachian Mountains, I live down east and not accustomed to hills, the bike ride is over twice as long as is the run and the swim is almost twice as long.  But what the heck, I'm not doing this because it's easy but I relish the challenge.  I've been doing two a days since the last Tri, and with the exception of the swim I can see the progress on an almost daily basis.  Now the swim for me is a bit of a misnomer, I don't actually swim as much as I beat the water into submission.  Beliee me, it's not because of lack of effort. I can swim forever it seems like, but I just can't seem to get any better or faster.  Little old ladies on kickboards pass me in the pool. LOL.   My last bike ride was 36 miles and I averaged 14.6 MPH, which for me is very good, this morning I ran just short of 4.5 miles and my pace was 5:49 min/mile. I had a plan to run sprints and gradually work up to a Olympic Length IM by the fall and work up to HIM by the end of next season.   I'm thinking of accelerating my schedule and considering signing up for an Olymic event for May, the White Lake International.  I started this journey over a year ago with the goal of running an IM eventually.
2013-04-18 5:49 PM
in reply to: #4703490

Simsbury, CT
ThomRead your race report and learned a couple of things. First, I had not given thought to clear or smoked goggles. Not an issue for me since I only own tinted. Lip balm and eye drops - good call. After my longest bike ride, both my eyes and lips were dry - for several days after. I will be sure to pack drops and balm. I have been using hammer perpetuem for nutrition with good results. I would like to use what will be offered on the course but why mess with has been working upto now - I will bring my own. For electrolytes, Saltsticks are working great as well. All I need now is a way to keep my motivation going for another 3 weeks of training. I am struggling there. I am ready to get this on and be back to a normal schedule. Maybe I should have listened to my wife who said "why don't you do a half first?"
2013-04-18 5:50 PM
in reply to: #4705284

Simsbury, CT
Hey BullGood luck on number 2. Don't forget the post race report.
2013-04-18 9:23 PM

Armando,  it looks you are having classical racer's remorse, it is too late to turn back, just go and finish what you started. Your training volumes are really impressive.

Bull, instead of beating water, try slicing it, maybe that will help you to go faster. On my sprints I concentrate on two points: when arm goes out of water and when arm gets in to water, trying to make those movements as sharp and precise as I can. Good luck in the mountains for you and your family!

Thom, well done! I read your race report with interest, got the feeling that you stayed calm during whole distance. Such a long race and so easy to start rushing and making mistakes, but you stayed away form it.

I'm waiting to hear from race director, my indoor triathlon is in 10 days. I just hope they did not lose my registration form!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » We Don't Just Tri - We Do Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 22