BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2010-03-09 7:54 AM
in reply to: #2715679

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
Subject: RE: Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL
sesh - 2010-03-09 5:52 AM

karen26.2 - 2010-03-08 9:17 PM Nice pictures - I love the butt shot!

We're slowly fading away - how do we get this group going again???

Anybody racing anytime soon?

I signed up for a sprint on May 1st.  It's in Tupelo, MS and they say it'll be wetsuit legal, which will be my first race under 70.3 distance where I'll have to worry about that.  I actually don't like swimming with a wetsuit that much.  The buoyancy messes with me big time.

I love the pics too.  I grew up in a 400 people town out in the country so the pics remind me of fishing when I was younger.  

My bonus was half what it was last year, so I'll be able to get the bike, but will be short the shoes and pedals.  Looks like another 3 weeks until I can pick her up.  I'm tentatively planning on racing the Buster Britton in June at Oak Mountain here in B'ham.  Its a sprint.  I'm also going to do the Rumpshaker 5k on the 27th of this month.  I haven't officially been released to run, but I ran 2.5 miles after spin on Sunday and felt pretty good.

2010-03-09 4:22 PM
in reply to: #2571242

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Sesh - you probably don't need a wetsuit, you're fast!!  I don't like wetsuits either.  I don't think it makes me any faster, and the time I lose in transition trying to get out of the darn thing would cancel out any time benefit.

I have a half marathon in a couple weeks.  That's about it for a while.  I'm thinking of doing a 5k swim in the summer.  Could be interesting.
2010-03-09 4:33 PM
in reply to: #2717239

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
karen26.2 - 2010-03-09 4:22 PM Sesh - you probably don't need a wetsuit, you're fast!!  I don't like wetsuits either.  I don't think it makes me any faster, and the time I lose in transition trying to get out of the darn thing would cancel out any time benefit.

I have a half marathon in a couple weeks.  That's about it for a while.  I'm thinking of doing a 5k swim in the summer.  Could be interesting.

A 5K Swim?!?!? wow! Do you get to wear swimmies?
2010-03-09 6:32 PM
in reply to: #2717239

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

karen26.2 - 2010-03-09 4:22 PM Sesh - you probably don't need a wetsuit, you're fast!!  I don't like wetsuits either.  I don't think it makes me any faster, and the time I lose in transition trying to get out of the darn thing would cancel out any time benefit.

Sweet!  There's a growing minority in our tri club that wants to organize a swim across the Ross Barnett Reservoir (where I take all the pics).  It'll be a three miler, and I'm pushing hard for it.

2010-03-09 6:45 PM
in reply to: #2717422

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
sesh - 2010-03-09 6:32 PM

Sweet!  There's a growing minority in our tri club that wants to organize a swim across the Ross Barnett Reservoir (where I take all the pics).  It'll be a three miler, and I'm pushing hard for it.

You guys are way outta my league....
2010-03-09 7:43 PM
in reply to: #2717439

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
GorgeousGeorge - 2010-03-09 7:45 PM

You will get there.  I'm not ready to swim that far right now, but I should be by the time the event rolls around.  Plus, there are kayaks out in the lake, in case you need a break. =)

2010-03-11 9:01 AM
in reply to: #2717527

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
karen26.2 - 2010-03-09 7:43 PM
GorgeousGeorge - 2010-03-09 7:45 PM

You will get there.  I'm not ready to swim that far right now, but I should be by the time the event rolls around.  Plus, there are kayaks out in the lake, in case you need a break. =)

So woke up yesterday to go to swim class and heard the booming outside, and guessed the pool would be closed.  I was right.  I left work early to do my dynamic workout, then spin class, then promised a friend I would workout with her, so I stayed for that.  At the gym from 430 to 830 last night.  I was beat.  So I made myself a half PB/Honey sw while I waited for the pan to heat up, 3 eggs over easy, and a turkey and cheese sw cooked in the same pan with the eggs.    The sun is trying to creep out today, but we are supposed to have bad weather through the weekend.
2010-03-11 8:42 PM
in reply to: #2720371

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
GorgeousGeorge - 2010-03-11 10:01 AM
So woke up yesterday to go to swim class and heard the booming outside, and guessed the pool would be closed.  I was right.  I left work early to do my dynamic workout, then spin class, then promised a friend I would workout with her, so I stayed for that.  At the gym from 430 to 830 last night.  I was beat.  So I made myself a half PB/Honey sw while I waited for the pan to heat up, 3 eggs over easy, and a turkey and cheese sw cooked in the same pan with the eggs.    The sun is trying to creep out today, but we are supposed to have bad weather through the weekend.

Wow!  You ate PB&H sandwich, 3 eggs, and a turkey & cheese sandwich?  I suppose after working out for 4 hours, you must have been starving!

I squeezed in a run after work today, between the rain.  Last weekend here was beautiful.  Now it's crappy weather again.  But, I would still take rain over the awful heat and summer humidity here.
2010-03-12 2:27 PM
in reply to: #2721983

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
karen26.2 - 2010-03-11 8:42 PM
GorgeousGeorge - 2010-03-11 10:01 AM

Wow!  You ate PB&H sandwich, 3 eggs, and a turkey & cheese sandwich?  I suppose after working out for 4 hours, you must have been starving!

I squeezed in a run after work today, between the rain.  Last weekend here was beautiful.  Now it's crappy weather again.  But, I would still take rain over the awful heat and summer humidity here.
Hang in there Karen.  We had that crappy weather all day yesterday, then at about 330 the clouds parted and the weather was perfect - 72 degrees and sunny.  Same thing today.  Crappy weather, killing my swim workout, but now its sunny and 63 degrees!
2010-03-13 5:05 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Sweeeet!  I gotta basketball game to watch tomorrow.  Mississippi State gets it's second shot at big bad Kentucky in the SEC tourney championship.

On another sweet note.  I'm helping coach a beginner triathlon program that the Fleet Feet here is doing.  It's actually for the one I'm race director.  Anyway, the coaches get a free pair of shoes, a free pair of socks, and $20 added to a gift card to Fleet Feet for every session we coach. Picked up a pair of Asics Nimbus 11 and some Dry Max socks today.  So again I say... Sweeeeet!

2010-03-14 7:49 AM
in reply to: #2724843

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
sesh - 2010-03-13 6:05 PM

Sweeeet!  I gotta basketball game to watch tomorrow.  Mississippi State gets it's second shot at big bad Kentucky in the SEC tourney championship.

On another sweet note.  I'm helping coach a beginner triathlon program that the Fleet Feet here is doing.  It's actually for the one I'm race director.  Anyway, the coaches get a free pair of shoes, a free pair of socks, and $20 added to a gift card to Fleet Feet for every session we coach. Picked up a pair of Asics Nimbus 11 and some Dry Max socks today.  So again I say... Sweeeeet!

That sounds like a great gig - you get to help coach newbies on something you already enjoy doing, and get some very nice free stuff in exchange.  We have a couple of Fleet Feet stores near me (both owned by the same family) and they are great.  They do a lot with running programs but I have not see anything triathlon related yet.  That's so cool!

So, today instead of doing my scheduled run I'm going to go on a long bike ride.  My hip has been bothering me for a few weeks, Ive been ignoring it, but decided it's not worth getting side-lined this early on.  I'll be heading out soon and just hope the rain holds off.

I am also going to try to swim at least 3 days this week, maybe 4, instead of my usual 2 days.  I would really like to get faster and I think more time in the water is what I need.

Oh, and my husband and I bought rock climbing shoes yesterday.  I'm pretty excited to try out my own shoes and get more involved in rock climbing.

What does everyone else have planned?

2010-03-15 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2725190

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
karen26.2 - 2010-03-14 7:49 AM
sesh - 2010-03-13 6:05 PM

That sounds like a great gig - you get to help coach newbies on something you already enjoy doing, and get some very nice free stuff in exchange.  We have a couple of Fleet Feet stores near me (both owned by the same family) and they are great.  They do a lot with running programs but I have not see anything triathlon related yet.  That's so cool!

So, today instead of doing my scheduled run I'm going to go on a long bike ride.  My hip has been bothering me for a few weeks, Ive been ignoring it, but decided it's not worth getting side-lined this early on.  I'll be heading out soon and just hope the rain holds off.

I am also going to try to swim at least 3 days this week, maybe 4, instead of my usual 2 days.  I would really like to get faster and I think more time in the water is what I need.

Oh, and my husband and I bought rock climbing shoes yesterday.  I'm pretty excited to try out my own shoes and get more involved in rock climbing.

What does everyone else have planned?

That was a tough one Bill.  Then you got SHAFTED by the selection committee.  I think you and Va Tech have a serious beef with this one.  State will be the favorite in the NIT, but still, c'mon....

Mmmmm, rock climbing...Always wanted to do that, just never really had the opportunity.  Sounds like fun!

This weekend I trimmed some branches that were overhanging my sisters roof...in the cold...and rain.....  One of which weighed a couple hundred pounds and almost took me over the edge.  Fortunately, I thought it looked kinda heavy, so I locked myself behind the chimney just in case - still almost uprooted me.  Trained both days.  Ran 2 miles in 14:40 on Sunday after spin.  Wasn't trying to run fast, and was shocked at the time when I looked at it after i finished.  My stride is a great deal longer from all of the therapy and working with the Sports Performance guys.  I'm sure that was the reason my "easy" run wound up being so fast.  I wondered where all my speed gone over the past couple of years, I guess that answers it. 

1850 in the pool this morning to start my week.  I'm getting better I guess, slowly but surely.  At least I can do kicksets now without killing myself.
2010-03-15 11:48 AM

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
Fyi,
If you guys get a chance, watch the video on the home page about nutrition.  Nothing earth-shattering, but I picked up a few interesting nuggets in there.
2010-03-16 8:27 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
This morning at masters we did a kick set with fins, but instead of using a kick board we used our paddles.  Wow, what a difference not having the board makes.  It was obvious my core could use some work.

Tonight was the first group ride of the year for the club I belong to, and it was tough!  Tomorrow night is the first ride of the year with a bike shop I rode with last year.  They are having tons of food and beverage after the ride to celebrate St. Patrick's Day.  This is going to be a great week!
2010-03-17 9:26 AM
in reply to: #2730267

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river

karen26.2 - 2010-03-16 8:27 PM This morning at masters we did a kick set with fins, but instead of using a kick board we used our paddles.  Wow, what a difference not having the board makes.  It was obvious my core could use some work.

Tonight was the first group ride of the year for the club I belong to, and it was tough!  Tomorrow night is the first ride of the year with a bike shop I rode with last year.  They are having tons of food and beverage after the ride to celebrate St. Patrick's Day.  This is going to be a great week!

Ha, we started doing that too, expcept no paddles.  I was like, "Can one of you explain to me how I'm supposed to do this?!?!?!"  I did ok, but had trouble getting my head above water without stopping and doggy paddling to the top.  The ride sounds like fun!  Looks like Its going to be another month til I pay mine off and start riding

2010-03-18 9:16 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

I.  Got.  Back.  In.  The.  Pool!!!

Sort of anyway.  It was our first group session with our triathlon training program people.  I managed to sneak in a few laps, and it felt ok.  Gonna need to really get in there and do some workouts a few times to back into the old form though.

I basically spent the entire time with three people.  One guy had a perfect kick, but was plunging his arm straight down on the stroke, one girl had a perfect stroke but was kicking from the knees, and another guy looked like he was in a fight with the water (and the water was winning).  It was a lot of fun, and I don't think I screwed them up to bad.

2010-03-19 8:17 AM
in reply to: #2733191

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
sesh - 2010-03-18 9:16 AM

Sort of anyway.  It was our first group session with our triathlon training program people.  I managed to sneak in a few laps, and it felt ok.  Gonna need to really get in there and do some workouts a few times to back into the old form though.

I basically spent the entire time with three people.  One guy had a perfect kick, but was plunging his arm straight down on the stroke, one girl had a perfect stroke but was kicking from the knees, and another guy looked like he was in a fight with the water (and the water was winning).  It was a lot of fun, and I don't think I screwed them up to bad.

Were you in my class?   Actually, had a major breakthrough this morning.  I magically learned to kick.  Came out of nowhere.  BUT, I forgot how to breath.  I'm freakin awesome at walking and chewing gum at the same time, but I suck at kicking and breathing. Anyway, it was the first time I've ever had the feeling of my legs being near the top of the water.  So win for me this week.  Got a promotion, a bonus, a raise, started running again and I learned to kick!

Bill, How's the PF?  Haven't heard you mention it lately.

Edited by GorgeousGeorge 2010-03-19 8:30 AM
2010-03-19 8:32 AM
in reply to: #2735284

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
GorgeousGeorge - 2010-03-19 9:17 AM

Were you in my class?   Actually, had a major breakthrough this morning.  I magically learned to kick.  Came out of nowhere.  BUT, I forgot how to breath.  I'm freakin awesome at walking and chewing gum at the same time, but I suck at kicking and breathing. Anyway, it was the first time I've ever had the feeling of my legs being near the top of the water.  So win for me this week.  Got a promotion, a bonus, a raise, started running again and I learned to kick!

You hit the jackpot!  Good for you!

No promotion, bonus, raise or kicking for me.  And what's the secret to kicking?  Everyone else looks and moves like motor boats, but I'm in a holding pattern.  I'm waiting for it magically appear one day.

At yesterdays swim I swam with 2 other girls.  One was faster at kicking, the other one faster with paddles, and I was faster at free.  I thought it was odd that we each had a different strength.  I suppose for triathlons I'm better off with free being my strength, but I'd still like to know why I can't kick or do pull with paddles very well.
2010-03-19 8:35 AM
in reply to: #2735332

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
karen26.2 - 2010-03-19 8:32 AM
GorgeousGeorge - 2010-03-19 9:17 AM

You hit the jackpot!  Good for you!

No promotion, bonus, raise or kicking for me.  And what's the secret to kicking?  Everyone else looks and moves like motor boats, but I'm in a holding pattern.  I'm waiting for it magically appear one day.

At yesterdays swim I swam with 2 other girls.  One was faster at kicking, the other one faster with paddles, and I was faster at free.  I thought it was odd that we each had a different strength.  I suppose for triathlons I'm better off with free being my strength, but I'd still like to know why I can't kick or do pull with paddles very well.

Karen, I'll be honest, it happened overnight.  I didn't have that kick wednesday. It just sort of happened on my first trip down to the other end.  I actually stopped and thought Holy Crap, what was that? I think you're sitting pretty with free being your strength already though.
2010-03-19 8:39 AM
in reply to: #2733191

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
sesh - 2010-03-18 10:16 AM

I would love/hate for you to watch me swim, I'm sure you'd have a whole lot of "constructive" feedback.

There are a few super fast guys at masters.  The past few weeks they have been training for some swim meet coming up.  The coach has been making the workouts lots of fast 25's, 50's & 100's.  Which is what I like to do anyway, so it's worked out for me.  But watching these guys going @ 100% is amazing.  The look like they are on top of the water, backs completely out.  Some have an odd looking stroke - from the time their arm comes out of the water, it comes way up and over, not much bend to the elbow.  If you've ever seen Pip Taylor swim, she does it too.  It seems to work for them because they are fast!!!  I think last year a couple placed 1st & 2nd.  Anyway, they all look like they are on top of the water.  I'm the person fighting with the water...
2010-03-19 8:52 AM
in reply to: #2735284

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

GorgeousGeorge - 2010-03-19 8:17 AM

How in the hell did you get a promotion, raise, and bonus after that wonderful 2009?  I got no raise, no bonus... but oddly enough got promoted.  It's just awesome to get promoted during a salary freeze.  "Here, do more work for the same pay!" 

I'll be fully vested at year end.  I'm making some effing demands.  Well, if this economy is turned around I am.  I sort of need somewhere else to go if I want to have any leverage.  All I've got right now is the FDIC, and there's no way in hell I'm going to start traveling to god knows where every week.  People at the bank already hate Loan Review guys enough as it is.  Can't imagine what it'd be like being an examiner.

The PF was managed... until I stopped stretching it out after every run.  I'm an idiot.  It's not as bad as it was, but it's creeping back.

2010-03-19 8:58 AM
in reply to: #2735374

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
sesh - 2010-03-19 8:52 AM

GorgeousGeorge - 2010-03-19 8:17 AM

How in the hell did you get a promotion, raise, and bonus after that wonderful 2009?  I got no raise, no bonus... but oddly enough got promoted.  It's just awesome to get promoted during a salary freeze.  "Here, do more work for the same pay!" 

I'll be fully vested at year end.  I'm making some effing demands.  Well, if this economy is turned around I am.  I sort of need somewhere else to go if I want to have any leverage.  All I've got right now is the FDIC, and there's no way in hell I'm going to start traveling to god knows where every week.  People at the bank already hate Loan Review guys enough as it is.  Can't imagine what it'd be like being an examiner.

The PF was managed... until I stopped stretching it out after every run.  I'm an idiot.  It's not as bad as it was, but it's creeping back.

We are a smaller specialized group, but we deal with large chunks of money.  And actually, I should've gotten this a year ago.  I got shafted and they know it.  the bonus was half what it was last year, but a bonus nonetheless.  I don't quite have leverage yet, but another year or so I think I'll have some options.  I HATE loan Reviw guys, don't get me started.  Real smart there Bill, you sound a lot like me.
2010-03-30 4:26 PM
in reply to: #2735389

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
Are we officially bunked?
2010-03-30 7:11 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Ha, yesterday I thought about just posting RIP.  I think we lost all momentum without our leader for too long.  I would like to keep the thread going, but we need some topics to discuss.

What's your next race?
Have you been following a specific plan?
Do you think you are ready?

Which of the 3 sports have you improved the most in since starting triathlons?
What do you contribute your improvement to?
2010-03-30 8:58 PM
in reply to: #2758986

User image

Mammoth Lakes
I was thinking the same thing a few minutes before you posted your message.  I agree, do you guys want to continue?  I was orignally thinking about doing this until end of March, so let me know.

Other wise, Karen,  you are so awesome.  I admire you in so many ways, you are so persistant, gungho, and full of possitive energy!  Thank you for being part of this group.

Sorry for my absence everyone.  There has been a few unexpected personal hiccups occuring this entire time the forum has been going on.  Everything is okay, but whew, it is enough to make you want to take long naps and hide your head in the sand.  I feel I have been dragging myself through this year.  Is Mars in Retrograde or something?

Anyway, here is a short update on my latest adventures.  I did the Ironman Oceanside 70.3 this past weekend.  I have been phyched for this race for a few weeks but unfortunately not everything went well.   From prerace to finish, everything but a flat tire happened.  Here is the super quick race report:

prerace: 
My hotel room was so nasty.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was a methlab.  Seriously, it had a really bad chemical smell and I was having heart palpatation and has anyone else ever been to a hotel room where the light switch covers where covered in dirt, they didn't give you towels and the lamp shade had dirt smudges?  Okay, I knew it was a budget hotel but for the price, I was expecting motel 6, Quality Inn type accomadations.  It wasn't this cheap. Of course, there wasn't anywhere else to go...

Next, My sun glasses broke the night before the race.  We had to make a run to the grocery store for crazy glue and attempted a glue fix since there wasn't anyplace to buy new glasses.

Swim. 
My goggles broke when I got kicked in the face at the start.
I picked the wrong person to draft off of. She was the slow person in the group.
Wet suit chaff on my neck by the end of the swim, I have no skin on the back of my neck all the way to my ears.  Ouch.

Bike.
Sunglass fix didn't take and they rebroke when I put them on after the the bike mount.
This was one of those days where it jusrt wasn't coming together.  I couldn't get goingand ended up racing 14 beats below my normal heart rate average.  WHAT? I've had races where I never even when as low as my average heart rate during the whole race!

Run.
Started great then...calf cramp?  how is this possible at mile 4 when I haven't even gone hard yet?  After 7 stops to stretch my calf, I finally finished- 11 places back and 25 minutes slower than I was expecting.   But at least I finished and I wasn't the last pro.  Final time...4:51 one of the worst results I have ever had.

I am thinking about doing the Las Vegas Rage Sprint in two weeks and I am currently signed up for Wildflower Half the first weekend of May.

Let me know if you guys want to keep it going.  I will be around on and off over the next 2 months with races.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL Rss Feed  

of 17