Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2013-06-06 5:36 AM
in reply to: tricrazy

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN

Originally posted by tricrazy SO, now that my HIM is over I feel like I have no direction. I have no desire to register for anything right now but I know I train more consistently with a goal. I have thought about hiring a coach to just help my with my cycling and work on getting stronger there. What do you guys do when you have completed one goal without another on the horizon? Do you enjoy that freedom or do you feel a bit out of sorts?

It sounds to me like you have the beginnings of a goal with your biking.  If you think a coach is the best way to improve, go for it.  Plan for some event, race or ride later in the season to test out how well you've done against the goal.  Get excited about it!

When I finish a race, I do feel a bit out of sorts.  If it went well, my initial reaction is to find another one and get training asap.  From my experience that isn't always the best approach because I am a little fried over the training.  If you feel that way, take some time away from formalized training (still work out) while formulating that next big goal.  Make the planning fun.    It'll help you in the long run. 

2013-06-06 5:43 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Originally posted by tricrazySO, now that my HIM is over I feel like I have no direction. I have no desire to register for anything right now but I know I train more consistently with a goal. I have thought about hiring a coach to just help my with my cycling and work on getting stronger there. What do you guys do when you have completed one goal without another on the horizon? Do you enjoy that freedom or do you feel a bit out of sorts?

I know just what you mean Rachel, I've got nothing on the horizon and my usual Spring Oly - the Noosa Triathlon - is full already. I seem to need a race to scare me into training but now I've done the IM I don't think any of the other races scare me anymore!!!

I know my cycling is weak so I'm going to become a cyclist for a while and see if I can enjoy it and improve. I might do a few sprints when Spring comes round then try to get in to the Mooloolaba triathlon next March. I wish I'd planned ahead and booked a race to focus on but I didn't so I just need to acknowledge how weak I am on the bike and work on it!

2013-06-06 6:41 AM
in reply to: mbehr1983

User image

Originally posted by mbehr1983

No racing here.

I am turning 30.

I agree ith what was said about training with others. I do think it has its privleges like keeping you motivated and pushing you further. It is hard to get up with different groups due to time and dont get to do but every other weekend.

Happy Birthday, youngster!

2013-06-06 6:49 AM

User image

Originally posted by tricrazy SO, now that my HIM is over I feel like I have no direction. I have no desire to register for anything right now but I know I train more consistently with a goal. I have thought about hiring a coach to just help my with my cycling and work on getting stronger there. What do you guys do when you have completed one goal without another on the horizon? Do you enjoy that freedom or do you feel a bit out of sorts?

I like to have a goal out there, either a race or a specific goal for one of the disciplines. Right now I'm working on some long-term swimming goals that keep me motivated even though I don't have a race coming up any time soon. Working with a coach or a training group can help (and make training more fun), but I still need a goal or some way of measuring progress.

2013-06-06 6:56 AM
in reply to: copa2251

User image

Originally posted by copa2251
Originally posted by tricrazySO, now that my HIM is over I feel like I have no direction. I have no desire to register for anything right now but I know I train more consistently with a goal. I have thought about hiring a coach to just help my with my cycling and work on getting stronger there. What do you guys do when you have completed one goal without another on the horizon? Do you enjoy that freedom or do you feel a bit out of sorts?

I know just what you mean Rachel, I've got nothing on the horizon and my usual Spring Oly - the Noosa Triathlon - is full already. I seem to need a race to scare me into training but now I've done the IM I don't think any of the other races scare me anymore!!!

I know my cycling is weak so I'm going to become a cyclist for a while and see if I can enjoy it and improve. I might do a few sprints when Spring comes round then try to get in to the Mooloolaba triathlon next March. I wish I'd planned ahead and booked a race to focus on but I didn't so I just need to acknowledge how weak I am on the bike and work on it!

I will use my 1000th post to say how much I like the word Mooloolaba. Not only do you get to run along beautiful beaches and race kangaroos, you get to do races with names like Mooloolaba. Lucky!

2013-06-06 7:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

I agree with Suzy, lets have more chatting on the MG and less on Facebook! It wasn't long ago that if you didn't check in daily you'd have 10 pages to catch up on.

It has been quiet in here.  Where is fatty when you need him to stir up the joint?  

As a recovering triathlete currently posing as a bike racer can I suggest riding some Cyclocross in your off-season?  It gives something to work for, is the best thing you can do for your bike handling skills, can be done on a mountain bike at the beginning levels, works your anaerobic and VO2 max engines like nothing else, the atmosphere cannot be beat, and best of all...... if you like it you have the perfect excuse to buy another bike!  (N+1)

Edited by badgerintx 2013-06-06 7:31 AM

2013-06-06 7:33 AM
in reply to: jfought

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Originally posted by jfought

Things are heating up and Summer is almost here.  Who's going to represent this weekend and show 'em how it's done?

I'm wondering if you train alone or with friends?  What do you think are the benefits and drawbacks of each?

I'm at a rest stop somewhere in Ohio on my way to New Jersey for the summer.  No time for fancy formatting.  Peace Out.

No racing here.    I do most of my training alone.  I think it would be great to get out there with a group cycling once in a while and that is something I am planning on looking into. 

2013-06-06 1:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL
Originally posted by badgerintx

I agree with Suzy, lets have more chatting on the MG and less on Facebook! It wasn't long ago that if you didn't check in daily you'd have 10 pages to catch up on.

It has been quiet in here.  Where is fatty when you need him to stir up the joint?  

As a recovering triathlete currently posing as a bike racer can I suggest riding some Cyclocross in your off-season?  It gives something to work for, is the best thing you can do for your bike handling skills, can be done on a mountain bike at the beginning levels, works your anaerobic and VO2 max engines like nothing else, the atmosphere cannot be beat, and best of all...... if you like it you have the perfect excuse to buy another bike!  (N+1)

I started on a MTB and it is fun. I have a TT tonight  uphill about a mile I think. I didnt have to buy a bike as I already have a Turner Sultan. There is a Facebook page? I have not been invited to it

Edited by mbehr1983 2013-06-06 1:50 PM
2013-06-06 5:47 PM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by badgerintx

I started on a MTB and it is fun. I have a TT tonight  uphill about a mile I think. I didnt have to buy a bike as I already have a Turner Sultan. There is a Facebook page? I have not been invited to it

No, there isn't an FB MG page, but a bunch of us are friends with each other on FB.  If you want to start with me, look up Suzy Shain!

Enjoy that TT!

2013-06-07 9:42 AM

User image

Veteran

Things are heating up and Summer is almost here.  Who's going to represent this weekend and show 'em how it's done?

I'm wondering if you train alone or with friends?  What do you think are the benefits and drawbacks of each?

I'm at a rest stop somewhere in Ohio on my way to New Jersey for the summer.  No time for fancy formatting. 

Just spilled my breakfast on my computer and was cleaning it off a lost everything I just wrote. No time to rewrite so suffice to say I am typing the short version. I am not racing this weekend

I like training alone and at times with others. I most enjoy biking with others out of the three sports. I would rather swim laps on my own but enjoy OWS with a group. All depends if I have specific goals i want to accomplish while train if I am going to train with others.

2013-06-07 1:38 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

No racing for me this weekend.  Instead I'm going to start training like a triathlete again.  I'm spending the summer  (8 weeks) in New Jersey doing an internship.  I'm excited about the change of scenery, I've found the local gym, and I'm getting settled in.  I very rarely train with other people--except ows and an occasional run.  I don't seem to need others for motivation, and I hate the feeling that I might be slowing someone else down. 

Hey Bruce, aren't you from NJ?  What area?  Maybe we could go for a run sometime if you don't mind me slowing me down Wink

2013-06-07 5:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL
Let the fun begin! Started my 70.3 program this week. The workouts start next week with 2300 m or yds not sure wich one. I have not swam that far yet eeek. I have attached for your viewing pleasure

Attachments
----------------
2013 Tri 70.3 Training Plan.pdf (309KB - 24 downloads)
2013-06-08 6:08 PM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by mbehr1983 Let the fun begin! Started my 70.3 program this week. The workouts start next week with 2300 m or yds not sure wich one. I have not swam that far yet eeek. I have attached for your viewing pleasure

Is this a swim focused HIM plan???? lots of specific direction for swimming, but less for the bike and run.

2013-06-08 6:26 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

New user
Still no race plans here. I love training with friends. I'm lucky in that we all seem to train at similar paces - especially for running. It's also our main opportunity to catch up with each other. I don't mind training alone, though. I'm actually stuck on a treadmill quite a bit due to my husband's work schedule (or if we're fighting over training time.)

In other news... I went for a ride with a friend this morning and I am now able to stand up on my new bike! Woohoo! And I can sort of grab the water bottle, too. Well, I can get it out and take a drink, but putting it back is still tricky. Ahhh... the little victories...
2013-06-08 8:15 PM
in reply to: JillB

User image

Master
Maryland
Injured foot is healing well. 4am runs, no one would want to do that with me! I don't like the pool but will go back next week. And since I am afraid of being run off the road, I am planning on starting up again in spin class which helps me gain strength on the bike. My husband is my occasional cycling partner which is great!
After I complete a race I want to start right again...but I don't. I know myself and my body enough that I need rest! It is exciting though, once you register for the next one!
2013-06-08 9:26 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Got the $hit kicked out of me today.  My "training plan" (the one I haven't followed since my 50K race a month ago) called for 24 miles, and my next (50K) race is in 5 weeks.  So, I decided 16 miles would be a good distance.  Ha ha ha ha ha ha.  I took my hydration vest (full) two gels, a clif bar, and a honey stinger.  I thought I was good to go, and I was for about 6 miles.......and then the wheels fell off.  OMG I had no energy, and the nutrition didn't seem to make any difference.  Then around mile 10 my calves started cramping, and my mile 13 I was out of water.  I feel like I probably walked 6 of the 16 miles (probably more), but I just didn't have ANYTHING to give.  Biggest mistake was the lack of electrolytes, second biggest mistake was thinking I could just go out an run 16 miles given my lack of training the last few weeks.  Live and learn. 

All in all, there were some great people I met on the trail and the scenery was BEAUTIFUL.  There was this one guy who pulled over where a road crossed the trail.  He was in a suit (on his way to a wedding) and carrying a shoe box.  It turns out a bird hit his car as he was driving down the road, so he stopped to attempt to revive it, but the poor thing didn't make it, so he was giving it a "proper" burial.  Nice!

Edited by jfought 2013-06-08 9:27 PM

2013-06-08 10:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL
Originally posted by SSMinnow

Originally posted by mbehr1983 Let the fun begin! Started my 70.3 program this week. The workouts start next week with 2300 m or yds not sure wich one. I have not swam that far yet eeek. I have attached for your viewing pleasure

Is this a swim focused HIM plan???? lots of specific direction for swimming, but less for the bike and run.

I don't think so. they said they just do this in the beginning to get us in the water. I added all the sets up and its about 500 short or do I need help reading it wrong?

Edited by mbehr1983 2013-06-08 10:04 PM
2013-06-08 11:09 PM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Elite
san francisco
Originally posted by Terps421

Injured foot is healing well. 4am runs, no one would want to do that with me! I don't like the pool but will go back next week. And since I am afraid of being run off the road, I am planning on starting up again in spin class which helps me gain strength on the bike. My husband is my occasional cycling partner which is great!
After I complete a race I want to start right again...but I don't. I know myself and my body enough that I need rest! It is exciting though, once you register for the next one!

Except for me! Ripley and I would be waiting outside your door at 4!
2013-06-09 1:12 AM
in reply to: kt65

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Jayne,

That sounds strange.  Was the weather much hotter and more humid than what you are used to?   Did you eat a meal sometime before starting your run?  You should be able to get to 6 miles without water or gel.

2013-06-09 6:33 AM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by SSMinnow

I don't think so. they said they just do this in the beginning to get us in the water. I added all the sets up and its about 500 short or do I need help reading it wrong?

Hmmm.  The first swim doesn't add up correctly and the descending 25 swim actually has you doing 3,150 if I am reading it correctly.  Lots of swimming and I don't totally understand the over distancing so early in the plan. hey, what do I know?  I am not even a swimmer!

2013-06-09 9:39 AM
in reply to: dcon

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Originally posted by dcon

Jayne,

That sounds strange.  Was the weather much hotter and more humid than what you are used to?   Did you eat a meal sometime before starting your run?  You should be able to get to 6 miles without water or gel.

Dan, the first 6 miles were fine, it was the 12 more I did after that where I struggled.

2013-06-09 9:57 AM

User image

Veteran

Jayne,

Dan, the first 6 miles were fine, it was the 12 more I did after that where I struggled.

Jayne the fact that you were out there working on 16 is very impressive. From what I read in your blogs you have been busy and not training much. I am sure you will get the endurance back in no time.
2013-06-09 10:49 AM

User image

Champion

Jayne,

Well, you've been pretty busy with the school trip and now relocating that it is possible you're just really run down and that your nutrition in the days leading up to it was a little off.  You have a great base, I am sure it'll come back quickly.

PS.  I don't agree with Dan on the hydration. I think the best bet is to start drinking H20 the way you do in a race when you're running distances like you are.  I don't think this had anything to do with the bonk though.  For me, that usually the 2m mark in something like a marathon and then every drink station thereafter.

2013-06-09 12:42 PM
in reply to: kt65

User image

Originally posted by kt65
Originally posted by Terps421 Injured foot is healing well. 4am runs, no one would want to do that with me! I don't like the pool but will go back next week. And since I am afraid of being run off the road, I am planning on starting up again in spin class which helps me gain strength on the bike. My husband is my occasional cycling partner which is great! After I complete a race I want to start right again...but I don't. I know myself and my body enough that I need rest! It is exciting though, once you register for the next one!
Except for me! Ripley and I would be waiting outside your door at 4!

Me too!

2013-06-09 5:02 PM
in reply to: gotta run

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
oops - did not mean to imply you should not drink early.  I thought the wheels literally came off at mile 6 and was just saying that should not happen....even if you don't drink and take gels before that.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 44