BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2015-02-15 6:12 AM
in reply to: #5078752

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED
For my first Tri last year I wore a tri suit with a sports bra under it and was perfectly comfortable through the whole race. It was very no fuss, and I highly recommend. A friend of mine had a zip front tri suit, which looked much easier to get into than mine. I would recommend that if you have the option!
Isn't gear fun?

2015-02-15 7:49 AM
in reply to: #5093417

User image

Lizfuze:
I'm also doing the 22 week sprint program. So far, I'm having the same experience as you. I'm in the 3rd week and it's pretty easy. The hardest thing is finding the time every day. I tell myself "Either I'm training for a triathlon or I'm not" and that gets me going.
2015-02-15 9:50 AM
in reply to: Team-S

User image

Hello Everyone,
I am glad people are able to get into the pool now. Also Todd it sounds like you had a perfect ride. I seemed to have picked up the flu or cold or what ever it is. I have a fever off and on. I did a walk yesterday while at my son's soccer game. I tried to run but my chest was burning. I didn't have a fever at the time. I have decided to just take it easy. My tri isn't until August and I have time. It just bums me out because I was getting into a rythem. I had a good week overall so I know I will bounce back.

I read not to work out if you have a fever or a cough. Anything in the head is ok. Is this true?

My husband found a small road bike online for my youngest. Now the whole family has a roadbike. I guess the equation for how many bikes does a person need is n+1. We have 7 and need to sell my old comfort bike.

2015-02-15 10:38 AM
in reply to: nekomidori

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thank you for all the responses in ref. to the HR Charge. I have read that there are some accuracy issues with the HR, but then again by Garmin 910 has shown me at times to have a HR of 239, which I know was not the case. I now know that it does not have true GPS mapping so to speak, but I guess the question I should have asked is does it measure distance with GPS or just a step / foot pod type calculation that ball parks distance, because that would likely be a deal breaker for me. I have the foot pod with my 910 and can tell you that it is never right, and some time not even close to my true distance.
2015-02-15 10:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Team-S

Lizfuze:
I'm also doing the 22 week sprint program. So far, I'm having the same experience as you. I'm in the 3rd week and it's pretty easy. The hardest thing is finding the time every day. I tell myself "Either I'm training for a triathlon or I'm not" and that gets me going.

Yall enjoy it will you got it because most plans will take you from where you are now to you asking how you're going to get everything done and / or feeling it's almost to difficult. The program yall are doing does start very slow but that is because it takes a beginner into consideration, but more so is that way to help you develop a routine of working out WHILE balancing life. If you notice more than just you has said that it was easy but finding time is the hard part, this is what it's preparing you for right now. The required time is only going to increase, so it is better to find a way now then have it thrown on you all at once.
2015-02-15 10:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by nekomidori

Hello Everyone,
I am glad people are able to get into the pool now. Also Todd it sounds like you had a perfect ride. I seemed to have picked up the flu or cold or what ever it is. I have a fever off and on. I did a walk yesterday while at my son's soccer game. I tried to run but my chest was burning. I didn't have a fever at the time. I have decided to just take it easy. My tri isn't until August and I have time. It just bums me out because I was getting into a rythem. I had a good week overall so I know I will bounce back.

I read not to work out if you have a fever or a cough. Anything in the head is ok. Is this true?

Nicole, I don't have a set rule or go by any set rules. If I think I can get in a workout while sick without making things worse I will do so. If I think working out while just drain me further and leave me sicker then I don't do it. I think of it like this, If I am so sick that my workout will not be effective due to my compensation for the illness then it's probably not worth it and I don't do it. Some times the body needs to shut down so to speak in order to heal up. I can tell you this though, a lot of times when I have bad sinus problems I do force myself to go swim because for some reason the chlorine and breathing just helps me get some of the crap out of my nose and throat.

2015-02-15 10:47 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well not a perfect day today for my run but dang close enough (59, cloudy, no wind)

Did a nice even tempo 4 mile run to finish out week 2 of my training plan.

I hope everyone else had a productive weekend.
2015-02-15 1:02 PM
in reply to: #5093423

User image

Hi Folks,
I am also doing the 22 week sprint training program and am now in wk 2. I am, however, substituting snow shoveling for strength training work-outs Today is blizzard # 4 in 4 weeks! I shoveled for about 90 minutes this AM then did 30 minutes on my bike trainer. This afternoon I'll round it out with a 2 mile snow hike to get to work.

The 22 week program is definitely less intense in the beginning than the 12 week plan I did last year, but I was much farther along in my training when I started last year, so this feels about right. I agree with Todd it's a great way to get in a routine and figure out a way to fit the training into a busy life. It's forcing me to be more regular about my swim training, which I really need!

Happy training everyone!

Catherine
2015-02-15 8:19 PM
in reply to: allan_c

User image

Originally posted by allan_c

Hi Folks,
I am also doing the 22 week sprint training program and am now in wk 2. I am, however, substituting snow shoveling for strength training work-outs Today is blizzard # 4 in 4 weeks! I shoveled for about 90 minutes this AM then did 30 minutes on my bike trainer. This afternoon I'll round it out with a 2 mile snow hike to get to work.

The 22 week program is definitely less intense in the beginning than the 12 week plan I did last year, but I was much farther along in my training when I started last year, so this feels about right. I agree with Todd it's a great way to get in a routine and figure out a way to fit the training into a busy life. It's forcing me to be more regular about my swim training, which I really need!

Happy training everyone!

Catherine

Great workout! I love how you've adapted. I am also on the 22 weeks. I am finishing up week 3 today. I agree it feels easy but by may I will be cycling 20 miles so it is perfect for this turtle slow and steady.
2015-02-15 8:23 PM

User image

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Hello Everyone,

Nicole, I don't have a set rule or go by any set rules. If I think I can get in a workout while sick without making things worse I will do so. If I think working out while just drain me further and leave me sicker then I don't do it. I think of it like this, If I am so sick that my workout will not be effective due to my compensation for the illness then it's probably not worth it and I don't do it. Some times the body needs to shut down so to speak in order to heal up. I can tell you this though, a lot of times when I have bad sinus problems I do force myself to go swim because for some reason the chlorine and breathing just helps me get some of the crap out of my nose and throat.

Thanks Todd for your advice. It was exactly what I needed. I was feeling pretty crumy so I took some medicine and got moving. Later in the day my husband hooked up my Garmin and I got in a 31 minute bike ride on the trainer. I found out I got in 6 miles!! So my other training sessions were more than 2 miles. I am glad to know I am doing more not less than what I had thought. I am still taking it easy and trying to do too much. I now know I had a cadence between 66-78.
2015-02-15 8:24 PM

User image

Does anyone know how to link my fitness pal to the forum board? Can that even be done? I remember seeing something a while back. I tried to find it but couldn't.
Thanks

2015-02-16 8:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alright, so I started to put the list together today and at this point we have 15 for sure Turtles and 5-6 Maybe Turtles (I have asked them to pop in and post if they are still interested as they have not posted in some time) I will likely put out a complete list before Wednesday Evening.
2015-02-16 12:00 PM

User image

, Tennessee
Busy weekend for me - no time to post. You guys have all been knocking it out! I completed my planned 5K saturday. Not fast, but fast for me. 3.4 miles in 33:40. I had two miles under ten minutes each which is a huge accomplishment for me. Then swam 1000 yards after the 5k.

Everyone keep up the forward momentum. Have to head out to work early as all of you up north have decided to share the winter weather with us down here in Tennessee!!

Make it a great day and a great week!!!

Michelle
2015-02-16 12:02 PM
in reply to: Gabby'smom

User image

, Tennessee
One more thing - everyone be sure to check the clamps/fasteners on your bike trainer ever so often. One of mine loosened up and my bike fell off the trainer today -while I was using it of course. The worst part was the ipad fell off the trainer and shattered the face. Learn from my mistake!!

Michelle
2015-02-16 12:55 PM

User image

Originally posted by Gabby'smom

One more thing - everyone be sure to check the clamps/fasteners on your bike trainer ever so often. One of mine loosened up and my bike fell off the trainer today -while I was using it of course. The worst part was the ipad fell off the trainer and shattered the face. Learn from my mistake!!

Michelle

OOPS!!!!
Great Advice!!!
Congrats on the 5K!!!!!
2015-02-16 1:13 PM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

Hope everyone had a great Valentine's Weekend!!

Crazy weather in many parts of the country....snow and ice in the south; blizzard in northeast; just darn cold and windy here in the mid west(fortunately it's dry; no new snow). It impacts everyone's training in some degree. Hang in there!!

Yesterday was a rest day for me; we did attend our grand daughter's birthday party....bowling. I enjoyed watching the kids have so much fun...

Back to the pool this morning. Good swim. Still a bit of a struggle keeping the rest intervals to the times outlined in my practices. 2000 yards total (300 yards were with the kick board). I'm using fins with the kick board on some of the segments based on the advice of my friend the swim coach. He'd suggested this based on the amount of time being on the bike trainer....save the legs some.

Uh oh! I learned of another sprint tri just about an hour from our home. It's on 4/25. Looks to be a pretty low key event. 300 yd pool swim; 20K bike ride; 5K run/walk. This event also encourages para athletes to compete. Since it's so close by and the fact the event starts at 1:00 in the afternoon; I'm seriously considering it. I've already registered for the Miami (Ohio) University Tri/Duathlon on 5/9 in Oxford Oh. That way I'd have one under my belt before doing the one in May. That way no "newbie" errors at the larger event.

Any advice??

2015-02-16 1:52 PM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by 2NewKnees

Hope everyone had a great Valentine's Weekend!!

Crazy weather in many parts of the country....snow and ice in the south; blizzard in northeast; just darn cold and windy here in the mid west(fortunately it's dry; no new snow). It impacts everyone's training in some degree. Hang in there!!

Yesterday was a rest day for me; we did attend our grand daughter's birthday party....bowling. I enjoyed watching the kids have so much fun...

Back to the pool this morning. Good swim. Still a bit of a struggle keeping the rest intervals to the times outlined in my practices. 2000 yards total (300 yards were with the kick board). I'm using fins with the kick board on some of the segments based on the advice of my friend the swim coach. He'd suggested this based on the amount of time being on the bike trainer....save the legs some.

Uh oh! I learned of another sprint tri just about an hour from our home. It's on 4/25. Looks to be a pretty low key event. 300 yd pool swim; 20K bike ride; 5K run/walk. This event also encourages para athletes to compete. Since it's so close by and the fact the event starts at 1:00 in the afternoon; I'm seriously considering it. I've already registered for the Miami (Ohio) University Tri/Duathlon on 5/9 in Oxford Oh. That way I'd have one under my belt before doing the one in May. That way no "newbie" errors at the larger event.

Any advice??

Bill, I don't see a problem with it. You know you can easily swim the distance, you know you are going to be walking the run portion, so the only other thing is knowing that you can safely complete the bike, which I'm sure you can. For these reasons I would say to go at it, but view it as kind of a training day and learning experience where you really enjoy yourself and take it all in.

By the way and I know you know this already, but you will continue to make mistakes well after you no longer think you're a Newb. My moment was over two years into this sport. I showed up that day head held high, walking around like I knew what I was doing and what others were doing. I stopped and helped some "Newb's" (had a separate first timers transition area right next to ours, which I thought was a great idea). This race was also the first time that I truly felt that I had earned the right to toe the line at the start of the race. (Basically all my previous races I had done enough to finish around the middle of the pace but not one thing extra, which is why I always ended up walking portions of the run). So anyhow, I take off in the swim and feel great as I get out, take out on the bike and had a great ride where I pushed but made sure to leave some in the tank for my 6 mile run. I run into transition, shoes off, shoes on, and I'm gone in probably my fastest transition ever. I head to the run out and a volunteer starts yelling so I give a holler as I run by her believing she is pumping everyone up as they leave. All of the sudden a person runs up behind me and tells me to stop and I asked them why. They proceed to tell me that my helmet is still on my head and I honestly did not believe them until I reached up and felt it. I ran back into T2, put up the helmet, had a good laugh with the volunteers and then went on to finish out the race.
2015-02-16 1:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Michelle

So sorry to hear about the busted I-pad but at least you were getting in a ride
2015-02-16 3:24 PM

User image

Originally posted by allan_c

Hi Folks,

Happy training everyone!

Catherine

Great workout! I love how you've adapted. I am also on the 22 weeks. I am finishing up week 3 today. I agree it feels easy but by may I will be cycling 20 miles so it is perfect for this turtle slow and steady.

Nicole, slow and steady is what it's all about for me! I have a pretty intense job and two young kids, so right now it's all about keeping moving forward and making this a sustained effort rather than a sprint (no pun intended). Every day I push myself to get out there even when every ounce of me says no is a bonus. I know I always feel so much better when I do. Thanks for the pep talk I am glad wk 3 is going well for you. How's the swimming going?

Catherine
2015-02-16 3:26 PM

User image

Busy weekend for me - no time to post. You guys have all been knocking it out! I completed my planned 5K saturday. Not fast, but fast for me. 3.4 miles in 33:40. I had two miles under ten minutes each which is a huge accomplishment for me. Then swam 1000 yards after the 5k.

Everyone keep up the forward momentum. Have to head out to work early as all of you up north have decided to share the winter weather with us down here in Tennessee!!

Make it a great day and a great week!!!

Michelle

Great run time Michelle! It's all about relative speed, right? Fast for you is what you're looking for. Great that you swam after your 5K as well!

Catherine
2015-02-16 5:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

"I head to the run out and a volunteer starts yelling so I give a holler as I run by her believing she is pumping everyone up as they leave. All of the sudden a person runs up behind me and tells me to stop and I asked them why. They proceed to tell me that my helmet is still on my head and I honestly did not believe them until I reached up and felt it."

Todd.....had to laugh at your story! I guess you were just so focused on the run it slipped your mind!!!!

I had planned at some point to ask you to post some "mistakes not to make by newbies"......I'm sure you've seen plenty; a heads up to those of us who will be doing this the first time may help us to avoid them!!

For that matter, there are several folks here that have completed some Tris....it'd be good to hear from them as well.

Also....appreciate the advice and insight!!

Edited by 2NewKnees 2015-02-16 5:34 PM

2015-02-16 5:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Lizfuze:

Yall enjoy it will you got it because most plans will take you from where you are now to you asking how you're going to get everything done and / or feeling it's almost to difficult. The program yall are doing does start very slow but that is because it takes a beginner into consideration, but more so is that way to help you develop a routine of working out WHILE balancing life. If you notice more than just you has said that it was easy but finding time is the hard part, this is what it's preparing you for right now. The required time is only going to increase, so it is better to find a way now then have it thrown on you all at once.

Todd,
Thanks for the input. That's something Ive been wondering about. With most programs (not just physical training) there frequently comes a point where the going gets a quite steep for most people. When Ive been saying that this is not crazy difficult NOW, I have been wondering (fearing) if / when the other shoe might drop and things will get very hard. Ive never been an athlete so Ive been surprised that I can do this (so far). With the 22 week program is there a point where most people start having trouble completing the workouts? Is it just a gradual ramp up, or do many find a certain distance or time difficult? Just wondering what's in store for me.

Edited by Team-S 2015-02-16 5:58 PM
2015-02-16 7:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Lizfuze:

Todd,
Thanks for the input. That's something Ive been wondering about. With most programs (not just physical training) there frequently comes a point where the going gets a quite steep for most people. When Ive been saying that this is not crazy difficult NOW, I have been wondering (fearing) if / when the other shoe might drop and things will get very hard. Ive never been an athlete so Ive been surprised that I can do this (so far). With the 22 week program is there a point where most people start having trouble completing the workouts? Is it just a gradual ramp up, or do many find a certain distance or time difficult? Just wondering what's in store for me.

No, you'll be fine just roll with the plan and all should be fine. Time management almost becomes the bigger issue to deal with.
2015-02-16 7:32 PM

Good question I'm wondering the same thing

I just finished a 20 minute swim a mix of freestyle, breast, and side stroke. I tried the alternating breathing on both sides. Was doing ok with that but started getting water in my ear. I need to invest in goggles, ear plugs and a decent suit (with underwire if any women can suggest any )

I showered, changed and hit the treadmill for 35 minutes. The best part was I was able to run about 1 1/2 miles of that. I'm not fast but I add a little speed every 5 minutes or so.

Makes for a really long day after a long day at work. Looking forward to spring and longer daylight hours

I'm starting to research bikes online. Any advice from people would be great. I think I am looking for a road bike with a really good seat. I want this bike to last me into my grandma days and bike riding with grandkids. So nothing to crazy fancy. If this is even possible

I hope everyone has a great week training!
2015-02-16 7:47 PM
in reply to: Lizfuze

User image

Originally posted by Lizfuze

Good question I'm wondering the same thing

I just finished a 20 minute swim a mix of freestyle, breast, and side stroke. I tried the alternating breathing on both sides. Was doing ok with that but started getting water in my ear. I need to invest in goggles, ear plugs and a decent suit (with underwire if any women can suggest any )

I showered, changed and hit the treadmill for 35 minutes. The best part was I was able to run about 1 1/2 miles of that. I'm not fast but I add a little speed every 5 minutes or so.

Makes for a really long day after a long day at work. Looking forward to spring and longer daylight hours

I'm starting to research bikes online. Any advice from people would be great. I think I am looking for a road bike with a really good seat. I want this bike to last me into my grandma days and bike riding with grandkids. So nothing to crazy fancy. If this is even possible

I hope everyone has a great week training!

Great training day Liz!! I was having the same issues with the ears. I got a swim cap and pull it down over my ears and it works great. I have to pull it up to hear my coach well but other than that it works like a charm. You are rocking it on the run. I am not able to run mine yet. I do 5 minutes of walk to 2 minutes of run. Keep up the great work!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Successful Triathlon Training, by Fred D - OPEN

Started by Fred D
Views: 1133 Posts: 2

2015-01-21 6:28 AM juanjaramillo

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.