Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2007-03-24 11:55 PM
in reply to: #629883

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: RE: MarkQuiet's group - FULL

I don't know a thing about the indoor bike computer thingy.

As for your second paragraph, patience is the key word.  Improvement is incremental (like weight loss) and every now and again, BOOM, you're that much faster, stronger, lighter.

Keep at it, don't get discouraged when the improvement isn't exeptional each week.  One day (soon) it'll all fall into place.

2007-03-25 7:14 AM
in reply to: #735651

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
I don't know much about the computrainer either. I have the basic KK and just get on it and go. I vary the lenght of the session, the gears, and the tempo. Conventional wisdom is that trainer riding is harder than outdoor, no coasting, constant speed, etc.
As for the second question, plateaus are common. Fortunately, breakthroughs are common as well. Perhaps a day off or a lighter week is in order. The body adapts, which means we have to vary what we do to get improvement. I read once that most of us train too hard on light days and not hard enough on hard days. I find I do better throwing in a extra day of rest every 2 weeks or so. I just get tired and my body can't recouperate fast enough. Take a cycle off, try walking instead of running one workout. Or, try the eliptical instead of something else to vary things up.
I also find weightloss can be tiring. I feel stronger a little heavier. Maybe it's what i'm eating or just more muscle mass, I don't know. Be patient.
2007-03-25 9:53 PM
in reply to: #735651

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

Hi Tami,

I noticed on my Kurt Kinetic that it does take a little more oomph to work out on than it does outdoors, but, yours is quite a big difference.  If it were just a computer thing I would say you calibrated it wrong (you know the part where you have to measure the circumference of your tire by marking a spot, making 2 revolutions and then marking it again and dividing by 2?).  Yours sounds more like a mechanical problem like the tension is too high.  Once you get your rear tire locked in, don't adjust the tension more than about 2&1/2 turns (just enough to make it not "squeak" when you pull it 1/2" with a quick pull).  If its not the tension, I'm not sure what it would be.  The good news is, it sure makes your outside rides seem a lot easier. )

I'm clueless about plateau's.  Hope your md appt for the ankle turns out to be a good one!

Tara

2007-03-26 12:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth

Hey all, I'm sure glad to see that everyone is continuing with this while I fight through my absence. It has taken quite a lot of will power to not get too depressed with this "no work" thing. I have tried to focus on my training, but perhaps too much. Not only that, but the weather here has been crappy since the beginning of March. I think the sun poked out maybe once or twice the whole time - and only for a few hours.

Computer thingy - I would agree with the tension setting comment. Other then that I have no clue. All my riding has been outside.

Plateaus? Well there is a big topic. But I think Frank said it best. The body does adjust to commo stimuli. Meaning that if you do the same thing every week the body adjusts and you see no improvement. Most schedules will vary the intensity or the volume from week to week. You will need to follow those closely. Your body needs the variety to stimulate change and with the change you will see the improvement.

Also keep in mind that as the weather warms up and the humidty increases you will see a drop in performance. This should be expected and don't beat yourself up too much over it. My run times have dropped nearly 45 seconds from where they were over the winter. Not only that my average heart rate has increased almost 15bpm. It is all due to the weather.  Heat and humidty zaps energy quickly. Perpare for it.

Water and gels will help out for much of it. I have read the posts related the gels and eating while working out or racing. Personally, I use gels. I can't eat bars while running and barely can while riding. Make sure you consume water with both. I find that the bars will require more water then the gels (the reason I don't like eatting the bars when running). A good rule of thumb for the gels is to consume one every 45 minutes of exercise.

2007-03-27 4:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

Hi,

Fgray brought up a question I have about weight loss.  I'm currently at around 145 which isn't bad as far as my overall size or the clothes size I wear but I feel like if I were "leaner" I could possibly be "faster."  Is that true?  I'm realizing I want to lose more weight because I think it will increase my speed and maybe overall fitness.  The problem is - and this is vain - that any more "fat" or "cushion" I lose is going to be in areas that, well, make me feel feminine (my "curves" if ya know what I mean).  Anyway, it sounds like lots of folks who do these races as a lifestyle get down to a "race weight" and then in the off season they go back to an "off season" weight.  I'd like to try the "lean mean racing machine" thing but not if its not worth it.  Any thoughts on this?

Tara

2007-03-27 7:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
I view all this training as a means to and end: it keeps me in shape, which keeps my weight down, which causes less stress on my bad knee. I find that to loose weight, one of two things needs to happen, eat less or burn more calories. Eating less is not really an option, I get irritable and have low energy. Burning more calories is easier, train more. Train more consistently. Spring is here, and I generally eat a little less and burn more calories in the spring/summer.
My wife is an avid runner. She looses weight because of training, not for it.
I've found the weight comes off initially as training increases, then evens out at what is hopefully a healthy level.

2007-03-28 10:43 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

In addition to the many benefits of multisport, I, too have been losing weight.  I've been involved with the Tri'ing for Weightloss threads and have had a good time tracking.  If you want to join our "summer solstice" challenge, take this link http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=69936&start=31&posts=45 for information, and this one http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=70478&posts=7#M740055 for today's weigh-in.

As for losing your curves, perhaps you'll merely enhance and redefine them?  That's what has happened to my lovely wife as she's participated in this stuff.

2007-03-30 7:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

Hey,

Thanks for the info on weight loss, and Kirk, I am experiencing here in Florida the yuckiness of having to adjust to heat and some humidity.  I am so glad you mentioned how much it slows you down or I would be hugely disappointed in my run attempts lately.   I guess the key is plenty of hydration right?  Sometimes when its really hot I feel  kinda light headed and out of it.  I think to train optimally I'm going to have to get up early before the sun comes up and "Get R Done!"  Oh - I hate mornings - maybe I can get some mileage in before I actually wake up....)

Have a nice weekend everyone.  We'll be at the Barrett Jackson Auto Auction in West Palm for all you car lovers out there!

Tara

2007-03-30 9:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
For those of us who struggle with the swim, I just read the most interesting post
'swimming - path of the stroke question'. Read and see what you all think. I've been trying to figure this out for months.
2007-04-02 10:03 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Just wanted to check in and wish y'all a good first week of April.  I got in some low impact cycling miles on Saturday with my kids, got up early on Sunday (the new puppies needed a potty trip) and ran 5, then a bit later dropped my canoe in a local river for an explatory trip.  Fortunately, I didn't have an unplanned OWS; but I didn't get my hoped for wetsuit training in, either.  I'll swim tonight at the Y, though.  I'm 3 weeks from my first tri of the season and it is definitely an "A" event - an Oly.

Hope y'all had a great weekend, too.

db

2007-04-03 8:48 AM
in reply to: #745362

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA

Frank, thanks for pointing us to the swimming thread.  There is a ton of good info in there and the videos make a big difference.  Thanks.  I'll probably read the entire thread again tonight before swimming tomorrow morning.

Doug, thanks for the well wishes..training wise I was due for a good week, it seems to be panning out....hmmm, only Tuesday, better not speak too soon.  Good luck preparing these last few weeks. 

How's everyone else doing?

2007-04-04 7:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Bueller?

Bueller?
2007-04-05 8:06 AM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA

agreed!  this board has been a bit quiet lately.  I'll be pretty tied up through easter weekend but I'm hoping that things pick up next week.

2007-04-05 12:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

Hey anybody home???

Hope you're all doing well and keeping up your training.  Its getting harder with the heat but I think we're in for a little cool spool here in Florida before the serious heat and humidity starts.

"Happy Easter" every one!

Tara

2007-04-06 5:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

I have a swimming question.  I've been reading the Total Immersion book, got the DVD and have been doing the drills.  I haven't had a lot of pool time lately due to the pool being closed.  My question is this - doing the drills has really cut down I'm sure on my aerobic base because you don't put in the laps you do with normal training.  I'm less than 2 months away from my first tri.  I'm afraid that if I keep doing the drills and don't progress through them fast enough (which is recommended in the TI program) that I will lose my endurance.  Should I just scrap the TI stuff until after my first tri and then resume it afterward to improve my stroke efficiency?  I'm starting to get nervous....

Thanks,

Tara

2007-04-07 1:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Read the "path of the stroke" post. I literally doubled my distances in the past 2 weeks. I did the drills for a few weeks then started swimming/drilling. Over time, a few weeks, I did less TI drills and more other kinds of drills.
I still do the drill where you have 1 arm extended and 1 arm on your side. Great with fins to get balance and leg strength. Not necessarily swimming strenght, but overall leg fitness.
I have found swimming is 30% fitness, 30% form (meaning practice), and 40% mental. Once the fitness and form meet, the mental will come and one day you will keep swimming longer than you thought you could. Once you reach that breakthrough, you will desire to push yourself each time until you say you feel like you could swim forever.
Today I found myself so efficient, I could often go for 4 strokes instead of 2 without breathing for laps at a time, and it felt great. 2 weeks ago, I was always out of breath.
Try the info in the path of the stroke post. It made a HUGE difference for me, and cleared up a few things the TI book and DVD are not clear on.

Edited by fgray 2007-04-07 1:04 PM

2007-04-07 6:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

Oh that sounds great!  Is it a "thread" or an "article," and if so, how do I get to it?  Sorry, I'm so techno-dorky.

Thanks!  I can't wait to try it.

Tara

2007-04-08 8:04 AM
in reply to: #752564

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
I'm not so great with computers, so try to cut and paste this.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2007-04-08 6:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
I did my first brick today and I am pretty sore. Maybe more from the weights yesterday, but I feel tired and weak in the legs. Felt it during the run, no spring in my legs.
I started to cramp on my right side of my stomach after 2 miles. I assume it is from dehrdration, not from anything I ate, because I had not eaten in hours. I also cramped on my run last Sunday. Does anyone else cramp because of dehydration, or is it from something else I am missing?
2007-04-08 10:04 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Congrats on the brick.  They're fun, aren't they?  I bailed on mine this weekend due to weather (snow/wind) and only ran - far.  I also failed to get in the water.  segue ...

I'm now t-minus two weeks till my first OLY.  I've been doing TI drills and swims for many weeks now, but only in 25 m pools.  I have no idea how far (not worried about speed) I can go without stopping.  Surely it's longer than 25, but I guess it'll have to be 1500.  I'm not shy about making friends with the folks in the kayaks along the route, though.  But, to chime in on Tara's question - I say to stick with the game plan, but maybe accellerate it a bit.  Also, is anyone else swimming with fistgloves?  (aside: I bought the Ls and they're too small.  If anyone is purchasing, and can wear L, buy an XL and I'll trade).  Here's my take on them: They make you swim so much more efficiently when you take them off, but frustratingly slow with them on.  I try to use them for 2/3 - 3/4 of my swim workouts, times be damned.  I also labor more, breathing-wise, with them on.  I'm committed to TI so I can only hope that this is going to work - that and the buoyancy of the wetsuit. 

Specifically, though, remember - you're deriving your power and momentum from the switches, not necessarily the arms (fistgloves, again make this noticeable).  Don't panic (I'm trying to practice what I preach here - go with me) and you'll be fine.  Remeber Stuart Smalley from SNL a few years back?  You know, the "I'm good enough, smart enough, and gosh-darn it, people like me." guy?  Well, I tell myself every day that I'm training enough (lie), learning TI well enough, and gosh darn it, I'm gonna make it.

I'm always happy to hear about all y'all's breakthroughs.  Gives me confidence I can make it through.  Keep on writing.

Edited by dblack1801 2007-04-08 10:04 PM
2007-04-08 10:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth

Lots of questions on the swim portion. It sounds like most of you are doing what you need to. TI and other research should prove to be a benefit. Recently my times have improved, but that is because I have been doing intervals and following the swim plan posted here under the HIM plan. I still feel like the I am the subject matter of my avatar.

Happy workouts all, and I will try to be more active posting this week.

2007-04-09 6:47 PM

Regular
I'm not going to make my first tri in Irving on April 21st. I just can't get away that weekend. I contacted the Tri POC, and they are allowing me to re-schedule for next year with no additional fees, since I already paid. I'm looking for a make-up Sprint Tri here in Virginia in the mid-May timeframe. I've got a couple of options, one in Norfolk and one in Yorktown. The swims are pretty long for me (750-1000m), but I think I can get there by then.

Another long day at work. Almost didn't work out, but I pushed myself and actually had a fair workout. I'd like to break the day up by working out during lunch hour, but it seems I can't get away from the office lately. So, at the end of the day, when I'm drained, I'm having to push myself to go work out. I'm almost always glad I do it, but it's much better when I can get a good nights rest and then go have a great workout. Anyone else having the "finding the time to workout" issue?
2007-04-09 6:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Finding time is a premium. More like stealing time before 7 am. If I don't go first thing in the morning, I don't have the willpower to go later. I admire you for doing it late in the day when tired. I just can't.
2007-04-11 7:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania
How is everyone doing? It's been a little quiet lately (the irony of this coming from someone who rarely posts is not lost, believe me)...I hope everyone is safe and healthy.

I know I'm going to sound like an idiot here, but I've sounded like one before and I'm sure I will again - what the heck are TI drills? I swam like a fish when I was a kid, but now I'm just an injured flounder out there - I can't even get my breathing right, let alone any distances put together, and this is definitely my biggest concern - I mean, my sprint tri is three months away and I'm actually bona fide worried. What can I do to help with this? I'm trying to get in the pool 3 times a week. Also, what's the general consensus on flippers and gloves? Worth the money?
2007-04-12 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

TI is shorthand for Total Immersion, a swimming program/technique quite popular with BTers, judging from the number of posts on various threads.

The author eschews use of flippers or other pool toys, prefering to teach what he considers proper balance and a unique technique involving rotating your core body to generate momentum and using your arms as additional support/propulsion, instead of having them be the primary source (very little kicking, too).

I've been following the lessons for several months now, and get to try them in real life next Sunday at my first OLY.  So far, I've only swum in 25 m pools.  I'm anxious (in all senses of the word) to get out in OW to see what I can do unfettered by the pool walls.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MarkQuiet's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 26