BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ken Axford's Group - closed and killin it!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2008-03-01 6:32 PM
in reply to: #1117000

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Subject: RE: Ken Axford's Group - closed and killin it!!!
Terry - GOOD FOR YOU ! Sounds like a lot of fun and a great afternoon. I am no trainer but bet your adrenaline accounts for a lot of that heart rate. I cannot TELL YOU how jealous I am of that weather report description. And I apologize that it's a constant theme of my posts and inspires! I think we call it SPRING FEVER!!

2008-03-02 7:37 AM
in reply to: #1246209

User image

Regular
Taos, New Mexico

Terry,that's awesome!  I'm so impressed.  I agree with Amy about the HR, too.  I've definitely got to get more running time in - that darn HR monitor sure doesn't let me fake it!

Mo, I hope your mouth isn't hurting anymore!  How was the wedding?

Ken, I don't know about anyone else, but I heard that commitment to 5 hrs.  Gonna hold you to it .  Okay, here's mine: better than 33%ile in the 5430 Long Course (break out of the "back of the pack"!). 

2008-03-02 7:41 AM

User image

Regular
Taos, New Mexico

So, I'm in Moab for a few days.  Bad news is I forgot my HRM.  Good news is, the SKINNY TIRE FESTIVAL http://skinnytireevents.com/content/view/148/113/   is going on here right now.  Great timing!  I'm hoping to join them today for the 44 mile ride to Dead Horse Point. 

The catch is, it's a fundraiser for Lance Armstrong Foundation (that's not the catch) and I need to raise $70 in donations to match my $70 registration by 9:00AM!!!  I think I can do it - there are about 25 people in my class who made room in the minivans for my bike yesterday!  Bless their hearts.

Going to go now to see if they'll let me register.  Have a great day everyone!!

2008-03-02 9:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

good to hear from you guys.  sandi, I'm jealous about the skinny tire festival.  I heard that was a ton of fun. 

Amy, I'll back your crazy weather story.  We get more good days than you, but as an example of crazy weather...    It was 69 degrees and sunny yesterday.  riding my motorcycle and everything.  today i woke up to snow falling.  Silly !!!

amy I wanted to let you know about some swimming spots in florida.  This your best chance for open water swimming.

Check out www.luckyslakeswim.com.   It's the real deal.  this guy has a lake in his back yard and let's people come over any day of the week to swim.  It's 1/2 k across, so you should be able to make a couple lengths.  you can stop on the other side and rest if you want.  It's a lot of fun.  checkout the pic below.

another website is http://www.swimmersguide.com/.  this is really for anyone who is traveling to a strange city to find local pools and swimming facilities.

Edited by kenaxford 2008-03-02 2:48 PM

(luckys lake.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
luckys lake.jpg (40KB - 16 downloads)
2008-03-03 7:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Ken- that was very nice of you! and that Lake swim thing- that is SOOOOO COOL. I do not really like the part about the alligators-- we definately don't have those in our cold fresh water lakes.  I think I am going to swim in Clermont- I want to sign up for the Super Sprint tri on  4/5.  Terry said you have trained there? tell me more...
2008-03-03 10:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Williamson, GA

Happy Monday!  Thanks for the encouragement on the race Saturday.  I'm motivated to get back to the basics... consistent workouts and healthy eating.

I'd like to be My goal is to be in the lower 140's by the end of March.  I had Fiber one and blueberries for breakfast today.  Good way to start!

What's on everyone's schedule today?  I'm going to hit the Eliptical trainer for 30 minutes and need to run for 30+ minutes also.  I'll see how my legs are feeling and may end up walking instead of running.

Ken, what impact do you think adrenaline has on your heart rate?  Assuming so, how long do you think that "rush" should last?

2008-03-03 5:02 PM
in reply to: #1248834

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

Terry,  I would say adreneline has a high impact.  i did a little research after we spoke, and would say that we can't really get more technical than that because that effect depends on the person, nerves, situation, etc.  There is no reliable data that would give you specific effects that could apply to the general population.  for a 5k, don't worry about it.  go hard and your done.  during a sprint tri, it will last a little longer so be cognisent, but don't stress if it's higher than usual.  Race day heart rates are always higher than training and you want them to be.  Race day is the day you want go your fastest and push your body.  Just don't push so hard that you can't finish.

Amy,  It is fun to train in clermont.  In preperation for the Ironamn last year, I went to Clermont once per week for hill training.  The sommersports site is being rebuilt, so they didn't have any of their race maps up yet.  The best thing I could find is this website:  http://www.mapmyride.com/find-ride/united-states/fl/clermont#RESULTS

I usually rode the "florida challange" route.  I also like the "fruit loop" but that's a little north of Clermont.  (nicer ride though)  If you are wanting to do any open water swimming, I would only do it at Lucky's.  the other lakes are fine during races.  If not racing though, there are a lot of boaters and no one else around to protect you in case of emergency.  it's worth the drive.  by the way, I was frequently in the lakes swimming and wakeboarding and I never saw a gator.  (in three years)

I hope the weather is good for you so you can enjoy your time.

2008-03-03 10:55 PM

User image

Regular
Taos, New Mexico

Hi all.  The Skinny Tire Festival ride yesterday was fun... and BRUTAL.  At least for me at this stage in the season.  I managed to pick the day (of four) with the toughest climb and the worst weather!  I'm not sure which was tougher, the climb on the way up or fighting the snow and wind on the way down. 

I felt pretty good - better than I expected - and held my own on the climb.  I think fuel was key.  I was pretty careful to keep putting in food and water!  Could still use improvement though.  I was pushing my limits pretty hard on the second half of the ride, but amazingly didn't crash after I got back to town and still didn't really have that "hangover" today.  The only thing I can attribute it to is the fuel thing.  I sucked on shot blocks on the climb and used a package of Perpetuem(?) mix and some of the PowerBar endurance drink mix they had at the aid station.  Plus, of course a healthy helping of little cookies and a killer burrito!

Haven't decided whether to try to run yet tonight or make it my day off.

2008-03-04 1:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO
Sandi I'm guessign Sunday was brutal !!!   We had a huge shift of 40 degrees in teh high temps from Saturday to Sunday.  I'm guessing you were effected by the same system.
2008-03-04 8:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Williamson, GA
Got some new running shoes today   There is a running store on my way home and they specialize in evaluating your stride and working with you to find a show that fits well.  I "found" the Mizuno product line.  I'm anxious to go for my first run with them tomorrow.
2008-03-04 8:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Busy week- and the eating has not been stellar. Not horrible, but not as good as it could be with t a bit more conviction.  Also have not been on the ab and pushup regemin like I should be. It's a rest week for me- my first since starting the 20 week program- I KNOW I need it, but I'm not loving it. Bet that will change as my training goes on......

Hoping that starting in the am, I can  will turn around some of the poorer eating choices (though I'm quite happy I "wasted" calories on homemade chocolate marshmallow cake- it is soooooo worth it-- but lots of other little snitches of things I had were really NOT. Onward and upward. It's going to be 1-2 inches of icing tomorrow, so I switched the gym day to another trainer ride and will do some abs and arms here. Sadly, I bet the pool will be closed tomorrow night due to weather. Hopefully not! I must say I'm really starting to like swimming.

I cannot WAIT to run outside. Do you suppose it will ever be spring again here? 

2008-03-05 6:30 AM
in reply to: #1252947

User image

Veteran
Williamson, GA
aquinn - 2008-03-04 9:40 PM

I cannot WAIT to run outside. Do you suppose it will ever be spring again here? 

Yes!!!!  Stay strong!  You'll be in sunny and warm Florida in less than a month   BTW, did you sign up yet?

2008-03-05 10:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

Terry, Doss used to get free shoes from Mizuno when he managed hibet sports.  He loved them.  I know feet and strides can be different, but a lot of people like them so I hope they work well for you.

Amy, don't stress about the cake too much.  While you don't want to binge every day on treats, it's ok to eat those higher calorie foods one in a while as long as you work them into your daily caloric intake. 

Example:  I have a weakness for trail mix.  It is like crack at our house.  I know that my average handful has 150 calories and about 9 grams of fat.  (I have actually counted every peanut, raisen, and M&M in each handful)  So, I can have one or two handfuls, but that means I drop something else or eat a lighter dinner.  I think we should all keep that in mind as we treat ourselves so we don't beat ourselves up.

Edited by kenaxford 2008-03-05 10:46 AM
2008-03-05 10:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

focus group survey for the group:

I hate the term personal trainer because I think it is overused in the fitness industry and gives too much credit to a lot of chump trainers in the market who don' know very much.  As I begin to brainstorm about how best to market myself for coaching/training, I am thinking the term triathlon coach / fitness trainer has a more credible sound to it.  I am asking because it would effect different marketing materials such as business cards, website, brochures, etc.

fitness trainer:  does that give  (more) / (less) / or (no different) perception or understanding as opposed to personal trainer?

honost opinions will be helpfull here, thanks in advance.

2008-03-05 7:18 PM

User image

Regular
Taos, New Mexico
Hi all.  Had a terrible connection while in Moab.  Back in Logan & will try to catch up!
2008-03-05 7:39 PM
in reply to: #1253870

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Ken- My first thought is that fitness trainer might be a little less intimidating to people who are truly starting from square one??? Does that make sense?

2008-03-05 10:10 PM

User image

Regular
Taos, New Mexico

Ken, good question.  To me the term fitness connotes exercising to lose weight and improve health problems or physical image, as opposed to competition or sports for the love of the sport.  Given that, I'd agree with Amy that it would be less intimidating to beginners, while "triathlon coach" would be more credible for someone who wants to be competetive or "train" as opposed to "get fit".  So, maybe if you want to cover both markets, both titles are appropriate (or one as subset of other...).

Anyone else worried about Mo?? MO!  I hope you're just on some good pain drugs and ignoring us crazies for a few days...

And John?  Hope you're just truly taking a week off from everything triathlon...  We need you back next week!!

Edited by skijour 2008-03-05 10:13 PM
2008-03-05 11:19 PM

User image

Malaysia
Hey people... hope everyone's good. Gonna write more later... gotta run... sorry
2008-03-06 5:47 AM

User image

Malaysia
Hmmmph, i'm so tired. There's so many things happening now. I'm just glad i manage to do the ride yesterday although had to start a bit late, came home way after midnight.

Havent really got the chance to read through the post... but saw some of the earlier ones. That picture of the lake though, cant believe that's someone backyard. That's huge, wish i've got something half that size in my garden.

Well, i would really like to stay here and read all the post but unfortunately really have to run. I'll come back for more when i can, hopefully sometime this weekend.

take care everyone!
2008-03-06 10:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO
mo, glad your still around, look forward to hearing whats been up with you.
2008-03-07 9:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Williamson, GA

Hey guys!  TGIF!

Ken, I agree with Sandi and Amy.  I think both titles are appropriate for the two different markets.  The services you provide should be explained and your credentials will further qualify you to do either.

2008-03-07 4:39 PM

User image

Long Beach
Hello Team....

Wow, that took some time to catch up on everyone. Sounds like the insanity continues. I took the entire week off and did simple "things."

Most of what I did would be illegal in the US but rather "chic" in most former eastern block countries, & of course Amsterdam. (LOL) Anyway... began the training again on Tuesday with my swim, Tuesday was to be a 46min run, but only last half way before the muscle cramps began again. Perhaps I am not stretching enough? We'll see as tomorrow is my long run. I was to be on the bike for 2.5 hours lat night, but had an interview / meeting at a local pasta place.

I started my new position on Monday, so far... not impressed. They need a lot of help. However, I received a call on Monday afternoon from a friend and she through my name to her boss and his business partners for their position of CEO. That was last nights meeting. An interesting proposition nonetheless. We'll see how it progresses. I will be doing the bike tonight to make sure I get my sessions back in.

I am glad to hear that everyone is doing well. Ken, as for your "title" I would use them independently from each other depending on the target audience you are seeking at the time. Both titles work well, however, Fitness Trainer wouldn't get much Tri Training business and Triathlon Coash would possible scare off beginners. Use both, but marget them seperately.

Take care all,
2008-03-09 7:29 AM

User image

Regular
Taos, New Mexico

Mornin' kids.  Everyone remember daylight savings?  My phone still hasn't figured it out for some reason, although my computer has. 

Did everyone have a good Saturday?  Glad to see you back, John, and a relief to hear from Mo the other day .  Terry's got a race in already and Amy still kickin' butt.  Man, I've got to get on the ball! 

I've been a slug the last few days.  I'm letting that little thing with my leg discourage me - need to do something about it or ignore it - one or the other.  Also goofy facilities schedules and still frustrated w my swimming.  Spring break here now, so nothing's open.  On the other hand, the weather is decent, so there's no excuse for not biking and running outside.

How's everyone doing with their running cadence?  I seem to be settling in around 86-88.  Wondring if I shouldn't slow it down a little at lower speeds though - I think it actually might be contributing to the problem w my leg, just never really stretching out those muscles during the run.

Speaking of run, gotta go if I'm going to get one in this AM.  I rented an AT ski package on campus and am going up the hill to try it out.  I've been turning up my nose to AT in favor of telemark for years, but have never tried it, so now's my chance.

Have a great day!

2008-03-09 9:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

Sandi, whats up with your leg??

A cadence of 88 is about perfect on the run.   Unless you are significantly under-striding to get there, that should not be causing any problems.

AT ???   (another brand I assume??)

Edited by kenaxford 2008-03-09 11:38 AM
2008-03-09 7:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Sunday

Monday

Tuesday

wed

Thursday

Friday

saturday

bike 97

off

run 38

run 29

bike 68

(swim 35)

bike 78

run 60

strength

stretch or yoga

strength

swim 48

strength or stretch/yoga

strength

Okay- here's my commitment for this week.  The commitment of strength 4 TIMES will be a doozy-  I just changed one of them to be a stretch or yoga if need be.  Just knocked off the 97 minute trainer ride before dinner (and what a fine dinner it was- grilled steak and grilled veggies) and I must have ridden the last hour of it quite hard, cause my legs are BEAT.  But since we have a ton of fresh snow that appears to be here to stay, I'm glad I got the long ride out of the way for the week. Because seriously? That long trainer ride hangs over my head like the darkest cloud till it's over.  And they go much smoother during afternoon or evening hours- there is NOTHING on the tv when I hop on the bike at 5:00 am. Most channels are on infommercial.

I think starting next week, I will aim to work a 30 minute massage into my day off; found a place on Wednesday-- across the street from my office no less- that does them for $35.   I think it will be too late to work that into tomorrow's plan. 

We are on the final countdown to Florida- 2 weeks of rest and relaxation- with nothing planned but working out and resting and reading the 10 books I have stacked beside my bed - I CAN'T WAIT. DH and I just committed to 3 weeks of eating healthy and exercising in preparation for bathing suits- we are going to try to do a workout- either strength or stretch a few nights this week.  I think I have been [what I'd like to call] a positive influence on my kids lately- tonight after dinner, they both turned on (on separate tvs) Fit TV on Demand and did yoga and stretch/strength workouts ( in so far as they could do them ) I think I have mentioned it before, but if you have Time Warner, some of these stretch and flexibility on demand workouts are GREAT (and all are free). I am going to do a yoga stretch one in the morning-  and my younger son had on a ballet strength and stretch 18 minute workout that was  TERRIFIC (very cute to watch a 6 year old do a modified version of it   And there are TONS of them. I'm excited about the prospect of adding these to my week just to mix things up.

It might be impossible to get 2 swim workouts in this week- we have some very crazy pool hours this week-- but it was dark until about 7 tonight, so maybe I can get in a run or cross-country ski after dinner? Longer daylight hours may add variety after dinner, but it's going to be dark again the whole time I'm at the gym before work.......   

I thought I'd signed up for the SuperSprint Tri in Clermont, FL on April 5 this am, but when I got no confirmation email, I am now wondering....and will have to call tomorrow.

I think I've said QUITE enough.  SO, Happy Second Full Week of March, everyone. Let's rip it up.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ken Axford's Group - closed and killin it!!! Rss Feed  

of 19