BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2013-06-01 7:33 AM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - OPENED
Wow!  I have no idea what happened to my last post!  I quit trying to change the format after 6 attempts.

2013-06-01 7:37 AM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by BigDaddyD79 Not sure if this will work but here`s the pic. I`m lucky Ive got a rock hard head and nothing was broken. Worked now I need to learn to resize pics, lol.

That looks like it was NO FUN!  But, chicks dig scars!  Of course that may not be so cool if you're married.  My only "disfiguring" injury was a broken nose when I was a kid that left the septum of my nose crooked still today.

2013-06-01 8:09 AM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by Jo63 Not sure what's going on with me Iam feeling a little drained this week and it's a recovery week, opted to bump my swim to tomorrow and take a break today, I Actually have to work tomorrow, I haven't worked a Saturday in over a year, I have a mother of the bride to do, it's always fun to be a part of those special days then it's about a 8ish mile run and my swim.

It depends on what type of fatigue you're feeling if yo need to take some time off.  It's almost never going to hurt you to take an additional day off to recover unless you're using a lot of days off or making excuses to to reduce volume because you simply don't feel like doing the prescribed workouts for the day.  You certainly don't appear to be in either category.

Enjoy your run and swim but don't be afraid to allow some fatigue to set in.

Originally posted by trigal38

Well I got my bike to the shop today and they got the spring out for me right there while I waited. I was so excited but then I remembered the bent spoke I have been riding with. I had to leave the bike to get that fixed so I'm down to my hybrid for a week and the HIM aqua/bike I was thinking about is next Sunday. So, I think I'll just volunteer at that race. My longest ride so far this spring is 40 miles so I'm really not very prepared.

We've had some stormy weather here with lots of rain. Nasty winds blew through with the thunderstorm we had last night and have left our little town with lots of damage - trees, silos, barns, play sets, siding and fences down and a semi blew over on the highway that runs through town. Our house managed just fine with really nothing very serious. More bad stuff is coming. My sister lives in OK so I'm more worried about her than us but so far they have not been hit with anything. They live in Edmond OK which is not far from OK City.

LOL a hybrid for a HIM aqua bike?  Yeah I think I would skip that too.  I suppose they are going to do a little more service to your bike too.  Right now our new LBS is having turn around on service in 48 hours because they just opened the doors.  That is unlikely to last though.  Once people see the new store and word spreads they be pretty busy.  The other LBS in town has had little or no competition for several years and has taken advantage of that.  I have basically refused to buy much of anything there if I could get it anywhere else.

We had the same storm system move through our area overnight but it was little more than really heavy rains.  Apparently there are numerous city streets closed due to flooding.  We didn't have any of the extreme winds that you had and I'm perfectly fine with that!  I can do without the storm work for...............the rest of my career.

With everything that's going on in Oklahoma right now they could use the break from the storms for a while.  I'll keep your sister in my prayers.

2013-06-01 10:22 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
The month of May was a much better month for me and I'm on track to increase the volume over the next 3 months. June I may take a little hit since I will be spending 3 days in Dallas the week after next for training and I have two races in June. I plan on killing it in July and August though with only 99 more days I need to take advantage of every one of those days.

May's totals:

Swim 9h 53m 35s - 23200 M
Bike 30h 49m 20s - 538.02 Mi
Run 21h 54m 16s - 122.16 Mi
2013-06-01 10:52 AM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Man, you guys are putting up a lot of big numbers. I had pretty much a lazy month.

Swim: 13,500 yds, started th smooth around 19,000yds so this is a strong improvement.

Bike: 187 miles

Run: 47 miles, what the? Talk about lazy!

I pretty much took the 1st 2 weeks of the month off to allow for some recovery time, I think going into the HM I was starting to get a little beat down. Now I feel strong and with the HiM plan starting I feel good. Now I just need to do a better job of scheduling my time, the rain today is going to cause me to miss the long bike ride, and tomorrow is family day!

I did get some training in today in the form of a local 5k and managed to EXPLODE in the middle of it, actually around mile 2.25. But I knew I was in trouble early on and was just trying to hang on. As always started with a buddy and told him I was going to keep up with him for as long as I could. Made it over 1.5 miles before he started pulling away. Hit mile 1 at 6:23, mile 2 at 13:43 and finished at 21:56! So really lost it on the last mile, probably could of done a lot better if I would started at a 6:45 pace but what's the point if you don't go over the top sometimes. I have another 5k next week and this time I'm going to try and stay with Austin until the 2 mile mark! First things First though, I have a 10k scheduled tomorrow that I need to decide how hard to run, thinking about an easy 7:30 pace, but also thinking about.......
2013-06-01 11:28 AM

User image

Bronze member
Originally posted by DirkP

Originally posted by Jo63 Not sure what's going on with me Iam feeling a little drained this week and it's a recovery week, opted to bump my swim to tomorrow and take a break today, I Actually have to work tomorrow, I haven't worked a Saturday in over a year, I have a mother of the bride to do, it's always fun to be a part of those special days then it's about a 8ish mile run and my swim.

It depends on what type of fatigue you're feeling if yo need to take some time off.  It's almost never going to hurt you to take an additional day off to recover unless you're using a lot of days off or making excuses to to reduce volume because you simply don't feel like doing the prescribed workouts for the day.  You certainly don't appear to be in either category.

Enjoy your run and swim but don't be afraid to allow some fatigue to set in.

Originally posted by trigal38

Well I got my bike to the shop today and they got the spring out for me right there while I waited. I was so excited but then I remembered the bent spoke I have been riding with. I had to leave the bike to get that fixed so I'm down to my hybrid for a week and the HIM aqua/bike I was thinking about is next Sunday. So, I think I'll just volunteer at that race. My longest ride so far this spring is 40 miles so I'm really not very prepared.

We've had some stormy weather here with lots of rain. Nasty winds blew through with the thunderstorm we had last night and have left our little town with lots of damage - trees, silos, barns, play sets, siding and fences down and a semi blew over on the highway that runs through town. Our house managed just fine with really nothing very serious. More bad stuff is coming. My sister lives in OK so I'm more worried about her than us but so far they have not been hit with anything. They live in Edmond OK which is not far from OK City.

LOL a hybrid for a HIM aqua bike?  Yeah I think I would skip that too.  I suppose they are going to do a little more service to your bike too.  Right now our new LBS is having turn around on service in 48 hours because they just opened the doors.  That is unlikely to last though.  Once people see the new store and word spreads they be pretty busy.  The other LBS in town has had little or no competition for several years and has taken advantage of that.  I have basically refused to buy much of anything there if I could get it anywhere else.

We had the same storm system move through our area overnight but it was little more than really heavy rains.  Apparently there are numerous city streets closed due to flooding.  We didn't have any of the extreme winds that you had and I'm perfectly fine with that!  I can do without the storm work for...............the rest of my career.

With everything that's going on in Oklahoma right now they could use the break from the storms for a while.  I'll keep your sister in my prayers.

OMG - NO! This is what my hybrid looks like complete with kick stand except in blue:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIANT-CYPRESS-WOMENS-HYBRID-COMFORT-BIKE-/261219041643?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item3cd1de416b

I don't even think I could ride that far on it much less race! I think it is more of a comfort bike compared to the hybrids I see at the bike shops now. I'd have to look for sure but I think this bike must be almost 10 years old.

I've started the search for my next bike. I would really like something that I can ride on the road but that also can handle some of the dirt or gravel I sometimes run into on the country roads around here.  I was thinking about a cyclocross bike but I've pretty much ruled that out after talking to the guys at the shop yesterday.

2013-06-01 2:53 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Dirk, dont make me run more... Do you know how hot it is here? Besides, I havent even signed up for the IM yet (I need to go ahead and pull the trigger)... and my plan hasnt even started yet... and I hate running. Seriously though, I've got a week in June and 10 days in July where I will be on mission trips, so no bike and no swim. I'm a little scared of what those are going to do to my training, but I do plan on figuring out how to get some runs in on those trips...

Started June off right w/ a 66 mile ride and 1 mile run right off the bike. I usually take Sundays as a rest day, but thinking about getting a little open water swim in w/ some friends...
2013-06-01 3:14 PM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by mambos

Man, you guys are putting up a lot of big numbers. I had pretty much a lazy month.

Swim: 13,500 yds, started th smooth around 19,000yds so this is a strong improvement.

Bike: 187 miles

Run: 47 miles, what the? Talk about lazy!

I pretty much took the 1st 2 weeks of the month off to allow for some recovery time, I think going into the HM I was starting to get a little beat down. Now I feel strong and with the HiM plan starting I feel good. Now I just need to do a better job of scheduling my time, the rain today is going to cause me to miss the long bike ride, and tomorrow is family day!

I did get some training in today in the form of a local 5k and managed to EXPLODE in the middle of it, actually around mile 2.25. But I knew I was in trouble early on and was just trying to hang on. As always started with a buddy and told him I was going to keep up with him for as long as I could. Made it over 1.5 miles before he started pulling away. Hit mile 1 at 6:23, mile 2 at 13:43 and finished at 21:56! So really lost it on the last mile, probably could of done a lot better if I would started at a 6:45 pace but what's the point if you don't go over the top sometimes. I have another 5k next week and this time I'm going to try and stay with Austin until the 2 mile mark! First things First though, I have a 10k scheduled tomorrow that I need to decide how hard to run, thinking about an easy 7:30 pace, but also thinking about.......

Matt that is pretty freakin good time to do a 5K in. I know that might be slow for you guys but I seriously don't think I could break 24 minutes. Good luck with the 10K and yeah you know you're not going to take it easy LOL!
2013-06-01 3:19 PM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by pistuo

Dirk, dont make me run more... Do you know how hot it is here? Besides, I havent even signed up for the IM yet (I need to go ahead and pull the trigger)... and my plan hasnt even started yet... and I hate running. Seriously though, I've got a week in June and 10 days in July where I will be on mission trips, so no bike and no swim. I'm a little scared of what those are going to do to my training, but I do plan on figuring out how to get some runs in on those trips...

Started June off right w/ a 66 mile ride and 1 mile run right off the bike. I usually take Sundays as a rest day, but thinking about getting a little open water swim in w/ some friends...

Will I agree with Dirk you'll probably have to get the run mileage up and I can't say I blame you for not wanting to run in the Texas heat. However you don't have to kill yourself running. The IM run is less like a marathon and really more about time on your feet. Plus the more you bike the more it will help your run however you don't want to totally neglect the run and you defintiely don't want to be doing the march of death during the IM run.
2013-06-01 3:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
So my wife and I, and our 10 month old daughter, drove to my parents place this morning, they are only an hour from the race tomorrow. The temps hit the mid 80's, 90's with the humidex, it was too nice of day and area not to get a ride in, lol. I managed to at least keep myself to 22k and a ver easy pace. It was hard, it's a great riding area, rolling hills, Oceanside, etc. I could have done 200k with a smile. I'm sure there will be time for that this summer,
2013-06-01 6:57 PM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
May Totals:

Swim: 2h 51m 02s - 6640 Yd
Bike: 8h 36m 58s - 133.12 Mi
Run: 4h 43m 55s - 29.23 Mi
Strength: 4h 35m
Adventure Racing: 2h 40m

Matt - You are looking really good next to my numbers! Hahahaha..

May was a hectic month and kjnew it was going to be crazy in March. I'm now ready to look at what June has in store for me. I started the month off with a bang - did a 10.5 mile dirt road run with 34 other crazy as part of an organized so called "fun" run. I took it wasy and held 9:30 the whole time and was very cautious about my step since I am nursing a sprained ankle.

I honestly felt like I could have run another 6 miles when I was done. I have never felt like that before. After pizza (which was provided), I snuck over to the pool and knocked out a short swim, only 12 laps, but man it felt good after running in ridiculously hot, humid, dirt roads that had me covered in red clay.

(MillPondSmall1.jpg)

(Millpond RUn.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
MillPondSmall1.jpg (96KB - 13 downloads)
Millpond RUn.jpg (34KB - 14 downloads)

2013-06-01 7:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

Originally posted by BigDaddyD79 Not sure if this will work but here`s the pic. I`m lucky Ive got a rock hard head and nothing was broken. Worked now I need to learn to resize pics, lol.

That looks like it was NO FUN!  But, chicks dig scars!  Of course that may not be so cool if you're married.  My only "disfiguring" injury was a broken nose when I was a kid that left the septum of my nose crooked still today.

I've got my fair share of scars... do guys dig scars on chicks? LOL!

However... I must validate Dirk's comment, yes, we dig scars.
2013-06-01 8:43 PM
in reply to: jenbmosley

User image

Bronze member

Here are my May totals for s/b/r:

Swim: 9h 10m - 21850 Yd
Bike: 13h 45m 25s - 186.19 Mi
Run: 7h 50m 04s - 47.28 Mi

Jenn, nice job on the race!
2013-06-02 6:27 AM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by pistuo Dirk, dont make me run more... Do you know how hot it is here? Besides, I havent even signed up for the IM yet (I need to go ahead and pull the trigger)... and my plan hasnt even started yet... and I hate running. Seriously though, I've got a week in June and 10 days in July where I will be on mission trips, so no bike and no swim. I'm a little scared of what those are going to do to my training, but I do plan on figuring out how to get some runs in on those trips... Started June off right w/ a 66 mile ride and 1 mile run right off the bike. I usually take Sundays as a rest day, but thinking about getting a little open water swim in w/ some friends...

Hot?  Psh! Ain't nobody got time for dat!  Suck it up and put on your big boy pants because in a few months you'll be panicking and wondering why you didn't start running sooner.  Maybe you can have your wife ride next to you on her bike with a 2 gallon yard sprayer filled with water to keep you cool during your runs.

I'll assume since you mention you need to go ahead and sign up that your vacation has been approved so you can make the trip?  And yes!!!  Sign up for it if that is indeed the case.  That is if you really want to do it.  While it is not an actual race for you to train for yet, it offers an excuse to train a little more lightly and make excuses to train the disciplines you like more and the one's you don't like less.

Don't worry about 1 week away from riding and swimming, that's not going to hurt you.  As long as you keep the volume building that you are and keep the training base going into those couple of weeks I would simply consider them recovery weeks and not even sweat it at all.  However, once you hit those weeks, you're very likely to suffer from a sort of training "depression" because of the normal weeks' activities.  Just remind yourself that it was all in the plan...........

..........Now!!  Put your running shoes on a get a few miles in!

2013-06-02 6:40 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Yesterday was a complete wash for me!  The rain that Dina got earlier was here in the morning but appeared to be moving out of the area a few hours after I got out of bed.  I was in my cycling gear, bottles filled, nutrition in my jersey and was literally walking out the door when my phone rang.............Broken pole...........

Long ride foiled by rain and a broken pole! Sometimes #linework sucks #triathlonproblems

...........I had my route planned and was looking to get about 65-75 miles on the bike, 2-3 mile run and then off to a graduation party for some really good friends of ours son who just made it through HS.  We actually never replaced the pole and only scabbed it up.  After 3-4 inches of rain over night we were in no way going to be able to get into the field and replace the pole.....

Anyway, we were at the party until 6:30 and helped clean up and hung out for a while and when we got home Lis and I watch some TV together, which is something I don't do much.  It was actually a good time for us just to sit together.  We watched Blue Bloods (AWESOME show!!) on the DVR and we had 3 episodes we hadn't seen so and they were all REALLY good one's.

Today should be a good day for a long bike and a 4 mile run to get back on schedule for the coming week.

2013-06-02 8:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
!

Psh! Ain't nobody got time for dat!

That's for the morning laugh Dirk... We use that phrase all the time, I will even randomly text it to all the kids and it always gives everyone a good chuckle!

2013-06-02 8:42 AM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Dina how's your sister? Hope she didn't get hit too hard.

Jen...look at you taking pictures while you are running! Thats awesome. Did you ever decide if you are coming to Milwaukee in August?

So yesterday i couldn't get it together. finally in the afternoon I got ready to run, sat down for just a minute and fell asleep for about and hour and a half, So I missed my run and swim. Then I went to bed at 10 and woke up this morning at 8. OMG I guess I was just plain old tired lol, I feel amazingly better today. I need to learn how to listen to my body better, Iam so worried that I will end up like I did last year, that I have to keep reminding myself how much I have learned about keeping myself healthy.
2013-06-02 2:10 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Subject: RE: ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED
Today, I volunteered at our annual TriKids Triathlon.  I was a lap counter in the pool.  Those kids were so stinking cute!  Mike Pigg is one of the directors of the race.  During one of the breaks between swim waves, I mentioned that I needed to go for a run after this volunteering.  He said "after standing on this concrete pool deck for three hours?  You should go home and put your feet up and run later."  OK.  Free advice from a master!  I will do as you say!  Thank you!
2013-06-02 5:46 PM
in reply to: RunningYogini

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Looks like everyone had a busy weekend. I got my first OWS in this morning and my longest bike ride ever 70 miles! Yay! Well I can't say it was all smooth sailing though.

I met a group for the swim and part of the bike ride. The plan was do the short out and back at the lake which is about 1/2 mile. I could not complete the first out and back. I just could not get comfortable or in any sort of rythym. The water was choppy and there was a current from south to north so it wasn't easy going for my first OWS. I went like halfway and I'm thinking what is going on? Why can't I do this? So I turned around and came back. The second time out was much better. Made it on the out and swam well on the way back. I'll chalk it up to my first swim of the season in not so calm water. The good news is the new DeSoto wetsuit fits perfect and is awesome. I love it.

I get back to my van and go to unlock it and I realize that I took the house key off the key ring and not the car key DOH! Thankfully my wife came down and bailed me out but I felt like an idiot. I held the group up for at least 30 minutes. They were really nice about it thankfully. That's the first time I've done that but I have been sort of waiting for this to happen and it did. I also forgot to start my Garmin so I'm missing like 6 miles of my rride there and my HR monitor must not have synced up because I had no HR data and yes I did remember to put the strap on.

The bike ride was tough. I rode with the group and did 34 miles with them on pretty much the olympic bike course for Riverhead Rocks tri so I was familiar but we kept the pace moderate because we had different levels of ability on the bike and we did not want anyone to get dropped. That was alright since I still had more riding to do and the wind really picked up. I rode two more loops of about 18 or so miles and going up and down Route 51 was brutal! Three freakin Sunday's in a row now! I ride in alot of wind and am used to it but man I had to work hard going up and even coming down the hills I felt like I was going nowhere. I think I must have been doing 9 to 13 mph up and maybe 14 or 15 mph down. I was pretty much dropping F-bombs all over the place riding this stretch of road. The rest of the loop wasn't that bad but I burned alot of matches on 51 so the numbers for the ride are not very impressive.

I think it was just over 70 miles for 4:14 but the slower pace with the group and the ungodly wind I had to deal with really slowed me down. I wasn't very happy while riding through that but I know I got a really good workout and it will payoff later on. So overall a good solid workout today even with all the obstacles today.
2013-06-02 6:23 PM

User image

NH
I'll try to get on later to comment on all of the goings on. Prayers to all in OK and Matt, that was a killer 10k today.

Here's my May totals:
Swim: Normal --> ZERO!
Bike: 21h 14m 55s - 404.57 Mi
Run: 14h 51m 51s - 95.55 Mi

Got to start swimming in the lake soon. Gave Kathy a day and a half at the cottage alone as a mental health break, but i did get up there for a very short weekend. Water is 61, so next time I go I'll start swimming.

It is HOT around here this weekend - high 90s and humid. I did get a nice 3 hour ride with some great hills early yesterday morning and I gotta get out for a run tonight so I'm waiting for the rain to start and cool me off.
2013-06-02 7:13 PM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Well the first race of the season is in the books. I'm pretty happy considering this was only my second tri ever. I'll do up a race report tomorrow but here are a few details. Last year I did a sprint with a lake swim and a 22k bike in 1:27:30 for reference. This being a pool swim you had to provide a estimated time for seeding. I was in the third last wave at 3:00pm. Swim went ok. I wanted about 12:30 ended up with 13:10 that was with a run outside to transition. There was a reason I wasn't faster but ill leave that for the RR. Started the bike in about 4th or 5th. I picked off a few people in the first 2-3k easy. After that we had 3 laps of an Air Force runway. I reeled in the last few people in my heat on the first lap and then kept the hammer down. I know I'm not that strong of a runner and needed to get a bit of a lead. Came off the bike first in my heat. Started the run and my legs felt pretty heavy, I had hoped to run about a 4:35min/km butvreally struggled to get to 4:50. I'm hoping this is due to the heat and the fact that I did zero taper as I kind of just used this race as a training day. I got passed at the turn around and couldn't keep pace, but I did hold off my next pursuer for second in my heat. Over all, I finished 14th/150 and 5/30 in my AG. Time was 1:15:46. Really wanted to go sub 1:15 but my run wasn't there. I've got another sprint that is almost identical at another Air Force base in two weeks. I'm going to try and taper or that one and hopefully I can move up a few spots for a top 10 or an AG podium. I learned quite a bit today. Ill go a bit more into detail in the RR but overall it was a great day.

2013-06-02 7:39 PM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Matt congrats on the 10 K today and nice work following it up with that bike ride home.

Derek congrats on finishing so well at your sprint tri today. It sounds like you had a really good race, looking forward to the RR.
2013-06-02 7:40 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by strikyr Looks like everyone had a busy weekend. I got my first OWS in this morning and my longest bike ride ever 70 miles! Yay! Well I can't say it was all smooth sailing though. I met a group for the swim and part of the bike ride. The plan was do the short out and back at the lake which is about 1/2 mile. I could not complete the first out and back. I just could not get comfortable or in any sort of rythym. The water was choppy and there was a current from south to north so it wasn't easy going for my first OWS. I went like halfway and I'm thinking what is going on? Why can't I do this? So I turned around and came back. The second time out was much better. Made it on the out and swam well on the way back. I'll chalk it up to my first swim of the season in not so calm water. The good news is the new DeSoto wetsuit fits perfect and is awesome. I love it. I get back to my van and go to unlock it and I realize that I took the house key off the key ring and not the car key DOH! Thankfully my wife came down and bailed me out but I felt like an idiot. I held the group up for at least 30 minutes. They were really nice about it thankfully. That's the first time I've done that but I have been sort of waiting for this to happen and it did. I also forgot to start my Garmin so I'm missing like 6 miles of my rride there and my HR monitor must not have synced up because I had no HR data and yes I did remember to put the strap on. The bike ride was tough. I rode with the group and did 34 miles with them on pretty much the olympic bike course for Riverhead Rocks tri so I was familiar but we kept the pace moderate because we had different levels of ability on the bike and we did not want anyone to get dropped. That was alright since I still had more riding to do and the wind really picked up. I rode two more loops of about 18 or so miles and going up and down Route 51 was brutal! Three freakin Sunday's in a row now! I ride in alot of wind and am used to it but man I had to work hard going up and even coming down the hills I felt like I was going nowhere. I think I must have been doing 9 to 13 mph up and maybe 14 or 15 mph down. I was pretty much dropping F-bombs all over the place riding this stretch of road. The rest of the loop wasn't that bad but I burned alot of matches on 51 so the numbers for the ride are not very impressive. I think it was just over 70 miles for 4:14 but the slower pace with the group and the ungodly wind I had to deal with really slowed me down. I wasn't very happy while riding through that but I know I got a really good workout and it will payoff later on. So overall a good solid workout today even with all the obstacles today.

It doesn't sound like tings were working your way today.  I have an extra key hidden on my truck to allow for such occurrences.  I have told people where I've hidden the key before and they have been unable to find it so I don't worry about thieves finding it.

The bike sounds rough but you have to get used to riding the wind.  You never know what's going to happen on any given race day.  I used to do the same thing as you, with exception of the F-bombs, when riding into the wind.  Occasionally I still get pretty upset but I have learned to accept the wind around here as others accept the hills where they ride.  This time of year it is almost never calm.  Today for instance: I rode 83 miles and dealt with a 13 MPH steady wind and gusts to 21 MPH.  The route I used was all over the compass so I was into and out of the wind every 4-5 miles and that can be a good game changer when dealing with the wind.  I suggest you plan routes such as that if you can do it.  It will probably save you a lot of swearing.

My long ride today was pretty solid.  I was struggling toward the end because My legs were getting trashed.  I was able to plan a route that had a lot of hills (for this area) and I allowed a lot of work on them.  I circled the route once to make sure I got some good wear and climbing on my legs.  The total elevation change on my ride was 2700+ feet and I intentionally put the hills on the back half of the route to make sure I had some fatigue in my legs before I hit them.  I loved the challenge of the hills but the last 15 miles had me suffering a bit because my legs wanted the break.

I planned a 4 mile brick run but my legs were broken down enough that I sat for a little bit, used the weed eater, mowed the grass and got a flower garden ready (with soil) for Lis to plant some stuff before I went for my run.  I ran 4.25 miles easy, so nothing big.  All in all it was a good day.

2013-06-02 7:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally posted by strikyr

Looks like everyone had a busy weekend. I got my first OWS in this morning and my longest bike ride ever 70 miles! Yay! Well I can't say it was all smooth sailing though.

I met a group for the swim and part of the bike ride. The plan was do the short out and back at the lake which is about 1/2 mile. I could not complete the first out and back. I just could not get comfortable or in any sort of rythym. The water was choppy and there was a current from south to north so it wasn't easy going for my first OWS. I went like halfway and I'm thinking what is going on? Why can't I do this? So I turned around and came back. The second time out was much better. Made it on the out and swam well on the way back. I'll chalk it up to my first swim of the season in not so calm water. The good news is the new DeSoto wetsuit fits perfect and is awesome. I love it.

I get back to my van and go to unlock it and I realize that I took the house key off the key ring and not the car key DOH! Thankfully my wife came down and bailed me out but I felt like an idiot. I held the group up for at least 30 minutes. They were really nice about it thankfully. That's the first time I've done that but I have been sort of waiting for this to happen and it did. I also forgot to start my Garmin so I'm missing like 6 miles of my rride there and my HR monitor must not have synced up because I had no HR data and yes I did remember to put the strap on.

The bike ride was tough. I rode with the group and did 34 miles with them on pretty much the olympic bike course for Riverhead Rocks tri so I was familiar but we kept the pace moderate because we had different levels of ability on the bike and we did not want anyone to get dropped. That was alright since I still had more riding to do and the wind really picked up. I rode two more loops of about 18 or so miles and going up and down Route 51 was brutal! Three freakin Sunday's in a row now! I ride in alot of wind and am used to it but man I had to work hard going up and even coming down the hills I felt like I was going nowhere. I think I must have been doing 9 to 13 mph up and maybe 14 or 15 mph down. I was pretty much dropping F-bombs all over the place riding this stretch of road. The rest of the loop wasn't that bad but I burned alot of matches on 51 so the numbers for the ride are not very impressive.

I think it was just over 70 miles for 4:14 but the slower pace with the group and the ungodly wind I had to deal with really slowed me down. I wasn't very happy while riding through that but I know I got a really good workout and it will payoff later on. So overall a good solid workout today even with all the obstacles today.

This reminds me of myself, living on the ocean surrounded on three sides by water, no matter what way you ride it always into the wind on the way back. 20mph winds with gusts of 30-40 is pretty commen. I've had to godown steep hills in the granny gear, lol. I've dropped a foul word or two myself. I not just smile and remember that it makes me a stronger rider.
2013-06-02 8:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Dirk, when I saw the pic of the telephone pole, I pictured you just walking up to it and standing it back up...

Saw this run to support Boston and thought you might want to check it out... The Texas section is no where near me.
http://www.onerunforboston.org/

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114